Obama Cabinet official: Americans are children …

posted at 10:12 am on September 22, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The last we heard from Steven Chu, Barack Obama’s Secretary of Energy, someone had to explain to him that oil policy fell within his “domain.”  Now that Chu has apparently mastered what exactly energy means, he now wants to act as a parent to recalcitrant Americans who stubbornly insist on making their own choices in life.  The Wall Street Journal reports on Chu’s attitude towards the role of government, and especially his condescending attitude towards the governed:

When it comes to greenhouse-gas emissions, Energy Secretary Steven Chu sees Americans as unruly teenagers and the Administration as the parent that will have to teach them a few lessons.

Speaking on the sidelines of a smart grid conference in Washington, Dr. Chu said he didn’t think average folks had the know-how or will to to change their behavior enough to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions.

“The American public…just like your teenage kids, aren’t acting in a way that they should act,” Dr. Chu said. “The American public has to really understand in their core how important this issue is.” (In that case, the Energy Department has a few renegade teens of its own.)

That last bit of snark references an audit that the Department of Energy failed in its own facilities.  They’re apparently unable to work modern climate-control systems to keep from air conditioning and heating facilities unnecessarily while unoccupied.  Some buildings didn’t even have proper controls installed, and others just weren’t used properly.  Equipment was left powered overnight, including computer monitors.  The White House had similar problems with its audit.

With that humbling experience in mind, one might think that Chu and the Obama administration would approach energy policy with a little more humility.  Nope!  Instead, Chu talks about American citizens as if they cannot be trusted to make their own choices and the need to parent us rather than govern us with our consent.  Most of us have already had parents and don’t see the need to have our elected officials take their place.

And if this is the attitude of the Obama administration on energy policy, just imagine what the attitude will be when they take charge of our health-care system.

This is nothing more than a slightly more honest look at the attitude of the Left when it comes to governance.  It’s all about paternalism and condescension, and the belief that a group of elites should be appointed to rule over the unwashed and unschooled masses for their own good.  That has never been consonant with the American experience, which allows the individual to make his own choices and live with the consequences.  Chu gives us a good look at the liberal soul, and most Americans will not like what they see.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Radical liberals are obsessed with controlling how everyone ELSE lives their lives. It’s their raison d’etre.

Daggett on September 22, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Yet ANOTHER reason to start voting these clowns out, starting in 2010!

Khun Joe on September 22, 2009 at 10:16 AM

That WSJ piece should have been titled “How to Win Friends and Influence People: Obama Administration Style.”

flyfisher on September 22, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Chu Chu KaChu.

ICBM on September 22, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I never had to tell my parents to live within their budgets.

Vashta.Nerada on September 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM

The Energy Secretary or the Behavior Czar??????

sammypants on September 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Everything the liberals accuse Americans in general of is strictly projection. In essence, Chu and company are the ones that need adult supervision…and that is plain scary.

How much evidence do we need to prove this theory?

javamartini on September 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM

For a party that’s all about “TEH CHOICE!!” when it comes to ripping a baby out of the womb, they’re really not all that into choices when it comes to everything else.

crazy_legs on September 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Our government officials aren’t competent enough to replace my parents

michaelo on September 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Apparently, the only thing the left thinks Americans are capable making their own decision about is whether or not to kill their baby.

Funny Americans can be trusted to make a decision to end a life through abortion, but not to understand that they don’t like someone else spending their money in DC.

ThackerAgency on September 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Did he just call us unruly teenagers? I say we egg his house.

trubble on September 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

He needs to go

clnurnberg on September 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Sorry sort off topic. Is anyone listening to Beck right now?? The video he is airing that is being shown in schools is making me sick. Resource extraction = trashing the planet!!!

sammypants on September 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Many of us have known of this attitude for years, but it is refreshing to hear it confessed. Read “Born Liberal, Raised Right”.

oldleprechaun on September 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If we lived in a just world, liberals would practice what they preach, i.e., live in mud huts and give free rides to “amerikkka’s victims” on rickshaws as a way of life.

Bleed_thelizard on September 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM

If the American people are too stupid to figure out how to conserve then why are most localities threatening to raise taxes on water and gasoline because of the enormous shortfall in revenues due to conservation? We aren’t too stupid to recognize IRONY.

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Yep, that’s me in a nutshell. Hell, I can barely get dressed myself, forget about tying my shoes or brushing my teeth. Damn, I’m glad we got Obama, he can help me with everything.

doonuts on September 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Dear Mr. Chu,

You need recycling.

Hugs,

People way smarter than you

fogw on September 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM

You know folks, at least 52% of Americans want to be controlled. Just look at the results of the last election. It is not like Obama and friends actually tried to hide anything.

Johnnyreb on September 22, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Dr. Fuman Chu is a good example for never letting academics into a political position to treat humans like lab rats.

BL@KBIRD on September 22, 2009 at 10:24 AM

So much fringe elitism in this administration

Green Muse on September 22, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Bottom line, “the people” make choices to conserve energy to save money. It works. “The people” do more than enough.

Not even the richest of us leave lights on all night long, because we pick out the light-timer gadgets and learn how to use them.

It is only pure fantasy (and obsessive analysis of statistics) that lead to the the belief that a light bulb that uses 50% less energy will save 50% – when we only use the bulb at 20%.

Morons.

Agrippa2k on September 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Did he just call us unruly teenagers? I say we egg his house.

I’ll drive and bring the toilet paper to finish the job…

Chicost84 on September 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM

The Professor-in-Chief himself revealed in one of his Sunday interviews that his only problem in selling healthcare – not that he’s trying to sell something we don’t want to buy – is that the citizenry is just too stupid to understand it. He’s quoted in the NYT so it must be true – our stupidity has humbled him!

In his interview on ABC, Mr. Obama was asked whether he had a moment in the early months of his presidency when he realized that he needed to do better. “I think there have been times where I have said, ‘I’ve got to step up my game in terms of talking to the American people about issues like health care,’ ” Mr. Obama said.

Mr. Stephanopoulos, the interviewer, said: “You lost control?”

“Well, not so much lost control, but where I’ve said to myself, ‘somehow I’m not breaking through,’ ” Mr. Obama said. He added: “It’s very hard for people to get their whole arms around it. And that’s been a case where I have been humbled.”

Drained Brain on September 22, 2009 at 10:26 AM

It’s all about control..

PatriotRider on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I’ll drive and bring the toilet paper to finish the job…

Chicost84 on September 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Can I key his Prius?

thomasaur on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM

This reminds me of Thomas Sowell’s classic “A Conflict of Visions.”

Everyone, Libs too, should read it immediately.

visions on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I have a co-worker that doesn’t like “conservatives” because they want to control your life. I don’t think he even reads the news. I love the fact that the government constantly fails to do what they expect us simpletons to do. Didn’t Pelosi say that the house would be carbon netrual by now?

smrtas1 on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I never had to tell my parents to live within their budgets.

Vashta.Nerada on September 22, 2009 at 10:17 AM

+100

Blacksmith8 on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Did he just call us unruly teenagers? I say we egg his house.

trubble on September 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

And toilet paper his house…the next time it rains…

ladyingray on September 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM

DrFooManChew

davidk on September 22, 2009 at 10:28 AM

That’s not Governing That’s called Ruling! There is a Big Difference. We are still a Republic, we are still “We The People” Chu is one more of those people, who have not had to produce in the private sector. Obama’s administration is full of them – or full of it, take your pick. Obama is turning the Government into a Progressive “laboratory” the truth is there is no need to experiment – Socialism fails always.

Dr Evil on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

thomasaur on September 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Now, now, I am all for helping TP the house, no damaging private property.

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Hey Stephen, Chu on this, this, this, and this…funny how you think that our power needs will be resolved from turning off a few lights.

right2bright on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

When is someone gonna explain how 1 degree in global temperature is a problem when local temperatures range from -40 Fahrenheit to +140. Show me that model. The fact that this understanding is not universal make me suspicious.

Now if the temperature of the Earths core is rising, I might be worried.

Agrippa2k on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I don’t care what delusional facts he trots out, once you start offending people and insulting their intelligence, you’re done.

sherry on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Ya’ know… if we are talking about the liberal half of the public, then, yep, they pretty much are teeny boppers.

bitsy on September 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Maybe this is what we need: “Cap-and-Trade Bill Expanded to Develop Markets in Household Radical Environmentalists” http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/05/cap-and-trade-bill-expanded-to-develop.html

Mervis Winter on September 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM

This is one type of parent who I wouldn’t mind seeing end-of-life counseling by a death panel. As for Mr. Chu, if he really sees Americans this way he needs to immediately resign his job because he is unfit for the office.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

our gubmint just went from big brother to daddy, and they can’t figure out why i don’t like them. (gubmint that is).

SHARPTOOTH on September 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

If they would all just stop talking we could really cut down on those greenhouse gas emissions…..

PatriotRider on September 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Now, now, I am all for helping TP the house, no damaging private property.

Cindy Munford on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

OK (hangs head and kicks the dirt) : (

thomasaur on September 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Did he just call us unruly teenagers? I say we egg his house.

trubble on September 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I have to stop off for TP after work…I’ll pick up an extra pack.

Let’s roll…

Joe Caps on September 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Can I key his Prius?

LMAO!

Chicost84 on September 22, 2009 at 10:32 AM

At least 22% of voters acted like teenagers in the last election–I assume that the remaining 30% of Obama’s voted consisted of blacks and committed anti-Americans. At any rate, most parents don’t continue to make decisions for their teenagers; they train them how to think on their own.

In my soul, I really understand that I want this clown and his boss to have the shortest terms in office possible–Chu by dismissal and Obama by election out.

BuckeyeSam on September 22, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Told you.

Progressive Liberals believe that because their brains are larger than most, they have an obligation to protect us from ourselves. How “intellectual” of them.

pjean on September 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Let’s unroll…

Joe Caps on September 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM

thomasaur on September 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM

sherry on September 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

or elected president…

right4life on September 22, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I have one elitest thought, that more liberty is better than less.

Is this time for one of those smart lefty shirts like “Chuck Fu”?

WashJeff on September 22, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Daggett on September 22, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Yes, it’s the elitism the envy and the need to control other people , for their own good though..

the_nile on September 22, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Hey, Dr. Chu, dude, I believe I understand, in my “core”, about gas emissions….pull my finger.

ziggyville on September 22, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Since we’re all teenagers… from my English homework

con·de·scen·sion (kŏn’dĭ-sěn’shən)
n.
1. The act of condescending or an instance of it.

2. Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude.

Chicost84 on September 22, 2009 at 10:37 AM

The largest amount of greenhouse-gas emissions is coming straight out of Washington D.C., (or in this case, the United Nation’s building)

Obama just finished his address to the UN proclaiming the screed of global climate change—-the biggest HOAX of the 21st century. Not one word about strengthening the resolve in Afghanistan. Not one word about rogue nations and their pursuit of nukes, (Iran). Not one word about the responsibilities of other nations to put an end to their policies of “enlightenment through violence or terrorist activities”. JUST THE FARCE OF GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE.

How many of the representatives of little dictator nations are sitting there in the UN laughing to themselves that the “leader” of the most powerful nation in the world has been reduced to cowering to a hoax, while presenting no other resolve to real world problems.

PATHETIC PRESENTATION MR. OBAMA.

Rovin on September 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Lame back pedaling of the day:

An update: Energy Department spokesman Dan Leistikow added: “Secretary Chu was not comparing the public to teenagers. He was saying that we need to educate teenagers about ways to save energy. He also recognized the need to educate the broader public about how important clean energy industries are to our competitive position in the global economy. He believes public officials do have an obligation to make their case to the American people on major legislation, and that’s what he’s doing.”

bitsy on September 22, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Isn’t this the same nitwit that wanted us to paint our roofs white to halt global warming?

If these “brilliant” elitists truly get enough control, imagine the potential damage? Their “fixes” are worse than the problems. Just think what the confluence of a Gore presidency in 2000 plus the AGW crowd could have done.

The cacaphony of self-determination is far superior, not just for the individual, but the world at large.

Firefly_76 on September 22, 2009 at 10:39 AM

They don’t want to “govern” or “lead” they want to RULE.

farright on September 22, 2009 at 10:39 AM

I think this goes far to explain why most scientists are political liberals. Scientists truly are usually quite intelligent, but with that often unfortunately comes arrogance. They know how the natural world works far better than a member of the general public, and apparently it’s quite easy to go from there to a belief that the experts should dictate how we all live.

kc8ukw on September 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM

If we are the children then somebody should call on Chris Hansen to set up a sting on the Whitehouse.

multiuseless on September 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Helicopter parenting governing? Great. Just…great.

Christien on September 22, 2009 at 10:40 AM

thomasaur on September 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM

LOL

Better yet…

Joe Caps on September 22, 2009 at 10:41 AM

They don’t want to “govern” or “lead” they want to RULE.

farright on September 22, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Thats why they warm to other despots , Chavez Achmedinnerjacket etc.

the_nile on September 22, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Asked if he expected a town-hall style pushback, Dr. Chu said he was optimistic the public would buy the administration’s arguments that energy efficiency and caps on greenhouse-gas emissions will spark an economic rebound.

“I don’t think so…maybe I’m optimistic, but there’s very little debate” that a new green energy economy will bring economic prosperity, Mr. Chu told reporters.

Heh. You ain’t seen nothing yet. We’re just getting warmed up.

(haha… pun not intended.)

bitsy on September 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Sad part is… we’re all having some ironic fun here, and Doc Chu will actually see it as proof of his asinine statement…. whatever, dude.

BTW…. “pull my finger” is comedy gold. LMAO!

Chicost84 on September 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM

or elected president…

right4life on September 22, 2009 at 10:35 AM

LOL. You got me there!

sherry on September 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM

F U Chu!

Dave R. on September 22, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Secretary of Energy Chu needs to take a course or two in leadership where the leader provides guidance and is supportive of the methods that people use to attain their personal, the corporate, and countries goals.

In reality, goal attainment is primarily accomplished by interaction with others of the same or different groups who have the resources necessary to attain the goal. Therefore, communications necessary to meet the goal must be the same level, otherwise communication are operating at crossed paths and progress is stalled. The following diagram shows that the optimum level of communication for goal attainment function best when on the Adult to Adult level. Any other type of communication is counter productive. As demonstrated with the diagram below when the government acts as the parent and talks to citizens as children the communication crosses the adult level and as with a Parent Child relationship the primary outcome is confrontation.

(P)arent (C)hild

(A)dult (A)dult

(C)hild (P)arent

So as Secretary Chu pursues this relationship the Administration will have more Tea Parties as the children rebel to show the Parent there is a better way to solving the nations problems.

MSGTAS on September 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Screw that little wimp . . . he needs to keep his wormy butt our of my life. This country is sick.

rplat on September 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Algore is the worst brat. Toss him in detention. save the planet.

seven on September 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Lame back pedaling of the day:

bitsy on September 22, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Walk it back… WALK IT BACK!
Pass the pudding…

Khun Joe on September 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM

I already checked the pressure in my tires, so I know we don’t have to rely on foreign oil anymore.

fogw on September 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Now that Chu has apparently mastered what exactly energy means

He’s a Nobel Prize winning physicist. Seriously, ace work, Ed. Great post.

Proud Rino on September 22, 2009 at 10:45 AM

The arrogance of these guys is boundless.

That’s why the backlash is going to be so ugly.

notagool on September 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM

PS I was being really, really sarcastic.

Proud Rino on September 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Point of order: is quoting Steven Chu’s words racist?

joe_doufu on September 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Thacker Agency at 10:19

The “science czar” doesn’t even want to let people have the choice of having children. He supports putting sterilizing drugs into the drinking water.

OT: Leo Donofrio says communications from Hawaiian officials show that Obama’s birth certificate has been amended.

In addition, Hawaii law requires Fukino to release any documents created or maintained that she used to make her statement that Obama is a “natural born citizen” – which includes an assessment of the state’s records given by Hawaii’s Attorney General. The state has wrongfully refused to disclose those documents, disobeying state law, and faces a lawsuit which state law requires to be given precedence in scheduling so that it will be resolved on the soonest possible scheduling date. There are no issues of standing, the law is clear, and the state has the burden of proof to show why the documents Fukino used should be withheld. Leo Donofrio is working on the case. See http://naturalborncitizen.wordpress.com/2009/09/21/pending-litigation-hawaii-confirms-that-obamas-vital-records-have-been-amended/

justincase on September 22, 2009 at 10:47 AM

An update: Energy Department spokesman Dan Leistikow added: “Secretary Chu was not comparing the public to teenagers.”

The limp noodle sent out a sppkesman to cover his tracks?

The Obama administration is filled with girly men.

fogw on September 22, 2009 at 10:48 AM

“Shut up, ” Obama lectured.

PackerBronco on September 22, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Point of order: is quoting Steven Chu’s words racist?

joe_doufu on September 22, 2009 at 10:46 AM

There’s a formula to follow:

If you are white= you are a teabagging/talk radio-listening/mobster/racist.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM

daddy daddy gimme ba ba

blatantblue on September 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Ka-Chu. Our government is very sick.

petefrt on September 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Somewhat OT, but…

They keep showing this stupid/creepy music video on the TV’s at my gym. It’s in black and white and shows bunch of little kids breaking into people’s apartments and replacing their lightbulbs with fluorescents and putting bricks in their toilet tanks. For the grand finale, they throw a switch and shut off the power to an entire building. Does MTV give an award for ‘most unintentially Orwellian’ music video? ‘Cause this would win.

bitsy on September 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Paging Sarah Palin, come in Sarah Palin.

Please respond to this on your facebook account.
A stupid American.

bridgetown on September 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Apparently Chu mistakes the Cabinet for the Politburo.

bluelightbrigade on September 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Paging Sarah Palin, come in Sarah Palin.

Please respond to this on your facebook account.
A stupid American.

bridgetown on September 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Sarah, run, get elected, and bounce out Charlie Chan here.

Jeff from WI on September 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Chu ‘Em Up! Spit ‘Em Out! Waaay Out! Yay….2010/2012

ZeeMI on September 22, 2009 at 10:55 AM

I want in on the whole TP’ing the house thing, but I won’t be taking the Cheryl Crowe stance.

jbh45 on September 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Will his test be multiple choice or short answer?

Who signed me up for this class….?

ted c on September 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM

More love from the “pro-choice” party I see

thebrokenrattle on September 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM

To the liberal, “Right to Choose” means you give up your “right to choose” to them.

AW1 Tim on September 22, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Liberalism is a progressive mental disorder and Chu is in the latter stages. It seems to be a requiremnet of being in this administration. I first thought the lies and deceptions of these loons were blatantly obvious, but these nutroots actually believe their own insane perceptions of reality.

Flush the Loons in 2010.

volsense on September 22, 2009 at 11:01 AM

What is with these freaks? Live your life and get the hell out of evryone else’s. Why don’t they get it?

marklmail on September 22, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Revenge of the Nerds.

TheBigOldDog on September 22, 2009 at 11:05 AM

This “child” is about to give Big Brother a pink slip!

I agree with TheBigOldDog – This is Revenge of the Nerds!

tnmama on September 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Just like my liberal (and moronic) sister and brother in law. They are all for higher taxes, more regulation, yet somehow they think they’ll be immune to those very taxes and regulations.

Liberals think there are two classes in this country. US and THEM. They being the ‘US’, won’t actually have to abide by any rules they make for THEM.

….can’t wait for the revolution.

Spiritk9 on September 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM

This is nothing more than a slightly more honest look at the attitude of the Left when it comes to governance. It’s all about paternalism and condescension, and the belief that a group of elites should be appointed to rule over the unwashed and unschooled masses for their own good. That has never been consonant with the American experience, which allows the individual to make his own choices and live with the consequences. Chu gives us a good look at the liberal soul, and most Americans will not like what they see.

Best HA paragraph evah! Well done Ed. Well done!

TheBigOldDog on September 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Funny, I had it backwards. I’ve always viewed Leftists as the angry, insolent adolescents and the rest of us as the put-upon adults. Silly me.

And what’s a “smart grid conference”? Nevermind, I don’t want to know.

rrpjr on September 22, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I’ll change my habits when Al Gore gets an energy efficient house, closes the strip mine in his backyard and sells his jet. Until then, STFU, Chu!

John Deaux on September 22, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Our government officials aren’t competent enough to replace my parents

they’re not qualified to wipe my A$$ after i take a dump.

photoboy74 on September 22, 2009 at 11:12 AM