White House throws Carter under the bus on race comments

posted at 5:45 pm on September 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

Not the first time Jimbo’s caused The One some grief at an inopportune moment. Remember when he decided to go hug it out with Hamas just as the general election campaign was kicking off last year?

“The president does not believe that — that the criticism comes based on the color of his skin,” Gibbs said. “We understand that people have disagreements with some of the decisions that we’ve made and some of the extraordinary actions that had to be undertaken by this administration and previous administrations to stabilize our financial system, to ensure viability of our domestic auto industry.”…

Gibbs was asked by reporters why this is not a “teachable moment” on race similar to the one that Mr. Obama identified following the Cambridge police flap.

“Obviously, the president has, and has always had, great concerns about race relations in this country,” he replied. “He’s talked about them in speeches. He’s talked about them throughout his career in politics; believes we’ve made great strides, and obviously we’ve got work to do. But I — I don’t — I’m not sure I see this — this large national conversation going on right now.”

Rahm Emanuel and White House communications director Anita Dunn were also careful to steer WaPo away from the race angle in today’s story about conservative attacks. My operating theory has been that they’re playing good cop/bad cop with the left on this, keeping their hands clean while their fellow travelers race-bait anyone who so much as looks at The One cross-eyed, but I’m coming around to the idea that it’s gotten so out of hand that they may now see it as a genuine liability. If the idea was to bully Americans into backing ObamaCare by implying it’s racist to do otherwise, they’ve failed epically. Worse yet for his reelection prospects, if centrist Obama voters like Ann Althouse are starting to recoil in disgust at the sort of racial demagoguery that’s forever being used by O apologists then the White House has big, big problems ahead in 2012:

Lots of people who voted for Obama believed that his election would reflect the extent to which Americans had moved beyond racism. That was part of why some people voted for him. Little did we realize that it would turn every criticism of the President into an occasion to make an accusation of racism. Racism is revolting, but so is the notion that we aren’t allowed to criticize a President!

Like I said yesterday, so much for the “post-racial presidency.” Althouse wants a “solid, sound rebuke” of Carter’s garbage, which is very good advice ahead of The One’s media blitz on Sunday. He’s bound to get a question about race — several of them, probably — and I’m afraid the standard Obama above-the-fray equivocation (“well, both sides have behaved badly”) isn’t going to cut it this time. We’ve got a former president here sinking to the filthiest depths of racial McCarthyism, perfectly in keeping with the sort of venom spat by congressional Democrats over the past two months or so. You’ve been given a pass long enough, champ. Time to call off the dogs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Too bad and too late. You and your party can’t get this one back into the bottle. My guess is that Jesse and Al will be speaking out soon as well……. and then ladies and gentlemen we have the next topic for next fall. Dems lose the racism argument, a huge majority knows it and it’s loudmouths that promote the theory are full of crap.
Popcorn ready in 5, 4, 3, 2…..

JeffinOrlando on September 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Time to call off the dogs.

Hold off on good advice like that until his approval ratings are in the 30′s, kay.

RushBaby on September 16, 2009 at 7:37 PM

lol…. What so Obama is playing games by stating the obvious? The White House statement was clear. The baiters on both sides will continue to do what they do. I don’t buy the good cop bad cop BS anymore than I think (per Ed’s earlier post) that there is an extremist center in the our political spectrum. Wilson did something rude and apologized… the President accepted it. They are now coming across as the only adults in the schoolyard.

lexhamfox on September 16, 2009 at 7:43 PM

His ancestors were here during the Confederacy,
mine were not. White guilt is disgusting!

HellCat on September 16, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Me is beginning to suspect a “Sister Souljah Moment” setup.

MB4 on September 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I was wondering about this also until I started to see a full frontal assault by the media,political pundits,and congressional leaders all towing the same “dissent is racist” mantra.

Obama has yet to castigate anyone for this race hustling.
Now that several elected officials have gone this route,he can’t just avoid it as “media and activists”.
These are elected officials and the President is routinely asked his opinions concerning how the constituents under him are acting.

Obama will have to embarrass and throw a lot of people under the bus for this “sister souljah moment”.

I suspect that no matter how much the Obama White House denounces this rhetoric the MSM and liberals in general will say “he has to say this,but it is not what he believes” with a wink and continue this bogus “dissent is racist” line to do their best to influence independents.

Baxter Greene on September 16, 2009 at 7:45 PM

They shout “Racist!” I shout, “I win the argument.”

I know I hold no animosity in my heart for people whose heritage is different from mine.

My only conclusion can be that you have run out of arguments and I win. So in a way it is a good thing to be called a racist.

petunia on September 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM

I don’t want to hear this from Gibbs—-I want to hear this from the President! Step up Obama, and knock this crap off. Either YOU say this is BS, or you’re still condoning this by letting your cronies get away with this disgusting display that’s an embarrassment to your office.

Rovin on September 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM

This whole “dissent is racist” was clearly started by, and encouraged by, Obama. The majority of Americans can see it. We don’t like being called racists when we disagree with policies we would disagree with even if the POTUS were white. This is clearly a losing strategy by Obama and the DNC, yet they still don’t get it.

Keep it up, guys. You are making me more likely to never vote for anyone with a (D) after their name again.

MeAlice on September 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Jimmy Carter is totally convinced that he is a more moral than anyone other person. He may be right. In Georia we always remember that he is from a small community where the Baptist Church oligarchy is required to be treated as the only standard of absolute virtue. He was right in the 1960s about de-segregation as were many others. But that was 40 years ago and he is like a civil war reinactor about heroic past days. President Obama does not see himself as a Black man, but as a half black and half white post-racial man that won enough white votes to WIN the Presidency. I suspect that Carter joined the fray due to panic among the Environmental-Industrial Complex (Carter is one)that fears losing the multi-billion dollar scams from Cap and Trade Tax Earmarks, if Obama is not propped up fast. Their only weapon was painting Wilson as KKK to recreate the white men’s needs to publicly show favor to black men to prove their nonracial bona fides. It is not working this time because by electing President Obama, the burden of proof was shifted. Thank you for that President Obama. Now lets get back to governing a free people who own private property, and quit this stupid push to make everbody into a socialist serf.

jimw on September 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Althouse may be feeling just a little ticked off that her vote, to show the world just how inclusive and post-racial a white person she was, is now backfiring.

That she is now feeling belatedly betrayed makes sense to me.

Better to never trust, much less vote, for an Alinsky-ite.

Vote in haste, repent in leisure.

marybel on September 16, 2009 at 9:23 PM

OK – enough of the race card. The left can’t come up with any credible intelligent arguments so they scream RACE! RACE! RACE! Keep it up, it is just weakening your voice!!

whatzit2u on September 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM

This may sound a bit…”pragmatic”…but you know it’s gonna be a LONG time before another black president is elected in the US. It’s absolutely unacceptable that critics of a sitting president be constantly assaulted with accusations of racism.

Rush Limbaugh was, once again, proven right by the far left in this country. He predicted this would happen. OK lefties, satisfied now?

disa on September 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Was it an integrated bus?

chickasaw42 on September 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM

The “Deal” is broken
Barack is not Post-Racial.
Voters have been had.

Haiku Guy on September 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM

I am so damned disgusted with the racist crap I don’t know what to say. It just makes me angry when minorities are used and abused this way by people with power to achieve their despicable ends. Don’t forget, Carter blamed his miserable failure of a presidency on the people of the US. We were the problem, not him.

elclynn on September 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Jimmy Carter stoking the fires of animus

Thank you Jimmuh for the gift that keeps on giving

Too late to spin him around and point him towards the clothes closet. Someone dusted him off and set him loose on the media. Wonder who?

entagor on September 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM

I’ve got a teachable moment for you Jimmy-Boy:

Please exit the spotlight. In your finest hour as President, you were incompetent in the extreme.

Your Habitat-legacy building project, to try to save face after a failed presidency, doesn’t change the fact that you were, and continue to be, Irrelevant.

Go home already, Peanut Puss.

Please…

realitycheck on September 16, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Realitycheck, please do not think of the Habitat for Humanity as this clown’s finest hour. I live south of Jacksonville, Florida, and from what I’ve read, most of those “Habitats” are falling apart…What else would you expect from something outside of the laws of supply and demand?…

adamsmith on September 17, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Nice Hendrix line. One of the best musicians of all time.

BadgerHawk on September 17, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Um… DUH!!

All you had to do was pay attention during the campaign! Bill Clinton, the so-called “first black President,” was called racist when he called Obama a fairy tale (or something. Don’t remember exactly what it was).

If Bill Freakin’ Clinton was called RAAAAAAAACIST, then what the heck did you expect when the going got tough???

crazy_legs on September 17, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Little did we realize? Little did we realize?!? I just have to say that I feel no heartache for the naive people who voted for Obama to ‘prove’ they weren’t racist (which to me seems to fit the definition of racist…) and are now feeling betrayed. I mean, you’re only post-racial when you can evaluate someone without considering their race. I wish our people would grow up. We are very naive if we let anyone, anyone rekindle any type of hatred or suspicion of our fellow countrymen for their political or monetary gain.

j_galt on September 17, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Gibbs said “But I — I don’t — I’m not sure I see this — this large national conversation going on right now.”

Why is the Gibber using lines from Sargeant Shultz?
‘I see nothing, I know nothing…’

Blacksmith8 on September 17, 2009 at 11:05 AM

excuses, excuses, excuses. That sums up this racism charge in a nutshell. Either you perform and deliver the right mail, or you don’t. Jackasses like Jimmy Carter are failures, and he insists on continuing to demonstrate it.

This is just another example of how stupid carter truly is. Thanks to his dismal performance in the late 70′s, we were not tortured with another liberal president for 28 years. It looks like Obama may break that record by at least a decade.

saiga on September 17, 2009 at 11:09 AM

I don’t know. I think they ought to just keep crying “racist!” everytime anyone opposes Obama’s polices. The more they needlessly say it, the less power or meaning that word holds. Sort of like “far out” in the 70′s or “cool” or “snap”. The word itself is losing it’s punch. And as long as we know our intentions truly aren’t racially motivated when questioning what we see and hear is going on, we’re good. As long as I know my true feelings about people (that would be love and respect for ALL people–as God demands) then you can call me whatever you want and do it frequently, please. I know better and that is all that matters. Jimmy Carter, you are a fool. And I’m praying for you.

Driefromseattle on September 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Baloney. Jimmy Earl is out doing exactly what the White House wants him to do – contribute to the level of chaos to keep attention off of Obama’s rapidly progressing coup.

Dave R. on September 17, 2009 at 3:33 PM