Mass layoffs jumped almost 25% in August

posted at 2:55 pm on September 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The jump in unemployment this August was no accident, and no fluke.  The Bureau of Labor Statistics found that mass layoff events, where a single employer lays off 50 or more employees, increased 24.7% from July, by far a high for this year.  Initial jobless claims also hit a high, giving an indication that the economy is far from recovery:

Employers took 2,690 mass layoff actions in August that resulted in the separation of 259,307 workers, seasonally adjusted, as measured by new filings for unemployment insurance benefits during the month, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Each action involved at least 50 persons from a single employer. The number of mass layoff events in August increased by 533 from the prior month, and the number of associated initial claims increased by 52,516. Over the year, the number of mass layoff events increased by 803, and associated initial claims increased by 70,356. Year-to-date mass layoff events (21,184) and initial claims (2,162,202) both recorded program highs through August. In August, 900 mass layoff events were reported in the manufacturing sector, seasonally adjusted, resulting in 93,892 initial claims. Over the  month, the number of manufacturing events increased by 279, and associated initial claims increased by 21,626. (See table 1.)

During the 21 months from December 2007 through August 2009, the total number of mass layoff events (seasonally adjusted) was 44,669, and the number of initial claims filed (seasonally adjusted) in those events was 4,556,636. (December 2007 was the start of a recession as designated by the National Bureau of Economic Research.)

The August plunge did not come from any one industry.  According to the BLS, seven of the 19 industry categories recorded their highest number of initial job-loss claimants this year.  Manufacturing took the biggest hit, accounting for 31% of all mass layoff events.

Until the unemployment numbers hit for August, the Obama administration had insisted that they had turned the corner on job losses.  Even afterward, they still claimed to expect that the labor market had stabilized.  This shows just the opposite.  Larger employers have accelerated layoffs, and that will have secondary impacts on local economies, forcing smaller employers to shed jobs as business declines.  Manufacturing losses mean less goods to push through the distribution chain.

It looks like we’re still declining in economic power.  The stimulus package has not kept mass layoffs from jumping substantially this summer, and now we will have to see whether that trend continues this month.  With initial jobless claims still averaging 563,000 for the past four weeks (new numbers will come out tomorrow), it doesn’t seem to be slowing down.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It begins.

pseudonominus on September 23, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Mamma mia.

lorien1973 on September 23, 2009 at 2:56 PM

WE SAVED THE ECONOMY. - Rahm Emmanuel (D), Obama Chief of Staff.

Good Lt on September 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

My coworker’s husband was laid off last Thursday, as was the rest of his construction crew.

A friend is losing the job he’s held for 30 years on September 30th.

ladyingray on September 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

go barry go! wow those looney toons at the U.N. while the country burns! :0)

moonbatkiller on September 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

How is that Keynes fella now, you pompous smart asses?

joeindc44 on September 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Hope and Change.

Whether you like it or not.

Whether we survive it, or not.

CPT. Charles on September 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM

America, you were warned.

flyfisher on September 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Need stocks? You’re good!

Need a job? You’re screwed!

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

But just think of the millions of jobs that were “saved.” Or was that “created.”?

AmericanUnderground on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Double dip? Pffft…we ain’t even hit bottom yet!

SouthernGent on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Gross dereliction of duty.

javamartini on September 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I have to laugh at conservatives who still seem to believe that the “stimulus” was intended to boost the economy and create jobs.

No wonder this country is in such deep sh*t.

Dave R. on September 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Trillions of dollars in Fed injections?

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Time for more TARP………..after we bailout the newspapers.

Priorities.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM

More mass layoffs to come. I’m hearing from a wide group of friends and family that their companies are gearing up for layoffs between NOW and January. These are big companies.

There is going to be a huge loss of tax revenue due to layoffs; how will the Democrats pay for Obamacare, fund social security???

TN Mom on September 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM

I guess ‘Hope and Change’ means rice and beans in Lib-speak.

thomasaur on September 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM

This is the very worst and most dangerous president ever.

rlwo2008 on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Suckers rally.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

This stuff aint no joke.A friend and i started a remodeling/painting/etc small biz 3 years ago.Hit the ground running,and never looked back.Worked 6 days a week most weeks to stay caught up.When the economic collapse hit last sept,we were a bit worried…but continued to stay busy,and line up more jobs.In Jan. when Obama was on Tv/Radio every day saying”This is the worst economy since the Great Depression” non stop,calls stopped coming in…and we started getting cancellations..for the first time.Ever since its been touch and go.Getting scary.I had big plans for this year…but so much for that.Thanks for fearmongering,ya idiot!

theTarCzar on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Funemployment sucks.

txag92 on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

TN Mom on September 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Gut the military, like usual…

ladyingray on September 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

When gold goes up at the same time as the Market something is wrong.

thomasaur on September 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Cost cutting of overhead

Red Creek on September 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Funemployment surges, followed by a marked increase in funicides.

Jim Treacher on September 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

These job layoffs are a direct result of the policies our country continues to employ (no pun). We tax our industry at the second highest rate in the world and wonder where the jobs are going. We regulate everything until it becomes impossible to comply. We punish workers with higher taxes, government grows and sucks capital out of the system. Are we surprised?

We have not yet seen the effects of the commercial mortgage market (anticdotal: my sister is going to lose her job because the insurance company she works for can’t retain commercial clients because they can’t even pay the rent), inflation is going to start, the dollar has fallen to lows not seen in years. It is not good out here in the world.

All of the above and the clowns are still building a bigger circus. God save America.

hip shot on September 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Suckers rally.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I removed 2/3 of my non-retirement holdings from the market in late Feb. My retirement holdings are going to cash once the next 10% drop occurs in the market. I will take the next 10% drop as the start of a correction.

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

But but but the fed says we are on the mend.

Oh and by the way it would have been eleventy billion if the smartest most economic genius of a president and the stimulus had not passed.

The MSM and Obama (but I repeat myself) have told me so… for months.

jukin on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Funemployment sucks.

txag92 on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Seconded but I’ve had more time for the horses and dogs.

thomasaur on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.

pseudonominus on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

We’re having to sell one of our businesses (due to increased nationalization of the mortgage industry) and let people go.

Never thought that would happen.

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Hopelessness and despair. The DOW is persistently lower than it was 10 years ago. And can’t build any momentum to get out of the basement.

Phil-351 on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Cash? I hope that’s another language for gold.

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Obama Czar, Mark LLoyd: White People Need to be Forced to ‘Step Down’ ‘So Someone Else Can Have Power’

It’s working

faraway on September 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Gut the military, like usual…

ladyingray on September 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Yep. Massive Military layoffs.

TN Mom on September 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Cost cutting of overhead

Red Creek on September 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

But isn’t overhead those terrible profits.

farright on September 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

Ah, but remember the Democrat mantra:

Recovery on Wall St. is not a recovery on Main Street.

At least, that was the line during the Bush years. When, you know, private sector jobs were being created for nearly three straight years.

Ask them to square that circle.

Good Lt on September 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Cost cutting of overhead

Red Creek on September 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Seems like when publically traded companies annouce earnings, it is costs cutting that has raised profits, not an increase in revenue. But in this new era where profits are at the top of an income statement, I may be mistaken.

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I believe the market goes up as Obama’s poll numbers go down. I believe America is looking forward to election day 2010 so this country will have a sporting chance to rebound.

Oink on September 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Cash? Better buy a wheel barrel.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

The Stimulus, a metaphor

Joe Caps on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

^This guy.

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I find nothing to celebrate in this. I mean, am I against the policies of this administration and the left as a whole? Absolutely. But Im not going to celebrate the continued mas lay offs as some sort of victory. Its a tragedy, regardless of which side your on. Not only that, but it wont make a difference to the left, who will continue to blame others, and use the bad news to further erode individual liberties and expand government. This does not work in our (the peoples) favor in any way whatsoever, unless you somehow think that a trade of job loss for Obamas approval rating loss is worth it. Im not that selfish. I do understnad it is policy that exasperates this problem, but its that tone, the “glee” if you will, the sense of celebration from the anti Obama, pro conservatives, towards continued US economic woes that strikes me as a bit un patriotic. Hate Obama, Reid, Pelosi all you want, beleive me, I cant stand them, but none of us, in any way, will benefit from this constant job loss. It doesnt make me happy, regardless of who is in power.

CriticalUpdate on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

This stock market rally is a classic suckers rally and a very few companies driving a majority of the volume. As unemployment benefits begin to run out this fall and many more people are added to the unemployment rolls, it will get desperate for many people out there and things may get very interesting domestically. And absolutely nothing this regime is doing is positive for the economy. In fact they want this crisis to occur to give them cover to cram more Marxist crap down our throats.

TheAdmiral on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

So what would motivate an economist to destroy the last shreds of his professional integrity by declaring “the recession is over”?

Lots of economists have done just that over the last several weeks.

jeff_from_mpls on September 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM

My boss just decided to close down his business, a mortgage bank in AZ. The feds are doing everything they can to squeeze the little guy out of this biz in favor of the multi national banks. He’s sick of fighting the uphill battle. Add 150 more jobs to the pile next month.

Thanks Barney Frank!

DrW on September 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM

^This guy gal.

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

FIFY

txag92 on September 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM

So I guess Bernie LIED this time!

Please remember to vote in 2010 and 2012….

BigMike252 on September 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Cash? I hope that’s another language for gold.

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Until FDR, it was. Gold is confusing now. Seems like there is a strong bottom to gold since I think China wants to buy more gold instead of our debt. I do not see a strong increase in demand for gold for industrial and jewelry purposes going forward. The only driver I see is inflation.

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM

txag92 on September 23, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Whoops my bad. Thanx for the correction.

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM

I had drinks at the Bel Air Hotel last night with the ladyfriend.

Next week they are shutting down for 2 years and every worker will be unemployed.

The official story is that it is a renovation, but I talked to someone in the know and it was a move to dump the union all at once.

I can’t imagine this is an isolated story.

Chuck Schick on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

I expect at least one department store to close after a dismal Christmas. My pick? Dillard’s (mainly Southern-based). Next pick? Sears

SouthernGent on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Where did the word “eleventy” pop up and who in the world used it?

betsyz on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Would have jumped eleventy billion percent without The Stimulus.

LibTired on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Obamanomics 101

RedbonePro on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Each time Bernenke and Barry peddle their end-of-recession subterfuge, massive multi-industry job losses, business bankruptcies, and stagnant economic growth indicators tell the real story.

anXdem on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Cash? Better buy a wheel barrel.

Knucklehead on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I wish your were not talking about inflation and knew whereabouts of some of my money that I am not aware about. If it is the latter, I do pay finder’s fees.

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Where did the word “eleventy” pop up and who in the world used it?

betsyz on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

And why did I just say the same exact thing as the other person?

LibTired on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

The only driver I see is inflation.

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM

And boy is it one hell of a driver!

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Trust me, I promise if the stimulus is passed unemployment will not exceed 8%. Catepillar will begin hiring those just laid off. What a hunk of bulls#&t. This guy is the worst and most incompetent buffoon ever.

rjoco1 on September 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM

When did the new minimum wage go into effect again?

Vashta.Nerada on September 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM

I found a Big Ten List yesterday ~ of ten big companies dancing close to bankruptcy and why. Macy’s made the list, as Hertz, Textron, Sprint ~ imagine those numbers if they go under. Another one that made it was Goodyear:

6. Goodyear

Demand for Goodyear tires has sunk, and the company is saddled with massive debt and pension obligations.

It doesn’t help that The United Steelworkers union prevents the company from proper cost control by forcing factories to stay open.

Shareholders have to wonder how much value will be left of the company after bondholders and the union members have their way.

For the oddest reason I thought of TAXPAYERS and Government Union Motors…

tree hugging sister on September 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM

And why did I just say the same exact thing as the other person?

LibTired on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I don’t know. I give up, why?

betsyz on September 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM

And boy is it one hell of a driver!

The Calibur on September 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM

…and a long haul driver this time around.

thomasaur on September 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Here is the latest Fed Politburo decree:

…and in it they state that the monetization will continue, and even increase if necessary.

The Fed doesn’t have the guts to shut down the casino.

Because they are the biggest players in it.

You can kiss the U.S. fiatsco goodbye.

Are the wheels coming off??

weekly railroad car loadings….note the most recent weekly numbers vs the 4 week ma, quarter to date, and year to date….very large drop in the current week….anyone have another explanation?

KentAllard on September 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Throughout this runup in the Dow Jones I have seen worrisome signs for the economy that pointed to a crucial period — the 3rd Quarter earnings reports. The other danger stat is in commercial real estate activity.

If these turn ugly, this economy will be headed for the dreaded double-dip recession. As it is, I have no idea what the DJ investors are seeing that causes their irrational exuberance.

Jaibones on September 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM

A friend is losing the job he’s held for 30 years on September 30th.

ladyingray on September 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I know the feeling 31 years at the same place… bam..gone

Jeff from WI on September 23, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Massive Unemployment Here We Come!!!
Excelsior!!!

FontanaConservative on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Are the wheels coming off??

KentAllard on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

The good news is that the employment rate for Czars, tax cheats, people advising tax/vote cheats, and repo men is 125%.

NoDonkey on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

I don’t know. I give up, why?

betsyz on September 23, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Because I am unoriginal and do not read. Also, it’s the exact thing the libs will say in response.

LibTired on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

What does the stock market see that I cannot?

WashJeff on September 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Art Laffer was on Cavuto yesterday, said the money supply had doubled. I don’t remember if he gave a time frame, nor was he specific about which measurement of the ‘money supply’ he was talking about. It would seem to imply that money has to go somewhere; gold, commodities, stocks.

Other blog news reports bank (reserves, assets, deposits, something) up by a factor of 17.

Skandia Recluse on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

They called all of us into one-on-one meetings last week to announce that we weren’t getting raises(aside from our standard 1.5% cost-of-living annual pay increase). I wasn’t expecting one, so no harm done.

But what scared the crap out of me was when my supervisor said that while we’re financially solvent at the moment thanks to the stimulus bill(I work for a school district which reportedly got nearly 300 million bucks from it), next year ain’t looking so pretty.

Which makes me wonder what’ll happen to the economy a year from now. I know a lot of the stimulus is backloaded for 2010, but will that money be used simply to prop up government bureaucracies and save public sector jobs(as it was for 2009)? If so, the private sector will continue to struggle and eventually the federal money will run out for these government jobs.

Doughboy on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Unemployment is not important. What’s important is that The Messiah and Mrs. Messiah (and Auntie Illegal Messiah) are all comfortable in the $8,000 a night suite in New York so that The Messiah can kiss the a___ of the Iranian puppet after they “bump” each other at the UN. Got to love those Dems~!

Cinday Blackburn on September 23, 2009 at 3:18 PM

CriticalUpdate on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

What “glee”?

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

The recession is over! Here comes the depression.

gwelf on September 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

It doesnt make me happy, regardless of who is in power.

CriticalUpdate on September 23, 2009 at 3:09 PM

When the doctor sets your broken arm, it hurts for awhile, but you heal properly. When a set of malicious socialists implement horrible policy, it hurts until the next election, when you can set your broken economy properly.

Vashta.Nerada on September 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Eleventy explained

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Here is the latest Fed Politburo decree:

Link

The Fed doesn’t have the guts to shut down the casino.

Because they are the biggest players in it.

You can kiss the U.S. fiatsco goodbye.

KentAllard on September 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Talk about “Dirty Dancing”.

Ewww. Now I have to use a towelette.

tree hugging sister on September 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I felt better when we were in the recession.

ThePrez on September 23, 2009 at 3:20 PM

dunno what happened to my first link…cut and paste the whole like…u will need the (number) part at the end.

Joe Caps on September 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM

I am waiting for Barry to be lay off.

bayview on September 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM

OT: WHAT a d*ck!
Obama: U.S. Does Not Recognize ‘Legitimacy of Continued Israeli Settlements’
Obama’s stark declaration, which drew applause, was coupled with a call for Palestinians to end their “incitement of Israel.”

tree hugging sister on September 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM

*sigh*

are we in the twilight zone? this just cannot be happening….

cmsinaz on September 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Obama will feed us all….
“Wish sandwiches are on me!….
but I’ll just eat my waffle, ok?”

max1 on September 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM

For the record: I really hate that pic used with unemployment stories.

Rocks on September 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Quick! We need to spend more money. Clearly we just haven’t spent enough yet on unions and Dem donors. Just a few more trillion should do it.

Monica on September 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM

But President Prissypants said the economy was OK and that America was now resplendent with Skittle ranbows, though I’m still waiting for that promised Unicorn in the mail…

catmman on September 23, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Thanks to all for the definition of “eleventy”. Thought perhaps it came out of Obama’s mouth. Wouldn’t have been in the least surprised.

And Lib Tired: I know you were being sarcastic, but I just want to say you’re always original.

betsyz on September 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM

In my area it looks like the local Harley Davidson plant will be closing soon…not a 100% sure thing yet,but doesnt look good.This will be a huge blow for our local economy.

theTarCzar on September 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Without the stimucrap, the percentage of mass layoffs would have hit 50%.

Bishop on September 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

And is has only just begun, fasten your seat belts, this thing is accelerating and it ain’t gonna be pretty when it stops.

With China buying assets to off-set dollars, dumping dollars in exchange for things of real value, the purchasing power of Americans is about to drop into the abyss.

The Chinese flooding the market with dollars will snowball into other’s doing the same. The dollar then goes over the proverbial cliff.

America’s economy is some 70% consumer driven, when, not if, the dollar craters no-one can afford those products consumed. When those products don’t sell production necessarily stops, manufacturing capacity lays idle, lay-off’s multiply and the self perpetuating spiral reinforces itself.

Pampered Americans will panic, become desperate and glom onto anything, or anyone who offer’s releif. The road to tyranny is thus paved. Consider this little anecdote from the past curtesy of TheHistoryPlace.com:

“When the stock market collapsed on Wall Street on Tuesday, October 29, 1929, it sent financial markets worldwide into a tailspin with disastrous effects.

The German economy was especially vulnerable since it was built out of foreign capital, mostly loans from America and was very dependent on foreign trade. When those loans suddenly came due and when the world market for German exports dried up, the well oiled German industrial machine quickly ground to a halt.

As production levels fell, German workers were laid off. Along with this, banks failed throughout Germany. Savings accounts, the result of years of hard work, were instantly wiped out. Inflation soon followed making it hard for families to purchase expensive necessities with devalued money.

Overnight, the middle class standard of living so many German families enjoyed was ruined by events outside of Germany, beyond their control. The Great Depression began and they were cast into poverty and deep misery and began looking for a solution, any solution.

Adolf Hitler knew his opportunity had arrived.”

Erie is it not?

Archimedes on September 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM

At the rate things are going, there may not be anything left for a sane Congress (2010, one hopes) and an intelligent president who doesn’t hate his country (2012 or, one hopes, much sooner) to salvage.

Anyone have a spare $500,000 for a loaf of bread?

MrScribbler on September 23, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I can’t imagine this is an isolated story.

Chuck Schick on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

never waste a good crisis! if destroying the US labor unions is the net result of the Great Obama Double Dip Recession, it will have been worth it.

DrW on September 23, 2009 at 3:30 PM

That’s quite a recovery we’re having, yes?

CliffHanger on September 23, 2009 at 3:30 PM