Gray Lady: White House clueless on Olympic bid

posted at 9:15 am on October 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I must admit I was a little surprised to read this scathing account of cluelessness and incompetence in the effort to land the 2016 Olympics for Chicago in the New York Times … until I realized it ran in the Sports section.  However, political reporters Jeff Zeleny and Peter Baker wrote it, and their inside look at the run-up and the reaction at the White House shows just how much this administration has bought its own press:

Losing out on the Olympics, of course, is not the sort of war-and-peace issue that defines a presidency, and the embarrassment will presumably fade in a news cycle or two. But it provides fodder for critics who are already using it as a metaphor for a president who, in their view, focuses on the wrong priorities and overestimates his capacity to persuade the world to follow his lead. …

A sense of stunned bewilderment suffused Air Force One and the White House. Only after the defeat did many advisers ask questions about the byzantine politics of the Olympic committee. Valerie Jarrett, the president’s senior adviser and a Chicago booster who persuaded him to make the trip while at the United Nations last week, had repeatedly compared the contest to the Iowa caucuses.

But officials said the administration did not independently verify Chicago’s chances, relying instead on the Chicago 2016 committee assertions that the city had enough support to finish in the top two. Mr. Obama, Michelle Obama, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and Ms. Jarrett worked the phones in recent weeks without coming away with a sense of how behind Chicago really was.

Let’s see.  The White House jumped in front of a situation without understanding it, relying on the word of political cronies to shape their comprehension without checking for themselves.  Only after they failed did they ask themselves about the political environment in which they made their proposal.  Are we talking about ObamaCare, cap-and-trade, or the Olympics?  It’s hard to tell.

No one can accuse the Times of assigning an Obama-hater to this story, either.  The last we mentioned Zeleny, he was hitting Obama with a hard-hitting question about how enchanted he was with being President.  It doesn’t sound like Zeleny and Baker are terribly enchanted with Obama and his staff at the moment, nor should they be.

In short, this is a microcosm of the entire administration.  They entered into a situation about which they knew nothing and put the prestige of the presidency on the line without bothering to listen past themselves and the Daley Machine in Chicago.  It only occurred to them that they didn’t know the first thing about the situation until after having wasted their time and distracting themselves from much more pressing — and presidential — matters of war and the economy.

It’s not the end of the world, but perhaps it’s finally the end of the fawning and obsequious assumptions of brilliance about Barack Obama that have informed his media treatment since January 2007.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Take your best shot at defending this traitor or STFU.

highhopes on October 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM

erm…no…you don’t set the conditions for my posts.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM

erm…no…you don’t set the conditions for my posts.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM

erm…no.. I don’t set any conditions and don’t have the power to stop your moronic posts.

I was calling you out to support the moronic crap you are posting. So far you’ve failed to do so. Not that I’m surprised.

highhopes on October 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

It is fast becoming the case that not only do I not like Obama’s policies, I am coming not to like HIM! And I doubt I am alone in this.

potkas7 on October 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM

No, you’re not alone. Though it does seem your’re a little behind schedule. While you still like Obama, maybe a little less this week than last, many people haven’t liked Obama since about 10 minutes after he hit the national spot light. And for good reason.

Way before too many Americans drank the Kool-aid, and gave Obama the White House, conservative media opened it’s own book on Obama’s history. People were glued to this book day and night for month’s. It wasn’t a la-la kumbaya story, it was a story of a lying shapeshifter with big plans to “fundamentally change America.”

The Kool-aid drinkers can’t see the shapeshifter. Those that didn’t drink up can. Others, for whatever the reason, didn’t read the book.

On the bright side, it won’t be long before you don’t like Obama at all.

Gang-of-One on October 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM

scalleywag on October 3, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Shouldn’t throw traffic to the trolls who plant comments and then “report” on them. They just like CBS, but less relevant.

ray on October 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM

erm…no…you don’t set the conditions for my posts.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Your stupidity does that. And it is very impressive stupidity, I must say.

progressoverpeace on October 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Yeah right, when hell freezes over.

Susanboo on October 3, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Gray lady is starting to realize the man they worship is a false god who can not deliver one item of value. Hell, he’s a false man, a false American, a false intellectual, etc. He barely even justifies the use of the pronoun “he”.

ray on October 3, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Oh dear…
That’s the problem with an “Obama Fail” high. It’s not so pretty when it fades away.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM

That’s ok.

Shouldn’t be too long before our next fix. :O)

David2.0 on October 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM

erm…? Who says “erm”?

anniekc on October 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Oh, and Chicago lost the Olympics.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Cities go across the pond all the time to try and make deals. Sometimes they lose. If this Olympian effort was an official US enterprise, they should have taken the Secretary of State with them.

Seems to me like we should just change our tactics and submit an Olympic bid that isn’t confined to just one city-how about a “New England Olympics” or a “Pacific Northwest Olympics”?

Del Dolemonte on October 3, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Oprah, Barry and Chewie get taken down by a frenchman. What more can on add?

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I’m sure the Obamas saw it as automatic – just show up and those IOC peasants will vote for the visiting royalty who lowered themselves to bestow an appearance on them.

rgeaste on October 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM

He can dissappoint me, lie to me, at shoot me, denigrate me, blame me for all the evil in the world, deny me my rights and throw me under the bus and I will still vote democratic!

Reality Check on October 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM

I bet Chicago would have gotten more votes if the Obama entourage hadn’t gone and if they hadn’t given those nauseating speeches.

rgeaste on October 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Reality Check on October 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Stuck on stupid!

OldEnglish on October 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I just saw the page where AnninCA claimed she was a fiscal conservative in favor of a public option.

She ought to join forces with Kardashians against Krabs.

Chuck Schick on October 3, 2009 at 9:58 PM

He can dissappoint (sic) me, lie to me, at shoot me, denigrate me, blame me for all the evil in the world, deny me my rights and throw me under the bus and I will still vote democratic!

Reality Check on October 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM

Sure, anyone who wants the option of stealing from their neighbors and denying their rights will always vote for the democratics regardless of the extent of their failure.

ray on October 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Oh dear…

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I wouldn’t know. The Ozero Administration has been on a continuous FAIL mode since November. The issue you are seeing here is that there are simply oscillations in the magnatude of the fail at any given time. This latest was a major uptick in the fail scale.

Besides – a fail for a marxist loving narcasist is, by definition, a win for those who believe in the principles held by the great founders of this great country.

Just for kicks, let’s list some ozero fails

- Putting a tax cheat in as sectreas
- Naming other tax cheats and withdrawing them (too many to list)
- 57 states
- ‘my muslim faith’
- ‘rev’ jeremiah “God D*MN AMERICA” wright
- AF 1 buzzing new yawk
- Dissing the troops during the campaign to go shopping
- grabbing his little package during the national anthem
- Mocking a veteran’s war injuries
- The “special olympics” gaffe
- “The cops acted stupidly”
- Putting a known commie in as “Green Giant Jobs CZar”
- Putting a pedophile supporter in as “Safe Schools czar”
- Cash for clunkers
that is just the appetizer. I’m sure we could get this list to 100 or more in about a half hour even on a saturday night

Larry Moe Curley and Shemp could have done a better job running the country than obozo.

So dude, there has not been any letdown on the ‘obama high fail’. He keeps mainlining the country with Fail after fail after fail after fail. Wonder if the ghosts of TR, Lincoln, Reagan and others will start to visit him at night…

bullseye on October 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Gray Lady?

That Leftist whore of a paper is no lady.

BigAlSouth on October 3, 2009 at 11:19 PM

bullseye on October 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Actually, If Obama and the thieving 52% who voted for him wanted to destroy America, they are off to a good start.

OldEnglish on October 3, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Reality Check on October 3, 2009 at 9:52 PM

You really do need a reality check, Reality Check. That’s about the stupidest thing I’ve read on here. If Hitler were a Democrat, you’d vote for him, too?

Special K on October 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM

So here’s the question I’d like to see addressed…

Daley was pulling the strings on this whole Olympics thing, and I don’t think there’s much doubt about that. Just how much control does Daley have over this administration, anyway?

commenter on October 3, 2009 at 11:30 PM

rat bastard traitor

highhopes on October 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM

As a Navy vet this really resonates with me.

Oh, and filthy lying coward strikes a chord too.

The sound of truth.

Gang-of-One on October 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Just for kicks, let’s list some ozero fails

- Putting a tax cheat in as sectreas
- Naming other tax cheats and withdrawing them (too many to list)
- 57 states
- ‘my muslim faith’
- ‘rev’ jeremiah “God D*MN AMERICA” wright
- AF 1 buzzing new yawk
- Dissing the troops during the campaign to go shopping
- grabbing his little package during the national anthem
- Mocking a veteran’s war injuries
- The “special olympics” gaffe
- “The cops acted stupidly”
- Putting a known commie in as “Green Giant Jobs CZar”
- Putting a pedophile supporter in as “Safe Schools czar”
- Cash for clunkers

bullseye on October 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM

This is a joke, right? This is what’s causing the “Hate Obama” wank-fest and associated celebration?

Ok, working from your list:

Obama: “Cash for clunkers”
Bush: September 11, 2001

Obama: “57 states”
Bush: Katrina

Obama: “Cops acted stupidly”
Bush: Iraq war

Obama: “The ‘special olympics’ gaffe”
Bush: Torturing prisoners

Thank goodness Bush finally caught bin Laden…erm, never mind.
A President who fails? Where have you been for the last eight years? The last administration was peddling the crack cocaine of FAILURE!

But you just keep dancin’ and high fivin’ because Chicago lost it’s Olympic bid, which means Obama “failed”.
When you wake up tomorrow, he’ll still be President and you’ll still be desperate for your next “fail” fix.

(Pssst! I hear we’re losing the Superbowl to Kiev next year because of Obama!)

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

As a Navy vet, it also resonates with me.

RAT BASTARD TRAITOR

I also seem to smell a troll fart from chump change.

Dhuka on October 3, 2009 at 11:50 PM

bullseye on October 3, 2009 at 10:42 PM

sharpshooting if I’ve ever seen it.

Gang-of-One on October 3, 2009 at 11:53 PM

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I’m sorry, I’m not very good with such things as body language, typing code, and picking up on sarcasm.

Could you include the sarc tag next time, please?

OldEnglish on October 3, 2009 at 11:55 PM

I also seem to smell a troll fart from chump change.

Dhuka on October 3, 2009 at 11:50 PM

stinkin’ BDS suffering kool-aid drinker?

Gang-of-One on October 4, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Obama, the guy from Chicago who accomplished less than nothing as president of the USA. He never found a problem he couldn’t make worse, and was often able to create a problem where none existed. In the end nobody believed him, let alone trusted him.

ray on October 4, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Yeah, It’ll be hard for the Obamaniacs to blame racisim for this flop. Of course, it won’t stop them.

Perhaps this is the clue some libs need to realize he isn’t *the one* and quit worshoping him (yeah, like that’ll ever happen).

Unfit For The Internet on October 4, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Threads, you still have not answered the question. What greatness has BO done? Are you going down the list point out every presidential failure clear back to U.S. Grant? We all know of Bush’s failures so please let us know what BO is going to do to get the economy rolling and by the way what was Kerry going to do about Iraq? I have to go to work in a few minutes so please let us know quickly.

garydt on October 4, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Threads by the way Pssst,,, BO still has control of the media and thats why you never hear of his mistakes. Remember controlling the MSM has its good points for an incompetent fool.

garydt on October 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM

The only joke is that 52% of the country was ignorant/greedy/stupid enough to vote for ozero.

Ok, working from your list:

Obama: “Cash for clunkers”
Bush: September 11, 2001

Bzzzzt – wrongo – A good deal of the blame can be put on the guy who spent his time stuffing portly interns with cigars. William jefferson clintoon. Jamie Gorlick initiated the wall between the cia and fbi which hamstrung our intelligence.

Obama: “57 states”
Bush: Katrina

Oh yeah, GWB conjured the hurricaine by using voodoo in the oval office. WHat about ray “chocolate city” Nagin. The guy who left the school busses to flood, refused amtracks offer to take 1000 people out and was a corrupt t*rd. Oh, and what about William “Cold Cash” jefferson who used critically needed resources to get his bribe money out of da fridge.

Obama: “Cops acted stupidly”
Bush: Iraq war

Well, maybe if you had had a real history lesson or two you would know that we have been at war with Islam since about 700 AD or so. It was knocked back real good in 1683 when 3000 of Jan III Sobieski’s winged hussars shattered the 30,000 strong left wing of the turkish army. That basically stopped the islamization of europe in it’s tracks for a while.

Obama: “The ’special olympics’ gaffe”
Bush: Torturing prisoners

Bwahhhh, cry me a freaking river. Obama thought it was OK to throw newborn babies into storerooms to die of starvation, dehydration and exposure. Murdering innocent babies trumps pouring water on islamic psychopaths.

Oh yeah, one of the ‘tortures’ was to have a well endowed female rub her breasts on the poor prisoner. Ain’t our fault that they are stuck in a medieval mindset.

Thank goodness Bush finally caught bin Laden…erm, never mind.

You obviously understand little or nothing of history and warfare (no surprise eh?). You would have to understand the concept of compartmentalization and terrorist cells to understand that getting bin laden isn’t critical. We did get the big hairy oaf though and did the crispy critter hellfire on a dozen or so others.

Aren’t alternate universes wonderful??? GWB kept the terrorists off balance for 8 years. Now obozo is freeing them from gitmo, bowing to the saudi king, insulting our allies and not even talking to the afghan theater commander.

The only reason I’m high fiving is because of the possibility of a 2010 conservative landslide followed by Palin/Bolton winning the presidency in 2012.

I visited Rome this summer. It was once the center of power of Europe and the near east. It fell because of greedy, lazy citizens and incompetent rulers. The people who caused it to fail resembled today’s liberal democrats.

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

bullseye on October 4, 2009 at 1:30 AM

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

By the way, you didn’t have any comment on Ozero’s two czars I mentioned..

are you or are you not in favor of putting an avowed communist in a position of power?

Are you or are you not in favor of putting a man who endorsed a pedophilal statutary rape situation in charge of ‘safe schools?’

C’mon man. Simple question that I’ll bet you don’t have the testicular fortitude to give a straight answer to.

cheers mate.

bullseye on October 4, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Bush: September 11, 2001

Almost all of Al Queda’s planning for 9/11 went on during Clinton.
Clinton had up to a dozen opportunities to get Bin Laden extradited to this country when he was HQ’d in the Sudan before he moved AQ to Afghanistan.

Bush: Katrina

There was nothing wrong with the Bush Administration’s response to Katrina.
If anything, it was overly generous–folks were still living in those temporary FEMA trailers as recently as this past summer!
The only ones who screwed the pooch on Katrina were Mayor Ray Nagin and Gov. Blanko.

Bush: Iraq war

There’s nothing wrong with the Iraq war, either, as wars go.
BTW, this war was approved by a bi-partisan Congress after an 18-month “rush to war” during which both political sides had their discussion.
Operation Iraqi Freedom resulted in getting rid of a tyrant, liberating 30 million people, making sure that Iraq had no WMDs (impossible without invading) and getting rid of thousands of jihadi bad guys, all at minimal loss of our soldiers’ lives and civilian lives, too.

Bush: Torturing prisoners

There’s no evidence to show that we’ve ever tortured prisoners, aside from waterboarding 3 high value ones.
(Virtually all of our military doesn’t consider waterboarding torture.)

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

NObama made himself look like a yutz (and consequently the U.S.A.) by making such a big deal of going over there, thinking it was a sure thing for Chicago to get the Olympics if he just showed up and spread his fabulousness around.
Meanwhile, black teens are being murdered on the streets of his Chicago in broad daylight in the community he supposedly “organized.”
Your HA screen name is aptly chosen: you’d have to be a chump to defend this bozo!

Jenfidel on October 4, 2009 at 1:44 AM

chumpThreads on October 3, 2009 at 11:45 PM

You’d think you trolls would compare notes so as not to make the same stupid comments one after the other, night after night.

csdeven on October 4, 2009 at 2:17 AM

“Only after the defeat did many advisers ask questions about the byzantine politics of the Olympic committee”

Typical liberal response to their failure -blame somebody else. Since they’re perfect, others must be at fault. The slam at being Byzantine is default liberal nonsense, as only they are modern and cool. Those old fashioned Republicans only want the status quo, while they want new and exciting programs -bridges to the next century. The idea that new is good and old is bad, is childish, but that doesn’t stop them and their Kool-aid drinkers from following the Madison Ave hype that new is better. Failed Marxism, with a new box, a new ad agency, a prettier label (progressive?) is still failed Marxism, and only shallow people can’t see the similarity under the packaging (halos and foam pillars)and rush with glee and enthusiasm (there’s electricity in the air)toward the destruction of a once great nation.

Don L on October 4, 2009 at 4:41 AM

rgeaste on October 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Oh, I don’t know, at least with their speeches Chicago didn’t come in dead last…er…ah…wait..oooppps!

LOL

Jeff from WI on October 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Does anyone outside of DC still consider the NYTimes a credible news source? I know I don’t.

Captain Kirock on October 4, 2009 at 5:50 AM

Captain Kirock on October 4, 2009 at 5:50 AM

No, but they’re in good company. I don’t consider any newspaper a news source any more. I also don’t consider ABC, NBC or CBS a source either.

Jeff from WI on October 4, 2009 at 6:25 AM

TOLJA SO—US Olympic Committee backbiting their own corruption.

Not only did the newbie executives lay off 54 employees, they gave themselves a 30% raise in pay, and failed to show up for IOC meetings to represent the USOC Chicago bid. NO SHOWS appear at the last minute like Chicago muggers doing a hold-up on the international stage, and get kicked out.

NYT:
Last October, Larry Probst, the chairman of the video-game publisher Electronic Arts, replaced Peter Ueberroth as the committee’s chairman. In March, Probst and the board removed the chief executive, Jim Scherr, and appointed a board member, Stephanie A. Streeter. The executives in charge of sport performance, marketing and human resources were also replaced.

The turnover angered many leaders of the national governing bodies of Olympic sports, who chafed at the corporate backgrounds of Probst and Streeter and their lack of Olympic experience. The relationship further soured when it was revealed that the board had approved an annual salary of $560,000 for Streeter — a 30 percent increase over Scherr’s — months after 54 employees were laid off.
Some wondered whether Probst and Streeter hurt Chicago’s chances when they failed to show up to a meeting of I.O.C. members in Lausanne, Switzerland, where host cities were invited to make presentations.

Probst and Streeter, who were in Copenhagen, were contacted through their representatives, but did not return calls. /duh

maverick muse on October 4, 2009 at 6:57 AM

Remember controlling the MSM has its good points for an incompetent fool.

garydt on October 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Time to read foreign press online translations, or the London Times for starters.

Only a sorry excuse for a sonuvab!tch would demand to feel good at the expense of the entire nation he shames and horrifies.

Why should good Americans all be made ashamed of their government for the first time in their adult lives so that Michelle Obama can feel proud of her country for the first time in her adult life? Where’s the social justice, the equity “spreading the wealth”? No, that’s trickle down poverty, sharing the misery permeating from the dark side.

Why should our entire nation and free world be subjugated to radical Islamic terrorizing destroyers so that Obama can have his way being a pussy for jihadist pleasure? Is life with Michelle so bad that even Obama dreams of those hordes of virgins?

maverick muse on October 4, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Althouse, LOL

Nobody yelled out “You lie,” but what a lie!

Labels: boring Obama speech, lying, Michelle O, Obama stumbles, Olympics

posted by Ann Althouse at 10:01 AM

maverick muse on October 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM

I predict that there won’t be a 2016 Olympics.

We will be well into WWIII by then.

TheSitRep on October 4, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Obama is universally clueless and his gross ineptness and incompetence will eventually overwhelm this poor sick Republic.

rplat on October 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Comiing late to the thread, but had hayrack party last night (you know us gun-toting, bitter Conservative voters like a good Iowa Fall barn-raising, bonfire, beer-drinking hayrack party–right?)

Another symptom of a lack of forethought (DVDs to Gordon Brown versus the U.K.’s gift of historic significance, announcing the end of protection for Poland on the anniverary of the Russian invasion, etc.)? Or is the bubble that opaque? Where are the thinking adults in this administration?

publiuspen on October 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM

It’s not like it wasn’t for lack of foreplay

They need a good scrubbing now. That sticky stuff doesn’t come off from a simple shower. With them it’s crusty by now.

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I don’t think there was much of a mess, not after that flacid performance of the One and his groupies. Obama was probably looking forward to having a good smoke afterwards…

lovingmyUSA on October 4, 2009 at 10:58 AM

I agree with one of the posters above that it was Barack and Michelle’s sense of entitlement, after a lifetime of getting handed things simply because they were black, that made them think that they would go to Denmark and return with the Olympics.

What an eye-opener they must’ve gotten that the rest of the world doesn’t believe that they owe the Obama’s anything.

Mahdi Al-Dajjal on October 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM

What a letdown. I guess this means Valarie Jarrett will have to use her own money to fix up her slums. Oh wait, I feel a federal grant for that next. I would rather have the mafia running this country…less corruption.

Wills on October 4, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Maverick muse, and highhopesabout that rumor–about plans to replace Sec Gates:

Obama plans to replace Sec.Gates by year’s end with a yes-man who has NO concept regarding national defense except to walk away from that responsibility.

maverick muse on October 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM

More interesting to me is if Mike Mullen will get reconfirmed or if the lying coward has somebody else lined up to become his yes-man as CJCS.

highhopes on October 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM

The liberals want Hagel–
“Kristol Floats ‘Plausible Rumor’ That Hagel Will Replace Gates, Calls Him ‘An Advocate Of Retreat” Everywhere’

Check out the interview of Kristol with Huge Hewitt

For those who don’t know about Chuck Hagel (makes me shudder to even type his name.)
“Chuck Hagel: Opposition Senator”
“Who is the most outspoken and through-provoking Senate critic of the Bush administration’s misguided foreign policies?

Hint: The boldest opposition voice is not that of a Democrat.

Over the course of the past week, Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel, a maverick conservative Republican from Nebraska…”

Very scarey reading–especially the last 3 paragraphs….

lovingmyUSA on October 4, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Personally I think the IOC was grossed out by the collective Michelle/Oprah/Valerie halitosis and the fact that Barack’s blame Bush and Whitey schtick is so last year.

inevitable on October 4, 2009 at 11:46 AM

maverick muse and highhopes: You can’t imagine the horror of this “rumor”…

maverick muse on October 3, 2009 at 4:21 PM

highhopes on October 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM

*SHUDDER*–There really IS a rumor!
Kristol Floats ‘Plausible Rumor’ That Hagel Will Replace Gates, Calls Him ‘An Advocate Of Retreat Everywhere’

Hugh Hewitt interview–worth reading: http://www.hughhewitt.com/transcripts.aspx?id=60fdaea3-b7c0-46bb-b42d-61046f06189b

For those who need a refresher course on Hagel:

“Chuck Hagel: Opposition Senator”

Hint: The boldest opposition voice is not that of a Democrat.

Over the course of the past week, Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel, a maverick conservative Republican from Nebraska,

Michelle even remarked about him:
“IF CHUCK HAGEL WERE A GITMO INTERROGATOR…”
By Michelle Malkin

Here’s Rush on Hagel: “Why Doesn’t Liberalism Have to Change When Democrats Lose?”

Here’s what some Libs say about Hagel (besides thinkprogress):

Chuck Hagel is quickly becoming Barack Obama’s answer to Joe Lieberman.–Huffinton Post

Wonkette states: Sen. Chuck Hagel (Neb.), who has made a reputation as a go-to Republican for an anti-White House quote, may have outdone himself yesterday in an address before the Council on Foreign Relations in New York.

Hagel, who considered running for the GOP presidential nomination as an antiwar candidate, told the foreign policy experts that he would give the Bush administration “the lowest grade of any I’ve known.”

“I have to say this is one of the most arrogant, incompetent administrations I’ve ever seen or ever read about,” Hagel said, according to our colleague Robert Kaiser, who attended the speech. In case his audience didn’t get the point, Hagel also said: “They have failed the country.” (Wonkette states: And he had just been seeing or reading about every administration on YouTube or Wikipedia! [WP])

lovingmyUSA on October 4, 2009 at 12:03 PM

The IOC dissed the President. And his wife. And, Oprah.

Score one point for the Europeans, who managed to make Obama look like a pompous knucklehead

This is worth at least two 25 DVD sets of classic American movies

entagor on October 4, 2009 at 12:07 PM

“Chuck Hagel: Opposition Senator”

Hagel is a been nowhere, done nothing phony ex-radio announcer. His background is totally unimpressive and his knowledge of national defense ranks right up there with most Army privates. We’re quickly transitioning into a classless, weak willed, incompetent third world nation. This poor sick country is sliding down the sewer at warp speed.

rplat on October 4, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Looks Like the IOC did a little “vetting” something foreign to the mainstream presstitutes!

dhunter on October 4, 2009 at 1:19 PM

As a Beatles fan…

Obama was a man who thought he was a leader

But he knew it wouldn’t last.

Obama [only] left his home in Chicago, Illinois

For some Liberal Party brass.

Get back, get back!

Get back to where you once belonged

Get back, get back.

Get back to where you once belonged.

Get back Obama. Go home!

Get back, get back.

Back to where you once belonged

Get back, get back.

Back to where you once belonged.

Get back Obama!

(HT to Kitchener Conservative–I pirated his idea…
http://kitchenerconservative.wordpress.com/ )

lovingmyUSA on October 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Ed,

As your boss — who I will herein refer to for purposes of distinction, as “the other Michelle” — wrily noted here, the speech FLOTUS made to the IOC was rather lacking in, shall we say, ahhh . . . credibility?

From her actual IOC speech trancript she linked to, a little FLOTUS quote, if I may:

Some of my best memories are sitting on my dad’s lap cheering on Olga and Nadia, Carl Lewis and others for their brilliant perfection. Like so many young people, I was inspired. I found myself dreaming that maybe just maybe, if I worked hard enough, I too could achieve something great. But I never dreamed that the Olympic flame might someday light up lives in my neighborhood.

(my emphasis added)

Michelle Malkin wrily noted that, if true, it looks like Michelle Obama (nee, Robinson) was sitting on her father’s lap cheering on Carl Lewis at the age of twenty in 1984.

And, I’d add that the fact that her father, Fraser Robinson III, who was born in 1935 and passed away in 1991, was quite ill at the time, makes her story even less credible.

As FLOTUS herself said in the transcript linked above — “[I]n dad’s early 30s, he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.” At least her Carl Lewis story, therefore, sounds like hokum.

Carl Lewis first competed in the Olympics in 1984 — as you will recall, Jimmy Carter had scotched the United States participation in 1980 Olympics over the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

In 1980 Lewis was only beginning to emerge as a top level, world class track and field athlete, though he had qualified for the ’80 Olympics in two events. For example, at the beginning of 1981, his personal best long jump was one he had performed while in high school — but he went on to set world records in both track and field events thereafter.

The IOC ultimately made Carl Lewis their “Sportsman of the Century.”

Perhaps she could possibly be designated as the early favorite for the B.S. artist of the new century?

Trochilus on October 4, 2009 at 2:39 PM

This is worth at least two 25 DVD sets of classic American movies

entagor on October 4, 2009 at 12:07 PM

It’s hard to make a pompous knucklehead look like a pompous knucklehead. The true beauty of it is that the filthy liar in the White House, his spouse, Oprah, and Richard Daley all are not used to being told “no.” The way they skulked back into the country with their collective tails between thier legs was priceless.

highhopes on October 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Mahdi Al-Dajjal on October 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM

It’s worse than that. Chicago didn’t lose out on the Olympics they came in dead last by a wide margin when the filthy liar clearly thought showing up and granting the IOC a royal audience would make the difference. Their humbling experience was indeed a “teachable moment” and one that is awesome to watch. Why? Because it was the day that the filthy lying coward in the White House fell off the pop culture express.

highhopes on October 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM

They entered into a situation about which they knew nothing and put the prestige of the presidency on the line without bothering to listen past themselves and the Daley Machine in Chicago. It only occurred to them that they didn’t know the first thing about the situation until after having wasted their time and distracting themselves from much more pressing — and presidential — matters of war and the economy.

That’s the MO, to whit, “The cop acted stupidly”

AH_C on October 4, 2009 at 2:57 PM

oops. the strikeout should been a blockquote

AH_C on October 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Does any one see anything wrong with a President who pushes for something which benefits his home town when he is supposed to represent the WHOLE country? Does he work for Chicago? I see a President who has difficulty representing the entire country.

tullius on October 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM

But where is the sense of outrage over the cost to taxpayers for this “junket” when unemployment is going through the roof, the economy continues to sag and war rages on various fronts?

wepeople on October 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM

We really DO need to find the total cost of this fiasco and then broadcast the numbers loud and wide!!!

jgdp on October 4, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I say “The One” should send I-Pods to everybody on the Olympic committee with his and Michelle’s speeches!

Star20 on October 4, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Let’s see. The White House jumped in front of a situation without understanding it, relying on the word of political cronies to shape their comprehension without checking for themselves. Only after they failed did they ask themselves about the political environment in which they made their proposal.

Could’ve been talking about the Gates/Crowley arrest incident here, too.

hawksruleva on October 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I bet the NYT feels like the SNL writers, though. They’re mad at Obama for not achieving the lame crap that they want pushed through, stuff that the majority of Americans are against. We’re against Obama for the stuff that he IS trying to do.

It’s tough, being President and trying to please everyone. Maybe that’s why the best Presidents just try to do the right thing, instead of pleasing people.

hawksruleva on October 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM

We must be fair! President Obama has one accomplishment of note: He is the best, without any doubt, BEST salesman for firearms and ammunition this Nation has ever seen, bar none!

The industry needs to give the guy an award for singlehandedly making each and every month since NOV 2008 record sales months. He has eclipsed Clinton! I know I’m doing my best to help the Nation recover in that venue. At this rate I don’t know if I’ll ever have enough, and the man is pure gold on sales without even TRYING!

Outside of that he is classically SOS: Stuck On Stupid.

ajacksonian on October 4, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Could’ve been talking about the Gates/Crowley arrest incident here, too.

hawksruleva on October 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Why stop with that one event…..

That statement also applies to:

Closing down Gitmo.
Military Strategies in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The public opposition to healthcare reform.

And virtually every loyalist appointed to a “czar” position. The filthy lying coward in the White House has yet to have a clean vetting process to important positions with some really scary people lurking around the edges without any sort of Congressional oversight.

highhopes on October 4, 2009 at 9:33 PM

ajacksonian on October 4, 2009 at 9:15 PM

All the better when we get to the “Woolverine” stage of opposition to this administration.

highhopes on October 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM

hawksruleva on October 4, 2009 at 8:04 PM

That’s not the issue here. The filthy liar in the White House was supposed to be the left-of-center guy who would use his majority in Congress to push through decades of socialist ideology- all the time keeping up the facade that he was a post-partisan bi-racial leader.

It was a situation that was doomed to fail.

highhopes on October 4, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Problem was ACORN was distracted and didn’t tell him dead people can’t vote even if they are buried in a cemetery there.

lsheldon on October 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Even friends hate failure.

Osis on October 5, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Spend over a MILLION DOLLARS on flying the jets over there and THE FIX WASN’T IN!

That is NOT the “Chicago way”…

Khun Joe on October 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM