Media Matters dishonest editing in support of their “smear” argument exposed

posted at 11:30 am on September 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

We have always known that Media Matters is a partisan-hack “media watchdog” site, but we didn’t know they were this bad at it.  Lorie Byrd at Wizbang demolishes the Media Matters “smear” charges against Fox News simply by comparing their edited versions of the clips to the original, and noting that what Media Matters left out is exactly what they claim Fox left out of its reporting.  It’s part of their ongoing campaign to label as a smear the airing of a video in which someone claims to have committed a murder, and it’s getting more threadbare by the moment.

Here’s the Media Matters argument:

Fox News’ Glenn Beck recently aired a video indicating that an ACORN employee shot and killed her husband, without first bothering to verify whether the husband is, in fact, dead. He isn’t. The video is, in other words, a fraud. But that didn’t stop Beck from calling it evidence of “murder” and perhaps even “premeditated murder.” Of a person who is still alive.

Sean Hannity aired it, too. …

Any chance we’ll see this level of outrage directed at Glenn Beck for unquestioningly airing an apparently fraudulent tape in order to portray an ACORN employee as a murderer? Beck has, after all, been pretty clear that he is trying to bring ACORN down.

Media Matters wonders why Beck aired it “unquestioningly,” but that’s not what happened when you watch the full clip, which Media Matters doesn’t provide:

Lorie writes:

When I watched the video Media Matters ran I immediately knew what was up because they chopped Beck’s commentary to bits and curiously left out the part of it that completely contradicts their claim. I looked for the Beck video at YouTube to make sure I was not misremembering his commentary and here is a transcript of what I found.

Glenn Beck: “This is twisted, bizarre, macabre. I mean, is this theater? I’m not a lawyer. I’m not a jury. Um, but gosh even to me it seems like this is a potential admission of murder and the way she was describing doing some groundwork beforehand, you know so everyone in town knew exactly what was going on, a case might be made for premeditated murder. In fairness, I don’t understand people who stay in abusive relationships. I don’t. I get it. I get it. And maybe a jury might conclude that it was justifiable homicide. I don’t know but we haven’t been even able to confirm from the state of California whether Theresa’s husband from ten years ago was killed. Or if he’s dead. Or if she even had a husband. Did she make the story up? I don’t know. Nobody is asking questions. See if the mainstream media will follow this one. This is shocking. It raises serious questions about what is going on inside of ACORN.”

I italicized the portion of the commentary Media Matters provided to their readers in the mishmash video they put together. The parts they omitted are not italicized. I put in bold the part of Beck’s comments that directly contradict Media Matters post.

Media Matters compares this to the Dan Rather/TANG incident, in which CBS passed off obvious forgeries as legitimate documents from the Texas Air National Guard from the early 1970s. Even CBS had to admit that the documents turned out to be forgeries; in fact, their source Bill Burkett admitted on air that he had supposedly destroyed the originals and retyped them. It’s nice to see Media Matters finally admitting that CBS faked that story, though, since they seem comfortable using it as a standard. And the CBS story didn’t involve a videotape of their subject claiming to have committed the crime. Using someone’s own words is hardly a “smear,” and an admission of murder on videotape seems pretty newsworthy regardless of the circumstances.

More to the point, this editing shows the rank dishonesty and flat-out incompetence of Media Matters. Did they think that no one would check the rest of the tape? Be sure to read all of Lorie’s post.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sorry, SK, but that doesn’t fly. You’re trying to “Shoot the messenger” and nobody’s buying it. In fact, you’re countenancing to fraud in order to shoot the messenger.

Huh? Whatever you say, I’ve given you facts. Dispute them, or ‘try to stay in lines’.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I like how the troll has moved on from defending Media Matters for editing video to “prove” their point, to calling us all stupid doody-heads.

It must never listen to ANY news source if Rick Sanchez getting his panties in a wad over some throwaway line is a DAMNING INDICTMENT of FoxNews.

Techie on September 19, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Techie on September 19, 2009 at 1:44 PM

He’s doing more than trying to shoot the messenger he is deliberately lying, attempting to mislead, and reframe the issues in order to obscurificate.

Blake on September 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I know what you watch because I know the pattern of lies you tell. You don’t even know what journalism is supposed to do. You think that showing that woman claiming to be a murder was about the murder. It was about the kind of people ACORN hires. The depth of the depravity. Not the murder at all. What type of person says stuff like that?

Not the kind that “helps” anyone.

So you and yours missed the entire point of the message.

And you continue to support child sex slavery.

petunia on September 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM

So you stopped by to tell, what you think are stupid people, that they are stupid for watching a stupid news channel.

Got it.

daesleeper on September 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM

When did I call someone “stupid”? I’m sorry I interrupted your Fox News ‘love fest’ with some harsh truth, but please don’t put words in my mouth. Only a “stupid” person would do that.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:50 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:50 PM

And what truth was that? That Media Matters told more truth in editing than Beck did in not editing?

Funny truth that.

petunia on September 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I’m sorry I interrupted your Fox News ‘love fest’ with some harsh truth

No, actually you leaped into a reveal of Media Matter’s distortions to “prove” a point, and fell over yourself to defend it AND change the subject at the same time. Neat trick.

Techie on September 19, 2009 at 1:54 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM

You poor dear.

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Not the kind that “helps” anyone.

So you and yours missed the entire point of the message.

And you continue to support child sex slavery.

petunia on September 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM

I know, I work for ACORN…yada yada yada…child slavery…yada yada. I didn’t miss anything. Personally, I don’t know why they chose to air that particular tape, but I know that it wasn’t real, which is ultimately the argument. Should a news organization air stories without prior research? ACORN had enough corrupt employees that checked out, so why air an unverified video?

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM

She is a representative of ACORN, she was given scenarios that she did not challenge but actually built upon. If she was lying, that’s fine but she wasn’t forced to lie. At the very least it shows that this woman has too much time on her hands to engage in such foolishness on her employers (taxpayers) dime, at most it shows that she is corrupt.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM

The tape wasn’t real? What, CGI?

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Someone tell the folks at Media Matters that yes, media does matter. The editing looks like first year college broadcaster kid stuff. But remember, it is for their red-meat socialist audience which prefers to be kept in the dark – - not for thinking people who are smart (and, apparently, more technically sharp)

kens on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Funny truth that.

petunia on September 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM

oh geez…go back and read my first post. This is getting rather tiresome.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM

She actually stated that the scenario was so ridiculous that she met them with even more “over-the-top” rhetoric. These individuals came to HER office…so remind me again of who’s wasting “taxpayer’s dime”? She’s corrupt, because she had some fun with fake reporters? Really?

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Keep trying, rube.

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:11 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:59 PM
The tape wasn’t real? What, CGI?

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Now you are just being silly. She did not kill her husband. Therefore the information on that tape was bogus, fake, not real, inaccurate…pick one.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Your defense is that she’s not a murderer, just a liar. While advising people on how to commit crimes.

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM

And comments are closed for that post at mediamatters. Hmmmmmmmm. Afraid someone will tell and show them they are full of sh!t?

JeffWeimer on September 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM

No one who watched the whole Beck segment could possibly come away thinking that FOX claimed she killed someone. She is the only person who claimed she killed someone.

Go eat some crayons.

misterpeasea on September 19, 2009 at 2:15 PM

You’re trying to say the tape was bogus because she lied?

Who is the small child again?

misterpeasea on September 19, 2009 at 2:16 PM

So when Charlie Rangel lies to the camera about his income and assets, we shouldn’t show that clip because it’s not real?

Interesting theory, lil guy.

misterpeasea on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM

She’s no more of a liar than the people who came to her office pretending to be pimps, prostitutes, and child slave advocates right? That’s besides the point, the media matters post was accurate in its assessment that they (FOX NEWS) DID air a video tape without prior knowledge as to whether the information on the tape was factual. I repeat, WHO DOES THAT???

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

They know their serious readership are morons and too stupid to check David Brocks’ lies.

Topsecretk9 on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

“When the ACORN staffer confessed to a murder while advising two people she believed to be a prostitute and her pimp on how to commit various illegal activities, she was just being a silly goose.”

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

How would you employers feel if you entertained strangers off the street trying to out bull sh!t each other? How does this sound, “I am sorry but I don’t think I can help you with your situation.”? Sounds like what an adult with a job would say, doesn’t it? ACORN is heavily funded by taxpayer dollars, so her trip to fantasy land was paid for by taxpayers or donations. I don’t want to donate any more.

Cindy Munford on September 19, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Yes, she is more of a liar.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

ANY OTHER NEWS ORGANIZATION WHO GOT THEIR HANDS ON A TAPE LIKE THAT.

What’s factual is that this person thought she had to establish her street credentials for people she believed to be criminals, while advising them on criminal activity. If you’re enough of a rube to believe her backpedalling, please continue amusing us.

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM

You have to wonder about the nuts still trying to defend this woman and ACORN when the donks are running as far away as they can.

Blake on September 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM

They weren’t airing the tape to prove the truth or falsity of the statements made therein. The fact that the statements were made at all is newsworthy in itself.

So yes, FOX aired the tape without knowing the truth or falsity of all the statements made therein. And they didn’t make any claims to that effect either.

You aren’t this stupid, you’re just trying to obscure the point.

misterpeasea on September 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM

You guys have fun defending Fox and their ACORN murderer video. I believe I made my point, and so has everyone else who disagrees with me, no need to talk in circles. Good day.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Bravely brave Sir Robin, Sir Robin, Sir Robin;
Bravely brave Sir Robin, Sir Robin ran away.

misterpeasea on September 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM

You guys have fun defending Fox and their ACORN murderer video.

Show where anybody at Fox accused her of actually committing the murder she confessed to.

Circles? Dude, you’re just spraying squiggly lines all over the place.

Good day.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Don’t forget your ball.

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I repeat, WHO DOES THAT???

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Dan Rather…dumba$$. Remember this?

Now STFU and go away.

milwife88 on September 19, 2009 at 2:31 PM

…no need to talk in circles. Good day.

Treacher 1 Troll 0. Getting troll to admit doesn’t believe on spin: priceless.

Spirit of 1776 on September 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

If your point was to reveal yourself as a lying fool, yes you made it. Good riddance.

Blake on September 19, 2009 at 2:33 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Have Charles and Kilgore returned?

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

StoneKrab? Is that related to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDZy6-fMCw4 ?

coyoterex on September 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Why is everyone talking about CNN when arguing with me. I don’t work for them. This is about Fox News and Media Matters. Stay on topic people. It’s funny how no one is willing to defend that link I provided. Blatant lie. And that was YESTERDAY.

StoneKrab343 on September 19, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Translation:

“Del asked me for proof that Fox News lies, and I couldn’t find any.”

Del Dolemonte on September 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM

StoneKrab343 on September 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Translation: “I got my getalife kicked to the Equator and back.”

Del Dolemonte on September 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Acorns roasting on an open fire
Flames nipping Obama on the ass toes
Situation for his gangsters looks more and more dire
And Obama folks all looking like big crime syndicate schmoes

Everybody knows ACORN’s filled with those who to prison should go
Lets all help to make the light on them shine bright
Real reporters like O’Keefe and Giles with their eyes aglow
Will make it hard for Obama to sleep at night

And so I’m offering this simple phrase
To Axelrod and Rahm too
Although it’s been said many times, many ways
You filthy crooks get out of Washington town and take your Capo of Crime Obama with you

MB4 on September 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

And we should believe this woman because she is so known for truth telling, right?

You missed the point of this part of the story completely and probably purposely.

WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE IS ACORN HIRING? Can they really only find nutcases? Aren’t there any normal people who want to work for ACORN? If not why?

Total point of showing Tresa in all her glory… instead of editing up her part.

THESE ARE THE SCUM BAGS ACORN TRUSTS WITH OUR MONEY!!!

Are you really as clueless as you sound?

petunia on September 19, 2009 at 2:50 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Have Charles and Kilgore returned?

Knucklehead on September 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

On the “small” matter of Charles and Kilgore -

It is really difficult to believe that Charles Johnson did not put this Kilgore Trout racist up to his “N” bomb tirade, or at the very least OK’ed it. From what others have said Kilgore Trout is an LGF associate to Charles Johnson. Charles Johnson would only let a very loyal person be that. He doesn’t even let people continue to comment if they get the least bit off from his views. Now I am imagining that I am a loyal Charles Johnson soldier and assuming that I have even half a brain, would I do anything even remotely like that without first checking with Charles Johnson to get his OK? Obviously not.

KentAllard on September 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Are we reduced to defending the truth? StoneKrab can go to hell for all I care. It can believe anything it wishes to. It can write all the posts it wants, and if respond, its in hog heaven. We know the truth. We know where the NON-msm stand. We know that the fascist UBERleft lie, cheat and steal. Have they not demonstrated that every hour of every day for years? Let us forget there is even a thing called stonekrab. Ignore it and it will go away. It is its job to disrupt us here, that is their new tactic. So, it simply does not exist! Voila! Done!

sharinlite on September 19, 2009 at 3:10 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

She says she played, but, to me, it doesn’t look like playing.

The fact that she lied about killing her husband doesn’t make the video a lie. And Beck caught and reported the possibility that she was lying.

The big question: Did she call the police? We all know the answer to that one — there’s nothing on the blotter. [Not that calling would have helped her -- it didn't help her compadre in San Diego one iota -- he still got thrown under the bus.]

What we do know is that Kaelke thought Giles ought to drop her pimp, and that things would get ugly when she did.

Kaelke has been portrayed as either afraid or playing along by ACORN. Which one is it?

In any case, I can imagine the kind of specialized help Ms. Kaelke will be tasked to provide by ACORN. Want to off your husband? She knows how to do it without getting caught…

unclesmrgol on September 19, 2009 at 3:13 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Troll leaves in a Huff, after numerous tortuous lies and Pretzel Logic. Why do You People always use the same gibberish? Been to the same seminars, maybe?

BTW, you did’n’ make no point, no-how

Janos Hunyadi on September 19, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Stonekarb:

LOL! yeah right! How about the alphabet networks:
- everytime they run a clip of Obama talking about healthcare?
- or broadcasting Michelle Obama yesterday tearing up about being so emotional when she had to take her daughter to the ER when she was younger and being grateful to have health insurance or else her daughter would not have gotten medical care. BS – Reagan signed a bill 20+ years ago assuring ER treatment for anyone walking in whether or not they habe health insurance.
- or not revealing Michelle’s complicity in creating a patient dumping practice at University of Chicago Hospital (lying through ommission)
- or Baucus claiming his bill costs less than $1B
- or Jimmy I-am-an-antiSemite Carter stating that all opposition to Obama is based in racism
- or – well you get the point (or maybe you don’t)

The liberal media lies first and only tells the truth when circumstances force them to. Despicable.

in_awe on September 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM

BTW – Media Mattes has closed the comments on this issue – just when some folks started calling them out on their editing! LOL! Figures – no interest in telling the truth to its drones.

in_awe on September 19, 2009 at 3:31 PM

to summarize

David Brock = POS

corona on September 19, 2009 at 3:34 PM

StonedKrab,

If Media Matters wanted to make an argument that Fox said concluded too much, then why do they just use clips of people calling the video “shocking”. Is admission of murder just not “shocking” to you.

The other thing they use is Hannity saying that she “admitted” to murder–which she did. She might not have done it, but she admitted to it all the same.

The Beck clip is the most telling and the most manipulative. MM makes NO compelling argument here.

Look at what O’Keefe and Giles have found? They found people who can talk about underage sex trade without batting an eye–why would murder be so far beyond them?

Now, I have to admit, when I saw the video, she looked like a drunk talking crap. I have some experience with stoners and drunks talking crap–and she just seemed to have that vibe.

Also, nobody mentions that MM is entirely credulous to ACORN’s version of events: She was playing along.

And even Glenn Beck says he’s not a journalist, but he’s doing stories because the news media won’t. And what he is expressing is incredulity that none of these stories are big enough to cover by the press. He even asks why HE is doing these stories.

I think he gives the Obama Press Corps (MSM if you prefer) too much credit. It’s pretty obvious why they’re not doing these stories.

Axeman on September 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM

Stoned Krabby argues in a manner almost exactly like a previous troll who was banned a couple of months ago. Anyone want to take bets on how long the troll lasts this time before its bile bubbles over and it gets banned again?

BillyGoatGruff on September 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM

They were doing their job, she should have been doing hers. But no. Apparently shes got time to shoot the s with people she didn’t feel were legitimate and dressed in “ridiculous” outfits. They don’t look street enough, but she’s too afraid they are going to batter down the door or something if she locks it after sending them out to talk to the guy across the street that she will later throw in a gratis death threat about.

Drunk. That’s what I buy.

Axeman on September 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

BillyGoatGruff on September 19, 2009 at 3:54 PM

That doesn’t really narrow it down…

Jim Treacher on September 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Lots of disent over there this morning. When chuckie finally wakes he is going to blow a gasket. And probably killgore as well.

Chuckie’s gonna blow Trout? Heheh

(oops…is that an animal reference?)

FinallyRight on September 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM

the story never was that the lady murdered her husband. It was that she claimed to have murdered her husband. Fox and Beck were accurate in reporting that. Stonekrab and Media Matters are twisting themselves into knots trying to spin this as something other than what it is… and that’s a good thing!!! When libs have to resort to such weak spin in order to defend their side or disparage Fox and Beck it shows how vapid their arguments are.

When they have to use a “what the meaning of ‘is’ is” defense then we’ve won the argument. Thanks libs!

Ampersand on September 19, 2009 at 4:55 PM

That is what I read,
Maureen Dowd

LOL!

These were the un-written words I read!

And you can’t challenge that or you’re a fascist

DSchoen on September 19, 2009 at 5:06 PM

It’s not the kind of thing a premeditated murderer is going

to share with strangers.
Instead I saw a complete wack job, which must be a prerequisite for securing employment at ACORN.
TXUS on September 19, 2009

There are so many valid observations of that video it’s interesting to see what people put at the top of their list.

Nutcase was high on my initial observation, next was why is she doing the pee pee dance.

DSchoen on September 19, 2009 at 5:12 PM

(oops…is that an animal reference?)

FinallyRight on September 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Could someone please clue me in on the ‘animal reference’ thing? I refuse to miss a running HA joke because I was in DC.
Thanks.

shibumiglass on September 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Actually, seeing her on tape, I bet the husband shot himself.

ronsfi on September 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Actually, seeing her on tape, I bet the husband shot himself.

ronsfi on September 19, 2009 at 5:28 PM

She only thought she had a husband

CWforFreedom on September 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Awesome job!! Glenn Beck has a clear-cut case to sue Media Matters for slanter; so does Fox!

Great job, Media Matters. Guess the Alinsky tactics didn’t work for ya this time, eh?!?

DINORight on September 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM

StoneKrab343 on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

CNN did it. So did C-BS.

Del Dolemonte on September 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:10 PM

While I’d like to see ACORN defunded and castrated, it sure looks to me like StoneKrab is right here. Some people get conned because they are too willing to believe the evil of the enemy.

thuja on September 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Thanks.

shibumiglass on September 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM

See this HA post on comments and standards: http://hotair.com/archives/2009/09/18/a-note-about-our-comment-section/

DINORight on September 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Thanks :)

shibumiglass on September 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM

That’s EXACTLY what they think, and this isn’t the first time MMFA-types have lied like cheap rugs about what Beck has and hasn’t said.

Remember that the first hit on Beck since his migration from CNN to FNC was that he shared responsibility for the murderous shooting spree/suicide of Richard Poplawski, a Pittsburgh, PA white supremacist who believed that there were plans afoot for “FEMA camps” reserved for political dissidents.

On my blog back in April, I painstakingly transcribed the YouTube videos of Beck’s radio and TV appearances (which are unfortunately no longer available) that prove that contrary to the claims of MMFA contributor Oliver Willis, Beck was not lending credence to such rumors spread by Alex Jones and Stormfront types, he was trying to debunk the rumors.

Here’s part of my message to Willis, who refused to approve my comments on his blog because they devastated his argument:

None of this would be a surprise to you, Mr. Willis, if you weren’t so dedicated to “truthiness” rather than truth. But you weren’t interested in really examining the ADL’s assertion. You weren’t even interested in the more significant charges in the ADL piece regarding Poplawski’s white supremacist views, his rabid hatred of Hispanics, Jews, Asians and Blacks, the fact he was dishonorably discharged from the Marines, his frequenting the neo-Nazi Stormfront website, that he allegedly didn’t like the fact Jones’ crowd didn’t lay enough blame on Zionists, or the paranoia that made him advise white people he met at supermarkets to stock up on canned food. You just breezily ignored the ADL piece’s bullet points, which mentioned neither Beck nor [Ron] Paul. You instead took a 1,252-word article detailing a murderous bigot’s multiple phobias and looked for any kernel to extract from Poplawski’s bloody legacy that would allow you to place false blame on the mainstream right…

…Willis, I had never heard of you until I was alerted to your nonsense by other blogs. I knew what type of person you had to be to demagogue the crimes of Poplawski and the deaths of the officers. But that’s just the half of it; after reviewing the ADL link, it’s apparent you think your readers are idiots, and will accept what you say just because it’s what they want to believe without checking for themselves. And clearly, many of your readers ARE idiots.

Had I known going in you worked for Media Matters for America — an organization that thrives on disingenuity and deliberate displays of false context — I would have expected that. Now I know exactly what you are. And so does everybody reading this comment.

L.N. Smithee on September 19, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I don’t know, if you’re looking for fake you might try…
maybe CNN reporting on possible terrorism in NYC when it was really a Coast Guard drill? FOX at least has the larger narrative right. And when they got the story behind the woman’s claim they ran that too.

You’re so focused on what is really an insignificant detail that you can’t see the forest for the trees. The meta story is about ACORN advising a couple, posing as a pimp and prostitute, on how to break numerous laws at various locations. Are you really going to insist that none of that matters because one employee was a) playing the couple for suckers, b) in fear for her life or c) off her rocker?

NTropy on September 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Hey gang, Stonekrab hasn’t posted in several hours. Move on. It wasn’t even a fair fight. Blow the smoke of the barrel of your guns, re-holster those puppies. The troll has gone back under his bridge (with some pretty key body parts in his hand.)
…I’ve been out playing with my dogs, but ya’ll kicked troll tushie!

Chewy the Lab on September 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

It sounds like a truism, I know, but if you have the truth, there’s no reason to lie.

Akzed on September 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Mr. Joe on September 19, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Funny. Thats why blue states are living in a dream world.

BTW Media Mad Hatters…FU

Geochelone on September 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Thanks.

shibumiglass on September 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Animal sex jokes are okay per Ed. hth

Blake on September 19, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Media Matters is the “media critic” version of ACORN. I remember reading Byron York, I think it was in his book, The Vast Left Wing Conspiracy, that the left decided years ago that they needed to have their own think tanks and organizations to match up with the conservative organizations that regularly eat their lunch, because they thought that conservatives were the ones with ideas. But these creations of theirs haven’t really produced any new ideas, just vitriol and smears of the right.

Democrats are fleeing from ACORN like a plague, but I don’t see any of them asking how or shy it turned out to be more like a criminal organization than a true public service one.

flataffect on September 19, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I see that the comments section is locked on this posting over at Media Matters. Figures that it would be locked as soon as someone caught them lying–the better to keep the ever faithful, ever faithful

CalFed on September 19, 2009 at 7:14 PM

What is interesting is that Breitbart, Beck and Fox have done is put out as much of the material as possible so that a full context can be gathered by anyone willing to review the material. They did not ‘push’ a woman’s claims, but let her speak… and then release unedited video so you can get much fuller context and determine just what sort of individual she is.

To say she is ‘playing around’ with two people is asinine, in the extreme and an attempt to put something into play which is not evident in the videos. That entire context of unedited videos is far more damning than what was aired, just as the complete Abscam videos were: they show individuals behaving as they would normally, without scripting or rehearsing. We get to see the character of these people by what they do and how they act. Media Matters attempted to change context, distort what was broadcast and does not put out full and complete evidence of what they are criticizing. In an era where disk space is cheap, that should be mandatory for all media. Trying to play ‘sound bite gotchya’ goes back to the pre-net, pre-computerized era of journalism and puts all of its flaws up for all to see. Criticism via sound bites, via snippets, via a single sentence of a large document is not properly giving the viewer/reader/listener that exact context so they can judge, for themselves, if your analysis is complete and fair.

Fairness is up to the viewer, not to the provider to say it is or not, which is one of the gripes I have with Fox. I prefer the PJ Media dictum: Open and Transparent.

The era of reporting that we are heading into, as well as that of analysis, will radically alter how we examine information as it will be driven by the Feiler Faster Thesis which is now eating the legacy media’s lunch and putting 20th century progressive politics into turmoil. Spin becomes evident when you don’t provide full context or at least large enough context to provide surrounding evidence to bolster one’s claims. Doing that does not make easy to read, easy to digest articles… but once you get the hang of it, there is no better feeling than knowing you have provided your reader/viewer with enough of a ‘feel’ of what you are talking about so that they have confidence they can research it themselves to investigate YOUR WORK. Media Matters didn’t do that and is now getting bitten by it… and that tells me more about them than their criticism and those trying to bolster it. Just like in the video.

ajacksonian on September 19, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Micturition Matters.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 19, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I don’t know what ‘point’ I’m missing.

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 1:38 PM

No spit, Spurlock!

L.N. Smithee on September 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Come on guys, give the troll a break. Just because he has a coupla typos in his screen name.

Not many victims of the public education system can spell StonedCrap properly, and at least he chose a user name CLOSE to being an apt description.

LegendHasIt on September 19, 2009 at 9:52 PM

We are going to have to drag the SO CALLED Progressives kicking and screaming into the 21st century. These people who are employed by Soros are not adults. They exhibit some kind of arrested emotional development not unlike Soros himself probably suffers from. These folks don’t hold up well to the light they are emotionally stunted. Who would make such suggestion as these? Children looking for attention.

Dr Evil on September 19, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I see someone gave toiletkrab a tooth pick and he pole vaulted to “freedom”.

jdkchem on September 20, 2009 at 12:32 AM

StoneKrab on September 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Gee you sound just like Bill O’reiley when he claimed that John Kerry is a honest person. Hang it up Dude. With that statement you made there, you have proven to the world that, at the least, you are a moron, and at the most, you are an idiot.

BruceB on September 20, 2009 at 12:32 AM

P.S. Who does that?
ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, PRN

BruceB on September 20, 2009 at 12:34 AM

the presence of the DNC supplied Trolls here, and at Powerline are getting boring. Stonekrab, why don’t you go hang out with the other self loathing America haters at Kos and leave us alone? You’re boring us. Really. BORING.

davecatbone on September 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I’m just happy the story got out… Positive results are happening…

After all, they are MY TAX DOLLARS that are being misspent… And I want it STOPPED…

Please keep your eyes on the prize… This is a good start…

Bye bye, Elite Media… NOT sorry to see you go…

Khun Joe on September 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Media Matters, a self-proclaimed media watchdog, flagrantly distorts and lies?

Amusingly ironic and Orwellian.

justltl on September 20, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Did they think that no one would check the rest of the tape?

Yes. People who go to Media Matters for their version of the truth are too lazy to bother checking the facts themselves.

mizflame98 on September 20, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Sanchez and Razmatazz

The CNN twisted, non sequitur rant against Fox is available on..drumroll…Daily Kos! And can be accessed easily. Fox apparently ran an ad about the lack of coverage of the recent Washington demonstration by several networks. Little Rickey went off.

The whole ACORM scandal has me disappionted. What happened to the fact that The One worked for them? Oh yea, it was just a law firm he worked for. No closer than Rezko, at least in records you can find today.

How about a taxpayer funded mob working for Dems?

THAT should be the scandal and even the one light we have, FOX, has to use two kids and sensational stuff like child prostitution to impeach the illegal enterprise. Razmatazz!

IlikedAUH2O on September 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM