Letterman blackmailed into admitting sex with staffers; Update: Suspect identified?

posted at 10:23 pm on October 1, 2009 by Allahpundit

Weird. And awful.

According to a press release sent by Letterman’s PR reps, the host first received a package three weeks ago from someone who claimed to have information about alleged sexual relations he has had with female employees of the “Late Show.”…

“This morning, I did something I’ve never done in my life,” Letterman said on Thursday’s edition of CBS’ “Late Show.” “I had to go downtown and testify before a grand jury.”

As part of the testimony, Letterman admitted that he had engaged in sexual relationships with staff members.

“My response to that is, yes I have. Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would,” Letterman said. “I feel like I need to protect these people — I need to certainly protect my family.”

Follow the link for a reminder that this isn’t the first extortion bid he’s been subject to. Yeah, he’s a leftist water-carrier and a sporadically nasty crank, but even so, my heart breaks for the guy for having his privacy violated so egregiously. Why acknowledge the extortion on the show, though? Even if the news broke in the papers, a studious silence would have led at least some people to believe that the accusations against him were bogus.

Update: Radar says it knows who the accused extortionist is.

Update: Verum Serum visits with the Ghost of Monologues Past.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I wonder if Mrs Letterman lost any sleep over the other families David ripped apart with his humor? If not, I hope she’s losing sleep tonight.

clnurnberg on October 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Another, unrelated thought. The blackmailer apparently had the goods, i.e., documentary proof. There was a legal way to get money for this story: Sell it to the National Enquirer. But because the affair apparently was not ongoing, there could be no fun stings with pictures by Enquirer as with John Edwards. And, in any case, the award if you can pull it off is $10,000 v. $2,000,000.

BCrago66 on October 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM

Uhhh, AP, your heart breaks for this tool because he’s getting what comes to cheating bastards?

You are weird, to say the least.

amkun on October 2, 2009 at 12:15 AM

It’s not weird, it’s outrageous. Especially from someone like Allah who basically thinks cheaters should be burned alive. He’s trying to make a self-important (and self-imagined) alignment to Dave. MY heart breaks for ACTUAL victims of ACTUAL creepy crimes, not men who don’t have the faintest idea how to treat women (or underage daughters of certain women). Seriously. Save your heartbreak for the REAL victims. Just gross.

I_C on October 2, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I hope Letterman is dragged thru the gutter by the tabloids on this one. He gleefully does it to others so I will relish every smear he receives – and I hope it ruins his marriage.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Did Dave do anything illegal?

If not, you people should lay off.

Whether you care or not, he is a husband and a father. Or do you not care about his wife and kid because he made a tasteless and horrible “joke” about Willow Palin? Yeah, what he did was in regards to the Palins was despicable, but so is this.

Where are all the law and order types so prevalent here who will stick up for Dave against this breach of his personal freedom (i.e. privacy)?

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Do you think Dave asks those questions about the targets of his jokes and smears?

So why should others grant him something he is unwilling to grant others?

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Mr. Purple is a terrible person

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Golly, you all sound like filthy communists

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Nobody’s praising the blackmailer here, Aqua. We’re just happy that Letterman is on the receiving end of the jokes.

clnurnberg on October 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Oh, NOW it’s not so funny is it Letterman?
Fuck you David Letterman. I hope you have a nervous breakdown and disappear.

SuperManGreenLantern on October 2, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Hungerforce,

When someone is being blackmailed with the truth, 2 paries are morally blameworthy: The blackmailer and the person who created that truth (but one party is legally blameworthy.)

BCrago66 on October 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

and like I said on the headlines thread— if this was happening to Glenn Beck (who also has a wife and family, who also sustains terrible daily threats, who has had to increase his security staff in the last 2 months), someone would be doing a little victory dance somewhere. Because you know, he’s such a “disgrace” and all. But David Letterman? Let hearts break for him, one and all.

I_C on October 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM

Well I didn’t cheat on my spouse with an employee – so I guess I fall a little short on you humanitarian scale.

If I get a 13 year old drunk, give her some Qauuludes and anally rape her will that make me a better person in your liberal eyes?

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Letterman is a nasty piece of work and maybe he’s earned some bad karma, but this is still wrong. He may be a kook, but blackmailing someone over private consensual activity by adults is ugly.

Jill1066 on October 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I’m a Letterman fan anyway (don’t shoot!), but even if I weren’t, after a week of reading about a celebrity who raped a thirteen-year-old girl, I don’t think I could get that indignant about this.

YYZ on October 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Did Dave do anything illegal?

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Most likely. He slept with “several” of his subordinates. He’s going to have a hard time claiming that it wasn’t part of the job.

Ronnie on October 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Sarah Palin went to Hong Kong, delivered a speech last week. And we’re learning more and more about the speech that she delivered there. Palin says China needs to deal with its ethics problems. Well, I bet that got a nice laugh.

Da-Doomp. Yah, Dave… Your turn.

unclesmrgol on October 2, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Dave bit off more than he could chew.

Travis1 on October 2, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Golly, you all sound like filthy communists
Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM

That,of course, makes no sense and is apropos of nothing but golly,keep on trollin’!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 2, 2009 at 12:35 AM

David Letterman is just another card carrying Hollywood moral compass holder, and self-absorbed liberal teevee hack, who spreads outright lies and distortions about the conservative right whenever he can via his crappy little teevee show.

While what happened to him wasn’t right, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer arsehole.

The Schadenfreude is definitely warranted.

SilverStar830 on October 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

AP,

Sorry for the double trackback. I hit refresh at the wrong moment and WordPress went haywire.

John on October 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Defending Letterman on the basis solely of his privacy being violated (i.e. private videos/photos of Letterman having sex with multiple young women) is trumped by Letterman’s all-but-confirmed sexual harrassment of the women directly in his employ (i.e. the videos/photos of Letterman having sex with multiple young women).

Right, feminists?

Allah, I know you’re coming at this from the standpoint of a guy that REQUIRES privacy in his job, but in your situation you have much more potential to be murdered by extreme Muslim terrorists based on your previous blog posts and your atheist-based views.

Remember, while your sympathy for Letterman is noble to him you’ll always just be that cowardly wingnut that works for the self-hating Asian babe with a Jew last name.

Seriously.

ScottMcC on October 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

There’s a 20-year age difference between Alex Rodriguez and Willow Palin. I wonder how much younger those Letterman staffers were?

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM

It must be faced that Letterman has a mean streak. His ‘humor’ was often caustic and directed at folks unable or unwilling to defend themselves. With this in mind, I see no reason to give him any quarter. He fully deserved this dose of poetic justice. I wonder if he’ll learn anything from it?

jeanie on October 2, 2009 at 12:38 AM

I wonder how long before he has his mom on the show again. I’m sure she’s so very proud of him.

What an asshole… how many years has he been giving people crap, and how many millions has he made doing it?

I’m not happy for his wife or family, and I’m not happy that this happened. But I do enjoy the sweet, sweet irony. As Palins star rises, Lettermans crashes.

cannonball on October 2, 2009 at 12:39 AM

What an a-hole… how many years has he been giving people crap, and how many millions has he made doing it?

cannonball on October 2, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I don’t see how anyone could feel any sympathy for this man.

Rose on October 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM

It explains why Lettermen sides with a more permissive society now to me. I assume years of nodding his head at Hollywood liberals had given him severe Stockholm syndrome but it was his conscious knowing in a world with high morality he could be smacked from his perch and of course how could he feel good about these affairs while dating this woman since 1986?

Dave Letterman…Guilt ridden scumbag who can’t stand a symbol of virtue like Sarah Palin.. Sad for you Dave..get some spiritual help.

Conan on October 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Jill1066 on October 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

You may have a point there, Jill, however I would argue that the so called ‘blackmailer’ was offering Letterman a chance to stop this from being released publicly.

Perhaps the alleged ‘blackmailer’ should have just released the info to the media and never offered Letterman a chance to make amends or prevent the news from being released.

This sounds like simply a polite gesture to a sinner to Mr Letterman. These accusations and smears of ‘blackmail’ are completely contrived.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM

ScottMcC… I would appreciate it if you would apologize for your racist, sexist, anti-semetic statement about Michelle Malkin.

cannonball on October 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM

On the day that Palin’s book is number 1, this happens…this will make all the atheists think twice…

right2bright on October 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Terrific.

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Were minors involved? For him rape is funny. This guy is a pervert.

People need to ensure this guy in not around kids and ladies.

antisocial on October 2, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Wish I could feel sorry for him.

…..I’m not that good of a person, I’m afraid.

Maybe he’ll think about the pain he’s going through now the next time he decides to smear somebody’s underage daughter on national television.

Hawkins1701 on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 AM

1 employee is a fling.
several is a company policy.
He should do time.

Ronnie on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Sorry, no sympathy at all for Letterman here… He chose his path,and did not choose wisely.

WhoU4 on October 2, 2009 at 12:52 AM

He’s going to take all the terrible stuff he knows about my life — and according to this packet, there seems to be a lot of terrible stuff he knows about — and he’s going to put it into a movie unless I give him some money

See, there you go. The man had a movie he was pitching. He offered Letterman first rights to the story.

Who would play Letterman in a movie? Is Earnest Borgnine still alive?

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Karma’s a bitch.

He’s a bad human being. What do you expect?

I’m sure he’ll celebrate with another top ten list about Sarah’s son Trigg or Piper.

Maggot through and through.

The kind of guy you stumble upon who ran off the road and is seriously injured and you actually have to think about it a little before you call 911 for him.

Sapwolf on October 2, 2009 at 12:59 AM

I’m sorry to say this, but fuck him. Protect his family? Is he serious?

I’ve only got two words for you David: SARAH PALIN…

Fuzzlenutter on October 2, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Terrific.

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 12:45 AM

So you don’t think Letterman bears any blame.

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Go on, you’re really on a roll.

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 1:04 AM

Is there a Robert Halderman defense fund yet?

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Jill1066 on October 2, 2009 at 12:32 AM

That’s not in dispute. Of course the blackmailer is an a-hole too.

Dave is just a jerk and so people don’t care for jerks that’s all.

He’s a leftist hack, and I will not give him any more slack than any other leftist hack.

Sapwolf on October 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Just last week, Letterman told Obama, “I love to watch you work.” Turns out that’s his standard line around the office.

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 1:07 AM

You know what would be really interesting?

A sincere Facebook post from Sarah supporting Dave’s move to come clean with the truth and take the fallout to stop the extortion and to say a prayer for him and his family.

And the thing is, from Sarah, it would be sincere.

Problem is, Dave would rip her on his next 20 shows with an anti-Palin top ten list and other hate right after it. Scopion and frog anyone?

Sapwolf on October 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM

test

portlandon on October 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM

You know what would be really interesting?

And the thing is, from Sarah, it would be sincere.

Sapwolf on October 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM

You know what would be really interesting?

And the thing is, from Sarah, it would be sincere.

Problem is, Dave would rip her on his next 20 shows with an anti-Palin top ten list and other hate right after it. Scorpion and frog anyone?

Sapwolf on October 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM

Sorry for the doublepost. :)

Sapwolf on October 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Dave?

Bad news: You are dead to me.

Good news: You already were.

Clue: Sarah Palin.

drunyan8315 on October 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM

If it walks like a terrible thing and talks like a terrible thing, guess what? It’s probably a terrible thing.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Why would he come clean on the air?

Sexual Harassment filings might be coming from the “Late Show” staff? This is the first shoe.

Wait for the next one to drop.

portlandon on October 2, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Is there a Robert Halderman defense fund yet?

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Wonderful. Please continue.

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 1:13 AM

Cheaters never prosper.

silverfox on October 2, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Lettermans top ten list on this one should
really suck.

Texyank on October 2, 2009 at 1:16 AM

crr6 on October 2, 2009 at 1:13 AM

The “grim outrage” act doesn’t really fly, dear.

In other news: Right now Woody Allen is signing a petition to get David Letterman some fresh meat.

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 1:21 AM

I hope this ruins his career, but that won’t happen. All of his entertainment buddies will stick up for him, ala Roman Polanski. What a bunch of morally bankrupt people.

cjs1943 on October 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Like I care.

Alana on October 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Treacher,

I generally respect your work. No, I always respect your work.

Dave is a pos, ok.

Why find joy in something that affects him on a very personal level. Unless he was saying “screw me or you’re fired,” he is guilty of no more than a moral lapse, something we all are at fault for.

I have as much animosity for him as the next guy, but since when did we start celebrating the destruction of an entertainer’s family life because he is crass, crude, and doesn’t align with our politics?

Again, isn’t that what the filthy communists do?

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Since when is Letterman somehow a victim in all this?

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM

How would this protect his family?

the_nile on October 1, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Because you know how all those conservative late night comedians would do off color jokes and routines about them?

Fighton03 on October 2, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I can’t say I have a whole lot of sympathy for this man.

He had an affair with a staff member, exactly while he was living with this then-live-in-girlfriend, now-wife (20 years together, more or less). And yet, he shamelessly dares to put down a woman like Sarah Palin and her family with a “statutory rape joke”, because he could.

And now that Sarah is going to have her debts all wiped out and her family all financially secured with her soon-to-be-published book, while David has to face such a public humiliation, one word and only one word applies here: Karma.

newton on October 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM

Wow.

There are truly some hateful, creepy people around here.

Moesart on October 2, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Ohhh..so it was a government sting operation???? LOL.

Sounds like Dave was being mighty “public” with his “privates”

Fighton03 on October 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM

only one word applies here: Karma.

newton on October 2, 2009 at 1:33 AM

It also comes on the very day he received news that for the first time in 4 years he won his time slot for the week.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM

There are truly some hateful, creepy people around here.

Moesart on October 2, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Your expression of self-knowledge has been noted.

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Wow.

There are truly some hateful, creepy people around here.

Moesart on October 2, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Nope….just unsympathetic. It’s a …nuanced….difference.

Fighton03 on October 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

…karma…

I didn’t know we had so many Buddhists and Hindus here.

exception on October 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

If he didn’t want to deal with something like this, he shouldn’t have screwed around.

He’s a left-wing douche. Screw him.

Greg Q on October 2, 2009 at 1:40 AM

World Wide Without Pants.

oakpack on October 2, 2009 at 1:41 AM

I didn’t know we had so many Buddhists and Hindus here.

exception on October 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Nah, just us Boy George fans!

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Late Show With David Letterman 10/1/09

Dave’s guests tonight: Actor Woody Harrelson; TV personality Kim Kardashian, The wrath of the Erinyes.

Terry_Dyne on October 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

While I agree with the position of not rejoicing at your enemy’s fall his fall is a result of his own actions and judgements. None of this would have happened had he kept his ding-a-ling where it belonged.
To those of you posting that this was a private consensual activity, affairs are never really private they affect more than the two actors involved. The fall out from this may likely destroy his family. My prayers go out to his wife and child who are the true victims of his selfish behavior.

chemman on October 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM

oakpack on October 2, 2009 at 1:41 AM

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:42 AM

Can’t stand the man. Hope he is miserable with the testifying and the dirty details being leaked.

Tim Burton on October 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM

exception on October 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM

How about “be sure your sins will find you out”

chemman on October 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM

So will See BS keep him ?

macncheez on October 2, 2009 at 1:46 AM

Maybe he should have stuck to wearing…..sneakers.

oakpack on October 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Can’t speak for everyone else, but for me ever since I started my Hollywood blacklist.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Well, he sure didn’t have any problems going after Sarah and her family. Especially, when she and her family hadn’t done anything wrong.

cjs1943 on October 2, 2009 at 1:53 AM

The man is a bully. He has a mean streak a mile wide. Why would someone have sympathy for him? If he were to apologize for every mean spirited thing he has ever said, then I would reconsider my attitude towards him.

Rose on October 2, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Never celebrated the destruction of an entertainer’s family life Aqueteen. I hope his wife moves on and cherishes the day she turned and never looked back at Dave. I hope that their son grows up without any angst toward either parent and lives a happy life. Dave, on the other hand, should regret whole heartedly what he has done.

oakpack on October 2, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Just re-read Allah’s heartbreak over Letterman’s self-made predicament and I have to say it is truly disgusting.

Did you heart break over Sarah Palin’s family being trashed for no reason other than her daring to be conservative? I’d say her privacy was more egregiously violated, no?

amkun on October 2, 2009 at 2:00 AM

I’m not hoping this would happen, but I won’t be surprised if Dave’s wife filed for divorce and custody of their child and then take half or more of his financial assets. Like someone already said, the wife and child are the real victims here, with Dave being the culprit.

miron on October 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Here is my question to the Mean Streak Media :

since when did we start celebrating the destruction of a n entertainer’s politician’s family life because he/she is crass, crude, and doesn’t align with your politics?

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Thanks awsome words writer

macncheez on October 2, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Here is my question to the Mean Streak Media :

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Thanks awsome words writer

macncheez on October 2, 2009 at 2:13 AM

Hell you could ask Allah why he was trying to peddle the ‘Edwards baby is a photoshop’ line instead of reporting on the truth.

Allah was the original ‘birther’.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 2:34 AM

My “heart breaks” for Letterman’s family, not for him. He has made millions mocking others for the same predicament he now finds himself in. If this was anyone else I’d be more sympathetic, but Letterman’s breathtaking hypocrisy deserves to be punished relentlessly. I have absolutely NO sympathy for douchebags who can’t live up to the same standards they set for others.

MisterPundit on October 2, 2009 at 2:41 AM

“Karma?” There is nothing Christian about this term. It denies the Sovereignty of the God of the Bible. Events don’t “just happen.” There is a Divine hand that directs all events, though often in ways we do not fully understand. God, in his Sovereignty, permitted Dave’s sin to become known. Nothing to chortle about: Let him who is without sin cast the first stone. (Too bad Dave has already been figuratively stoned to death in this forum: By posters who remind me of enraged Muslim men stoning an accused adulteress to death.) I never watch his show, as I do not enjoy it, but I do not hate him or rejoice in his downfall (or deny or excuse his sin).

sanantonian on October 2, 2009 at 2:58 AM

That’s a pretty narrow view of both karma and Christianity IMO.

The concept of good things happening to you if you do good things isn’t exactly at odds with Christian beliefs.

No divine hand directs all events. If I want to go to the store I can’t just sit in the car and step on the gas and have God navigate my way. I have to drive myself there. I can choose to not go. I can choose an alternate route.

If that view is true then it is the hand of God guiding pedophiles and serial killers. Why punish the work of God with prison sentences to his minions?

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Jim Treacher on October 2, 2009 at 3:11 AM

Nice!

#1 is classic.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 3:12 AM

OT: The One will be speaking soon in Hopenchangen, er Copenhagen. I don’t see a teleprompter. Could be entertaining.

Ronnie on October 2, 2009 at 3:17 AM

David Letterman looked old and pathetic during his confession.

kaye on October 2, 2009 at 3:24 AM

I think this is going to get a whole lot weirder if more details come out.

This doesn’t sound like just a couple of office affairs.

Mr Purple on October 2, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Letterman hasn’t been funny in a long, long time, and he has a serious nasty streak. I am strangely unmoved by his current plight; if he were so “concerned” about his family, he wouldn’t have been banging women who work for him. Pathetic, immoral fool.

Travis Bickle on October 2, 2009 at 3:39 AM

I dunno if anyone has been watching FoxNews, the live feed for Chicago 2016… but hopefully there will be clips online today/tomorrow.

Ugly on October 2, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Together we can. Gee that sounded so original. Go Rio!

artchick on October 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM