Video: And now, an important message from celebrities on ObamaCare

posted at 4:10 pm on September 22, 2009 by Allahpundit

People I recognized in this video: Ferrell, the schmuck from “Mad Men,” and, tragically, Tom Lennon and Ben Garant of the late, great “Reno 911!” Thank goodness in hindsight that it was canceled this summer; the thought of having to boycott it over these two cutting an ad for one of the filthiest, most unprincipled left-wing PACs in Washington fills me with sadness.

As always with these spot-the-celebrity political spots, it’s boring and three times longer than it needs to be simply in order to accommodate everyone involved with sufficient camera time. Not one in 10 of you will make it all the way through, but as an incentive to get you to try, you’ll discover that (a) apparently 80 percent of America is gung ho for the public option, which is news to me and to the dozens of Blue Dogs terrified of what’ll happen to them next year if they vote for this sinkhole, and (b) people who make millions churning out one unwatchable piece of bilge after another inexplicably feel no shame in accusing insurance executives of being overpaid. Happy viewing.

Update (Ed): Here’s Will Farrell’s pay from a few of his movies, courtesy of IMDB:

Salary

• Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006): $20,000,000
  • Bewitched (2005): $20,000,000
  • Kicking & Screaming (2005): $20,000,000
  • Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004): $7,000,000

No one who pocketed $20 million for any movie, let alone Bewitched and Talladega Nights, has any room to talk about overpaid execs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Ferrell? Lennon? Garant?

Never heard of ‘em. Don’t care.

atheling on September 22, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Outside of Will Farrell, I have never heard of any of these celebrities. I suspected I was out of touch, I guess this proves it.

HeIsSailing on September 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Personally, I’ve always thought Ferrell was the worst, overpaid, so-called comedian ever. But now I realize that it’s only because he’s really a statesman and politician just pretending to be a comedian and actor. I should have known.

NNtrancer on September 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Wait! Will Ferrell is supposed to be a comedian?

eclark1849 on September 23, 2009 at 12:25 AM

It’s a little anti-capitalist to knock Ferrel for how much money he has made from his movies, when for the most part he makes it back for the studios. Art VS Commerce though.

It seems to me a foolish thing getting celebrities involved in health care when its one of the least elitist issues out there, in that it affects anyone and everyone. Maybe celebrities telling stories about how they cared for their parents and grandparents on their deathbed or through ordeals, preferably before they were rich and famous would have been more effective.

PunditFight on September 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM

The rwb fam had finally found a show we enjoy…My Boys, with Jim Gaffigan. Jim is a funny guy and was not in this stinkin moveon piece of junk, but the girl who plays his sister in My Boys was. I watched this thing twice to be certain. Oh well, back to Lassie re-runs.

redwhiteblue on September 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM

meoky on September 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM

War Eagle!

stldave on September 22, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Ole Miss BY DAMN!!!

Tho I will admit,after having worked a number of frat parties at Auburn the past coupla years, you guys are pretty cool.

MSU..meh. ;)

soundingboard on September 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Oops, meant to say forget about the Pac-10…they’re on their own.

stldave on September 22, 2009 at 5:43 PM

No…I think you had it right when you said PAC 1.

hehe

soundingboard on September 23, 2009 at 12:56 AM

I’m sorry,,, but this is absolute crap.

deedtrader on September 23, 2009 at 1:15 AM

who the heck are all those numbnuts in that video? I didn’t recognize any of them? Are they anyone I should be aware of? Guess I just don’t watch a lot of tv or movies anymore. Were they trying to be sarcastic or something? I found this just plain old dumbass and a minute or so of my time I’ll never get back. Thanks for nothing AP.

fullogas on September 23, 2009 at 1:28 AM

I’m not watching I think Ferrel… and want to enjoy Elf this Christmas…

But if people think it is tough when an insurance company screws up. What happens when it is single payer and that payer is the all powerful government. Good luck getting fair treatment from the government!

When an insurance company messes up lots of people ditch it and go to a different company. What when the US healthcare fails we go to Canada?

There are worse things than expensive healthcare.

Give me liberty or give me death.

Why can’t people think all the way through their reasoning.

If I have free healthcare but am the bought and paid for slave of the government I have no freedom.

We need to fix the problems in our otherwise great system and leave the communism to the South Americans and Euros.

petunia on September 23, 2009 at 2:15 AM

PunditFight on September 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I knocked the wealthy Will Farrell for his ARROGANCE.

HE doesn’t have to worry about paying for the consequences of health care socialization, since he has enough dough to circumvent the destruction of American health care by getting on a plane and going abroad to see primo doctors.

The rest of us do have to worry about paying for the consequences of health care socialization. Shame on Will Farrell.

Edouard on September 23, 2009 at 2:18 AM

1. Over regulate until the system fails.
2. Use the system failure as an excuse to move to a whole new system.

Their lips are moving…

The Rock on September 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Worth repeating.

Django on September 23, 2009 at 2:58 AM

I’m so pissed. I don’t know what happened to Will Farrell. Most of us at USC at the time were rabid conservatives (I actually got to meet Ronald Reagan at the election night party in 1984–I was working as a Secret Service approved 19 year old hostess in the VIP area–BEST.NIGHT.EVER). I can’t watch anything with him in it again, not because I’m boycotting him, but because I’m disgusted by him (I can’t watch a lot of movies because of the disgust factor).

JackofNoTrades on September 23, 2009 at 3:01 AM

Allah’s a prophet all right– I couldn’t watch more than 10 seconds.

leftnomore on September 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM

Talladega Nights was horrible, never saw Bewitched.

Anchorman is some fine comedy though.

omnipotent on September 23, 2009 at 3:10 AM

Will Farrell is the only person I recognize on this You Tube….maybe he needs to stick to acting or get some health care in his native Canada.

yoda on September 23, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Great. Another freakin dumbass Canadian telling me what is best for me.
Go home.

BigAlSouth on September 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Brainless twits who haven’t read the bill and who will not be affected by the bill, so their opinion is irrelevant.

And they got their facts wrong. 80% of the American people DO NOT WANT GOVERNMENT HEATHCARE especially Obamunistcare.

dogsoldier on September 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Other than Farrell, who I don’t think is the least bit funny, I never heard of the rest. I suppose they’re looking for their 15 mins of fame/shame.

blr2449 on September 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM

I’ll skip the video, thanks. Most representatives from the film industry are idiots. Why give them the time of day?

zoyclem on September 23, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Did Obama approve this message during some illegal conference call? ;)

Stevel on September 23, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Rule #1 of celebritydom: There’s no such thing as bad publicity.

Bevan on September 23, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Oh, wait, I get it, they mean the opposite of what they are saying. Wow, Ferrell has NEVER done this schtick before?

allstonian on September 23, 2009 at 11:46 AM

And I thought the Holiday Inn Express was booked solid when those two actors from Scrubs barfed out endorsements earlier this month.

Guess some vacancies finally opened up.

Ryan Gandy on September 23, 2009 at 11:48 AM

It says it all, and says it well. If anyone took their orders from the hypocrites in Hollywood, than I strongly advise an MRI of their brains.

The first Ferrel movie I watched, was Ron Burgundy. Mildly amusing, but mostly stupid. I liked Brick though. However, having viewed a few more of his movies, such as Talladega Nights, and Blades of Glory….I realized one thing. In every movie, Will plays the same character. Only the setting has changed. Now that’s range man, and one day he’ll probably get a lifetime achievment from this slop. After all…Hollyweird is nothing but a cesspool of narcissists, looking for constant attention, and validation.

capejasmine on September 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I don’t think the entire CEO compensation for the insurance industry amounts to $100 million.

drjohn on September 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM

an important message from celebrities

Seems like a word missing here. Shouldn’t it be “celebrity imbeciles”? Or perhaps, might I suggest, “celebrity pinheads.”

curved space on September 23, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Will Farrell? Unfunny fraud. never heard of the others

james23 on September 23, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I refuse to watch any ‘actor’ try and discuss any political thought. Any thought, for that matter, unless it has to do with some movie or show they are/were in.

bridgetown on September 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Actors in the PSA and a recent tv show you might know them from…

Jon Hamm – Don Draper (Madmen-tv)
Will Farrel – you know that already
Donald Faison – Dr. Christopher Turk (Scrubs-tv)
Jordana Spiro – P.J. Franklin (My Boys-tv)
Masi Oka – Hiro Nakamura (Heroes-tv)
Linda Cardellini – Nurse Taggart (ER-tv)
Robert Ben Garant – Deputy Travis Junior (Reno911-tv)
Olivia Wilde – #13 Dr. Hadley (House-tv)
Thomas Lennon – Lt.Jim Dangle (Reno 911-tv)

B3 on September 23, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Aaaahhhhh… The hypocrisy of these so called “celebrities” They complain about profits when they are receiving good profits of their own, but of course there is no problem with those.

I’d love to see a boycott of every actor out there until they start cutting their 10- 20 million dollar paycheck per movie. If Wall Street executives are being forced to cut their pays, why shouldn’t actors be forced to do the same? After all the make the same money an executive makes per year- if not more- but per movie. Let’s see if they like their big government daddy then. Even some of the lesser known names in this video make per episode what many people do in a year of hard work.

The entertainment left don’t get what all of us are saying because they don’t need to adjust pricing or adapt to the economy. If you have a business in a recession probably you will lower prices or offer extra incentives for people to buy your product. Do Actors lower their pay during a recession? When was the last time that Ferrell or Clooney said “I’ll charge a quarter of my usual fee?”. And then these people are the first to demonize profit in the private sector?

Of course they don’t get either that INSURANCE IS NOT A RIGHT. and companies need to make a profit in order to survive.

Well, I don’t care for any of the actors in this video. Don’t like Ferrell, didn’t watch Reno 911 or Scrubs, and never even bothered checking Mad Men. I see the girl from House in there so I guess that’s off my grid from now on.

ptcamn on September 23, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I’ve only seen Anchorman (because my wife had rented it) and didn’t think it was really all that funny. Have no interest in seeing the others, and only kinda sorta know who this guy even is.

For those in the know, I suppose what he has to say carries a lot of water with some folks…but, I assume they’re down with the Leftist thing anyway.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Not one in 10 of you will make it all the way through

How’s this? I’m not even clicking on it. I have enough aggravating my high blood pressure with this clown Obama in the White House.

Can I sue him for aggravating my condition? Actually, I would have to include a bunch of politicians, not all of them Dems…

disa on September 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Celebrities Required to Release New Version of Their ObamaCare PSA Under Democrat-Supported “Fairness Doctrine” http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/09/celebrities-required-to-release-new.html

Mervis Winter on September 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM

There’s an awesome response to this video on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwmkCVa0u1w

lanesmerge on September 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Best video response: Picks apart the Ferrell video piece by piece. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNl3KcFN2ZM

metric on September 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM