Video: Kanye West’s place in jackass hall of fame now secure

posted at 12:19 am on September 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s been secure for years, actually, and not just because of the infamous “George Bush doesn’t care about black people” crack. This isn’t the first time he’s acted like a royal A-hole at an awards show; in fact, it’s not even the first time he’s rushed the stage during an acceptance speech to protest the winner. That happened a few years ago at the MTV Europe Awards. Even so, I salute him: In this season of political turmoil, Americans are finally united in hatred of his pure, preening douchebaggery. No small accomplishment.

Taylor Swift, who’s all of 19 years old, evidently was spotted “crying hysterically” backstage afterwards, although she managed to pull it together in time to reappear during Beyonce’s moment of graciousness at the end of the show. The boss has video of that. Exit quotation from Karl, imagining an Obama-orchestrated West/Swift beer summit: “Let me be clear: I didn’t watch the VMAs, so I don’t have all the facts. But Taylor Swift acted stupidly.”

Update: That didn’t take long.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

BTW, I’m sure Beyonce’s mom and dad are smiling, too! :)

newton on September 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Kanye will be on Leno’s first show tonight. This was obviously a publicity stunt.

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

If that is the case it’d be great if Jay Leno told Kayne West to not show up/

Holger on September 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Once again, although this West guy, and his actions, was the catalyst for the thread, I was speaking in general regarding an entire music form and it’s performers, and MY opinion of the same. Bluntly, it’s disgusting and degrading, and since 99% is of the Black community, you will hear me make comments about that communities failure to speak out against what it says and stands for.

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Quite frankly, I don’t think you would change regardless of how many speak out against certain forms of rap music and rap artists and your attitude seems to indicate it. I can point out a number of specific examples but I doubt it will do anything to sway your opinion so I’ll just leave it at that.

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM

Well thank you for trying to convince me of how wonderful that medium is and how nice it is that a whole community seems to support it.
I guess I’m just a hard headed ignorant racist that doesn’t love rap,hip hop, or our President.

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:03 PM

What a tough guy.

rlwo2008 on September 14, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Not asking you to like rap music, hip-hop and actually understand your concerns in regards to the message some hiphop puts forth, though to be fair if you look you could find some hip-hop with either a positive message or more benign one but again some people just don’t like the music and that is fine. What I’m asking you is to examine your line of thought and this idea that as whole a whole group of people should apologize or chastise a music genre. This is based off the premise that 1) all blacks like hiphop or even thoughs that do like the particular type of music that advocates shooting your “homies” 2)viewing a whole race as a collective and not simply HUMAN BEINGS who have a variation in opinion as anyone else. Again like I said I can find people who condemn rap music as a whole or certain types of rap music and are black but I’m sure you can find an opposite. At the end of the day we’re just both demostrating that people have differing opinions.

This is much bigger than rap music, as more just people’s, in particularly yours, in regards to how you view other human beings. You have a race centered view more than a human centered one if we just went by what you stated in the thread.

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 1:13 PM

rap is crap

redrock on September 14, 2009 at 1:15 PM

There’s only a few people in the world that I can’t even stand the sight of–Kanye’s one of them. He’s a lowlife. I’m just glad the rest of the audience at the ceremony recognized that.

I’m gonna need to take in a certain South Park episode tonight…fish sticks, anyone?

KellyBomelly on September 14, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Yeah, give the audience credit. They did the right thing by Taylor.

Wow, there’s only a few people in the world I can’t stand the sight of also. Here’s my short list, all of whom are tied for #1:

Bill Maher
Keith Olbermann
Rachel Maddow…..

Well, you get the drift..

Gang-of-One on September 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Kanye was just jealous because a white woman won; it’s pure racism.

Janeane Garofalo

TN Mom on September 14, 2009 at 1:24 PM

If rethinking about the fool Kayne West makes you mad just rewatch the updated interruption of Obama’s speech. It makes me chuckle everytime and I loose my anger and just think of him as a fool.

shick on September 14, 2009 at 1:25 PM

It appears to me that the black community feels that it has been empowered with the election of Obama. That’s OK. Unfortuantely, some of them have taken it too far and think its OK to make an ass of themselves and openly express hatred on whitey.

cjs1943 on September 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Question: At the end of the edited Obama interruption video. Is Graham applauding Kayne West?

shick on September 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Norvell…Which “Hip Hop”/Rap artist promote a “positive” message consistently in their art form. Who are these paragons of virtue. What social goodness are they promoting?

Just wondering

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

If that is the case it’d be great if Jay Leno told Kayne West to not show up/

Holger on September 14, 2009 at 12:44 PM

It is all about ratings. Leno will not cancel him. Ratings are king. Ask Glenn Beck.

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Just wondering

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Never stated paragon of Virtue as you’re setting quite a high standard I think in regards to any music genre, however one act that comes to mind is Ugly Duckling. Also another Artist by the name of Funky DL. Just two off the top of my head. As far as more benign and actual good artists, I would like to point out the roots, zion I, cyne and a few others. However they do use bad words every now and then and have politics that I don’t particularly agree with but they do not promote violence and their music isn’t based off only the most base of things,

I think the problem is that the artists who promote the most base things tend to get the most press and are mainstream. Those acts I mentioned are not really the most popular compared to say the 50 cents and so on.

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

These guys.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Serena Williams also presented at the MTV VMA’s tonight. I crap you not.

YYZ on September 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM

I ain’t no tennis fan, but tossing Serena Williams into the Kanye West mix is way off base to me. Serena popped a gasket at “a bad call.” As soon as she lost, because of the point deduction, she immediately shook hands with her opponent–always a sign of good sportsmanshitp. What’s the big news in a tennis player’s meltdown?

Sorry, I just can’t connect the two events.

Gang-of-One on September 14, 2009 at 1:41 PM

He is such a Gay Fish

Joey1974 on September 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Mmmm…fish sticks!

Blacklake on September 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM

These guys.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM

You got to be kidding. That was more of the same trash.

Perhaps you have another trying to convince kids to drink their milk while cussing up a storm.

shick on September 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM

Just wondering, which good message lyrics do they use?

Abstinence? Marriage? Paying for your own kids? Getting off welfare? Getting a college degree? Not stealing, Not using drugs?

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

These guys.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Message good…language very poor..LOL

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM

shick on September 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

LOL!

Kinda sad that was the best I could find, huh?

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I have a practical question:

Why is the ‘C’ silent in Crap Music?

Vashta.Nerada on September 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I have a practical question:

Why is the ‘C’ silent in Crap Music?

Vashta.Nerada on September 14, 2009 at 1:48 PM

LOLOLOL

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:50 PM

You got to be kidding.

shick on September 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Uh, yeah. I’m TMK; I’m always kidding.

Except when trolls are in the house. Then I’m all teeth and claws.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

He’s proving his own SNL sketch true.

clghitis on September 14, 2009 at 1:55 PM

Uh, yeah. I’m TMK; I’m always kidding.

Except when trolls are in the house. Then I’m all teeth and claws.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM

You got me and reeled me in on that one. I don’t like being tricked into watching trash.

What’s TMK?

shick on September 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM

shick on September 14, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Sorry!

What’s TMK?

Now that is a question for the ages.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Just wondering, which good message lyrics do they use?

Funky DL talks about that. A tribe called quest and De la Soul is two other groups I think would fit into this category.

Ugly duckling on the other hand is nothing but a fun type of music but it was the most “innocent” rap group I could think of off the top of my hand in the sense that you’ll rarely find any of their songs to contain profanity and the most “obscene” things they talk about is annoying their neighbors with their loud music and hating work lol.

Like I said the other groups are benign in the sense that they use bad words and don’t put forth any particularly “paragon of virtue” type of topics however they are not what I consider base (sex, ego, and violence) and their worst offense is they might use a bad word or two. It’s adult music and kids shouldn’t be listening to it.

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM

*Yawn*…..MTV is so old….

dec5 on September 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM

What a dipshit.

Jason58 on September 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Looks like there’s a new “white kid who is here to protect the black race” named, alliebobbitt

LtE126 on September 14, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I was trying to protect you from looking like an asshole, and myself by association.

alliebobbitt on September 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM

LtE126 on September 14, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I was trying to protect you from looking like a douchebag, and myself through association.

alliebobbitt on September 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Sorry, I thought I got bleeped, so I repeated myself.

alliebobbitt on September 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Norvell on September 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM

…And they make fun of vegan hippies. “Mmmmm…Meatshake” LOL

PointMan37 on September 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM

KW types: Pick on women and sucker punch people.

Johan Klaus on September 14, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Lost in all this brouhaha is this:

There have been no American Idol finalists (much less winners) that are from the hip-hop/rap genre. But the most successful American Idol since the first one is as Nashville as they come (Carrie Underwood).

In a different time (pre-MTV Real World), Taylor Swift would’ve been as likely to show up on the VMA awards as LeAnn Rimes would’ve. So be nice, Kanye and Beyonce; you need Taylor Swift.

BradSchwartze on September 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I really can’t understand why we pay so much attention to a publicity stunt. West hasn’t had a decent hit in years and the only way he keeps himself in the public eye is by making all kind of stupid gestures and shouting profanities. Can anybody name a great song performed by this clown? I don’t recall any.

clemycali on September 14, 2009 at 3:28 PM

With Obama (“I won”) in the White House, Kanye West is not the only racist black who feels he can behave like a thug.

maryo on September 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

With Obama (”I won”) in the White House, Kanye West is not the only racist black who feels he can behave like a thug.

That is true but why do we care about a second hand enterteiner who behaves like a thug just to keep himself in the public’s attention? We feed him by giving him attention. He doesen’t have a video, he hasn’t had a hit in years but he is going to stare in Jay Lenno’s first show and he has to advertise himself somehow. Without constant controversy we wouldn’t know who Kanye West is. We should learn from this.

clemycali on September 14, 2009 at 3:55 PM

BradSchwartze on September 14, 2009 at 3:27 PM

I noticed this as well. Notice how in their final show they hired the latest hip-hop/rap star to perform. Simon’s no dummy in business. He’ll put on the money tested rapper but he hasn’t bother to mess with hip-hop/rap off the street talent because he knows it will not sell.

The supporting musicians (strings, percussion, winds, brass, backing vocals) for the hip-hop/rap bands are 10 times the musicians of the actual stars.

shick on September 14, 2009 at 4:09 PM

What’s TMK?

Too Much Kanye

SittingDeadRed on September 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM

The fact that this terd is given a seat at the show makes it a waste of everyone’s time.

whiskeytango on September 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Stand by for ‘Fish Sticks’ Kanye’s highly publiscized entry into a rehab center for ‘substance abuse issues’, or some other such cop-out for being a jackass…

And Cudos to Beyonce’ for showing an enormous level of class….

Scubafreak on September 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Me thinks that thug is shovel ready!

ohiorebel on September 14, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Beonyce sp? lost due to racism.

Akzed on September 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM

If Leno doesn’t disinvite this thug I’ll never watch Jay again.

Not even on re-runs.

He should get Taylor Swift on instead.

profitsbeard on September 14, 2009 at 6:59 PM

“Kanye West Storms Well of U.S. Senate, Says ‘ObamaCare’s the Best Policy of All Time!’”: http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/09/kanye-west-storms-well-of-us-senate.html

Mervis Winter on September 14, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Stunt or not, he should have had his gonads kicked up into his throat.

Dave R. on September 14, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Kanye is a well-documented Obama supporter, and you’re the racist, racist.

TMK on September 14, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Puleeze!!! Folks, why do you engage in the labeling game of the liberals and minorities? Can’t you see that calling someone a racist is a tactic developed of necessity by those outside of the ruling side? Claims of racism are little more than a futile protest by the have-nots against those who wield the real power in society. Since they can’t achieve their goals, they attempt to make the victors feel somehow guilty about the victory. Don’t buy into it.

An accusation of racism against you should be a clear indication that your opponent is competing with you from a position of weakness. Trying to turn the tables on him by saying that he, actually, is the racist in the room only legitimizes the initial accusation.

It’s not necessary to run from an accusation of racism. It serves only to confirm your position of strength. The attack is neutralized if you don’t acknowledge it as damaging. The balance of power remains the same. In order to change that balance more towards his favor, your attacker must work actively and productively within the system to improve the lot of his side. That is the only way to real equality.

So, don’t consider it shameful when someone throws the “r” word at you. Consider it an acknowledgment that your side, political or otherwise, is the winning side and that your opponent is too weak to take his fate into his own hands.

Elessar on September 14, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Jeff from WI on September 14, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I’m no fan of Hip Hop or Rap, so I couldn’t say if it is consistent, but try this.

There is usually an exception to any rule. :)

No trick, Shick. LOL

pannw on September 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM

You know it’s too bad lynching isn’t allowed in this country anymore…CUZ I KNOW OF A FEW PEOPLE WHO DESERVE IT!

BobAnthony on September 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Topic in the few weeks: Why are black people not republicans…

Norvell on September 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Kanye’s a punk ass attention whore.

TrickyDick on September 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Beyonce is a class act though.

Sultry Beauty on September 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM

rap is crap
kanye west personifies rap
therefore kanye west is crap

Sweet_Thang on September 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM

My wife and I saw Taylor Swift perform in Boston in July, and she was absolutely great. At one point the crowd gave her a 6 minute standing ovation in the middle of the concert. It was something I’ve never seen before and I ‘ve been to dozens of concerts over more years than I care to think about, both rock and country.

And she’s only 19!

Sweet_Thang on September 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM

TMZ audio of the smooth talking prez speaking his mind. Hot mic captures it at :28.

thetowncrier on September 15, 2009 at 5:35 PM

BobAnthony on September 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM

The lynching period in the United States is not something I want to bring back for anyone, not even you. Banning you might be good, though.

Loxodonta on September 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Thank you Ed and Allahpundit for your good house cleaning work.

Loxodonta on September 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM