Glenn Beck: You know what’s killing America? Godlessness

posted at 7:40 pm on September 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Give him credit for consistency: The second “core principle” of the 9/12 Project is, after all, “I believe in God and He is the center of my life.” I complained about that not long ago and a bunch of Beck fans jumped in to remind me that he’s said one needn’t believe in all the “core principles” to be part of the movement. No? Watch this clip and tell me how optional you think the God principle is in his mind.

I take his point about some liberal atheists filling the spiritual void with belief in government — it’s a pet peeve of an evangelical Democrat friend of mine, in fact — but (a) it’s not true of all nonbelievers, especially of the conservative stripe, and (b) personally, if I were inclined to get on my knees and wish/hope/pray for intervention from either God or Barack Obama, I’d call out for The One too. After all, there’s at least a chance he might show. I don’t get the either/or dichotomy Beck draws between social justice and eternal justice either; for starters, I can imagine Martin Luther King objecting rather strenuously to that. Nor do I understand the snotty, presumptuous accusation that atheists are “filling the void” with money and careers. Personally, I don’t feel any spiritual void, and even if I did, I’d rather not be lectured about it by a guy who has his own media empire and who’ll make more money this year than my entire extended family has made in the past century. What “void” in Beck’s soul is he filling with his fantastically popular show? See how condescending it is to even ask that?

And one more thing. If the key to American governance is the passage in the Declaration of Independence about god-given inalienable rights, why’d the authors of the Constitution go ahead and enumerate some of those rights anyway? And why, if they’re inalienable and god-given, weren’t those rights made exempt from amendment or repeal via Article V? The touchstone of the Constitution isn’t God, it’s rule by popular consent; religion may well influence the public in deciding which rights are so critical that even the popularly elected government should be forbidden to touch them, but when push comes to shove, it’s your call, not God’s. Slavery was once a right too, after all, and I’m sure there were plenty of apologists who found religious backing for that, fair or not.

Exit question: Why does he keep pushing the argument that his show isn’t about Democrat vs. Republican? That’s true, strictly speaking — he’s a libertarian, not a party apparatchik — but the Dems have been the party of big(ger) government for the past 40 years, at least. They’re antithetical to his philosophy. Saying his show has, or should have, no partisan resonance is like Janeane Garofalo insisting that she’s not about Dems or Repubs, just “truth.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 13

I missed Glenn at 1700; will watch at 0200…

Khun Joe on September 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Troll.

YYZ on September 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

You know what’s killing America? Godlessness AllahPundit!!!!#3%$!@^%

LOL. Oh Allah, I hope you don’t take all these posts personally. I need Beer.

portlandon on September 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

At this point, I think it’s stupidity vs. non stupidity.

HornetSting on September 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

some liberal atheists filling the spiritual void with belief in government

Liberals looking to government for everything in life? Hmmm, I have to think about that for a while.

exception on September 29, 2009 at 7:43 PM

A million posts or bust.

Food fight!

Knucklehead on September 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Beck is more right than wrong here.

It is the bedrock institutions of western civilization: family, church, and school that make a representative democracy and a free market economy possible. With broken families, government schools run by left wing ideologues and churches reduced to yet another form of entertainment or group therapy (for those who even still attend) you will never be able to maintain limited government. Because people will look to government to do everything these institutions can no longer do or equip us to do for ourselves. This is why conservatism doesn’t sell in the inner cities for example. These institutions have crumbled. You can’t separate the social and the economic. They are inextricably linked.

To be a conservative is to be about “conserving” something. What are we trying to conserve? Western civilization. The American Constitution. Ordered liberty. The civil society. To think that you can have a society vote for a libertarian economic agenda if they grow up in broken homes, attend schools where they’re not taught critical thinking or civics or real American history and breathe in a new ‘spirituality’ that says morality is relative along with everything else …..well that’s just as utopian as any left wing radical. It won’t work for the same reason communism won’t work. HUMAN NATURE.

Without social conservatism you can’t ever hope to achieve the economic and fiscal goals of the Right in the long run. To quote George Washington, “Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports”. And John Adams, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other”.

D0WNT0WN on September 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

…and the windmill didn’t even notice.

Jim Treacher on September 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

For every sane atheist like Allah, there are about 200 nutcases who worship Progress.

mesquito on September 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Liberals are Godless!!

They worship at the Alter of Liberalism!!

canopfor on September 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Meh

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

So your saying that Beck’s preference of Obama over McCain is less valid than your preference of Obama over God? Cool.

Weight of Glory on September 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

If they succeed in establishing religion as a basic Republican Party tenet, they could do us in. When you say ‘radical right’ today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Glenn Beck [updated] and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.

Well, I’ve spent quite a number of years carrying the flag of the ‘Old Conservatism.’ And I can say with conviction that the religious issues of these groups have little or nothing to do with conservative or liberal politics. The uncompromising position of these groups is a divisive element that could tear apart the very spirit of our representative system, if they gain sufficient strength. Being a conservative in America traditionally has meant that one holds a deep, abiding respect for the Constitution. We conservatives believe sincerely in the integrity of the Constitution. We treasure the freedoms that document protects. By maintaining the separation of church and state, the United States has avoided the intolerance which has so divided the rest of the world with religious wars. Can any of us refute the wisdom of Madison and the other framers?

The religious factions will go on imposing their will on others, less the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternatives. We have succeeded for over 200 years in keeping the affairs of state separate from the uncompromising idealism of religious groups and we mustn’t stop now. To retreat from that separation would violate the principles of conservatism and the values upon which the framers built this democratic republic.

Ever good Christian should line up and kick Glenn Beck [updated] right in the ass.
- Barry Goldwater

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

No one is right 100% of the time. However, he should have elaborated on the lack of parenting skills after showing the viral video of the young Chicago honor student being pounded to death. His void is in the reasoning that believing in God will improve your parenting skills I suppose.

He might have alsom mentioned that most of the corrupt officials in Chicago that are at least partially responsible for the rampant crime there go to church every Sunday.

Griz on September 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Okay, we get it. You’ll get a lot of posts. But b-o-r-i-n-g.

obladioblada on September 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

So, AP, you equate your Nemesis Beck to Garofalo.

Yeah, that’s fair and accurate.

actually it’s a clumsy and totally inaccurate comparison.

jealousy is a Terrible Master, man

Janos Hunyadi on September 29, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Allahpundit can be translated to mean Godpundit or Yahwehpundit or Jehovahpundit. I find it interesting that a non-believer would want to be known as Allah-anything.

Sweetness0726 on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Nostradamus predicted that the Anti-Christ’s name would be Ben Gleck. hmmmmm?

ronsfi on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I’m killing America!

If only I was more like Gamaliel foundation people…

Now that’s America’s future. We just need to merge religion and politics.

jhffmn on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Allahpundit is a sikrit Muslin

Apologetic California on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Okay, we get it. You’ll get a lot of posts.

It’s not about traffic. Don’t be so cynical. It’s about one of the most influential guys on the right demagoging nonbelievers and floating garbage theories about where rights come from. If other blogs want to let him slide, fine. I won’t.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

How’s the great childless experiment going in largely atheist, liberal Europe? What year is the whole continent expected to have implemented Shariah? 2030?

Yup, that’s a great success there.

theCork on September 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

A good read is Father Jonathon’s piece:

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I have to agree. There’s no group more evangelistic, judgmental & dictatorial these days than Atheists.

Bonus question….is a conservative website the best place to air petty atheist grievances?

DwnSouthJukin on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Excellent comments by D0WNT0WN; I agree 100%

beachgirlusa on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Allahpundit on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Yeah, yeah. Whatever.

HornetSting on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Beck started this discussion after the video of the gang killing in Chicago.

my husband sees criminals much like these gang killers every day in his courtroom. i asked him what caused people to act this way: poverty, drugs, lack of raising.

putting God (just plain old God; just some plain old regular pedestrian church) back into society would better the raising, and the raising might keep some of these people off drugs.

as for the poverty, bambi will fix that.

kelley in virginia on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

No. Not Godlessness. Hostility to Jews and Christians (and their traditions) is very bad for our society. As a non-religious person, I am still outraged at the treatment Jews and Christians get from the left in this country.

And another thing– Would Glenn Beck approve of a Godly Muslim America? This is at odds with his assertion…

Meanwhile, criticism of Islam is largely forbidden on the Left. Paradoxical, no? Also very dangerous, bordering on suicidal.

Bat Chain Puller on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Shouldn’t this be posted over at LGF?

Drill_Thrawl on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

If there’s one way to gain power in America, it’s to make a point of your atheism.

Jim Treacher on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

AP has thin skin when it comes to the atheist thing.

apoole on September 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Allahpundit, as a guy who believes in God, I’m with you on most everything else here. Even if you argue that the Founders were talking about God-given rights, whether or not you have them is not conditional on whether you BELIEVE in God. The Constitution’s about self-governance.

George Will and Charles Krauthammer are perfectly good conservatives who also don’t believe in God. The religious issue is separate and doesn’t really belong in this political debate.

warrenmr on September 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

If Beck = Garafalo

Then AP = Andrew Sullivan

entropent on September 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Allahpundit on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I’ll admit that I haven’t followed Beck comments. The fact that he’s right about a lot of things doesn’t diminish the fact that he’s unhinged. I acknowledge that others disagree with me and that I’ve now contributed to a conversation in which I want no further involvement.

obladioblada on September 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Love ya, Allah.

But that natural desire for freedom you and I have didn’t just evolve by some natural selection process.

It was born in us. And all living beings.

By magic or by God.

I don’t believe in magic. Do you?

TXUS on September 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

AP has thin skin when it comes to the atheist thing.

apoole on September 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Seems to be more thin skin here than just AP’s.

exception on September 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

DwnSouthJukin on September 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I so disagree with that. It’s the Fundamentalist/Evangelicals for the most part who are those things. Most atheists I know are nothing of that light.

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

What year is the whole continent expected to have implemented Shariah? 2030?

theCork on September 29, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I, or rather the Lord, beseech you as Christ’s heralds to publish this everywhere and to persuade all people of whatever rank, foot-soldiers and knights, poor and rich, to carry aid promptly to those Christians and to destroy that vile race from the lands of our friends. I say this to those who are present, it is meant also for those who are absent. Moreover, Christ commands it.
- Pope Urban II

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

AP has thin skin when it comes to the atheist thing.
apoole on September 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

FIFY

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

You apparently didn’t follow the Kirk Cameron Thread, did you?

kingsjester on September 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Allahpundit on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Its a garbage theory to say our Right’s are “Endowed by Our Creator”?

I think you need to do some reading.

DwnSouthJukin on September 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

That’s true, strictly speaking — he’s a libertarian, not a party apparatchik…

Great. It wasn’t enough for the Democrats and Republicans to blur the lines between church and state. Now libertarians are doing it, too.

RightOFLeft on September 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Most atheists I know are nothing of that light.

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

What? You joined a focus group or something?

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I would say we have lost our moral compass. Atheists can have a moral compass. We have to have some set of morals that are common. That has usually meant a Christian-Judeo set of standards in this country. Can you be atheist and still believe in Christian-Judeo moral standards?

WyoMike on September 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

You apparently didn’t follow the Kirk Cameron Thread, did you?

kingsjester on September 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I did.

And case in point, it was Cameron and those two nutballs who produced it who were nothing BUT judgmental and accusatory. People responded.

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Spectacular. AP. Absolutely spectacular.

Proud Rino on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

What happened before the big bang?

Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Allahpundit on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Come on, allah. You know better than that (you should, at least).

Here is some John Adams for you:

“The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were…the general principles of Christianity…I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God; and that those principles of liberty are as unalterable as human nature.”

“It is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand. Religion and virtue are the only foundations…of republicanism and of all free governments.”

There needs to be a moral foundation to society in order for it to sustain itself and grow. This foundation does not have to be enshrined in the law, since it is deeper than law, but it must exist. Otherwise, the greatest and best designed republic is like a beautiful building set on shifting sands.

This is really not complicated stuff. Sort of common sense, really.

progressoverpeace on September 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Although AP may indeed be sane…

Since the declaration of independence states that our rights come from God, do atheists actually have any rights?

crashland on September 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

People responded.
JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

That’s who I was speaking about.

kingsjester on September 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

‘garbage theories’ ?

Harsh, Mr. Levy, very harsh.

is Back any more of a Ratings Whore than……..you?

Janos Hunyadi on September 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

That’s true, strictly speaking — he’s a libertarian, not a party apparatchik

Goldwater was a libertarian (and CONSERVATIVE) and he would have his shoe planted up Beck’s ass by now.

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Can you be atheist and still believe in Christian-Judeo moral standards?

WyoMike on September 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

There is more variation of moral standards between various Christians than between Christians and atheists.

exception on September 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

What happened before the big bang?

Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

The Big Crunch.

Drill_Thrawl on September 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Weight of Glory on September 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Nailed it. Allahpundit is more comfortable with the Left, whom he sees as mere idiots, than with the right, whom he sees as possibly dangerous. If he had to chose between the two, it would be no contest.

keep the change on September 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

that bitter feeling (a.k.a. being demagogue’d) that atheists feel incessantly? that would be due to lack of faith.

Ris4victory on September 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM

…which illustrates that AP doesn’t understand religious faith well enough to criticize it usefully – like most atheists.

I personally don’t accept that faith is about a divine instrumentality that can be invoked like a computer program or wielded like a wrench. It’s not God-cash that you can spend on a new IPOD. It would dwell within you (or not), not appear before you (“show up”) when you summon it like a servant. That would be the devil you’re looking for, who will show up in form or another, and may indeed seem to offer a solution for your problem.

CK MacLeod on September 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM

This is very interesting. Frank Luntz recently appeared on Bill Maher’s show. He asked the audience how many believed in God. There were a few scattered claps. Then, he asked how many did not believe in God. There was a standing o.
I guess Glenn Beck is right as always.

mobydutch on September 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM

- Pope Urban II
MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

What’s your point? That happened after 2/3rds of Christiandom had been lost. The West no longer has the will to fight for its own survival, so there’s no danger of a new crusade. We’ll go quietly ’til the end.

theCork on September 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM

He’s wrong. What’s killing America is leftists.

johnsteele on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

mesquito on September 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Hey! I worship Progress (or at least hold it as the most important value). That comes from Judaism, which is built for progress and development, and Western civilization which is oriented around progress (as opposed to eastern cutlures that value stability above all).

progressoverpeace on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

What happened before the big bang?

Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

What was your favorite color before you were born? At this point, it’s not even an intelligible question. I don’t mean that in a perjorative sense; it just can’t be answered and may never be answered.

RightOFLeft on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Spectacular. AP. Absolutely spectacular.

Proud Rino on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Ouch. That’s gotta hurt.

Jim Treacher on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Here ya go Allah, supposedly said by Critias, a member of Greece’s Thirty Tyrants:

“religion was a deliberate imposture devised by some cunning man for political ends.”

Tom

marinetbryant on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

crashland on September 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

It says “Creator” not “God” and it would not be much of a “God” if it took a government to secure these rights and the governed had to consent.

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

What happened before the big bang?

Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

THE BIG WEE WEE’D up period

Ris4victory on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Okay, we get it. You’ll get a lot of posts.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Except for one problem: Beck is right. So you’re really refusing to “let him slide” for something that isn’t even wrong.

I think Ann Coulter has a book on almost that exact subject: Godless. It was also an opinion widely shared among the founding fathers.

Practically speaking, I’m not sure what anyone is going to do about, though. You’re certainly not going to get a lot of Christians agitating for censorship of atheism/agnosticism. Even though atheism/agnosticism is a net negative for our country, religious freedom is a far greater positive.

For the record, agreeing with the core of Beck’s message here does not commit me to agreeing with every word or point he makes.

tom on September 29, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Simple minded dolts like Whoopi on the VIEW are slobbering all over themselves defending the likes of PEDOPHILE CHILD RAPIST Roman Polanski. She, and her sick liberal ilk, are endemic of what’s gone terribly wrong in this country with all its “progressive” liberal “thinkers”. Godless …. no morals …. no values …. no consequences for vile behavior. Moral relativism and “hey, if it feels good …. DO IT!” are the “spiritual” forces guiding these degenerates. Floods? Plague? Locusts? Famine? We’ll see what the Creator has in mind for California’s sickos.

bannedbyhuffpo on September 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Awww, can poke people in the eye about religion but can’t take it when someone pokes back, eh? I don’t agree with him all the time, but it’s refreshing to hear someone on tv say something a lot of people actually think (if not a majority then surely a large chunk?). Yes, I’m biased because I’m religious or try to be as best I can, I’m not perfect but none of us are.

roopster217 on September 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM

C’mon, AP, git yer snake-handlin’ on. Once yew git bit, yew cain’t quit!

Christien on September 29, 2009 at 8:08 PM

crashland on September 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Hence it happened that all the armed prophets conquered, all the unarmed perished.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

hm

blatantblue on September 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Troll.

YYZ on September 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Me? You don’t know me very well…

BTW, how are things up in Toronto?

Khun Joe on September 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

I tend to agree with Beck about God. I’m not a holy roller, but statistics regarding family, divorce, etc. tend to favor people with spiritual connections. There are always exceptions, but I do think this world would be a better place with a little more spirituality and a little less secularism.

alwaysright43 on September 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

That’s a winner. How intentionally obtuse do you have to be to miss that “Creator” means “God”? Even those who wrongly insist that the founders were largely “deists” don’t propose such nonsense.

TexasDan on September 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

It’s certainly killing LGF.

Bill C on September 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

mobydutch on September 29, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Bill Maher’s audience? Ask how many of them hate the U.S., how many voted for obama, how many of them think Israel should be wiped off the face of the Earth?
Consider the crap filled source.

HornetSting on September 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Yawn.

ElectricPhase on September 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Allahpundit totally missed the point, as he usually does with Glenn Beck. Christianity is under attack in the U.S., by atheist leftists who are so afraid of Christianity that murder abortion protesters, burn churches and attack religious holidays with the fervor of NAZIs.
The point Beck was trying to make wasn’t so much in religion, or even God but MORALS and INTEGRITY, which is something that religion is supposed to be teaching.
Thus we get progressive rulings in the SCOTUS that totally violate the Constitution, such as Everson V Board of Education and those opinions are written by people such as Hugo Black, an ADMITTED KKK and Anti-Catholic League member.
We also get progressive propaganda taught in PUBLIC SCHOOLS, that our Founding Fathers were atheists, rich white racists and other lies. If Jefferson was an atheist, fine, but the TRUTH is Jefferson WASN’T an atheist. Back to the subject of MORALS and INTEGRITY, it’s just not worth lying about.

nelsonknows on September 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Does your brain cell ever get lonely in there?

Jim Treacher on September 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Exit question: Why does he keep pushing the argument that his show isn’t about Democrat vs. Republican? That’s true, strictly speaking — he’s a libertarian, not a party apparatchik.

That is just Beck’s little gimmick to say he is “Libertarian”. Beck is more Republican than Sean Hannity.

Decider on September 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

TexasDan on September 29, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Y’all are confusing the Declaration with the Constitution. The Declaration mentions “God” four times.

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM

There is godlessness rampant in America. We’re taking God out of schools, songs, holidays, etc.
Ann Coulter made this point. God & religion brings foundation and morals to people.
Ap and S.E. Cupp are exceptions because they are conservative. They know what is right and wrong. Does AP agree with taking God out of the pledge of allegiance or out of the holidays? I don’t think so.
Liberals are not so smart. I mean, now they are worshipping Obama because they don’t want to embarrass themselves and be like the Christians from the right, but they know in their hearts, God does exist.

cubachi on September 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM

I don’t see how religious conservatives claim to love the constitution when they want to change it to support their ideals.

“[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it’s a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that’s what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than try to change God’s standards,” Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.
Huckabee

disillusioned on September 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM

How often does the Constitution or the Declaration mention Jesus Christ?

Proud Rino on September 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Y’all have at it. This is silly and counterproductive.

There’re some actual issues out there, people. This isn’t one of them to this bitter clingin’ hillbilly.

hillbillyjim on September 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

What happened before the big bang?

Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

- take your pick -

Big bangs had smaller bangs before ‘em, and those smaller bangs had lesser bangs, and so ad infinitum, and the big bangs themselves, in turn, have bigger bangs to bring on, while these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

- or -

Big Gods had smaller Gods before ‘em, and those smaller Gods had lesser Gods, and so ad infinitum, and the big Gods themselves, in turn, have bigger Gods to bring on, while these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

MB4 on September 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM

JetBoy on September 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM

How often does the Constitution or the Declaration mention Jesus Christ?

Proud Rino on September 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Jesus IS God….the holy trinity??? Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Ris4victory on September 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Jesus IS God….the holy trinity??? Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Ris4victory on September 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM

How often does the Constitution or the Declaration mention the holy trinity?

Proud Rino on September 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

What happened before the big bang?
Joe Caps on September 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

In theoritical physics or may it’s more the domain of cosmology: There exists Membranes and Bulk – our universe floats in the Bulk of one Membrane. The big bang is irrelevant. G-d may be between the Membranes…

Friendly21 on September 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

HornetSting, You are exactly right. It is scarey to think that his audience would have any credibility. It was and continues to be a crap filled source. Thank God!!

mobydutch on September 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM

All Beck seems to be getting at is the basic tenants of Christianity. We are all sinners who are seperated from God and only by repenting and accepting Jesus as our Savior can that void ever be filled.
I’m sorry you find that condescending, but it’s not like Beck is saying something super shocking considering his faith.

I’m not up for some grand theocracy either, but I get where Beck is coming from.

BakerAllie on September 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Let me make this simple………..as a parent, I would not hesitate to leave my little kids with Glenn Beck and his family. Not blink an eye. I wouldn’t leave my kids with Obama and his wife if my house burned down and locusts invaded my land. They’re trash people. Period. Glenn Beck is a family man. A God fearing man. God bless him and God bless his family. And God bless America.

Cinday Blackburn on September 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

And Jewish leftists, and Christian leftists, and leftists. That’s the only relevent idetifier. Atheist conservatives aren’t. Fear that conservative Christians are going to start bombing all the women’s clinics and gay bars is coming from the left, not from the atheists.

exception on September 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

There is another dead child from the same Oregon City faith-healing congregation. Let’s see what the local atheists do about it.

Christien on September 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Y’all have at it. This is silly and counterproductive.

hillbillyjim on September 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

No, no, no!!! Allahpundit is right. This is the most important issue for all of you now and for the next 7 years at least.

You are getting sleepy. Very sleepy. You never heard of any acorns. You never heard of SEIC. You have no children. You are getting sleepy. Very sleepy.

DasObamaReich on September 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Y’all have at it. This is silly and counterproductive.

hillbillyjim on September 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Drudge is guilty of this too. Dan Rather gets the byline while the Somoa earthquake that just hit and killed a bunch of people is 1/5th the font. Kind of sad..

BakerAllie on September 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM

How often does the Constitution or the Declaration mention the holy trinity?

Proud Rino on September 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM

The same number of times it mentions abortion, public schools, gay rights, entitlements, and a few hundred other things that are currently taken as absolutes in this country. Why do you ask?

MikeA on September 29, 2009 at 8:21 PM

mobydutch on September 29, 2009 at 8:18 PM

You know, mobydutch, I watched an honor student get beaten to death in front of about twenty witnesses. His crime? Walking down the wrong street and not being part of a gang. What is wrong with these people? And, then you see people like Bill Maher, mocking faith, and you realize that this crap is spreading throughout our culture.

HornetSting on September 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM

He’s right, AP, because the question comes down to ultimate authority. If there is no God, then ultimate authority rests with people and there are no derived rights and morality and justice are totally subjective. Whether you are like your evangelical Democratic friend or your “typical” Mainline Conservative doesn’t matter nearly as much as whether one believes the rights we enjoy are handed down to us by the majority, or whether we have been endowed with them by our Creator. Without deity, ultimately all authority and responsibility rests in us, and in that case the loudest voice (or the biggest gun) truly does determine who enjoys what right. What are the alternatives?

realityunwound on September 29, 2009 at 8:22 PM