Video: The empirical evidence against Big Government

posted at 1:38 pm on September 18, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

No, this is not a rebuttal to the ACORN undercover videos from BigGovernment, but the second of two parts from the Center for Freedom and Prosperity’s Dan Mitchell, also of Cato Institute. Dan reviews empirical data comparing the Western democracies rated the most free nations on the size of their government and their relative prosperity. The US has the smallest government in the group, an accomplishment that Mitchell notes is not terribly impressive given the competition. However, the difference in relative prosperity in all different measures is indeed impressive:

This is the follow-up from last month’s entry on how big government hurts the economy. We hosted the first episode when it was released, but here it is again if you missed it:

Comments

Sure whatever, but without a massive government bureaucracy there would be literally millions of losers, criminals, thugs, and human trash who might never have a job.

Can we think of them, can we consider their feeling and needs for just a moment in this rush to judgment?

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Redistributionist societies reduce the incentive to produce, that’s the bottom line.

Why work your butt off if you can live a pretty comfortable existence by sitting on it and no one around you sees any problem with it?

NoDonkey on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

In an ironic way, I actually agree with your post.
I don’t know, after looking at some of these gov. employees, if I want them in the public sector.
Locking them up in a gov. office keeps them off the streets.

right2bright on September 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Good points, but…
Couldn’t they get someone else to do the talking? This guy’s voice gets on my nerves.

Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM

That was pretty interesting.

I think one good way of measuring economic health between countries vis-a-vis big government would be to measure the PERCENTAGE OF ADULTS STARTING A NEW BUSINESS PER YEAR, EACH YEAR.

Personal entreprenuership (and its growth into larger companies and corporations) has been the hallmark of moving from feudalism to capitalism. I’d like to see what percent, of say, Denmark, or Sweden’s adults are starting a business in a give year.

I bet it’s a WHOLE lot less than the usa (obviously less in raw population, but i mean percentage, or ratios).

Also, the total percent of small business owners would be interesting: I know that rouhgly 10% of americans own their own business, i bet it’s much less than 4 or 5% in sweden or denmark

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:49 PM

All this means to Obooba is that there’s a lot of work to do.

Akzed on September 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Fishing without a tag again?

Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Good points, but…

Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM

LOL. But if they had someone Andy Griffith sounding, then the northeastern rinos would complain ;)

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Wait, there is a group of people that like that kind of voice? Who?

Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Many people, when they see a problem they assume that the solution is easy. Just pass a regulation, and the problem will be solved.

What they don’t realize, is that a one size fits all regulation may fix the problem that they see, but it will cause 10 new problems.

The obvious solution (to them) is 10 new regulations, each carefull tailored to fix the 10 new problems.

However, each of the 10 new regulations cause 10 new problems. And it grows forever. Until there is a regulation to cover ever conceivable situation under the sun. However, nobody has time to read the regulations, to ensure that they are keeping within the law.

Also, as regulations grow, those who have the power and money to buy themselves a politician, or a regulator, do so. Then instead of getting regulations, merely designed to solve a problem, we get regulations designed to steer money to the person who bought the politician or regulator, but nobody will know, because there are so many regulations being produced every year, that nobody reads most of them.

In order for govt to solve the imperfections of the market, govt would have to be more perfect than the market.
However, the market directly responds to the needs and wants of actual consumers, all consumers, on a pretty close to real time schedule.

Govt on the other hand, is only interested in pleasing enough voters to get the policians elected, and then only once every 2, 4, or 6 years.

As P.J. O’Rouke once said, “When govt controls buying and selling, the first thing bought and sold will be politicians.”

MarkTheGreat on September 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Fishing without a tag again?
Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Tags? I don’t need no stinking tags.

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM

It is funny how it takes MANY studies and writings and journals and ect. for “academics” to reach a common sense conclusion: past basic duties, the more the government tries to do, the worse off the country becomes.

There is a reason that the Constitution was written the way it was by the men that wrote it. Greater minds than anyone currently serving in Congress or the White House with infinitely better understanding of man and human nature gave our Federal Government a VERY limited role and very specific basic duties.

We need to get back to that setup.

Voidseeker on September 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I really don’t think prosperity is the right comparison table.

What does that mean, really?

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

“human trash”? yikes. :)

on a serious note, though, I think you’d have a SEA CHANGE politically by eliminating many governmetn jobs.

I read somewhere that demographically, blacks and women are way overrepresented in federal govt jobs.

if you somehow had millions of blacks move from govt jobs to private jobs, I’d have to think you would have a burgeoning black fiscal conservative class in there somewhere, with more blacks running (and therefore voting) republican, a la 2 possible black republican senators in 2010, michael williams in texas, ryan frazier in colorado, et.c

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM

Wait, there is a group of people that like that kind of voice? Who?

Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 1:51 PM

i would guess rhode islanders would prefer it to listening to jeff sessions

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I really don’t think prosperity is the right comparison table.

What does that mean, really?

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM

imagine my surprise that you would think “government welfare programs” as more important to personal security than “economic wealth”

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

how does government provide ANY of those 3. the first 2 equated with government are laughable!

battleoflepanto1571 on September 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM

The Russians under the old Soviet Union said it best:
“They pretend to pay us, we pretend to work.”

GarandFan on September 18, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

They could just go to work for ACORN.

farright on September 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Why Government Can’t Run a Business

The Obama administration is bent on becoming a major player in — if not taking over entirely — America’s health-care, automobile and banking industries. Before that happens, it might be a good idea to look at the government’s track record in running economic enterprises. It is terrible.

In 1913, for instance, thinking it was being overcharged by the steel companies for armor plate for warships, the federal government decided to build its own plant. It estimated that a plant with a 10,000-ton annual capacity could produce armor plate for only 70% of what the steel companies charged.

When the plant was finally finished, however — three years after World War I had ended — it was millions over budget and able to produce armor plate only at twice what the steel companies charged. It produced one batch and then shut down, never to reopen.

Or take Medicare. Other than the source of its premiums, Medicare is no different, economically, than a regular health-insurance company. But unlike, say, UnitedHealthcare, it is a bureaucracy-beclotted nightmare, riven with waste and fraud. Last year the Government Accountability Office estimated that no less than one-third of all Medicare disbursements for durable medical equipment, such as wheelchairs and hospital beds, were improper or fraudulent. Medicare was so lax in its oversight that it was approving orthopedic shoes for amputees.

These examples are not aberrations; they are typical of how governments run enterprises. There are a number of reasons why this is inherently so. Among them are:

- more -

MB4 on September 18, 2009 at 2:01 PM

They could just go to work for ACORN.

farright on September 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Didn’t you hear? 40% of ACORN is government (spending).

Count to 10 on September 18, 2009 at 2:02 PM

What does that mean, really?

Have you never taken an economics class? Questions like that betray a great deal of fundamental ignorance about the most fundamental issues that any relatively well-educated adult should have a handle on by the time they venture out into the big bad world.

I mean…come on.

Bob's Kid on September 18, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Good points in the video, but the thing that came to mind while watching the comparisons was the simple fact that the Left thinks our prosperity is an injustice and needs to be reduced – that is the reason behind pushing for more taxes and regulation. They actually think the America has “more than it deserves” and so these charts and studies actually affirm their thinking.

This is why the right and the left are at odds here; the things that we enjoy and seek to expand (freedom, prosperity, security) the left seeks to reduce. These are, I believe, “irreconcilable differences” that somehow must be addressed, if we can.

Fallen Sparrow on September 18, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Voidseeker on September 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM

The only govt should do, are those things that can’t be done by the free market. And that list is very, very, small.

MarkTheGreat on September 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Please just go fluff your unicorn.

kirkill on September 18, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

But the lack of money can make you miserable.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

None of which can be provided by govt.

MarkTheGreat on September 18, 2009 at 2:06 PM

But Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Frank, Dodd and all of the libs are SO MUCH SMARTER than the old tired failed ideas of the past. Like those of BEN FRANKLIN! We need to put these pieces of trash out on their asses.

marklmail on September 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Anne,

Are you honestly trying to claim that we would be better off with fewer things? If so, which ones should we as a country give up?

MarkTheGreat on September 18, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer right. Love of God, country & flag, support for our military, and being a REAL man, which includes the protection of women, children & the weak, and includes protection of our most innocent citizens, the unborn ones. Finally, the protection of those rights others mean to take from us.

Jeff from WI on September 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM

FallenSparrow makes a very good point. We capitalists want to “grow the pie” and believe that each person can maximize her potential through work and seek happiness in her own way, while the progressives want us all to be uniform in our ideas, efforts, and outcomes, and ideally to be so with everyone in the whole world. It’s pretty frightening, actually.

zenscreamer on September 18, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Somewhat O/T,but just got this letter.

Michael Steele,

OPEN LETTER TO MICHAEL STEELE AND THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL COMMITTEE
On the first page of your website you have a section that says something
to the effect, “tell me what you think.” OK, here it is. How much longer
do “we the people” have to sit out here and wait for you to do something?
Where is your voice? Where is your spine? Why does a talk show
host/entertainer have to do your job? Where is the leadership of the
Republican Party in Congress?

