Defending President McCain from Glenn Beck

posted at 12:50 pm on September 23, 2009 by Doctor Zero

TV and radio host Glenn Beck recently sat for an interview with Katie Couric, in which he asserted that John McCain would have been “worse for the country than Barack Obama.” Beck’s remarks were deliberately provocative – he was laughing in a “try this one on for size” spirit when he repeated them. He might have been looking to stake out some unique, independent ground, in the manner of his Fox associate Bill O’Reilly, who awakens every morning to discover the center of the political universe is planted squarely between his toes. I’ll take Beck at his word, however, and strenuously disagree with him.

John McCain was not my choice for the GOP nomination. He ran a perfectly appalling campaign, all the more heartbreaking because he squandered the only exciting opportunity he managed to create: the selection of Sarah Palin. McCain’s greatest mistake, which America has not finished paying dearly for, was allowing the Democrat crooks behind the subprime crisis to skate away without penalty. The miscarriage of justice involved in leaving Barney Frank to happily count the money he looted from American taxpayers pales beside the damage he continues to inflict on the economy. In fact, the Washington Examiner just ran a story about the return of the very same policies that produced the subprime crash. McCain is accountable for every bit of the damage people like Barney Frank and Chris Dodd cause in the future, an accessory through his silence. He spent far too much of his campaign dreaming of a big, old-fashioned wedding with The Media, flanked by honored Senate colleagues in tuxedos and bridesmaid gowns… while the object of his affections staggered out of a tattoo parlor with Obama’s name written all over her, fell into the back seat of the Lightworker’s muscle car, and roared off in a shower of empty beer cans.

He was an awful candidate… but McCain would not have bitten his tongue while Iran murdered its citizens, leaving their Fourth of July picnic invitation on the table. He would not be working to install a Chavez puppet as dictator of Honduras. He wouldn’t have tried to sacrifice American intelligence agents in a show trial for political gain. He wouldn’t shower America’s adversaries with concessions while gaining nothing in return. McCain would have plenty of opponents, but he wouldn’t spend an unseemly amount of time designating groups of his constituents as enemies. He would know better than to casually accuse a cop of racism on national television.

I don’t see McCain setting up an Orwellian email address to rat out political enemies to the White House, or dispatching a horde of thugs to beat up demonstrators at town hall meetings. I doubt he would greet the disappearance of billions in “stimulus” money by shrugging and demanding another trillion. He wasn’t lying when he said he wanted victory in Afghanistan. He would have fewer unelected, unconfirmed “czars,” and none of them would be a Truther, a supporter of cop killer Mumia Abu Jamal, or a communist… let alone all three. His Supreme Court nominations would not have to defend their racial theories of judicial supremacy at their confirmation hearings. Enemies of America wouldn’t have to test John McCain to find out what he was made of – they could just ask the North Vietnamese. I always thought “The Straight Talk Express” was a silly name for his campaign bus, but at least it wasn’t splattered with the political blood of people thrown beneath it.

This is not to say that President McCain’s domestic policies would have been superb. It’s impossible to predict exactly what anyone would have done in the Oval Office. The butterfly effect from swapping out presidents is so huge that it comes with pair of tiny Japanese girls, who speak in unison when they warn of its approach. However, nothing McCain said during the campaign made me anticipate a presidency of bold conservative reform. I suspect we would have gotten something like the lazy Bush slide to the left in most areas, sprinkled with the occasional conservative policy, and the unmitigated disaster of amnesty for illegal aliens.

During the campaign, disgruntled Republicans often said it would be better to have Obama in office, showing everyone just how horrible Democrat policies are, than tolerate a RINO like McCain pushing the same policies in low gear, with bipartisan fingerprints. Glenn Beck’s slap at McCain is a retroactive expression of the idea that conservatism is just one crushing defeat away from total victory. Anyone who thought it was worth putting Obama in office, as some kind of object lesson for the American voter, gravely underestimated the amount of damage he could do. Look at how far we’ve sailed past the edge of fiscal sanity, in only nine months. It would take decades of careful, moderate reform just to get us back to where George Bush left us… and that wasn’t exactly an enviable position. Freedom is an endless voyage, while tyranny has far too many points of no return. The course we steered away from President McCain has taken us perilously close to those terminal waters.

The Obama presidency has been a flash forward to where the post-Reagan glide path might have taken us, in ten or twenty years. It is not the same thing to arrive at this moment in 2009 instead of 2029, any more than spending the night drinking a bottle of whiskey is the same thing as draining it all in one gulp. Toxicity increases with dosage. Many things might have occurred over the next few decades, to help us cope with the coming crash. Instead, the time bomb of Social Security begins detonating next year. Even if Obama left office tomorrow, it would take dramatic reforms to pull us out of our nose dive… and the American voter hates dramatic reforms.

I’ve got a lot of bones to pick with George Bush’s domestic policies, and I doubt President McCain’s would have been much better, but if either of them replaced Obama tomorrow, the economy would begin improving immediately… not because they would do anything particularly brilliant, but because they wouldn’t pummel us with the insane crap Obama serves up as daily fare. At least the markets would have less reason to be terrified of the White House. Simply refraining from the dramatic transformation of our economy and culture would be a huge improvement at this point.

McCain wouldn’t be a worse president than Obama. He would be more politically inconvenient for the conservative movement. Speaking for myself, I’d pay that price in a heartbeat… to spare my country what it has already endured, and what is yet to come.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Dr. Zero,
I find myself in the unusual position of disagreeing with you. I think that a McCain presidency would be worse for a couple reasons. First with his desire to reach across the aisle many of the same issues would be on the table, only with “bipartisan” support. Second it would further blur the lines between the 2 parties to a point that they would truly be opposite wings of the same bird (to steal a line from Lou Dobbs). The only way our system of government works is if there are distinct differences between the candidates. I keep hearing that the GOP needs to be more like the dems, but that is just wrong. It is part of what brought us The One. The fact is when the GOP tries to run as a form of Dem lite they lose and With McCain that is what you had.

JKotthoff on September 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I agree with Glenn! I only voted for McCain because of Palin. It was hard to defend Bush on some stuff..but gee…another 4 yrs of that would drive me nutz…now I do not have to spin RINO crap…I feel free to say.. Obama is a RED!

charmingtail on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I thought that was so obvious that it didn’t need saying, but you’re right, of course. ‘President McCain’ would have had an effective, charismatic Veep to ……Keep Conservatism Alive

and maybe be a Brake on his RINO-Maverick instincts

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Unless he kept her as muzzled as he did in October 2008.

MadisonConservative on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

I disagree with the good Doctor. Maverick would have brought us 4 years of hardship due to terrible domestic policies, to be followed by 4 more years of abject misery when an uber libtard like BO would win. The way things are going, congress gets rolled next year and BO is out after his first term. And hopefully the repub party returns to its conservative roots. Call me optimistic, but don’t call me shirley.

David in ATL on September 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I hope you are proud of yourself.

And what difference does it make if the Republicans return to whatever roots you assume they are supposed to have? With the help of folks like you the country might well be ruined.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Before we continue hyperventilating over this tempest in a teapot, perhaps give Ace a read?

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Madison:

If not for McCain, the world would not even know who Palin was and yet I rarely anyone who claims to be a supporter of Sarah Palin give him credit for giving her that opportunity, when so many people said she was not the right choice. And Palin was willing to share that ticket with McCain, she did not feel as if she was ashamed to be there.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Read the link that Geek just put up to Ace’s. Very interesting.

BadgerHawk on September 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

charmingtail:

Well then you agree with Beck when he says it is a good thing that Palin is not VP, because if McCain loses, she loses.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

And anyone who watched Beck when he was on HLN knew exactly who Palin was before McCain picked her.

BadgerHawk on September 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

If you wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.

MB4 on September 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM

and maybe

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Unless he kept her as muzzled as he did in October 2008.

MadisonConservative on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

It’s all about the Maybe: McCain was King Midas in Reverse at campaigning, in 2000 as well as 2008. And a RINO. And a ‘Maverick’, WhateverTF that is. And a poor-to-middling public speaker; And not charismatic….

He made the 1988 Dukakis campaign look brilliant in comparison

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I have to agree with this. We did our best but we couldn’t beat the Obama propaganda machine and the mis-guided in our own Party. Next time out of the gate, we have to be sure this doesn’t happen.

jeanie on September 23, 2009 at 2:42 PM

BadgerHawk:

I read it. So? Beck likes to shoot his mouth off, what is new?

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM

If you wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.

MB4 on September 23, 2009 at 2:41 PM

…cause that was then…
…and we have taken different rooo-oooads…

…we can’t go back again…
…there’s no use givin’ in…

…and there’s no way to knoooow…

MadisonConservative on September 23, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I agree. I lost a lot of respect for Beck when he said this. I also began to wonder just whose side he is really on.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I read it. So? Beck likes to shoot his mouth off, what is new?

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Tough to seriously lose a lot of respect for someone (if you had any to begin with) when you acknowledge he was likely just shooting his mouth off with an idea that just popped into his head.

BadgerHawk on September 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM

BadgerHawk on September 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Yeah, and yet Beck could say what he said. It seems that he does not really have all that much respect for Palin or her judgment. She agreed to be on that ticket with McCain. She did not run screaming or say they were incompatable or anything else.

And I do not watch HLN.

I think Beck is about ratings and money and influence and all that. I have heard things about him and Ron Paul that make me nervous too.

I just think he shoots from the hip is all.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Gerald did in 1974-76 what you say that McCain would do. As a result, Reagan challenged him in the primaries and almost won the nomination–mostly because there were still too many delegates selected by the RNC ( directly or indirectly ) back then.

By today’s rules and methods, Regan would have been nominated

As noted by others, McCain would have had Sarah Palin as one of the wildest Wild Cards ever to serve as Veep.

Also, with such a bitterly partisan Demo Congress, even The Maverick would have been pushed to the right just to keep from breathing all the Lefty Methane

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM

BadgerHawk:

And what an idea. He is talking to Couric from CBS news, the same Couric who won an award for savaging Sarah Palin…for months he has been preaching the political equivalent of the end times and yet he just happened to think that golly gee we might be better of with Barack Hussein Obama as President than John McCain.

If McCain shot his mouth off like that, people would say he was not a team player.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I agree with the idea that Beck was suggesting 4 years of McCain would have moved the socialist agenda further along, but many would not have awakened to what’s happening in this country. Obama is moving at such a rate many people are waking up.

Regarding swipes at Bush, as for me, I’m disappointed that he was no different than any of the other politicians who pretend to be one way to get elected and govern an entirely different way. I actually thought he was different to some extent. He sold us out, in my opinion.

That’s why Palin resonates with so many people who are tired of the hypocrisy and corruption from both parties. You get the feeling she truly loves this country and wants to do what is best for all of us.

Another blogger commented that our problem is moral, and when we solve that, we solve the major issues. I agree-where there are no basic honest principles to live by, we get corruption and greed on this scale.

texanpride on September 23, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Doctor Zero summed up his brilliant in-depth analysis of a potential McCain vs. Obama presidential impact by saying:

Shout that one out loud and long!

For one thing, McCain would not have, as his first legislative endeavor, handed it over carte blanche to a Democrat controlled Congress. And given the amount of pork that the Dems dusted off to incorporate into the Stimulus Package, McCain would have swiftly vetoed it and sent it back to Congress for revamping.

No, I don’t agree with Glenn Beck at all. In fact, I’d say that if he continues in this vein his fifteen minutes of fame will expire by the end of the year.

After watching the Katie Couric ‘Glenn Beck Interview’ in full, I was left shaking my head over a number of things Beck had to say in response to her questioning, which was a not so subtle agenda to try to marginalize him as either a racist or conspiracy theorist or wingnut whacko maverick. Or, actually, all of the above.

It seems to me that Beck is devolving into a borderline anarchist. I could be wrong in that hunch, especially as he does seem to be more Libertarian than true Conservative. But underlying all of his answers was this feeling from him that there are serious problems in this country that he wants others to organize to address, but let him alone in the end to just go about his personal life, thank you very much. He’ll use his highly popular cable show to make it possible for people to organize under this “912 Project” to clean up the mess that has been made the past eight months or so, plus that which has been made as well over the past fifty years or so.

Then get out of his life and leave him alone to play with his family and enjoy the sudden riches all this notoriety and his outrageously entertaining and informative approach to government and politics has earned for him.

Can’t blame him for being opportunistic, just as long as he doesn’t also devolve into being simply an opportunistic parasite.

KendraWilder on September 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Doc knows what’s good for him. If he said anything else, he’d have the ire of Allah planted squarely between his toes.

I_C on September 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Maybe because he hasn’t been a team player on multiple occasions:

Amnesty
Tax cuts
Global warming
Campaign Finance Reform
TARP.
Federal Marriage Amendment.
And on…

MadisonConservative on September 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I wonder why this gratuitous slap? “I’ve got a lot of bones to pick with George Bush’s domestic policies, and I doubt President McCain’s would have been much better,”

What is with Republicans? Why do they feel this uncontrollable need and obsession to take swipes at George Bush when they write anything political? No matter how light or heavy the blows it is unnecessary and injurious to us ever getting back into power.

Jdripper on September 23, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I meant exactly what I said… I have profound disagreements with much of Bush’s domestic agenda. I don’t hate the guy. I wrote my full opinion of Bush here, and I meant every word of that too, including the part I had to write through tears.

Doctor Zero on September 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on September 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

JKotthoff on September 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I agree with your assessment and for those same reasons. McCain was a believer in the hoax of climate change, a believer in amnesty without securing the border. He believed in bipartisanship with concessions from his own party unilaterally.

Yes he might have been tough on Iran, Chavez, Cuba and the Honduran situation, but he believed in the UN which I might say needs to go and fast…and he believes in the nobility of the Senate which is like believing that there are honorable crooks. He is every bit a progressive like his idol T.R. The only difference between him and Bush is a few inches in height. The difference between him and Obumer is he’s not hip to the idiot crowd of personality. Policies are virtually the same on this except the foreign policy thing.

larvcom on September 23, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, Beck was real smart to do an interview with Couric and make those asinine remarks.

rlwo2008 on September 23, 2009 at 3:05 PM

RE:Joy on September 23, 2009 at 1:28 PM

“BECK’S POINT IS:

That with McCain not only would we be on a *slower* boat, certainly not slow… but we wouldn’t have the TEA PARTY movement…

Kind of pathetic when your last best hope is the Ron Paul inspired tea party movement. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to see people pushing back but it certainly doesn’t equal representation in government. If the “conservative” movement can’t be entrusted to go to the polls to prevent a full on socialist from attaining office what makes you this will outlast the fad-factor?

Conservatives would still be sitting on their collective apathetic butts shrugging their shoulders and complaining.”

She wrote from the internet. Look, if you don’t like your hair cut do you light your head on fire so you can get off your butt and get a hair cut?

“With Obama, we are now ENERGIZED, ORGANIZED and FIGHTING like HECK to save our REPUBLIC! ”

Really. Are you sure it isn’t that the democrats are just incapable of governing? You want to claim responsibility for that? We have at least 3 and a half years of this moron ahead, with the circular firing squad continuing there is a very real possibility of 7 and a half years of Obama. Think the tea parties are going to fix the results? To argue that the country needs to be ruined to rebuild it is stupid and traitorous.

WE now control the conversation! It’s WORKING.

So wrecking the country in order to have more of a say in rebuilding the rubble is achieving your desired effect. Our debt level is now accumulating to the point where it is an existential threat to the country. A THREAT TO THE EXISTENCE OF THE USA. Add in the complete hash Obama has made of foreign policy, selling out our allies in the middle east and eastern europe, appeasing dictators and alienating allies, canceling defense programs that are vital to our security and ability to project power, socializing entire, vital segments of industry (banking, transportation, etc…) and you want to argue that we are better off because people are going to tea parties?

With McCain we’d still lumps of jello, amnesty would have already been passed and our country would be DEAD from it. DEAD………………

Nice crystal ball. McCain stood less chance of getting amnesty passed then Obama does. Besides, he stated he wouldn’t press for it until border security was guaranteed.

Much of what Obama has done so far can be undone.

Show us an entitlement program that once enacted has been taken away. Show us one. Show us a war that was lost then somehow re-won. How do you un-do a re-invigorated jihad movement that wants to kill you? Show us how we are going to un-do all this debt with out real hardship and sacrifice. Show us how we can “un-do” an Iranian nuke without massive loss of life.

And if people follow Beck’s advice, we can take back our country peacefully, without having to use our guns.

Pretty quick to sign on to a cult of personality and pretty quick to bring weapons into the equation. Again, from the safety of the internet.

Obama has already been an unmitigated disaster for the USA and he has barely started. The damage he has done will last for decades.

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I_C on September 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Not fair; not accurate; not really worth responding to: If you’re gonna snark at people, explain yourself

as some guy once said, “Say Something, for Christ’s sake!!!”

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 3:08 PM

By the way Doctor Zero, an excellent post. (I even got the “pair of tiny Japanese girls, who speak in unison when they warn of its approach” bit.)

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 3:07 PM

yeah, I think you covered all the bases

Especially that last one: “Decades” and more…

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Thanks Janos-

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM

McCain would be worse for the sake that the Conservative movement would have been in the doldrums. Obama has lit up the movement and we are going to purge his party and the party of RINOs.

Tim Burton on September 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

If you’re going to lament that dramatic reform is unfair, unsafe, unpopular, unAmerican, etc., then you deserve the collapse it could have prevented.

Chris_Balsz on September 23, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Glenn Beck can think beyond 2012.
Why doesn’t any criticism of his statement go beyond 2012?
Oh. Yeah. Cause then you might accidentally get the point.

Ronnie on September 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Not only would I pay that price, and reluctantly vote for McCain again, hell, I’d vote for some of the voters ACORN registered… Mickey Mouse, Daffy Duck, Santa Claus, you name it, if it meant…

No mo’ Obama.

TXUS on September 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Why doesn’t any criticism of his statement go beyond 2012?
Oh. Yeah. Cause then you might accidentally get the point.

Ronnie on September 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Read my posts: My criticism goes to 2017 and beyond that. The same is true for several others

Oh. Yeah.

Beck’s selling a book and hyping his TV show; I appreciate much of what he does but this statement is Something Else

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM

TXUS on September 23, 2009 at 3:33 PM

If John McCain were president, do you think the government would be talking about cutting off ACORN’s funds?

Ronnie on September 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Obama was a quick ripping off of the band-aid, such that the pain is intense, but over with quickly.

MadisonConservative on September 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM

I don’t know MadCon. Sotomayor represents a slow ripping as her appointment amounts to another generation of what we had in Souter (at best). There is likely to be two more retirees within this administration. Ginsburg’s health is fading and Stevens will be 90 soon. Two others will be near 80 when 2012 comes around. Slow damage; end not near.

The drastic shift (and shaft) that was demonstrated to our Eastern European allies, Iran, Chavez, Honduras sends a message that within 6 months of any change in the White House we can turn on a dime. That certainly damages trust and credibility both which take years to build and effort to maintain. Quick damage; slow reparation.

We have a president who is uncomfortable with the word ‘victory’ with Afghanistan. The damage to morale (both our military and Afghans) is long term. Even more long term is if we write the effort off as we did in Vietnam.

There has been no indication whatsoever that McCain would follow the three paragraphs above. There is actual evidence (by word) and indication that McCain would lead differently. There is also no reason to believe that McCain would be so quick to apologize for the country in which he represents on the world stage. In fact, I’m almost certain that while in leadership position, that kind of groveling was unprecedented of any nation in history. Until Obama.

anuts on September 23, 2009 at 3:39 PM

We can’t ever know what kind of President John McCain would have been. UNKNOWABLE- why kick a man for imagining what kind of domestic decisions he might have made? I do believe he would have been very, very, strong on National Defense.

Politically, if I was George W Bush, and saw what was on the horizon -The Economy Crashing Down, I might hand it off to a Democrat, and not want a Republican, to get hit with it, and own it…the backlash to this far left socialist agenda is going to be magnificent to witness. 2010 and 2012 if the Republicans can’t regain seats, than they need to get out of the way, and let a new Party lead by Traditional Independents lead the way. There are way more Traditional Americans than Progressive – Che wannabes.

Dr Evil on September 23, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 3:36 PM

I saw the part about Obama winning reelection. I just didn’t think you were serious. I think Snoopy could beat him right now.

Ronnie on September 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Ronnie on September 23, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Knowing that several thousands of votes were fraudulently cast in 2008 because of ACORN’s activities and/or assuming that the recent ACORN exposé would’ve still gone forward, the answer’s yes.

TXUS on September 23, 2009 at 3:48 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old Hippie Vet on September 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM

McCain was OK until he started his amnesty c%@p to please the democraps and LaRaza.
McCain turned worse when he ” suspended ” his campaign to rush to DC and force Repubs to vote with GWB to stab Lehman bros as ordered by GoldmanSachs honchos. At that moment, if the repubs had refrained from supporting demoncraps and their puppet ( GWB) to benefit GoldmanSachs, McCain could have still salvaged his “maverick” patriotic narrative. But he proved , just as with amnesty that when faced with a choice he would please the liberals rather than oppose them. Republicans didn’t even stand up as a party against the Pelosi tribe during the GoldmanSachs bailout. That was the point they lost whatever credibility they had. If they had let GWB go solo with the dems & GoldmanSachs , it would have been a different narrative from then on.
McCain was the worst when he refused to go after the nastiness of Obama’s minions against Gov Palin.His language lacked force.
Probably thats what bothers Beck. Beck was for Gov Palin long before she even entered the national scene. Her only disadvantage was that she was introduced to the nation with McCain.

macncheez on September 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Agree.

John McCain, despite his faults, loves this country dearly and would never do anything to harm her. He wouldn’t tolerate anyone in the White House who would, either.

I don’t believe the same of Barack Obama, or of his “administration”.

NoDonkey on September 23, 2009 at 12:54 PM

He had a chance to stand up and admonish the type of people Obama associated with during the campaign, but instead decided to sell the people who are suppose to vote for him out. He had a second chance to call out Obama for all the crap he has been doing to this country at his own town hall. Again, he sells out his constituents and say that they should show respect to the President because he believes that Obama respects our constitution. Obama believes that our Constitution has deep flaws so I don’t know how he can go around trying to sell people on that mess. Plainly put, McCain would lead us down the same road of soft tyranny but at such a slow pace that we won’t notice until it’s too late. At least with Obama we see what is coming and can do something about it.

mizflame98 on September 23, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Didn’t McCain seriously consider switching parties and run with another candidate?

mobydutch on September 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Dr. Z

Agreed. His greatest mistake was being McCain. As leftist idiot Dave Matthews once said in song:

“I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself; sometimes I find it’s better to be somebody else.”

We needed McCain to be somebody else.

Jaibones on September 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM

PS Oh, and fu@k Beck. He’s nuts.

Jaibones on September 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Tim Burton on September 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM

What good is a supposed “movement” that only gets out of the doldrums in the face of a monumental crisis?

Purge the Rino’s? We did… and gave the democrats executive and legislative branches of government. Shouldn’t you give a thought to what you are going to replace said “rino”s with before you purge them? Is it better to have Al Frankin then a “Rino” like Norm Coleman?

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I think Snoopy could beat him right now.

Ronnie on September 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM

“right now” lasts about ten seconds in politics–and These People will do anything including criminal acts to get votes

These People are not above simply stealing an election, and the ‘dependent class’ grows each day.

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Will someone please tell me if at one time, McCain seriously considered switching parties to run with another Democrat? Maybe John Kerry?????

mobydutch on September 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM

JKotthoff on September 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I can characterize your comment as a “Yeah, but…”

In ignoring Dr. Zero’s long and substantive list of differences between the two men, you are deliberately side-stepping the force of the argument.

Intellectual honesty isn’t your strongest suit, is it?

Richard Romano on September 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Whatever you may say about McCain he is an honorable man. I don’t like him and he’s much to eager to reach across the isle just for the sake of looking bipartisan.

roux on September 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Jaibones on September 23, 2009 at 4:02 PM

I don’ wanna Fu@k Beck and he is Sometimes Nuts, but the way he crafts his shows as ‘entertainment seminars’ for his problematic time slot is……Gold, Jerry, pure gold.

Most people are not HotAir commenters: They don’t know or care about politics or government, and Beck scoops these people up into viewers–and some of his consistent and focused anti-Obama message STICKS

in politics, you pray for Stuff that Sticks….

Janos Hunyadi on September 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Oh and by the way, Senator McCain is not entitled to be called “President McCain”.

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Beck’s argument basically is if McCain had been elected, it just would have been kicking the can down the road four years as far as the GOP’s core problems go, to where the same battles fought within the party in 2008 would have been there in 2012, possibly with even lower approval ratings for the party.

But that only works if you believe the incompetence of the Obama Administration outweighs the control it has though the White House and Congress to get the most harmful of his ideas past. Basically, if you think Obama can’t walk and chew gum well enough to get national health care, card check, cap & trade past, and you think that four years of Obama foreign policy won’t be enough to threaten a new terrorist attack on U.S. soil, then yes, it was better for Obama to win because it’s helped unite the conservative movement, even if many Congressional Republicans still seem to timid to lead the way.

Since the only way this actually works is for Obama to be completely incompetent on getting any domestic policies passed but at the same time competent enough not to allow terrorists to set off a bunch of backpack bombs on the subways or a dirty bomb in the cargo hole of some ship in a coastal port, I think Beck loses the argument here. We can see the bumbling that’s killing Barack’s domestic plans, which as of now look like they won’t pass; we can’t see the behind-the-scenes Jamie Gorelick-type stuff that could be going on to weaken national security, and which, like Gorelick’s 1996 memo, won’t come to light until it’s too late.

jon1979 on September 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM

David in ATL on September 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I hope you are proud of yourself.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM

WTF?

hillbillyjim on September 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM

“any time my name is mentioned in the same breath as Teddy Roosevelt, I am honored. Teddy Roosevelt’s my hero.”

–McCain, on the “The Early Show” Wednesday

’nuff said.

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Rushbaby:

Teddy Roosevelt is ten times the man Beck could ever be. The fact that people who laughingly call themselves conservatives need to trash Theodore Roosevelt is pathetic;

By the way, McCain might not be conservative enough for you, but Beck is not a conservative at all, at least that is what he says. From the Examiner:

For anyone who supported Ron Paul’s 2008 presidential campaign, it was a frustrating thing to watch how the media treated him. One of the media personalities that was particularly disappointing to watch with Ron Paul was Glenn Beck. Overall, he seemed to agree with Paul’s ideas the most, and yet he would often preface any agreements he had with Paul by saying things like “I don’t agree with Ron Paul on everything–not by a long shot.” He would say that Paul was on the “fringe” and had some “kooky” ideas.

Well, now Beck is wishing for a time machine. On his radio show last week, he apologized to libertarians everywhere for calling himself a libertarian in the past. He has long called himself a conservative with libertarian leanings, but he said he is now leaning so far libertarian that he is almost horizontal. He said, “I’m going through a change here.”

Beck would like the time machine to take him back eighteen months. Why? To go back to when he was calling Ron Paul a “crackpot on so many issues.” Now, he laments, “Gosh. I’d like to reexamine all those issues.” Among those issues is America’s occupation of many foreign countries; Beck specifically mentions Germany, Korea, and Afghanistan. He admits that America’s imperialism has caused a lot of problems. He said, “Progressive members of the Republican party wanted to make sure that we spread sunshine, lollipops, happiness, and democracy to all around the world. That’s great. But the best way to do that is to live a righteous life and be a good example.” And he repeated what Paul has been saying for years, “Besides, we can’t afford it anymore!”

Ron Paul. Gag me. Today Obama went to the UN where he was slobbered over by the likes of Fidel Castro..don’t it make you proud? McCain at least loved his country and liked the American people. I am not so sure about Obama.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM

my hero.”

–McCain, on the “The Early Show” Wednesday

’nuff said.

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I learned long ago that its not always wise to argue with a person who studies history as a hobby. I don’t argue WWII with my dad, Ancient Rome with my sister, and I sure as heck wouldn’t argue the progressive movement with Beck (I would love to challenge him on the McCarthy era though. That would be awesome!)

mizflame98 on September 23, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Doc Zero is a brilliant man….
But this time he takes the shortsighted approach.

I’m not going to repeat my often posted thesis about this again; Y’all have seen it enough times over the last two years. But thinking long term, McCain would have removed all hope for an eventual return to conservative / libertarian principles of government.

LegendHasIt on September 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM

New Nationalism (Theodore Roosevelt’s Progressive political philosophy during the 1912 election). The central issue he argued was human welfare versus property rights. He insisted that only a powerful federal government could regulate the economy and guarantee social justice.

Roosevelt believed that the concentration in industry was not necessarily bad, if the industry behaved responsibly. He wanted executive agencies (not the courts) to regulate business. The federal government should be used to protect the laboring men, women and children from what he believed to be exploitation.

That’s big government progressivism, Terrye. That’s what Obama admires. That’s what McCain admires.

It’s not trashing anybody to point that out. It’s just not (laughingly) conservative.

RushBaby on September 23, 2009 at 4:58 PM

“McCain’s greatest mistake, which America has not finished paying dearly for, was allowing the Democrat crooks behind the subprime crisis to skate away without penalty.”

… and it is about to happen again.

I remember Senator Quegg saying in the campaign that he would name names…

Now’s his chance…

(crickets chirping)

Excellent post, Doc!

Seven Percent Solution on September 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Maybe Beck was thinking of this re 2008 elections:

McCain wins: GOP is destroyed
Obama wins: Democratic party is destroyed

faraway on September 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Obama wins: America is destroyed.

I care much more about America than the GOP and even the conservative movement. For those who say McCain is worse b/c he would hurt the conservative movement I say to you which is more important your nation or your politics?

lavell12 on September 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Zero:

Love your guts, but you’re going off incomplete information. Here’s a transcript of Glenn’s explanation on his Tuesday radio show:

dicentra63 on September 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM

“Whatever you may say about McCain he is an honorable man.”

He WAS an honorable man, back in Hanoi. He let his staffers trash Sarah Palin. He has allowed himself to be seduced by Washington.

He may have been an honorable man, but now he only plays one on TV.

dicentra63 on September 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Beck just boiled a frog on live TV!!!
Naaaah
But he did explain his views on McCain as Prez to Couric

macncheez on September 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM

He may have been an honorable man, but now he only plays one on TV.

dicentra63 on September 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM

His former staffers supposedly said some things. What was McCain supposed to do? Shoot them?

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM

faraway;

Maybe Beck was thinking, Obama wins, America is screwed, I get great ratings make a lot of money.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM

lavell12 on September 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

I think the answer is obvious. They could not get it together to come up with an alternative to McCain, so they figure screw America. In the long run all this bad crap will work for us. It might take a half century to pay the debt, but who cares about that?

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM

And btw, it was the GOP rank and file who voted for McCain. I think some of the people who come to these blogs forget, we do not represent average voters. They have lives, for one thing.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I don’t really care about Glenn’s explanation. This is just another look at me look at me stunt by this guy.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Is film the modern “classical allusion?” I loved this post if for no other reason than that single line. Pure art.

But I’m going to have to disagree, in the end, that McCain would’ve been better. I don’t think we’d have seen a drive for reforming nationalizing health care. But Johnny Mac did promise in one of the debates that he’d push for a scheme on “global warming” very similar to Cap’n'Trade. I don’t think McCain wanted the consequences that’d bring (especially not in the way Owebama’s advisors seem to lust after them), but I don’t think he had any more humility than “I Won” either – and we’d find ourselves in deep kimchi because of it. McCain also supported stimulating the economy out of recession, and while most of the current Porkulus is either misdirected or being held in reserve to try to buy votes in 2010, the very concept of spending one’s way out of debt is one I’m too glad to see attached to the Dems – it’s a millstone to whoever picks it up.

If I may pick a different movie for an allusion – we’ve lost the 300 at the Hot Gates. But that loss has awakened many who would otherwise snooze through the current electoral and politico-philosophical Plataea. I don’t think the path that comes after Obama’s term expires will be nearly as bad as the route McCain would have had us on after his own failed single-term administration.

Blacksmith on September 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM

IMO, the reason McCain would’ve been worse has to do with a couple things. With a Republican president like McCain (who is known to be squishy on immigration, health care, and the Global Warming agenda, we would have had some kind of watered down versions of each. It would’ve forced only the real conservatives in congress to oppose these crap sandwiches, so Dems + RINOS= solid majority with no chance for filibuster. There would’ve been no Republican unity at all! Then when we got to the midterm elections and the economy is down the tubes still, unemployment still high, there would be no reason for a GOP backlash–would voters throw out the leftists who are polling so badly now? I don’t think they would have the same impetus.

Obama’s victory and for sure his actions are going to create a snap-back in the midterms, which just wouldn’t have been there otherwise.

The one place I think McCain would’ve been better is on foreign policy. He wouldn’t be interfering in Honduras, cow-towing to Putin and selling out Eastern Europe, giving Israel the finger, and letting Afghanistan go to crap.

Spassvogel on September 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Bingo

Squid Shark on September 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM

David in ATL on September 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM
I hope you are proud of yourself.

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM
WTF?

hillbillyjim on September 23, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Terrye we have been exchanging views on this subject since 2005 when I posted on CQ as The Yell. I do not think your campaign to rein in us right-wing yahoos has done your party any good at all.
Regardless of that, when you ignore my advice, I don’t share in any guilt for the outcome. I do feel proud I stood my ground throughout.

lavell12 on September 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

The conservative movement is about the lasting strength of America. Ignoring that agenda of reform will be supremely destructive.

None, to you, if you oppose where it’s going.

Purge the Rino’s? We did…
Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Uh…

Chris_Balsz on September 23, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I agree with Glenn Beck simply on the fact the Obama has united American like NO one before him…AGAINST OBAMA. The real differences between Mcshamnisty and Obunghole are tiny. The U.S. NEEDED a slap in the face to remind the American People exactly what is important again, The Constitution, Values, and Integrity. Beck was wrong on one point though, NO ONE running for President was worthy of the position after Super Tuesday and I mean NO ONE. That includes Clinton, Obama, McCain, Romney, Huckabee, Rudy G., Ron The Fraud Paul; NONE.

nelsonknows on September 23, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I find rather interesting that Beck chose to do an interview with Katie Couric on the same day he released his new book Arguing With Idiots.

Hellrider on September 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

<blockquoteThe fact that people who laughingly call themselves conservatives need to trash Theodore Roosevelt is pathetic;

Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM

You might learn some actual HISTORY because in the last 2 years of his term, Teddy Roosevelt was JUST as progressive as Wilson and FDR.

lavell12 on September 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Do you actually think Americans would have rallied at Tea Parties, Town Halls or marched in Washington against McCain even though McSHAMNESTY was 90% Obama?
Obama has united Conservatives like no one since Reagan and people that didn’t realize they WERE conservative, have had a great awakening.
PEOPLE LEARN MUCH MORE FROM MISTAKES THAN SUCCESSES.

nelsonknows on September 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM

McCain should not have shot his staff, but this is sorta like Obama, look who he surrounded himself with.

mobydutch on September 23, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Yes, McCain did consider switching to the Democrat party. That was not too conservative.

mobydutch on September 23, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Re.Chris_Balsz

None, to you, if you oppose where it’s going.

…So if I don’t climb on board the blowhard attention whore bandwagon with those who overcompensate for their own insecurities by calling people who are actually trying to prevent a communist from being elected “RINO’s” I somehow don’t measure up to yet another self proclaimed arbiter of conservatism who believes the best way to exert influence in the republic is to shoot yourself in the foot.

Gee… I think I can live with that.

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Hellrider on September 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Next up
Meghan Mccain grills Beck

macncheez on September 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM

That’s a lot to dissect…

…So if I don’t climb on board the blowhard attention whore bandwagon

Our founders had a kinder view of citizen rallies, that’s why they’re guaranteed.

with those who overcompensate for their own insecurities

You agree with our assessment of the present Admin. What makes us neurotic and you, wholesome?

Everybody but the Communists can say that, though

“RINO’s”

I don’t use the term since I realized being a sincere conservative incapable of unquestioned loyalty to a machine, made ME the R.I.N.O.

I somehow

We’ve been explicit

don’t measure up to yet another self proclaimed arbiter of conservatism

You got accredited??

It sure beats what your Party has been doing since it stopped pretending it had a clue or a purpose!

Gee… I think I can live with that.

Not at all guaranteed. Of course most Americans in the past 240 years had to live that way, so suck it up!

Chris_Balsz on September 23, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Quote of the day!

mizflame98 on September 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM

How many more George Bush’s are you Republicans going to support?

It seems that Dr Zero is advocating the Frumian philosophy. A slow descent as opposed to the free-fall the current President advocates. What at terrible position the Republican’s have put conservatives in.

True_King on September 23, 2009 at 8:30 PM

RE:Chris_Balsz

That’s a lot to dissect…

Well, there is a 2 word reply but I thought I would keep it G rated. Sorry of you found that whole paragraph to be taxing.

You are confusing my critique of those who are stupid enough to think that there is a “conservative” case to be made for an Obama administration into a disparaging remark on “citizen rallies”. I reread my comment. Nothing on citizen rallies.

Who is this “us” you speak for?

Everybody but the Communists can say that, though

No they can’t. That was the whole point.

We’ve been explicit

Again, who is this “WE” that elected you their spokes model?

You got accredited??

Indeed.

The party that you helped elect has a purpose, one that you enable but supposedly don’t support. Not too smart.

Not at all guaranteed.

Most Americans have had to live with the scorn of self defeating idiots who wont see the forest for the trees and effectively support the things that they supposedly oppose? Did you take a survey or are you just running your mouth again?

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 10:12 PM

That seemed directed at citizen rallies.

That seemed addressed to some sort of group, of which I was an example.

“People like me spend lifetimes cleaning up other peoples messes. It’s just a little infuriating when those who claim to care about the country join in with the mess makers. More so when they are sanctimonious blow-hards about it.”

Didn’t you just argue we can’t roll back entitlements? What messes have you cleared?
“sanctimonious blowhard” must be code for a free man, one who won’t blindly “enable” you. How dare I speak! Who authorized me to speak!

” It might take a half century to pay the debt, but who cares about that?
Terrye on September 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM”

When we argued about the GOP majority reneging on its platform in 2005, you said that we needed to be patient until public opinion swung behind the party, and until or UNLESS it did, the Party could not be tasked to deliver. Now you complain we won’t take up “slow, gentle reform”. How long are you planning this will take? You seemed to think we could wait forever, when the GOP had the reins.

Chris_Balsz on September 23, 2009 at 10:35 PM

EXCELLENT post! This country will be paying for the insane policies of this administration long after it is gone.

munchnstuf on September 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM

RE:Chris_Balsz

That seemed directed at citizen rallies.

Guess you missed the whole: “Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice to see people pushing back but it certainly doesn’t equal representation in government” part. Indeed, it wasn’t directed at you at all.

“That seemed addressed to some sort of group, of which I was an example.”

Yes, I spelled it out: blowhard attention whore bandwagon hoppers who overcompensate for their own insecurities.

“Didn’t you just argue we can’t roll back entitlements?”

What I wrote was:”Show us (the reading audience) an entitlement program that once enacted has been taken away. Show us one.” You are welcome to try.

““sanctimonious blowhard” must be code for a free man,”

Nope, it means what it means. In this case it means someone who effectively helped elect Barack Obama while patting themselves on the back for being an uber conservative.

“How dare I speak! Who authorized me to speak!”

Just don’t expect applause for mental masturbation.

Boxy_Brown on September 23, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I see, I’m a member of a fringe kook faction without which you can achieve nothing of national importance–Obama’s victory was our gift. How sad for you.

Chris_Balsz on September 24, 2009 at 12:00 AM

In The words of Thomas Sowell, “I voted for disaster over catastrophe”. Till the day we don’t have to vote for the lesser of two evils, our liberty will twist in the wind.

Indian Outlaw on September 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM

RE.Chris_Balsz

You are excellent at putting words into other peoples mouths. Too bad you can’t rebut points.

Obama’s victory was our gift.

Wishing harm on the country to teach it a lesson is inherently traitorous. Stupid as well.

How sad for you.

It’s sad for the USA.

Boxy_Brown on September 24, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Once again, conservatives and libertarians shooting at themselves instead of the arrogant, lying marxist who is trying to transform our country to fascism or worse. Hey folks, it’s not about Beck! It’s not about McCain! It’s about FREEDOM! If you really want it, I suggest you quit shooting the messenger (leave that to the Courics of this world) and get busy dethroning the current naked emperor and his cronies. We need to keep the tea party movement growing or we will be the frogs in the pot.

Christian Conservative on September 24, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Jimmy Carter would have been a better choice than this POS that is destroying our nation.

elduende on September 24, 2009 at 2:48 AM

I’m sorry but you lost me. Yes, there are differences between Obama and McCain. And certainly Obama sucks. But frankly the argument is not one of “fill column A and column B and tell me which one fills up first”. John McCain would be worse for the country than Barack Obama and Beck is right about this.

pabarge on September 24, 2009 at 6:58 AM

lol.. I spewed coffee when I read that. For a while there I thought you were being serious.

popularpeoplesfront on September 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM