Video: Scarborough goes after Glenn Beck

posted at 6:26 pm on September 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

A choice cut of red meat to unite the tribes after last night’s civil war over Beck and Levin. Sneer at Scarborough if you like but all he’s doing in calling out people like Romney is anticipating a future media strategy against the GOP’s presidential contenders — i.e. amassing the kookiest or most incendiary stuff that Beck’s said and then putting them on the spot by asking them to denounce it. (Democrats are never asked to denounce Olbermann’s crap, of course, although that may be because no one watches Olbermann.) It’s the same shtick they pulled with Republican congressional leaders earlier this year vis-a-vis Limbaugh’s “I want him to fail” comment, but they’ll adapt it to GB going forward because (a) his exploding TV ratings make him a bigger media story than Rush, (b) he’s a richer vein than Rush for oddball material that can be used against the GOP, like that weird analysis of communist symbolism at 30 Rock from a few weeks ago, and (c) by hammering Beck they get to take a shot at Fox too. Why all Republicans should be asked to distance themselves from a guy who’s neither conservative nor Republican himself, nor even sure that he’d have voted for John McCain over Hillary Clinton, isn’t clear to me, but we’re talking politics here, not logic.

You won’t be surprised to hear that Matthews was pushing this same meme on “Hardball” tonight, replacing the call for “grown-ups” to denounce Beck with a call to denounce talk radio more generally. Say what you will about MSNBC but they know how to hit a talking point.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

If faux “conservatives” like Scarborough want to play kingmaker, so be it but let’s not ascribe any sort of nobility to their mission. Joe Scarbourough his a media hack who is on a third-rate cable network whose star pundit is Keith Oblermann.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

What consequences is he responsible for?

Pablo on September 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM

“I don’t care if the right-wing nuts get upset with me.”

Sorry Joey but most people are not aware that you even exist.

DeweyWins on September 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

If I was any GOP candidate I would fire back “Well at least they arent vice President”

William Amos on September 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Beck = TRUTH

1luckydogg on September 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Funny how the MSM never ask Obama(or whoever) to denounce lunatic statements from gore,pelosi,reid,dean,etc(actual politicians)…or how about asking them about polls that show at least 40% of dems are truthers/semi-truthers.

theTarCzar on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Well, I’m good with it. They are not going to ask serious questions anyway.

I used to think it was not serious for Matthews et al to ask if the candidate believes in evolution, etc during a presidential debate, but I was educated that was one of the most important issues because righty blogs blog on it with considerable frequency.

I like Joe, but I’m not exactly sure you can’t call the President a racist, especially when the press sec throws bombs. It may in fact be Beck’s statement that spurred the president to give the appearance of taking the highroad by saying opposition to him and his socialist policy is not racist.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Hey, how’s your book sales, you pandering clown?

Django on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

LAME

Beck has fired Van Jones, defunded ACORN, changed a government policy over Cash for clunkers, and got 1,000,000 (70k for lgf readers) people to march on DC

Scarborough gave us an impechment of Clinton and massive spending

Scarborough, Levin, and all RINOs need to STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

battleoflepanto1571 on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Scarborough is only fragging Beck to get someone, anyone to watch him.

entropent on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Why would we pay any more attention to what Scarborough thinks the GOP should do than we pay to Olbermann?

katiejane on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I’m with Levin, how can you attack Obama on a daily basis about Obama’s connection to marxist then say McCain was worse. Its not like McCain has any marxist connections. I’m no McCain fan but he isn’t close to Obama as far as radical connections.

lavell12 on September 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Joe ‘I bend over and take it for a paycheck’ Scarborough… Even crack-whores are embarrassed for Joe.

phreshone on September 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I apparently don’t understand the meaning of “red meat.”

kc8ukw on September 22, 2009 at 6:34 PM

who is this Joe guy?

LtE126 on September 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

yes and he made the Caucus on the Times as well, ignore all of this.

rob verdi on September 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

lavell12 on September 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

um because we wouldn’t protest a republican

AND these policies would be viewed as “republican”

and the countrys answer would be “elect democrats”

I agree

battleoflepanto1571 on September 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Scarborough, do I get a whiff of Frum from your words?

Why yes. Yes I do.

portlandon on September 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Ba-Zing!

And as a Republican politician, my answer to whether or not I agreed with Beck on anything would be, “He’s not a Republican. He said he’d vote for Clinton over McCain. It’s tough to agree with that.”

BadgerHawk on September 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

“I am sorry, in what way am I responsible for or required to answer for Mr. Beck? You really must direct your questions to him.”

See how easy that is?

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Hot Air clips of Morning Joe probably accounts for more than half that lame show’s viewership.

R Square on September 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I never listen to Scarborough, but I am getting a tad annoyed with Beck myself.

For one thing, I don’t think Beck is conservative. I think Levin is. I think Limbaugh is. But I don’t think Beck is…so a lot of the people who would go after Scarborough here probably are not really conservatives either. They might be Paulbots.

Today I was looking around a saw a post at neoneocon, about Iran. In that post she quotes Ledeen who says that millions of these young people were out in the streets again. They were chanting Death to Russia, Death to Chavez….

I think most conservatives really do care about Iran and the war on Terror, etc. But I have never gotten the impression that Beck is interested in any of that. The only government he has ever shown any real antipathy for, is our own.

Sorry, but I don’t trust the guy. Scarborough does not really matter one way or the other. But guys like Levin do.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Whatever….but man, Mika is sexy. Not neccessarily beautiful, certainly attractive, but damn sexy, in a naughty, high maintenace, pouty coquettish kind-a-way. Wait, this is Ace’s blog, right?

aquaviva on September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

At least Scarborough doesn’t out-right lie, like a guy named Allahpundit, who incidentally claimed just yesterday Beck was a “Paulnut” who’s weak on WoT.

A smear merchant should know how to deliver a smear without beclowning himself with obvious lies.

Aristotle on September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Sorry Joey but most people are not aware that you even exist.

DeweyWins on September 22, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Yeah, I didn’t know anyone was listening to anything this guy said to begin with. I give his advice about as much weight as I give any other MSNBC hack.

jtownsley on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Beck is taking the shots because he’s exposing the lies and corruption. He’s making a difference. They wouldn’t give him the time of day if he wasn’t taking it to them. Go Glenn Beck.

Who needs the rhinos and cowards?

texanpride on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Neither Joe Scarborough or Glenn Beck are conservative. Ugh. The “conservative” talking heads on television piss me off.

terryannonline on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

The short answer is, “Why should I distance myself from a Hillary Clinton supporter? Maybe you should ask the Democrats.”

DaMav on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Scarboroygh is just trying to stay on party list of the Washington and New York crowd; just like Peggy Noonan and Colin Powell.

Dire Straits on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

GE really wants those contracts for creating an electronic medical records database, doesn’t it?

a capella on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

For what it’s worth, on his radio show today, Glenn said he should’ve been more articulate on McCain being worse than Obama. He says it came across poorly.

Sorry no link or audio.

Free Constitution on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Aristotle on September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

The science is settled.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

MSNBC says:

Glenn Beck, meet our chihuahua — his name is Joe.

My collie says:

That’s not a REAL dog, is it?

CyberCipher on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

aquaviva on September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

dude i was gonna say

she is so fine

gotta hunt that

blatantblue on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Looks like the RINOs, establishment, old geezers, MSM, and elite hate or are petrified of Glenn Beck. All the more why I like Glenn.

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I think we should remember that Levin is buddies with Hannity.

Why do I mention that? Because I have this theory that there is some sort of feud between Beck and Hannity. Has anyone else noticed that they almost never mention each other? I don’t think I’ve heard either one mention the other’s name any more than 2 or 3 times since Beck came to Fox.

Hannity’s solo show sucks ass, and I don’t think anyone can deny it. It’s basically a rehash of everything Beck and the blogs talked about all day, only it’s terribly un-entertaining. Many of us have said we want Beck to take that 9:00 pm slot, and bump Hannity back to 10, and dump Greta or move her to 5. Either way, a lot of us want a shift that puts Beck in prime time, seeing as he’s already getting prime time ratings at 5pm.

At any rate, I don’t know if there is anything to this feud theory, but I have wondered about it for a while. So, could Levin just be trying to protect his pal, Hannity, who is concerned about being bumped by Beck?

RightWinged on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Isn’t that what you did when you said “it’s time to cut ties with their ilk?”

Ronnie on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

lavell12 on September 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I think what he means is now that Demonrats run everything people can focus their anger all in the direction of the biggest turds who are causing the problems.

Personally I find really really frustrating when Dems get away with running against Repubs for bad stuff they voted for. 2 shining examples being Bush 41′s 1990 budget deal that included tax increases passed by a Dem Congress and last year’s TARP nonsense that a lot more Dems voted voted for but got blamed on Rs cuz Bush was president.

gsherin on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Wait, this is Ace’s blog, right?

aquaviva on September 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Back to your bunk sailor.

portlandon on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Say what you will about MSNBC but they know how to hit a talking point.

Say what you will about AP, but he knows how to excite nerves.

Schadenfreude on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Scarborough has to pander to that left wing network if he wants to keep his job. It’s beyond me how any self respecting conservative could even be around those nuts all day long let alone work with them. Screw you Scarborough.

rplat on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I don’t like Glenn Beck. But Scarborough annoys me also. What the hell does Mitt Romney have to do with Glenn Beck? Has Mitt EVER appeared on Glenn’s show? Television pundits are a bunch of douchebags…except Krauthammer.

terryannonline on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Scarborough is simply pandering to his moronic base at MSNBC who want Beck hung in the public square… as a party we truly need to cast out faux conservatives like Scarborough who find it necessary to fault Beck yet remain silent on the truly slimy, such as Rahm, Barack, Harry, and Nancy. Scarborough would do well to speak from his heart rather than MSNBC talking points…

IntheNet on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Beck = fantastic

why the heck is there disagreement on this

look at what he’s done in the last few months

battleoflepanto1571 on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

“Say it ain’t so Joe”……..it seems PMSNBC crazy factor is getting to you……

alexraye on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

hey, he’s tougher than David Shuster!

JohnBissell on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

The consensus seems to be: Joe who?

SKYFOX on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Ditto Sarah Palin.

HAnthonyWayne on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Uh … Who watches MSNBC anyway?

darwin on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Scarborough used to be a conservative now he’s a hack of some sort, Olbermann’s a douche and Matthews is a waste of time. I don’t care what they say about Beck or anything for that matter.

MCGIRV on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

i watch morning joe every morning during my jog

aint bad

blatantblue on September 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Hannity’s solo show sucks ass

Plus Beck is beating Hannity two nights out of five from the 5:00 time slot. Granted, Hannity has more competition at 9:00, but that doesn’t change the fact that his show does indeed “suck ass.” He just pukes Republican talking points.

entropent on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

RightWinged on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I think you’re right, especially about Hannity’s show being weak, dull and derivative.

Django on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

aquavelva: Mika has the most inane comments…and you have to stomach the rest of that chicken coupe just to see the the pouty hooker look ….which only works for about 10 seconds….

Stupid show.

R Square on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Ditto Sarah Palin.

HAnthonyWayne on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

+100000

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Beck is PT Barnum. He loves the Drama,the thrills, the crowds and controlling the main ring under the big top.

That doesn’t mean he is 100% wrong. He is entertaining, and has done alot of good, but let’s not follow him off the cliffs just because he is playing a tune we all like.

portlandon on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I am no Beck fan per se. But maybe someone should let Joe know that it was Beck that brought on a guy from Popular Mechanics (who had debunked the 9/11 conspiracies for the magazine) to debunk the FEMA camps story.

The clips were still up on Foxnews.com over the summer.

mdconservative on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

You cannot call the President of the United States racist.

Lick some more ass, Joe. You can call anyone who subscribes to Black Liberation Theology racist, regardless of what office they hold.

MadisonConservative on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

When our so called conservative or republican government officials, congressmen or senators start cleaning up the mess in Washington with half the effectiveness Glenn has then maybe I will pay attention. I love Mark Levin and can’t stand Ron Paul but that doesn’t mean I can’t support or admire GB.

fourdeucer on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

O’Reilly who?

rjoco1 on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Joe Scarborough is just as much a poseur as is Glenn Beck.

terryannonline on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Forgot to say that Beck is right about McCain. People would not become informed of the corruption and agenda on both sides of the aisle if McCain had been elected, we would have had another term of liberal lite. People are beginning to see just how corrupt the politicians on both sides of the aisle are because Obama is pushing his agenda so arrogantly and with such speed.

texanpride on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Sneer at Scarborough if you like

I think I will. What the hell would Scarborough know anyway? His asinine a-bomb of a book was all about how we need more McCain to start winning…

Lehosh on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

RightWinged on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

You’re right…they don’t like each other. This was awhile back, but when it was announced that Beck was going to Fox he mentioned on his radio show that he got a message of welcome aboard or something from Hannity. Glenn and whomever he talks to (Stu??) mocked it. I can’t remember what was said, and it wasn’t a long bit, but I remember thinking at the time how classless it was for them to do. I’m not a huge Hannity fan, but that rubbed me the wrong way.

I think Limbaugh, Hannity, and Levin are basically a clique, and they view everyone else as illegitimate talkers. Its stupid, but all three of them have huge egos and Beck is the flavor of the month.

changer1701 on September 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Say what you will about MSNBC
posted at 6:26 pm on September 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

Okay then [edited] and [edited]. There’s the time [edited]

Who are you and what have you done with AP? Ed?

Blacksmith8 on September 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Ditto Sarah Palin.

HAnthonyWayne on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

+100000

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I’m an old geezer and I like Beck and I LOVE Palin.

Jeff from WI on September 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

IntheNet on September 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

have to agree with ya there…he gets one right every once in awhile, but for the most part he bashes conservative just as much as the libs on the show…

cmsinaz on September 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Beck has done a great service to our Country.

Throw him under the bus at your peril.

Surely we are smarter than this.

Thanks, Beck. All great patriots are a little eccentric. It makes it easier to stand up in the crowd of sitdowns and take the shots.

eaglesdontflock on September 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Did Beck ever say that Obama hates all white people? I think this guy needs to be taken to court.

the_nile on September 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Who is this Scarborough guy? Is he a conservative?

d1carter on September 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Beck is a lightweight but he’s got a big megaphone and he’s giving Hell to the comintern-and-chief.

R Square on September 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

So Glenn Beck can’t call himself a conservative anymore?

Dan Minardi on September 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Ditto Sarah Palin.

HAnthonyWayne on September 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

+100000

cubachi on September 22, 2009 at 6:43 PM

I’d buy a ticket on that train.

Blacksmith8 on September 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Joe Scarborough is just as much a poseur as is Glenn Beck.

terryannonline on September 22, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Whom do you like, exactly? Is there anyone you listen to, or do you have a problem with talk radio in general? I’m just curious.

changer1701 on September 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Glenn Beck is piecing together an absolute spiderweb of organizations that have been decades in the making. These organizations were built with the intent of changing America into something that will look much like a Marxist governed nation.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Glenn had the help of right minded people who are in a position to actually help disclose these discoveries to the people of America? It seems that Glenn is made out to be a nutter more often than not at this site. What a shame.

Keemo on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

changer1701 on September 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

I think Levin has an ego problem, I think Beck has a drama problem, and Hannity is stuck on the same track all the time. And I’m sure Levin is jealous.

But lets not throw Rush in that group unless you have specifics. He is in general quite generous to others including bloggers. I think he stays above it all.

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Scarborough is just trying to make himself relevant. Jealousy is a powerful thing…

libertylady on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

So Glenn Beck can’t call himself a conservative anymore?

Dan Minardi on September 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

It changes day to day here. Yesterday he was a RINO. Today he’s not even a Republican. Just flip a coin.

Ronnie on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Sneer at Scarborough if you like…

Okay. Thanks. I’m sneering.

rrpjr on September 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Just when I thought there couldn’t be a “right-wing” commentator I liked less than Beck, Scarborough comes along to prove me wrong.

ChePibe on September 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I denounce Scarborough.
I also denounce Allahpundit.

Blake on September 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I was sitting around a oceanside pool today, south FL, Palm Beach County, and a couple of old-timers were talking about “this guy on TV who’s doing a great job, telling it like it is”.

Guess what?

They weren’t talking about Scarborough.

aquaviva on September 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I’m a conservative, what are you?

d1carter on September 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

changer1701 on September 22, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Limbaugh has spoken highly of Glenn Beck on a few occassions recently. Rush has stated that Glenn is doing great investigative work.

Keemo on September 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

changer1701 on September 22, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Right now just about everyone on television is angering me. I guess the only television pundit I like right now is Krauthammer. That is about. I listen to Dennis Prager and Hugh Hewitt on the radio.

terryannonline on September 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM

And if Beck is right, then what?

tarpon on September 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Good for Beck! Joe who?

gator70 on September 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Wasn’t so mucha tribe war last night AP as it was another confrontation between Paultards and adults.

catmman on September 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM

hmmmm, Scarboroughs radio show is on at the same time as Becks…………

ctmom on September 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Say what you will about MSNBC but they know how to hit a talking point.

Ever since they edited video about an open-carrier in order to flagrantly and dishonestly make a bogus race argument, I give MSNBC no credit for anything.

MadisonConservative on September 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

While we are looking for new conservative leadership….can we fire everyone who calls themselves a conservative commentator on television and get some new blood?

terryannonline on September 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Ronnie on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Just settle on a terrorist loving Paulnut who’s hating on war on terror all day long!

Aristotle on September 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Obama hates all white people? I think this guy needs to be taken to court.

the_nile on September 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM

As the President, technically they call it impeach. But I’m in favor him leaving office early.

Blacksmith8 on September 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

I’m sure that if we stopped watching Glenn Beck the press would play nice.

/eyeroll

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it…

flyfisher on September 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Spirit of 1776 on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

You’re right…I haven’t listened to him in months but I never heard Rush criticize another talker. I included him because he and Levin and Hannity all seem to be friends. Frankly, I never heard Hannity say anything either, though I listened to him very infrequently. Levin, though, doesn’t mind mucking it up with the others, especially the morning “backbenchers” and Michael Savage. Its clear Beck thinks he’s cut from a different cloth and wants to blaze his own trail, whereas the others think he’s just following in their footsteps.

I don’t know, its all pretty ridiculous. The focus should be on the Left.

changer1701 on September 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

catmman on September 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Bingo!!! Hit the nail on the head…

Keemo on September 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice if Glenn had the help of right minded people who are in a position to actually help disclose these discoveries to the people of America? It seems that Glenn is made out to be a nutter more often than not at this site from some on the right. What a shame.

Keemo on September 22, 2009 at 6:48 PM

100% Agreement.

aquaviva on September 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Genius or madness? Man of the people and quintessential revolutionary: Glenn Beck. Hooah!

publiuspen on September 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM

And replace them with Hewitt and Prager? No thanks.

entropent on September 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM