Alert the Media: Mike Gallagher

posted at 9:06 am on September 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

I’ll be making an appearance on the Mike Gallagher Show this morning at around 9:30 am ET.  Mike wants to talk about my article in Townhall Magazine on the Franken-Coleman recount and the lessons that Republicans need to learn in the future.  I wrote about this last month, which you can read here — but if you want to read the whole article, you’ll need to subscribe to Townhall!  Be sure to tune us in or listen through Mike’s website.

Comments

Sorry, but many here in Dallas area boycott Gallagher because of his anti-bicyclist rhetoric. Cyclists who ride for exercise train for ride events are the objects of his verbal assaults.

jediwebdude on September 28, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Cyclists? You mean people who like to use the rules of a pedestrian and the rules of a vehicle when it suits them? People who like to clog the roads riding two and three abreast and then wave nasty fingers when a car attempts to pass?

Wow, go ahead with your boycott, I am sure he is really scared!

jbh45 on September 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM

A. Gallagher is in the Hannity category… not terribly bright, but he can reapeat stuff a lot without actually making an argument… never been impressed… somewhat embarrassed as a conservative.

B. Cyclist moan “they’re our roads too”… well then, drive 35 mph if you want to stay on public roads… and let me drive in “bike only” lanes… If I drive at 15 mph, I get pulled over and ticketed for being a hazard.

mankai on September 28, 2009 at 9:28 AM

jediwebdude just wanted his username on the air. Nice job dude.

d’oh…may the farce be with you.

katy on September 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Gallagher’s always been an incessant whiner but his show is getting even harder to listen to with his every-five-minute commercial rotation. I still listen to him, but it’s down to about 10% of his show…and shrinking.

SKYFOX on September 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM

You will be posting the audio as an update to this thread, right?

trapeze on September 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Sorry, MG is on the same time here as GB. GB is on FM v. MG being on AM.

ny59giants on September 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

For all you guys that drive cars without hood ornaments, bike riders make great ones !

DoctorDentons on September 28, 2009 at 9:48 AM

His anti bicycle rant is based on a significant portion of bicyclists violating rules of the road. They run a red light and give the finger to the car driver as the car moves forward on a green light. 20 bicyclists in the traffic lane and refusing to move over and travel single file as the law requires when cars are present. Not slowing down let alone stopping for stop signs. I know that many bicyclists are responsible and considerate riders but the failure to follow the rules of the road cause accidents and injurys, and in many cases finacial responsability falls on the car owner because they carry insurance. Adding to the problem is that the police seem to avoid the bicyclists that disregard the laws so the behavior is repeated.

chicken thief on September 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Fey conservative Gallagher never impressed me much. Years ago when he was 1/2 of the morning talk team on NY’s WABC radio, his uber lib partner, Lionel, usually ran rings around Gallagher’s weak arguments. In one heated exchange after Lionel beat him again, Gallagher made this memorable concession: “Well that’s how I feel about it and I’m not going to apologize, I’m sorry.”

Yephora on September 28, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Mike Gallagher is a loud mouth. He spends too much time yelling at callers and putting them down.

I find myself unable to see his appeal.

jake-the-goose on September 28, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Only the bicyclist in Texas like themselves the rest of us think your kooks,, we by far out number you. Hope you don’t ride in front of me…you are not welcome in Fort Davis any more…so there.

tinkerthinker on September 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM

We had Gallagher on here in Orlando for a while. He didn’t last a year. The local show we have now is actually more entertaining.
His ratings were nowhere near the wife-shooter’s. (those in Orlando know who that is)

Lanceman on September 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM

What’s with the bicyclist hate in Texas? Do they have a Critical Mass chapter there? Now those guys are easy to hate.

SKYFOX on September 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM

I’d rather listen to Gallagher than Mark Levin. But it’s a close race.

Percy_Peabody on September 28, 2009 at 10:10 AM

tinkerthinker on September 28, 2009 at 10:03 AM

I hit Ft Davis for Texas Star Party every year, not the big annual bike ride. If you didn’t want to be bothered by tourists, you should move elsewhere.

jediwebdude on September 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Wow, go ahead with your boycott, I am sure he is really scared!

jbh45 on September 28, 2009 at 9:23 AM

In all fairness, it’s a two-way street (sorry). In California at least — and I do NOT hold this up as a model of a cyclist/automobile utopia — the prevailing rule among serious cyclists is Equal Rights/Equal responsibilities. The point is that cyclists should share the road and observe the same rules as cars. As a once-competitive bicycle racer (USCF Cat 3), I have taken to task more than one a**hole cyclist for blowing a red light or “hairpinning” an intersection to avoid unclipping from the pedals. One guy and I got into a screaming match because he felt that he had the right to behave like you describe, JDB, and I flatt-a**ed told him he was ruining it for the rest of us.

Of course, I have been “door-jobbed” and pelted with eggs, etc. and flipped off my share of butt-wipe drivers who felt that we belonged on the sidewalk. One guy — in a Volvo, of course — almost cost me my life and ended up with a front seat drenched with some sticky elctrolyte drink poured in through his open sun roof.

(I got in some quality sprint and lead-out training after that episode.)

However, in a perfect world, cyclists can ride on the roads in lanes and be given a buffer space. Of course, they cannot — except in two places in Southern California — ride on freeways and if caught obstructing traffic, they are subject to a ticket.

Case in point, our club — Velo Allegro out of Long Beach, California — was stopped by a Sheriff and the entire group was ticketed for riding along PCH in a double paceline. The tickets cost us plenty and yielded soem [pretty good revenue for the city of Huntington Beach.

VoyskaPVO on September 28, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Gallagher is a windbag. All talk show hosts are to some extent, but Gallagher is the windbag’s windbag.

rrpjr on September 28, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Judging from the lack of interest here… and the greater interest in TX Bicycle Law Precedent… I think we need a Conservative General Manager.

It’s not that guys like Hannity and Gallagher aren’t conservatives… they just aren’t gettin the job done. They convince NOBODY. They need to be put on waivers and replaced with real talent.

mankai on September 28, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I love tourists,,bicyclists aren’t in that class. Motorcyclist are better. The people of Fort Davis hate bicyclists. Besides being a hazard on our roads, they are cheap,, don’t spend any money..bahh

tinkerthinker on September 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I stopped listening when he started breaking out in show tunes.

toliver on September 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

I always wondered why bike riders don’t ride in the oncoming lane.
It’s easier to see oncoming traffic and move to the edge of the road.

justltl on September 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM

MG is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Way too much self aggrandizement going on with him. Sick of his self adulation. Next he’ll be selling books constantly. Rarely a sharp to the point issue…. can’t argue well when given that rare intelligent caller…. Please replace him with a non stuttering keen intellect that is not boring. What’s with the excessive commercials – certainly doesn’t command that kind of pay….

highninside on September 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM

highninside on September 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I cringe when I see him on cable news to present the conservative argument… which he is not capable of doing.

mankai on September 28, 2009 at 11:54 AM