Amazing: Palin’s book number one on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble bestseller list; Update: “It is truly unprecedented”

posted at 6:58 pm on September 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Forty-eight days before the release and she’s already topped Dan Brown’s latest conspiracy-theory casserole at both top retailers. To put that in perspective, note that the book doesn’t even have a cover yet. So much for the Page Six hit piece about demand for her being slack.

No way to tell yet, obviously, whether the monster launch will have legs or whether it’ll deflate a bit next week after Palinistas are all done ordering their advance copies. But if it goes on to become a mega-seller, it’s a game-changer insofar as it’ll establish her unquestionably as the most prominent Republican in America, which leaves Huck and Mitt in an awkward spot before the primaries and presents the media with an interesting choice. Do they try to spin the sales as unrepresentative of her support among Republicans given that plenty of liberals are bound to buy the book for campaign dish and insight into the Palin “trainwreck”? Or do they follow lefty conventional wisdom that Palin would be the easiest person to beat in 2012 and talk up her appeal to Republicans to try to nudge her into a presidential run? (Righty conventional wisdom, of course, is that she’s the candidate the left most fears, but given their expectation of future Couric-type disasters during a campaign, I’m skeptical that that’s true.) Only one thing’s certain: If she hasn’t already been signed to write a second book, she will be soon. “Common Sense Conservatism” by Sarah Palin, perchance?

Update: Prognosis for mega-sales: Good.

HarperCollins will print 1.5 million copies for the book’s first run, the same number that was printed for late Sen. Ted Kennedy’s memoir “True Compass.”

Kennedy’s book, published earlier this month, currently stands at number six on the Amazon list.

A publishing industry source told POLITICO that they “cannot remember a non-fiction book taking off like this in the pre-order market. It became number one only a couple of hours after nothing more than a date announcement. It is truly unprecedented.”

Much of the 400-page book is based on journals Palin kept during her vice-presidential run.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Oh, how the left is gonna get all “wee weed” up..

shar61 on October 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

No one saw this particularly virulent Two Months Hate coming. No one could have.

ddrintn on October 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Perhaps it’s hindsight, but I just don’t agree.

TheUnrepentantGeek on October 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM

if the mediots had spent 1/10th the energy looking into obamas usless life as they did Sarah’s we wouldn’t be in this precedented debacle we’re in.

huckelberry on October 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Oh, how the left is gonna get all “wee weed” up..

shar61 on October 1, 2009 at 10:32 PM

piss on them..

huckelberry on October 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM

The difference is – they’ve run their game on her – she’s innoculated.

Pick a new candidate – they’ll run the same game on him.

HondaV65 on October 1, 2009 at 5:21 PM

That’s exactly right. Future SNL skits are going to look like leftovers in the next election cycle. How much longer can Tina Fey carry out the same old shtick before people get bored?

caygeon on October 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM

From the Austen Goolsbee thread:

“…Sarah Palin, wingnut, former governor of Alaska, quitter; you cannot rule out that by 2012 there will be a warrant for her arrest.”

Austen Goolsbee at DC’s Funniest Celebrity Contest

COMMENT:

Now folks what if Scooter Libby had said the same thing in jest about Hillary Clinton.

Could this be an opening salvo in ratcheting up the Palin narrative using Alinsky tactics?

technopeasant on October 1, 2009 at 11:58 PM

If Sarah Palin is so stupid, why does the left insist on constantly attacking her?

Liberals are so silly.

cannonball on October 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I don’t like the cover. Too much like the “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” movie poster. Someone at HarperCollins is subtly undermining. But it probably won’t hurt sales.

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM

curves, I think you are on to something here…actually Sarah is the 44-year old Virgin, in terms of politics.

This hints at her explaining her popularity (many cite “integrity” above all other reasons they support her).

And it hints at some of the distain from the right. It is a natural conservative reflex that “no one is that pure”.

DanOwillbookem on October 2, 2009 at 7:47 AM

I’m pre-ordering my copy TODAY. Looking forward to seeing the elites get all bent up over the coming sales.

I wonder if she rates a review from the editors of the NYT? Not that it really matters much… :P

itzWicks on October 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Both from her visit to Kosovo. A fresh reminder to all jackasses that TRY to put her down, all that she has said and done for our troops. That’s one of the many reasons I like her, I’d be in Cloud 9 to meet her and for my kids to meet her.

If she wanted to go to Iraq as a civilian and do things like this, can she? We have seen Jesse James, et.al., but she’d have to go thru USO, right? Dunno if she will be given the same “space” as she had as the Governor of Alaska.

Military folks, if you read pls. let me know!!

ProudPalinFan on October 2, 2009 at 8:56 AM

SQUEEEEEEE!

Just saw the cover for her book, I’m super excited. LOL

CambellBrown on October 2, 2009 at 9:40 AM

o/t…but, could someone in the vicinity of Rep. Luis Gutierrez please kick his teeth down his throat.
We don’t want illegal aliens here, you jacka$$. Get a clue.

HornetSting on September 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM

ESTOY TOTALMENTE DE ACUERDO CONTIGO, HornetSting! ITA agree with you! (translation, I had to holler b/c that dipshit thinks that because he has Puerto Rican heritage he can speak for all Latinos. He only has to speak to HIS dumbasses Latinos (ehem, constituents) that keep voting for him, along with those other two.

Puerto Ricans that live in the States here pay the price b/c of the misunderstanding of us being illegals when that is not true! Look up the World Atlas and you will see the difference. Where I live, Mexicans don’t like Puerto Ricans because we are born Americans, we have our dollar (pfft), have our US Passports and on applications, we write “American” on “Citizenship”.

My gosh, I absolutelyfriggin’ hate it when someone tries to get a pass and get US taxpayers’ benefits when I didn’t even got WIC for both pregnancies (why cheat the system when we make enough money??? Hellooo???)

I don’t like those three reps. from NY because they support independence for Puerto Rico when they have no business meddling with the island, and also to top it off supreme court judge Sotomayor supports this as well; if a bill that is on the loop right now about this matter (PR referendum) gets messed up is because of these people. That is in one of her op-eds, when she was not born nor raised there.

4M+ people depend on the end of this eternal political conflict. People born and raised in NYC nor any other descendants should have a say in this matter.

ProudPalinFan on October 2, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Oh, look at that. Nobody cares about the life of Zombie Swimmer, a profile in courage, a lion of the Senate, a stinking pickled old reprobate. Go, Sarah Palin!

alliebobbitt on October 2, 2009 at 10:06 AM

But it probably won’t hurt sales.

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Her book is so hot, it really doesn’t need a cover at all. Maybe just a plain brown wrapper.

Blacksmith8 on October 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

She does wander and does not complete her sentences.

Buy Danish on October 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Excuse me? I’ve listened to most of Mrs. Palin’s recorded remarks. I’ve enjoyed every minute.

Before I call you a liar and a deceitful troll, could you provide even one recorded example to verify your claim?

Blacksmith8 on October 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Buy Danish, I saw your remark. What I noticed was you FAILED to respond. It’s a simple request. Educate me, if you can. It’s simple. Put up or shut up.
Provide a reference to support your blather.

Blacksmith8 on October 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Whomever the left hates the most must be the best.

I have a crush on Sarah. Hyper intelligent, Strong, Christian, Conservative and Just pain hot. Like a cross between Maggie Thatcher and a supermodel.

Hubba Hubba

reaganrules on October 2, 2009 at 10:21 AM

B… but… she’s stupid!!

/Left

crazy_legs on October 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM

EXACTLY! I had the same thing happen when I purchased Liberty&Tyranny @ Borders. The look on the 20somethingwearingskinnyjeanshipster`s face was absolutely priceless!I expect a very similar reaction.

NY Conservative on September 30, 2009 at 8:45 PM

My experience with Liberty & Tyranny was I purchased the audiobook unabridged & uploaded on my iPod. WEEKS later, I was admiring the book cover since in front of the mini-Borders store and the employee approached me-almost whispering-if I read the book and if the book was good. I just gushed over Mark Levin’s book, and I said “OOhhh it’s sooo goood!, etc. etc.) Sounded like I was talking about a latte or a Frapp w/whipped cream on it.

She seemed glad and had a sense of relief that the book was not full of bullcrap. I was pleasantly surprised that an employee asked ME a feedback of a conservative book.

ProudPalinFan on October 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM

ProudPalinFan on October 2, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Sounds like you’ve arrived. I’m praying the day will come when all left-leaners will wake up and ask conservatives about the truth.

Christian Conservative on October 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM

She does wander and does not complete her sentences.

Buy Danish on October 1, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Blacksmith8 on October 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Blacksmith8, I do think Buy Danish has confused the blundering blithering booobus bloviating boring blubbering of Obama off-teleprompter with Gov. Palin’s speeches.

Also, note that he didn’t even try to compare Sarah to Jumpin Joe Plugs Biden.. The gaffe a minute man.

Sarah Palin has mistaken the Irish PM’s speech on the teletubbie for how own how many times now (Hint for the leftist liberal losers – SP never did that. However, your hereo, Ozero did just that. He didn’t even realize he was reading someone else’s speech even when he was congratulating himself.)

bullseye on October 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Huck and Mitt have always been in an awkward spot.

Aronne on October 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Drudge has a siren up – Ozero fanned out with the olympics.. Guess he’ll have to send those styrofoam columns back again.

bullseye on October 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM

When all this is done, the conservative candidate that conservatives have chosen will be the front runner.

The Republican party establishment will come along for the ride.

massrighty on October 1, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Interesting ideas. I don’t think closed primaries would be a terribly hard sell these days.

TheUnrepentantGeek on October 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM

bullseye on October 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Yea, I know. I saw the comment about polarizing and I just KNEW there was a scum sucking troll wandering loose.

Blacksmith8 on October 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

DanOwillbookem on October 2, 2009 at 7:47 AM

I would really like a virgin politician.
That’s what they are ideally supposed to be.
I may be skeptical about politicians’ purity, but wouldn’t it be refreshing to have someone who was honest & forthright, not ashamed to admit mistakes as well as their mistakes being somewhat minor?
I consider Bristol’s problems minor.
If I find out that Sarah is a philanderer, well then that would ruin it for me.
But other than that, it looks so far as if she’s untouched by real corruption.

Badger40 on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

She is anything but, except to those predisposed….

Watch for the cover to be either changed or be the target (and source) of ridicule. Mine would have been better.

I hate the clouds. The clouds and the starry-eyed pose refute the title.

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM

She is anything but, except to those predisposed….

I hate the clouds. The clouds and the starry-eyed pose refute the title.

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 1:08 PM

well there curves, that skepticism of her political purity would be the “natural conservative reflex” I was referring to. Good for you. I’ve read up on Mrs. Palin and have found ZERO evidence of personal or public-service vice, outside of those slanderous rantings of Andrew Sullivan and the Alaska weblog progressives. But you have done your own research too, haven’t you? Tell us about her impurity. Please. An example of her amoral or immoral conduct in either the private or public domain. Answer quickly, curves. Before that haughty “predisposed” label splashes back on your sorry troll cheek….

DanOwillbookem on October 2, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Oy. Seeing trolls everywhere. Not a good sign. Political non-virgin needn’t imply corruption, unless…you…want…it…to. [How’s that? Phraseology meet your approval? Uh oh. ‘Phraseology’ might be trouble.)

A bad cover is a bad cover. No matter which direction the thread is flowing. Whether it was you or someone else got twitchy over the word ‘virgin’ from a movie title, not much I can do about that.

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Book is being publiched through Zondervan, a big Bible printing house now owned by Murdoch, owner of FOX. He also owns Harper Collins the co publisher (Two publishers? Different publisher atributes for different booksellers?)

I noticed Zondervan a few years ago when I think it was Dobson criticized some of their Bible translations for shifting meanings with subtle word replacements. I do not remember the details so I can’t say it was Zondervan making the changes or just printing the changed versions

I normally don’t buy ghost writer volumes, but I am dead curious to read her book.

We only get dibs and dabs of Palin, when she squeaks through the cracks of the media barricade. The complete Palin is quite an unknown.

The media has created a huge advantage for her by making her a zero

They should regret their stupidity, because now Palin has game advantage and will dish up a full dose of her side of the story

entagor on October 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM

curves, you are trying to walk back a subtle smear

“She is anything but…”

– nice try. Still waiting for

We are still waiting, troll. Spare us the clever-by-half innuendoes and the small chit knocks on the movie-poster similarities of the bookcover (a bookcover! OY!).

DanOwillbookem on October 2, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Wha?

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM

curves,

The feedback is in on the cover. Feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

Like the trolls, you are always looking for the superficial to criticize.

You have nothing on the woman, and neither does the SRM.

Go to your corner and cry.

Sapwolf on October 3, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I consider Bristol’s problems minor.
If I find out that Sarah is a philanderer, well then that would ruin it for me.
But other than that, it looks so far as if she’s untouched by real corruption.

Badger40 on October 2, 2009 at 12:49 PM

My family see Bristol Palin in a different way. She’s the least of our problems. She has her own family to be worried out or to worry about.

How many women went to abortions each year? Hundred thousands per year.
Why they went to abortion? Rape and ultra-delicate health reasons were not the top reasons, either.

American women of all age brackets made wrong choices. Millions of them. Same number of men who were irresponsible. It takes two to tango. Isn’t the usual mindset is this: MIND YOUR OWN PERSONAL BUSINESS?

Why Bristol should bear the punishment and derision of the American Lifestyle?

We talk about unwanted teen pregnancy but we don’t talk about unwanted “supposedly rational” adult pregnancy. This is HYPOCRISY AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL.

Some argue: Because she’s the daughter of the VP nominee. And since when Americans want their President, their Vice President, or their Government to teach them about PERSONAL BUSINESS?

Do we want our Government to teach us when, how, whom to do it? This is statist and puritannical.

Bristol has her own life. She’s a total person. She’s not her mother.

I don’t fault her. She fell in love with a boy. She did everything for him. Now, she’s a mockery because of the result? She’s the only one who suffered from her own decisions: who carried the child in 9 months? who gave birth? who received the ridicule? WHEN WILL THE SCORN OF THE SOCIETY STOP?

THAT’S INJUSTICE TO BRISTOL PALIN.

Anyone can mock Bristol Palin. Yes. Freedom. But remember at your own peril. Unless the person who wants to mock Bristol is certain that he will never raise a child or he will force his child or children not to bear a grand children. Life is amazing. We will never know will return back to haunt us and to our forebears.

Cursing Bristol is cursing her own baby. I am pretty sure that Bristol’s son is still without sin and God in heaven has a special purpose for him.

TheAlamos on October 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM

I have met Gov Palin twice. The first time was during a cruise to Alaska, the 2nd at a campaign rally. She was extremely warm and gracious in person. Personally, I think she is more attractive, too.

di butler on October 3, 2009 at 4:49 AM

I was wondering about the picture for the cover. Then I got it. It’s the starry eyed gaze. She is looking at that “shining city on a hill”.

Most excellent metaphor Mrs. Palin!

Blacksmith8 on October 3, 2009 at 9:43 AM

curved space on October 2, 2009 at 6:00 AM

DanOwillbookem on October 2, 2009 at 7:47 AM

HUH?

First, she’s 45, but past that, she’s certainly no “political virgin.” Sarah has been doing this for almost two decades, and most of that has been as an executive.

When you look at time put in, and positions held, Sarah stacks up incredibly well against any politician in the country. Her time as Governor was nothing less than incredible.

Here’s a list of what she did, just this year. For most people that would be a lifetime’s worth of work, not seven short months!

gary4205 on October 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Blacksmith8 on October 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Plain brown wrapper?
That might be a good title for her next book!

DSchoen on October 3, 2009 at 9:34 PM

TheAlamos on October 3, 2009 at 3:05 AM

I wonder who would be the President of the USA “TODAY” had abortion been legal in 1960?

DSchoen on October 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I’m weary of the never ending lefty drivel comments on Amazon. If she is as they purport – how do ya imagine the book has reached unprecedented pre-published sales. Oh, how they hate her. Common sense – Rush is correct…. they fear her the most. Go Sarah!!! Who is a more conservative bookseller?

highninside on October 4, 2009 at 5:48 PM

There’s a cover? I wanna see it. Hmmm…quick search and…Just looks like Sarah to me.
She was my Mayor before she was my Governor and the left has good reason to fear her.

Army Brat on October 4, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Where is Sarah? She hasn’t posted on Facebook in 10 days. She created a twitter account after she resigned as Governor that she hasn’t used.

B26354 on October 5, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Yet another example of how she is just a celeb, not a serious person.

Moesart on October 5, 2009 at 12:22 PM