Glenn Beck: McCain would have been worse for America than Obama

posted at 7:22 pm on September 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Looking forward to the 1,000-rpm spinning in the comments for this remark, which (a) is buttressed by his admission that he might have voted for Hillary over McCain/Palin and (b) would earn most any other righty torrents of acidic grassroots abuse for daring to utter it. His point, essentially, is that McCain’s no conservative, but then, per Peter Wehner, neither is Glenn Beck:

I say that because he seems to be more of a populist and libertarian than a conservative, more of a Perotista than a Reaganite. His interest in conspiracy theories is disquieting, as is his admiration for Ron Paul and his charges of American “imperialism.” (He is now talking about pulling troops out of Afghanistan, South Korea, Germany, and elsewhere.) Some of Beck’s statements—for example, that President Obama has a “deep-seated hatred for white people”–are quite unfair and not good for the country. His argument that there is very little difference between the two parties is silly, and his contempt for parties in general is anti-Burkean (Burke himself was a great champion of political parties). And then there is his sometimes bizarre behavior, from tearing up to screaming at his callers. Beck seems to be a roiling mix of fear, resentment, and anger—the antithesis of Ronald Reagan.

I understand that a political movement is a mansion with many rooms; the people who occupy them are involved in intellectual and policy work, in politics, and in polemics. Different people take on different roles. And certainly some of the things Beck has done on his program are fine and appropriate. But the role Glenn Beck is playing is harmful in its totality.

The clip cuts off before Beck has a chance to explain himself but presumably his argument is that there’s no difference between Republicans and Democrats these days and therefore we’re better off with a president whom the right doesn’t feel pressure to apologize for and whose tendencies towards big government it can oppose in earnest. If you believe that — that there’s no difference between the parties — then you haven’t been paying attention to Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, Honduras, Poland, and Czechoslovakia the Czech Republic lately. Epic fail.

Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9 10

MadisonConservative on September 22, 2009 at 12:47 AM

Read my other posts about Glenn Beck. I’m not going to write a book in every post of mine.

Skidd on September 22, 2009 at 12:50 AM

The thing is…

If McCain was elected president, many conservative/republican would have support is progressive agenda because “he was one of our own”.

It’s hard to boo your team, even when it suck (we saw that with Bush).

With a democratic president, we no longer have that problem.

Antagonist on September 22, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Good night, all.

GO BECK!!

(Cult-like huzzah, right?)

Skidd on September 22, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Anybody else having trouble with the “Close Tags” not closing?
Looks like my post vanished. Tired. Time to close shop.\
Where’d everyone go? Anybody reading about the woman who has DOCUMENTS FROM HAWAIIAN OFFICIALS PROVING OBAMA’S VITAL RECORDS HAVE BEEN AMENDED? Tomorrow there will be a full statement and press release on behalf of TerriK via this blog. This statement will include a complete history of correspondence between TerriK and Hawaii state officials in the Office of Information Practices (OIP) and the Department of Health (DoH).”?
I think someone’s going to need a BIGGER DISTRACTION in the next few days. Heh heh. This IS fun.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Stop bolding every damned word you type. It doesn’t make anyone care.

MadisonConservative on September 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Talk about taking the bait. How about actually hearing the full explanation first?

OH ALLAH – feel free to look back through my comments, pretty sure that I stated that if McCain was the nominee that I would work to make sure Hillary won back in the primaries.

The only difference between a McCain Presidency and an Obama Presidency is that everything has a D on it. McCain was no Reagan and with the numbers they had in both houses the Democrats would have done everything that Obama has done, but it would have been “Republican” policies. Nothing would be different domestically. And when it comes to international the Dems would have stop funding the war post haste with McCain in office so the “R” party would have finally lost the war.

Voidseeker on September 22, 2009 at 1:01 AM

Nightmare—
I followed your link the first time, then searched FR for the wider discussion that was sure to follow.

Interesting, but I doubt that much will come of it, much like all the previous attempts.

One thing that bugs me about all those ‘birther’ posts……
(And I don’t use the term ‘birther’ pejoratively like a lot of the folks here do… more power to ‘em, and may their obsession pay off for the whole country.)…. is that there is so much ‘insider talk’ that those of us who don’t follow it closely, but are interested in ANYTHING that will bring ‘the One’ down, have no idea what 90% of the folks are talking about.

Sweet Dreams…

Heh, Just noticed the incongruity between the first word and the last two….

May the Nightmares be all within 1600 Pensylvania Ave.

LegendHasIt on September 22, 2009 at 1:07 AM

I think McCain would have been worse than Obama too.
I say that because I dont think McCain would have tried to take the country all the way into being a nanny state so soon and all at once.
It was supposed to take three generations for the progressives to get control of the schools and manipulate the constitution in order to indoctrinate and control all of us.
The problem with Obamas rush to do it now is that all the old timers that still know what our real history is have not died yet. He (Obama) did not take into account that for the last 2 generations we have been living longer than when the communist manifesto, rules for radicals, and the Cloward Piven Plans were written. He jumped the gun and we caught him. Now we will set the country back on track to become a republic again and all live happily ever after.
Well, except for the Statists.
If he had waited about another 20 years he could have changed us overnight. Sorry Joe, looks like the golden goose is slow roasting.

mrcarter123 on September 22, 2009 at 1:29 AM

AP is following the Alinsky rule book to the letter. He is doing his best to divide us.
You’re an absolute disgrace. Your idol says something appalling and insane — and you blame me for mentioning it. Go join a cult, really.

Allahpundit on September 21, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Just a quick question: has Allah ever, evah liked a Mormon? I mean, quel vitriol. The “cult” accusation is very telling. Or maybe he just despises Beck for having a pudgy face. AM I RIGHT?

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 1:30 AM

Not taking the bait, Pundon’t. Keep trying.

long_cat on September 22, 2009 at 1:59 AM

Not a big fan of Glenn Beck, nor am I a big fan of Rush Limbaugh. I do, however, think Beck has been hard-hitting and effective in bringing to light those issues such as Van Jones’ radicalism and racism that would’ve been buried otherwise. And Limbaugh? The bombast gets tiresome and his delivery goes against the grain–and then there’s that pesky pilonidal cyst he used for a draft deferment during the Vietnam Era. But I like Limbaugh’s humility, and there’s no other word for it. Limbaugh’s a broadcaster, not a political leader, and–to his credit–is the first to point this out.

troyriser_gopftw on September 22, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Wait… there are actually people here who are arguing that McCain would have…
–nationalized student loans
–essentially nationalized GM
–killed missile defense in Eastern Europe
–backed a Communist usurper in Honduras
–pushed to slash our nuclear arsenal with dreams of completely eliminating them
–attempted to begin the transition to single-payer health care
–let the Bush tax cuts expire
–attempted to impose cap-and-trade in the middle of a recession
–started a trade-war with China
–agitated for a wasteful stimulus that funneled billions to ACORN, et al
–policized the NEA
–began closure of Guantanamo and released some detainees
–abandoned prosecution of Black Panthers
–a ton of other stuff I’m forgetting

Are you morons serious? Or are you just so stubbornly devoted to Beck that you are willing to look THIS stupid to avoid admitting he said something ridiculous?

DaveS on September 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Anybody who has been listening to Glenn since the election knows what Beck is talking about here: i.e. After 8 yes of Bush tainting the conservatives and Republicans with more spending, deficits and big government, McCain would have continued in that direction because McCain is not a conservative.

Beck is not lovable, he’s a guy trying to scream “Wake Up America!” in the loudest, most rudest voice because we have conceeded to those who want more power. If you don’t like him, turn him off.

baxtrice on September 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM

DaveS on September 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM

It’s impossible to tell without hearing Beck’s reasoning behind his statement, and frankly it’s rather boring to hear people say “EXPLAIN this statement or renounce Beck!”, but here’s the gist of it.

I believe people’s reasoning is kind of like Coulter’s when she initially made her Hillary statement. With McCain, we would have gotten center-left policies, not as bad as Obama, but still pretty disastrous. Amnesty, almost certainly, given the Dem congress, and tons of other bad stuff.

Basically, a lot of unpopular policies that WE then would have to explain as he’s one of ‘ours’. So what some here are saying is that Beck could be expanding that argument to say, yes Obama is a disaster, but he’s a Democrat disaster, so he’s off our hands. Although, given his distaste for both parties, that rationale kinda wears thin.

Honestly, I could see Beck’s statement being true about almost any Democrat BUT Obama. I don’t think this nation has ever seen a person like him. I think he is the most dangerous person to ever set foot in the Oval Office, and furthermore, I think Beck knows this which makes it even more perplexing. I would take the 2010/2012 electoral drubbing if McCain won JUST SO Obama wouldn’t. But that’s just because I think Obama’s an out and out traitor.

Sixth Guard on September 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM

I think I know what Beck is saying here, and if he’s saying what I think he’s saying, I agree with him. Here’s my post from another thread:

Depends upon what you mean by “better.” Would McCain have taken over the auto industry, given us a multi-trillion dollar “stimulus” package and tried to ram nationalized health care down our throats — all within 8 months of taking office? I seriously doubt it. But he would nonetheless rule like liberal socialist (because that’s what he is), and instead of the fallout being blamed on liberalism and Democrat rule, it would have been blamed on conservatives and conservatism.

I’ll tell you something else. If McCain had been elected instead of Obama, there would have been no tea parties and huge town hall protests. The conservative awaken we’re seeing now would be practically non-existent.

Obama is an anti-white, anti-Constitution, anti-capitalism Marxist who, in his own words, wants to “fundamentally transform America.” He is most certainly a radical tyrant hellbent on destroying what is left of traditional America, and he must be stopped. But let’ not kid ourselves here. McCain-style politics would have taken us in the same general direction, only the pace would be slower and the damage less noticeable.

Maybe Obama’s in-your-face radicalism is exactly what’s needed to wake this country the hell up. It’s certainly done a whole lot to wake conservatives up. I see this as he silver lining to Obama’s presidency. I don’t think we would have gotten near the wake-up call had McCain been elected.

2Brave2Bscared on September 22, 2009 at 2:28 AM

I’d be interested in hearing someone justify calling McCain “a liberal socialist”(!!) or “left-of-center”. He’s a right-of-center moderate on balance.

DaveS on September 22, 2009 at 2:31 AM

Are you morons serious? Or are you just so stubbornly devoted to Beck that you are willing to look THIS stupid to avoid admitting he said something ridiculous-DaveS on September 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM?

They are both stupid and serious.

Screw all so called “Conservatives” who can make logical back flips to legitimize not getting off their asses and supporting the only viable candidate left that could have stopped an obama presidency. Any one who is this f-ed up and still regards themselves as “conservative” when in reality they are worse than the socialist leftists/ malignant obamatards that they enable. At least the Obamatards knew what they wanted.

And anyone wishing to wreck the country so they can rebuild it in their idiotic image (“Got to go through carter to get to Reagan”) is not only an idiot but a traitorous idiot. Get the hell out of my country if you are too brain dead to realize that you have enabled the very same things that you supposedly oppose.

I LOATHE people who helped elect obama by whining that McCain wasn’t conservative enough while sitting at home on their fat asses. Idiots. Go watch huckabee you idiots and plan how you are going to screw over the United States by whining like big bitches the next time.

Boxy_Brown on September 22, 2009 at 2:31 AM

They are both stupid and serious.

I LOATHE people who helped elect obama by whining that McCain wasn’t conservative enough while sitting at home on their fat asses. Idiots. Go watch huckabee you idiots and plan how you are going to screw over the United States by whining that everything isn’t perfect for you the next time.

Boxy_Brown on September 22, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Beck is a nut. How many people that ridiculed Paul (rightly so), are sipping the same Truther_-aid ladled out by Beck?

Southernblogger on September 22, 2009 at 2:34 AM

This is the same AP who early and often misidentified Meghan frickin’ McCain as a conservative?

If we paint some t*ts on Beck will AP pipe down?

Stephen M on September 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM
Big ones. They have to be really really big ones.

Blake on September 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

consider this:
It wasn’t that he misidentified her, he actually thought she was a good kid, someone worth defending day after day after day after day after day…x kazillion. If you didn’t love her like he did, you were just terrible. It was “LEAVE MEGGIE ALONE”! He got his cronies rallied around her as well, blindly agreeing with every word he said, heads nodding up and down. Meghan was his pet. They had their ups and downs, but every time she did something “unforgivable” they’d end up following each other again. He even kept following her after she unfollowed him, post Meggie/Malkin gate. He begged and begged for her to take him back , and finally only unfollowed her after her stunningly dumb (even for her)apology for Ted Kennedy. But still there was the love! Still he wanted her back! And THEN the big burn she recently launched on him. After he unfollowed her, his cronies responded in kind with a chorus of “yeah, I never really did like her, she’s so stupid”, you know, because now it was okay. Or it’s always just best to agree absolutely with Allah, right? I mean, he’s the guy who thinks Meghan McCain was a sweet, intelligent (SHE WENT TO COLUMBIA!) little hottie. She just meant well. But Glenn Beck is always wrong, he’s a DISGRACE, and if you remotely say one word in support of him you’re a CULTIST because I SAID SO!!! Hmmmmm. Meggie/Beck. Beck/Meggie. Who’s crazier? Those who pine for Meggie, or those who want to wait to hear all of what Beck said? YER JUST A CULTIST if you even think about Beck, I tell ya’s.

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I’m a registered republican who votes mainly republican (depends on man/issues), but I voted for Hillary in MY primaries over McCain. Couldn’t STAND McCain but I voted for him in the general BECAUSE of Palin.

brendy on September 22, 2009 at 2:43 AM

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

I always just got the impression that he was sort of messing around with her as a self-deprecating joke, but also that he thought it would be cool to hook up with the daughter of a candidate for POTUS if she actually played along.

Whatevs, in any case he’s calling people “cultists” based on a pattern, not based on one post.

DaveS on September 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM

It took me forever to read this comments thread, but what I was looking for wasn’t found, and if I somehow skipped by it, then apologies to the poster for missing it.

Monday I watched Glenn Beck’s show, and the thing that knocked me flat was that Beck was slurring his words at times, and kept tripping over the teleprompter words. It was almost as if he’d had a couple of drinks before going onair, or had taken his ADHD meds later than he should have, and the effects had worn off somewhat.

Then I watched the clip with Katie Couric. Then I went to his website, and Twitter. And the thing that struck me the strongest was that here is a man on the ragged edge, who’s on the verge of cracking up.

Now I could be very very wrong about this one. It may be a cleverly planned bit of strategy on Beck’s part, in part to get some heat off of him for a few days, or in part to throw a curve ball at those who are attacking him and threatening him and his family.

But it should be most interesting to watch as this unfolds this week on his subsequent Fox shows. Something’s up with Glenn Beck, and I’m extremely interested in finding out if it’s part of a planned strategical move on Beck’s part, or if he’s merely doing a tightrope act on that ragged edge so closely that he’s teetering dangerously close to a crack up.

KendraWilder on September 22, 2009 at 3:03 AM

DaveS on September 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM

Yes, agreed to part of that. The self-deprecating part. It’s not like he would’ve ever dated her in real life, it was just a correspondence thing. But the defense of her and the crony deal was very real. I’m talking about here and on twitter. And Beck sets him off like nothing else, he’s made several culty comments for just the slightest mention of him. I’m saying it’s not fair-minded thinking, or even mature thinking. He will always “win” the debate though, because he has the best training in that department, trust me.

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Dude… seriously. Please stop trying to grab attention with the annoying posts :P

Or it’s always just best to agree absolutely with Allah, right?

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Pretty much, these days.

Ugly on September 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM

KendraWilder on September 22, 2009 at 3:03 AM

The only thing not mentioned in this thread seems to be my kitchen sink

Ugly on September 22, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Pretty much, these days.

Ugly on September 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Wow. That’s like…an abusive relationship.

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM

baxtrice on September 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Exactly. McCain would have had us continue to lurch in the same direction we have been lurching for 20 years. This is a chance to have the record player screech to a stop.

MoCoM on September 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Two things:
1. Beck is an entertainer; he uses pokes and jabs to be a point across. Is he under stress? Absolutely, less probably now than before the 9/12 protests. That was a big moment for him. He is also under personal pressure because of his security issue. How many of us can right now turn over in bed and speed dial your security detail? He can. And that is how Obama’s people roll. They isolate you and target you. Beck is under siege.
2. His comment on McCain is a teaser. Does he really think McCain would be worse? No. Not in the day to day running of the government in foreign policy at least. The US would still be building missiles in Poland, and we sure as heck wouldn’t be trying to re-seat a dictator in Honduras. So, in that sense Beck is wrong.
Where he is right is in the health of the political debate he is taking part in. Obama has managed to knock the scales from the eyes of millions with his actions. McCain and his good old boy, old guard network would have done many of the same things Obama has done, but the people would have trusted him more with it. We would still have the Dems in Congress stealing the money, but they would have McCain as cover. McCain would excuse ACORN because of his fear of offending minorities. McCain would still allow the Fed their actions and their strong armed tactics. Of course, McCain would jump all over the chance to show is bi-partisan ways by agreeing with healthcare and all the other left issues. Remember, McCain is part of that team that willingly violated the First amendment in order to retain his friend’s incumbencies.
On the other hand, McCain would not be tied directly to the Chicago Political Machine which is FAR more radical that I even thought. The amount of communist and Marxist influence in the upbringing of Obama/Axelrod and the people surrounding the administration is huge.
If Beck’s point was that McCain would have given cover for the same agendas, thus not allowing for the citizens to see for themselves how bad it has gotten, which is Beck’s agenda. Then he is right.

archer52 on September 22, 2009 at 5:03 AM

On the foreign policy front I would feel much better with McCain. He would have been better for the economy too. I doubt we would have the czar problem we have now or the issue of his other radical crazies he surrounds himself with. HOWEVER, Obama has revived the conservative and libertarian movement like nobody else could have. I think in that way McCain would have been worse. It took Obama and his radical policies to wake the country up.

SueM on September 22, 2009 at 5:27 AM

McCain would have run our country LEFT of Bush. And I’m considerably disappointed by W. The damage would be less than what Obama has done, but the chances of ending up with a conservative in the White House or in congress would be much less. The eye on the prize says, McCain was foisted on us, we want conservatism.

davecatbone on September 22, 2009 at 5:27 AM

We needed to have four years of Jimmy Carter to get eight years of Ronald Reagan.

I’m very willing to deal with just 3 1/4 years more of Barry in order to get a paleoconservative in the White House in January 2013. Unfortunately, there aren’t many of them in the GOP fold anymore.

Dickie Dunn on September 22, 2009 at 5:53 AM

Beck may be right in that we would not be aware of RINOism and the Marxists would continue to slither around behind the scenes without being noticed. At least now the lights are coming on and both kinds are heading for the cracks in the baseboard.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 22, 2009 at 6:24 AM

If I believed we were living in a fascist country, I would pack my bags right and leave.

terryannonline on September 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Fascism does not need to have a component of militarism, racism, anti semitism, etc. to properly meet its own criteria (although it certainly may). I say this because I wonder if my inference is justified that these may be the kind of characteristics you’re looking for. I’m here to tell you; it’s unnecessary.

It’s really just an economic system. And there has absolutely been tendencies and even policies outright that are fascist in the United States. An accurate and proper understanding can be found here:

Where socialism sought totalitarian control of a society’s economic processes through direct state operation of the means of production, fascism sought that control indirectly, through domination of nominally private owners. Where socialism nationalized property explicitly, fascism did so implicitly, by requiring owners to use their property in the “national interest”—that is, as the autocratic authority conceived it. (Nevertheless, a few industries were operated by the state.) Where socialism abolished all market relations outright, fascism left the appearance of market relations while planning all economic activities. Where socialism abolished money and prices, fascism controlled the monetary system and set all prices and wages politically. In doing all this, fascism denatured the marketplace. Entrepreneurship was abolished. State ministries, rather than consumers, determined what was produced and under what conditions.

Instead of listing several specifics, apply (especially the highlighted) on your own. See what you come up with. There will be many examples and even many more in today’s climate. Thus:

I have no idea. But since I don’t think we are living in a fascist country, I really don’t have to worry about it.

terryannonline on September 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Worry.

It’s still a branch of the collectivist family tree.

anuts on September 22, 2009 at 6:32 AM

If McCain was President I wouldn`t have learned about Michelle`s toned upper arms.

albill on September 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM

“If you believe that — that there’s no difference between the parties — then you haven’t been paying attention to Afghanistan, Iran, Russia, Honduras, Poland, and Czechoslovakia the Czech Republic lately.”

Garbage……Both parties are the same when it comes to taking bribes from corporations to cement themselves firmly in their positions of power. Spending billions of our money on whatever suits their political needs.
The Libs are perfectly happy to send the the men and women to war and when it’s politically convenient call them killers. The conservatives sent them to war, then sat by wringing their hands when things got hot, doing nothing to protect their backs. Bush sent these folks to war and let them die because he was WEAK!
McCain is Bush and worse…At least with Obama, the American Idiot can see the danger of his openly extreme positions and oppose them….McCains social positions would be subtle, his foreign policy hawkish and dangerous..(considering the fact that he thinks we torture) his demeanor contemptious of dissent (remember shamnesty?) an all around disasterous presidency.

Beck is right. You conservatives (Hannity and Limbaugh types)are the same as the liberals (Olberman and Maddow types.)

dartagnansblade on September 22, 2009 at 6:58 AM

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

The better question is: Meggie/Beck. Beck/Meggie. Who has the bigger more fondle-able t*ts? If you say Beck, you are a damn cultist!

Anyway, AP has a history of coming to the aid of young females (even if they don’t deserve it). It doesn’t hurt if they have boobs the size of watermelons.

Blake on September 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I don’t agree with Beck and I don’t agree with posters here agreeing with Beck. In fact, I think they are about as wrong as wrong can be. Obama is a radical socialist who is appeasement minded in foreign policy. McCain was and is a pro-life fiscal conservative and foreign policy hawk who was and is supremely knowledgeable in foreign policy, military matters and national security.

McCain, like Dick Cheney, supported the first bailout because it was the Bush Administration bailout and they were both told that the financial system would fail without that bailout. But thereafter McCain opposed all bailouts, beginning with the vote on the second release of TARP monies while Bush was still President. McCain voted against all Obama bailouts and voted against Obama massive deficit spending, calling it generational theft.

McCain, since September 2007, has supported law enforcement first in immigration matters. He says he never supported amnesty, as the immigration bill that Bush and he supported was not intended to provide amnesty given the law enforcement provisions. What Obama supports in contrast is overt radical amnesty.

McCain flatly opposes ObamaCare. McCain’s health care position in the 2008 Presidential race was the most conservative, free market oriented appproach of any in either party. If McCain were President, we would NOT be discussing a health care bill, unless it would be a proposal to provide tax cuts or insurance across state lines. What McCain promised quite differently was a freeze on federal spending — no room in there for a massive health care program.

If McCain were President, the Supreme Court nominee would have been a conservative jurist instead of liberal Sotomayer (whom McCain voted against); the State Department legal advisor would not be an advocate of transnationalism (which is dangerous stuff); the Attorney General would not be destroying the CIA; the HHS Secretary would be pro-life instead of a pro-abortion zealot.

Obaam operates with a history of being a community organizer and a narcisstic cult of personality. McCain, a military man who put his life in harm’s way as a Navy combat pilot and who endured 5 1/2 years of imprisonment at the hands of the North Vietnamese, spoke of being President with a servant’s heart.

If McCain were President, we would have a very capable Commander in Chief instead of the dangerously incompetent in Obama dealing with such matters as Iran, Venezuela, Honduras, North Korea, Islamic radical jihadism. Foreign policy, military matters and national security are subjects critical to the nation. To argue that McCain would have been worse than Obama requires consideration of how with respect to foreign policy, military matters and national security, we are beter off with Obama; but only a complete and utter fool would make that argument.

The nation screwed up badly last November. You can disagree with McCain on certain issues, but to confuse any such disagreement with how bad Obama is, is just nuts.

Phil Byler on September 22, 2009 at 7:05 AM

Glenn Beck is obiviously out for himself. I knew that when he said Bush should have been impeached for stuff like the Patriot Act or the borders or whatever. He did not say that about Reagan or any other president who did not put troops on the border, in fact there were more resources on that border when Bush left than there were when he got there. And Beck could care less.

Beck if Fox and Friends now. I just turned the TV off. I will give him the same treatment I give Obama, when he comes on TV, I turn it off. I will not watch his show or listen to him talk.

This man does not care about anyone but himself.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Comments like this one from Beck separate the men from the boys, so to speak.

The next 24 hours may be a wild ride for Beck fans.

gocatholic on September 22, 2009 at 7:09 AM

Glenn Beck is obiviously out for himself.

While I agree that Beck has some very strange ideas about things, I don’t think he’s merely ‘out for himself’. I think his heart is in the right place.

gocatholic on September 22, 2009 at 7:12 AM

To be concise, McCain is a squishy, two shades lighter than Olympia Snowe. ( Does that make him invisible to conservatives?) I voted for Sarah Palin. Nuff said!

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM

gocatholic:

yes, he is. Beck is out for Beck. He might even want to start his own party, try to steal support from the Republicans to make himself a player. In the end the Democrats will win, just like they won when Perot did the same thing, but then again Beck has made it plain that he is okay with Democrats winning.

Traitor.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM

donh:

McCain’s conservative rating is about 82…Obama’s is in the single digit. No man who spent years in a POW camp is squishy and if not for McCain most people in the United States would never have even known who Sarah Palin was.

Beck is an opportunist.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:20 AM

There is no defending what Beck said. It is like him calling Teddy Roosevelt a thug for picking on Cuba. The man is out for himself, his power, his status. In fact I am sure that Obama being president has been good for Beck…it has given him a following, high ratings and lots and lots of money.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:22 AM

McCain & Amnesty. May have happened…
At least now, with BO, our eyes have been opened to the left’s strategy. We are INVIGORATED under BO. Wouldn’t have been under McCain.

balkanmom2 on September 22, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I don’t think it was wise to quote Peter Wehner for this article. He is not exactly a poster-child for GOP outreach to ‘the little guy’. It’s important, I think, to meet people where they are and offering commentary by Wehner on this foul-up by Glenn Beck is just throwing gasoline onto the fire.

gocatholic on September 22, 2009 at 7:26 AM

That’s why we need Holder to prosecute Bush or maybe allow Spain to rendition the Bushies for trial so these people don’t parasite into the next GOP administration.

There is absolutely zero need for Holder to prosecute former President Bush!
And no American, much less any Administration officials, should ever be subject to foreign courts for serving to defend and protect this country.

Some of the Bush people are Iran contra people who just show up again every 8 years for more crimes.

Spathi on September 21, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Like who???
Name names.
And none of the Bush people committed any “crimes” (except maybe Scooter Libby who got framed for Dick Armitage’s crime)

Jenfidel on September 22, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Call Beck an “opportunist”, a “libertarian” or whatever,

since he seems to be successful in
waking up more Independents and sleepy-headed Americans
to the dangers of this Administration
, then I say

*B*R*A*V*O*.

Lockstein13 on September 22, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Spathi:

Rendition Bush? Hey keep talking buddy, we want all these conservatives to know whose side you are really on. I think you are a moby, a plant.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:30 AM

Beck is an opportunist.

-Terrye

Again, I disagree that his motives are selfish. Ignorant, yes. Selfish? I don’t think so. I’m having trouble understanding why the throngs of Beck fans can’t see that sometimes he really is quite misguided. At the same time, I have trouble understanding these charges of selfishness against Beck.

It is going to be very interesting to follow this over the next few days.

gocatholic on September 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM

I like Glenn Beck, I really do.
He’s done some good things for this country, too, but…
that being said, he’s all over the place in his ideology (makes it too dependent on personalities) and too often, he sounds downright crazy and not in a good way.
I don’t which is scarier: thinking McCain would be worse as President than Ogabe or actually taking Hillary seriously as a candidate.
Both thoughts are immature and irrational.

Jenfidel on September 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM

Speaking of parasites, if Beck is right and it is a good thing McCain lost, then it is a good thing Palin lost as well, because she was on the same ticket.

But then to hear spathi tell it, all the GOP are just parasites or whatever…all the way back to Reagan and Iran/Contra.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:31 AM

gocathoic:

I don’t care what you believe. I think Beck is a sham. I think he is cashing in.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Beck is an opportunist.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:20 AM

That was then, this is now.

Let’s all take a moment to respect the fact that McCain was a POW………. Amen.

Now let’s talk about the realities of now. John McCain was and is a RINO. He’s attached his name to terrible legislation including McCain-Feingold CFR and the failed McCain-Kennedy scheme to grant no strings attached amnesty to millions of illegals. Palin was only added to his campaign after it became clear that his strategy of telling the GOP base of conservative and fiscal conservatives to STFU and vote for him because he wasn’t Obama.

Let’s respect McCain’s service to this nation but let’s not pretend that he stands up for the conservative movement.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:34 AM

Oh yes, why would Beck be selfish? After all, he cares only about others and the country…after all we all know how he weeps for America…boo hoo boo hoo. He cries, he cares, he only wants to save us from the horrid RINOs…

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:34 AM

He is going after Obama because it is a target rich environment and it will help him gain support from the right…all the better to split the party and guarantee the Democrats another victory.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:35 AM

highopes:

McCain has guts, he also has integrity. Do I always agree with him? No, but he is a better man than Obama and the fact that people on the right are so ready to eat their own is exactly what makes it possible for some guy like Obama to win.

And what is more McCain is more conservative than Obama…the fact that this is even debatable is ridiculous.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Traitor.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Morning all. Terrye, how can Beck be a traitor to a group (republicans) he has never been a part of?

I agree that Beck does care about the direction of the country so I don’t buy the argument that he is just an opportunist. He is over the top at times, but I think it comes out of an exasperation of how this country is letting itself slide into the abyss.

KickandSwimMom on September 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM

I think Beck is a sham. I think he is cashing in.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:32 AM

Since when did making a buck become a crime in America?

Beck is making a buck because he has an audience. Personally, I think he’s a bit odd but I also think he is sincere and has ideas that resonate with the American people. I’m much more in synch with his ideas than Dennis Kucinich who just said the FBI was creating this terrorist plot to keep the Patriot Act in place, or Nancy Pelosi’s accusations of the CIA lying to Congress, or the filthy liar in the White House’s approach to international affairs (apologizing to every other nation for America being America).

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:43 AM

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Sorry Terrye but I don’t view McCain as all that different than Obama. Not when I’m looking for a real Republican.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:44 AM

If McCain was President we would have had Cap and Tax signed into law.
We wouldn’t have nationalized GM but we would have likely sent them more bailouts -and he approved the bailouts-
We would have likely had amnesty for illegals.
With the Fiscal crisis we have right now… McCain would have cut taxes in the short term (and that might have jumpstarted the economy) but McCain would have let the Bush Tax cuts expire (due to the underlying fiscal crisis).
Now their are a lot of pluses but those are mostly in Foreign policy.
We would have a Baccus lite for Health Reform (which is also terrible)

We would likely have the progressive left retaining in 2010 because the voters would have no reason to send Grandma Nan’s gang out of congress.

You can make an argument on the fact that their is a very strong drive now to get our house in order and to drive the Democrats out of control of the temple of our republic. And that drive will be better for our country in 2010 and beyond

karasoth on September 22, 2009 at 7:49 AM

The Boss has a nice photo up:
If Beck explains he meant 2010 will be a Conservative crush with Obama and have been a Liberal crush with “Obama-lite”, can’t disagree.

Marcus on September 22, 2009 at 7:49 AM

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:44 AM

A million dead babies a year is a pretty big difference.

Jeff from WI on September 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Everyone here who screeched for McCain last year and now nods along soporifically to Beck’s garbage is an embarrassment.

Allahpundit on September 21, 2009 at 7:41 PM

QOTD

portlandon on September 21, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Good enough for me.

Jaibones on September 22, 2009 at 7:51 AM

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Ronald Reagan forged, led and maintained a coalition of conservatives, moderates and liberal Republicans. A majority of Americans are now opposed to Obama and the leftist Democrat controlled Congress. However I have seen no evidence that a majority of Americans are conservatives. If we keep on telling all the moderates and libertarians who oppose Obama and the Liberal Democrats that we don’t want anything to do with them, maybe they will believe us and sit out the 2010 and 2012 elections.

Loxodonta on September 22, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Terrye: Sorry, but McCain’s conservatism IS squishy. How many times has he ” crossed the isle “. Lost count? Ted Kennedy’s buddy if I remember correctly.He would have took us down a slower path to where Obama’s trying to go, not because of ideology but by “crossing the aisle” too many times.

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM

A million dead babies a year is a pretty big difference.

Jeff from WI on September 22, 2009 at 7:50 AM

There would have been no difference in abortion policy under McCain.

In fact, I think America could well have been worse off because McCain wouldn’t have jumped into healthcare reform. We would have still had the stimulus bill, we would have amnesty for illegals by this point, as well as cap & tax. McCain would have bent over backwards to work with Democrats and gone out of his way to kick Republicans in the teeth or lower extremities.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM

McCain’s crossed the aisle so many times the Democrats have given him a seat on their side of the chamber! :-0

Seriously, Terrye talks about character and integrity and McCain has neither as evidenced by the fact that he stepped aside and let his staffers trash Palin for weeks after the campaign.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:56 AM

There would have been no difference in abortion policy under McCain.

highhopes on September 22, 2009 at 7:53 AM

You can rationalize the mechanics of what might of happened, but Mc Cain claims to proudly be pro-life, while there is no more a monster toward innocent life than Obama.The man supports killing kids who are lucky enough to make it through an abortion. That’s got to be listed as Satanic.

Jeff from WI on September 22, 2009 at 7:59 AM

baxtrice on September 22, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Wow, someone who understands Beck’s point.

McCain would have simply continued the Rockefeller Republican goal of establishing socialism at a slower pace. The method is quite simple: Claim social conservatism and through out a few bones, all the meanwhile expanding the size and reach of government, in other words continue the domestic Bush doctrine.

When will conservatives wake up to the fact that their party is using them. The Republicans are controlled top down by the Frumians, nothing is going to change. Limbaugh and Levin know this yet they continue to market the Republican brand, even cheerleading it while the Republicans grow government bigger than ever. This is principle?

Again, I ask, when have the Republicans reduced the size of government?

True_King on September 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Additionally, George Bush was doing much the same thing as McCain. He also worked with Kennedy ( read, Let him write the bill ) “No child left behind act.” Also expansion of Medicare, immigration reform. McCain nor Bush were true conservatives. They were conservative lite. All we’ve had to vote for the last 9 years.

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Wow, have the McCainiacs already forgot they don’t need the “extreme” right wing to win elections?

You had it all figured out, remember?

Grateful Hispanics + relieved moderate liberals = Permanent Majority, remember?

Why are you even bothering to talk to us at all?

We don’t owe you crap, especially after your pathetic hijacking of a conservative party. You don’t even apologize for your colossal miscalculation. All you do is bawl that we kept true.

“–nationalized student loans
–essentially nationalized GM
–killed missile defense in Eastern Europe
–backed a Communist usurper in Honduras
–pushed to slash our nuclear arsenal with dreams of completely eliminating them
–attempted to begin the transition to single-payer health care
–let the Bush tax cuts expire
–attempted to impose cap-and-trade in the middle of a recession
–started a trade-war with China
–agitated for a wasteful stimulus that funneled billions to ACORN, et al
–policized the NEA
–began closure of Guantanamo and released some detainees
–abandoned prosecution of Black Panthers

McCain stood for some of this crap in the campaign!

I will never regret distrusting a liar. Ever. Or feel guilty for not being a whore. Or spare you the truth about it.

Chris_Balsz on September 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM

I_C on September 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Something personal, perhaps?

Diane on September 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Traitor.

Terrye on September 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM

While I appreciate your fear, I don’t see evidence to support it. At least not yet. If Beck does do what you fear, or show clear signs of moving in that direction, he should be severely slammed by everyone who wants to defeat the liberals in 2010 and 2012.

However, if Beck does not try to divide Obama opponents, just express some of his peculiar ideas and do some self-serving showmanship, then I would prefer to thank Beck for the good he does, and roll my eyes and express my negative opinion about his whackiness.

Loxodonta on September 22, 2009 at 8:05 AM

Again, I ask, when have the Republicans reduced the size of government?

True_King on September 22, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Republicans are most definitely NOT controlled by “the Frumians.”
David Frum is a party of one.
Limbaugh and Levin are strict Conservatives who would have nothing to do with Frum or he with them.
Republicans are made to seem as if they grow government bigger because the Congress is usually controlled by Democrats and they’re the ones growing government.

Jenfidel on September 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Obama has united Conservatives and Americans like no one since Reagan and Obama has united those people AGAINST him.
McCain would have been more of the same, slow death.

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 8:03 AM

More like 21 years now, since Reagan left office.

nelsonknows on September 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM

Allahpundit, Glenn Beck and THE AMERICAN PEOPLE, have done more to stop this runaway government than the ENTIRE GOP in the past 20.

nelsonknows on September 22, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Jenfidal: No doubt Democrats want to grow government but are you saying a McCain or Bush had to go along or even help? They are Republicans aren’t they? Frum Republicans I submit and all we’ve had lately.

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 8:14 AM

McCain is a fraud, he couldn’t even cast a vote against ACORN.

nelsonknows on September 22, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Beck’s a Libertarian. That should NEVER be confused with a conservative. They share some common ground but not completely common principles.

CC

CapedConservative on September 22, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Nelsonknows on September22,2009 8:07 AM
Of course you’re right. Too focused on recent history am I!

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 8:19 AM

It is astounding to me that so many here quickly “eat their own” and turn on Glenn Beck at the drop of a hat! So now he’s the enemy? And purist Mark Levin sees Glenn as the enemy? I love Mark Levin and he’s has done great work for America – but he preaches to a different “choir”. He preaches to more reflective, higher educated Americas who can understand the crucial importance of the Bill of Rights and the nuanced ideas and ideals of the Founding Fathers and the subtexts of our masterful Constitution. Glenn Beck doesn’t – he “preaches” from the raw gut. Beck smells danger and he senses danger from his viscera – and he has been a genius at exposing Team Obama and all the Marxist scum bags that bow down there day after day and conspire to turn this great nation into a Commie Paradise. In this respect, i.e. of working from the “gut” – he is very much like Sarah Palin, who is going to be the next President of the United States (have no doubt on that). People are afraid – from their guts they fear and it is tearing them up. You didn’t get 2 million “ordinary” Americans to drag their spouses and kids to the Mall because they sensed a problem in America with their cognitive abilities about vigorous Socratic debate! America woke up because something deep inside them – a “fear sensor” woke them up to the dangers that Team Obama represent. Beck is a leader – and it is rare indeed that a man like him, a man who can uniquely touch average Americans and their fears and hopes – rare that he came along and has done so much damage against Team Obama and his Commie circle of friends in so short a time period. Who else could? Mark Levine? Romney? Hardly. Rush or Laura could to some extent – and I adore them both. But not like Beck. He’s a gift to all of us and to stand there and criticize him because he’s also smart enough to make a good dollar off his wildly successful TV and radio programs and his books is counterproductive. This is America still – and capitalism is our bedrock. When a liberal writes a book it tanks! Let Beck make money – that means people are listening – people are reading. Thanks what we all want for crying out loud! John McCain is a war hero and I have the greatest respect for our men and women in the military – but he is dangerous and is stupid and is a total NYT product of the left. Sarah hooked up with McCain out of a sense of honor and duty to America – but she is nothing like that Bozo and she’ll distance herself as she pulls away from the starting gate on her march to the White House – and that will be as soon as she completes this Hong Kong trip and settles into a “campaign”. Is McCain “worse” than Obama? Maybe…maybe not…..but it’s close at best. And besides, who cares? They are both losers and both dangerous to America – and McCain because he is a “Republican” may actually be more dangerous because he lulls us into complacency whereas Obama a left left left wing radical shocks us. So I take my hat off to Glenn Beck and I say thank God we have a man like that on our side! What if he was on the side of Team Obama – with all his talent, we’d be in huge trouble. But he loves America – and I thank him and I stand with Glenn Beck and I stand with Sarah and I stand with Rick Perry and I grab the Old Glory with them and show our “colors” to the world. Glenn Beck is NOT the enemy – he is a hero of America and I absolutely am so thankful that we have his energy and his talent. The hell with John McCain – he is a war hero and I show him respect – but please John, retire soon and let a true American run in your stead.

Cinday Blackburn on September 22, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I disagree with Beck, but there is a strategic argument that supports his position, Allah.

It could be argued it would have been worse for conservatism/libertarianism and, in that sense, worse for America, if John McCain had been elected. We saw the impact of the aggressive foreign policy coupled with soft positions on fiscal conservatism & an embracing of government as a tool rather than the problem. McCain voted for TARP and has never been reluctant to regulate that of which he disapproves. The UFC years ago is a perfect example. In the later years of the Bush administration, without the issue of tax cuts, we saw a dispirited base, disgusted independents and a resurgent hard left.

If a person believes that a strong conservative/libertarian domestic movement is what this nation needs desperately, it could be argued that we are in a better position for the long term with Obama as president than with McCain. Not to mention the fact that McCain & the Republican party would have been firmly tied to this recession, which will last years because of TARP & the stimulus. This would have further damaged the Republican brand and made the political future even more bleak. This argument requires a person to prioritize the domestic issues and the long term health of the conservative movement when it comes to what is good for America.

And Peter Wehner’s analysis was flawed. He does not know Beck, as he admits, and confuses Beck’s foreign policy with that of Ron Paul. Beck always advocated for winning the war rather than retreating, but, if we are not going to fight to win, why leave our soldiers there to get picked off?

Beck is not Ron Paul on foreign policy, and there is nothing wrong with believing that maintaining a unipolar structure via bases and strategic placement of troops is bad over the long term. Just look at history to see how it can impact an empire. It drains an economy and burdens a nation. It is better to encourage a multi-polar world that allows you to focus on key interests and apply precious resources effectively. Leave Europe for the Europeans, Asia for the Asian’s and the America’s for the American’s. The rest is fluid and up for grabs.

I’d say pull out of Korea and leave NoKo to the Chinese and Japanese. If China doesn’t do their part to contain NoKo they get to deal with a nuclear Japan.

And if the only difference between the parties is foreign policy, we’re fucked as a nation.

Stickeehands on September 22, 2009 at 8:22 AM

donh525 on September 22, 2009 at 8:14 AM
There are no “Frum Republicans!”
He’s not even American–he’s Canadian.

President Bush acted as a social Conservative and a defense hawk.
Yes, he should have done better with fiscal Conservatism, it’s true, but the Bush tax cuts went a long way to stimulate the economy.
As for smaller government, it’s hard to achieve that when the country was put on war footing.

I have no idea what party McCain belongs to–I think I heard him say ONCE during the campaign that he was a Republican.
As far as being a Conservative, he isn’t.

Jenfidel on September 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Sorry Terry but you’ve got to lighten up. You sound like a KOS lunatic slamming Glenn. What God like power enables you to read his motivation? Rush makes 10 times what Beck’s earning is he 10 times phonier? The KOSites think so.

I voted for McCain but I understand Beck’s take. I don’t have to agree with someone on everything to respect their opinion.

When no one in the GOP leadership has the balls to take on Obama straight up Glenn & Rush did. When Obama appointed the lawyer who defended Ratboy to the DOJ did the GOP say ANYTHING? Repeat that line for dozens of anti-American radicals our commie leader has installed with not one f’g peep from the “Opposition”.

Without Glenn, Rush and Sarah, among others, getting people mad those “Leaders” in the GOP would still be cowering in the closet and Obamacare would have been shoved down your throat.

I agree with some of Wehner’s points in Commentary but that doesn’t change the fact we all owe Glenn Beck thanks for the job he’s done so far.

rcl on September 22, 2009 at 8:27 AM

peeps who think MAC wouldve been like TOTUS must have slept thru the Georgia crisis when Russia invaded. MAC is very good friends with Saakashvili and would NEVER EVER abandon Eastern Europe

ginaswo on September 22, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I do like Glenn Beck, but there is a “creepy” factor that I am at a loss to explain. I suspect he walks the fine line between the sane and insane world.

bopbottle on September 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM

No, he has found if he acts like that he gets more ratings…after years on the media you learn, like a dog, to do the “tricks” that get you the treat. With him it is “going off”…like the guy who does the stock market, or the guy on MSNBC who goes off on the right wing…or the morning show guy with the porn star.
They have all learned to cater to their audience…much like the traveling Baptist “Jesus is coming to town” preachers….fire and brimstone.
They all have an “act”, but part of their persona, that creates excitement. It is an emotional hook, and Beck followers are emotional people, they are swayed by his “maestro” qualities, his edginess, him being frantic. It appears to add importance, and events that are time critical. Listen to him, and the evangelists, and you hear the similarities.
“I can’t believe”, “We must act know”, “Only we can see it”, “The others are blind”, “We have the knowledge that others refuse to see”, “We must act now”, “The end is eminent”, “I am giving you special information”, “Can’t you see what is happening”, “Only the blind won’t see”, “You and I have a special connection”, “It is all so simple, it is right before your eyes”, “It is us against the rest”, “When I fast…”,…all these little idioms are designed to trigger an emotional response.
And by the postings each time on Beck, it is working…it gets kind of “culty”. Kind of creepy.
When I posted weeks ago that I thought his ideas were good, his general philosophy was good, but his delivery was suspect.
The hate posters were incredible…they can’t take any criticism of their “one”…make me appreciate Obama’s hold on his minions.
Amen…

right2bright on September 22, 2009 at 8:28 AM

I agree with Beck.

McCain would have sacrificed every to keep his so called “war effort” har har har going for another four years meanwhile ceding any issue that would help him to the dems to keep him afloat politically.

That’s why McCain had to be defeated. Also to keep the neocons from consolidating power.

As it stands the neocons for four years so Ron Paul can run again in 2012 without having to worry about McCain.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Plus McCain was a communist politically.

He was using a “Country First” slogan that he stole from the nazi’s in order to promote national unity and nationalism

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM

This whole “critique of Glenn Beck from the Right” – particularly at this juncture - reminds me of an encounter while I was waiting in line at my August “Town Hall” meeting.

An otherwise articulate, intelligent and informed GOPer
(who had been described by one of his neighbors as someone who had never had to work a day in his life, due to marriage)

went completely bonkers over Sarah Palin, and in the most childish way:

“She talks funny…those glasses…” and so on.

Look: if BlueBlood/CountryClub Republicans are so d*mned afraid of “outsiders” like Palin or Beck,
that they resort to such tirades (be they from Frum or whomever…),
then we must be doing something right!

Lockstein13 on September 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Communist, Nationalism socialism…all the same difference.

It just means a big government with a strong national identity with all the people working as a collective mob.

That’s McCain for you.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:32 AM

CAN’T WE BAN TROLLS LIKE THIS? :

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Listen: If Hitler said, “The Earth is round”, that wouldn’t automatically make the statement false.

Lockstein13 on September 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Excellent analysis, Stickeehands.

Firefly_76 on September 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I hope McCain and the neocons fail.

Glen Beck was Right on, Right on as Limpaw would say.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:39 AM

The war is not, nor should it be, a political football.
We are fighting over there to keep our nation safe and free over here.
Period.
Regardless of who’s President.

I’d like you to define what you mean by “neocon,” please.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Paul isn’t going to run again. Nor should he.

Jenfidel on September 22, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Jenfidel ,

What war?

The occupations you mean?

Ya those should be defunded.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:43 AM

neocon= nation builder, globalist, etc.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:44 AM

The president should NOT GET A STANDING PERIOD let alone foreign bases and nation building projects.

Spathi on September 22, 2009 at 8:45 AM