Good news: Eight percent of New Jersey residents think Obama’s the Antichrist

posted at 4:40 pm on September 16, 2009 by Allahpundit

Forgive a nonbeliever his ignorance, but isn’t the Antichrist supposed to have more sinister priorities than, um, running up deficits? The seventh seal shatters, the trumpet sounds, and the beast emergeth … to pass a stimulus bill?

If it’s eight percent in Jersey, what must it be in more conservative, religious states? Fifteen?

Those are the only numbers you’ll see touted on MSNBC tonight, I assure you, but dig deeper in the crosstabs and you’ll find plenty of nuance. If the Antichrist nuttiness is yet another twisted manifestation of white racism towards Obama — which is surely how it’ll be spun — what are we to make of the breakdown by race?

The results of the birth certificate question are also interesting. Overall numbers on whether Obama was born in the U.S…

…and the numbers by race:

No statistical difference between whites and Hispanics. As for Truthers, yes, they polled that too. Overall numbers on the question of whether Bush had “advance knowledge” of 9/11 — which, alas, is ambiguously worded, since it could be understood as asking merely whether the U.S. had any intel about a plot in the works:

And the breakdown by race:

Note that the split among Democrats on Trutherism is almost a mirror image of the split among Republicans on Birtherism. Bear it in the mind the next time the media frets about fringe nuts taking over the GOP. Exit question: Were Democrats ever polled on whether Bush was the Antichrist during his presidency? He clearly was the root of all evil in the left’s cosmology, but even so, would secularists go so far as to anoint him the Biblical Master of Lies? Weigh in, liberal theologians!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

What percentage of people always give the wackiest sounding answer on any given poll?

With numbers this small, it sounds to me more like this poll got punked.

MarkTheGreat on September 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM

What?

bloggless on September 16, 2009 at 4:42 PM

I have to admit these charts make no sense to me.

Terrye on September 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

New Jersey????? Isn’t that a pretty high percentage???

PappaMac on September 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

idiot poll designed to make people look stupid.

rob verdi on September 16, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Eight percent of New Jersey residents think Obama’s the Antichrist

Nowhere near as bad as the majority of progressives that think any opposition to Obama is racist.

darwin on September 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

You don’t believe in it Allah, so why so concerned?

portlandon on September 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

No way. The Antichrist will be competent.

tgibson1962 on September 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Allah, I was hoping you’d pick up on the link I used earlier…! I knew this was right up your alley.

Here is PublicPolicyPolling’s rationale for asking the question:

We put it at the very end of the New Jersey poll, even after the demographic questions, because we just didn’t know how people would take it. It is definitely the strangest question we have ever asked. But very few respondents- less than 3%-hung up and didn’t answer that last one.

We’ll be honest. It took about six or seven takes to record that question with a straight face and without busting out in laughter at the ridiculousness of it. But I think the answer does tell us something about the level of extremism out there and how far some people are taking their hatred of President Obama.

Anyway, our company really is trying to find an intersection between high quality, accurate scientific polling and genuine utilization of social media. So the moral of the story is send us your crazy question idea and we really might ask it.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM

What percentage think he’s Jesus?

AbaddonsReign on September 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM

32% of democrats still think 9/11 was an inside job?

lorien1973 on September 16, 2009 at 4:45 PM

What starts with F and ends with “ringe”?

Nethicus on September 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Damned, this is one depressing poll.

11% of African-Americans “aren’t sure” whether Obama is the anti-Christ?

And 24% – one of out every four! – Hispanic Americans think he is?

What country do I live in again? I need to lie down for awhile.

Wake me when it’s 2050.

SteveMG on September 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Whats next…a “Do you still beat your wife” poll?

?

No, they had pretty much settled on the Hitler re-incarnation, and we all know how they feel about things being settled.

BobMbx on September 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Ronald Wilson Reagan = 666
William Jefferson Clinton = 666
Barak Hussein Obama = …Haiku?

ronsfi on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

That’s a lot of people who aren’t sure or don’t think Obama was born in the US.

bridgetown on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Things must be bad. My first thought upon reading your headline was “OK, but will they vote?” The Obama presidency is so bad I’m actually hoping that wack-a-doodles who believe in the anti-Christ embodied will put his challenger over the top in 2012. Sheesh.

Rational Thought on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Do you have any stats on how many Democrats thought Bush was crazy, drunk, or the devil?

Basically you are seeing what happens when the media turns cheerleader.

tarpon on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

I thought he was the Messiah…?

d1carter on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Did they do similar polls about Bush or Sarah Palin?

Sharr on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

No way. The Antichrist will be competent.

tgibson1962 on September 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

heh…

Yeah, as much as I do believe Revelations…Obama ain’t no anti-Christ. I’m surprised the numbers are that high, to be honest. But then, that IS Jersey we’re talkin’ about.

JetBoy on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Well, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he were.

Kensington on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

I wonder do Asians, Native Americans, etc feel left out of this poll?

bridgetown on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

No way. The Antichrist will be competent.

tgibson1962 on September 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM
Totally agree.

fourdeucer on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Aren’t you cute. You think The Precedent wants to do nothing but spend money. Naivete is endearing … to someone.

In any event, The Precedent is far too inept and stupid to be the anti-Christ.

progressoverpeace on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Heh, they live in New Jersey which is as close to hell as any living person is going to get. Maybe they know one of their own when they see him.

Bill C on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Here in Texas, the number’s 84.6% among registered voters, 78.3% among all adults.

TXUS on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

What country do I live in again? I need to lie down for awhile.

Wake me when it’s 2050.

SteveMG on September 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

What demon repellant did Moses recommend to hang on the door? Gonna lay in a large supply. One never knows…..

BobMbx on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Isn’t there something like 12% of people who believe in fairies and leprechauns?

I’m hoping that this is the same ~10% of people that you’ll have forever.

Just not there.

SteveMG on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

How many people in New Jersey think Axelrod wears pink underwear?

Just as relevant.

fogw on September 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM

By all means. Let’s take NJ’s lead on the issues.

lorien1973 on September 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Not to defend these idiots, but his agenda is a bit more troubling than that. His health care plans pull medical care from the elderly and ration life-saving care, his environmental agenda will lead to jobs killed, his foreign policy agenda is making American interests less safe, and his national security agenda is leaving us vulnerable to rogue dictators and terror attacks.

amerpundit on September 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Nice poll-writing there.

misslizzi on September 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM

You know, if someone called me and asked me if I thought Obama was the anti-christ. I would be so stunned by the question, I would say Yes just for fun.

bridgetown on September 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM

I’ll say this much, Allah: the Bible speaks of many antichrists, and then THE Antichrist.
I’d be willing to say Obama is an antichrist, but is too stupid to be THE Antichrist….unless its an act; the Antichrist will be a deceiver

ToddonCapeCod on September 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Christalmighty, that’s a lotta whackjobs!

And here I just thought he was the antithesis of my beliefs.

Doorgunner on September 16, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Couldn’t have been anything he did or said that influenced their opinion.

maverick muse on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I thought he was the Messiah…?

d1carter on September 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM

That is reflected in the opposing number; 10% believe he’s the antichrist > 90% believe he’s the Messiah. Or something.

BobMbx on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

This just in, 8% of the water supply in New Jersey has been contaminated with crazy.

marmaran on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

I want them to ask who the “Whore of Babylon” is next.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

How accurate is any poll where a significant percentage of the respondants hang up without giving an answer.

The margin of error on this question has to be a lot higher than that of the over all poll.

MarkTheGreat on September 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I work with a woman who believes that. Whatever blows her skirt up, I suppose.

I don’t think he’s the AntiChrist. I think he’s a moron. Was that an option in this poll.

mjk on September 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Obama=Antichrist? Nope–too polarizing.

Probably, could have come up with 5-6 percent to say that Obama is an egg salad sandwich if the question is worded right.

mwbri on September 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I want them to ask who the “Whore of Babylon” is next.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

1. Hillary
2. Michelle Obama
3. All of the above.

mjk on September 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Eight percent of New Jersey residents think Obama’s the Antichrist

darwin on September 16, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Less than 8% of NJ is Republican.

Jeff from WI on September 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I can’t speak for those who responded to the poll, but if someone called and asked me that question, I would probably answer yes even though I don’t believe it in the literal sense.

Ronnie on September 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I don’t actually think he’s the antichrist, but I do call him Satan for fun.

Monica on September 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Even as we watch the fuse that blows up ACORN lit today, why is it so unsurprising that Allahpundit would feel it necessary to alert the whole internet how some Deists ruined his day today.

Guess what, some folks still believe that Jesus rode bareback on top of velociraptors. WHO CARES how some people express their constitutionally-protected religious freedoms?!?

Khorum on September 16, 2009 at 4:54 PM

mwbri on September 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM

The Precedent’s about as intelligent as an egg salad sandwich. Does that count?

progressoverpeace on September 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Seriously, who cares? Really.

Spirit of 1776 on September 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Makes sense, 8% of America thinks New Jersey is Hell.

infidel4life on September 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM

My father-in-law constantly told me that Bush was the antichrist. I’m pretty sure he didn’t mean that literally and most of the people in that poll probably don’t either.

Bill Scrunty on September 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

No, I am hoping the Antichrist will not be socialist. Of course I am not speaking about the Antichrist in Revelation, just the guy who will finally take this ridiculous excuse for a worldview to the glue factory where it belongs.

LevStrauss on September 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The whole thing is crazy but I would take issue with the AntiChrist question. It did not suggest Obama was THE Antichrist. The bible states there are many antichrists.
A religious person who believes Obama truly favors abortion would be correct, theologically, in believing him anti-christ.

Rocks on September 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

wow, that’s a little low don’t you think? 10% think it’s a good idea to put your tally whacker in another’s bung hole, and that’s just as crazy.

“Not that there’s anything wrong with that”, oh wait! Yes there is!

kirkill on September 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Am I reading that right? A quarter of Hispanics think P.BO is the Antichrist?

Count to 10 on September 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The White House’s “puppies” in Joisey have finally opened their eyes? I doubt it.

viking01 on September 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM

infidel4life on September 16, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I’m sure that % is higher in New Jersey alone.

lorien1973 on September 16, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Between this and black ACORN workers eager to help with the sex slavery of Salvadorans, this is not exactly a golden age for Hispanic-black relations. RNC, take note. I’d hate to see Hispanics played off against blacks, but as long as Hispanics feel negatively towards Obama, his policies, and his allies, it’s change the GOP can believe in.

calbear on September 16, 2009 at 4:57 PM

He’s not the antichrist, but he is certainly not an agent of Yahweh.

bridgetown on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Wow only 8%?

Jerricho68 on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

First, how does this question even get ask? How many people hung up the phone? Second, I think more people are suppose to be “fooled” by the Anti-Christ. I am not feeling to special because I have The Won’s number.

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Sort of a secular anti-christ?

I guess so.

I’ll go with it since it makes me feel a little better.

SteveMG on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Obama’s just the figurehead, though. That’s what we have to remember.

The Dean on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Your ignorance is showing now. These aren’t the goals, they’re the methods. His goal is to orchestrate a crisis, and those are among the methods.

Aside from that — I could be wrong, but I get the impression the anti-christ will be able to count the number of states, or be able to put together coherent sentences without the use of a teleprompter. I also don’t think the anti-christ would be a puppet for another master like George Soros. So I don’t think Obama is the ideal candidate.

Daggett on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I want them to ask who the “Whore of Babylon” is next.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Pelosi for the win!

I’d also like to thank our runners-up: Hillary Clinton, the Wicked Witch of the East, and Michelle Obama, the Hound of the Baskervilles.

TMK on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

TXUS on September 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Addendum: Forgot to note that the numbers are 98.2/93.7 who believe that atheists are, in fact, the disciples of the Anti-Christ. Sorry, Allah.

TXUS on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Is that you Charles? Seriously, eight percent in any other poll would be written off as a statistical anamoly or fringes, why highlight it here? and why take a dig at conservative states when you have nothing to back uo what you say other than your own prejudices. Don’t turn Hot Air into Little Green Bull s**t.

clearbluesky on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I thought the prevailing winds blew the crack fumes from Patterson off-shore.

Doorgunner on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Anybody who heard him talk about how trying to save a surviving baby of a botched abortion “wouldn’t be fair to the ‘mother’” knows good and well he is evil.

Elizabetty on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

He can’t be the anti-Christ, it is written that he is well liked…maybe in late Feb he could have been, but I think that time has past…

right2bright on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Look, if someone taking a survey asked me with a straight face whether I thought Obama was the Antichrist I might say ‘yeah, sure’ just for the comic value.

It’s not the kind of question I can imagine any serious pollster asking and as such I might well be inclined to give less than a serious answer.

JEM on September 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

He’s not the Antichrist, though a lot of what he’s doing seems targeted to insure the power structures of the world the Bible predicts for the end times. Check out the scriptures. Many nations are mentioned by name, albeit their ancient names. No where is there any mention of the United States of America clearly stated. Now, how could the most powerful, prosperous, and influential nation in history not play a part? Economic collapse? Just sayin’.

jimmy2shoes on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Makes you wonder what kind of phone conversation this would be. Who’d be cracking up more, the questioner or the questionee?

betsyz on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

These people will surely vote against Obama, so we should attack them. Is that the thinking on this one?

Ronnie on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

i don’t think he’s smart enough to be the antichrist

Opinionnation on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Cindy Munford on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Per my post way above, PPP said only 3% hung up.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Allah, why do you have to post Chuckles crap. In a country of 300 million people you’ll run into a lot of wackos. The left is no different.

Lance Murdock on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Daggett on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I demand an anti-Christ who can get through a press conference about health care and his agenda without turning it into a two-week clusterfark about how he called cops “stupid”.

amerpundit on September 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM

betsyz on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

PPP doesn’t do live phone polls. It’s automated…”Press 1 for yes, press 2 for no, press 3 for not sure”, etc.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I want them to ask who the “Whore of Babylon” is next.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Pelosi in the morning with no makeup?

infidel4life on September 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I always liked The Omen.

Blake on September 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

It’s not a fair question in NJ. If they would have asked a relevant question, then the percentage would have been closer to 35%.

platypus on September 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I know for a fact that the anti-Christ will have a mastery of English extending to the correct usage of the indefinite article. No self-respecting anti-Christ would be heard saying, “It is aaaaay evil way that my opponents …”

progressoverpeace on September 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

obamabush

ginaswo on September 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

jimmy2shoes on September 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Bingo. Barking up the right tree, IMHO.

infidel4life on September 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM

8% believing he’s the “anti-Christ” whatever that is, is almost within the margin of error of the 12% who think that opponents of the BO08′s policies are racist.

The bell curve has fat tails.

mr.blacksheep on September 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Does it never end with you AP? Who cares? Quite frankly I’m surprised it’s only 8% because I figure you can always get at least 10% of the people to agree to anything. And if one can always get at least 10% of the people to agree to anything who flipping cares that 8% of the people who live in New Jersey think Obama is the Antichrist?!?

NotCoach on September 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM

“One of the secrets of being a glib talker is not getting hung up over whether what you are saying is true, and instead giving your full attention to what is required by the audience and the circumstances of the moment, without letting facts get in your way and cramp your style. Obama has mastered that art. Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. No message has been more welcomed by the gullible, in countries around the world, than the promise of something for nothing. That is the core of Barack Obama’s medical care plan.” –economist Thomas Sowell

So yes, if you are gullible by a poll.

kirkill on September 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Obama’s just the figurehead, though. That’s what we have to remember.

The Dean on September 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM

For the Jooos?

mjk on September 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I know for a fact that the anti-Christ will have a mastery of English….

progressoverpeace on September 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Yup, betcha he never says “wee-wee”

infidel4life on September 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

That’s about 5% less than believe they have been personally abducted by UFOs and about 50% less than think that an actual physical personal angel once pulled them out of the way of a bus (give/take).

It’s also 45% less than the percent of Ohio Obama voters who thought that the GOP controlled Congress in 2008.

This game gets old, and I say that even from a place of genuinely entertained misanthropy.

omriceren on September 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I think this is more indicative that people are polled don’t take it that seriously.

JohnJ on September 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

For the Jooos?

mjk on September 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM

No, that’s Kanye West…according to some posters on MediaTakeOut.com . The theory is that he was told to do that to make black men look bad. I’m not kidding.

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

SouthernGent on September 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Thanks for the info. Now I can stop laughing myself silly.

betsyz on September 16, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Totally off topic, but this is mighty interesting. ACORN, now Obama’s terrorist friends Ayers and Dhorn? Do I see dominoes falling?

Rational Thought on September 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM

So, when the poll asked the “Antichrist” question, did they explicitly indicate whether they meant in a literal or figurative sense?

I would guess that most of the 8% meant that they really don’t like Obama and aren’t above using a bit of hyperbole.

Of course, I also recall back in the 80s when some people claimed that the President was the Antichrist because counting the letters in “Ronald Wilson Reagan” gave a result of 6-6-6.

malclave on September 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Talk about denial! What are the other 92% thinking???
/sarc

dont taze me bro on September 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM

omriceren on September 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Omri, you should distance yourself from LGF. They’re a bunch of wackos over there. It won’t be to long before Charles throws Israel under the bus.

Lance Murdock on September 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM