Police: Suicide not ruled out in death of Census worker found hanged

posted at 9:56 pm on September 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

His body was allegedly found with the word “fed” scrawled across the chest, which was all the evidence the nutroots needed to conclude that the right’s long, long-awaited murderous rampage had finally begun. Minor details after the fact: (a) Cops haven’t ruled out suicide, (b) they won’t confirm the “fed” bit, and (c) there were unspecified “errors” in the original AP story.

2) His death has been ruled “asphyxia,” Trosper said in an interview. “There was a rope around his neck. It was attached to a tree,” Trosper continued, adding this intriguing detail: “He was in contact with the ground.”

That raises the possibilty that the cause of death was not hanging. Asked if this were possible, Trosper said: “Nothing is being ruled out.”

3) Trosper said the initial AP story on the death contains “flaws and errors.” That means it’s possible that the AP’s claim, based on an anonymous source, that he had the word “fed” scrawled on his chest could be false. Asked if that were the case, Trosper declined to comment.

Lefty Michael Roston urges caution, noting correctly that this might indeed be a case of militiamen gone wild but there’s good reason to think that it isn’t. Turns out the area’s filthy with pot growers, drug dealers, and meth-heads known to get antsy when someone from the government knocks on their door.

Discourse in our nation may be getting scary in some situations – I certainly don’t like hearing about ‘watering the tree of liberty’ with our fairly elected president’s blood. But our drug war has had a lot of collateral damage for people at points all over the socioeconomic ladder, and regardless of their political orientations. A lot of folks on the left are eager to find a case to hold up against the overblown depiction of the Belleville bus fight last week. I fear that the interpretation of Mr. Sparkman’s likely murder may be shaded by those events, instead of seeing this for the drug war consequence that it is.

Consider for instance that Rachel Maddow in her broadcast last night failed to even discuss the drug possibility. And over at Talking Points Memo, Zachary Roth argued today that, “it may be hard to separate those two motivations,” of drugs versus anti-government sentiment. But anti-government sentiment by illegal drug producers is not the same thing as anti-Census and anti-Obama sentiment. Failing to hold up this possibility is a failing on the part of media that cover this story.

A further interesting detail buried in WaPo’s story on this tonight: The Census Bureau says it has no information that Sparkman was targeted because he worked for the agency, which is hard to reconcile with the “fed” detail. Either it’s true and the cops are keeping it under wraps for now or there never was any “fed” writing and the Bureau knows it.

What’s uniquely disgusting about stories like this is the eagerness, to borrow Ace’s perfectly apt description, to find an ideological motive with which to bludgeon one’s opponents. The human life involved is reduced to the crudest sort of political prop. It reminds of when that nut walked into Hillary’s campaign headquarters in New Hampshire during the Democratic primary and took everyone hostage, and for hours no one knew anything about the motive. I remember the palpable sense of anticipation in the blogosphere as people waited to find out if it was a crazed right-wing Clinton-hater whodunnit or a crazed left-wing Obama supporter. (The punchline: He ended up having no political motive.) If you think “eager” is the wrong adjective here, feast your eyes on the graphic being featured at Brad Blog, churned out with such amazing speed that it seems to have come from some sort of template. Skim the post while you’re there, too. Turns out that even if this isn’t the fault of conservative America in toto, it kind of is.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Tamara Brawley?

bayview on September 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM

I had no idea census workers went around in off years.

fronclynne on September 24, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Did he have a David Carradine noose on him?

WWS on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

The Associated Press is the smear artist here.

Mark1971 on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

we do? just how SO?

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Did he work for ACORN doinf census work? Maybe he wasjust “let go” by them. Maybe FED meant “Former Employee Department”

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM

we do? just how SO?

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Bradblog says so. Bradblog irons his sheets twice a day. Bradblog is zuul.

fronclynne on September 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM

doing

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM

The body had advanced decomposition. What was mistaken for a scrawling of “fed” was probably a tattoo. The source was probably a beat cop who saw the body for 10 minutes and heard others speculating.

Rocks on September 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Geez..it’s Kentucky. People died in Kentucky for just being in Kentucky

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM

TamaraTawana Brawley?.

bayview on September 24, 2009 at 9:58 PM

fify

Doorgunner on September 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Anyone ever notice you never, never, never meet anyone from Kentucky on any of these political blogs

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM

heck, this fella could have been hung and still have a red crayon in one hand, the thumb of the other hand stuck in the noose, and a receipt for the rope in his wallet and the left would STILL seize on it …

ted c on September 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM

The Colonel…er I mean

Bush killed him!

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Did you notice they made Malkin in the boldest font on that noose graphic, rivaled only with Limbaugh and Beck?

That’s an accomplishment right there.

Aristotle on September 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Uhh…what part of Kentucky we talkin about?

At any rate, I can’t imagine what a good ole boy has against a census worker. I mean, anti-government sure, but a Census worker? That’s kind of weak.

Rightwingguy on September 24, 2009 at 10:07 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Only if the guy had blackface, falsies and an ACORN T-shirt on.

Wait. Is that racist?
Wait. Do I care?

Doorgunner on September 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM

NY magazine is implying that Rush, Michael Savage, Fox News, WND & Michelle Bachmann caused this. I guess since the media no longer does real news stories they are bored and are working on the New Aesop’s fables. Could you imagine if the victim wasn’t white?

njpat on September 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Why don’t you go to Hazzard or Clay county and find out? I dare you

utebell on September 24, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I suspect a lot of blog posts from the past 24 hours will be going down the memory hole. Get the screen caps while you still can.

The most ridiculous one suggested since it was around September 12, it had something to do with the tea party.

Talk about nuts.

JammieWearingFool on September 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM

You may be on to something…
Btw, isn’t Humana based in Kentucky?

billy on September 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Did he have a David Carradine noose on him?

WWS on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

My thoughts too. The mother said something i thought was strange like she had a idea about what happened but was letting the fbi finish the investigation. Went back to the Fox story but the updated version does not have that quote.

Greed on September 24, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Humana is based in Louisville

utebell on September 24, 2009 at 10:12 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

By we, I assume you mean you and your fellow brain-damaged, lefty race-baiting, Obama-cultists…in fact, you don’t know that, at this point, or much of anything else…ever. You prove it every time you post.

AUINSC on September 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM

First, Afrolib – Grow up. Your brand of rhetorical bombthrowing is unappreciated at the best of times. That goes double when there’s a corpse involved. If you have an argument, present it, preferably with evidence to support. Otherwise, you can sod right off.

Second, does anyone remember when cops collected evidence, a jury trial was held, and the press filed a story – in that order? Good times, good times. Unlike now with the press collecting evidence, editors selecting what’s (with)held, and the cops filing stories. I think I’ve seen more cops on the news answering presser questions than I’ve seen walking or driving a beat in the last few years.

Blacksmith on September 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

No we don’t you must have a mouse in your pocket.

sonnyspats1 on September 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Kind of like how everyone knew that far right lunatics were responsible for the Obama as Hitler signs at Tea Parties, that were in reality carried by the far left La Rouche Democrats?

Or kind of like MSNBC’s report on proof of white racism being evidenced by someone carrying an assault rifle to a Tea Party, even though MSNBC deliberately cut the footage to hide the fact that the person exercising their 2nd Amendment right was an African American?

jjrakman on September 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM

How come Clay and Hazzard County get to have all the fun. Its not fair.

mkm19602000 on September 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM

When I first heard this story, I thought “moonshine”. (Guess that dates me.)

texabama on September 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Interesting that this is in the news today, as I just murdered the census worker who’s been hounding me… murdered her with facts!

I refused to do the “American Community Survey” no matter how many times they sent it in the mail, or follow-up letters telling me “it’s the law”. Then I dodged this broad 3 times when she knocked on my door over the last month, but I finally answered today.

I told her I’m 27 and live alone and that’s all she needs. She was some snotty little smart ass who thought arguing with me would be a good idea. Lucky for her she’s like all delusional liberals and doesn’t even realize when someone is totally wasting them, otherwise she’d have left in tears. She just kept talking about how I am already paying (with tax dollars) so why won’t I help get accurate stats. I kept saying I’d rather the states and local deal with this stuff, not the corrupt Washington machine that knows nothing and thinks it’s wise to do things like spend $2 million to teach Chinese hookers to drink responsibly. She tried to come back with “well do you know any state/locals doing this?” No, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be the way it is.

It was just one thing after another, for like 15 minutes with this dolt. Everything she lobbed up, I smacked out of the park and she (in classic lib form) would just throw something else out. It’s the old keep throwing crap against the wall, hoping something will stick.

Towards the end, she told me that maybe I should get in to politics then. I said I didn’t care to because it corrupts people. She said well then you can’t change anything, and you can’t bitch. I said “I’m not bitching”, she condescendingly laughed and said “Yes you are”, to which I said “Um, you came to my door”. What a moron. You come to my door, won’t leave and accept that I’m not doing your stupid survey, and then act like I’m complaining… I’m responding to your idiocy, lady.

After about 15 minutes she began to realize it was time to leave, and after all of her talk about statistics and how important they are, etc. I said “I’d much rather be watching Glenn Beck on DVR right now than talking about these stats”. I just thought it would be a nice touch because the hatred lefties have for Beck undoubtedly had her driving home infuriated.

RightWinged on September 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM

When I first heard this story, I thought “moonshine”. (Guess that dates me.)

texabama on September 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Oh that is still going on all over KY. I get mine from a guy who makes some real good stuff real cheap

utebell on September 24, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Suicide? Really, it’s not ruled out? Seems too much foul play for that to still be a possibility. Then again, the whole “fed” on his chest being a wishy washy part of the story is odd too.

Perplexing.

anuts on September 24, 2009 at 10:19 PM

(c) there were unspecified “errors” in the original AP story.

That is an AP trademark. They put the story out, get people believing their b.s., tomorrow they’ll print a retraction that noone will read….their mission is accomplished.

When they write about Sarah P, they sometimes have to print 3 and 4 retractions of the same article.

njpat on September 24, 2009 at 10:19 PM

And don’t forget, most of the TV newscasters read right from the AP…so their lies get wide spread quick.

njpat on September 24, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Hmm.. why wasn’t my comment posted?

RightWinged on September 24, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Or like the man said, maybe he saw something he wasn’t supposed to see…. like a meth lab, or a pot farm, or a still…

Lots of reasons folks end up dead in certain parts of the country, and none of it has anything to do with politics.

AW1 Tim on September 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Maybe he was a big-time Kevin Federline(sp?) fan?

fronclynne on September 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM

AW1 Tim on September 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Or a NO TRESSPASSING sign….some folks get kinda upset when you step on their property.

njpat on September 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Afrolib, you are still Alive, my old friend…

But like a poor Marksman, you keep missing the target!

GunRunner on September 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM

W. T. F. ???????????????????????????????

Who on the right has said anything even REMOTELY close to this?

Memo to the left: the only people making any of this opposition to Obama about race are YOU sorry bastards. Take your strawman racist bullshit and stick it where the sun don’t shine.

Purple Fury on September 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Hmm.. why wasn’t my comment posted?

RightWinged on September 24, 2009 at 10:21 PM

You can’t sell that brand of wiener pills here?

fronclynne on September 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM

When I first heard this story, I thought “moonshine”. (Guess that dates me.)

texabama on September 24, 2009 at 10:16 PM

It was my first thought too – you know, corn-mash, ‘revenuers’, whiskey rebellion… of course the young’ns wouldn’t have heard about such troubles in the new republic, because this story would have provided some needed context to Iraq…

phreshone on September 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM

njpat on September 24, 2009 at 10:20 PM

“Don’t blame us for spreading lies, we were just reading what the AP wrote…” – MSM

Seven Percent Solution on September 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Duh, in the story linked above.”I have my own ideas, but I can’t say them out loud. Not at this point,” she said. “Right now, what I’m doing, I’m just waiting on the FBI to come to some conclusion.” I wonder if is about a fetish (hint David Carradine) It could just as easy have been drug dealers. But i would think that would bring allot of heat to their area and would want to avoid that.

Greed on September 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Did he happen onto somebody’s still? Someone thought he was a revenuer – atf – a fed? There are plenty of things going on deep in the Kentucky hollers, but if he was from the area, he would be aware of his surroundings. Why would he be by himself if this was census related, shouldn’t they be sent out in pairs? If they were sent out in pairs, and it is census related who would be his partner?

FED means something different where he was found, than it would mean to urban or suburban dwellers.

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Colonel Mustard (angry ex-military, recruited into militia group)

In the double-wide (typical white-trash hillbilly)

With a rope (favored item for racist rednecks)

Case closed.

-MSM/Janet Napolitano/Eric Holder

red winger on September 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

We all know some far right lunatic was behind this.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Seriously, do you ever engage in any argument here? What is your purpose? Why come to a discussion if not to discuss?

anuts on September 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

This story really brings back the “drive by media” sterotype.

They drove by..did their shooting..and will apologize tomorrow. All the while the damage is done and can’t be undone!

Don’t forget that most news readers are liberals by admission!

Rndguy on September 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I.e.: liberals.

logis on September 24, 2009 at 10:28 PM

red winger on September 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

LMAO!!

njpat on September 24, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Huh Voter Fraud, I hear there is a lot of that going around especially in Afghanistan. LOL!

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM

AW1 Tim on September 24, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Witness Chicago.

Bishop on September 24, 2009 at 10:30 PM

You mean we did a 230 post headline for nothing?

davidk on September 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Hung from a tree with 20 stab wounds in his back. Worst case of suicide we ever saw.

I’m taking it he’s not black? Otherwise this would be reported as a ‘lynching’ no matter what the evidence or lack thereof, and no matter that more white outlaws and innocents have been lynched in this country historically than black. It’s racist not to call it a lynching if he’s black.

starboardhelm on September 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM

anuts on September 24, 2009 at 10:26 PM

The fact i just said something every fair minded American is thinking is now a taboo on this blog. Cons need to grow up.

This is what happens when you let clown Becky spill his vitriol and conspiracy theories unchecked. What a shame. I pray for the man’s family.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Look at this comment to the last link article.

As new census data would be directly relevant to recent voting outcomes, this really does seem closer to the mark than generalized Fed hatred. But we shall see.

Oh yes we shall see.

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM

According to the indictment, these alleged criminal actions affected the outcome of federal, local, and state primary and general elections in 2002, 2004, and 2006. The indictment accused the defendants of the following criminal actions.

Those indicted include a Circuit Court Judge, the school superintendent, the County Clerk, and an election officer (as well as other locals). That trial is currently set for early next year, though they’re in the middle of discovery right now, with the defendants trying to get the grand jury testimony.

In other words, in Clay County, the federal government is in the middle of prosecuting a number of top county officials for completely corrupting the voting system.

While there’s no more reason to believe Sparkman’s death is connected to this case than that it is connected to Bachmann’s inflammatory statements, it should at least caution us against leaping to conclusions. There may well be very localized reasons why people in Clay County don’t want the federal government going door-to-door.

All Politics is Local GRIN.

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Was that an Oak tree? Maybe he was having sex with the Acorns and it just got outta control.

Kini on September 24, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Wasn’t monshiners.

You wouldn’t have a body if they had done it.

davidk on September 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Wasn’t monshiners.

You wouldn’t have a body if they had done it.

davidk on September 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Good point nobody was trying to hide anything he was supposed to be found the way he was found for a purpose?

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM

True davidk, true. Damn meth heads.

mkm19602000 on September 24, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Watch the Kentucky jibes here, folks. I’m from Kentucky. Living in it right now. In fact, I’m in Louisville, home of Humana, and I’ve got lots of friends who work for it.

So, yes, Jeff in WI, there are Kentuckians who post on political blogs.

Gottafang on September 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I guess this means we should all turn ourselves in. I mean, we all stood there and took turns stringing him up, right?

Obviously.

ThePrez on September 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I live in Belleville and hadn’t heard this story. I’ve been in Texas for work. My guess is that attack was probably racially motivated. Belleville West is really East Saint Louis East. Bad blood all around that area. I hate when my hometown makes the national news for crap like this.

Big John on September 24, 2009 at 10:44 PM

starboardhelm on September 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Liberals believe that every member of the racial group responsible for killing most black people should all be hung by their necks until dead.

Whenever liberals start screaming about “the road to racial justice,” I never try to follow along. I just jump right to the end and laugh at them from the other side of the finish line.

logis on September 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Watch the Kentucky jabs here, folks. I’m from Kentucky. Living in it right now. In fact, I’m in Louisville, home of Humana, and I’ve got lots of friends who work for it.

So, yes, Jeff in WI, there are Kentuckians who post on political blogs.

Gottafang on September 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM

And we sometimes have to post things twice. Accidentally, o course.

Gottafang on September 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM

And we need to watch our typing. OF course.

Gottafang on September 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Hey, maybe they were just noting that he was fed before he was brutally murdered.

Big John on September 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Fake hate crimes are all the rage, but most fake victims of fake hate crimes just damage their own property. If this turns out to be a fake hate crime slash suicide, that’s pretty damned hard core.

Xrlq on September 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Why would a liberal want to come in here and hang out with all us who are responsible for this. Guilty by association A$$hat.

kahall on September 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Obviously.

ThePrez on September 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM

You have to understand how the Communist mind works. There is no such concept as the “individual.” Liberals see the world solely in terms of racial and social collectives.

It’s not that we disagree with them about any specific issue. The two worldviews are so utterly inimical that there is simply no common ground for meaningful communication.

logis on September 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM

You say ‘fair’. That is a word that has no business in any kind of murder investigation. I understand that you are using it to describe what you believe to be the kind of people who have their minds made up about a case that no one (outside of the police) knows anything about. It has even less business in that context.

Without knowing a shred of facts to the specifics of the case, would you call that ‘fair’, just, appropriate? Are you not even worried that your hasty generalization may lead to a false cause? And what is ironic is that is exactly what conspiracy theories are guilty of.

I pray for the man’s family.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Indeed. I’m sure you do.

anuts on September 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM

And if the initial rumors turn out to be false, no one will learn of it from the MSM.

Grafted on September 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM

why not go with the leftwing strategy: “The insane policies of President Bush Obama have sewn hate and discontent, and now he is harvesting a crop of blood and chaos. Indeed, it was President Bush Obama who murdered this person, and he, not this misguided and powerless activist, should be called into account for the blood on his hands.”

eh on September 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM

eh on September 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Xrlq on September 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Fake… but accurate.

mankai on September 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM

I don’t think it was a hate crime but I also don’t think he got in the position he was found by himself.

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Meanwhile, leftwing protesters are rioting and engaged in violence in Pittsburgh.

I blame Olbermann.

SteveMG on September 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

It won’t make any difference what they find now, the story has been written and will be repeated at every opportunity. Poor guy, I am sure he didn’t do anything to deserve being infamous.

Cindy Munford on September 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

This http://thecloud.crimethinc.com/images/g20/g20b.jpg
is what happens at the Pittsburgh G20 Summit when you let liberal clowns Becky spill histheir vitriol and conspiracy theories unchecked. What a shame. I pray for the man’s familyAmerica.

Afrolib on September 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM

FIFY

Doorgunner on September 24, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Grafted on September 24, 2009 at 10:52 PM

And why should it matter? We have been told in this thread that ‘fair’ minded Americans already know who has responsibility, dare I say complicity, in this.

anuts on September 24, 2009 at 10:57 PM

The Census Bureau has not yet asked anyone any questions about their lives. The only project so far ( other than canvassing group residences ) is ‘address canvassing’, where the ‘enumerator’ gets a GPS ‘map spot’ for each residence.

No questions are asked of any residents, but they are given a notice that the CB does not share any information with any other agency

To get the ‘map spot’ though, the enumerator must get close to the front door of the residence. That could give some people the Wrong Idea…..

Janos Hunyadi on September 24, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Normally, suicides like this take place in the closet of an oriental hotel.

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM

This most definitely is an ideologically slanted article from the AP. Check out the last line.

“Even as illustrated in town hall meetings today, there is a distinct hostility in a large segment of the population toward people who work for their government,” Ruch said.

Even if the details of the murder are as reported by the AP, there’s no reason to bring town hall protesters into this.

NukeRidingCowboy on September 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM

Well if he was supposed to be a message to someone I expect they got the message, it’s all over the news.

Dr Evil on September 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM

eh on September 24, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Hmm… Or how about: “we are creating more Islamist American terrorists murderers by our foreign domestic policies.”

anuts on September 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM

The Colonel…er I mean

Bush killed him!

Jeff from WI on September 24, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Were you about to defame Colonel Sanders????

Daggett on September 24, 2009 at 11:10 PM

If they did some actual research, you know actually did their jobs,they’d know more about the history of the area, particularly Marijuana growing, guess that doesn’t fit their agenda quite as well as blaming this on Beck and others.

ohellno on September 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I had no idea census workers went around in off years.

fronclynne on September 24, 2009 at 9:59 PM

They’re NEVER supposed to go around. Every 10 years the census is supposed to be done by mail.

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Where are the trolls now?

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Self-hating Fed?

I don’t know why this incident is more common place.

Do us all a favor you GS-sers.

David2.0 on September 24, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2009 at 11:20 PM

The US Census has ALWAYS been taken ‘in person’ by a live dude asking other live persons several questions.

It was never done by mail. There was no USPS of USPO until 1847 and the first census was in 1790

Janos Hunyadi on September 24, 2009 at 11:32 PM

So, yes, Jeff in WI, there are Kentuckians who post on political blogs.

Gottafang on September 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I don’t know if I would call Louisville a part of Kentucky anymore than I would call Atlanta a part of Georgia, but for the sake of argument I won’t dispute your claim. Let em say all the want about Kentucky, and hopefully the bad rep will keep away the economic refugees from liberal northeastern states.

DFCtomm on September 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM

ohellno on September 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Why should the government care? One civil servant dead means one person comes off Obama’s unemployment stats.

Besides, they’re getting the data they want. All they have to do is plug in the points where the bodies are found, and eventually they’ll map out all the gang territories perfectly.

logis on September 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Here’s the deal: If this was a LEGITIMATE hanging the Feds would have rolled up the rednecks responsible for it already.

The fact that the Feds can’t find the OBVIOUS culprits means we have a guy who hated his life and wanted to make a final, pathetic political statement.

David2.0 on September 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Conservatives don’t seem to have a “template” for taking on the Left’s lunatic rush to judgment and double standard. It just goes on and on and on.

rrpjr on September 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Maddow had the ex trooper who warned the Census worker about this area on her show today. The guy warned him, not about some Beck watching Manchurian Protester, but about roads, they are much narrower and not as safe. The ex trooper also said that most people out there don’t even get phone service, get that video Allah. He made it sound like cable doesn’t go there, forget FIOS, they are probably doing chores and hunting or gathering food, and then there is also the drug guys.

LevStrauss on September 24, 2009 at 11:55 PM

DFCtomm on September 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Indeed, we’re generally hated by the rest of the state. We have to beg like winos to get any kind of state funding for anything, and we’re home to the UPS shipping hub, Humana, GE Consumer Products Division, two Ford plants, the world’s most famous horse race, and dozens of national conventions, all of which bring in tax revenue for the state.

Gottafang on September 25, 2009 at 12:09 AM