If the United States of America survives past 2009 it will certainly not
be because the RNC and the congressional leadership stood firm and held
news conferences and produced YouTube videos, to keep us, the citizenry
informed. What a sad state of affairs when the media controls what we
get to hear from you, the elected officials. Are you fearful of what they
will call you? Have you no power? Do they own you?
The grassroots have been fighting since April to voice our opposition to
what is happening in our government. We have held tea parties, town
halls, rants in public places, we have all become proficient on face
book, twitter, blogs, etc. We stay up most nights trying to Google
information, watch Glen Beck, read and re-read our constitution. We have
been like blind people trying to put a puzzle together and now that we
are succeeding in seeing what is being done to us, it’s a frightening
thing. I can only speak for myself but there have been times in the last
six months that I have to pinch myself and ask if I am still in my
country.

We have spent time calling, writing, emailing, petitioning our elected
officials and we are called un-American, terrorists, mobs, dangerous,
right-wing extremists, kooks, etc. I don’t hear national voices calling
the main stream media to task for attacking us. I have only heard of one
congressman who is going to the Library of Congress before the session
begins to look up information on “redressing of grievances”. Why hasn’t
the entire Republican congress called a meeting to ask the same thing?

We begged the Republicans to stop cap and trade and they did not. I can’t
believe that any thinking person would even be talking about trying to
pass something as heinous as HR 3200. When I hear a Republican,
especially McCain talk about tweaking the bill and then passing it, I
want to scream! What could these people be thinking. The only thing that
could help this bill is for it to be flushed!

Do you watch television? Do you watch Fox News? Do you watch Glen Beck?
I’m appalled that there has not been a movement from the Republican Party
to
impeach this man who is living in our White House. Don’t even try to tell
me that we can’t do that. We must impeach him. Are you aware that Van
Jones, the green job czar, whose organization, the Apollo Alliance wrote
the stimulus bill and is receiving tax dollars to dismantle our country?
Van Jones is a self-avowed communist! Those are his words. This man is an
advisor to the President? How can that happen? How can any elected
official stand by and let this happen? Who is representing us?

What about Cass Sunstein? This man is a fascist nut. Yes, I did say
fascist. I’m sick of not being able to speak truths because we’re fearful
of not being politically correct. Guess what? We are out of the p.c.
closet. Sunstein is a proponent of the ‘nudge’ philosophy – Nudge:
Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness. Our decisions,
our health, our wealth and our happiness. No thank you. This man thinks
animals should have the right to take people to court??? This is not a
fairy tale.

Now we hear that our Internet may be taken from us through legislation.
SB 773. Will this be carried out through martial law? I have not heard one
Republican official say that they are not going to allow this to happen.

Are all the conspiracy theorists correct when they say that the
Republicans are just as instrumental in destroying our country as the
liberal fascist arm of the Democratic Party are?

The President is destroying the United States of America. If a Russian
Professor can see it, and write articles about it, why can’t you? What do
we need to do to start the impeachment process? I could list numerous
other things that he has done that I believe are in direct opposition to
our constitution but I don’t have the time or the space. You could
contact Glen Beck, he will fill you in.

I am going to put this letter on Face book, Twitter, blogs; I’m going to
email it to every address I can get my hands on. I will send it as a
press release to every media outlet I can think of and who knows, maybe
one or two will print it. I’m going to send it to talk shows and I’m also
going to email it to you. I certainly hope I receive an answer and if I
do, I will also send that out to all the above mentioned sites.

Thank you for your time and I pray that God will Bless America.
Sincerely,

Former Republican Nation Committee Member
George C Battee
4009 Chatham Rd.
Ellicott City Md. 21042

katy the mean old lady on September 18, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I know this has to be coming but Rush is playing Mrs. Obama health care pitch. Speaker Pelosi gave her some delivery tips apparently. Dramatically touching. /

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Anne,

If providing prosperity for it’s citizens is not a good goal for govt. What should the goal be?

MarkTheGreat on September 18, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

But those are the jobs of family and church not government. Maybe that is the problem with liberals they want the government to do the job of their family life and their church life.

Becoming a better rounded person will fill those needs.

petunia on September 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Let’s see how many Thomas Jefferson quotes I can apply to this:

Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.

I own that I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

I think you get the idea. Bring back Jeffersonian principles to government!

Spc Steve on September 18, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I think Anne has been allowed on this site for so long because she keeps the comments rolling and the clicks up. The banhammer will probably never fall on her…

SnowSun on September 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.
What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Ann, darling, are you kidding? I’ve been poor and I’ve been rich, and I ain’t going back to poor.

If your goals boil down to “feeling useful, being productive, and meeting basics”, baby, your bar’s set way too low.

Doing those without money isn’t much fun.

But what’s best about having money is that now my women are prettier and their nag features are usually disengaged.

TXUS on September 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Government is merely a vehicle for people afflicted with PSPD (power seeking personality disorder, a common mental illness). Organized crime is another vehicle – actually, organized crime is just a shadow government on a neighborhood scale.

The U.S. Constitution is the only organizing document in the history of the world that seeks to rein in PSPD sufferers instead of enabling them. Someday, we need to return it to its proper place in America. Probably won’t happen as long as Mr. Obama has any say in the matter.

lonesomecharlie on September 18, 2009 at 2:34 PM

SnowSun on September 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM

There’s no reason to ban her and it’s interesting to note that she comments over at HuffPo. She drives them nuts also.

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM

No one should look to the Govt for prosperity. Perhaps someone needs a refresher. Our Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of Happiness (They originally wanted Property but changed it – you know why) are the goals of the govt.

Which will give you more satisfaction in life.

1) Work hard, earn your reward, and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

2) Wait for your handout from the govt.

People that have money, and don’t need it, still choose to work. Why? Personal satisfaction and a sense of purpose rank up top.

Depend on the govt and you are merely slaves. Why is this so hard to understand for some people?

DWB on September 18, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

You have no right to tell people what does or should make them happy. You have no idea what’s relevant to others.

You’re overstepping here. It’s the worst kind of leftist arrogance – that they know better how to take care of you than you do.

Hands off my happiness.

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Bishop on September 18, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Is this sarcasm? I can’t tell.

Thune on September 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Thune on September 18, 2009 at 2:45 PM

You can bet money on it.

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Empirical evidence? Empirical evidence?! Liberals don’t need any stinkin’empirical evidence!

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Of course you are right since there are no tests for ignorance or competence.

OT – Dan Mitchell rocks.

SnowSun on September 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM

If money doesn’t really make people happier then why redistribute my money.

rjoco1 on September 18, 2009 at 3:23 PM

SnowSun on September 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Since Ann and I are probably in the same age bracket I am going with annoying. Don’t think I don’t understand, I have a “Do Not Respond” list to keep from getting banned.

Cindy Munford on September 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

That is your foolish touchy-feely side.

I WANT to make more money. That way I can decide on who to give it to and be touchy-feely.

Get off the feelings so much and think.

You have no right to use the government to steal other peoples’ money to force them to subsidize bad behavior.

Sapwolf on September 18, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Ann’s problem is that she is a socialist.

She believes it is more important to FEEL GOOD than to BE GOOD.

She misinterprets these two things.

She does not trust any of you with your own money.

Sapwolf on September 18, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Hands off my happiness.

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM

And ANNinCA has no idea how terribly insulting her words are to many of us on HA.

AnninCA is possibly the MOST arrogant poster on HA and she doesn’t even know it.

Elitist to the core.

Sapwolf on September 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM

My sister is just like AnninCA.

Her way of happiness is the only way and f88k everybody else who pursues happiness their own way.

Sapwolf on September 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Honestly, here’s where I veer left. Money really doesn’t make people happy.

What’s relevant is feeling useful, being respected, and meeting basics.

AnninCA on September 18, 2009 at 1:55 PM

honesty, not having any money really doesn’t make people happy ten-fold.

what’s relevant in being useful while earning respect and exceeding the basics.

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM

what’s relevant is

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 4:50 PM

TXUS on September 18, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Dude, SSSHHHHHHHHH. The first rule in Men’s club is nobody talks about Men’s club.

Blacksmith8 on September 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM

All governments start as benign beneficial parasites and end up malignant tumors. During the transition trolls make excuses why this “one” last government program is necessary.
Sappy violins are usually playing in the background while they recount personal tales of woe that they have heard or experienced as they attempt to guilt trip you into serfdom.

The modern Borg at work.

patrick neid on September 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM

honestly (damn)

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Becoming a better rounded person will fill those needs.

petunia on September 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Look at how many people flocked to Obama because they “want to be part of something bigger than themselves”. Fine, that’s a basic human emotion, but “big government” is probably the worst way to scratch that itch. Join a club, get a hobby, volunteer at a charity, join (or start) a religious group. To me, it’s not important what you do to satisfy that emotion, the most important thing is that I be left out of it.

venividivici on September 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Most days, looking at Leftist “arguments”, I conclude that their entire ideology is an attempt to revert back to the time in Western history before empiricism became the dominant mode of intellectual discourse. They are worse than the Scholastics ever were.

venividivici on September 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM

they come, they see, they tax it. liberals.

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM

exactly, that is why consensus is algores’ savior.

ndanielson on September 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM