Video: Community organizers pray to their new deity, or something; Update: Or do they? Update: Poll added

posted at 10:55 am on September 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’m tempted to make fun of this, but the First Mate was absolutely aghast at the idol-worship connotations of this video. The Gamaliel Foundation is a community-organizing group that acts as the ground troops for Barack Obama’s domestic policies, especially health-care reform. Anyone who has spent any time in church will recognize the worship cadence of this clip, which puts Obama in the place of the Lord in prayer:

A couple of points: This video came from last December, not recently, which means that the lunacy preceded the current debate over ObamaCare. This was at the tail end of the Democrats’ campaign attempt to cast their agenda in religious terms of social justice, although they have certainly picked up that effort again over the summer. If anything, it reminds people of just how bad Democrats and left-wing groups are at this kind of campaign. No one there seems to realize how shocking and sacreligious this will sound to actual churchgoers, who will rightly recoil at the worship of Obama as an idol in place of the actual Deity.

Update: I wonder what all of those on the Left who made fun of the Christian kids in Jesus Camp have to say about this.  I’m guessing that we’re going to hear the sound of one hand clapping.

Update II: Or do they?  After a couple of repetitions, I’m not sure if they’re saying “Obama” or “Oh God”.  Sounds like “Obama”, and my wife — who is blind and couldn’t read the captions — immediately heard “Obama” when I played it for her.  I’m not sure which it is, but it could be “Oh God” with poor acoustics.

Update III: The Jesus Camp question pertains either way, though.

Update IV: It does sound more like “Obama” in the “Deliver us” part.  I’m really not sure.

Update V: Let’s add a poll and see what everyone thinks:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Please tell me this is a joke.

vcferlita on September 29, 2009 at 11:00 AM

This made me recoil in horror. WTF is wrong with these people??

AngelStandlngBy on September 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Antichrist!! Eeeek.

javamartini on September 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM

The adults are in charge?

Vashta.Nerada on September 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Are they really saying ‘Hear our pray, Obama’??? Is that really what i’m hearing??

PappaMac on September 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

The cult of personality, perpetuated by Obana himself, who has a God complex.
Disgusting.

cubachi on September 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

In retrospect, the de-institutionalization of the insane in the 1950′s was somewhat of a mistake; we are now have them living among us.

theenforser on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I believe this is what Glenn was talking about a few minutes ago. He said he would go into this on his Fox show tonight. It is really amazing all this stuff has been going on for so long. This makes me ill!
L

letget on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

“Hear our cry, Obama”. Oh my. He needs to put a stop to this. But what if he doesn’t?

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

This is what they want to do with the children too. Its leftist indoctrination into the Obama cult of personality.

elduende on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

3 Do not have any other gods before me.

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Why do liberals continue to act as though they still care what the Bible and the Constitution say?

Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

No different than saying to a rock or a log, “You are my god.”

Akzed on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

I wish this surprised me.

joepub on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Let me be clear. These people are stuck on stupid.

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

It is one thing to pray for God to guide the president’s decisions (as the kids in Jesus Camp did) … it’s another altogether to pray to the president. That sends chills down my spine…

CityFish on September 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

These idiots are beyond insane.

Jim Jones People’s Temple redux.

Baxter Greene on September 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Can I get an Amen!

epluribusunum on September 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

The social justice/ religous thing is disturbing. It completely blurs the line between private charity (good) and supporting the government taking stuff from one group of people and giving it to another (bad in that it requires no self sacrifice on the part of the individual agitating for govt. redistribution).

BadgerHawk on September 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

You’re kidding, right? He is not going to put a stop to ANY of this. His entire agenda depends on an escalation of this.

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

PappaMac on September 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Yes, I’m afraid it is. This is the Prayer of the Faithful to 0bama and not God. Idolotry is ugly isn’t it?

theenforser on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

These people didn’t realize what this perversion of ritual looks like. I’m betting they do now…

unclesmrgol on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Words fail me.

Absolutely sickening, horrifying and blasphemous.

This is the end result of political correctness and liberalism.

Way to go lefties…you frickin’ knuckle dragging dipsh*ts!

Flyboy on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I’m not religious but it made me recoil in horror.

There seemed to be so much of this going on during the election with just average people talking about Obama as if he were Jesus that it’s not surprising anymore.

Still disturbing though.

myrenovations on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Jim Jones People’s Temple redux.

Except we’re not talking about just any dude with a God complex. This is the leader of the free world. Again: Obama needs to put a stop to this.

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

golden calf
nuff said

ginaswo on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

I’m reminded of this, oddly:

Diane on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

LOL…

Is this an SNL skit?

TimeTraveler on September 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Don’t miss the reference to “the Prophet Martin Luther King, Jr.”

flipflop on September 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Reminds me of the only difference between God and Obama…

God doesn’t think He’s Obama.

TXUS on September 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Lord hear our prayer

/sarc

Oil Can on September 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I thought I saw BHO blink his eyes 666 times during his last news conference.

spooky!

poppieseeds on September 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

golden calf
nuff said

ginaswo on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

GOLDEN CHILD

therightscoop on September 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

One of the most disgusting vids ever put on HotAir.

Unbelievable.

Sapwolf on September 29, 2009 at 11:07 AM

No different than saying to a rock or a log, “You are my god.”

Akzed on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

It’s a LITTLE different. Rocks and logs aren’t evil.

Daggett on September 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Is this supposed to be a joke? Did you see him put a stop to any of the worship he’s been receiving over the last two years or so?

What makes you think this is any different?

leetpriest on September 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Well, if this gets any play at all in the national media, he should step in and say, “I’m not a God…I’m a man. Please stop.” If he doesn’t, then we’ll know what we’re dealing with here.

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

It also sounds very disturbing to atheists.

Count to 10 on September 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

This will not end well.

Anyone else have a spooky feeling we will see an event akin to the Reichstag Fire in our time?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Don’t miss the reference to “the Prophet Martin Luther King, Jr.”

flipflop on September 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Yeah, that was a good one, slipped that right in…these people really believe this.
This is the real deal. This is the intellect that supports him.

right2bright on September 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM

This HAS to be a joke.

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:09 AM

If you are going to pray to Obama, might as well make it something useful, like a strong economy… perhaps?

Hog Wild on September 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Put a stop to it? He loves it. He believes he is the savior, after all.

Alana on September 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM

if he truly is the savior maybe he can heal my muscular dystrophy. Heal me Obama and make yourself known!

These putzes are incredible and they sicken me… honestly all republicans should do is take these videos and make them national ads I can only imagine how much it would sicken indies and even conservative democrats.

MFn G I M P on September 29, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Don’t miss the reference to “the Prophet Martin Luther King, Jr.”

flipflop on September 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

RAAAAACIST!!

/kidding

Okay.. glad someone else heard that too..

color of skin above all else.

DaveC on September 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM

I don’t think the worship is campaigning. I think it’s part and parcel of their Government-as-God worldview with Obama as its chief prophet.

Diane on September 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM

It will be more like: Don’t…..stop, don’t….stop, don’t…stop, don’t..stop, don’t.stop, don’t stop.

right2bright on September 29, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Jim Jones People’s Temple redux.

Baxter Greene on September 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

you nailed it Bax.

max1 on September 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

The adults are in charge?

Vashta.Nerada on September 29, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Kids wouldn’t do this of their own accord. Kids might go along with this stuff if told to do so, but only grownups could think this up.

Tzetzes on September 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Mene, mene tekel upharshin…

mojo on September 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Why do you think The Obama sought out Jeremiah Wright? Sat in his church, listened to his sermons all those years?

Listen to The Obama, you’ll hear Jeremiah Wright in tone, cadence and style. You’ll see The Obama’s followers reacting in the same way the congregation responded to Rev Wright.

Now invoke your favorite search engine with ‘psychology of crowds’ and note it is the leftists who are enthralled by the idea of controlling the masses and assuming the power that comes from that talent.

Skandia Recluse on September 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Don’t miss the reference to “the Prophet Martin Luther King, Jr.”

flipflop on September 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I suppose “I have a dream…” could be taken as prophesy, but I don’t think the forced payment of all health care via a state controlled transfer of wealth was high on his list (though I have heard that MLK was a socialist, so who knows).

Count to 10 on September 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

0bama is their shepherd. They shall not want.

SouthernGent on September 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

This is not a joke. Reference the school videos. Reference the Obama “Che” poster. Reference the Head gal at Pepsi changing the cans to look like Obama’s logo because she loves him. Reference the NEA and the pulled paperwork from Obama’s “Speech to the **Schoochildren**”".
This is Idolatry. Cue Edward G. Robinson: Where’s your Moses naowww?

kingsjester on September 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Mene, mene tekel upharshin…

mojo on September 29, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Found in wanting wanting by the Persians?
Pretty much.

Count to 10 on September 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

OBAMA:

Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed.

Obama Followers: OBAMA!

OBAMA:

You, my children, are the water that will wash away all that has gone before. In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!

Obama Followers: OBAMA!

GunRunner on September 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

slightly OT; Jack Cashills work has been corroborated via Chris Anderson’s testimony on a Mancow (sic?) radio show. “Two independent Hyde park sources” indicated that Bill Ayers received “truckloads” of notes/tapes from Obama after Obama suffered writers’ block in the production of his book Dreams Of My Father (who dumped me).

The journalistic standard of two sources has been met. This story is well worth a thread of its own, and it really casts doubt into the deification of obama as anything resembling an author.

see http://www.americanthinker.com and check out Tom Lifson’s piece today if you’re interested.

ted c on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

And when they don’t get what they want they’ll blame the Christians and the Jews.

txhsmom on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Wow.

So how is that “putting your faith in man” thing working out for y’all?

29Victor on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Anyone care to guess who the Prophet Jeremiah they reference might be?

Pablo on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

They’re saying “Oh God”, not “Obama”.

LibTired on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

The Won won’t put a stop to it because that’s his control over those people. Never forget it’s all about control and power over the people anyway you can get it. With us it will be health care and cap & Tax. Call, email or fax you elected reps today.

Kissmygrits on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Obama: Please step down and leave our Nation alone.

Hear my prayer, Lord God Almighty.

Key West Reader on September 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I’ll echo what so many others have said here on HA- what is wrong with people???

I am not one to believe in the end times, but sometimes, lately, I’ve begun to wonder…

cibolo on September 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Here is where we need distinct separation between church and state. Odamna must resign. We cannot have a “divine” leader.

Crusader Rabbit on September 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

mmm mmmm mm!

pseudonominus on September 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I could not even listen to more than half of it.”Hear our cry Obama, deliver us Obama” is just flat out sacrilege!

This is really unbelievable how people in this Country have made the man into their god. It really creeps me out.

One question: what does “The One” himself think about being made into a deity? Does it sit well with him because he is such a narcissist, or is he embarrassed by it? Any sane person with an ounce of morality would be weary of such behavior.

Susanboo on September 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

That’s f-ing scary.

Midas on September 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Does this mean there will be a mass suicide when Zero is dethroned in 2012? Hmmmmm – maybe I should get into the casket business.

iam7545 on September 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Can we file this under Are you F#@%in kidding me?!

mizflame98 on September 29, 2009 at 11:17 AM

These idiots are beyond insane.

Jim Jones People’s Temple redux.

Baxter Greene on September 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Thought the same thing and now I wonder if this is a big problem. If Obamacare fails, won’t they all drink the kool-aid?

Dusty on September 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

It’s as if leftists wake up each day axing themselves:

“Say, what can I do today that is not only profoundly stupid, but also insane and creepy?”

justltl on September 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Well, I’m calling this what it is (either a joke or silly folks fawning over him) until Obama is asked about it and responds to it. I know he has an inflated sense of himself, but this seems out of the realm of his ego.

Matticus Finch on September 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

More scary behavior. These are the kind of followers that eventually do unspeakable things in the name of their cause. Confiscating other’s property/money, okay for the righteous cause. Lies and criminal behavior, okay for the righteous cause. Jailing those who disagree, okay for the righteous cause. Eventually, terminating the lives of those who refuse to worship at the alter, okay for the righteous cause.

So far, they are only at confiscation and criminal behavior. If it continues, how long will it be before they get to imprisoning and murdering dissidents?

ClanDerson on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Count to 10 on September 29, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Having a prophesy and being a prophet is two totally different things.
A prophet has to be 100% correct…that is where these “living” prophets fail so miserably.
When confronted with their errors, they always say, “Well at the time I wasn’t prophesying”…their hasn’t been a prophet for thousands of years…they have all turned out to be charlatans.

right2bright on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Buy ammunition.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Ugh. Due diligence. I have to agree with LibTired:

They’re saying, “Oh God.”

Listen without watching the words appear on the screen.

benjamin on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

GunRunner on September 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

lol!

But who will take the part of CONAN?

I don’t know if Sarah Palin can fling the head that far….

pseudonominus on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

In retrospect, the de-institutionalization of the insane in the 1950’s was somewhat of a mistake; we are now have them living among us.

theenforser on September 29, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Um…say what?

Dark-Star on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Crusader Rabbit on September 29, 2009 at 11:16 AM

I think you have the answer…he is a religion, and the state cannot promote a religion.

right2bright on September 29, 2009 at 11:20 AM

I watched this video several times already and the more i listen to it the more it sounds like they are saying O God not Obama, there is a distinctive hard D sound at the end of the phrase each time. I have on headphones so i can hear it more clearly and IMO they say O God.

Tim-in-NJ on September 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Uh Ed you did read this from the Gamaliel Foundation website didn’t you?

Gamaliel and the Barack Obama Connection

“Gamaliel and the Barack Obama Connection
by Gregory A. Galluzzo

President elect Barack Obama has throughout his political career made repeated references to his time as a community organizer on the South Side of Chicago. It is important that we all understand the connection between Barack and Gamaliel. In l980 Mary Gonzales and I created the United Neighborhood Organization of Chicago.

In l982 we decided that we needed some expertise from someone who had done faith based community organizing. A person who had worked as such an organizer in Illinois and in Pennsylvania approached me about joining our organizing team. His name was Jerry Kellman. Jerry helped Mary and myself become better organizers. While he was working for us, he connected with a group called the Calumet Community Religious Conference (CCRC) operating on the South Side in the South Suburbs of Chicago, and in Indiana. CCRC had been formed in response to the massive shut down of major industry and the resulting job loss and all of the concomitant social tragedies.

Jerry and I reached an understanding that we would support his work in the South Suburbs so that he could become director of his own project. It was Jerry Kellman who put an ad in the New York Times about an organizing position in the Chicago area. Barack responded; Jerry interviewed him and offered him a position. Barack accepted. Almost at this very time, Jerry propositioned an old friend of his to return to Chicago from Texas and work with him in this new organizing venture. His friend was Mike Kruglik. Mike and Jerry were the first mentors of Barack in organizing.

CCRC, which spanned communities in Northwest Indiana, the South Suburbs and parts of the City of Chicago proved to be unwieldy. Jerry and I decided to split it into three parts. Barack would work to found a new independent project in the South side of Chicago, Mike Kruglik would be the director of the South Suburban Action Conference and Jerry Kellman would develop organizing in Northwest Indiana. At that point Jerry asked me to become Barack’s consultant.

And at this time we were just creating the Gamaliel Foundation. I met with Barack on a regular basis as he incorporated the Developing Communities Project, as he moved the organization into action and as he developed the leadership structure for the organization. He would write beautiful and brilliant weekly reports about his work and the people he was engaging.

When Barack decided to go to Harvard Law School, he approached John McKnight, a professor at Northwestern and a Gamaliel Board member for a letter of recommendation. When Barack was leaving he made sure that Gamaliel was the formal consultant to the organization that he had created and to the staff that he had hired.

Barack has acknowledged publicly that he had been the director of a Gamaliel affiliate. He has supported Gamaliel throughout the years by conducting training both at the National Leadership Training events and at the African American Leadership Commission. He has also attended our public meetings.

We are honored and blessed by the connection between Barack and Gamaliel.”

They are basically saying they made him.

batterup on September 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

They’re saying “Oh God”, not “Obama”.

LibTired on September 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM

You know, I think you’re right. Its hard to tell exactly what they are saying, but it sounds more like “Oh God” than “Obama”.
Which doesn’t make it any less creepy to me, but your millage may vary.

Count to 10 on September 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Buy ammunition.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 29, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Know where I can score sone good 5.56?

pseudonominus on September 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Pagans
man made objects of worship

seven on September 29, 2009 at 11:21 AM

OBAMA FOR GOD EMPEROR!!!!

sonofdy on September 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

A terrible video on so many levels. I am sad for these followers and for this country for the ‘leadership’ these folks mindlessly elected. One could not make a more vivid live demonstration of the Church of Liberalism.

As to the slogan ‘everybody in, nobody out’ I want to get off that train. Count me out.

clorensen on September 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The only Liberals I know of are those of Set and his cursed towers. Their evil has spread to every city. Two or three years ago it was just another Liberal cult, now… they’re everywhere. It is said that they are deceivers… they murder people in the night… I know nothing.

GunRunner on September 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The first thing I thought of? Xerxes the GodKing. Or perhaps Nero–wasn’t he also a “God?” The roman emporers were deified during their lifetimes, many of them. Some didn’t like it, e.g. the one who asked how he was supposed to cure some poor peasants goat. But some more than loved it.

Now, who does Obama remind you of? Nero or Augustine?

Vanceone on September 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Oh, and if they don’t drink the kool-aid won’t they fit in somewhere as apostates, betrayers, traitors, turncoats, non-believers ….

ohh, Obama-skeptic …

Dusty on September 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I wonder if any of those in the religious, social-justice crowd (say, Jim Wallis of Soujourners) have seen this kind of sacrilege. On the other hand, it may be a waste of time to inquire–they’re probably in the crowd.

BuckeyeSam on September 29, 2009 at 11:22 AM

There is no god but Bambi
and Martin was his prophet

SaintGeorgeGentile on September 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Ed should post a retraction.

benjamin on September 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

They are not saying “Oh God” and I tried really hard to hear it that way.

sammypants on September 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Dusty on September 29, 2009 at 11:18 AM

With any luck, yea.

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

see what drinking koolaid by the gallon will do to you….

SHARPTOOTH on September 29, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Par for the course for the O-Bots.

Not surprised at all. Not one little bit.

Yakko77 on September 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM