Chart of the Day: Keeping your own doctor under ObamaCare

posted at 11:08 am on September 26, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier this week, the Republicans on the Joint Economic Committee in the Senate, led by Sam Brownback (R-KS), gave American taxpayers an idea of what it would take to keep your current doctor in the ObamaCare system proposed by Max Baucus (D-MT) and Democrats in the Senate.  This flowchart may seem daunting at first, but think of it this way.  Could you get a tax return process into a single page and have the font be anything above microscopic?  Of course not.  Just suck it up, you taxpaying weenies — and don’t forget to hire H&R Block to represent you in the health-care process.  Click on the image to enlarge, if you actually want to read the text, though.

Comments

Who knew that red tape would end up being a killer.

fourdeucer on September 26, 2009 at 11:15 AM

This makes me sick…’unintended consequences’…when just a chart of the legislation sends you to puke, there’s a problem.

LEBA on September 26, 2009 at 11:16 AM

How about a chart of a big middle finger?

LibTired on September 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Using Cntrl+ to get it big enough to read caused an illegal function warning! What now?

Dusty on September 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Dusty on September 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Simple: You are not permitted to know the details!

This is good for you because the Democrats and Osama Obama say so. You do not need further reassurance.

MrScribbler on September 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Wow. I am speechless. This is really a monstrosity. And yes, I am a weenie. ;)

WashingtonsWake on September 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Where’s Dr. Waldo?

ICBM on September 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Dusty on September 26, 2009 at 11:18 AM

Time for the magnifying glass, which ironically is necessary even if you can read it!

LEBA on September 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM

The IRS joined with ACORN to help low-income taxpayers prepare their tax returns (especially to claim the refundable earned-income tax credit) because the forms were too complicated.

What now?

DHS or someone else will resurrect ACORN to walk people through this nonsense?

BuckeyeSam on September 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM

[MrScribbler on September 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM]

My antivirus says it’s the Kundra-Lloyd trojan.

Dusty on September 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

It takes alot of effort to control citizens’ subjects’ behavior.

clorensen on September 26, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Click 2 separate times on the image to enlarge it in order to read it.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Come on Ed, we went through this yesterday.

If something seems wildly out of whack, in this case, in terms of complexity, and seems like it completely validates your world view, and scores cheap political points against Democrats, you really need to stop and ask yourself “will I look like a hack if I post this?”

In this case, the answer is again yes. This is a clearly overcomplicated chart meant to scare people who are easily scared by needlessly complex flowcharts. For example, there are boxes with only “yes” options, implying they are added only to better fill up the page. And the most common option in America “Do I get health insurance from my employer?” is something like 8 boxes in, instead of first, as it would be if the flowchart creator were attempting an honest effort to explain health care to the reader. And so on.

At least Brownback’s staff gets paid to churn out this crap. You’re giving it away for free!

e-pirate on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Nice strategery Repubs! “Let’s scare the dumbasses with complicated looking charts.”

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

How many more administrators are doctors going to have to hire to understand these stupid compliance rules? I can see more time spent shuffling papers than curing the sick.

fourdeucer on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

See, the strategy works every time!

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Rube Goldberg on congressional steroids.

Fletch54 on September 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Think Medicare only about 100 times worse.

(I used to work for Medicare, I know what I’m talking about….)

mjk on September 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM

This is very complicated for me. I must defer to my betters in government to explain it for me in simple 3 word sentences that I can understand. The sole purpose of government is to provide everything for its citizens while the citizens gladly give up all of their personal choices.You are an uninformed racist,teabaggin political terrorist if you object to this plan for any reason.

It doesnt matter what it costs,we cant afford not to do it. The iraq war costs blah blah blah. Bush started the deficits blah blah blah. Eight years of Repub leadership=Shut up! We are all just not smart enough to know whats good for us. Are we fired up and ready to go?! Yes We Can.///Sarc Obot/Typical Obama speech.

canditaylor68 on September 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM

See, the strategy works every time!

Yes this dumbass would prefer to go to the doctor without jumping through loops, and my doctor would rather treat patients than comply with stupid regulations.

fourdeucer on September 26, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Where’s Dr. Waldo?

ICBM on September 26, 2009 at 11:21 AM

He’s down in the corner putting Grandma to death.

Kensington on September 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Looks simple enough…

catmman on September 26, 2009 at 11:39 AM

This flowchart goes beyond “Can I keep my doctor?” and into the realm of “Can I keep my doctor and get my current illness taken care of?”. The former is complicated enough without larding it up with the latter.

I especially like the area around “I’m uninsured”. Suddenly, you discover that not only are you not covered, but that you have to pay for the privilege of being non-covered while moving into the next set of boxes — which, for many branches, leave you untreated for the illness.

unclesmrgol on September 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

You’re scared by complicated looking charts? That’s just silly, Huckleberry.

jimmy2shoes on September 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

e-pirate on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Oh quit it…are you saying congress is not capable of cobbling together a health care plan that’s so complicated you need to be a brain surgeon to figure it out? If so, I’ll have some of what you’re smoking so I can believe it too.

scalleywag on September 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

This is a clearly overcomplicated chart meant to scare people who are easily scared by needlessly complex flowcharts. e-pirate on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I must defer to my betters in government to explain it for me in simple 3 word sentences that I can understand//obot response. canditaylor68 on September 26, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I rest my case.

canditaylor68 on September 26, 2009 at 11:48 AM

I just went to the link to print it out and join its brother, HR3200 Chart #1 which is on the fridge’s door. When my headache’s gone–thanks, dog!!!!–then I will munch on it w/breakfast.

I have worked in office computer crap like many of you I bet, now I can’t. But the jackasses that have prepared those two flowcharts certainly deserve some award. At least this one has a legend, bottom right. I need one for the first one; some things are not clear to me.

ProudPalinFan on September 26, 2009 at 11:48 AM

My personal favorite–”Is my doctor willing to treat me for free?”

txhsmom on September 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

It really is very simple.
If you have insurance, will your employer decide it’s cheaper to dump your coverage, or will your carrier decide they can’t stay in business.

Actually getting treatment is another story.

Will your doctor decide that government pay scales aren’t worth the trouble and chose to take up macrame, or some other interest?

Skandia Recluse on September 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

loops

I think it’s “hoops,” chief. [sorry, couldn't resist]

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:52 AM

e-pirate on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

You are quite right with respect to the arrows. There are a few boxes with only “yes” values coming out of them. I was able to easily correct the chart by drawing a line labelled “no” from the affected boxes to “You’re uninsured.” Fixes everything.

This chart indeed shows the amount of government intrusion into the healthcare process associated with keeping your Doctor AND getting your illness taken care of, and shows it via the bordered elements.

The chart is also ordered from upper left to lower left with an algorithm designed to minimize crossings (places where arrows must cross over each other). It’s done much the way most programmers’ tools do use cases. The order of operations matches what you would need to do to determine your doctor’s eligibility, and then to determine whether, for the intersection of doctor and plan, whether your illness was covered.

If they wanted to lard the chart further, they could have expanded out the entire set of choices possible via the “ombudsman” subprocess.

The red-bordered elements scare me. We spend about 4-6 hours per month dealing with insurers now in my family, and I would expect that to go up. In fact, as Ed has pointed out in previous posts, if the Government can’t handle GI educational reimbursement properly, and the Government can’t handle healthcare for the Indians properly, and the Government can’t even handle healthcare for our wounded warriors properly, then what makes anyone think they can build something to handle healthcare for you and me?

In a few years I’ll be ready for Medicare Advantage — and, from the way things are looking now, Medicare Advantage will be restricted in what it is allowed to cover from what it covers today. The chart doesn’t even go into that, because to do so, it would have to introduce thickness of line as an indicator of improved vs. degraded access.

unclesmrgol on September 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

That video is bad, out right Racist

GalaxyM64 on September 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Actually, the chart cites an element of the Baucus bill in every box. It is disingenuous to say the following:

e-pirate on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

The point of the chart is to show how the Baucus bill will force government-ordered decisions at every step of the process. Where the answer to a question is “Yes,” it is Yes only in the context of new regulation that might very well make it “No.” It’s that regulation that doesn’t exist now.

Confidence that no “Yes” will ever turn to “No” under the Baucus bill can be maintained only by fools.

J.E. Dyer on September 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

the complexity reflected (fairly) in this chart shows the extent to which policy makers will (1) mess with the market and (2) obfuscate the fundamental but unsayable goal (single payer/no choice).

clorensen on September 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM

It’s accurate.

Blake on September 26, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Who would of thunk a monstrous bill written by congressional staffers, lobbyists and lawyers would be complicated. I guess it will be just as easy to get care as it is now. It is so easy certain congressmen won’t even read it, that is how good Washington is at keeping things simple.

Howcome on September 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM

So who was the politician that spread all those rumors about how a government agency was going to make life and death decisions? The above chart surely proves her wrong – doesn’t it?

katablog.com on September 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM

My question is: When do you answer this flow chart? Each time you need to see a doctor or at tax time and if it is at tax time, do you have to answer to one of these charts each time you have seen the doctor or have had any medical treatment? Plus, since they are asking if “this treatment” is covered, I guess you have to get approved or not approved by whatever insurance you have before being treated. So many questions and this is just the beginning. Just imagine how you’ll feel when you’re actually ill and have to go through all this!

Yes, the Libs and Obama really have concern for us, don’t they! These proposed ideas are lunacy. They have taken a cause to insure a few uninsured into the biggest medical mess anyone could imagine. The crazies are now running the clinic!

Hobbes on September 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Nightmare, by design! <–

This is the worst social engineering disaster to strike America in our history.

The ultimate end point is doctors are going to quit, or at least cut to 1/2 time work weeks. Who will blame them?

The result is most people fortunate enough to see a doctor will see physicians assistants and newly minted doctors fresh from med school.

Be scared America. If this passes we begin a decline to Euro socialism from which there is no return.

Thanks Dims!!

FireBlogger on September 26, 2009 at 1:01 PM

<blockquote?See, the strategy works every time!

Grow Fins on September 26, 2009 at 11:35 AM

No, because we’re on to them this time.

unclesmrgol on September 26, 2009 at 1:10 PM

I now understand how the wizards of smart in the Obama administration are going to make the hellcare rain trillions of dollars by being soooooooper efficient.

jukin on September 26, 2009 at 1:54 PM

well I’m glad that this has all been sorted out

jollycynic on September 26, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Reminder who we deal with

Schadenfreude on September 26, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Politicians represent no one except the non productive and parasitic class from whom they garner votes. This poor Republic is terminally sick and cannot long endure. We have watched helplessly as these self serving jackasses have defamed the memory of our heros and destroyed this once great nation.

rplat on September 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM

The chart is probably irrelevant anyway, as 45% of physicians say they’ll quit or retire early if this FUBARed bill passes.

citrus on September 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Byzantine

You say that like it’s something bad.

Tzetzes on September 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM

There are two shortcuts hidden in the chart:

1.) Fly to Monaco with a stack of Krugerrands.

2.) Be a senator or congress-person / congress-thing.

viking01 on September 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM

What are you all complaining about. Even little kids can understand this chart

macncheez on September 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Republicans? Where? I don’t see any Republicans here.

R. Waher on September 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

R. Waher
All I seen was crack pot.

GalaxyM64 on September 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM

grows fins, e-pirate,

Yeah, we’re the idiots.

On the other hand you believe government controlled/run healthcare insurance will be simpler, cheaper, provide more coverage, will be deficit neutral and won’t ever be subsidized, won’t negatively impact medical professions and you won’t have to change your doctor if you don’t want to. I’d believe in skittle pooping unicorns before I’d believe that.

gwelf on September 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Yes you all will be able to keep your Personal Family Pgysician.
It also looks like he can’t get reimbursed by teddy care.

seven on September 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM

I think this is fantastic! This is what the American people voted for, this is what the American people will get, and this will teach the American people that a vote DOES make a real difference change.

Don’t be a racist. Support the 0bamanation today. /sarc

DannoJyd on September 26, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Skandia Recluse on September 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Many doctors have already made similar decisions in Madison County, IL. They’ve either moved out, or have taken up (of all things) law school.

Chaz706 on September 26, 2009 at 6:47 PM

You can keep your own doctor but they’ll probably put him in jail if he treats you without Big Brother’s permission.

viking01 on September 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Hobbes on September 26, 2009 at 12:43 PM

You bring up a point not considered by the chart: Q: Do I have enough money in my bank account to pay the cadillac tax on my supplemental policy?

unclesmrgol on September 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM

I’ll just wait for the government approved board game comes out for the kiddies, thanks.

di butler on September 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM

e-pirate on September 26, 2009 at 11:33 AM

It looks overly complex genius BECAUSE IT IS. The healthcare issue is really up close and personal for me. I just lost my wife to the same cancer that killed her mother. I now have to worry about whether my son will come down with it. RIGHT NOW WE HAVE THE BEST HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD AND DIRTBAGS LIKE YOU ARE TRYING TO CHANGE IT.

We were in italy not too long ago. My wife had problems and we needed an ultrasound to check for internal bleeding. Pretty much of an emergency eh wot? We got one the very next day for about 150 euros. I asked the doc how we got such quick service under socialized medicine. His answer was “We don’t have the single payer system they are trying to put in place for you. You can go private as you did or you can go public. If you went for the public system, it would have taken you six months to get the ultrasound, even though we suspect internal bleeding” SIX MONTHS MORON.. SIX FFREAKING MONTHS IS WHAT IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN UNDER OBAMACARE. (or worse considering that Bertiscoloni is a couple of orders of magnatude smarter than jugears)

Obamacare is as serious a threat to my family as if someone put a cocked .45 to my son’s head.

bullseye on September 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Hillary can you explain? Why don’t we see you on sunday morning talk shows like Condi uesd to be? hmmm? Oh its not election time yet. Then we’ll see and hear you? Mark my words folks. She is behind this crap.

johnnyU on September 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Obama’s comment on this.

dont taze me bro on September 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Obamacare is the same as homeless medical care. It would be the same exact level of treatment regardless of how much you make.

Whatever happened to “My body, my choice” that the libs used to love to say. I guess that only applies if mom wants to kill her own child.

Mojave Mark on September 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Mojave Mark on September 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Bingo.

Oh and by the way, the father who contributed to creating the child has NO say whatsoever. There is nothing to keep mommy dearest from yanking the rug out from under him and murdering his child(ren) simply because she has them for now.

Dark-Star on September 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM