As the House prepares to censure Wilson …

posted at 10:12 am on September 15, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

The House will prepare a censure for Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) for his interjection during the speech by Barack Obama last Wednesday in a joint session, “You lie!”  After waffling on the issue for a couple of days, Speaker Nancy Pelosi will hold a vote to publicly punish Wilson for his bad manners.  However, this doesn’t exactly look like a winner politically, especially since Wilson’s interjection wound up exposing the lack of enforcement on citizenship in the ObamaCare system:

As early as Tuesday, House leaders could bring to the floor a resolution of disapproval aimed at Mr. Wilson, though the timing is uncertain, said a House Democratic leadership aide who described the issue as one of conduct, not speech.

“Congressman Wilson’s outburst during the joint session was a breach of decorum and brought discredit to the House,” the aide said. “It is common for members to address such breaches themselves rather than force action by the full House. Failure to respond would mean consent for that kind of conduct.”

Mr. Wilson’s critics cite his conduct as evidence of a deteriorating political climate and some are trying to use it to argue that the Republican Party more broadly is anti-immigrant. On Tuesday, a group of religious leaders is holding a prayer vigil calling for an end to what they describe as “hateful rhetoric.”

I do think that Wilson should not have interrupted Obama’s speech and was right to offer Obama a direct apology, which Obama accepted.  However, Democrats now want to overplay their hand by claiming that a charge of lying is tantamount to “hate speech”.  If so, as Gateway Pundit points out, Democrats did nothing to restrain their own member from engaging in similar “hate speech” in 2007, during — of all things — the debate over the expansion of S-CHIP:

I actually live-blogged this debate at Captain’s Quarters when it took place in October 2007.  At the time, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing from Stark.  Raw Story has the entire transcript (emphases mine):

First of all, I’m just amazed that they can’t figure out– the Republicans are worried that we can’t pay for insuring an additional ten million children. They sure don’t care about finding $200 billion to fight the illegal war in Iraq. Where are you gonna get that money? You gonna tell us lies, like you’re telling us today? Is that how you’re going to fund the war? You don’t have the money to fund the war or children, but you’re going to spend it to blow up innocent people, if we could get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the President’s amusement.

This bill would provide health care for ten million children and, unlike the President’s own kids, these children can’t see a doctor or receive necessary care. Six million are insured through the Children’s Health Insurance Program and they’ll do better in school, and in life. In California, the President’s veto will cause the legislature to draw up emergency regulations to cut some 800,000 children off the rolls in California and create a waiting list.

I hope my California Republican colleagues will understand that if they don’t vote to override this veto, they are destroying health care for many of our children in California.

In the previous job as an actor, our Governor used to play make-believe and blow things up. Well, [the] President and Republicans in Congress are playing make-believe today with children’s lives. They claim we can’t afford health care. They say the bill will socialize medicine. Tell that to Orrin Hatch, Chuck Grassley and Ted Stevens, those socialists on the other side of this capitol. The truth is: [The] CHIP program enables states to cover children primarily through private health care plans. But, President Bush’s statements about children’s health shouldn’t be taken any more seriously than his lies about the war in Iraq. The truth is that Bush just likes to blow things up… in Iraq, in the United States, and in Congress.

I urge my colleagues to vote to override his veto. America’s children need and deserve health care, despite the President’s desire to deny it to them.

If “You lie” qualifies as “hateful rhetoric”, then Stark’s lunatic rant should qualify for a gold medal in the lympic event. Did Democrats, enjoying the first year of their majority, vote to censure Stark for calling the President a liar — or more egregiously, for claiming that Bush enjoyed seeing Americans and Iraqis die for his “amusement”? No, although Stark did get a warning from the presider after Republicans complained repeatedly about his insults.

If Pelosi wants to censure Wilson, then she has unfinished business from 2007 to attend first.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Joe, get a written copy of the censure/rebuke/admonition, and auction it off to the highest bidder.

I would pay for it, if for no other reason than to urinate on it on the steps of the Capitol.

Of course, I don’t think I’d be the highest bidder. :(

JohnGalt23 on September 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Chill winds…

spmat on September 15, 2009 at 1:14 PM

Pelosi and others of her ilk want their sound bite or better yet,their video of another apology.
The apology would go something like this; Nazi Pelosi would be riding Wilson like a pony in front of jail bars;Wilson would be stripped down to his underwear being spanked while repeating”thank you speaker Pelosi,may I have another?”

spazzmomma on September 15, 2009 at 1:23 PM

If I were Wilson, I’d be hanging a framed copy of this censure on my office wall. Nancy Pelosi has ignored William Jefferson’s crimes and is ignoring the fact that the Chair of the Appropriations Committee is a tax cheat….

Yet the only thing they want to act on is Joe Wilson’s outburst? Cenusure of this corrupt body by a bunch of corrupt Democrats is meaningless.

highhopes on September 15, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Let’s see, um….William Jefferson, Allan Mollohan, John Conyers, Patrick Kennedy, Cynthia McKinney, Charlie Rangel, all have been or are, in legal or ethical trouble of some sort.

And let’s not forget San Fran Nan. Oh yeah, but everyone knows she’s a Saint, and all her questionable goings on are just a figment of Republican imagination.

These people are absolutely unbelievable. I have to have faith that one of these days they will get their just reward. Look what is finally happening to ACORN.

Susanboo on September 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM

And just as a reminder, Didn’t Pelosi say the the CIA LiedMis-Led her? Double Standards or what? At least Mr. Wilson’s unprofessional outburst was the Truth!

BigMike252 on September 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Participating in the vigil outside the Capitol will be Bishop John Wester of Salt Lake City, who chairs the Committee on Immigration of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops; Bishop Prince Singh of the Episcopal Diocese of Rochester, N.Y.; Bishop Minerva Carcaño of the Desert Southwest Conference of the United Methodist Church and Dale Schwartz of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society.

Dusty on September 15, 2009 at 11:10 AM

I am an United Methodist, and Ms. Carcano doesn’t represent me, or my friends or my family! Some of these lefty, higher ups in my church are getting as bad as the Episcopalians!

Susanboo on September 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I want to move to Joe Wilson’s district.

blr2449 on September 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM

In an obvious reference to the Ku Klux Klan, Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga., says that people will put on “white hoods and ride through the countryside” if emerging racist attitudes, which he says were subtly supported by Rep. Joe Wilson, are not rebuked. He said Wilson must be disciplined as an example.

Is he referring to his fellow Democrats? If I remember my history, the KKK was comprised of Democrats trying to run the Republicans out of the South and scare blacks. Just ask Robert Byrd who was a card carrying member for awhile.

iamsaved on September 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Wilson should put his censure up for sale on ebay like Rush did.

Dollayo on September 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM

This just in:

Rep. Joe Wilson has decided to reverse course and offer a full apology to the House. Received here is the leaked text of his speech of conciliation:

“Madam Speaker, recently in response to a series of false and misleading policy statements by the President of the United States, and an additional series of false claims regarding the motives and character of those of us who exercise the American right to offer dissent to those policies, I violated the customs of decorum that this House deems appropriate.
I have since apologized to the President, who has graciously accepted my apology while not making any retraction of the false statements that provoked me to my outburst.
To all members of this chamber who exercise restraint in the face of misleading character claims and insults to your constituents, I salute you. If you exercise your sacred charge with passion for the truth, the Constitution and the American people, regardless of your political persuasion; if you serve your country and constituents while treating opposing viewpoints and your Presidents, both current and previous, with the utmost respect, I apologize to you and pledge to emulate your sense of decorum in my future service to our Great Nation.
To the other members, including the Madam Speaker and House leadership, I apologize for my behavior to the current President inasmuch as you are also apologizing to this House for your words and behavior to previous Presidents. If my behavior is unbecoming a member of this House, let us look the American people in the eye and say, “Never again will we tolerate lies, fraud, criminal wrongdoing and villification in the name of doing the public’s business.”

Then I awoke, and alas, it was but a dream…we missed a teachable moment….

rwenger43 on September 15, 2009 at 3:14 PM

In response to the House censure, I’m urging Wilson to get up and chant in a loud voice: “Wolverines!!! Wolverines!!!”.

pabarge on September 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM

I disagree. A better response would be: “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.”

FlameWarrior on September 15, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Susanboo on September 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Hear, hear.

Ryan Gandy on September 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Someone get the Maalox. Censure resolution’s passed.

Ryan Gandy on September 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM

posted at 11:43 am on October 23, 2007 by Allahpundit
Share on Facebook | printer-friendly Awesome. Boehner introduced a censure resolution this morning knowing that the Democrats would have to kill it and symbolically line up on Stark’s side, which they did. That was enough for Pelosi, evidently: after he initially refused to apologize, after the fight-fight-fightin’ nutroots very predictably made it a point of pride that he not apologize, the good congressman has duly considered the Speaker’s rebuke from Friday and … apologized.

The Democrat did eventually apologize to the house and the president. I’m a bit confused here.

harry on September 15, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Lying sack of sh!t. As soon as Ogabe signed SCHIP into law the cost of my cigs rose a dollar due to the costs he’s levying on ME to pay for the health insurance of OTHER PEOPLES’ KIDS.

And here I thought Ogabe wasn’t going to raise taxes on anyone making less than $250k. Another lying sack of sh!t. Oh wait, they’re both Dems. It’s redundant.

quikstrike98 on September 16, 2009 at 2:39 AM