Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:10 am on September 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

According to my Merriam’s dictionary definition of Sunday, it’s time for another poll to choose the Obamateurism of the Week.  Some may disagree with the eventual winner, but let me say that I will always stand with the voters who demand to be heard (except when you get in the way of my desire to suck up to foreign lunatic dictators, of course).  The idea is to get the one that best highlights the amateurism of President Whosits,  which can mean anything from taking their ball and going home to failing to read one’s speech before delivering it.  Enjoy!

Previous “winners”:

Comments

I have to admit that picking these Obamateurisms of the Week is hard when the clown makes stupid comments daily – any chance of Obamateurisms of the Day?

New column: Obama Daily Stupid?

IntheNet on September 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I know this isn’t a choice, but I believe I would pick this.

Ace has a video up where Obama admits he isn’t interested in victory. It’s disturbing.

deidre on September 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM

So many choices. I went with the tax definition. It’s amazing how he responds when he’s actually questioned about the issues.

kingsjester on September 27, 2009 at 9:22 AM

The last three were tied with me.

yoda on September 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM

Obama Captures Bin Laden?

I see a few blog posts on this issue.

Mr. Joe on September 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM

So many to choose from each and every week! I picked lets talk about the definition not how O’s adding a tax and not calling it a tax. sheeesh

IowaWoman on September 27, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I picked getting his daughter’s name wrong, even though its not the most substantively significant… “Malia” looks like “Maia,” especially from a distance, and he didn’t correct himself (assuming of course that the video editor didn’t cut it prematurely). Surely he’s not relying on a teleprompter for a CNN interview… I mean, that’s not possible, right?

IU_Conservative on September 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM

OT

Ed…I hope you put the You Tube that deidre referred to up today.

deidre on September 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM

yoda on September 27, 2009 at 9:29 AM

-10 on Rasmussen today.

Key West Reader on September 27, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Had to go with tax increase.

hanoverfist on September 27, 2009 at 9:35 AM

I also picked Mr. Family Man who holds date night and family night not getting his daughter’s name correct.

katablog.com on September 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM

“A tax is not really a tax if it is for the greater good” wins.

Not a close contest.

ConScribe on September 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I can’t in good conscience go after the incorrect name for his daughter or mispronunciation of a word, I’ve done it my self too many times albeit in front of a much smaller audience. It really was draw between how totally clueless he is about all things economic and the obvious lie about standing up for voters. I am desperately sorry for the president’s foreign policy but I am feeling pretty selfish right now. I am worrying about the U.S. first.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I had to go with the tax flub, but yanking a white house guy from CNN because they didn’t like another guest is pretty darn amateurish. If one thing could get the MSM to start turning on the One, it would be messing with their access.

forest on September 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Some hard choices this week.

jeanie on September 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I’m with Cindy on the first two, and the fifth one has become typical behavior for this White House. So I’m torn between the 3rd and 4th. To say it’s “stretching” to use the dictionary (and commonly understood) definition of the word “tax” is really reaching, as is his analogy to car insurance. But to stand up in front of the UN and tell the world that he stands with voters who demand to be heard after waffling as he did over the Iranian uprising last summer, and given what he continues to do to Honduras… Yep, I gotta go with 5.

ProfessorMiao on September 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM

forest on September 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM

Good one. I hope you are right but the media will always doubt themselves before they doubt The One. They will even turn on one another. And they can always blame conservatives for his “failures”. They have been deifying cool blacks for decades. Now He is here. How can he be wrong about anything?

IlikedAUH2O on September 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I gotta go with 5 4.

At least I voted for the one I meant to. Not off to a good start today.

ProfessorMiao on September 27, 2009 at 9:58 AM

ProfessorMiao on September 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM

The first two choices shouldn’t even be up there. Everyone is allowed those little brain blips. I thought it was so petty whenever the other side used to pick on Bush for that kind of stuff. The other three choices were more about the insidious nature of this administration, which brings us to the more important point…make it look good and sound good and never mind the facts. And the media better help them do it or else…….

lynncgb on September 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Fee, levy, permit, license, involuntary contribution, duty, anything but a tax right Barry.

HoustonRight on September 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2009 at 9:43 AM

It’s for these ignored trivialities that Ed created the Obamateurism entries in the first place. I voted for the tax issue also, but you know if any Republican president since Herbert Hoover had botched their child’s name it would have been a major media subject, and in the current climate and media world, a mistake like that would have provided the late-night comics with a month or more of jokes and in the eyes of the left, been another example of how the president is a moron.

jon1979 on September 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM

The problem with this week’s choices is that they’re all variations on things he’s been doing and doing and doing.

Am I simply exercising my personal death-wish if I ask for a truly original Obamateurism?

NeighborhoodCatLady on September 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

This was a very strong week. We need to go to a ranking system.

c.u.shoeless on September 27, 2009 at 10:13 AM

jon1979 on September 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I agree but it’s not a hill worth dying for. I’ve long since abandon any hope of fair media play.

Cindy Munford on September 27, 2009 at 10:22 AM

I picked the first one. Sure, my parents got our names confused sometimes (there are 7 kids in my family) but they always had the right name and not some other name out of left field. Maya? Is there a third kid we don’t know about?

mizflame98 on September 27, 2009 at 10:30 AM

NeighborhoodCatLady on September 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I would not say that you are. The fact is, though, that so many people fail to see the disagreements not only between Obama’s statements and his actions but also among his statements.

Staying sane may be all you and I could do while Obama keeps up his charade and, as I say, is noted less each time by many who should. And then there are those, such as the Captain, who are able to have some fun and are not necessarily driven to the brink of lunacy by Obama’s dissonant behavior—fortunately or unfortunately.

ConScribe on September 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Rough week when saying that the greatest achievements in environmental protection happened in the last 8 months wasn’t even an option.

cadams on September 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Definitely dismissing the dictionary definition of tax…

ladyingray on September 27, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Dissing the voters in Iran is probably the worst thing for his administration, but personally his 8th grade approach to denying George S. his point was classic amateurishness.

Mojave Mark on September 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Off topic – I think I found the new ‘respect czar’

sherryande on September 27, 2009 at 11:14 AM

OT but I need some help understanding Gates’ response to this question from George Stephanopolous:

STEPHANOPOULOS: Does the US government believe that Iran has an active nuclear weapons program?

GATES: I think, my personal opinion is that the Iranians have the intention of having nuclear weapons. I think the question of whether they have made a formal decision to move towards the development of nuclear weapons, uh, is in doubt.

I’m reading the 2 sentences in Gates’ response as nearly contradictory. Help???

ProfessorMiao on September 27, 2009 at 11:15 AM

lynncgb on September 27, 2009 at 10:00 AM

That’s EXACTLY why Ed is running this feature. Slate continued running their “Bushism of the Day” clear on to at least March 17, 2009. Talk about unrelenting!

Ed wrote a column about it on March 21st, pointing out that Bush had not been President for the previous two months. Maybe Slate saw Ed’s column, and realized that they were being idiots. BTW, Slate has since gone back and scrubbed the Bushisms from after inauguration day.

ss396 on September 27, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, Mr. P-BO, why don’t you argue substance over semantics every time you have an interview or a speech where you try to change public perception by public lying.

Wait for it ……

You LIE!

The tax definition choice got the vote from me in a squeaker – he IS so amateur.

ExpressoBold on September 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM

The dictionary thing is pathetic to be sure, but the Iran thing got my vote – just so much more important in the grand scheme of things.

Beyond sorry, this guy is.

RedNewEnglander on September 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Oh come on, you have to be the lowest scum, POS, not to remember your daughter’s name.

moonsbreath on September 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM

It was a tough choice between three and four, but I usually go with the one that is likely to do the most damage to the U.S. That one was number 4. And it isn’t just the Iran thing–the whole speech was a travesty. Denigrating the U.S.A. before thug leaders in the U.N. and thereby making us into a weak target is pretty contemptible in my book.

theotherone on September 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM

His rotten progressive core is exposed a little with the tax screw up. It’s only gonna get worse.

Spiritk9 on September 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Dog feces ice cream.

John the Libertarian on September 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

hard one for me this week….went with the #4,

dear leader:do as I say, not what I do….

cmsinaz on September 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I’m reading the 2 sentences in Gates’ response as nearly contradictory. Help???

ProfessorMiao on September 27, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Gates? How do you become part of something so contemptious of your mission and even the basic concepts of the nation you are sworn to defend and still have honor?

The guy is as lost as a Christian civil rights worker hired by a group of Nazis and Klansmen to handle their security and safety pledges to Jews and blacks.

IlikedAUH2O on September 27, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Is he still doing drugs?

Honestly…doesn’t he have the symptoms?

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM

This was such a big week for Obamateurisms. Not wanting Victory over Iranian nukes didn’t even make the cut. While torn between Miriam Webster on taxes and Free elections, except in Iran, I went with Iran. His Amateur status is going to hurt us most in Foreign Policy.

TwilightAuthor on September 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Shouldn’t it be “Webster’s dictionary” or “Merriam-Webster” anyway? I thought Webster was the guy who originally wrote the dictionary, which was then edited by Merriam. Stephanopoulos got it right, but this suggests that Obama doesn’t really know who Webster was.

Stephanopoulos should have pulled out an OED. =D

ClassicalMusicNerd on September 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM

ss396 on September 27, 2009

So is this just the tit for tat portion of the program?

lynncgb on September 27, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Tough choices.

When Obama got ticked off because he doesn’t agree with the dictionary’s definition of taxes I can’t help but feel it’s not amateurism. He’s seriously bent on trouble.

Guardian on September 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Is he still doing drugs? Honestly…doesn’t he have the symptoms? Dr. ZhivBlago on September 27, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Been wondering the same thing…But I have to go with #4. He stands with voters who want to be heard-except in Iran…or the United States of America! Basically it’s selective hearing. BHO hears only what he wants to hear. He won, donchaknow!

indypat on September 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

It’s always hard to choose, but I picked taxes, etc. because it’s a good illustration of how ignorant he is of history, economics, math, the American people, just about everything really.

What the heck are they teaching at Havard these days anyway?

Common Sense on September 27, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I voted #2 – “intrepidity”. Yes, in one way it’s just a mispronounciation of a difficult word. But this was a Commander in Chief awarding the highest military decoration to a fallen hero is. You’d think he could’ve looked up the hard words before stepping up to the podium. The fact that he apparently gave no more thought to this speech than to any other TOTUS-aided talk is, in my opinion, disappointing and disrespectful.

Least of These on September 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Boy, I tell ya: if ever there were a week for an “All Of The Above” choice…

Captain Scarlet on September 27, 2009 at 3:06 PM

man.. I was torn between the Taxes and “We stand with the voters.”

Had to go with the “We stand with the voters.” Gotta give it to hm though. It takes some huge balls to make that statement after the way he acted.

Ampersand on September 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Got his kid’s name wrong? WTH!? Is his sister’s name Miya? (sp?)
*opens new tab

Elektra on September 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Maya Soetoro. Yes. Not quite as bad as the definition of ‘tax”.
lol

Elektra on September 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

What a cornucopia of idiocy and lack of understanding.

One is hard pressed to choose just one.

madmonkphotog on September 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I can’t choose.

madmonkphotog on September 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Hard to choose.

Harvard grad Obama doesn’t understand that you don’t have to have auto insurance unless you choose to drive; Obamacare forces everyone to have health ins.

If you choose to not purchase health insurance, Obamacare will impose a hefty fine, a $25000.00 penality and/or JAIL. But hey, he won’t call it a tax.. But the fines/JAIL time are imposed by the IRS…

Obama’s healthcare plan mandates the IRS to have realtime access to YOUR bank account!

TN Mom on September 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM

This was a tough choice. I don’t fault him necessarily for mispronouncing a word because as much as he speaks in public, he’s bound to mess up something. And I was leaning toward the Iran statement, but I finally went with the CNN thing. Honestly, it pretty much describes what how this administration acts. Whine and cry when they don’t get their way. That’s no way to lead. Someone should remind the people on Pennsylvania Avenue that they have the most difficult and highly scrutinized jobs in the world and they will get no respect if they behave like children on a playground.

CarolinaGirl6 on September 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM