Obama snubbed Dalai Lama to appease China: Telegraph

posted at 3:35 pm on October 5, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama somehow couldn’t carve out any time in his busy — nay, Olympian — schedule to meet with the Dalai Lama, despite almost two decades of precedents for presidential tetes-a-tetes with the Tibetan leader-in-exile.  The Telegraph reports that the decision is no scheduling accident, but a deliberate snub predicated on diplomatic pressure from China:

It means Mr Obama will become the first president not to welcome the Nobel peace prize winner to the White House since the Dalai Lama began visiting Washington in 1991.

The Buddhist monk arrived in Washington on Monday for a week of meetings with Congressional leaders, celebrity supporters and interest groups, but the president will not see him until after he has made his first visit to China next month.

Samdhong Rinpoche, the Tibetan prime minister-in-exile, has accused the United States and other Western nations of “appeasement” toward China as its economic weight grows.

“Today, economic interests are much greater than other interests,” he said.

Mr Obama’s decision dismayed human rights and Tibetan support groups, who said he had made an unnecessary concession to the Chinese, who regard the Dalai Lama as a “splittist”, despite his calls for autonomy rather than independence for Tibet. The Chinese invaded in 1950, forcing the young leader to flee.

This is quite a departure for Obama, who called for a boycott of the Beijing Olympics to protest a brutal crackdown on dissent in Tibet.  Human-rights advocates are dismayed at the reversal, including some in Congress, who see this as dangerous appeasement.  The administration says through its sources that it wants to focus on Chinese cooperation on North Korea and Iran and do not want to annoy China unnecessarily ahead of those negotiations.

This is an instance where everyone on all sides make too much of the situation.  While no one disputes that China’s rule over Tibet has been brutal and totalitarian, it’s been about the same as its rule everywhere else in China.  The Dalai Lama has been an international celebrity for many years, but successive meetings with presidents have done nothing to change Tibet’s status.  Furthermore, American Presidents have to focus on America’s needs, and if Obama can get China to bend on North Korea and especially Iran, skipping one meeting with the Dalai Lama would be well worth it.

Obama will be President for another three years, during which he will have plenty of time to meet personally with the Dalai Lama.  In fact, even the Telegraph reports that the White House tried to get the Dalai Lama to reschedule his visit for after Obama’s negotiations with China, presumably allowing Obama to then meet him personally, but that request was refused.  That certainly seems like the Obama administration made a good-faith effort to balance human rights with our need to gain cooperation with China on Iranian nukes.

I don’t think that snubbing the Dalai Lama will gain us that cooperation, of course, but avoiding a deliberate diplomatic provocation hardly counts as appeasement.  In this case, I’d say that the Obama administration got it right, and that American interests trump a photo op with the Dalai Lama.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bleeds Blue…all those big words and “I’m better than thou” rhetoric yet NO compassion for the Tibetan struggle (you’ve given up it seems). You better re-think how awesomely kinder you think you are in contrast to the conservatives here because they care more about Tibet than YOU do.

Gob on October 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Did those words seem big to you? Sorry, I will use smaller ones from now on.

Since you seem to know, please tell me how Obama should be freeing Tibet.

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Assuming that “American interests” were at stake.

TwinkietheKid on October 5, 2009 at 4:39 PM

I could not disagree more. In addition to the jaw-dropping flip flop since The One pontificated about boycotting the Olympics, this is a cowardly act and does nothing but show weakness. What’s next, btw? Dissing Taiwan so we don’t “annoy” China?

Compare and contrast:

President Bush, raising Beijing’s ire, presented the Dalai Lama on Wednesday with the U.S. Congress’ highest civilian honor and urged Chinese leaders to welcome the monk to Beijing.

The exiled spiritual head of Tibet’s Buddhists by his side, Bush praised a man he called a “universal symbol of peace and tolerance, a shepherd of the faithful and a keeper of the flame for his people.”

“Americans cannot look to the plight of the religiously oppressed and close our eyes or turn away,” Bush said at the U.S. Capitol building, where he personally handed the Dalai Lama the prestigious Congressional Gold Medal.

The Dalai Lama, chuckling as he stumbled over his remarks in English, said the award will bring “tremendous joy and encouragement to the Tibetan people” and he thanked Bush for his “firm stand on religious freedom and democracy.”

