The Ed Morrissey Show: Marco Rubio, Fausta Wertz

posted at 1:00 pm on September 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Today, on the Ed Morrissey Show (3 pm ET), we have a great show in store for you! In the first half, Fausta Wertz joins me to update us on the situation in Honduras. She’ll also bring us up to speed on Latin America in general. Fausta joins us on FaustaCam today, so be sure to get here on time!

In the second half, Florida’s House Speaker Marco Rubio will talk about his upcoming race for the US Senate. We’ll talk about Charlie Crist and his interim appointment for the seat, what Rubio thinks about the big issues of the moment, and what he’ll do to define himself in the Republican primary.

Now you can join the conversation in the chat room! Be sure to register at Ustream to participate in our raucous live-chat sessions. (And if the log-in prompt doesn’t come up in the chat box below, use this link instead.) Jazz Shaw of The Moderate Voice and The Monster moderate the chat, and they have Troll Gun Trivia Contest running before the show, for those who get there early — and are registered!

Want to see all episodes of The Ed Morrissey Show? Add the RSS feed to your reader and keep them handy!

Christmas season is over but you can still get great deals delivered to your door. Check out Ed’s Bookshelf or search for what you want:

Opening animation from TG Studios.

Comments

I hope I can get this at work. I am crazy about Mr. Rubio and hope he can beat Crist the squish.

Cindy Munford on September 23, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Rubio is the new face of the conservative movement. Keep an eye on him……….he’s going places. Charlie Crist sucks.

Cinday Blackburn on September 23, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I like Rubio and have contributed to his campaign but….

…I’m concerned about how involved with his campaign the Bush Family is.

NO MORE BUSHES in leadership in the GOP.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

You mean to tell me Senator George Lemieux isn’t running for re-relection? Shocking…

I hope Rubio trounces Crist in the primary.

Nothing would make me happier to see the RINO’s and the NRSC, who endorsed Christ before the primary, with egg on their face.

JohnBG on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Whoa, Rubio is one fine looking guy.

Lightswitch on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Fausta is the bestest!

Mr. Bingley on September 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Endoresement and a half

Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite (R-FL), who has been critical of what she has said is Crist’s attempts “to be all things to all people,” said Monday she thinks the GOP tide is turning in favor of Rubio.

“He is picking up a lot of steam with the recent victories from the straw polls. It is great to see momentum building for him,” she said.

Rep. Brown-Waite joins Rep Jeff Miller (R, FL-01) in endorsing Rubio over Crist.

Meanwhile, the half endorsement is from former Governor Jeb Bush (otherwise known as the popular Bush):

Jeb Bush whacks NRSC for endorsing Crist

Jeb Bush raised some eyebrows yesterday when he joined the conservative attack against the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) for endorsing Gov. Charlie Crist over conservative favorite Marco Rubio for Senate in Florida.

“I think [Rubio] should be given a chance,” Bush told the Lakewood ranch Republican Club. “I think that the idea that the national party would pick a winner a year and a half before an election is the wrong way to go.”

HT: Redstate

Wethal on September 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM

JohnBG on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

That guy (Lemieux) emails me all the time. Delete.

Cindy Munford on September 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I like Rubio and have contributed to his campaign but….

…I’m concerned about how involved with his campaign the Bush Family is.

NO MORE BUSHES in leadership in the GOP.

PappyD61 on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Jeb Bush is popular in Florida, and his son George Bush III is half-latino and HUGELY popular among the young latino activist communities in Florida.

That said, Marco is up against quite possibly one of the most powerful political organization in Florida. Crist already has the blessings of the GOP establishment and a vast warchest to boot.

Rubio has to find and secure every advantage he has. While his eloquence and his passion should really be enough to bring him over the top, unfortunately that isn’t so. Rubio will need funds to promote his message and popular, sympathetic messengers to convey it for him.

So far Rubio has Huck, Jim Demint and a couple others on board endorsing his campaign, getting Jeb and George Bush II I on there will definitely help.

Khorum on September 23, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I am excited! With Rubio, we can finally have a great conservative other than Jim DeMint in the senate. We must help Rubio get in!

cubachi on September 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

cubachi on September 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Jeff Sessions from Alabama is pretty good, too. He thought up one of the first procedural manuevers that slowed down Amnesty for Aliens to give time for people to know what was in the bill. DeMint did some great work, too.

I think the two of them thought up the final bit where they got Harry to vote on his own amendment, which sent the bill (on its third try) back to committee.

Wethal on September 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Whoa, Rubio is one fine looking guy.

Lightswitch on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

Yes he is. Hot Air should find excuses to post more photos of Rubio.

myrenovations on September 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Rubio = Obama an empty suit who will tell you whatever yuo want to hear but has no real record to back anything up. He was completely impotent all through the early stages of Florida’s budget crisis. He is an opportunistic hack. I will still vote for him if he wins, but I wont like it.

I would also say he would loose in the General but the Dems seem to have decided that they will sit this one out. If we are very lucky, Corrine Brown will run and have to resign from her district.

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:02 PM

He may as well be a corpse in a suit, but since his opponent supported and even campaigned for Obama’s porkulus disaster while still pretending to be a republican, you won’t just LIKE voting for Rubio, you will LOVE it.

Unless you think the greatest instance of generational theft in human history is something we can overlook due to Crist’s wonderful tan.

Khorum on September 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM

cubachi on September 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

I support Marco Rubio thru my blog voterubio2010.com

I just put up a schedule of events where he will be speaking. If you are in the area, attend and support him. He CAN win…
He is the real deal. Can’t wait to hear the interview. He is a great speaker and does not need a teleprompter.

Nelsa on September 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM

cubachi on September 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Rubio is very exciting, as is Jim DeMint. I’d put Tom Coburn on that list, too.

califcon on September 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Nelsa on September 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Yes, because he uses notecards (at least in every appearance I have seen him).

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Khorum on September 23, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I didnt agree with but I understood Crists reasoning.

View must be nice for Rubio sitting on the back-bench while Crist, facing a budget crisis partially due to Rubio’s abysmal tour as house speaker, had to make a decision.

Rubio can yap away like a little dog all he wants, he knows deep down that his time as house speaker was, at best, unremarkable and he has nothing but a corrupt protogee’s indictment to show for it.

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Yes, because he uses notecards (at least in every appearance I have seen him).
Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Where are the note cards during this fantastic speech?

He must have telescopic vision…. :)

Nelsa on September 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Love Marco Rubio. I wrote my rep, Ginny Browne Waite, to thank her for coming out for Rubio. She didn’t have to stick her neck out. I will register as a Repub this year just to I can vote for this guy. He gets it.

entropent on September 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM

I guess that’s why Crist has all that spare time on his hands to raise funds and attend a Burger King photo op. Yea! He’s real busy taking care of the state of Florida. NOT!!!

Chuck knows all about WHOPPERS. He keeps telling them every day.

Nelsa on September 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Chuck knows all about WHOPPERS. He keeps telling them every day.

Nelsa on September 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Nelsa on September 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Come the vote during the primaries next year I will be casting it for Marco Rubio and then in the general election. A better qualified person than Crist.

WileECoyote1952 on September 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Palin/Rubio 2012

Puts Axelrod and Co. into therapy overnight.

Sapwolf on September 23, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Yes, because he uses notecards (at least in every appearance I have seen him).

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I like cards too. It is not as scripted with cards as opposed to reading off a teleprompter.

Sapwolf on September 23, 2009 at 4:37 PM

A better qualified person than Crist.

WileECoyote1952 on September 23, 2009 at 4:04 PM