Video: Community organizers pray to their new deity, or something; Update: Or do they? Update: Poll added

posted at 10:55 am on September 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’m tempted to make fun of this, but the First Mate was absolutely aghast at the idol-worship connotations of this video. The Gamaliel Foundation is a community-organizing group that acts as the ground troops for Barack Obama’s domestic policies, especially health-care reform. Anyone who has spent any time in church will recognize the worship cadence of this clip, which puts Obama in the place of the Lord in prayer:

A couple of points: This video came from last December, not recently, which means that the lunacy preceded the current debate over ObamaCare. This was at the tail end of the Democrats’ campaign attempt to cast their agenda in religious terms of social justice, although they have certainly picked up that effort again over the summer. If anything, it reminds people of just how bad Democrats and left-wing groups are at this kind of campaign. No one there seems to realize how shocking and sacreligious this will sound to actual churchgoers, who will rightly recoil at the worship of Obama as an idol in place of the actual Deity.

Update: I wonder what all of those on the Left who made fun of the Christian kids in Jesus Camp have to say about this.  I’m guessing that we’re going to hear the sound of one hand clapping.

Update II: Or do they?  After a couple of repetitions, I’m not sure if they’re saying “Obama” or “Oh God”.  Sounds like “Obama”, and my wife — who is blind and couldn’t read the captions — immediately heard “Obama” when I played it for her.  I’m not sure which it is, but it could be “Oh God” with poor acoustics.

Update III: The Jesus Camp question pertains either way, though.

Update IV: It does sound more like “Obama” in the “Deliver us” part.  I’m really not sure.

Update V: Let’s add a poll and see what everyone thinks:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

you can here the g-s all along. don’t be ridiculous, people. you’re redefining stupid again.

sesquipedalian on September 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

hear, i mean

sesquipedalian on September 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

They are clearly calling “on the name of Obama” and not “God”.

It’s utter blasphemy but first it’s a waste of airspace. Obama’s not Omnipotent, not Divine, but God is and the rest of us lay our prayers at the feet of the Almighty, who is God, not Obama.

Lourdes on September 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

It may help to listen with your eyes closed. I think it starts with “Oh God” and ends with a mix or just “Obama” at the end. Particularly since they go from referencing the Bible to referencing Obama’s health care agenda.

Blue Collar Todd on September 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM

“God” is one syllable. I’m not hearing one syllable. I’m hearing three. Sounds like Obama to me.

atheling on September 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

It’s both, but whoever is shouting “Obama” seems to be in the clear minority–though closer to the microphone than others.

cackcon on September 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I’ve just watched this after reading about it all day on my Blackberry and not being able to view the video. They are definitely saying “Obama.” I have pretty focused hearing skills which come from hundreds of hours of transcribing guitar parts from often less than perfect recordings – and I can quite clearly hear a “b” and two syllables after the “Oh,” the last one being an “a.”

Those who have said they’re maybe chanting “God” or “Lord” really need to take the cotton out of their ears.

Sharke on September 29, 2009 at 7:32 PM

LOL! Ogabe is their savior! That’s so pathetic … these poor uneducated people!!

What I’m really fearful of here is that – with all the idol worship and creepiness surrounding the election of our first Black President – I’m concerned that Americans will be less likely to vote for a QUALIFIED Black president in the future because of it.

HondaV65 on September 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

sesquipedalian on September 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM

LOL! I think you’re outvoted by people who have ears!

HondaV65 on September 29, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Most of these geniuses are singing / shouting “Obama” with a few “Gods” tossed in

so they’re only MOSTLY idol worshippers……

Janos Hunyadi on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Well, folks, there is someone coming who will proclaim himself to be God, and demand worship from all. This does not surprise me at all. Better get right with the real deal before you’re forced with a choice to worship the fake one.

jdawg on September 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

So now, in this New World Order with Dear Leader, MLK Jr. rises to prophet status? Don’t they know he was a Republican?

InTheBellyoftheBeast on September 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

HondaV65 on September 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

You assume there will be a future – I’m not entirely convinced.

jdawg on September 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

It’s only a matter of time before someone compares him to Lennon. You know, like Bill Clinton and Sonny Rollins :)

Sharke on September 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

How very sad that these people have such limited vision as to put their faith in any man, much less this one. And at the risk of sounding naive; Shame on the “religious” leaders who officiated.

InTheBellyoftheBeast on September 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

I am ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that they are saying Oh God.

Sorry, but this one is not out of line.

Thank goodness.

therightscoop on September 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Ok…I will try to be fair.

I hear “God” and “Obama” but I think they say “God” more than “Obama”.

azcop on September 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

they NEVER say Obama. Close your eyes and listen to it. It’s 2 syllables. OH GOD.

Not 3.

therightscoop on September 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Here’s an intriguing article from September 2008. Note well the connection between Obama, Gamaliel and a radical Alinsky-ite named John L. McKnight:

BardMan on September 29, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Whoops, let’s try that again:

BardMan on September 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

hear, i mean

sesquipedalian on September 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Stupid

CWforFreedom on September 29, 2009 at 9:07 PM

sesquipedalian on September 29, 2009

Must kill ya that the dems are mixing religion and politics

CWforFreedom on September 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Some people need to consult an audiologist.

corona on September 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I’ll start to get nervous when Obama says:

Thou shalt have no other Gods before Me.

In the meantime…

“From mindless people, videoed in all their silliness”
response: “Deliver us oh Morrissey”

Danzo on September 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Yeah… I listened to it again… the titling did influence me… they are saying “Oh God.”

Okay, no need to keep this survey going. I have spoken.

Danzo on September 29, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Obama’s cult of personality is way out of control. Somebody is going to have to prove that Obama takes a dump from time to time.

BottomLine5 on September 29, 2009 at 9:55 PM

When I first listened, I heard Obama until the end when I heard God. Then, after listening again, I couldn’t tell. It seemed I was hearing both. Today, who the heck knows. I’m not surprised by anything.

I wouldn’t be surprised to start seeing sacrifices in some of these temples! Temples to Obama! What would be a good sacrifice to the one?? I wonder.

JellyToast on September 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM

In most of the instances in the clip it sounds like “Obama”. Even we southerners can’t drag a one-syllable word into a three-syllable one. Either way, it’s a rather unseemly mixing of religion and politics, wouldn’t ya think? I mean, especially coming from those who despised the likes of Falwell.

ddrintn on September 29, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I don’t know how some of you can hear three “distinct” syllables during a garbled up not so perfectly timed chant by a large amount of people. Anytime you have dozens of people saying the same words or phrase on cue; the timing, intonation, and articulation is hardly crisp enough to separate syllables. It seems to me that “Oh God” is the more likely answer. Then again, in these times of lunacy, who really knows?

anuts on September 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Someone should simply ask these folks what they were saying. If they did say it in the forum they were in, they would clearly be proud of it and freely admit it.

After listening several times, it sounds like they are saying both.

“Here our cry, Obama”

“Here us Oh God”

csdeven on September 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM

My wife says the other prayer is “Delivery us Oh God” and the first she agrees is “Here our cry, Obama”.

csdeven on September 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM

After cranking the bass up, it sounds like both phrases end with “Oh God”.

And that is what I am going to believe because I am not ready to absorb that kind of Obama worship just yet.

csdeven on September 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM

They’re calling MLK, Jr. a prophet here, so the context is putting Obama in some kind of spiritual messianic mode. In addition, the crowd is chanting with 3 syllables. So, yeah, it’s Obama. Even the guy who hears “Excuse me while I kiss this guy!” by Hendrix can hear this is a chant to Obama.

Nethicus on September 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM

Oh God. that’s what they’re saying.

Me, too.

Oh God. Deliver us from Obama!

unmeritedfavor on September 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Maybe they’re saying Gadda….like the song In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida. That, or it’s something else that ends in an “a”…

redwhiteblue on September 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I’m inclined to believe that they are saying “Oh God”, and that they are not foolishly praying to Obama. But a few things would make me believe otherwise: They are bringing their political agenda into God’s house and causing quite a ruckus, they are clearly very far left, they say “the prophet MLK Jr.”, and it’s a female minister.

YoungAmerican on September 30, 2009 at 1:07 AM

5 updates, Ed? Seriously? I think you’re losing it, dude. I’ve got one question for you that should un-stop your ears and clear up your confusion… After witnessing the fee-mail priestess, the SEIU-style caps, and the marxist violin-playing for the proletariat (obvious triple-syllables aside), do you really, TRULY, honestly, believe that this group would be invoking the name of God as the answer to their grievances?

That’s like listening to Obama talk about health care and saying, “gee, I could have sworn he said ‘government’, but it sounded like ‘choice and competition’.” Don’t let the words fool you. The person saying the words is the message. If you can’t tell if you heard “government” or “choice and competition”, look at the messenger to break the tie.

trace_9r on September 30, 2009 at 5:16 AM

In the book of Revelation, it says that the anti-christ will be called the “messiah” and people will worship him.

Ya’ll better make your peace with the Lord today!

badcrow on September 30, 2009 at 6:00 AM

Saudi Prince attacked by al Qaeda community organized anal bomber. Taking anal retentive to the extreme, the trojan anal al Qaeda bomber.

by Sheila MacVicar, CBS News

Taking a trick from the narcotics trade – which has long smuggled drugs in body cavities – Asieri had a pound of high explosives, plus a detonator inserted in his rectum. This was a meticulously planned operation with al Qaeda. The blast left the prince lightly wounded – a failure as an assassination, but as an exercise in defeating security, it was perfect. And al Qaeda says it will share its new technique via the Internet very soon.

“This is the nightmare scenario,” said Chris Yates, an aviation security consultant. On a plane at altitude, the effects of such a bomb could be catastrophic. And there is no current security system that could stop it.

“Absolutely nothing other than to require people to strip naked at the airport,” said Yates.

1. Stripping still won’t expose what’s hiding inside.
2. X-ray imagery would expose what’s inside.
3. Would trained dogs be able to sniff what’s inside?

maverick muse on September 30, 2009 at 6:56 AM

It is a normal liturgical form of response (with crazy a crazy social-gospel bent) and they are are saying Oh, God. Your poll is reflecting the crazier side of the political divide.

al sends

afterdarknesslight on September 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM

I believe they are saying ‘Obama’
I have never heard a liberal call out to God for anything until they were on their deathbeds.

ZeeMI on September 30, 2009 at 9:05 AM

csdeven on September 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM

That is exactly what I said earlier. Well not really. What I said was that I wondered if there were folks that just couldn’t accept that people would pray to BO. Such worship goes against everything most religious people were taught and smacks way to much of the Anti-Christ legends and many Christians just can not accept it is happening. We have to believe they are saying “O God” because, as you say the alternative is just to much to absorb.

RagTag on September 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM

2. X-ray imagery would expose what’s inside.
3. Would trained dogs be able to sniff what’s inside?

maverick muse on September 30, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Off topic?
Anyway, why wouldn’t X-Ray pick up the detonator and wires?

RagTag on September 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Not to worry Ed…

Plenty of other tried and true sites fell for Breitbart’s original version; before he rained on your parade.

Heck… I never got half the words right in the “Jody chants” when we were double timing during physical training.

You’ll have better days!

Geezer on September 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I’m late to this thread and no one will see this but…
I’m going with the theory that before this meeting someone asked “what if I don’t want to pray to god” and the answer was “then ask Obama” and it just happens the camera is close enough to pick up that line.

Gwillie on September 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM

As much as I detest what these people stand for, it sounds like “Oh, God” to me, not “Obama.”

We are in great danger of looking silly.

WannabeAnglican on September 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM

“We are in great danger of looking silly. WannabeAnglican on September 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM”

Just “silly”, you say?

Lord a’mighty…

‘Anglican, that’s gotta be a top contender for; “The understatement of the year Award”…!

Geezer on September 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM

I think the idolization of a politician is simply a symptom that we are just like regular people. We need faith in something bigger than ourselves.

AnninCA on September 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Hey the poll needs a choice of “Dont know because i refuse to watch douche bags”

Greed on September 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

This is truely scary! They have hoisted the “annointed one” (tounge in cheek) B. Hussein Obama to almost a religious deity status. The brain washed, blind followers, and kool-aid drinkers treat this guy as a religious icon! This reminds me of the current and past dictators of the world. Remember we are not to have any false gods. These idoliters have no idea just how crazy scary this really is….I pray to God for hope and that these people may see the light and that Obama is NOT it!!

shawno on September 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM