Audio: Candidate gets caught saying what he really thinks

posted at 1:40 pm on October 1, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’m not sure which is the more compelling about this clip of Kentucky’s Lieutenant Governor Dan Mongiardo speaking to an associate while assuming no microphones were live. Is it his dismissive attitude about fellow Democrat, Governor Steve Beshear, whom he calls the state’s “worst” governor ever? The accusation that Beshear is “screwing” him “every way possible”? For my money, it’s what Mongiardo has to say about his run for Jim Bunning’s Senate seat in 2010 — and it’s not safe for work (via Taegan Goddard and KY Revolution):

“I have always said that the only difference between Fletcher and Beshear is Beshear has not had a blowup yet. But it is coming.”

“It would not hurt me at all to see Steve (Beshear) go down. I think he’ll (Beshear) go down…I think he’ll (Beshear) go down in history, if he makes it through, as the worst.”

“My loyalties are…I don’t have…I have zero loyalties with Beshear.”

“Who’s doing a fundraiser this quarter? Steve Beshear is for Steve Beshear…one in Lexington..and one in Louisville…he is trying to dry my money up. He (Beshear) is screwing me every way possible…and what do I get out of it…we finally begged him to show up for one in Northern Kentucky. He is not going to lift a finger, he is not going to do a damn thing, he is just going to show up and his name is going to be on the invite…listen there is no love…”

Gee, the opposition ads just write themselves, don’t they? However, Mongiardo might turn this into a net plus. After all, maybe Kentucky voters want a Senator who doesn’t want to deal with politics on the campaign trail.  Perhaps Mongiardo could start the FIA Party and run as a third-party candidate.  If that entailed a policy of saying F**k It All to vast swaths of the federal bureaucracy and the end of excessive government intrusion into private business, I might even be sympathetic to it.

I somehow doubt it, however.

Comments

Scrambling for another Dem candidate against Bunning in 3.2.1?

Sapwolf on October 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

He is screwing me every way possible

Welcome to the club. There are two Americas – the political class, and those who pay for the political class.

Vashta.Nerada on October 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Then don’t run. Please. We don’t need more spendocrats in Washington.

rbj on October 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Meghan McCain would be proud. She says she like to toss an F-bomb out every so often.

SouthernGent on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Sorry for OT: Please, I need prayers and good thoughts for my friend Kitty who is dying of pneumonia. Her respirator will be turned off in about 4 hours, barring some sort of miracle. Thanks, and sorry for OT.

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Scrambling for another Dem candidate against Bunning in 3.2.1?

Sapwolf on October 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Bunning is out, so the Dems running against him makes as much sense as Dems running against Bush in 2010.

teke184 on October 1, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Just a reminder that Bunning is not running for re-election.

WannabeAnglican on October 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

If he had just said “Eff the Senate” we could have maybe had a QOTD.

Sorry for your friend, Mary in LA. Hang in there.

BigD on October 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I am a single issue Second Amendment voter. Mongiardo like most democrats in KY supports the 2A, and he even spoke at the NRA meeting in Louisville in 2008. I don’t think this tape will hurt him.

mad saint jack on October 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Will do!

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Being a Kentuckian, I can tell you Bunning isn’t running for reelection (that was a real hot topic around here and DC for a while). Trey Grayson is running for the Republican slot. He’s the Secretary of State, very popular, and right on policy.

creatocon on October 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM

An open mic is a dangerous thing.
Mary, we’ll say a prayer for your friend.

kingsjester on October 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM

“I am this close to saying f**k it all. I do not need this job. I do not need the U.S. Senate.“

To me, that’s a recommendation to hold office. Too bad he’s a D.

Prayers for your friend on the way, Mary.

MrScribbler on October 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM

What does he think this job’s about?

It’s completely about putting up with a lot of crap.

You don’t want to do that, then run a fishing pond or something.

NoDonkey on October 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM

This little outburst wouldn’t hurt him with me, but I don’t live in Kentucky, and I’m not likely to vote for a Democrat in any case.

Count to 10 on October 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Thank you all. I love you guys.

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Just a reminder that Bunning is not running for re-election.

WannabeAnglican on October 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

And Rand Paul is. This could get real interesting.

Knucklehead on October 1, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Tell me how you REALLY feel!

upinak on October 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Speaking of running again,is this Grayson dude up for reelection?I hope he is but I have my doubts,Man,I’d love to see him bite the dust!

ohiobabe on October 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I love technology.

Diane on October 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Bless You.

May God grant her a peaceful departure and take her soul to the gates of heaven.

PappaMac on October 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM

None of the Above.

ThackerAgency on October 1, 2009 at 1:59 PM

FIA Party

Y’know… that’s not a bad idea…

Skywise on October 1, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Diane on October 1, 2009 at 1:57 PM

It’s kind of amazing how many politicians still get caught by those new fangled microphones, isn’t it?

Cindy Munford on October 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Anyway he can take the communist Pelozi with him…..?

BigMike252 on October 1, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Let’s see how long it takes for the non-apology, apology –

“I am sorry for anyone I may have offended”

diogenes on October 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Running for Office as a Democrat, for Dummies.

1. insert bullet.

2. Shoot foot.

capejasmine on October 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Mary in LA.

My prayers are with her.

katy the mean old lady on October 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Prayer has been offered as you requested.

(Probably better that you shared your prayer request on an Ed post vice an Allah post).

DOOF on October 1, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I’ve always thought our country would be greatly improved if we drafted our political leaders from the general population something like jury duty. People who lust for power aren’t the people we want in power.

A “FIA” candidate might be the next best thing.

Have you noticed how many really good politicians just decide to hang it up after a short time while the stinkers go on for decades?

tbrosz on October 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM

tbrosz on October 1, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Might be a chicken/egg thing for some. Do some politicians only become stinkers BECAUSE they’ve been around too long (Maverick)? Or do the stinkers stick around because they can’t / won’t do anything else (Kennedys)?

DOOF on October 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Let’s see how long it takes for the non-apology, apology –

“I am sorry for anyone I may have offended”

diogenes on October 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I’m pretty sure that tactic doesn’t work when you go on a tirade about a specific person. You either have to apologize to that person or not.

Mary in LA- Thoughts and prayers for your friend Kitty.

highhopes on October 1, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Sapwolf on October 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

They already have one who is running: KY Atty Gen. Jack Conway.

It's Vintage, Duh on October 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM

This is reminiscent of a video that surfaced of Scotty Baesler screaming like a banshee at some campaign event back in 1998 when he was running against Bunning. It killed him.

Beshear and Mongiardo are both lightweights. Beshear was the Gray Davis of Kentucky – he spent years just running for every statewide office until finally everyone else in the Democratic queue moved on and he got the governorship by default. He promised casino gambling as a cure-all for the state’s fiscal problems but he can’t get it through the legislature. He really hasn’t done anything else as Governor.

Mongiardo has even fewer accomplishments, other than almost beating Jim Bunning in 2004. Republicans are going to have a huge tailwind in Kentucky next year. I hear the NRCC is even putting Ben Chandler on its target list now.

rockmom on October 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Not that I car much for identity politics… but can’t there be just one decent Italian-American politician I can like? Pelosi, Ferraro, Cuomo…?

Sheez!

mankai on October 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Mary in LA, a prayer and a wish for your friend, Kitty.

4shoes on October 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM

prayers are with you Mary in LA. God Bless you.

hawkman on October 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM

This causing quite the buzz here in KY. Still no comment from Mongiardo though Beshear claims that it is probably doctored and using a reference to someone putting his head on another body in a photo during the last election to validate his statement. LOL

Gulchie on October 1, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Prayers and good thoughts to your friend

DrAllecon on October 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I’m very sorry to hear that. Our prayers now for her and you.
May the Lord hold his protecting hand over her. If it be His will, restore her health, if His will is to take her, may she be with Him in bliss today.

Jeff from WI on October 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

My prayers are with you and your friend.

Gulchie on October 1, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Jesse Jackson has some experience with this talkin’-in-hot-mics problem. Maybe Mongiardo should give him a call.

BuckeyeSam on October 1, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I do not need the U.S. Senate.“

Sounds like Obama making international deals and appointing czars to the White House. Maybe Mongiardo is lining himself up for a job.

Steve Z on October 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM

He just got a lot closer. Or the voters might say it for him.

Steve Z on October 1, 2009 at 3:33 PM

I hear the NRCC is even putting Ben Chandler on its target list now.
rockmom on October 1, 2009 at 2:36 PM

OK, who’s Ben Chandler?

humdinger on October 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

humdinger on October 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Democratic representative for KY’s 6th Congressional district.

Gulchie on October 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Can you say “maccaca moment” ?

J_Crater on October 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I think the difference of him looking like an outsider is that he wants to be an insider. He wants the help of Beshear, he is not asking him to stay away, he is crying out loud for his help, and if he does not get it, he is threatening to quit. That is not positioning yourself as an outsider.

If he was saying that he was happy the lump of coal Beshear was staying away from his campaign, and if he showed up to a fundraiser, he would quit, that would be different.

WoosterOh on October 1, 2009 at 4:03 PM

The authenticity of this tape has been called into question here in Kentucky, and I have to admit that it sounds sort of suspicious to me. If it hurts Mongiardo, all I can say is it couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. /sarc

An early post stated that Mongiardo is a supporter of Second Amendment. I don’t know how married to that issue he really is. Politicians in this state who don’t support gun owner rights usually have short lived careers, unless they’re willing to settle for General Assembly seats in Louisville, Lexington, and maybe one district in Bowling Green.

Mongiardo doesn’t need to be U.S. Senator. He’s a physician from east Kentucky and has already lost one statewide race. (U.S. Senate against Jim Bunning in 2004).

Danny spent the 2008 election demeaning the people of the state, and in his support of Barack Obama he played the race card on his fellow Kentuckians before the votes had even been cast. Yeah, that’s always a good way to garner the support of the voters. Mongiardo is a clumsy politician and lacks any savvy outside of medicine.

He’s lieutenant governor because Steve Beshear needed balance in his ticket between the two distinct regions of east and west. He also needed someone who would have support in Louisville and Lexington because Beshear had to play like a conservative to get elected.

Steve Beshear. He’s sort of pathetic, and the comparison to Gray Davis is fairly accurate. Governor Beshear misread his election completely, like most Democrats do. The Democrats in the state successfully stuck a hiring scandal on Republican Ernie Fletcher, who tried to out Democrat the Democrats when it came to hiring merit (non-appointed) state workers. He got snared because the Dems are so good at corrupt hiring practices they knew right where to look.

The people of this state felt like the past two administrations were steeped in corruption, so they tossed Fletcher out of office. Beshear, a really unremarkable person, won the gubernatorial election and thought he had a mandate to bring casino style gambling to the Commonwealth.

He misread the vote and doubled down on a bill in the General Assembly that would’ve paved the way to legalize gambling outside of the parimutuel wagering already permitted at our horse race tracks (Churchill Downs, Keeneland, etc.). He expended all his political capital — not much — on that issue.

The state’s economy is a basket case. The Commonwealth is going broke, and Governor Beshear does nothing. He won’t lower taxes — personal or corporate — to stimulate any kind of economic growth in the state and, instead, waits with his hands out waiting for handouts from Washington. Apparently, the administration thinks that some sort of grant it has applied for through the stimulus bill will save all of us.

Let me ask this: If Mongiardo thinks Beshear is so weak and has a “blow-up” coming, why does he want his help?

Mongiardo or Jack Conway (Conway will get the nomination) will not have any body from the national politics that can help them. Obama might rally for them in Louisville, but the news of that will leak out to the state. The nominee will be on his own.

Trey Grayson will win the Republican nomination by smashing Rand Paul (I know Rand). If the state GOP is smart they’ll trot Sarah Palin in here a couple of times next year and upstage anything the Dems can do. They can’t even use Rick Pitino anymore because he put the pork to some woman at an upscale Louisville restaurant.

Ampleforth on October 1, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Mary, our prayers are with you and your friend Kitty. God Bless.

margategop517 on October 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Sorry. And you got it on the prayers.

MikeA on October 1, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I’m very sorry to hear. I’m not particularly religious but she’ll certainly be in my thoughts.

tneloms on October 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Interesting to segue from all the Polanski stuff to Mongiardo. At age 44, he started dating his current wife, who was then 19 years old. He married her a couple of years ago when he was about 47 and she was 22. Yuck.

megalass on October 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Vashta.Nerada on October 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM

And the policital classless, like this moron Mongiardo.

KS Rex on October 1, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Prayers of comfort for you and your friend.

redwhiteblue on October 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM

I’m so sorry to tell you all that my friend Kitty passed away this afternoon at 4:55PDT of pneumonia as a complication of H1N1 flu. She was not yet 40 years of age.

Thank you all so very much for your prayers for her. Please keep her husband, parents, and friends in your prayers and good thoughts.

Mary in LA on October 1, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. That is devastating news. Rest in Peace Kitty. I am saying a prayer to my mom, dad (who both died in their early 50’s) & family in Heaven to give Kitty a special welcome.

margategop517 on October 2, 2009 at 1:29 AM