Quote of the day

posted at 9:21 pm on September 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Ran into Steven A. in the grocery store a few months ago. Cool guy. Taller than he looks on TV.

Go RBNY on September 19, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I’m only 2 minutes in, but Stephen A. Smith knows his stuff. Very impressive for a sports guy.

BadgerHawk on September 19, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Color me extremely shocked. He’s very correct about Michael Vick, too!

Sidebar: Levin’s voice is annoying.

SouthernGent on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Steve = Decent Human Being/American

Obama = Racist/Marxist/Socialist/Cry Baby

Seven Percent Solution on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Well, he voted for him, so he should take personal responsibility for what has transpired.

He is as guilty as all the whites that voted for him because “Well, we need to get the racial stuff behind us” garbage.

This kind of thinking is what got us Obama to begin with. And it is this kind of thinking that needs to change.

Joe Pyne on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I really like what he said here, but in that transcript in Ace’s comments from MSNBC he was propping Schultz and Obermann for their attention to the race issue.

He might be the sort of fellow to say what the audience wants to hear. Having said that, this clip of him is awesome, so I hope my minor caveat is totally wrong.

Spirit of 1776 on September 19, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Brilliant!

Scotsman on September 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I heard this live the other day, very nice.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM

heard him live on thursday night…great interview

cmsinaz on September 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Sidebar: Levin’s voice is annoying.

SouthernGent on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

LOL – I like his voice. It has a lot of personality.

Daggett on September 19, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Very inspirational listening to these two.

4shoes on September 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Some people get it, others not so much. Sadly as with Mr. Smith, we had to have Obama as president to find out just how bad a president he is. I agree with Joe Pine here, Mr Smith, you should have not voted “historically”, and found out just how evil this man was before you pushed that button. Now you are sorry, but hey, too late. You helped get him in there, maybe you will help get him out.

clinker46 on September 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Right-wing disdain for the first African-American president is primordially violent and expressed in dishonest, uninformed, racist and unpatriotic rhetoric and demonstration.

If this “racism” talk continues, sooner or later, somebody is going to say that criticism of a President of opposite color is “racism” .. at that point will Barack Obama be able to continue to blame George Bush

J_Crater on September 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Listened to the interview yesterday (downloaded FREE from itunes). Loved it.

txag92 on September 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Levin’s voice is not annoying… THAT’S RIGHT!!

CliffHanger on September 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I agree with Mark. I’d vote for Stephen A. Smith for president. He seems to have a real handle on the truth.

Daggett on September 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM

The fact he voted for him doesn’t lessen at all what he’s saying; in fact, it enhances it. He can’t change his vote, so just be thankful he feels the way he does, recognizes what is going on, and feels the need to speak out about it.

changer1701 on September 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Levin’s voice is not annoying… THAT’S RIGHT!!

CliffHanger on September 19, 2009 at 9:35 PM

THAT’S RIGHT! YEAH I SAID IT!!!

Daggett on September 19, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Sports knowledge and intelligence are not diametrically opposed. He knows his mind and speaks it.

Jeff2161 on September 19, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Remove yourself from the vocal transmission/reception device, gigantic imbecile!

Lanceman on September 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Wooooooooow. Screamin’ Freaking A. Smith. I feel a thrill running down my leg. Throw him in a cage with Mike Lupica.

Jorge Bonilla on September 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

This guy is awesome. If he runs for something, I’ll be sure to take an interest.

powerpro on September 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

THAT’S RIGHT! YEAH I SAID IT!!!

Daggett on September 19, 2009 at 9:38 PM

LOL! I like the Markisms.

txag92 on September 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Badass!

elduende on September 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM

How long until black liberals brand Stephen A an “Uncle Tom”?

barrythrowslikeagirl on September 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Powerful stuff. Its really that simple. Uplifting.

Geochelone on September 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Sounds like a fine stand up guy to me. (But lots of pentance for the voting Obama thing.)Glad to have you on board Stephen. Spread the word.

pghpat26 on September 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Maybe Mark Levin can learn some class from Stephen Smith. That’s right, I said it.

mobydutch on September 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM

To Any trolls that wonder in….

“GET OFF THIS THREAD YA BIG DOPE!!!”

katy on September 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM

THANK ME!

stevo on September 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.

George Washington
1732-1799, First President of the USA

pjean on September 19, 2009 at 9:46 PM

wow

notagool on September 19, 2009 at 9:46 PM

Iran has the bomb, Brzezinski wants to shoot down Israeli planes and this is the quote of the day?

He’s a good guy, but it’s not for today.

clnurnberg on September 19, 2009 at 9:47 PM

How long before the Left starts throwing Oreo cookies at Stephen…?

Seven Percent Solution on September 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I have always believed that after this historical election to elect the first black president that the African American vote would be up for grabs. This for the simple fact that because we have an African American president, the black masses (not elites) would finally pay attention to what’s going on. This man, Stephen A. Smith has given me hope for America, because the only reason the Democrats ever have a prayer in elections is because of the 90 percent plus support they get from African Americans. If that were to slip to 80%, this country would truly have a chance at real conservative governance.

milemarker2020 on September 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

How long until black liberals brand Stephen A an “Uncle Tom”?

barrythrowslikeagirl on September 19, 2009 at 9:43 PM

This early in the game, they’ll ignore him.
Then, they’ll try to find a skeleton or two.
Finally, they’ll get around to Uncle Tom-ing him.

massrighty on September 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Stephen A is already getting ripped as a sellout

Ripclawe on September 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Wow. AP-this is one of THE BEST QOTD’s in a while. A long one, but amazing.

Smith: “If you are paying attention, then you cannot be comfortable with what is taking place right now.” If only all Obama supporters were as honest as Smith. With his sport’s analysis, Smith always speaks his mind, sometimes he’s annoying, but I like him because he is transparent and provides the “why” to his opinions and picks.

But here, he knows his political stuff. Quite amazing that he listens to so much Conservative talk radio, similar to Camille Paglia. Wow.

I wonder what sort of backlash he’ll get.

conservative pilgrim on September 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Well said. Steven A says we need a spokesman – I nominate him.

peski on September 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM

An enlightened man who thinks for himself and can challenge the conventional wisdom. I had no idea who Stephen Smith was prior to this interview but thanks for posting this. I’m glad Levin interviewed him.

I see that Hannity has former congressman J.C. Watts on quite a bit–I’d like to see him run for something else. Heck, why doesn’t Condi Rice run for something? She was the best SecState we’ve had in a long time and a really incredible lady–also a concert pianist and someone else who is a confident, educated and principled person.

ted c on September 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

So Steve Smith and thousands if not millions voted “historically” for Obama because of his race. Jimah Carter trumpeted this historic possibility during the election season.
Obama gets in and he’s trying to “historically” change America into a more socialist country which a majority of Americans do not appear to want. Jimah now says Americans are racist for protesting Obama’s efforts to centralize more power in DC.
Seems to me if there is any racism it is with the egg and not the chicken!

chickasaw42 on September 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Wow, just wow.

IowaWoman on September 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Sidebar: Levin’s voice is annoying.

It’s an acquired taste. Like a good scotch.

TxAnn56 on September 19, 2009 at 10:02 PM

guess we know who’s next on the chopping block at epsn.

I didn’t give this guy much credit from what I’ve seen on ESPN, but that was very impressive.

jdsmith0021 on September 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Cool beans

bessex on September 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM

The guy is probably more Republican partisan than conservative.

The Dean on September 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM

This was incredible! We need to spread this around as quickly as we can. Stephen A. has such a unique voice on this that we need to elevate it ASAP!

sluhser589 on September 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM

A quote from Ripclawe’s link.

“Mr. Smith also responds to conservatives, who are now trying to claim him on Twitter: “I am NOT a Conservative. But I do have Conservative views…especially fiscally.”

disillusioned on September 19, 2009 at 10:09 PM

I heard Levin speak in Houston about three years ago with Hannity. I thought he sounded great! Real cool guy.

alwaysright43 on September 19, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I heard this the other night live, and was floored. Awesome clip. Good for you Mr. Smith. And thank you for your courage for speaking the truth.

JeffinOrlando on September 19, 2009 at 10:13 PM

Smith/Palin 2012

That’s the ticket!!!

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 10:13 PM

“GET OFF THIS THREAD YA BIG DOPE!!!”

katy on September 19, 2009 at 9:45 PM

What are you wearing?

thomasaur on September 19, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I love Mark Levin. He has strong beliefs and is not afraid to make a stand. I just wish he would lay off my other man, Glenn.

TXMomof3 on September 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Sidebar: Levin’s voice is annoying.

SouthernGent on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Yup. Face for radio and snarky, high pitched voice for print.

Mark30339 on September 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Sidebar: Levin’s voice is annoying.

SouthernGent on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

It’s definitely better than Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhbama.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM

“I’m a fan of Hannity’s radio show, not television. My reasons don’t always evolve around what people say; it’s how things are…done. You go ahead and focus on what people say and stop there. I study technique and other things that go into how folks do…things. Besides, I’m a registered INDEPENDENT. I don’t trust either side. Both are right and wrong sometimes. Period.”

In response to one Twitter user’s claim that he’s “selling out” for a check, Mr. Smith writes: “Just saw you accused me of selling my soul for a check. First of all, I don’t get paid by Fox or MSNBC. Secondly, I’ve expressed fiscally conservative views on many occasions, before and since MSNBC. Thirdly, just to be clear, I’m a sellout because I don’t on relying on Gov’t to come to my rescue? Because I don’t trust either party? I’m real sad you feel that way, bro. Thought you knew me better than that. Thought you were bigger than labeling folks just because their ideology doesn’t fit yours. Sad!!!”

Mr. Beck, Line 1. Refounder #3 is on the line.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 19, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Stephen A is already getting ripped as a sellout

Ripclawe on September 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Good in weird a way. The more exposure this 10 minute clip gets exposed the better.

SouthernGent on September 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Seriously, in all this talk of racism, who really are the racists? If Obama were white, where would he be? He’d probably be screwing up curriculums with Ayers in academia.

What puts me off so much about Obama and his supporters is that the only reason he got elected and the only reason he gets a pass on his radical agenda and associations is that he’s black.

It’s time to take a rhetorical (get that liberal trolls) four-by-four to this radical and get this country back on track. Honestly, who names as his green-jobs czar someone who apparently has never held a private-sector job and who has no background in energy-related sciences? Jones is nothing but a whining radical who is qualified to do nothing more than participate in a useless protest.

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I don’t know why would should be surprised. This fight is about Liberty. Freedom lovers come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Stephen A. Smith is correct, we need a powerful voice…who will it be?

d1carter on September 19, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Stephen A is already getting ripped as a sellout

Ripclawe on September 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

and the fact that he is already getting ripped is a travesty. Where is it written that a black man, or woman for that matter, cannot have any remnant of a conservative point of view without somehow betraying their heritage? Just mind boggling. Mr. Smith speaks intelligently, has obviously given serious consideration to the issues, maintains his political independence and he is somehow a “sell out”? This kind of stuff makes me crazy. He is absolutely SPOT ON when he states that conservatives do not have a messenger. We do not and that should be the focus of any political future we want to have. I hope that he continues to speak out and that he is not repudiated for his point of view. Perhaps more minority conservatives would then be able to speak out without fear of being labeled “sell outs”.

Willie on September 19, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I was never a big fan of Steven A. Smith but he is correct and has shown me a side you never get to see on ESPN. Thank You Steven and thanks as always Mark Levin.

nelsonknows on September 19, 2009 at 10:38 PM

As depressing as it is to hear common sense praised as brilliant epiphanies nowadays, keep in mind that liberals can dismantle Smith’s position pretty easily:

He’s rich.

They’ll say he’s out of touch with his community roots. They’ll say his wealth has shifted his priorities towards greed and against altruism. They’ll say that his message of self-reliance and independence from the government dole is simply to shuck his civic duty to look after his own people.

Khorum on September 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM

BuckeyeSam on September 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM

How can we? After what happened here in the wee hours of Friday morning by someone with an obvious agenda and then certain people (who shall remain nameless) fold like a cheap suit and basically cave to the idiots who now profess that it is us who are the bad guys, where do you go from here?

I’ve been thinking all day about what happened here yesterday, and I have to say, I’m really disappointed in the outcome.

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I really like what he had to say. And how about we stop trying to label everybody as one thing or another. It’s about time americans start taking control over their lives and actively participate in the governmental process regardless of their political affiliation. I admit I find myself labeling someone a con or a lib and I shouldn’t. I think if anything we should be labeling ourselves as patriots. It’s this whole labeling of dems and reps that got us into this mess in the first place. It makes us cynical and enemies of one another.

ranzofola on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

OT

Anyone seen simplesimon? I’ve got a few words for him/her.

joshlbetts on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

TXMomof3 on September 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM

There ya go again, talking about your “men”. What am I, chopped steak?

Seriously, Levin is a dedicated constitutional lawyer, whose hobby is talk radio.

Beck started out as a radio guy and understands more of the entertainment side than of the law itself.

Both, in their own ways, are keeping us focused on what’s important, which means more to me than Levin’s intemperate remarks about your man, Beck.

TXUS on September 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

To what are you referring?

changer1701 on September 19, 2009 at 10:44 PM

Poetry. He’s right about talk radio being the only effective outlet for conservative views. Hot Air too of course ;).

shooten on September 19, 2009 at 10:47 PM

katy can call anyone a dope, but it is funny to see how Levin backers react when someone questions their man. I know how you feel because I really enjoyed Levin until he decided to get petty on a regular basis because of his dislike of Glenn Beck. It isnt fun to sit back while someone constantly badmouths an American on our side.

mobydutch on September 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

I guess I missed all the fun, only heard about it second hand. I know about the perp (Mr. Fish), who was eventually flounced, but who folded like a cheap suit? I missed the perps comments too. They were deleted. What are you disappointed about?

Geochelone on September 19, 2009 at 10:48 PM

I missed the perps comments too.

Where any of the perps comments repeated (ie echoed) by posters here? If not, then yeah, the response was (publically) lighthanded.

At least AP could have written a guest-post @ Ace to respond appropriately if this venue wouldn’t allow it.

Spirit of 1776 on September 19, 2009 at 10:52 PM

I’m curious,when do the African Americans,who voted for
Obama,who share the same opinion as Smith,

when does the Great Liberal Awakening begin,the rebellion
and insurrection to take back their party from the Social
ists and Communists!!

canopfor on September 19, 2009 at 10:54 PM

That is a worthy quote of the day!

People who can bring the conservative message to anybody.

Speakup on September 19, 2009 at 10:57 PM

OT

Anyone seen simplesimon? I’ve got a few words for him/her.

joshlbetts on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Hopefully, banned with afroyutz.

Lanceman on September 19, 2009 at 11:00 PM

So the one Saturday night I decide to stay in and this is it?

Lanceman on September 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM

and the fact that he is already getting ripped is a travesty.

If you are taking flack, you are over the target.

mrpeabody on September 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Knucklehead–What do you think HA should’ve done differently?

conservative pilgrim on September 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM

So the one Saturday night I decide to stay in and this is it?

Lanceman on September 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Another Saturday nigt and I ain’t got nobody
I have some money ’cause i just got paid
How I wish I had someone to talk to
I’m in awful mess
I blew in town 1 week ago, I ain’t seen a lotta girls since then
If I could find’em I could get’em but as yet I have’nt met’em
That’s why I’m in the shape I’m in ohhhh
Another Saturday night and I ain’t got nobody
I have some money ’cause I just got paid
How I wish I had someone to talk to
I’m in awful mess

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM

So the one Saturday night I decide to stay in and this is it?

Lanceman on September 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM

Yeah, the whole day has been lame. Few posts, fewer commenters.

conservative pilgrim on September 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Oh. My. God. Screamin’ A. Smith, democrat/racial blowhard for years…is becoming conservative? I can’t think of a more shocking turn of events. There really is hope, people! Stunning.

jjraines on September 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Smith/Palin 2012

That’s the ticket!!!

Sorry–Gomer Huckabee wins first straw poll of the year at Value Voters Forum! Didn’t say if they voted for Boo-Boo as vp!

chickasaw42 on September 19, 2009 at 11:08 PM

I am surprised Steve voted for Obama. But he said he did.

Terrye on September 19, 2009 at 11:09 PM

conservative pilgrim on September 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Thank you.

Spirit of 1776 on September 19, 2009 at 11:09 PM

This is a great interview.

I liked listening to Stephen A. Smith a couple of years ago on local NYC sports on 1050 ESPN radio when he had a solo show. A great and funny perspective on NY sports teams. But last year he went on to politics and pro-Obama crap and I tuned off.
I am glad he turned around. All it takes is common sense. Kudos to Smith.

cubachi on September 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Yeah. Maybe you should change your name to parrothead.
If AP doesn’t post something really worth talking about, I’m going to start IMing Keith Overbite!

Lanceman on September 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Waking up and smelling the coffee a bit late.

Better late than never I supposse. Welcome to the “political terrorists” side of the aisle Mr. Smith.

Hog Wild on September 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM

OT: Someone in the comments of Ace’s post on this breaking-and-entering spam attack posted a screenshot of the thread in a .pdf. Hold on to your seats, what that commenter did was predatory, combative, and deranged. Really sick.

Links to screenshots of yesterday’s LGF attack above. Good night all.

conservative pilgrim on September 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM

The sooner the Republicans stop claiming conservatives and start following conservatives, the better off they’ll be.

uknowmorethanme on September 19, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I hate to ruin the party but this guy is full of sh*t. He was on either CNN or MSNBC saying the exact OPPOSITE of what he said to Levin. He cried RACISM on one of those shows late last week.

AYNBLAND on September 19, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I’m totally with Mark Levin: I want to reach out to my liberal friends and SMACK SOME DAMN SENSE INTO THEM!

rmgraha on September 19, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Wow, what a refreshing change of pace from the usual media fool.A semi-DEM/CONS in transition with disagreements, that can seem to articulate,debate and persuade, with logical thought.

Jeff from WI on September 19, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Holy $%&#! Stephen A. Smith might be one of the most annoying people of all-time on ESPN, but that interview was incredible. Not only does he appear to be a closet conservative, but articulated what conservatism is about as well as anyone I’ve heard in a long time. Who knew?

Doughboy on September 19, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Obama is a conservative creation machine. Three more years of his crap, really just 1 more because 2010 will defang him.

Mojave Mark on September 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I was with him up until they started talking about that POS, Vick.

FloatingRock on September 19, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Clearly this is an interview given by an Uncle Tom to a raaaacisssssst.

csdeven on September 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM

The day the majority of people of Negroid DNA can relate, understand and identify themselves and others WITHOUT reference or even attention to their DNA (“being Black”), is the day I’ll start taking ‘them’ seriously.

Charles Payne, for example, that great guy on FOX who is among the Business Editors there, the guy talks about issues with intelligence and enthusiasm, enjoys himself and other people in the process, does not seem to ever relate by way of his DNA (expressely) or discriminate against others on such, nor romances others be they Black or White based upon them being either/or.

But Payne’s a very rare guy, unfortunately. If 99% (or such, might be 95%) of people with Negroid DNA voted for Obama “because he’s Black” and likely will again regardless of issues and behaviors (any/all), then that’s patent racism BY THEM. It’s like they’re functioning under some sort of hypnosis or illness, unable to think beyond “colors and shapes” and the like.

This guy’s making sense but he remains among those who are captured in “color voting” and I still can’t take him seriously because he is.

Lourdes on September 19, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I just went through both PDFs from the LGF attack yesterday which apparently occurred in the off hours and I am kind of stunned. These LGFers are seriously sick. No wonder traffic is down today. It sucks the wind out of you.

Charles Johnson and Killgore Trout are almost dangerous.

I expect this whole thing to end badly. CJ is not well in a real medical psychiatric sense.

Geochelone on September 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Knucklehead–What do you think HA should’ve done differently?

conservative pilgrim on September 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM

I’m not sure at this point. I just read some of that crap from the link you posted and we get chastised or muzzled? And all I saw from our members was good old fun, but now we’re racists because some closet racist came here and raised hell?

This “racist” BS is starting to wear on me, I guess.

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Sidebar: Levin’s voice is annoying.

SouthernGent on September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Would you rather listen to this?

Chaz706 on September 19, 2009 at 11:39 PM

No wonder traffic is down today. It sucks the wind out of you.
Geochelone on September 19, 2009 at 11:32 PM

It certainly does. I came home from D.C., had the time of my life, only to come home to hear that we are racists according to Chuckles, “that we’re wrong” according Axelrod and Joe Wilson is now a racist for speaking the truth.

How can this country keep going with so much of this crap being rammed down our throats? I need another vacation.

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM