Senate committee rejects amendments enforcing immigration check, blocking abortion funding

posted at 2:18 pm on September 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

During his speech to Congress, Barack Obama derided the notion that ObamaCare would pay for abortions and for health insurance for illegal immigrants as “false”, a “misunderstanding” spread by opponents who wanted to derail his efforts to reinvent the American health-care system:

There are also those who claim that our reform effort will insure illegal immigrants.  This, too, is false – the reforms I’m proposing would not apply to those who are here illegally. And one more misunderstanding I want to clear up – under our plan, no federal dollars will be used to fund abortions, and federal conscience laws will remain in place.

Charles Grassley and Orrin Hatch took Obama at his word — and discovered that Democrats have a much different plan than what Obama said three weeks ago today.  Hatch offered an amendment to the Baucus plan in the Senate Finance Committee that would have required that no plan receiving federal funding pay for abortions.  It failed, 10-13, on almost a party-line vote:

The Senate Finance Committee rejected an amendment to its healthcare bill Wednesday that would have required women to purchase a separate, supplemental insurance plan to cover abortion services.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) proposed the amendment with the goal of making existing laws against federal money being used to pay for abortions, and the language in the healthcare bill, ironclad.

“All I’m asking — my gosh — is for specific language in the bill that prohibits federal dollars from being used to fund abortions,” Hatch said. …

Democrats on the committee, along with pro-abortion-rights Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe (Maine) rejected Hatch’s argument, saying it would be unfair to require women to purchase separate insurance coverage for abortion services. Such a requirement, Snowe said, would raise privacy issues by asking women to anticipate their need for abortion coverage.

Kent Conrad (D-ND) crossed over to support Hatch’s amendment.

Baucus argued that the existing Hyde Amendment and other rules in his new plan would keep federal money from flowing to abortions.  However, the Hyde Amendment only covers monies distributed in HHS appropriations; any other funds used in ObamaCare would not be subject to its restrictions.

As Hatch argued in his effort to pass the amendment, the Baucus bill establishes a “segregation” of federal subsidies from premiums paid by policyholders in order to argue that it would be the latter that would fund abortion coverage.  That’s simply absurd.  In that arrangement, the funds are completely fungible, since the policyholder would merge them to pay the single bill.  The government would still be giving funds to insurers through the policyholder that would go towards abortions.

Afterward, it was Grassley’s turn for disillusionment:

Senate Finance Committee Democrats rejected a proposed a requirement that immigrants prove their identity with photo identification when signing up for health insurance or tax credits under healthcare reform.

Finance Committee ranking member Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) said that current law and the healthcare bill under consideration are too lax and leave the door open to illegal immigrants defrauding the government using false or stolen identities to obtain benefits.

Grassley’s amendment was beaten back 10-13 on a party-line vote.

Will Obama demand that Democrats quit contributing to mythmaking?  I’m not holding my breath.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

O/T: Dennis Hopper has been rushed to the hospital.

kingsjester on September 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

o/t the mom on Rush….ditto Mom, we are with you!

HornetSting on September 30, 2009

———————————————————————-
Rush is putting California mom’s transcript/audio on “free” side of his website! She was sensational! Worth the time.

ziggyville on September 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

As we yelled marching down Pennsylvania Avenue on 9/12: You lie! You lie! You lie!

Christian Conservative on September 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Seems like the conservative ladies are doing all the heavy lifting. They are super charged. Keep it goin’ girls. Donks don’t stand a chance.

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

We can’t wait until mid-term elections. These fools need to be removed from office now.

RustBelt on September 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Good luck with that. Dems won’t even allow photo ID when voting and you expect them to require it when getting the mother of all freebies? Once again it shows how out of touch with reality senate Republicans are.

angryed on September 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM
I’ll bring the Jager.

HornetSting on September 30, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I’ll bring the whiskey.

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM
————————————————

I’ll bring the “Pin the Tail on the DonkeyJackass” Game.

ziggyville on September 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM
Seriously what alternative universe do you live in?

xler8bmw on September 30, 2009 at 2:48 PM

CA…

CC

CapedConservative on September 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM

HornetSting on September 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I hope it’s TOO HOT for him–I hope he burns forever, wanting a drink, feeling his skin peel. I’m sorry, I can’t turn the other cheek, and some things can’t be forgiven…

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Me. I’ll bring the Guinness.

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

If Obama labels it a myth, it must be reality.

Be very, very afraid if someday he says something like, “Republicans are trying to scare you into thinking I’m from the planet Mars and have come to harvest the brains of Americans for an enormous salad on my home planet. This is not true.”

shick on September 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Cute. *haha

But I never care what others are “offended” by. There is nothing wrong with prayer. It’s just a “good thought.”

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM

But you expect us to care about what offends you!

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM
I’ll bring the Jager.

HornetSting on September 30, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I’ll bring the whiskey.

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I’ll bring the dip. Actually, in my case, that’s redundant.

Daggett on September 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM
Me. I’ll bring the Guinness.

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Don’t forget the Baileys for Irish Car Bombs…..

HornetSting on September 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:02 PM

*Whiskey? Did I see the mention of whiskey??? Of course, a party isn’t a party without the necter of the Gods…

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I say the same thing to progressives wanting free healthcare.

Here’s the reality. We ARE BROKE.

We’re no longer in charge of global security. And we can’t bail out even our own people.

WE ARE BROKE.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM

And yet, you’ve been whining about the need for the public option…how can we afford that if WE ARE BROKE?

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Nope, never expect any agreement from this blog.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I’m from Tennessee. I always mention whiskey. ;)

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Nope, never expect any agreement from this blog.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I never agree with stupidity.

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Although that sounds stunning, it also sound really uncomfortable.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Its a most unpleasant occupational hazard for Vegas Show girls. That’s why they get the big bucks. So I have heard, from a friend of a friend of a friend.

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Nope, never expect any agreement from this blog.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Why would you expect agreement? As I’ve said before, it should be perfectly clear to you by now that nobody here values your opinions in the least.

Why don’t you leave now so we can have our party?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Nope, never expect any agreement from this blog.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Then go elsewhere.

Buh Bye.

Knucklehead on September 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

The sad thing is on a California sanity scale of 0-10 with 0 being completely insane and 10 being a rational human being, Ann scores about a 7.

angryed on September 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Gotta love those Democrats. They know the majority of the American electorate is opposed to both taxpayer funding of abortions and taxpayer funding of illegal aliens’ healthcare, so they have their leader Barry repeatedly tell the American people that their bill will absolutely NOT do such things (and anybody who says it will is a liar), then they go ahead and write the bill to ensure that it does the exact opposite of what they say it will. Public policy by stealth. What an ethical and enlightened way to lead.

AZCoyote on September 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I think something beside, or alongside the health care bill is required here because stuff is just simply running amok. This would actually be a part of torte reform, but attacks it at a more fundamental level than torte reform legislation would.

Perhaps some lawyerly types here could comment. I intend to ask our lawyers about this as well.

I think we need to address the ‘default’ of UN stated law at it’s roots. That is, when a bill states for example, that HHS money can’t be used for abortions that leaves money from everywhere else to cover it when saying that taxpayer money shall not be used to fund abortions would do the job better. These loopholes that are left open constantly in bills should be filled by a new requirement for writing bills stating that if anything is restricted, it’s to be restricted at all levels, thus closing the loopholes.

Then saying in this example, money from HHS shall not fund abortions is equivalent to saying NO taxpayer money from anywhere unless specifically given language in the bill shall fund abortions.

This would force lawmakers to specifically enumerate and specify the loopholes they plan on using to steal money and use it inappropriately, and free them from having to worry about other loopholes that would be now automatically covered by more general language.

I’m sure there is pros and cons to this, and I’d like to hear them…but not from idiots on the far left or far right trying to protect their slush fund sources, I’d like to hear how to do this and the effects of it from people that actually CARE about this country.

Spiritk9 on September 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I repeat this message from time to time. I don’t respond to snark.

I think your snark posts speak for themselves.

They have no content, as always. They are nothing more than snark junk.

I let them speak loudly, for themselves.

You speak for yourself.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

You would think these Dems are working undercover for ACORN.

nor on September 30, 2009 at 3:20 PM

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

You don’t seem to respond to common sense either…

HornetSting on September 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

We don’t want you to respond. WE WANT YOU TO GO AWAY!

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 3:22 PM

You speak for yourself.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:17 PM

As do you…and it’s not a pretty picture.

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Oh well, you guys just keep pursuing a radical fringe edge…

But this blog will be dead within 6 months.

Seriously.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Miss Cleo will be wrong again.

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I am going to have a project for the next eight weeks or so. I don’t know how HotAir is going to work into the mix. Not to worry, I’ll be around.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Public policy by stealth.

AZCoyote on September 30, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Excellent turn of phrase…

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM

I ran across this video today – I think Obama wrote it ;o)

sherryande on September 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 3:14 PM

There was probably a time in my life when looks overcame comfort but they are long gone. Except for really really tall heels.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Wll, good luck with the project Take a break and visit us once in a while…I will miss your wit!

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM

–The reason it was written this way is because it relates only to the federal government. State governments are not subject to this restriction.

——————————————-

What’s with all the personal insults to Anna?

Jimbo3 on September 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

sherryande on September 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I remember that from last summer–was all over the internet. I saved it to my favorites and then lost it when I got a virus…kinda creepy now isn’t it?

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

What’s with all the personal insults to Anna?

Jimbo3 on September 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Aww look, Anna has a little friend…

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Sen. Olympia Snowe rejected Hatch’s argument, saying it would be unfair to require women to purchase separate insurance coverage for abortion services. Such a requirement, Snowe said, would raise privacy issues by asking women to anticipate their need for abortion coverage.

“abortion services”, nice one Snowe.

But why can’t they just pay for the abortion out of their own pocket?

How much does it cost to kill a baby nowadays?

pseudonominus on September 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I didn’t know if I should laugh or cry……….do you remember this one?

sherryande on September 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Aww look, Anna has a little friend…

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM

She had a different one yesterday…

ladyingray on September 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I’m there! I’ll bring the baijiu!

DarkCurrent on September 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM

o/t the mom on Rush….ditto Mom, we are with you!

HornetSting on September 30, 2009

Probably just realized that having sex with 13 year old girls is in fact a crime, despite what his friends have been telling him for years……

BobMbx on September 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I not only object to my money being used to pay for abortions, I object to my money being redistributed to pay for ANYONE’s heathcare but my own.

Common Sense on September 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Big Bertha is logged in as AnninCa?

seven on September 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM

It still boggles my mind that as a resident of MI, I have to show ID when I vot. How in the world did we get that passed in this great state, and how has it not been tossed out as ‘unconstitutional’? Like the aholes know what that means

TheVer on September 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM

wow…effed that one up

TheVer on September 30, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Let me find a babysitter (sit down, Mr. Polanski) and I’ll bring the limontinis.

DrSteve on September 30, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Oh, gosh, Obama was elected when people were in a whirlwind of emotions.

That’s all.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 2:40 PM

So you admit that you were totally out of touch with reality when you voted for him?

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Heard that nice mom from CA, Susan, on Rush today. WOW. She got on a full head of steam. I didn’t get to here it all. I caught Rush telling her not to apologize as she had summarized his first hour in 10 minutes.

Susan should run for office. She’d blow the doors of the idiots on the left. If she supports the Valley that Hope Forgot, she’s a shoe in.

Rush promised to put the audio on the ‘free’ side this afternoon.

Oh and in case no one has noticed, when was the last time those poor as dirt, family farmers were on the same side as small business and veterans? BZZZZ It’s a trick question. We are the conservatives and the pendulum is swinging. This is going to be one hell of a ride.

Blacksmith8 on September 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Can the Democrats argue that they are simply blocking unnecessary legislation that would prevent provision of care that won’t be given anyway? Can the Republicans argue that they’re simply trying to close a loophole into this bill that the Democrats aren’t being forthright about creating?

Shell Game.

ted c on September 30, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Obama’s greatest political skill….

The ability to lie with conviction!

The Rock on September 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I’m there! I’ll bring the baijiu!

DarkCurrent on September 30, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Are you going to try and get me drunk Dark? ;-)

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM

She still is, Del.

kingsjester on September 30, 2009 at 4:07 PM

“abortion services”, nice one Snowe.

But why can’t they just pay for the abortion out of their own pocket?

How much does it cost to kill a baby nowadays?

pseudonominus on September 30, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Back in 1983 in Florida an abortion cost $110. We (my first wife and I) faced this decision. It would have eliminated our second child, and we considered it. I didn’t like the option but the final say belonged to my then wife. To my amazement, she didn’t care either way, so I made the decision for both of us…we didn’t do it.

But, the cost has gone up since then I’m sure.

Spiritk9 on September 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Hell yeah, I’ll throw in with y’all. And I’ll bring the gunpowder and lead. (The country song by Miranda Lambert, that is. Lyrics fit quite well.)

TXUS on September 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM

mmm mmmm mmmmm.

P.S. Saw where you might temporarily be AWOL from us. Come back soon. Always enjoy your thoughts.

TXUS on September 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Appears to me that the current bill complies with current Catholic doctrine, if the information below is correct:

The key element is
distancing the Catholic
HMO from the direct
provision of or payment for
forbidden services. In some
cases, the Catholic HMO
will contract with non-
Catholic providers to
administer the services it
cannot provide.

For instance, a CFFC study
in 2000 found that Seton
Health Plan in Texas
provided contraception to its
Medicaid clients through
Planned Parenthood.

Catholic HMOs can also
arrange for the portion of
the premiums they receive
that would pay for
reproductive health services
to go though third-party
administrators so that the
HMO is not directly paying
for reproductive health
services.

Finally, a Catholic
HMO can arrange for
another insurer to handle
payment for and the
provision of reproductive
health services. Many
Catholic plans which
participate in the Medicaid
program utilize this
arrangement

Jimbo3 on September 30, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I saw some posts regarding that lady from California who called into Rush today. I was on the road and I did not hear all of it, but she was really on fire and upset too. She was begging Rush to run.

