Once?

posted at 10:12 am on September 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How often would one imagine that a wartime President, as Commander in Chief, would meet in the first eight months of his term with the overall commander of the theater of war that this President had said was too often overlooked by his predecessor?  Once a month?  Especially given how much public consideration this President has given the political and strategic questions of the fight, perhaps that might be once a week over the last couple of months?

How about once a … lifetime?

The military general credited for capturing Saddam Hussein and killing the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq says he has only spoken to President Obama once since taking command of Afghanistan.

“I’ve talked to the president, since I’ve been here, once on a VTC ,” General Stanley McChrystal told CBS reporter David Martin in a television interview that aired Sunday.

“You’ve talked to him once in 70 days?” Mr. Martin followed up.

“That is correct,” the general replied.

In June 2008, Barack Obama said that it was time for a redeployment from Iraq that “refocuses on Afghanistan and our broader security interests.”  In the same speech, he committed to “taking the fight to al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan. … as President, I will make the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban the top priority that it should be. This is a war that we have to win.”

Five months later, Obama won the election and prepared his transition.  That was ten months ago.  If Afghanistan is his “top priority” and “a war that we have to win,” wouldn’t Obama have carved out a little time in his schedule to meet with the man tasked with winning it more than once since appointing him in June?  It may have forced him to skip a Wagyu beef dinner and perhaps a night on the town in New York City, but those are the sacrifices that a CinC has to make from time to time.

In comparison, how many conversations will Obama have in Copenhagen to land the Olympics for Chicago?  What does that say about the Commander in Chief’s priorities?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’m trying to figure out just what Gates thinks he’s accomplishing by staying in this administration.

Just like I’m trying to figure out why Clinton hasn’t already headed for the exit.

And now McChrystal. Do they think that they’re the only one(s) between Obama and utter catastrophe? That if they bail the whole thing will collapse behind them?

JEM on September 28, 2009 at 10:10 PM

One bright day in DC
One bright room in WH
the phone rings ( ringtone = mmmmm mmmm mmmmm )
BHO : Hello
Sec : Mr Prezisadunce, there is a Gen on the line, says its very important
BHO : What time is it ?
Sec : Its 10 AM Mr Praz
BHO : Shouldn’t he be doing something rather than calling me ?
Sec : Well Mr Prez, Plz stay on the line while I ask him at

Sec : Mr Prez
BHO : Yes
Sec : He says since you are the commander-in-chief, there are somethings only you can decide, thats why he is here
BHO : Tell him to get an appointment, I am busy here checking out Michelle’s new outfits for her trips abroad
Sec : Yes Mr prez, I’ll have the General’s phone number reported and blocked by the SS

10 min later the phone rings again
BHO : Now what ?
Sec : Mr Prez, it is the same Gen again. He says his men are dying and more will die if you don’t do something
BHO : I never asked him to go to any war and I DON’T CARE
Sec : Mr Prez its the Afgan war, you actually wanted that one , you called it the good war
BHO : Is that so ? Hmmmmm. How does this week look for me ?
Sec : Ummm, Mr Prez , we have 6 20 min slots and 3 15 min slots available this week and a few 5 min for the next 3 hours
BHO : I don’t really like ppl in uniform, unless they are guarding me. You know anything about this general ?
Sec : Mr Prez, he is tall, handsome, brave, captured Saddam Hussain, now he is in Afganistan, very honest, patriotic, simple living,
BHO : Hey hey hey..enough. Stop talking like a frigging American patriot.
Sec : Oh I apologise Mr. Prez. Plz forgive me. Will never ever happen again. I’m still learning
BHO : I AM BUSY. OK ? Tell that to the general. Capturing Saddam Hussain..that’ll teach him . And make arrangements, I’ll be going to Copenhagen
Sec : Yes Mr. Prez.
BHO : This is so much fun, I’ll eat a danish in Denmark ..I luv my job

macncheez on September 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Pres. Bush talked weekly with his commanders. This pres. is disgrace

YankeeinCA on September 28, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Obama is a coward and a clown.

lavell12 on September 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Letterman and the Olympic trip with Oprah takes precedence with the Precedent!

chickasaw42 on September 28, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Turn Oprah into a general and then he’ll “have dialog.” After he does the Olympic thing, maybe he can squeeze some time to swing by and have a heart-to-heart with our patriots in Afghanistan. What a WORTHLESS moron; completely despicable anal effluent!!!

jgdp on September 28, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Ya, his SMEAC is FUBAR…

0321_GUY on September 28, 2009 at 11:12 PM

<American treasure bakes in the sun.

American treasure dodges IEDs and incoming mortars.

American sons and daughters spend valuable days in the service of our country.

American families risk their greatest pride and joy in the service in their nation.

What is their return?
A President who fancies the talk show circuit.
A President who dithers on all enemies, particularly, domestic.
A President who, after ignoring the fact that there is a war going on, plans a little jaunt to Denmark…to lobby for the Olympics, for Chicago.

Personally, as a soldier, I am flat out disgusted in this behavior.

Is he the President of Chicago?

Any sentient being can have nothing but disgust for this offal!!!

jgdp on September 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Is he the President of Chicago?

Any sentient being can have nothing but disgust for this offal!!!

jgdp on September 28, 2009 at 11:17 PM

You can take Obama out of Chicago
But
You can’t take Chicago out of Obama

macncheez on September 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM

To be fair to Obama, there aren’t any UNIONS in the military….

TN Mom on September 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM

ALL IT TELLS US HOW DANGEROUS DELIRIOUS LEADER-ADORING-PEOPLE ARE

THEY ELECT SOMEONE WHO IS ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG PERSON AND STILL CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT A STUPIDITY THEY HAVE DONE

mooseburger on September 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM

CONSTITUTION FIRST ARTICLE:
- SIGN, VETO OR DO-NOTHING ON NEW LEGISLATION

THAT DOESN’T SOUND LIKE A HARD JOB…

CONSTITUTION SECOND ARTICLE:
-WAR AND FOREIGN AFFAIRS
“PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL PRESIDENTIAL POWERS IS COMMAND OF THE US ARMED FORCES AND COMMANDER IN CHIEF ” (WIKIPEDIA)

HMM. STRANGE. IF YOU HAVE ONLY TALKED 1 TIME WITH YOUR
MOST IMPORTANT GENERAL…

OFCOURSE, LETS NOT FORGET THE OATH:

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States”

VACANCY, IMPEACHMENT, REMOVAL:

ARTICLE II SECTION 4 :
“to impeach high federal officials, including the President, for “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors”

TREASON IS BECOMING MORE AND MORE CLEAR SINCE HE ONLY SHAKES HANDS WITH THE ENEMIES

THE ONLY PROBLEM LEFT IS
“..given a two-thirds vote to convict”

BUT MAY BE NEXT YEAR EVEN THE MODERATE DEMOCRATS START WAKING UP…

mooseburger on September 29, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Gates has shown himself to be nothing but an ahrse licking power hungry fool.

I used to think Gates was a true patriot, but he`s shown his cards over the past 6 months.

I might be wrong, but I cant see any legitimate excuse for putting up with actions of the Traitor Obama

gozzak on September 29, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Oh SHUT UP about chain-of-command. Chiefs of all military and para-military agencies have regular chats ” with the troops “. Obama simply dosen’t want to be tied directly to the military decisions for political (chicken) reasons.

tx2654 on September 29, 2009 at 2:26 AM

To be fair to Obama, there aren’t any UNIONS in the military….

TN Mom on September 28, 2009 at 11:27 PM

No, but there are several lobbying organizations such as the Retired Enlisted Association and the Reserve Officers Association. Military retiree benefits, VA benefits, and benefits for Reservists/Guardsmen don’t come about simply from the goodness of Congressmen’s hearts.

Ozero (as do all the Libtard leadership) do just enough to deflect criticism of how soft they are on our enemies…and no more.

I may also add that it was only the French, and not Reagan, who responded after the Beruit bombings, but at least he did authorize an attack on Iranian oil platforms after they hit the USS Stark. In short, only Bush I and Bush II have offered any major responses to the outrages of our enemies in the Middle East and the last President Bush put the squeeze on Iran big time by making sure that a huge military presence exists on both sides of Iran.

All in all our presidents have generally pussy-footed around these guys and have pretty much let them have their own way. Even Bush II did nothing to the Iranians though it was clear that they were directly interfering in Iraq. On the other hand, the Iranians have yet to achieve the hegemony they seek in that region. But, perhaps with the creeping in of the Red Chinese navy that will change in the near future?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 29, 2009 at 2:50 AM

He calls a Boston policeman to the White House, but he doesn’t have to meet face-to-face, even once, with his general?

I have previously thought the impeachment folks were silly – until now. It’s the first time it has entered my mind.

faraway on September 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Didn’t mean to tell you I told you so, but I told you so! You think this might be the only thing? Wait and see. Any way to BYPASS the prez? And Biden? And
Pelosi?

Oh yeah I know…call Texas. ;D

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Why should he meet with Petraeus when he’s got a Letterman gig booked?

As hard as it is to accept the fact that the usurper serving as President is someone who wishes to apologize for and destroy America instead of lead America, it is even harder to watch the media cheerlead the attempts.

If Americans haven’t woken up to what the Democrat party has become then we are truly too far gone as a nation to ever recover.

The next 2 election cycles need to be heavy Republican victories on a promise of undoing all the legislature Zero ever signed.

Then this treasonous bastard should be tried and thrown in jail.

Mr Purple on September 29, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Okay, I’m gonna run for president on the fishbowl ticket…

ANY party or none makes no difference to me, I’m just tired of the crap!
SUPPORT THE TROOPS, SUPPORT THE GENERALS!
Other side – you wanna pull the troops outs, I can satisfy you both…
Pull the troops out right now, over night…
Afgans, when you see the troops leaving, run for your lives…
WHAT HAPPENS when you superheat sand?

docjohn52 on September 29, 2009 at 5:14 AM

faraway on September 28, 2009 at 10:25 AM

You need to look a little closer at his past and his refusal to release his college transcripts or stop the birther thing by actually producing a copy of his long form birth certificate.

That is not typical behavior for a President. Everyone releases their college transcripts these days – unless you have the media selling you as a candidate and smearing anyone who questions you as a racist.

Bill Clinton and JFK have their birthplaces enshrined as historical places. Why the reluctance by Zero to prove his birthplace beyond all doubt? It should be something to be documented, celebrated and recognized.

Obama is nothing but a street jiving BS artist socialist. You can’t believe jack s#!t that comes out of his mouth. It’s all a lie. Criticisms are laughed away by Zero, the MSM and Big Hollywood, nobody discusses their merit visibly or with much conviction.

There are serious red flags that are unconscionably swept under the rug by the MSM – even Hot Air. Few are even aware that a birth certificate that was put on eBay has still not been debunked – and in fact closer scrutiny has verified all the names on the certificate as either completely valid (in that said person would have been present to sign) in all but one case – a Dr Ang’awa who is a well known Dr who is known to have practiced just 8 miles away a few short years before Zero’s birth. It is not proven he DID NOT practice at Coast Province General Hospital at that time. His actual employment history is unknown to my knowledge at the time in question.

…and that’s only the beginning of the eligibility questions.

He is probably ineligible to be President and he was indeed much closer with Bill Ayers, Rev Wright, Frank Marshall Davis and all his other questionable associates.

The Chicago Tribune mentions a description of the Dunham’s chosen church as “The Little Red Church on the Hill”. According to its own website, East Shore Unitarian Church got that name because of, “Well-publicized debates and forums on such controversial subjects as the admission of ‘Red China’ to the United Nations….” The fact that John Stenhouse once served as church president might also have contributed to the “red” label.

Mr Purple on September 29, 2009 at 5:14 AM

This calls for a political epitaph:

Disgraced former President Barack Obama began his 25 year sentence today at Ft. Leavenworth Federal Prison. After a lengthy trial where the ex-POTUS showboated his waning oratory skills in his own defense, Obama donned the orange jumpsuit of a rank felon to begin his final term after only being in office as president for a scant 10 months. The unanimous jury decision that handed down the guilty verdict on charges of dereliction of duty, corruption, rigging election outcomes and crimes against the Constitution, sealed Obama’s fate as the most corrupt administration in US history.

In other news, President Palin held Ahmadinejad down on the floor of the UN today. No audio was captured but an exquisitely pedicured foot adorned by a 3 inch red stilletto high heeled shoe left a nasty and permanent mark on the neck of the Iranian president. Judging from the “moistness” of Ahmadinejad’s trousers, one could only surmise that the Iranian was a little “wee weeed up.”

ted c on September 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM

THAT WAS ONE HELL OF A VISUAL!!! Heyy where you left the cuffs and leg chains? Or, President Palin had several basket balls (or stilettos) under her table and fired at will.

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 5:18 AM

I’ll be keeping your kids and all the kids in my prayers. They need it with the craven coward in the White House. He’s not anti-war, he simply doesn’t care about the troops other than what they do to his polling numbers. They are essentially collateral damage to his bigger agenda.

If this mini vacation to Denmark isn’t enough to spike the disapproval, I don’t know what will. I also expect some damage control starting about tomorrow but it is too late. We already know where his priorities lie.

highhopes on September 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM

PRAYER TO ST. JOAN OF ARC

In the face of your enemies,
in the face of harassment,
ridicule, and doubt, you held firm
in your faith.
Even in your abandonment, alone
and without friends, you held firm
in your faith.
Even as you faced
your own mortality, you held firm
in your faith.
I pray that I may be as bold
in my beliefs as you, St. Joan.
I ask that you ride alongside me
in my own battles.
Help me be mindful that what is
worthwhile can be con when I persist.
Help me hold firm in my faith.
Help me believe in my ability
to act well and wisely.Amen

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 6:11 AM

canditaylor68 on September 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Are you telling me that Obama will not fly over to give those meek soldiers a nice Thanksgiving dinner? /sarc?

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Mr Purple on September 29, 2009 at 5:14 AM

The latest hoopla is that the BC was AMENDED; therefore that is the reason it has not surfaced. Look up the original lawsuit website. NOTE: I am not a birther, but found out about it on the web. Hey, I will take anything!

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 6:37 AM

Barack Hugh-shame Obama

BigAlSouth on September 29, 2009 at 7:23 AM

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM

The troops deserve an Obama-free holiday. They really deserve an Obama-free military but, sadly, they are stuck with the filthy lying coward for the foreseeable future.

highhopes on September 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM

highhopes on September 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM

We all do, highhopes, we all do…

ProudPalinFan on September 29, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Iran is at war with the USA.
Iran is at war with the USA in Iraq.
Iran is at war with the USA in Afghanistan.

Didn’t work against Iraq. And look how long it’s been going on with Cuba. So Obama is going to lift the embargo on Cuba in time to place one on Iran. Spreading the wealth of insipid reactions. Perfect translation of, “I’m not interested in victory; I want to solve the problem.”

U.S. Aims To Isolate Iran if Talks Fail