Buy Danish on October 5, 2009 at 4:41 PM

lorien1973 on October 5, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Heh.

I don’t even have an Obama sticker, though I tried to find one for a recent road trip through the red states.

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM

And your car wouldn’t even get keyed in said red states. If I, however, put an anti-Obama sticker on my car here in Madison I wouldn’t be so lucky.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Sadly, my car is hardly worth keying. And, if you get keyed for an anti-Obama bumper sticker, ring me and I’ll help you kick the dude’s butt. I’m guessing Wisconsin is beautiful this time of year, and Bart Starr was a hero of my youth, I’d be glad to make the trip.

I tore off a few bumper stickers in my impetuous youth (though I never took a yard sign) but actual permanent damage is unacceptable, especially from my team.

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM

LOL Bleeds Blue…you tell us..you’re the LIB.

Gob on October 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Why? Do you want to test whether or not we’re as small minded as liberals who openly talked about refusing to help a pregnant woman who was stranded on the side of the road, just because she had a W sticker on her car?

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Bow your heads in shame fellow Americans, bow your head in shame

Wouldn’t expect much more from the One.

galtg on October 5, 2009 at 4:45 PM

“Gunka galunka”

pseudonominus on October 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Sorta confused, it’s like snubbing the Queen. I guess because anybody who’s anybody meets the Dalai Lama whenever he steps foot in the US.

ProudPalinFan on October 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM

As you may have noticed, I like a good, spirited discussion. And I was genuinely curious about what reactions it might bring.

And I am skeptical about your pregnant woman story but am willing to denounce the principals should you provide any real proof.

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Bleeds Blue – What are you running a 9-3 or a 9-5? I picked up an 01 9-3 this summer to replace my old daily driver. Love that car. Never passed so many people in my life, just love blowing off Prius’s with Obama stickers.

CBP on October 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

“Obama will be President for another three years…”

No, he won’t.
This Administration along with the leadership in Congress is too corrupt and arrogant to survive intact.
Obama himself is so arrogant and self-absorbed to the point that he is a legend in his own mind.
He is unwavering on his domestic agenda to the point he lashes out at those who oppose him in a way that makes Nixon look like a Boy Scout.
He is also weak internationally. The only resolute bone he has in his body is towards Israel. Otherwise he caters or cowers to those that oppose the US.
Oh, and this Administration treats lying as a standard form of communication.
Mix all those into one pot and you have the recipe for disaster.

This country has the worst leadership it shall ever have, and our enemies will move to take advantage of the situation. They would be foolish not to and, unlike Obama, they are not fools.

Kind of a crappy deal for a lot of people, but what is one to do?

SwampRat on October 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

PLEEEEEASE end this nightmare. I’m so sick of Obama that I could puke. I’m going door to door to raise money for the RNC. Never done it before, but I’m getting a new pair of nikes and hitting the road.

marklmail on October 5, 2009 at 4:53 PM

But what about all those Free Tibet bumper stickers in Vermont?

Dhuka on October 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM

As if we need a history lesson in order to “remember” what occurred in the 20th century in China and Tibet, or “remember” what Asia was like in the 19th century, 18th, 17th, 16th, whatever century. Yes, their culture remained relatively static for what seems to a young American as “forever”. Asia, much like the rest of the world, existed for thousands of years ruled by feudal war lords, with religious orders in monasteries, leaving the masses as starving peasants scraping life from the earth.

Your Penn and Teller documentary: Penn & Teller is a double act consisting of an amalgam of illusion and comedy. Almost as classy as Michael Moore, almost. If you learn your history from Hollywood, at least catch David Carradine’s Kung Fu television series.

Admit that in their day, those who were servants in monasteries had secure food and shelter and cultural education, unlike the peasants in the fields owned by others, or even a family farmer with his own piece of land to work. The same applies to the historical servants of European nobility, even during the Re-awakening and Enlightenment. Being a servant meant employment, the economic difference between being a pauper and the social stability to raise a family with security.

You must not be aware of the segregation in Tibet TODAY, as the young Chinese emigrating into Tibet are decimating the native population via abuses of all sorts.

The original point regards Obama snubbing the human rights of the people in Tibet who are less than 2nd class citizens in Communist China. China, government and people, treat Tibetans like cattle for slaughter. And it is above Obama’s pay grade to acknowledge the human rights of anyone but himself, Michelle and his two girls. As Michelle prioritizes, “What will this do for my girls?”

maverick muse on October 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Speaking of Bumper stickers:

Tibet will never be free
till Men with Rifles make it so!”

GunRunner on October 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM

CBP on October 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

It’s a 9-5 wagon. Picked it up used for a very decent price and love driving it — greatest “family” car ever and, when I inflate the tires properly — gets decent mileage with two kids and a full “pit.”

Are we officially off topic yet?

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Are we officially off topic yet?

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Why? Is that the only way you get paid?

GunRunner on October 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Sadly, my car is hardly worth keying.
Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Conservatives don’t vandalize, not even your Chrysler/Dodge that ain’t worth jack squat.

maverick muse on October 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM

I’m not familiar with that story, but in a larger context it rings true. I’ve lived in the deep south, small town Wisconsin and Madison. Madison is, by far, the most close minded of the three. I describe it as reflexively hostile towards anything deemed not to be progressive.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

The Dalai Lama actually said in a Q and A after a speech earlier this year that the person he most admired in the world was George W. Bush.

That pretty much blew any chance he had of getting a meeting with Barack Obama.

rockmom on October 5, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I’m not too sure that Obama can stand another bout of bad karma. Dissing the Dali to appease the Chicoms? That sounds like it’s gonna pi$$ Karma right off.

And as Earl says, ‘that karma, she’s a b*tch!”

DrW on October 5, 2009 at 5:05 PM

“Gunka galunka”

pseudonominus on October 5, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Big hitter, the Lama.

DrW on October 5, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Maybe off topic, but I figure if I can get you talking about cars, first I’ll turn you into a motorhead, get you excited about a decent set of wheels. Eventually you’ll get interested in buying a pickup truck. Of course it will have a rifle rack that you’ll need to fill. We can give you some great pointers in that area. Then you’ll be off to seeing the NASCAR races and coon hunting. Pretty soon we’ll Bleed the Blue out of you and turn you into full, Red Blooded American.

So, a wagon is great for a family, but you need to go with the 9-3 4 door hatchback. It probably has as much room as the wagon in the hatch area. Then you need to replace the exhaust from the turbo back with a full 3″ exhaust. Next step is to get the computer reprogrammed. You can pick up an extra 85 horsepower with those two items. A larger intercooler might be needed down the road, but only if you’re doing a lot of hard runs, not necessary for the occasional quick spurt.

CBP on October 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM

So, joe_doufu, really, the Dalai Lama owned no slaves at all. That was just a term used for dramatic affect.

Even the Penn and Teller skit noted that in the grand scheme of things, Communist China is a whole lot more evil that the Dalai Lama.

What was your point again?

TexasDude on October 5, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Re: the bumper stickers and keying and such:

My brother lives in Duluth, MN — about as union blue as you can get. He put a W sticker on his car, even though he’s so libertarian that he could never convince himself to vote for W, just to see what would happen.

From 2007-08, he averaged over one keying a week, along with innumerable flippings-off. He’d retouch the paint himself (he’s a pretty good body man), park it in the same place, and see it happen again.

I told him to at least put up a video camera for youtube purposes, but he said he was just proving a point to himself about “progressive” narrow-mindedness, and the legacy of “action politics,” thanks to the proud union traditions up in “Minnesota nice.”

notropis on October 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM

under the bus you go

Alden Pyle on October 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM

If I could I would, but it’s a minor story. A liberal blogger wrote about her experience driving past a woman who was stranded on the side of the road and pregnant. She told in her blog how she wanted to stop until she saw the W sticker and then wanted to stop only to tell the lady off.

I searched Google in vain, but it would have proved nothing even if I’d found it, as the blogger was no more known to you than I am. Same with the liberals who responded to the post. It’s just a story that has stayed with me ever since, especially as liberals are now preaching civility.

I have nothing against it, but where the hell have they been?

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I feel for you. I think I’d die in a place like that. I sometimes don’t know when to keep my mouth shut.

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Dear Mr. Lama,

You’re dead to me.

Love ya,

Barry

Wyznowski on October 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Nothing in this paragraph that I’m not already in favor of (though I confess that I don’t get NASCAR as a spectator sport).

See — compromise is possible.

Speaking of coon hunting and NASCAR, you ever read this?

We’ll drive the 9-5 until it dies and the second kid leaves home — then I’m all over the 9-3. Years ago I was hitchhiking in Germany and got picked up by a guy in a Saab hatchback who liked to drive about 130 on the autobahn. Scared the heck out of me but left a lasting positive impression about Saabs.

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM

That’s great. Now if only someone could convince me that the Obama administration gives a flip about American interests (besides the likes of Van Jones and others he’s in bed with). I mean All of America..starting with our soldiers on the ground.

bridgetown on October 5, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Well, the One is certainly doing a lot of pre-emptive caving on all sorts of issues.

Here is a question for all the deep thinkers on the left;

As Ogabe caves in to China and Russia and shows weakness to Iran and the rest of the world, will they;

A. Love us and try to make nice from now on.

B. Appreciate the gesture and give us something in return.

C. Laugh their asses off while they plot their next move, knowing that they have The One by the shorthairs.

D. Nuke Israel

reaganaut on October 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM

What was your point again?

TexasDude on October 5, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I think you missed the part about how the Dalai Lama did own slaves, as did many other members of the priest class. My point was that glorifying a slave-owning despot is a pretty ridiculous way to stick it to the communists on the issue of human rights.

Communist China is not more evil than the Dalai Lama’s Tibet was (as if that means anything anyway). China is moving in the right direction on human rights, albeit slowly, and we need to encourage them with diplomatic carrots and sticks.

Barry’s approach is all wrong — making ourselves financially dependent and militarily weak does not enable us to pressure or encourage China. However, holding a beer summit with the Dalai Lama is not the cure.

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM

(though I confess that I don’t get NASCAR as a spectator sport).

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM

I don’t either, but then neither did my parents until they went to a few races. They own some shops and got free tickets, and they’ve since become fans. Apparently, there’s some strategy in having to race for several hundred miles and needing to know when to pass someone and when to fill up on gas. And being there in person, supposedly the noise of the engines makes it exciting as well.

Despite what I’ve always believed, people go for more than just the crashes.

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Asia, much like the rest of the world, existed for thousands of years ruled by feudal war lords, with religious orders in monasteries, leaving the masses as starving peasants scraping life from the earth…

You must not be aware of the segregation in Tibet TODAY, as the young Chinese emigrating into Tibet are decimating the native population via abuses of all sorts…

We are not talking about ancient times, we’re talking about the late 1950s. When the Chinese communists were building schools and roads and hospitals, sending “barefoot doctors” into the villages to eradicate polio and smallpox, and promoting women’s equality, the Tibetan slavemasters were still gouging people’s eyes out and cutting off hands.

I know all red-blooded Americans love to hate China, but let’s put things in a little perspective, please.

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I know all red-blooded Americans love to hate China

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Well, not more than France or Canada.

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 5:57 PM

“When the Chinese communists were building schools and roads and hospitals, sending “barefoot doctors” into the villages to eradicate polio and smallpox, and promoting women’s equality,”

Oh, the glory days of human rights under Chairman Mao.

notropis on October 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 4:26 PM

You & the other dofuses who support Obama can spin this all you want (I mean, really, your lame strategy seems to SMEAR the Dali Lami) but the fact remains that Obama is a man who has no problem cozying up Hugo Chavez, but is disdainful of a Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Dark Star on October 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM

joe_doufu, did you even pay attention to the end of Penn and Teller’s skit that you linked to?

Seriously, even though they recognized that atrocities that happened in Tibet under the Dalai Lama’s rule, they notice, correctly, that a crap-load of worse has happened under Commnist China’s rule.

When China invaded Tibet, do you honestly think that nothing violent occured? Do you truly believe that they just changed flags and no one was killed, tortured, or sent to various types of gulags?

Sorry, but Mao was violent and truly evil as were most of the early Communist leaders (and in my view the current ones).

Blood rolled in Tibet when China marched in.

Your argument is bogus on its face and Penn and Teller proved it.

TexasDude on October 5, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I am not an Obama supporter; and yes, I am disdainful of more than a few Nobel Peace Prize winners. (Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and Yasser Arafat come to mind.)

I am just a person who has spent a few years living in China and found to my great surprise that the people over there are actually human beings with souls. Most of them would make pretty good conservatives — they are entrepreneurial, believe in hard work and education, and have conservative family values.

Mao was a nut, but it’s an irresponsible oversimplification to describe every project of the CCP as evil. Curing disease in the villages and giving women equality in the workplace were two accomplishments that they deserve credit for.

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM

It’s a beautiful city with a lot to do (lakes, good college football/basketball/hockey programs, varying seasons, lots of great bars and restaurants). It’s problem is progressive group think and heavy taxation with little to show for it.

Great place to live when you’re young, but my wife and I are getting out when we decide to have a family.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I linked the video for fun, but as I recall, they showed Tibet weighing down the scale more than China; then concluded by saying that we should be comparing evil with good, not wasting time deciding which evil is more evil.

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:10 PM

This was Hillary Clinton in 1995, long after China marched into Tibet, detailing China “promoted” women’s equality.

(Yeah, sure, Mao’s China made life better in the 1950s for the Tibetans … whatefever)

….

“It is time for us to say here in Beijing, and the world to hear, that it is no longer acceptable to discuss women’s rights as separate from human rights,” Mrs. Clinton told the Fourth World Conference on Women assembled here.

“It is a violation of human rights when babies are denied food, or drowned, or suffocated, or their spines broken, simply because they are born girls,” Mrs. Clinton said, or “when women and girls are sold into slavery or prostitution for human greed.

“It is a violation of human rights when women are doused with gasoline, set on fire and burned to death because their marriage dowries are deemed too small” she continued, or “when thousands of women are raped in their own communities and when thousands of women are subjected to rape as a tactic or prize of war.”

Continuing with references to domestic violence, genital mutilation, coercive abortions and sterilizations, Mrs. Clinton told the delegates from more than 180 countries, “If there is one message that echoes forth from this conference, let it be that human rights are women’s rights and women’s rights are human rights, once and for all.”

TexasDude on October 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Mao was a nut

Being responsible for over 30 million deaths takes you a bit beyond “nut” category.

notropis on October 5, 2009 at 6:11 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Tens of millions of dead people would like to say it wasn’t worth it.

I’m sure the Chinese people are swell, but I don’t like the government all that much. At least they’re actually better capitalists than we are, these days anyway, so I’ll give them that.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Sounds smart. Planning on one sometime soon?

The same thing seems to be true of San Francisco. It’s a beautiful city, and my husband fell it love with it when we visited for our first anniversary, but he gets enough political talk from me as it is and would hate to live with me there (he leans liberal but isn’t very political).

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I don’t think we are all really disagreeing on much. My point is only this: glorifying a modern-day slave-owning despot is not the way to make a point about human rights.

The Chinese people have been taught in their schools the (true) facts about slavery and cruelty in pre-Chinese Tibet. When they see US presidents and movie stars shaking hands with that criminal, it just reinforces what their leaders say about American hypocrisy. We can’t prevent the Chinese government from using anti-American rhetoric as a weapon, but we can prove that their rhetoric is untrue.

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Assuming they’re given access to that proof. The Chinese may know the bad past of Tibet, but they’re blocked from learning about what their government has done.

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I’m less than a year out from a deployment, but when I get back we’re out of here. I’ve been to San Francisco three times, and one of them I got to stay with a friend right off the Haight-Ashbury intersection. Absolutely gorgeous, and absolutely not a place I’d ever want to live.

(he leans liberal but isn’t very political).

My wife’s from Chicago and the daughter of two Democrat voting teachers, but has since seen the virtues of individual liberty and the slow suicide of liberalism. Reason usually prevails in the end, so I’ll hold out hope for your husband.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Why not? He snubbed the Army in Afghanistan to pacify the Muslims and Soros.

MaiDee on October 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM

How can you NOT appease China. You’re praying they continue to buy our debt. If you’re Obama, you’re trying to push new programs, nobody wants, and spending trillions over the long haul to do it.

Jeff from WI on October 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Penn and Teller confuse things.

Matter of fact, it is pretty much the same line that China has since they invaded stated and are currently touting, that under China’s rule, Tibetan life is much, much better.

Sure, sure, I am sure that Mao, after killing millions of his OWN people, he spared the Tibetans.

Yeah … right.

He saved his best side for non-Chinese. Yep, sure.

Now, I am curious, who is living under serfdom now? Who is living under the laws that prosecute woman as Hillary so clearly stated in 1995 now?

joe, you are doing nothing more than putting forth Chinese Communist propaganda with no more evidence than the Chinese government’s words, which the New York Times was so eagerly to do last year.

TexasDude on October 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Understandable you’d want to wait then. Stay safe.

Absolutely gorgeous, and absolutely not a place I’d ever want to live.

Exactly my feeling.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Very cool. I think I’ve had an effect on my husband. When we first met in high school, we’d argue over everything, politics, philosophy, religion… A few years later, and he’d come to a different realization on God. A few years more, and he’s seemed to calm a bit.

He doesn’t vote (though I still push him to). If he did, he’d vote Dem, but he doesn’t view Obama the way most on the Left do (he calls him a weasel), and he’s not sold on single payer or many of the other liberal platforms. So there’s still reason to hope. He’s smart enough at least.

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Let`s do some chat, Mr. Morrissey:

Furthermore, American Presidents have to focus on America’s needs, [Obama has NOT focused on America`s needs as you bloggers of Hotair have amply proven, nor does he appear prepared to do so in the future] and if Obama can get China to bend on North Korea and especially Iran [Here you are apparently dreaming some utopian dream, if you expect China to bend. China is known for NOT bending (excepting the late 19th and early 20th centuries)since ancient times. China considers itself the Middle KINGDOM and it always will. Bending is for others, not for China.] skipping one meeting with the Dalai Lama would be well worth it.[Of course BENDING to China may have some minimal effect, but do you think continually bending to China is really the answer? China likes to see the US bend, I can assure you.]

Sherman1864 on October 5, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Jeff,

Drudge is leading with this right now (but no link)

ARAB STATES LAUNCH SECRET MOVES WITH CHINA, RUSSIA, FRANCE TO STOP USING DOLLAR FOR OIL TRADING… DEVELOPING…

Yay!

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I think it was my being in the military that got her conversion started. Her mom hadn’t known a single person in the military until she met me. She got a pretty good look at some of the far left attitude towards the military going to school in Madison. Now she’s what I would describe as a strong hawk libertarian (which is why she likes Allahpundit so much).

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM

The society was ruled by Monks. It was a theocracy. It was an isolated society whereby the power and money was concetrated in the Monks, but as the Germans of the 3rd Reich noticed, they were violence free.

Now. In the 1950s, comes Mao and his Communist Chinese.

Sure, sure, it was violence free then too … right?

Come on!

TexasDude on October 5, 2009 at 6:39 PM

So leftards, how are all those “FREE TIBET!” bumper stickers working out for you? lol!

Hope and change! LOL!

The Chewbacca Defense on October 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM

The NY Post headlines write themselves: “Cultish political leader snubs cult leader”, “God’s gift snubs godhead”, etc.

Travis Bickle on October 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I think that’s the easier transition for liberals. I think many people have something against what they see as Christian intrusion in the GOP. I don’t think many seriously consider the Democrat plans for taxes and spending and foreign policy.

I’m leaning towards hawk libertarian myself. I’d like to see a little more thought put into drug legalization (many seem to believe it’ll just create taxes and act as though no downsides exist), but I’d take that as a trade off.

It kinda has me interested in seeing where Palin might go with this libertarian kind of approach, though I wonder if she’s the proper spokesperson for it right now.

I think the military is a stumbling block of sorts. Liberals have been disgraceful at times in its treatment of our soldiers, which is unnecessary in policy differences (a friend recently told me a story about her brother and how he was spit on; I didn’t think that still happened.), but our men and women in uniform are almost always incredible representatives. I’m not surprised you were able to change her mind.

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Since you seem to know, please tell me how Obama should be freeing Tibet.

Bleeds Blue on October 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Screw freeing Tibet. Obama (your leader) should be freeing the blacks from Welfare and other entitlements that have kept them as slaves in perpetuity much to the prosperity and financial largesse of their white slavemasters in the Liberal party, a/k/a Democrats.

Cluebat!

Key West Reader on October 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Esthier on October 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Absolutely. Social transition is a long, slow process. The economic transition usually just requires a semi-detailed look at factual data.

The half of the country that doesn’t vote is what Steyn calls ‘cultural liberals’, in that they’re liberal by default as a result of leftist dominance in public schools and the media, and not because they’ve arrived at the position through any kind of objective search for truth. It’s why people tend to become more conservative as they get older and encounter real world things like a mortgage, taxes and trying to raise a family, and what makes Churchill’s quote on the subject so timeless.

Great conversation, but alas, I must make my way to the bar to watch my favorite team play against my favorite player. Heartache.

BadgerHawk on October 5, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Should we really expect anything else from a fellow Communist? Someone who sat in a church preaching Marxist Theology for 20 years.

Blue Collar Todd on October 5, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Obama wanted it on his schedule so he could show power…no other reason.

tomas on October 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Hah.

Teh One would deliver the Dalai Lama bound hand and foot to the ChiComs if it would get him a trillion in T-Bill sales.

Human Rights? [except for the Unborn; the dead can still vote 'rat]
Freedom for Tibet? [Hell, what about freedom for us?]

Only if there’s a bump in the polls in it for him.

CPT. Charles on October 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Just imagine if George Bush had done this. The media and human rights groups and Hollywood would be screaming about this for weeks.
Obama does it and…..silence.

Bottom line with the liberals, they do not believe in their causes, they believe grabbing and keeping power.

albill on October 5, 2009 at 7:17 PM

but avoiding a deliberate diplomatic provocation hardly counts as appeasement.

There’s the squishy ed we all know and shake our heads at. clinton snubbed him also. Bush invited him to the White House and spent more time with him the barry deems necessary for the general running one of our wars.

This is an instance where everyone on all sides make too much of the situation.

Squishy people don’t think freedom and justice are really as important as some make them out to be. You really are a piece of work, ed, but I’ve got to hand it to you, you’re making alot more money now then when you were a bill collector.

peacenprosperity on October 5, 2009 at 7:20 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Mao killed 10′s of millions in the “Great Leap Forward” and you talk about Equality in the workforce.

How about this, I get to be leader, kill every African American in the U.S. but fund some Aids station for Native Americans and impose rules preventing discrimination.

Will you support me?

GunRunner on October 5, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Come on Joe Doufu, Do I get your Support? After all I am supporting Equality and the medical stations I will establish will do so much good. How about it. Can I get a left Wing Amen?

GunRunner on October 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Hey Joe, Don’t leave! I am just not feeling the Love here Joe. 30, maybe 40 million dead, tops! Equality in the Workplace Joe, Medical Aid stations set up, promise. CCP wasn’t so bad, I just want to bring it here, bring it home as it were. Come on Joe Doufu, it isn’t so bad, right.

GunRunner on October 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM

We need better Trolls…

GunRunner on October 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM

It definitely counts as appeasement. I may choose to regard your loving references to your First Mate as “provocative” but it’s really none of my business, and if I were so insolent as to suggest you stop, as a favor to me, and you went for it, you couldn’t call it a bold statement of self-respect.

Chris_Balsz on October 5, 2009 at 8:20 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Right, we despise the CCP because we’re simplistic and ignorant cretins projecting our own foul attitudes onto peaceable peasants. It’s not as if we value those peaceable peasants more than a totalitarian state that starves them by the million, hurls them over the border in wars of aggression to fight artillery with slogans and burp guns, and shoots gays, shoots union organizers, shoots protestors, shoots Catholics, shoots ethnic minorities who speak the wrong Chinese, shoots failed bureaucrats, and thinks forced labor is a groovy be-in.

Chris_Balsz on October 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Barry’s just afraid that the Dalai Lama would see into his empty suit …and giggle.

Obama: weakening America every day in every way.

AUM.

profitsbeard on October 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM

joe_doufu on October 5, 2009 at 6:07 PM

One of Mao’s boasts was that he would eliminate sexual diseases from China. He tried to make good on that boast.

How? He initiated a People’s Health Campaign. He exhorted the masses to go the People’s Health Clinics for examinations and screenings. The name of every ‘comrade’ who had a ‘social disease’ was duly noted.

After the campaign was finished, the names were compiled, and then they were shot. Tens of millions were killed to cleanse China, not treated and cured, they were shot.

Sometimes, a people survive and prosper in spite of nation’s ‘leadership’, but not always.

BTW, Mao’s boast ultimately proved to be a failure.

Imagine that.

And yes, I view Teh One’s boasts with equal trepidation. Lord knows he makes enough of them.

CPT. Charles on October 5, 2009 at 8:53 PM

We are all under the bus.

hillbillyjim on October 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Yet another poor choice. No big surprise there.

ReneePA on October 5, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Another profile in courage from JFK II. Sheesh!

smellthecoffee on October 5, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Hey, Republic of Boulder, what will you choose? Will you get the “Free Tibet” bumper stickers or the Obama bumper stickers? Doesn’t it suck being China’s bi**h?

mamagetsamini on October 5, 2009 at 10:09 PM

He is kind of like the Charles de Gaulle of Tibet . If we were to defeat his enemy and restore him to his theocratic dictatorship , his moral superioity would dictate he stab us in the back at the first opportunity .

borntoraisehogs on October 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Why is the Dalai Lama coming to the U.S.?

Doesn’t he know we already have Dalai Bama?

agmartin on October 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM

It is appeasement. Because he is the first American President to bow to Chinese wishes, he will be ssen in China as weak.

The main reason is the trivial nature of the Dalai Lama in the scheme of things

While Obama may have judged (stupidly IMHO) that because the Dalai Lama issue is much smaller than trade issues, or negotiations with N. Korea he could afford to blow it off, the fact is everyone and the Chinese understand he is only blowing off the shaved head guru of Holywood to placate China.

Would he otherwise blow off this easy liberal icon? It stands out as a gesture of submission.

With the American economy laid low, and the Chinese money bag full, this is the worse time to make the gesture.

Wonder what the Chinese will want next? Something small and easy. If Obama caves again they can play the small against the large and the fish will bite the small hook every time.

entagor on October 5, 2009 at 10:41 PM

C’mon, it’s not the Dail Lama’s a Holocaust denier or anything.

No meaningful dialogue for him.

Hawkins1701 on October 6, 2009 at 12:55 AM

C’mon, it’s not the Dail Lama’s a Holocaust denier or anything.

No meaningful dialogue for him.

Hawkins1701 on October 6, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Dalai Lama, obviously.

Hawkins1701 on October 6, 2009 at 12:56 AM

International News: For those interested, a couple of cities in Japan–Hiroshima and Nagasaki–want an Obama visit. Japan is a good ally with many US bases on its soil. Might be a good idea. Beats a visit to Copenhaaagen, at least!

Then again I note that Japan complains and whines every August about the atomic bombs that ended the war quickly and saved lives. On the other hand, Obama would just go over there and apologize for the bombs, too. Nevermind.

Wait! You mean the Dalai Lama is NOW in DC and Obama won`t even see him?? Not even for a beer–er–tea??
Yep. That is too much bending over and grabbing the ankles to the Chinese for my taste.

Beyond the Pale of the extremes of pitiful.

Sherman1864 on October 6, 2009 at 3:18 AM

Oh, Lord! Obama IS going to visit Japan. I can hear the apologies flying already before Obama`s flight even arrives there!

Or perhaps he has learned not too apologize so much??

Enquiring minds want to know.

IF he manages to make a decent speech in Japan, it will be his first such decent speech.

I recommend he stay away from the puffer fish sashimi, though! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraodontidae

The above link for the poisonous vertebrate enthusiasts!

Sherman1864 on October 6, 2009 at 3:54 AM

Now there is a real surprise, this century’s great appeaser passing up the opportunity to signal our nation’s continued disgust with the repressive regime in China that brutally raped Tibet. Golly gee whiz Mr. Wizard, are they really a communist dictatorship that sponsors free enterprise and hold what 2/3 of our debt. Golly, golly, we really can’t take the chance that visiting with some half baked Budhist delusional descendent of the Budha might offend the strong arm of our suppliers and lenders now can we? What would Wal-Mart sell if China got upset with us? A pox on his house – he is a gutless wimp.

georgeofthedesert on October 6, 2009 at 9:35 AM

The first President to shun the Dalai Lama. Hey hippies, how’s that Hope ‘n Change?

At least Carter was a Naval officer. Obama’s a worm in a suit.

rcl on October 6, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Richard Gere just blew a couple of gerbils out of his butt. I guess the Obama stickers come off his car next……

adamsmith on October 6, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Contrast Obama’s behavior with MN Governor Jesse Ventura, who was not only eager to meet the Dalai Lama, but graciously asked him if he’d ever seen Caddyshack.

Chris_Balsz on October 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM