Video: Hey, let’s give kids “Miranda warnings” about not having to say the pledge of allegiance

posted at 6:17 pm on September 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

An ACLU-infused palate cleanser via Breitbart. As goofy as this sounds, the logic of the Miranda decision does lend itself to the schoolroom — sort of. The reason the Warren Court forced cops to tell suspects that they had a right not to talk is because, supposedly, the coercion inherent in being incommunicado in police custody is so overwhelming that most people simply wouldn’t have the stones to assert their rights if they weren’t reminded of them. Kids face a coercive environment too, albeit in different ways, but coercive enough to warrant a formal warning that they don’t have to say the pledge?

“The Pledge of Allegiance creates a constitutional problem. You have to tell students they can opt out,” the Rev. Barry Lynn, executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, told FOX News.

New Mexico dealt with this question last month when its education secretary upheld that students are permitted to opt out of the Pledge, but rejected an ACLU-backed amendment that would require schools to inform parents and students that they have the option.

In Florida, schools have tried to resolve uncertainty by announcing a new policy — students don’t have to participate, as long as they have a letter from Mom and Dad.

Talking to a cop might lead to lethal injection. Talking to the flag might lead to — what? Patriotism? Laryngitis? Exit question: Does a guy who runs a group devoted to separation of church and state really want to argue that coercion in public schoolrooms can be cured by a reading of one’s rights? I can think of something else students typically recite in the mornings which social cons would be only too happy to adapt that reasoning to.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It is a tricky, and GREAT issue to debate, because it strikes to the core of our freedom.

Yet, I suppose I would put it up to a school-district-by-school-district vote.

After all, we teachers are deriving our in loco parentis status from consent of the “parentitses.”

That way at least you could have a local debate.

No, I do not think it should be a federal thing.

But I also will say that any vote to not require or to actually reject the Pledge should be public.

cane_loader on September 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM

lovingmyUSA on September 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM

is it in our nation’s best interest to inculcate a small amount of pledging into their lives,

cane_loader on September 16, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Do you know what pledging is? It’s not a salute of any kind.

exception on September 16, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Drop these kids off in Pakistan or Mexico or some other God-forsaken country for a few months and see how much prodding it takes for them to say the Pledge when they come back.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 17, 2009 at 12:27 AM

“The fifth day their sports coach, who was their same color, visited me”

cane_loader
———————————–

Kindly explain what has this to do with the rest of your story.

skylark on September 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM

ACLU-backed amendment that would require schools to inform parents

A terrible precedent! Next thing you know they’ll want parents to be informed about their child’s pregnancy.

chickasaw42 on September 17, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Pledge was a socialist plot to promote national unity in the early 1900′s by Francis Belamy.

He is an admitted socialist.

Getting rid of the pledge would be good progress.

Spathi on September 17, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Responding to Skylark:

cane_loader said above:

“The fifth day their sports coach, who was their same color, visited me”

cane_loader
———————————–

Kindly explain what has this to do with the rest of your story.

skylark on September 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM
———————

skylark,

yes, now I see that I wasn’t clear. what i was trying to say in a roundabout way was that the kids creating the “pledge of allegiance” disturbance were black.

and so was their coach.

and the whole school was almost continuously disrupted by crazy scenes of assault and arrest, almost 100% by and of the black students. (some black kids taken out of my classroom in handcuffs mid-lecture).

and the black coach was trying to get me to rescind my complaint in the interest of sports because these kids were fast runners.

that’s the long and short of it – no racism involved – just the facts.

cane_loader on September 17, 2009 at 4:16 AM

Talking to the flag might lead to — what? Patriotism?

Seems to me kids today could use a little patriotism in their lives. Let them know they have a stake in this country. That it is their country and they can make it better or worse. Why is it that only immigrants can have pride in their countries without feeling guilty?

Moonie on September 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Sure, you could advise my kids that they could choose to opt out. Then they’ll come home and get a lesson on the truth. My lesson will be delivered in front of my house while gazing on Old Glory.

I’ve got a message for the ACLU: Go stuff yourself!

FREEDOM!

Blacksmith8 on September 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Why would a group like the ACLU who supports N.A.M.B.L.A. care what kids do?

FontanaConservative on September 16, 2009 at 6:34 PM

No thank you. I didn’t need the reminder. I get to brush my teeth again. Thanks a lot.

Blacksmith8 on September 17, 2009 at 11:19 AM

“that’s the long and short of it – no racism involved”

cane_loader

—————————————–

Your posts certainly do speak for themselves.

skylark on September 17, 2009 at 11:46 AM

The kids are being taught things that assert any number of worldviews, most of which have religious implications inherent to them. By specifically excluding one worldview, you are implicitly propping up the rest.

JHVH isn’t allowable in schools, but pseudo-pagan “Mother Earth” Gaia crap is. Judeo-Christian ethics are not allowed but Marxist rhetoric and Eastern mysticism are encouraged through “multicultural education”?

Coercion my @ss, AP. You just want your Secular Humanist worldview to be the one doing the coercion.

Good luck maintaining a solvent society after the Judeo-Christian ethics you depend on have been beaten out of our kids by our educational system. When evil no longer has any meaning, how can you expect kids to grow up knowing how to find it and root it out?

spmat on September 17, 2009 at 2:04 PM