I really don’t think Rush wants to do that. For a lot of reasons.

Maybe she should run herself, she seemed to know just exactly what she did and did not want.

Terrye on September 30, 2009 at 4:28 PM

sherryande on September 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Gotta admit, I missed that one–*shudders…

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

TXUS on September 30, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Just let me know, and I willbring those weenie thingees….

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Just let me know, and I willbring those weenie thingees….

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Well, last I checked, I’ll probably be able to cover part of that, too…

…he said, slapping his own bad boy hand. -_*

TXUS on September 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

TXUS on September 30, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Heh :p

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Afterward, it was Grassley’s turn for disillusionment:

Disillusionment my ass! These feckless jerks have made a career out of their Capt. Renault moments.

Let’s please get rid of Chuck & Orrin any way possible.

rcl on September 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM

AsianGirlinTights

I’ll bring some Puser’s British Navy Rum if Ann in the Can gets canned, along the Canadian MP Avid Drywall.

Dhuka on September 30, 2009 at 5:53 PM

I’m throwing a party when Ann finally leaves us for good! Who wants to come?

AsianGirlInTights on September 30, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I’m in. I’ll bring some Foster’s.

BTW, jimbo, we aren’t picking on Ann. We’re just tired of being shat on by her, post upon post, ad nauseum, with her self-righteous, emotional, sanctimonious bullsh!t.

She has written the odd post where she didn’t lecture everyone else, but those times are very few and far in between.

If she could mount a logical argument, we’d be all for it, even if we disagreed. But she doesn’t. So here we are, ready for the departure party.

-Wanderlust

Wanderlust on September 30, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Hope and Change……

So cost will not be lower even if Taxpayers will need to foot the bill of Illegal Aliens and someone is too lazy to use birth control? LMAO

LIAR

BigMike252 on September 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM

rcl on September 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Grassley knows what he’s doing–he is not “disilllusioned”–he knows the game they are playing. I call his office about every week. He is my Senator. Some Democrats now wonder whether Grassley had been toying with them – and particularly his good friend Baucus – from the start. One joked that Baucus needs to see the movie He’s Just Not That into You.
“The simple truth is that I am and always have been opposed to the Obama Administration’s plans to nationalize health care,” Grassley wrote. “Period.” Grassley’s late-August campaign fundraising letter.

He is one of the few people still arguing that a grand bipartisan deal is possible – though he suggests that the way to get there is through a Democratic surrender. “There’s a feeling that the only way to get a bipartisan agreement is to defeat a Democratic proposal on the first hand, and then the Democrats will come to Republican leadership, and then, at that point, they’ll know the only way they’re going to get health-care reform is bipartisan,” he recently told Iowa reporters.

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM

No me. I voted for McCain.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Then go elsewhere.

Buh Bye.

Knucklehead on September 30, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Bye!

(Although, I’m not leaving. I guess if I make you this uncomfortable, you are?)

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Whatever are the issues with AnninCA, it’s not interesting to read the silly responses about her. I come to HotAir for substance.

Usually the best way to get rid of people you don’t like is to ignore them or to sincerely ask them difficult questions. The latter method works, because most people don’t like to have to answer challenging questions. As it is now, AnninCA is enjoying taunting you. And you are attracting your karma by responding to her in childish ways.

thuja on September 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!

For Pete’s sake, a freakin’ abortion is cheaper than the insurance policy you would need to purchase to cover it – unless you’re Whoopi and you get a few a year, I guess.

Someone please, wake me the F up! This cannot really be happening.

not O/T – Anti – Healthcare Takeover/Tea Party on the Boston Common on Saturday, 10/17, noon

gopmom on September 30, 2009 at 7:10 PM

thuja on September 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Karma? Yeah, used to smoke that shit.

TXUS on September 30, 2009 at 7:23 PM

As it is now, AnninCA is enjoying taunting you.

thuja on September 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Sure, like a ball of yarn taunting a cat. The yard ain’t having half the fun the cat is.

Substance is great. Keep your eye on the substance. Skip the yarn-swatting stuff.

Gang-of-One on September 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Doh!

Gang-of-One on September 30, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Nope, never expect any agreement from this blog. AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Are you kidding? Everyone here is in total agreement about you.

Mojave Mark on September 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I remember reading that Dr. Tiller charged $3000.00 for a late term abortion, and he made millions a year from just these procedures, the majority of them not done for the “health of the mother”, no matter what the left insists. The outrage I feel at the thought of taxpayer dollars paying for this barbaric procedure defies description.

oldoldbabs on September 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM