Video: New Starbucks commercial goofs on … townhall protesters

posted at 10:13 pm on September 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Mediaite does its best to stoke some outrageous outrage but I’m not feeling it. What’s “risky” about this? If they had the guy carrying an AR-15 or an “Obama = Hitler” sign, that would be one thing, but only in Nancy Pelosi’s tender mind does shouting indicate McVeigh-ish radicalism. If the man’s so excited about Starbucks instant blend that he needs to sing out, then damn it, sing out. Frankly, the fact that townhall protests are now so thoroughly embedded in the national consciousness that a major company feels safe to parody them in paid ads is a testament to their effectiveness.

On the other hand, this is Starbucks we’re talking about. Hmmmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

What I’ve started doing is blending Slimfast chocolate powder with milk, ice, and instant coffee.
i like to think of it as an inexpensive frapaccino.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM

never liked starbucks.
Eight O’Clock Colombian, whole bean, hate the grinders in the store, they taste like whatever the last few people ground. if someone is awake our pot is fresh and on lol
the wife and i go thru a grinder and a couple coffee pots a year :)

trailortrash on September 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM

My parents used to grind their own Eight O’ Clock.
We’d by it at the local A & P.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

betsyz on September 30, 2009 at 1:08 AM

That is so weird. I think you might be my evil twin.

Actually, I am the evil one.

BWA hahaahaa ha ha ha.

bitsy on September 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM

was raised on A&P lol, its been gone from richmond for almost 20 years now.

trailortrash on September 30, 2009 at 1:22 AM

—Mr. Allah

I whole heartedly concur Mr. Allah.

Geochelone on September 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM

bitsy on September 30, 2009 at 1:21 AM

Maybe we’re both evil. Our code names are similar enough.

betsyz on September 30, 2009 at 1:28 AM

We still have A&P coffee here in Atlanta. I dont drink coffee anymore, kept inflaming my ulcer, but I do throw up when I drive by Starbuck$ if the scent of burnt coffee is strong enough…..and yes, I roll up the window and hold my breath when I go past.

di butler on September 30, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Stupid.

Dopenstrange on September 30, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Folks, buy yourselves a Bialetti espresso maker and milk frother, use your favorite ground coffee, and you’ll never go back to Starbucks again.

More Bialetti espresso makers here. We bought the 9-cup model. That makes 2 large coffee mugs worth of cappuccino for me and my better half.

Don’t forget to buy a serious 2-tablespoon coffee scoop – one scoopful per mug. Make sure the handle is solid and doesn’t bend easily.

You won’t regret the investment. And, yes, this is tons better than expensive electric espresso machines.

Shy Guy on September 30, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Actually, if they had the guy with an “Obama = Bitter Coffee” sign, that would have been pretty good.

progressoverpeace on September 30, 2009 at 1:50 AM

I haven’t read most of the previous posts. But, from what I can garner, I sort of appreciate Starbuck’s for even acknowledgment of the event, where as, our stupid, stupid president does seem to want to pretend that the protesters either never existed or else were some small group of hot-heads, who were on some trivial grudge-fest. He really needs to realize that for every person who showed up in D.C., there were probably thousands at home rooting them on. And that goes for all of the town-hall attendees.

betsyz on September 30, 2009 at 2:00 AM

Any time the subject of coffee comes up, I’m reminded of the near obsession that Special Agent Dale Cooper of Twin Peaks had for a damn fine cup of coffee.

I’ll pass on Starbucks because of taste and ideology. I’ll take Dunkin’ Donuts any day. Heck, I’ll buy ground White Castle before Starbucks.

BuckeyeSam on September 30, 2009 at 2:03 AM

My parents used to grind their own Eight O’ Clock.
We’d by it at the local A & P.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM

I’m so old that I rode in the wagon that my mom pulled to the A&P because “women didn’t drive in the 50″s”…I remember the smell of the coffee at the A&P still, all these years later…
Now I sit here at a computer, sipping coffee with a shot of whiskey–remembering riding in a little red wagon, when the world was in black and white, and I just knew that if I put my hands over my head , and hid under my desk–I would be safe in a nuclear attack.
Funny thing–this is EXACTLY why I am now a “tea partier”!

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 2:16 AM

There are great coffees, good coffees, bad coffees, and mediocre coffees.
The thing that ruins every coffee is sitting on the burner past the brewing time. Breaks everything down and all become too bitter and foul tasting to stomach. I don’t care how much you have paid per pound.

betsyz on September 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 2:16 AM

I was reading your post of things past. I, too, hid under the desk during drills. But what stuck me was that when my parents would re-tell their stories, I could only imagine them in black and white. My own children (in their 20′s) do the same thing to me. They can’t seem to imagine that their parents lived in the wonderful world of color, as did every person on earth. It is sort of funny that this sort of phenomenon is repeated on and on and continues when people venture to thoughts into the past.

betsyz on September 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM

betsyz on September 30, 2009 at 2:26 AM

Ongoing joke in our household–grandson (now 11yrs) saying, (when he was 5)–”I can’t watch that–”THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW”– because it’s in black and white!”…

lovingmyUSA on September 30, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I thought it was cute… imo, anytime people are reminded of the Townhalls, the better!

Tom Bergeron on Dancing with the Stars made a joke about them this week, too: after low judges’ scores for one of the couples, there was a lot of booing; Tom said that he felt like he was at a summer “health care meeting”. He got the name wrong, but I think people got the joke. And again, I’m glad people are being reminded of them, it was one of America’s finest hours in recent history.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on September 30, 2009 at 5:12 AM

Um, I might boycott Starbucks except that I don’t drink Starbucks… it’s nasty. They purposely burn their beans, then call that a “recipe.”

Lehosh on September 30, 2009 at 5:29 AM

Never thought about coffee more than which is on sale this week, Maxwell House or Folgers,or occasionally a crummy store brand when the other major brands aren’t on sale.

Jeff from WI on September 30, 2009 at 5:47 AM

I saw that and thought it was pretty dumb. I don’t drink coffee. Maybe – to a coffee drinker – it’s hillarious as hell.

BrideOfRove on September 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM

What could be next? Town Hall protester as Halloween costume? Now THAT’S when you know a thing has “made it”.

BrideOfRove on September 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM

They actually recognize that there were townhall protests? That from a solidly Left establishment? And they show them as relatively civil gatherings?

Amazing!

Now if only they could offer as good a quality of coffee at a decent price to match, say, McDonald’s. That and Dunkin Donuts got me across this great land of ours by car a number of times. But then staying awake at a low price with decent coffee was the goal… not investing in an ‘image’ that didn’t enhance taste and cost too much.

ajacksonian on September 30, 2009 at 6:34 AM

I don”t like Starbucks either. Whoever said above about burning the beans is right. Dunkin. We like that Papa Nicholas Hawiian blend here.

LtE126 on September 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM

No big deal. If they really wanted to play up any negative lefty connotations, they would have made the protesters look less middle/working class normal and there wouldn’t have been a black guy in the audience.

CarolynM on September 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM

*chuckles* That’s just stupid.

splash883 on September 30, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Well, that ’bout tears it!
I’ll no longer pay five bucks
For bad, burned coffee!

Haiku Guy on September 30, 2009 at 7:26 AM

No outrage – its funny and an interesting marketing ploy. Still have no interest in starbucks. I’ll keep my Folger’s.

frank58 on September 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM

I’ll add the chorus of those who think Starbucks purposely burns the beans. Beyond that, I always seem to get behind the guy/gal who is ordering for the entire office with each separate drink in that order requiring a PhD in chemistry to concoct.

highhopes on September 30, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Their coffee STILL tastes like sludge.

In the real world the protestors would be screaming,
“Who the hell drinks this Sh$t??!!!”

Elizabetty on September 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

frank58 on September 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM

That’s only because you’ve always had a thing for Mrs. Olson…LOL

Jeff from WI on September 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

When people pay $4-$5 for a cup of coffee, we DESERVE a recession.

Jeff from WI on September 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Only idiot libs would pay $6 for a $1 cup of coffee, which is why it’s their sort of place.

wildcat84 on September 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM

Friend of ours owns a restaurant and his father-in-law is a retired VP from a major corporation. My friend tells me as soon as the coffee finishes brewing, remove the grounds from the basket, otherwise the acid leeches from the grounds. He claims the acid is what imparts a bitter taste.

His father-in-law’s territory was the mid-Atlantic area. His take was the best coffee he could get was 7-11′s “house blend”, followed by Dunkin’ Donuts.

oldleprechaun on September 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM

The thing that bothers me about this commercial is: it doesn’t explain the point or purpose of the product. Instead of mocking townhall attendess, maybe they should explain why I would buy instant coffee from a coffee shop? I don’t get it.

kooly on September 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Why would Town Hall people, meeting to express outrage over governments EXCESSIVE SPENDING, be a commercial subject for a company that charges better than $5 for a lousy cup of coffee??!

Jeff from WI on September 30, 2009 at 8:08 AM

kooly on September 30, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Great point. Tell me about the product and how it is different and/or superior than the competition. When you add a political component to an ad, you invariably turn off one group or another.

diogenes on September 30, 2009 at 8:14 AM

frank58 on September 30, 2009 at 7:29 AM

I agree, it’s the best part of waking up.

I saw the ad last night and thought it was funny and fresh. A little partisan, but funny and fresh.

scalleywag on September 30, 2009 at 8:19 AM

The subliminal message I’m taking from this ad is that even Town Hall people are ‘cool’ if they drink Starbucks. Apparently they are already familiar with it’s dissolves-paint-off-of-cars strength and can identify the same bitter, DOW chemical composition in the instant version. Isn’t everyone who drinks Starbucks like, totally cool? Don’t you buy all your ubertrendy musical artists’ CDs there? I mean really!

Monkeybrains220 on September 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

There was nothing funny or fresh about it. It was a tired and pointless attempt to ridicule a segment of the American population (all of whom were white, ‘cuz otherwise it would be racist, okay?) in order to sell a product. The fact that the product is barely mentioned is not necessarily ineffective, as it is enough to build brand awareness. But you can do that without insulting people.

I rarely go to Starbucks, opting instead for a local chain near my office.

manwithblackhat on September 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM

If I were Dunkin Donuts, I’d make a commercial showing a Palin, George Bush, or Dick Cheney look alike, seemingly standing in line at Starbucks. Drive the LIBS crazy

Jeff from WI on September 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Yes, yes, eeeeexcellent. It’s all going according to plan.

rihar on September 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Starbucks is not only overpriced it’s own by left-wing freaks who are big Berry supporter. Starbucks coffee beans sucks.
Caffeine is my drug of choice, I brew mine at home, been grinding coffee beans for years. Vermont’s Green Mountain breakfast blend beans are some of the best you can buy. Just try a cup of Starbucks coffee without the steamed milk and foam, there coffee really suck.

try again later on September 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I like Starbucks and it’s the only thing around downtown San Antonio, unfortunately.

And it’s only $2 a cup. I don’t get any of the froo froo stuff, of course it’s expensive if you get a lot of extra nonsense in it.

If I want milk and chocolate, I’ll order a chocalate milk.

If I want coffee, I want coffee. No milk. No sugar. No phoney sweetners.

Just coffee.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Speaking of A&P coffee, my grandmother told me long ago that FDR almost put them out of business. Must have been too many regulations, just another example of government meddling in the private sector.

Kissmygrits on September 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

i like to think of it as an inexpensive frapaccino.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2009 at 1:17 AM

I substitute chocolate ice cream for the slimfast and call it Fatpaccino.

faol on September 30, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Partially correct.

“…ridicule a segment of the American population…”? Most definately.

“…in order to sell a product…” Only partially true.

Alinsky’s Rule 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.”

Expect more of this from the expandingly fascist Obama/”socially conscience”-business complex.

rvastar on September 30, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Say what you will about Dunkin or Starbucks, the best coffee in the world is when you stick one eye out of your phartsack and it is 20 below with a foot of snow. You see the reflection of a blue flame and the mess sgt has just dumped a #10 can of folgers into a 20 gallon pot of boiling water. You wait until he has dumped in the egg shells and salt, let it boil for a few minutes, then hop out and put on your boots. You will have the best aluminum cup of coffee ever served by one man to another. Just make sure you let the egg shells and grounds settle first.

Our starbucks lit up our town for two months then folded. They are the most pretentious people I have ever seen.

Old Country Boy on September 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Whatever the brand, if it’s not cooked like “cowboy” coffee (aka “chuck wagon” or “trail”) then it just ain’t coffee.

Some people do have trouble finding the required horseshoe.

;-)

Yoop on September 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I was a Starbucks devotee for years – until yesterday, when I discovered the local roast is much better and $4 a pound cheaper. If I decided yesterday morning to no longer buy Starbucks, am I still a hero?

And where is the “Why the “F” did Michelle take Air Force One to Denmark, so it could turn around, pick up Barry and fly him to Denmark, fly him back to the US and then turn around and go pick up Michelle again” article? Now that should produce some outrageous outrage.

gopmom on September 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM

It’s not surprising Starbucks would trumpet the Liberal message. Being a typical conservative there is no way in hell I’d pay $1.50 or better for a cup of coffee when I can go to McDonald’s and get an even better cup at the senior price of $.50. Screw Starbucks, their laptops and high prices.

Herb on September 30, 2009 at 9:33 AM

The commercial wasn’t funny, but it wasn’t offensive either. I don’t really care for their coffee, when I go out for a cup, I tend to go to the local coffee house. They know how to make good coffee for half the price and half the liberal attitude. Not only do I support the little guy, but I get a great cup of coffee for half the price.

Torch on September 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Some people do have trouble finding the required horseshoe.;-)
Yoop on September 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Whew scared me for a minute thought that shoe was going to be another word for manure.

Herb on September 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

There’s really only one thing to say here:

I can’t taste the difference!”

Then again, I don’t patronize this retailer, favoring:

1. Cup O’ Joe (a local coffeehouse)
2. Panera
3. McDonalds
4. COSI
5. Bruegers’ Bagels
6. et al.

Commercials such as this one should cause a loss of business.

EconomicNeocon on September 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Wasn’t it only a handful of months ago that Starbucks was struggling? Looks like their getting a little too cocky if you ask me.

I’m living back in Canada now. It’s Tim Hortons here.

caygeon on September 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I stopped buying Starbucks beans back when they forayed into the music biz and promoted Joni Mitchell’s anti-Catholic CD. They should have stuck to what they do best, just brew the coffee.

However, I still do occasionally buy a bag of Starbucks beans at Publix, only when it’s on sale. I feel like I’m “sticking it to Starbucks” by not purchasing it directly from them.

Otherwise, I drink Caribou, Gevalia (both of which I probably have liberal tendencies too although I think Caribou sends coffee to the troops) and occasionally Folgers Bold Java, which is suprisingly good.

Brat on September 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I think the spot’s cute.

As for Charbucks, as an independent coffee roaster myself there’s a lot to critique. But even though I’m a fierce critic of their founding decision to go with a DARK roast Italian tradition, of their successive decisions that favored business ideas over coffee quality (such as going with super-auto espresso machines thereby eschewing barista talent as something valuable to customer satisfaction with product and in-store experience), and of their predatory competitive practices — even with all that, I have to say it.

Their relatively new instant coffee is mind-blowingly good.

I take my own roasted whole bean coffee camping and grind it on the spot for best brew. That’s just ’cause I’m a picky coffee roaster. But I gotta say it — I’d be willing to take their instant along instead, in a pinch. It’s that good.

I’ve admired it even more as I’ve learned about how the project of its production came about. This isn’t the only good thing Starbucks has done, but it’s one I’m pretty impressed with!

rasqual on September 30, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Torch on September 30, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I tried McDonald’s for coffee.

The local place has no identifiable lines, so people are all jostled together. And the kind of people that were there, I didn’t want to be jostling.

Then the girl couldn’t make change for a $20. It was if I handed her rubles. She was completely bewildered.

That’s what comes out of an ATM, deal with it, honey.

So that’s the last time I went to McDonald’s for coffee.

I go to Starbucks, they’re friendly, they’re efficient, the coffee is damn good and I don’t give a damn about politics when I want my coffee.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Their relatively new instant coffee is mind-blowingly good.

I’m glad to hear that, I bought some yesterday but haven’t tried it yet.

I’m looking forward to using it when I don’t have a lot of time to make coffee and thinking it will be good in ice before my 0530 run.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Nobody can make instant coffee taste as good as fresh ground.

Vashta.Nerada on September 30, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Old Country Boy on September 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I make my own Turkish coffee, and approve of your recipe, and your comment on Starbucks.

Vashta.Nerada on September 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

The first step in going Galt is brewing your own coffee.

exception on September 30, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Kissmygrits on September 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Aren’t they out of business now?

Elizabetty on September 30, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Frankly, I have always found McDonald’s coffee better than anything Starbucks was serving.

For those of you who love GREAT coffee, and are willing to take a little extra effort for something really tasty, click on over to THE ANCHORESS and order MYSTIC MONK coffee via the ad site on the right. It is the BEST coffee – would monks lie to you?

Mutnodjmet on September 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Scooter’s (mostly in the midwest) has much better coffee.

though, I do admit to getting the starbuck’s mocha….the shop is directly on the way to the office…

xiao_en on September 30, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Boy Starbucks is really in trouble huh this commercial to get any attention? I have tried the McDonalds and Dunkin Doughnuts version of Starbucks frappuccino. Call it a taste test :) But Starbucks frappuccino is still better – better but more expensive. Drinking expensive coffee in this economy an addiction anyone can really afford? And Starbucks thinks making fun of anyone who might buy their product is a good idea? Who markets for Starbucks?

Dr Evil on September 30, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I live within walking distance of three Starbucks outlets, but I make my coffee each morning.

Regardless, I think this spot is pretty funny.

NebCon on September 30, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Duncan Donuts has excellent coffee and its cheap! Screw Starbucks!

indy8 on September 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM

kissmygrits
I’ll be 39 three weeks from today-so FDR couldn’t have closed all of the A&P’s down. LoL
The one that I’m thinking of closed in the early to mid 1980′s. It was in a strip mall, next to a Zayre. There was an Eagle down the street.

As for Panera-love their food.
Their mocha’s are good-the reg coffee is gross.
They have decent iced tea as well.

annoyinglittletwerp on September 30, 2009 at 10:41 AM

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM

To each his own. I don’t step foot in Starbucks since it came out that managers take from the employee’s tip jar. I don’t really tend to think too much of politics unless it’s thrown in my face like it is at Starbucks. Many of the employees at the ones where I live had some pretty nasty buttons (flair) concerning Bush and McCain. I lodged a complaint with the manager, only to notice he had a button too. I’ll take my $1.50 cup of coffee over a $3.00 dollar cup any day. Like I said though, to each his own.

Torch on September 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Allah misses the point. Bucks has no courage to take on the anti-globos who throw rocks through their windows but goof on town halls. Fleeping cowards.

RobCon on September 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Do coffee the right way, if you need to get up and get going:

Chuck Wagon (or “Cowboy”) Coffee

Needed:

Campfire
Old beatup gallon coffee pot
Water
Strong, ground coffee
One Horseshoe

Directions:

Fill coffee pot with cold water and throw in five hands full of coffee grounds.

Place on fire and bring to boil. Boil for 20 minutes.

Thrown in horseshoe.

If horseshoe sinks, throw in two additional hands full of coffee and boil 10 additional minutes.

Repeat until horseshoe floats.

Enjoy ;-)

Yoop on September 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

$5 for coffee…you have to have a liberal diseased mind to fall for that.

angryed on September 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

I thought it was funny when I saw it.

Abby Adams on September 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM

I drink only Starbucks Italian Roast.

I only buy the whole beans and grind before each brew.

I occasionally use a French press to brew.

I frequently get a free cup of whatever is BOLD on the current day’s brew cycle as a reward for buying a whole pound of Italian Roast.

I never buy anything else from Starbucks.

I think I stole my blogging name from them.

ExpressoBold on September 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Nawww, that video doesn’t bother me.

But Starbucks is a flaming lib-managed company, almost as bad as Ben and Jerry’s, imo.

petefrt on September 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM

Q: What do you call cheese that belongs to someone else?

A: Natcho cheese.

petefrt on September 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Above was supposed to be addressed to

Yoop on September 30, 2009 at 10:43 AM

petefrt on September 30, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Playing to their “hate all corporations and consumerism but clinically addicted to the Starbucks and Apple brands” liberal base.

Sharke on September 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Starbucks to me is a convenient place to take a wizz when I’m out and about. But for coffee, give me Dunkin Donuts every time. Starbucks coffee is weak, watery and tastes kinda burned.

Sharke on September 30, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I have never gone to a Starbucks, and will keep it that way. It’s like paying thirty dollars for a cheeseburger.

Hening on September 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM

$5 for coffee…you have to have a liberal diseased mind to fall for that.

angryed on September 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

For the last time, IT’S NOT $5.00.

Unless you get carmel and whipped cream and a bunch of other crap in there.

I get 20 oz. of black coffee at Starbucks and it costs me $1.85.

Personally, I like Caribou Coffee, Juan Valdez and Dunkin better, but they all have the same price.

If you buy a lot of sugary goo to put in your coffee, yes, it costs $5.00.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Old Country Boy on September 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM

brings a tear to my eye. Not from the military, but hunting with former marines. Wanna know the secret for being allowed to sleep in (eg…5AM) on a hunting trip….get known for making “bad” coffee. Works like a charm. hehehe

Fighton03 on September 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I empathize with your position. Finding a Starbucks is also easier for me than finding a Dunking Donuts or any other kind of coffee place.

ExpressoBold on September 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I grind my own and used to buy their whole bean Colombian, but stopped when they pulled that stupid crap on 9/11.

Haven’t looked back since.

Dave R. on September 30, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I used to roast my own coffee beans using a $5 hot air popcorn popper I found on a discount shelf. I got my green coffee beans from Sweet Marias. When the beans are green they can be stored for a year. As soon as you roast the beans acids begin to break down the proteins and alter the true flavor of the coffee — even when vacuum packed. It is kind of bad to get into roasting your own coffee. Once you’ve had a really truly fresh cup of coffee you pretty much make an icky face on any other pre-packaged coffee. For all you know the bag of roasted coffee you just picked up at Starbucks and paid $12 for could have been sitting there for 6 months and is most certainly stale. Costco on the other hand actually roasts their coffee on site. I’d go up there in the middle of the afternoon because that was just when the roaster would be finished making the fresh coffee for the day. I’d always find the bag that was still warm to the touch. Freshly roasted coffee will not develop the full aroma and flavors until it has had a chance to breathe for a day or 2. After all the excess carbon dioxide is vented off though you will find the smoothest and most flavorful cup of coffee ever.

Now I am broke due to salary cut backs and have been getting by with Maxwell House. It is at least 100% Arabica beans and offers a few varieties of flavor. Other budget coffees mix Robustus beans in with the Arabica which is where the dirty and gritty flavors come from.

Heftyjo on September 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM

ExpressoBold on September 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Exactly, I need my caffeine fix. I’m NoDonkey and I’m a caffeine-aholic.

When I can, I make mine at home and tote it in, but that’s not always easy to do.

My favorite coffee place ever was Caribou in DC, but I was told it was owned by Islamists, so you can’t win. If you dig deep enough, you can find something to dislike about pretty much everybody.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Exactly, I need my caffeine fix. I’m NoDonkey and I’m a caffeine-aholic.
[...]
NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM

ROFL!

ExpressoBold on September 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Starbucks reminds me of the Democratic party….. far too complicated and way too expensive.

workingforpigs on September 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM

workingforpigs on September 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM

No, the Democrat Party is more like Bud Lite.

A overhyped inferior product sold exclusively to idiots, that makes them even more stupid the more they consume.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Another reason to avoid Starbucks: I don’t know about anywhere else, but here in New York they seem to have a policy of only ever playing “Bob Marley’s Greatest Hits.” That’s all you ever hear, Bob Marley. And the occasional bit of “world music.” It’s all so politically correct and right-on. Let’s hear some Dolly Parton for chrissakes.

Sharke on September 30, 2009 at 3:39 PM

May I recommend “SEATTLE’S BEST” as a principled alternative to StarBucks?

For a couple of years or so now, they have been working with “SOLDIERS’ ANGELS” to enable donation of prime coffee to our deployed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Being a long-time private despatcher of care packages to our few-and-the-brave, believe me, they LUST for good coffee!

Via my local “BORDERS” (I know, I know), every Friday is “Coffee for the Troops” day where you can purchase any bag of the “Seattle’s Best” Specialty Grind Beans (preferably using a discount Borders Item coupon, in which case you get a good deal) which “Soldiers’ Angels” will then despatch to the overseas AOs for you.

Meanwhile, you also get any FREE DRINK of your choice at the Borders Beverage-and-Snack Bar for your generosity (At one drink per bag, you can really start racking up the freebie thirstquenchers).

Mojamaiko on September 30, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Maybe. But it also means that they are becoming unremarkable. What is safe to parody today will be safe to ignore tomorrow.

JackOfClubs on September 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM

It’s America…..Starbucks has a right to go out of business. Yuppie stuff anyway.

Jakefut on September 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Patriot Coffee
The only reason to go to Starbucks:
1. Gift card.