Video: Creigh Deeds gets very confused about taxes

posted at 5:25 pm on September 17, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Creigh Deeds came out of nowhere to win the Democratic nomination for governor in Virginia — and he’s heading back to nowhere if he continues to give answers like this. Deeds starts off by saying, “I have no plans to raise taxes,” but then says the opposite when it comes to raising money for transportation. When reporters try to square that statement with his claim in the debate that he would not raise taxes, Deeds then says that pledge only applied to general fund taxes, which led to the next question as to whether Deeds realized that gas taxes go into the general fund and are not earmarked for transportation.  That’s when Deeds snaps at the reporter, referring to her as “young lady” when scolding her — and realizes his mistake a moment too late:

DEEDS: I think I’ve made myself clear, young lady.

REPORTER: I’m sorry, I’m not trying to be mean — I’m just trying to understand.

So are Virginia taxpayers, for that matter.  Deeds made a pretty categorical statement in the debate against raising taxes, and then reversed himself on transportation.  It’s easy to understand; Deeds flip-flopped, and got caught.

Jim Geraghty calls it “Kerryesque,” which may be a bit unfair … to John Kerry.  After all, his convoluted statement actually did reflect Congressional reality; it was Kerry’s inability to understand how it sounded outside the Beltway that sunk him.  Jim also notes that Deeds’ harping on his opponent’s 20-year-old college thesis has worn out its welcome, too:

Deeds, however, came back to the thesis several times. When he did so near the end of the debate, groans came from some in the crowd of about 500 northern Virginia business leaders.

Even the reporters are groaning in this clip.  By the time November rolls around, no one will be listening.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Good Lord, I can’t believe this man. If my state actually elects him, I don’t think there will be any hope left for it. I’ve never seen people so angry and upset over politics in my part of the state as it is at this time. If indeed he wins, I can assure you ACORN will have something to do with it.

roopster217 on September 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM

McDonnell should run an ad with that “young lady” comment and ask Virginians, “who has a problem with women?”

Sgt. Hartman on September 17, 2009 at 8:42 PM

If Makaka (or however you would spell that) could take down a great Senator. “Young Lady” should take down a nobody. Although, I’m sure the “young lady” part will not be played much at all.

roopster217 on September 17, 2009 at 8:56 PM

Deeds also made the statement that northern Virginia is a cash cow.

jintrabar on September 17, 2009 at 7:33 PM

He said that, did he?
Good luck with votes from Northern Virginia.

nyx on September 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Can we have Ken Cuccinelli for governor?

Mangy Scot on September 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM

He’s obviously an honors graduate of the “Reid School of Taxing”.

BobMbx on September 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Unbelievably, he appears to be a better candidate for governor than what we have for the current governor in Michigan. She doesn’t understand taxes either!

flytier on September 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Anyone know how else government raises (additional) money other than by eventual (increased) taxation?

Government services fundraisers, may be? Mr. Deeds’s voters, I’m sure, will donate very generously…

ConScribe on September 17, 2009 at 9:48 PM

i feel sorry for creigh because he started this trip as a very smart, savvy country politician (& sometimes slightly slippery as politicians can often be).

then he ran smack into the groundswell against his standard bearer (that would old bambi) & the groundswell against his own party (that would be Virginia’s part-time governor & full time DNC chair).

At this point, creigh deeds needs to be as slippery, slimy & quick on the shifting sand as the man he beat in the primary, Terry McAuliffe. and he just aint.

kelley in virginia on September 17, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Creigh, whatever pot the funds go into, whatever path they take to wind up building roads, they all come out of *my* general fund.

raybury on September 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Man, you got to leave the obfuscation to the pro’s or get a telly prompter!

chickasaw42 on September 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM

If this turd wins, I will be leaving the state. Have 10 acres in Texas that I have had my eyes on and just have been looking for an excuse.

donkichi on September 18, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Will he carry Fairfax County?

/sarc off

platypus on September 18, 2009 at 12:50 AM

But Loyal Democrats will vote for him anyway.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM

“Loyal Democrats will vote for him anyway”

There is apparently a diminishing number of those. They seem to be switching to independent in droves.

crosspatch on September 18, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Actually all this guy is-is Obama without the gift of oratory.

MaiDee on September 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM

I’m in Richmond, and I know quite well who Mr. Deeds is.

Since he never had my vote to begin with, he sure as he@# doesn’t have it now.

And since Mr. McDonnell has daughters, one of whom followed him into the military, I think the “women in a burkha” statement by the democrats is grasping at straws. Which to me smacks heavily of desperation.

Sarah2053 on September 18, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Driving to work in Northern VA, for many weeks I would see signs for different candidates for Governor. On election day, driving past the elementary school that serves as the voting center, I noticed that signs were out stating that they vote was that day. As I feel it my duty to vote, I went in and got my ballot and after staring at it for a few seconds, the poll worker asked if there was anything wrong. “It doesn’t have the party listed,” I said. “This is the democratic primary,” was her answer.

Well, since out of all the signs and banners and junk mail we had been receiving for weeks, I had never seen or heard anything from this Deeds guy, (and being the right-wing conservative that I am) I voted for him.

Hahahahaha

What a complete moron. He was making me dizzy the way he was trying to convolute the truth because he couldn’t say what he really means. I couldn’t watch the whole thing, I was so embarrassed for/by him.

Hahahahaha!