Letterman blackmailed into admitting sex with staffers; Update: Suspect identified?

posted at 10:23 pm on October 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

Weird. And awful.

According to a press release sent by Letterman’s PR reps, the host first received a package three weeks ago from someone who claimed to have information about alleged sexual relations he has had with female employees of the “Late Show.”…

“This morning, I did something I’ve never done in my life,” Letterman said on Thursday’s edition of CBS’ “Late Show.” “I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury.”

“My response to that is, yes I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would,” Letterman said. “I feel like I need to protect these people — I need to certainly protect my family.”

Follow the link for a reminder that this isn’t the first extortion bid he’s been subject to. Yeah, he’s a leftist water-carrier and a sporadically nasty crank, but even so, my heart breaks for the guy for having his privacy violated so egregiously. Why acknowledge the extortion on the show, though? Even if the news broke in the papers, a studious silence would have led at least some people to believe that the accusations against him were bogus.

Update: Radar says it knows who the accused extortionist is.

Update: Verum Serum visits with the Ghost of Monologues Past.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Why would anybody be surpised about this.

Liberals entire life view is designed to forgive themselves for their own depravities.

Except for the Soros and Obama’s of the world, whose entire life view is designed to ensconce themselves as the devine rulers of the world.

notagool on October 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM

AP, there is no “privacy” involved when you sleep with other people. Otherwise, you could talk about “privacy” between Polanski and that 13-yr-old. It used to be, when our communities were smaller and less transient, you’d be scorned by others if you engaged in this type of behavior–and everyone would know.

I’m sorry, you can sin (or act the fool, for atheists) all you want if it doesn’t involve someone else directly, but whatever brings in at least one other person ain’t “private.” You don’t realize it, AP, but you’re helping carry water for the Leftists who backed some of the worst SCOTUS decisions of all time.

cackcon on October 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

It’s not weird and awful.

It’s wonderful and awesome.

bridgetown on October 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Your harrumphing over this is an interesting contrast to your usual creepy sneering over anything to do with Palin.

So because I make fun of Palin I’m not allowed to disapprove of extortion?

If you think that’s a strawman, please clarify your real position.

I can’t think of a higher compliment than being called “contemptible” by someone so very contemptible.

Likewise.

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM

So because I make fun of Palin I’m not allowed to disapprove of extortion?

So because you disapprove of extortion, joking about Letterman’s abuse of power and utter hypocrisy is contemptible?

Likewise.

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM

You and your zingers!

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

And, as for sleeping with the help, virtually every job I’ve ever held was the site of some intermural hanky-panky. Dang those women for entering the workforce and looking hot! And the higher the pressure, the more there is. Unless there are reports that he was offering unwanted advances or was rewarding or punishing staffers based on the sex, consulting adults are allowed to do their thing.

Bleeds Blue on October 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Jeez bleeds blue 1950 is calling. Consultants might be able to bone the staff, but for the rest of the actual employees that is generally against company policies. ESPECIALLY for the boss. “Why?” you may ask. Well look up ‘Hostile work environment’, and then what happens when one employee gets pissed that another gets a raise/promotion/day off and just happens be be schtuping the boss. It doesn’t matter if the employee earned it, all that matters is how it looks. It can get real expensive.

Illegal, not necessarily, but I’d put $5 bucks it’s against policy and one with punishments up to and including termination. I would also put $5 on Loserman keeping his job.

Fighton03 on October 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Just as the other moralists in the Republican Party have been closed-mouthed about Vitter, Enzi and Sanford. People cover their own.

Bleeds Blue on October 2, 2009 at 9:03 AM

name them.

Fighton03 on October 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Oh please….cry my a freakin’ river. Is the extortionist a scumbag? You bet. Should he go to jail? Absolutely. Did he put Letterman through the wringer. Yes. Tears I will shed: 0
Why? Because if this happened to Palin or any high profile Republican or Conservative, he would use it as material on his show for MONTHS. He and the MSM would grind and grind away until that person and his family was dust. I can only hope some brave person in Hollywood can write some jokes about his boinkin’ the staff……

Opposite Day on October 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM

He is a piece of crap who stopped being funny years ago. Whatever pain this causes him is self-inflicted. Sympathy for his wife? No. A wife knows when her own husband is a scumbag and their choice to stand by them “for the children”, or some other BS reason doesn’t move me. I might feel badly for their kids, but I’m too busy right now grieving for Chicago (cue crocodile tears).

SKYFOX on October 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM

This gap-toothed perverted jerk is really starting to creep me out –

He’ll certainly get a pass from the MSM….Can’t wait to hear Dennis Miller’s comments, and hopefully Conan will run with it (you can bet Letterman would).

Tim_CA on October 2, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Suspect identified, arrested. Meanwhile, predator goes free!

byteshredder on October 2, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Somewhere, Palin chuckles.

RedNewEnglander on October 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

And why would he have to be their direct manager in order for it to be an abuse of authority? It’s his show. He owns the company that produces it. He’s the boss.

–As part of the testimony, Letterman admitted that he had engaged in sexual relationships with staff members.

–So, are the staff members members of his production company or members of CBS’ staff, Jim T?

Jimbo3 on October 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Jimbo3 on October 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Well, at least one of them worked for the show.

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I know this thread is already played out, but I wanted to quickly address the points made in my original comment that have been regretfully misinterpreted:

#1 – AllahPundit requires a level of anonymity and privacy to do his job effectively because there are unfortunately Muslim fanatics in the world that want to hurt him
#2 – I do not agree that AllahPundit’s right to (and basic need for) privacy extending to David Letterman’s situation as a public figure who used his personal wealth and station in life to coerice sexual favors from his much younger female subordinates–which is blatant sexual harrassment in the workplace that is, as Kirsten Powers noted on “Fox News Watch,” the cause of a “hostile work environment” for any woman in Letterman’s employ (i.e. if you have sex with the boss your career advances but if the boss isn’t your type you’re in a dead end job)
#3 – Although I believe AllahPundit’s sympathy for Letterman being forced to admit his sexual harrassment is noble and shows what a good person AllahPundit is, I absolutely believe that if the roles were reversed it would be Letterman who would publicly show his total disdain for AllahPundit
#4 – When I wrote: “…to him” in the comment I was referring to Letterman

In that context I was saying based solely on Letterman’s lefty politics that Letterman would not only show disdain for AllahPundit if the roles were reversed (i.e. AllahPundit’s privacy was violated) Letterman would punctuate his disdain with his trademark smarmy delivery by noting to staffers and audience alike AllahPundit, better known as “that cowardly wingnut that works for the self-hating Asian babe with a Jew last name” had his privacy violated.

Any of the racist, sexist, and anti-Semitic words used in my comments are used to express what I believe would be David Letterman’s hate-filled hypocritical views towards AllahPundit, Michelle Malkin, and HotAir.com if given the chance to voice his opinioni. Those obviously terrible views are not mine.

ScottMcC on October 11, 2009 at 12:38 AM