Axelrod: We got robbed on Olympics because of “politics”

posted at 12:44 pm on October 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The ultimate irony in sour grapes since the French lost a wine contest in the mid-1970s to California.  What White House has ever indulged in more elbow-throwing for its pet causes than the Obama White House, after all?  Just this week, we heard from a Democratic challenger in the Colorado primary that revealed an attempt to buy him out of the race with a position at USAID.  Complaining about politics from this White House is like the Yankees griping about being put at a disadvantage from the free-agent system.

And yet, here we have David Axelrod, attempting to recover from the dumbest political gaffe of the administration by blaming the very international politics Barack Obama tried to exploit:

Top White House adviser David Axelrod says “politics” played a key role in the International Olympic Committee’s decision to reject President Obama’s appeal in support of Chicago’s bid to host the 2016 Olympics.

In an interview moments ago on CNN, Axelrod said, “I don’t view this as a repudiation of the president or the first lady. I think that there are politics everywhere, and there were politics inside that room.” Axelrod said that a former head of the IOC was leading Madrid’s effort for the games, and others involved in other Olympic bids also had connections with the IOC. “As with any process like this, there are all kinds of crosscurrents in the room, there are relationships,” Axelrod said.

Asked for details, Axelrod said, “I’m not suggesting anything nefarious…I’m not suggesting anything untoward happened. There are politics around every process, and there were here as well…There were relationships that paid off for some of the other cities.”

Why did Obama go to Copenhagen in the first place?  He and his staff thought that he could use his supposedly tremendous international popularity to bully the IOC into picking Chicago.  Now they’re complaining that the IOC had other politics to consider, and that somehow that was unfair.

Boo fricking hoo.

Why did the White House put the prestige of the American presidency on the line for the 2016 Olympiads in the first place?  Even Al Gore seemed taken aback by that earlier this week, and warned that Obama had better not come back empty-handed, lest he look like a fool.  They seem to have an inordinately high opinion of their own influence on world leaders and organizations, and Obama apparently has no one to whisper Sic transit gloria in his ear when he embarks on these triumphs.

In short, this debacle closely resembles Greek warnings about the crippling nature of hubris.  What an embarrassment.

Update (AP): Here’s more spin this afternoon from Axelrod, mindlessly droning, as he must, that of course The One would needlessly stake his international political celebrity on this humiliating clusterfark all over again if he had to.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

BWAHAHAAAAAAAAAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

nyx on October 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Obama’s Neville Chamberline moment?

Anyone else wonder if the IOC told Obama he was a lock to risk this then they played him like a fiddle to mock him/USA???

Or is Obama just this stupid?

FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!!

jp on October 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

It’s RACISM, i tell you!

drjohn on October 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Someone needs to ask him if AKDP worked pro bono…

ninjapirate on October 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

mmm mmmmm mmmmmm Barack Husein Obama mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm Barack Hussein Obama!!

mcl2177 on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

In short, this debacle closely resembles Greek warnings about the crippling nature of hubris. What an embarrassment.

Excellent summary of the situation in a single sentence.

Prediction: he won’t learn a thing from it.

AUINSC on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

This decision is actually a testimony to how effective Obama has been. He has been trying desperately to convince the world that the USA is nothing special. Looks like it’s working.

Daggett on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

D’OH !!!!

Obama will say: “I have bigger things on my plate”

jake-the-goose on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

We done got outfixed outfoxed!

cthulhu on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Coronagold on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Obama has spent nine months telling the world how awful the US has become. It’s entirely reasonable for IOC to avoid such a terrible place.

drjohn on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Daggett on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

ding dong, this is nothing compared to what will happen with Russia, Iran, Venezuala, etc. in coming years.

jp on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

This is a MAJOR FAIL for Obama, set up by Obama and his media fanbase.

Which, just makes it more funny.

Thousands of crooked Chicago pols and their contractor backers are weeping. There goes a HUGE score.

Moesart on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Shut-up Axelrod!

You got robbed because the Clown Car Posse of Obama, Omama, and Oprah showed up in Copenhagen instead of the thousands of American Sports and Olympic heroes that should have gone! Face it Dave… your boss has zero leadership, in this Olympic bid or any other Executive issue!

IntheNet on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Can’t you see all the happy dictators jumping for joy? As much as I love to see his ego get stomped,I hate how America looks to the world right now.

ohiobabe on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Holy cow, I agree with Mr. Manbearpig on something. There’s a rip in the universe.

Monica on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Karma a pain in the ass. Bring on thy humpbot.

bessex on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

na na na na

na na na na

heeyy heyy heyyy

goooood bye

angryed on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I blame the Joooooooooooooooooooos, or the racists (I cannot remember which)….it’s early and I am only on my 2nd cup of coffee.

HawaiiLwyr on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Ed’s back!! This is going to be a big diversion from Health care over the weekend. Look for Obama to use Obamacare as a shield from answering Olympic questions.

WashJeff on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Please, please, please let there be video of Michelle and The Oprah in tears. Please….!!!!!

SouthernGent on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

We should send Obama an iPod with that IOC speech looped on it.

Coronagold on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

So says an expert on making everything political.

Beaglemom on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I live in Chicago. I couldn’t be happier that we lost this debacle! It would have been a burden on the taxpayers for generations to come and would only have benefited Mayor Daley’s Mobbed up, criminal buddies. When I heard we lost it all I could do was laugh and think that there IS A GOD!

Warner Todd Huston on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Axelrod reveals his recipe for future American Olympic hosting opportunities…trashing the IOC!

What a brilliant strategist.

NickelAndDime on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Odumbass heard the news.

mmm mmm mmm

txag92 on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Democrats are such losers!

daesleeper on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

There spinning so hard their failing at it.

Poor axeldog what nice things you have to say about the IOC. Your Jesus just isn’t all that you say he is.
Loser

Brat4life on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Obama had better not come back empty-handed, lest he look like a fool.

Ha.

BowHuntingTexas on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

If I were the U.S. Olympic Committee, I’d be bracing for my federal funding to be cut to $0 sometime in the near future (and while I posted in another thread that Obama might want to force the U.S. out of the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and the 2012 Summer Games in London as a joke, listening to Axelrod here, you’ve got to think someone in the White House or Obama has already tossed out that same thought in anger after today’s decision).

jon1979 on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

whoooo hoooo Rio!

HawaiiLwyr on October 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM

It is RIO!!!!

d1carter on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Obama was out Chicagoed in Copenhagen, must be something rotten in Denmark.

hip shot on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Drudge headline says it best – THE EGO HAS LANDED

lanesmerge on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

It’s Rio!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah baby….

PatriotRider on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Hopefully Axelrod adds “Vigorous Hair Washing” to his Hygiene Heptathlon.

marklmail on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

IT’S RIO!!!

D2Boston on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Obama’s Caligula moment. He comes back to Rome, er, the U.S. dragging trunks full of sea-shells and proclaiming that they’re gold coins.

SilentWatcher on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Mr. Axelrod,

Please shave your comb over off.

Thank you.

bridgetown on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I guess the IOC is just not that into the “ONE”….

d1carter on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

He need a Cairo speech to recover from this.

lorien1973 on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

ohiobabe on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I hear you but I hated it a lot worse during the iran election debacle, the Honduran ‘coup’ debacle, the missile shield debacle….

Monica on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

I wonder how much money Axelrod is out, from the corrupt machine buying up all the land, in hopes of a cash-in.

MNHawk on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

So Axelrod admits there are no ACORN or SEIU members on the IOC committee?

booter on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

It was Bush, Michael Jordan, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Republicans opposed to Obama’s health care legislation, the vast rightwing conspiracy, taxpayer protesters, Chicago, and…um…everyone else’s fault.

What a turd. EAT IT, AXELROD. Your boy got owned big time on the world stage and you don’t know what to do about it.

Good Lt on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Breaking-Rio got the Olympics in 2016.

Del Dolemonte on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

He need a Cairo speech to recover from this.

lorien1973 on October 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Is that what started this?

WashJeff on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

This is the tipping point. Obama turned himself, his wife, and Oprah Winfrey into international laughingstocks.

RushBaby on October 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

mmmm mmmm mmmm

Barack lost the Olympics

mmmm mmmm mmmm

Barack lost the Olympics

drjohn on October 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Axelrod: We got robbed on Olympics because of “politics”

Nice to see the “Chicago Way” doesn’t always work. Looks like there’s hope for this country after all.

Tommy_G on October 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

So if Chicago had gotten the games………it wouldn’t have been international politics that did it? Idiots.

Once again, just goes to show that B.O. thinks the best way to fix any problem is for him to show up with his t’prompter and run his mouth.

epik fale

JoeinTX on October 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Breaking-Rio got the Olympics in 2016.

Del Dolemonte on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

YAAAAAAAY!

RushBaby on October 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Or is Obama just this stupid?

FIRST ROUND!!!!!!!!

jp on October 2, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Me. I thought it from the start.

RagTag on October 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Ed, after reading this, there’s nothing to comment about other than the fact that there’s nothing to comment about.

You’ve covered it all.

unclesmrgol on October 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmm

The schadenfreude will be deliciously ripe and particularly tasty this weekend. Stock up, pile it on, and pass it around. It’s practically free and there’s plenty for everyone!

SilverStar830 on October 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM

What? David Axelrod didn’t manage to find a way to blame George Bush? Give him a day or two….he’ll find a way.

olesparkie on October 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I think that I cracked a rib laughing. Never in my life have I been so happy to have been so wrong. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a corrupt bunch from the IOC would spurn a corrupt bunch from Chicago.

Physics Geek on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Both him and Michelle centered their sales pitches around themselves. Their wants. Their life stories. They really think that the IOC gave a rat’s rear about that.

Hey, I really thought that this was a done deal myself. I’ll admit it. I didn’t think there was any other way they’d make such a big show of it otherwise. Either way, I think it is a good thing. Giving Chicago politicians the Olympics is like giving an addict a kilo of coke. They were going to siphon off money from every direction possible.

Still, I can’t believe they were eliminated first. I think it’s funny and I think the people in Illinois saved billions over the years, but I still can’t believe it.

stldave on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Axelrod: We got robbed on Olympics because of “politics”

Is the bus big enough for the world?

At least it wasn’t the fault of Bush.

RagTag on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Shorter Axelrod: Obama sucks at big-boy politics.

Dusty on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Hahaha

Axeldork blaming “politics”.

darwin on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

He’s blaming the VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY?

Jeff from WI on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Did anyone notice how similar the picture of Axelrod in the still from the video looks to one former German dictator?

BioTeachEd on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 PM

He didn’t “blame” politics. He acknowledged politics and that the delegates had other things to consider besides the Prez. It was a pretty straightforward statement, and very unwhiny.

Bleeds Blue on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Mr Clinton used to free prisoners in S Korea
Mr Obama fails at IOC
Mr Carter, well, we all know.
Seems Presidential status is on the wane.

But Hey – Samba Dancers!!!

tomg51 on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

RushBaby on October 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM
////
And our country,if we’re not already b/cause of this egomaniac!

ohiobabe on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Seems the appropriate thread for this quote from Jen Rubin at Commentary:

It’s also another reminder that, apparently, there isn’t anyone influential enough in the White House to keep the president from embarrassing himself. No one to say, “Enough with the talk shows.” No one to explain that presidents should not invest their personal credibility and standing to beg the IOC on behalf of his hometown. No one, unfortunately, to direct him back to the job of making timely, forceful decisions to defend America’s real interests.

Quisp on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I live in Indianapolis. I’m often in Chicago. I can tell you that the Olympics in Chicago would have been a disaster. I didn’t want the U.S. to win this bid. I would’ve been fine with Atlanta, Los Angeles, Dallas, Houston, but not Chicago.

However, I think that the glee about this that I’m seeing on conservative blogs and hearing on Rush and Beck is misplaced and will likely create some sort of backlash against conservatives.

We can appreciate that this is the right decision for Chicago and America without being gleeful and giddy about it.

Yes, this is a loss for Obama, but it’s also a loss for American prestige. There is no way that this is a victory for any American.

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Think it could have been the street murders or the street beatings that take place everyday in the shitehole of Chicago?
The best thing in Chicago is Molly’s Cupcakes in LP – Home of the Ron Bennington has his own cupcake Cupcake.
Ron and Fez – 11-3 XM 202 Sirius 196

GO BIRDS!

igglesphan on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I can see how a figure skater or a gymnast could blame his Olympic loss on “politics.”

But a US Presidentgets his ass handed to him in the most humiliating possible fashion. And THIS is the excuse he comes up with?

logis on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I lived in Rio for many years, once upon a time it was a great city and could still be. They will have a lot of work cleaning up the drugs and thieves that roam the streets. This is a good excuse for them to use their military to make adjustments to their societal problems. Watch for crackdowns in the next few years.

hip shot on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

“I don’t view this as a repudiation of the president or the first lady.

Want to bet some money on that, David?

GarandFan on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

EPIC FAIL AGAIN AXELTURD

So that’s why they picked Rio?

Try again putz.

Knucklehead on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

MNHawk on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

Bingo.

NickelAndDime on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmm

SilverStar830 on October 2, 2009 at 12:54 PM

It’s these treats that keep us going until the 2010 banquet

Jeff from WI on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Chicago Machine larcinists got robbed? That’s a laugh.

BottomLine5 on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Rush summed it up this morning. “The ego has landed”. Take that, sucker.

simkeith on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Get ready for his saving grace. This was overheard in the hallways of the White House just before Obama left for Copenhagen …..

“Hey Jesus, I mean Mr. President, look, if somehow we lose this thing, (laughter), we’ll fly you right over to Afghanistan to pop in on the troops. OK? That’s always a political winner, even for a coward pacifist like you. Just make sure if you go there, don’t mention anything about the “oremay roopstay” thingy.”

fogw on October 2, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I blame Axelrod for making Dear Liar go.

Axelrod must take the fall for this failure of biblical proportions, he needs to go.

rbj on October 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM

it’s also a loss for American prestige.

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Not really. The US has hosted how many Olympics vs. South America?

Rio deserves some prestige, too!

RushBaby on October 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM

“I bring you..Peace In Our Time…I Mean I Bring You The 2016 Olympics…I mean..I Bring You Defeat!”

Jeff from WI on October 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

WHAT???? I thought GWBush eliminated any “prestige” we had.

LOL, that’s so idiotic. Prestige? Oy

bridgetown on October 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Olympic shark-jumping gold!

Sowell Disciple on October 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I’ll ask again…

So he went to Denmark and flew home, but didn’t stop to visit troops in Afghanistan since he was nearby? What a tard.

lorien1973 on October 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Coming headline: Chicago robbed of billions, Obama considers bailout.

darwin on October 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM

I Just finished my first round of laughing my ass off.
Here’s to round 2

Amadeus on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Question is how will the Ego react to this?

What if he goes the Charles Johnson route? scary, but plausible possibility.

jp on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Huh? It’s a victory against a corrupt city and its socialist minions. Rejoice and stop defending The One!

True_King on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

There is no way that this is a victory for any American.
Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

False. It’s a repudiation that the man holding the office of President is bigger than the office itself. Ogabe put himself into the process not as the POTUS but as himself, it’s why he felt it necessary to include his wife.

Any time a politician is reminded that he is just a human being, that is good for America.

Bishop on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

The agony of defeat.

lorien1973 on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Does this mean the Obamacrats aren’t even good at politics?

JonPrichard on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Or is Obama just this stupid?

He’s just this stupid. And arrogant.

beachgirlusa on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

it’s also a loss for American prestige.

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Not really. The US has hosted how many Olympics vs. South America?

Rio deserves some prestige, too!

No, the prestige loss doesn’t have anything to do with the bid. The prestige loss is in the power of the American Presidency. That took a huge blow today. Now, blame Obama for it if you wish. He certainly deserves his share. But we all share the loss of prestige on the international stage.

Chris of Rights on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I’m sure that he is not paying much attention to this story

PatriotRider on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

It’s too bad Obama didn’t hire ACORN to organize the IOC vote. Then, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Wile E. Coyote, Elmer Fudd, and all the other cartoon characters in this administration could have voted for Chicago.

Eichendorff on October 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM

I blame Axelrod for making Dear Liar go
////
lol! I hope there is sarcasm in that statement b/cause someone is always covering o’s a$$.He is the president,for crying out loud,he can no to anyone.

ohiobabe on October 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM

True_King on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 PM

To be fair, Rio is a Corrupt City and full of Socialist minions.

jp on October 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM

jp on October 2, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Yes, but the chicks will be nearly naked during -all- the beach events.

lorien1973 on October 2, 2009 at 1:02 PM