ObamaCare just like the Post Office after all!

posted at 1:36 pm on September 24, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama tried to convince us that a public option would not compete unfairly against private insurers in the marketplace. Oh, if government subsidized a public option, it would certainly compete unfairly, but Obama assured us that the public option would need no such subsidies.  In fact, Obama argued, it would look a lot like the Post Office:

Now, the only thing that I have said is that having a public option in that menu would provide competition for insurance companies to keep them honest.

Now, I recognize, though, you make a legitimate — you raise a legitimate concern. People say, well, how can a private company compete against the government? And my answer is that if the private insurance companies are providing a good bargain, and if the public option has to be self-sustaining — meaning taxpayers aren’t subsidizing it, but it has to run on charging premiums and providing good services and a good network of doctors, just like any other private insurer would do — then I think private insurers should be able to compete. They do it all the time. (Applause.)

I mean, if you think about — if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It’s the Post Office that’s always having problems. (Laughter.)

Guess who’s getting a big federal bailout from Democrats in Congress?

Democrats moved Thursday to give special relief to the financially strapped Postal Service, which would be allowed to defer $4 billion in payments due at the end of this month to cover retirement benefits for its employees.

Republicans protested the bailout but made no significant effort to block the provision, which has now been attached to a stop-gap spending bill slated to come before the House and Senate in the next week.

Proponents of the language argued that the House has previously endorsed equivalent relief for the Postal Service, which faces a $5.4 billion payment to the retirement fund at the end of this month. House and Senate Appropriations Committee staff said the language now would reduce that payment to $1.4 billion, helping the Postal Service deal with its cash problems but also exposing the government at least temporarily to the $4 billion difference.

Not only have Democrats offered a huge bailout to the Post Office, they have attached it to their continuing resolution that will fund the government after the end of the month.  That makes it almost impossible to defeat, as Republicans would have to shut down the government over the issue — and with health care and cap-and-trade still on the table, they will want to save their political capital to block the trillions in new spending rather than the billions.  The Senate GOP can’t block it anyway, as budget bills are not subject to filibusters.

Since Obama himself offered the USPS as the model of the public option, we can point to this as the inevitable result of a government program in a private market.  When it fails or runs over its revenue, the government will inevitably act to subsidize it.  The public option will be no different at all in this regard.

Comments

But that was like two weeks ago! You voters were supposed to have short attention spans….

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Post Office is in trouble because of unreasonable pension demands placed upon it by the union and the federal government.

lorien1973 on September 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Can they just withhold their vote on it? Don’t stop it, but do not put a GOP stamp on it.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Postmaster went to Congress last month – as he always does – to beg them to drop some of those demands so it wouldn’t require a bailout. Congress, of course, said no. And here we are.

lorien1973 on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I assume the political ad is being written produced.

Editor’s note – it clearly wrote itself.

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Are Post Office jobs green jobs? Will they be able to do colonoscopies when he starts closing hospitals?

seven on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

lorien1973 on September 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM

All levels of government (federal, state, local) are in trouble because of unreasonable pension demands placed upon them by the unions.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Epic fail = public option.
This is such a good idea, oh where do I begin extolling the virtues of such a plan?
/sarc

Badger40 on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Our local post office is working on ending all mail delivery to homes and businesses. They want everyone to rent a box and pick up all mail.

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I question the timing…

D2Boston on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Netflix Saturday delivery stimulus package.

NickelAndDime on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

The USPS comparison was maybe the dumbest thing President Obama said during the entire debate – which is remarkable, considering the massive list of stupid things you have to choose from.

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

The Government needs to get out of the Snail-Mail business.

Leave it to private industry who want to make a profit.

portlandon on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Interesting dity from MediaMatters

lyfsatrip on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

They want everyone to rent a box and pick up all mail.

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

There are people on my rural route that only get their mail 2 days/week.
UPS comes to our area regularly, but FedEx avoids us in SW ND like the plague.
I wouldn’t mind using UPS-it’s how I get most everything.

Badger40 on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Thank goodness for the bailout, because an ineffecient entity that cannot support its own operations, provides jobs, and sucks resources from more productive uses is more beneficial to us all.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

How will ever sign up for a new credit card?

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 1:44 PM

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I complained about them missing deliveries on some days. The supervisor’s response: “We are not obligated to deliver mail.”

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Obama himself offered the USPS as the model of the public option

Foot, meet mouth.

Jack, meet a$$.

VibrioCocci on September 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM

If ObamaCare is like the USPO.. do I have to do a certified copy of proof that my doctor got the memo on NOT amputating my leg?

We shall see!

upinak on September 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM

lorien1973 on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I like the current Postmaster General. He seems like he genuinely wants to reform the USPS to make it viable, though he hasn’t has a whole lot of success in his 8 years there.

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

I don’t know how anyone could stand to work for the Post Office until retirement. I lasted 2 months, worst job evah!

farright on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Badger40 on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM
Our mail carriers are some of the best, they go way beyond there required duties around here. I think if you like your carrier you should be able to keep your carrier.

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

The only thing that will save us from the administration’s malevolence is its incompetence.

rbj on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

And this little dity too. I so enjoy good debates and “transparency”..don’t you?

lyfsatrip on September 24, 2009 at 1:47 PM

lyfsatrip on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

MediaMatters can be counted on with a near certainty to distort the facts around whatever they are ‘reporting’ on, so you’ll need to provide a little context if you expect people to click on a blind link to that sewage pit.

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Government-run health care: the efficiency of the DMV, the cost-effectiveness of the Post Office, the compassion of the IRS.

pdigaudio on September 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM

The RINO’s are just as complicit in this latest bail-out of the Post Office. Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin and Rick Perry are correct – throw all the bums out. And if it takes shutting the Fed. Gov. down to stop this Post Office Union Pension bailout – hey, shut ‘er down!

Cinday Blackburn on September 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Interesting dity from MediaMatters

lyfsatrip on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Absolutely amazing isn’t it? A couple people with $3000 who met on Facebook reveal some pretty despicable actions by ACORN, and Media Matters uses this incident to attack the typical “bad guys” like Beck to raise money! Mention the right enemies and you can get people to do anything, I guess.

I love “Remember that ACORN has not been charged with any wrongdoing.”

kc8ukw on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

WHAT?

So the Dems will just throw more funds at this than look at ways to fix it? Give me my money back….Your mis-using the funds I provide to you from my weekly pay check!

BigMike252 on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Of course, with the “pay-go” rules of Nancy’s House, this means ‘cost cutting’ someplace else.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

GarandFan on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

seven on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM
I think colonoscopies fall under the category of brown jobs.

hip shot on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I couldn’t believe Odumbass said that… We should privitize the PO…

CCRWM on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Then what the heck are they obligated to do except beg Congress for more money?

I’m not sure I want to hear the answer.

Knucklehead on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

As a former postal service employee, I can testify to the rank incompetence of both the unions and supervision. -_- The actual workers are okay, if they’re just left alone to do their damn jobs!

Orange Doorhinge on September 24, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I think you mentioned that a while back, and my jaw almost hit the floor.

“Neither snow nor rain not heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds, if they feel like it.”

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM

lyfsatrip on September 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I love this “journalistic standards” meme too. I guess when they couldn’t deny the facts they were reporting, they had to go after the methods. Just shows you how far people will go to avoid having to say “we were in the wrong.”

kc8ukw on September 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Another reason to support less mail delivery, less political mail. I think political mail has way surpased credit card soliticiations for me.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 1:52 PM

After being inside the tent of the Post Office for many years, I could supply ample examples of incompetent management;
But the bottom line is: The Federal government is totally incapable of running anything with any fiscal responsibility!
But, they still continue to sell their expertise!

Cybergeezer on September 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

The lack of coverage of this clip still pisses me off. Not only did the media not spend much or any time on it, but the late night shows ignored it when they could have massacred Obama with it. Here’s the “smart” POTUS we’ve all been waiting for telling us “Hey, you know how the government run post office sucks compared to UPS and FedEx? Well, that’s what I intend to do to health care in America!”

RightWinged on September 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM

OT but speaking of credit cards… Citi dropped us about 6 mos ago and now lately they sent us new cards and those check??? Anyone else?

CCRWM on September 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM

The post office is in trouble because like all government failures, they fail to adapt to real world changes.

tarpon on September 24, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Are Post Office jobs green jobs? seven on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Postmen deliver about a pound of dead tree remains to me daily.

So… no.

Akzed on September 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Then what the heck are they obligated to do except beg Congress for more money?

I’m not sure I want to hear the answer.

Knucklehead on September 24, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I don’t know. I was afraid to ask.

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM

OT: Benjamin Netanyahu just delivered a moving and powerful speech at the U.N. He laid into the U.N. and Ahmadinejad. As he was re-emphasizing Israel’s desire to live in peace side by side with the Palestinians and as he said that this goal could be achieved if only the Palestinians finally recognizes Israel’s right to exist, the one Palestinian present for the speech got out of her seat and left.

There will never be peace, only war and bloodshed.

I think Netanyahu threw down the gauntlet today, making it clear if the world community, in the form of the U.N., thumbs it’s nose at Israel and sits idly by while Iran builds nukes, Israel has no other option but to strike Iran before they eradicate the Jews from the face of the earth.

Oh, and not once did Netanyahu talk about himself or how great he was.

fogw on September 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM

Obama is the biggest Liar the world has ever known. The ease with which this administration lies is scary but will be punished.

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Megadittos! A couple of years ago, our carrier was on his route and walked up to a house only discover that it was on fire. He ran in rescued the homeowner, saving his life. Talk about going way beyond!

RushBaby on September 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I was in my local post office to mail a package to Norway an it was PACKED (the post office, not the package, which was also packed), with at least 20 people waiting in line for 3 clerks. Both of the two POs I frequent are like that every single time I walk in, including the passport desk when I was doing that a few months ago.

How could they NOT be making money?

Bob's Kid on September 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I will use this bailout as a basis for of protest and not using the USPS. IN turn, I won’t fret about using e-cards instead of sending out Christmas cards this year.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM

fourdeucer on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

You are right. My carrier had a vehicle problem (they have to buy their own around here), and had to handle the repairs. The carrier apologized about the slow delivery, the supervisor didn’t care.

Vashta.Nerada on September 24, 2009 at 2:04 PM

How could they NOT be making money?

Bob’s Kid on September 24, 2009 at 2:03 PM

That’s the job of the Federal Reserve.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Oh, and not once did Netanyahu talk about himself or how great he was.

fogw on September 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I don’t get it. Is there some other world leader that can’t shut up about how ridiculously amazing he or she is?

“I’m President Obama and my dials go to eleventy.”

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Return to Sender: Nancy Pelosi ate my mailbox.

Rovin on September 24, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Where are all the libs on threads such as these?

Here, let me see if I can coax a few out:

“healthcare, healthCARE, HEALTHCAAAAAAARRREE”

Ok….set the bait and now we wait.

Bishop on September 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM

The Post Office is the perfect analogy for Government-run Health Care.

But hey, we’ll be lucky to get as good service from Obamy’s little scheme as we do from the Post Office.

The real analogies should be to the health care in the USSR, which you may recall, was constantly praised by the US media.

notagool on September 24, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Postmaster went to Congress last month – as he always does – to beg
//////
I can’t imagine going to congress to BEG for anything!Sickening!

ohiobabe on September 24, 2009 at 2:19 PM

seven on September 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I get it, Home Health Care!!!

barnone on September 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM

That’s the job of the Federal Reserve.

WashJeff on September 24, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Bob's Kid on September 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 PM

As long as the USPS employees are unionized, the USPS will be in the red. My father retired from the USPS and I have a brother and sister-in-law that work for the USPS. It pisses me off to no end every time I have to listen to them complain that they are worked so hard and get paid so little. They will retire from the USPS before they are 60 and will have retirement benefits better than I have from my employer…and they don’t see anything wrong with it.

belad on September 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM

End the post office first class mail monopoly and put it out of its misery.

brak on September 24, 2009 at 2:26 PM

*shaking the head*

another day, another bailout

cmsinaz on September 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM

The media in this country needs to be investigated. WE MUST STOP THEM. They are complicit in the destruction of our country. Seriously.

marklmail on September 24, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Anybody here look in your mailbox recently? Over 90% of the federal mail I receive every day is junk mail. And I personally mail about two letters a month.

(Well, actually, I can’t remember the last time I sent a real life horse-and-buggy-style “letter.” There’s just a couple of bills I haven’t bothered to set on automatic payment yet.)

The Post office doesn’t get paid by, or serve, the people; all it does is get kickbacks from the companies who are trying to shove crap I don’t want down my throat.

And this is Obama’s “glorious vision” of how America’s Socialized medicine system is going to get funded.

logis on September 24, 2009 at 3:08 PM

“Obama “Goes Postal” on Health Care Plan; Appoints “Strong-Willed” Former Mail Worker to Head Health Services Panel”: http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/08/obama-goes-postal-on-health-care-plan.html

Mervis Winter on September 24, 2009 at 3:08 PM

While I was at the March on DC on 9/12, I filled out a hold mail card at my local post office and handed it to the employee at the counter. When I returned a week later and went to pick up my mail, the clerk told me they had no mail being held. They asked me to come back two days later when my normal mail carrier (who was on vacation) would return. When I made the second trip to the P.O. and found no mail, the supervisor called the mail carrier who said he had been delivering mail right along and didn’t know there was a hold mail directive. (Turns out my neighbor saw the box overflowing and started taking in my mail.) Outright incompetence!
Now fast forward to govt health care: No I’m sorry Mr. Smith, the blood for your surgery is not here because we never received instructions. Sorry you just have to die.

Christian Conservative on September 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Christian Conservative on September 24, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Seriously, you think you’re going to hear the word “sorry” from a government official?

Oh well, this won’t last for long. Optimism is a disease, and Socialism is the cure.

logis on September 24, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Not fighting this is GREAT strategy in the long run.

It provides an incredibly convenient refutation to BO’s rhetoric about the Public Option being just like the Post Office in not needing subsidies.

If not fighting a $4B give-away that was going to pass anyway lets you kill one for a couple of Trillion, you have a great return on investment.

OBQuiet on September 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM

This not the USPS that I have known.

whosh unda da bus!

jukin on September 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM

You know…

… when you can print your own money, this gig isn’t that half bad!

Seven Percent Solution on September 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Hey Ed,
I’m a seventy-one year olde geezer.

My employer just recently dropped me in June this year, from their medical insurance plan since I work only [part time] less than 30 hours per week.

Since I’m on Medicare and an olde Army vet [Thank the Good Lord for the VA]…I can get my “meds” for only $8/perscripition/copay!

I can’t imagine how difficult it is for some seniors on only Medicare…

Cuttin’ their pills in half…
Buyin’ food for their “cat” rather than heart medicine…

Eddy, can you just imagine that…?
Cuttin’ their pills in half…!

Olde soldier sends…!

Geezer on September 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM

If started it can never go out of business

Not quite fair competition

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Man’s responsibility toward your fellow man…
CW!