Finally: Senators shouting at each over other ObamaCare now

posted at 5:17 pm on September 24, 2009 by Allahpundit

Actually, it’s just Kyl who’s shouting. I wonder if this is (a) anger fueled by his secret right-wing racism towards Barack Obama, (b) frustration at having to suppress his homicidal conservative urges, or (c) a combination of the two. I’m sure Maureen Dowd will tell us this weekend.

The new spin on the left, incidentally, is that the rift between Blue Dogs and progressives is healing and that the glorious boondoggle will be passed by Thanksgiving. Funny thing, though: The evidence seems to point the other way, with both sides dug in, hostile to Baucus’s compromise plan, and flirting with disaster in waiting until after the off-year election results in early November that might spook Blue Dogs even more. Why, it’s almost as if the Democratic grassroots is trying to will a bill into being by the sheer force of its spin, replete with inane poll interpretations in which they claim, in all seriousness, that Republicans will be the ones who suffer in the midterms if ObamaCare implodes. To borrow a phrase from a now-famous newsman: Keep f***ing that chicken, nutroots.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Wow, Max Baucus just made the all galaxy first string a**hole team.

Dukehoopsfan on September 25, 2009 at 9:14 AM

To my colleagues here at HotAir:
Here is a primo example of a freshman Senator who’s having his little arm twisted by the comedy team of Max and Harry to get health care done. Take note of his fallacious strawman argument which I replied to him is the “Do Nothing” strawman and subsequently fails to appropriately characterize the nature of the debate.

Heroes and Patriots out there should contact Mark Warner –the Fallacious US Senator from Virginia– and let him know what you think of his arguing “tactics”—weak, if you ask me.

******************************
Yesterday, I joined nine of my freshman colleagues to discuss the very real consequences if we fail to reform our nation’s broken health care system.

As the newest members of the U.S. Senate, my colleagues and I rose to make these points: the rising cost of health care is stretching family budgets and hurting American businesses. And if we do nothing, our health care system will explode our national debt.

Though many have raised important, valid questions about some of the health care proposals, I believe it was important to note that doing nothing is both misguided and irresponsible.

Doing nothing means doubling the health care premium costs for American families. Doing nothing means exploding the federal deficit. And doing nothing means that American companies will be less competitive in a global market and our small businesses will continue to face significant challenges in meeting the needs of employees and their families.

As this discussion continues, I intend to work with my Democratic and Republican colleagues to make sure any health reform proposal ultimately drives down the cost of health care for Virginia’s families and businesses.

Mark Warner

ted c on September 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Dukehoopsfan: I agree. That smirk on Baucus’ face betrayed a total disdain for Kyl and the point he was trying to make. I learned that if you do not like the point your opponent is making (tort reform), shut him down.

allstonian on September 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM

Politicians. Baucus worries about wasting time, but spends more time than Kyl’s point complaining about wasting time.

Makes my ears bleed.

NickelAndDime on September 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM

I’ve listened to about 10 hours of this stuff so far going back and forth to work. I will admit to having had some initial optimism for the Chairman’s bill — and then I read it. What a mess. And the way Baucus has alienated everyone associated with this has also surprised me — he’s being prickly, petty, defensive, and generally a jerk. He’s called a number of perfectly reasonable amendments “bizarre” — his favorite word lately — and it’s clear he didn’t consult adequately with his own side before issuing the mark.

The only thing more disappointing than Baucus has been Rockefeller’s empty-headed, free-floating mewling about various Republican amendments. “I can’t cite anything but I have a bad feeling about it,” that sort of thing. Jaysus on a pony, what a disgrace.

DrSteve on September 25, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Out of the two parties, the Democrats are the only ones who care about health care. It’s pretty obvious you and the Retardicans don’t.
Norman Blizter on September 24, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Apparently you missed the memo that this is now health care coverage reform. I certainly do not owe you a penny towards your lifestyle and will not pay to support you. If that outrages you I do not care, because I don’t consider you important enough to soothe. Your side has tried to overcome that attitude with sheer force of numbers, only it seems more people think like me. Go pound sand.

Chris_Balsz on September 25, 2009 at 10:38 AM

“I think that all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary descent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. We’ll I’m certainly not and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am!” – Monty Python.

shick on September 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM

I admit this is a subjective call, but I see NO shouting whatsoever. What I DO see is Kyl being interrupted as he tries to make a valid point. What I DO see is his justifiable ANGER at such interruptions.

I appreciate the poke at Dowd, though.

What I also DO see is a hotair blogger using the following language we commenters have been warned against:

“To borrow a phrase from a now-famous newsman: Keep f***ing that chicken, nutroots.”

Appears to me that you are fuelling the fire that you were trying to put out with your warnings on language and references to animals you made to commenters.

Yeah, I know, that warning was born of “trolls.”

Well, I guess it is your blog.

Sherman1864 on September 25, 2009 at 5:00 PM