Obama’s solution on illegals and health care? Amnesty; Update: Video added

posted at 9:29 am on September 18, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The Washington Times reports that Barack Obama has finally concluded that Joe Wilson was right, and that ObamaCare presents a big problem in handling illegal immigrants.  Fortunately, the White House has found a solution to the problem.  No, they’re not going to beef up enforcement or require identification before receiving subsidies and services.  They’re just going to offer amnesty so that no one’s illegal anymore:

President Obama said this week that his health care plan won’t cover illegal immigrants, but argued that’s all the more reason to legalize them and ensure they eventually do get coverage.

He also staked out a position that anyone in the country legally should be covered – a major break with the 1996 welfare reform bill, which limited most federal public assistance programs only to citizens and longtime immigrants.

“Even though I do not believe we can extend coverage to those who are here illegally, I also don’t simply believe we can simply ignore the fact that our immigration system is broken,” Mr. Obama said Wednesday evening in a speech to the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute. “That’s why I strongly support making sure folks who are here legally have access to affordable, quality health insurance under this plan, just like everybody else.

Mr. Obama added, “If anything, this debate underscores the necessity of passing comprehensive immigration reform and resolving the issue of 12 million undocumented people living and working in this country once and for all.”

Republicans said that amounts to an amnesty, calling it a backdoor effort to make sure current illegal immigrants get health care.

In other words, not only should everyone pay for Americans to get health care, we should pay for health care for those who came here illegally.  That’s going to be a winning argument in 2010, especially in Blue Dog districts!  We’re going to bust the budget and infringe on your personal choices, and we’re going to make you pay for insurance for illegal immigrants!

If a Republican had run an ad making those charges in 2008, the media would have called it a “smear”.  If comedians used it in their act, it would have been a joke about GOP paranoia.  The joke, unfortunately, is on those who voted for the Blue Dogs because of their supposed conservatism, and on those who voted for Obama because of his supposed centrism.

Update: Here’s the video:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I work with all illegals every day of the week (and what unbelievable stories I could tell). I tried calling ICE once, but they were extremely rude and said I would have to have proof that they were illegal…-They take our jobs, so we can’t support our families, and to add insult to injury,we then have to pay for their healthcare in taxes (along with education and social services, not to mention the untold amount of money we pay for the crimes some of them commit- and some of those cannot be measured in dollars). How much more are we supposed to take? The government just keeps pushing and pushing, and they wonder why we are so angry? Oh – btw – Most of the illegals I work with go home to Mexico for Christmas – and come back afterwards – so what does that tell you about our borders?

texasaggie on September 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Amnesty, then they’ll all be eligible…

NOW it all makes sense!

Hey 53%: thanks for the “change!”

Khun Joe on September 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Barking mad.

Mason on September 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Anyone see Michelle Obama in her “bondage belt” because she has been punished with 2 kids?

The article is pathetic.

Daggett on September 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Wait a minute…

if I pose as an illegal, I won’t have to buy insurance and can skip the $3800 “fine”? And dodge withholding?

Lo me gusta…

Chris_Balsz on September 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM

You know what also is unacceptable? Patient dumping! Bet that didn’t come up during the gal’s chat about Obamacare.

highhopes on September 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Hey, before all she could manage was a cab crosstown.
Now undesirables might end up in Kandahar!
Fist-bumping patient dumping!

Chris_Balsz on September 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Drudge headline’s Michelle Obama’s Bondage Belt

Michelle Obama said women are being “crushed by the current structure of our health care” because they often are responsible for taking care of family illnesses, arranging checkups and monitoring follow-up care.

maverick muse on September 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Daggett on September 18, 2009 at 5:18 PM

lol…For the first time in my adult life, I am proud to wear a bondage belt for my kids and me

maverick muse on September 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Drudge headline’s Michelle Obama’s Bondage Belt

maverick muse on September 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Dear God in heaven, this is as bad as the cupcake skirt.

atheling on September 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM

It was only a matter of time. Of COURSE amnesty was the other shoe that had yet to be dropped. I’m sure one of they were planning on pushign amnesty as a way to redress the unfairness created by the GOP by blocking health care funds from illegals.

hawksruleva on September 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM

This is effing priceless. What do you call this? It’s not doubling down…is it tripling down? Quadruping?

This leftist nitwit is so completely out of his mind that I don’t think he can find his way back in.

November 2010 — See a U.S. President with no nuts. No, it’s not a woman…

Jaibones on September 18, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Sure Barry – that’s a real clever solution – have working taxpayers pay for illegals – definately the socialist way of doing things.

What a friggin’ Clouseau. . . .

karra on September 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM

This is exactly what O and his idiotic administration wants! Cram all this crap at once, overwhelm the system, spend until the printing press ink runs out and create the largest crisis so the majority of the American people will have to be on welfare to survive. if you become dependent of government then he can make you a part of his “Civilian security Force” then the constitution gets burned and Obama becomes our Dear Leader forever. CONNECT THE DOTS FOLKS! This is what the Dems want. Pelosi cries about the angry rhetoric and all it will take is for one crazy guy to do something so abhorrent that our country will fall into chaos and they’ll create a country a lot like the ones we are becoming friendly with. Russia, Venezuela, Cuba, Iran.. Oh my!

Atlanta Media Guy on September 18, 2009 at 6:35 PM

These people, are quite frankly insane. I read over at the PUMA blog that the guy thinks its payback for the Hispanic support of the Dem. Party, I actually think that theory makes sense…

Great Sage on September 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Lets see. We spanked Bush for amnesty. Nobody called me a racist for that.

Now, can I expect to spank Obama on amnesty and not be called a racist?

Rhetorical…of course.

BobMbx on September 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Great Sage on September 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Well ACORN is on its way out, so the Donks need another means to garner votes in 2010 and 2012, so they are going to give amnesty to the illegals for a new voting bloc.

atheling on September 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Great Sage on September 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM
———————————————————-

That’s true. The radical racist hispanic group that our new supreme court justice was a part of, La Raza (the Race), is demanding in many of the Texas town halls free health care.

Illegals was this passed because they believe they are entitled to it.

ms on September 18, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Great Sage on September 18, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Not New Jersey Hispanics! 24% of them think he’s the Anti-Christ!

FinallyRight on September 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM

As someone who lives in Los Angeles and sees the IMMENSE harm illegals do to the job market and security of this city on a DAILY basis I am MAD AS HELL to hear Obama talking this nonsense.

He usually enrages me as a matter of being but this is outrageous. Not only does this validate the illegal behavior of these 12 million (I’m guessing more like 20 million) people, it pretty much sounds the call for the hordes to storm the gates to get on board for the big win since they will only be illegals for a brief amount of time until the shamnesty passes.

This video will be the end of ObamaCare and the DNC and his presidency. MOST of the country isn’t going to be too ‘down’ to hear we are gonna just up and cover illegals and let ‘em all in.

Largely because to modify the Welfare Act like this means that they will ALL be eligible for food stamps and other programs other than just the ObamaCare since most of them aren’t exactly making a big amount of $$$. We are going broke faster than any country EVER)

MannyT-vA on September 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM

What a friggin’ Clouseau. . . .

karra on September 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Now, now his adorable wife has convinced me. President Obama has the best vision for the United States and we must all be civil and follow his lead lest we all be racists. When the President castigates a white law enforcement officer’s performance “inartfully” he is simply expanding the frontiers of hops consumption and hope….

//sanitized sven

sven10077 on September 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM

What a maroon! Eh…

Dhuka on September 18, 2009 at 7:07 PM

An insufferable ass is an insufferable ass, of course, of course,
And no one can talk sense to an insufferable ass of course
And especially, of course, if the insufferable ass is the famous Barack Obama.

Go right to the source and ask the insufferable ass.
He’ll give you the answer that deceivers will endorse.
He’s always on a dissemblers course.
Talk to Barack Obama.

Barack Obama just yakkity yaks a streak and wastes your time of day
Does any sane person even believe anymore a thing he has to say?

An insufferable ass is an insufferable ass, of course, of course,
And this one’ll talk in circles til his voice is hoarse.
You never heard of a talking insufferable ass?

Well listen to this.

He is Barack Obama.

Cheshire Cat on September 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I know I can’t wait for my entire neighborhood to fill with friendly non-English speaking neighbors. The neighborhood is looking a tad old and a street filled with bouncing low riders and that delightful polka type music will really spice up a boring neighborhood.

Jeff from WI on September 18, 2009 at 7:20 PM

texasaggie on September 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Its a disgrace, especially since we COULD send them all home and make sure they do not come back. Legal foreign workers (H1-B etc) take our jobs too and employers use them to drive down our wages.

We actually have FIVE guest worker programs in the US.

dogsoldier on September 18, 2009 at 7:26 PM

CJ: Bunch of RRRRRRRAAAAAAACCCCCIIIIISSSSSSTTTSSSS!

TheUnrepentantGeek on September 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Not New Jersey Hispanics! 24% of them think he’s the Anti-Christ!

FinallyRight on September 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Will you post CORRECT info no wonder they think we’re nut’s!

ONLY 8% NOT 24%!!!

We’ve been uncovering a remarkable level of anger toward Barack Obama in a lot of our recent polling so for New Jersey we decided to go a step further in determining how extreme some people’s feelings are about the President and asked respondents if they think he is the Anti-Christ.

8% said yes. 13% aren’t sure. Among Republicans 14% said yes and 15% weren’t sure.

xler8bmw on September 18, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Lets see. We spanked Bush for amnesty. Nobody called me a racist for that.

BobMbx on September 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Not true, you were called racist by Republicans McCain and Graham back then.

highhopes on September 18, 2009 at 7:32 PM

I called this a long time ago. He said way back that after Obamacare came amnesty. The reason Obamacare doesn’t go online until 2013 was so he could pass amnesty in the interim. That’s always been his plan and is the reason they had no problem with putting the “no illegals” in the bill after Wilson called Obama on it. Their won’t be any illegals when Obamacare kicks in..

Guardian on September 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM

My head is going to explode. So are we going to make certain crims legal now so crime goes down?

cadams on September 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Revolution is Coming to America!!

It could be either side that starts it, but the country is becoming more divided, not less. Politicians (both parties) receive corporate campaign donations. Well, corporations have board of directors who are foreigners so we actually have foreigners, via campaign contributions, deciding America’s political campaigns & future. Both sides are guilty.

I also read the underground book & it was great!! Read it & see how a small town (maybe your town) stands up to decade career politicians & Federal tyranny & start the 2nd American Revolution. I bought 2 for my friends. It changed my outlook on what is really happening in America.

This may be the only time in your life that you can ‘make your history & leave a legacy for your grandchildren’. Take a stand and step into the streets as the book shows!
(booksbyoliver.com)

ctcb05 on September 18, 2009 at 8:36 PM

The Dems have the votes in the House and Senate to jam an amnesty bill down Americans’ throat. Let’s see if they have the balls to bring this forth.

bayview on September 18, 2009 at 9:12 PM

So what I would like to know as my husband would & all the millions of others that came through the front door, can we sue—who so we sue? As My huisband filled out all the paper work , paid for it, did all the medical tests etc, Can we be re-imbursed? WTF

Ladywolfnl on September 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM

I’ve got a little resolving I’d like to do, too. I’d like to resolve the issue of all those dollars I owe on my student loans. It’s not even 12 million. We’ll just say they’re no longer outstanding and that resolves the issue of my student loans.
Anyone else have issues they’d like to resolve?

schafkopf on September 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Joe Wilson was right- Obama LIED about his healthcare plan & illegals… In an article on FoxNews today, Judge Andrew Napalitano*, a Constitutional expert says:

…The president was the editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review when he was in law school… and a member of the faculty of the University of Chicago Law School, where he taught constitutional law…From this we can conclude that he knows…
…The Constitution requires that the government treat all persons similarly situated in a similar manner. This is the essence of “Equal Protection,” which the Constitution requires of the states and the federal government.
…In a landmark ruling, that most lawyers know about, and that every professor of constitutional law knows about, called Plyler vs. Doe (1982), the Court ordered Texas to make the same education available to illegal immigrants as it does to citizens. In so doing, the Court held that: (a) the Constitution protects “persons” ; and (b) “persons” are citizens as well as strangers, people born here and people who end up here, people here lawfully and people here unlawfully; and (c) in the area of social services, whatever benefits the government makes available to the general public cannot be kept away from a class of persons based on their immigration status or that of their parents.
Now, back to Congressman Wilson and President Obama. Can anyone really suggest that the Harvard Law School-educated University of Chicago-employed professor of constitutional law did NOT know the law…

*author of The Constitution in Exile: How the Federal Government Has Seized Power by Rewriting the Supreme Law of the Land (2006) and Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws (2004)

NightmareOnKStreet on September 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM

I think we Moms need to make a sign like the GIs did for Kerry

Help us MEchelle, we iz burdened by our familiez health care!

ginaswo on September 19, 2009 at 6:38 AM

I love (not really) how these things are pronounced “dead” by the PTB and the RINOs and moderates and the Great Moderate Thinkers around the ‘net and on Fox News climb aboard and chatter the Dem’s talking point for them.

Then all of a sudden it comes back…then they’re stuck because they fell for it and won’t back down.

Can’t wait to see BOR’s reaction when the public option suddenly appears in print in the form of an enacted law. Actually, that’s the only entertaining thing I can look forward to when ObamaCare goes through.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 19, 2009 at 7:04 AM

Have you figured out what shuck and jive act is yet? Obama is a star performer.

I don’t think everything Obama does is about race.

tarpon on September 19, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Give amnesty to illegals, or you’re RACIST!

Cybergeezer on September 19, 2009 at 1:20 PM

lol,

Ed and Allah, everytime I see that particular photo I can hear him saying…

Hot cha, cha, cha, cha…

hawkdriver on September 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Bring it on. MF.

argos on September 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM

I believe he will get amnesty passed. That is a given. How do we stop the next 12-20 million from coming here? I still say send every one of the home and fix the borders!

jorb on September 20, 2009 at 9:36 AM