Video: Scarborough goes after Glenn Beck

posted at 6:26 pm on September 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

A choice cut of red meat to unite the tribes after last night’s civil war over Beck and Levin. Sneer at Scarborough if you like but all he’s doing in calling out people like Romney is anticipating a future media strategy against the GOP’s presidential contenders — i.e. amassing the kookiest or most incendiary stuff that Beck’s said and then putting them on the spot by asking them to denounce it. (Democrats are never asked to denounce Olbermann’s crap, of course, although that may be because no one watches Olbermann.) It’s the same shtick they pulled with Republican congressional leaders earlier this year vis-a-vis Limbaugh’s “I want him to fail” comment, but they’ll adapt it to GB going forward because (a) his exploding TV ratings make him a bigger media story than Rush, (b) he’s a richer vein than Rush for oddball material that can be used against the GOP, like that weird analysis of communist symbolism at 30 Rock from a few weeks ago, and (c) by hammering Beck they get to take a shot at Fox too. Why all Republicans should be asked to distance themselves from a guy who’s neither conservative nor Republican himself, nor even sure that he’d have voted for John McCain over Hillary Clinton, isn’t clear to me, but we’re talking politics here, not logic.

You won’t be surprised to hear that Matthews was pushing this same meme on “Hardball” tonight, replacing the call for “grown-ups” to denounce Beck with a call to denounce talk radio more generally. Say what you will about MSNBC but they know how to hit a talking point.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Joe, how can you look at Obama’s close relationship with race hustlers and whitey haters like Jeremiah Wright and Van Jones and NOT conclude his conduct in the Gates affair exposed a streak of racism?

The problem is not that Beck called him out on it… it’s that not enough others have the courage to do the same. Only when we start judging men — especially our political representatives — by the content of their character will we have a truly post-racial society. Had the situation been reversed and Bush inserted himself in a dispute between a rich white Harvard professor and a black police officer and came down on the side of his race-baiting crony and called the police “stupid” would you denounce the “Bush is a racist” accusations that would surely come from your co-workers at MSNBC? And if so shame on you. Because a racist is a racist and deserves public scorn.

miles on September 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Scarborough has some type of twisted logic concerning Beck’s ratings. He says at CNN Beck was treading water and the machine at Fox made the difference. Not Beck. Is that a load of BS or what?

CNN Headline news has no ratings to speak of period. Beck moved to a network that typically blows all the other cable news networks out of the water combined. Beck was put into an environment with a bigger audience, but his time slot is hardly one of the best. Yet, Beck has moved that hour into competition with O’Reilly’s prime hour. I think Beck deserves credit for that one.

Do ya think maybe Scarborough sent his resume to Fox and it was quickly put in file 13?

joedoe on September 23, 2009 at 12:08 PM

I have a real problem with Beck stating that McCain would have been a worse president than Obama… Regardless of what we think of McCain and his lack of conservatism, he is frugal and would never under any circumstances spent the amount of money this bafoon has endorsed. Under no circumstance would he ever have surrounded himself with the individuals that Obama has. I cannot stand Joe Scarborough and his almighty view of what conservatism is.. However, Glen is over the top, arrogant at this point and while I respect others opinion, I for one am done with him. just my two cents.

shar61 on September 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I hope I’m not mis-interpreting or over-simplifying this but it seems to me you are saying that ‘our’ side cannot make extravagant remarks because they might be used against us in the future? That might make genuine sense only if the left was not guilty of it themselves on many fronts. Seems to me that we (and Glen)can use the tactic just as well as MSNBC and the rest of the left. I don’t plan to worry about it any time soon.

jeanie on September 23, 2009 at 12:33 PM

they got john stossell, guess that scarborough wants a new job now. I think Stossell got fired for doing a piece on healthcare.

workingforpigs on September 23, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Joe Scarborough was a real crusader during the 2000 recount. Since he left politics and joined MSNBC he has completely left the Conservative reservation. I can’t even claim to admire him anymore.

hawkdriver on September 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I’m left with the same feeling I get from people who want to ban books they’ve never read.

T.D.D. on September 23, 2009 at 1:26 PM

hawkdriver on September 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Exactly. He was watchable when he first started his evening show. Now, he is just another Elitist. Good to see you, Buddy. God Bless.

kingsjester on September 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Joe Scarborough is the Republican mouthpiece – typical Republican that Rush talks about, spineless weasels that want to win the drive-by medias approval

charlie36r on September 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Stossel was not fired. He left for a job with Fox.

phillygirl on September 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM

BO doesn NOT hate all white people. But, it is undeniable that he is a racist.

proconstitution on September 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I live in Scarborough’s home town(Pensacola, Fl.) & have followed him through the years. I have never voted for him or watched his TV show.
Just hope Fox is smart enough to stay clear of this two faced politician.

Gulf Coast on September 23, 2009 at 3:48 PM

The question here is “Is anything that Glenn Beck has said untrue?” If it is untrue than why did they throw Van Jones under the bus? Why did they take down the snitch site? why did they take the “The government owns your computer now” rhetoric off of the cash for clunkers site?
I have watched his show from day one (FOX and HLN). That show is one long history lesson.
I have never heard a hateful word come out of that man’s mouth. He is truly concerned about the country, and he has called it right on every occasion. Why then do twits like Joe say that he is hateful? It’s a sad day when history, and preaching freedom, and liberty is considered “Hate speech.”
Is he passionate? Oh yeah!
They can’t get him on substance so they have to get him on style. I think that they are just upset that his little 5 o’clock show gets more ratings than their entire network.

webdemon on September 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I haven’t reaed thru all 5 pages of comments so please forgive if being redundant. I watch parts of MJ every morning, usually when Fox goes to commmercial. Joe has repeatedly degraded, made fun of Beck. It always strikes me as petty. It just makes Joe look bad. Anyone who reads this or other conservative-leaning sites knows that GB is kicking Joe’s butt as far as ratings and book sales. Joe, please, just be quiet. You should totally ignore Beck’s existence. It’s making you look like a sore loser.

humdinger on September 23, 2009 at 5:28 PM

… let Mika’s fake breasts garner whatever meager ratings they may.

BlueStateBilly on September 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

(Stunned silence…)

Oh, dude.

Jaibones on September 23, 2009 at 6:26 PM

“You cannot call the President of the United States a racist.”

Unless, of course, he is one.

Aquateen Hungerforce on September 23, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Oh look. Scarborough forgot to mention that Beck looked into the FEMA Camps story and debunked it when no one else would.

The people in the elite media keep forgetting to mention this. Beck had to correct Katie Couric on this point as well. So either you heard it from someone else and just repeated it without checking, or you just lied Joe…

Some news guy you turned out to be.

Chuck Norton on September 23, 2009 at 8:12 PM

“You cannot call the President of the United States a racist.”

Why not, they call most Republicans that so often that it is impossible to keep count.

Chuck Norton on September 23, 2009 at 8:14 PM

What if a white presidential candidate sat in an over the top racist church for 20 years… he would be called a racist every day of his presidency.

Chuck Norton on September 23, 2009 at 8:15 PM

The smaller that tv audiences get… the more they spend time on the “news” to discuss other tv personalities.

Oh, I weep for our country.

V-rod on September 23, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Who is Scarborough? This is the first time I have heard of him. Does anyone actually watch him? Why did
Allah even bother to post this?

paulsur on September 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Why did
Allah even bother to post this?

paulsur on September 23, 2009 at 9:15 PM

because anything railing on Beck makes Allah pleased, and that makes him feel like a real boy!

I_C on September 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Why does Joe Scarborough think right wingnuts know who he is?

ctmom on September 24, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Someone should smack Scarborough upside the head to get the needle to skip onto the right track. Also, Mika Brzezinski needs to stay quite and look pretty so Joe and others on the program look good by distracting their attention to a truly dumb blonde

MSGTAS on September 24, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Joe simply sips his KoolAid while the hardcore socialists gulp it down.

kens on September 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I AM A SERIOUS JOURNALIST I BOIL FROGS LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME

Dave Rywall on September 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM

More of Allahpundit attacking Glenn Beck and feltching John McShamnesty. When is Hotair going to become LGF?
Now Allahpundit is miming PMSNBC. Man is it ever getting deep in here.

nelsonknows on September 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I’m STILL calling Allahpundit out, SHOW YOUR FACE, like Glenn Beck, like I did on T.V. I get threatened by leftists on a daily basis on the internet, I give them my address and invite them over to be shot.

nelsonknows on September 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM