How big was the crowd in D.C. today?

posted at 8:31 pm on September 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

Anyone have any official/nonpartisan estimates? I’ve seen numbers ranging from 50,000 on the low end (from David Shuster, natch) up to “a healthy six figures” from Reason’s Matt Welch on up to the two million figure cited by the boss earlier this morning, which ABC insists it never reported. As of a few hours ago, D.C. police were refusing to make any estimates but ABC got some unspecified city officials on the record claiming there 60,000 to 75,000 people there. Any other numbers floating around? E-mail me if so. I think using protest size as a gauge of popular sentiment is stupid — witness the huge turnouts against the war in early 2003 when public support was in the neighborhood of 65 percent — but it’s a fun talking point, so let’s have fun.

Two videos of the crowd for you to peruse. One is a time-lapse from a traffic cam of people gathering this morning, the other is of MSNBC anchor Alex Witt marveling at the scale of the rally. Believe it or not, there were lefties speculating on Twitter today that the photo Michelle posted this morning was bogus because the flag in the foreground appears to be at half-mast; it must have been a photo of a lefty protest from years ago, the theory went, for surely the right couldn’t muster a throng of that size. Compare it to the videos, though, and you’ll see that the shot’s obviously from today. Alas, 9/12 Truth, we hardly knew ye!

Update: However big it was, it was bigger than expected. From the NYT: “Many came on their own and were not part of an organization or group. But the magnitude of the rally took the authorities by surprise, with throngs of people streaming from the White House to Capitol Hill for more than three hours.”

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

The truth will out. Despite mainstream media attempts to characterize turnout as in the thousands, a spokesman for the National Park Service, Dan Bana, is quoted as saying “It is a record…. We believe it is the largest event held in Washington, D.C., ever.”

elduende on September 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM

elduende on September 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Thanks for that link…

just wanted to say I had planned on seeing some of you, but my lord it was crowded so I mingled….

did anyone else notice that from between 1 and 4 the voewing poll was completely surrounded and we filld the Mile between the Capitol and the monuments….

personal favorite event of the day was people yelling Glenn Beck” over the CNN newsie….

second favorite those poor Union boys who were handing out fliers near the port-a-johns who were simply awestruck at the numbers…

see you at the next one.

sven10077 on September 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I was there, rode the Metro. Anyone who says they were empty is full of it. We waited in one of the approximately ten lines for about 45 mins. to get our Metro Passes around 10am. Everyone was kind, orderly, chatty–like they’re friends you just hadn’t met before. One guy quipped, “Hey, we’re just practicing for Obamacare lines.”

The Metro was chock-full…every stop added more. When we got off, there was a cop motioning us where to go, saying, “Go down this street, you’ll run right into them.” LOL! And we did…into a SEA of humanity.

Also, whomever is spreading ugly stories about leaving trash: we walked around when it was ending, and we saw lots of trashcans full of stuff, but nothing was strewn around like at the Inauguration. In fact, I saw people picking up things they found blowing about, and putting it in the trashcan.

Words can’t describe how incredible it was…

hoosiermama on September 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM

sven10077 on September 13, 2009 at 9:55 PM

You’re welcome. I wasn’t there but thanks for going and representing our interests.

elduende on September 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM

elduende on September 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM

wow. NPS spokesman saying it’s the “largest event ever”

Wow. that’s got to have some legs this week!

9/12 Hefty Hefty Heft

Obama’s MN Speech: Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy

ted c on September 13, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Words can’t describe how incredible it was…

hoosiermama on September 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM

Don’t worry, mama; the trash talk is coming from DKos, and being spread here by trolls.

So, the trash talk is trash.

massrighty on September 13, 2009 at 10:03 PM

elduende on September 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Ummm, I think the AT blog is linking to the Inauguration. Not sure what’s up with that???

hoosiermama on September 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM

tons of people did NOT march from freedom plaza – they went directly to the capitol lawn to get good spots. We were in the back row on the lawn and when I turned around about one hour later there were 30 more rows behind us, then 30 more – I heard zero cursing, zero hate speech, nearly no trash whatsoever & everyone, EVERY SINGLE PERSON was polite, kind and patient. We were out there for nearly 7 hours & it was FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC. Next year, they announced, on the same date, there will be a million FAMILY march.

Ris4victory on September 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

hoosiermama on September 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM

It is interesting to compare and contrast the media’s “guesstimation” of the Coronation and the Tea Party….my foster brother lives in Manassas and commutes to DC to work and he says they are comparable….

a biker cop I spoke with yesterdat said he had never seen the Capitol strip so corwded…..add in the Tram strandees and I’d guess 475,000-1,000,000

sven10077 on September 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Ris4victory on September 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

And this time we plan on being there!

atheling on September 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM

elduende on September 13, 2009 at 9:50 PM

hoosiermama on September 13, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I think the AT blog is showing the no trash left behind on “9/12″ (the top photo) compared to the trash left behind after the inauguration (the bottom photo). However, I think the photos are of different sites in D.C., so the comparison presented in the photos might not be fair.

Ira on September 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Ira on September 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Hoosiermama is correct. The AT article refers to the Park estimate regarding 9/12, while the link is in reference to the Coronation.

AT is in error, there.

atheling on September 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM

I’ll tell you how many were there… When we passed the halfway mark on Pennsylvania ave. We asked the police and they had their estimates up to 1.5 million, and the highest estimate I heard from the capital police was 2 million. The news can run but they can’t hide. Tens of thousands my ass. There were people stretched for miles.

webdemon on September 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I was there when I left at 1645 the “estimation pic” on the link would have been between bill clinton and LBJ….

look at the time lapse….

“stupid moonbat meme” # 1365 this year….

“it’s fake the flags are at 1/2 mast”….

hey Genius they leave the flags up friday night for the weekend at 90% of DC federal buildings and nobody fixes ‘em staurday morning….

silly moonbats

sven10077 on September 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM

every flag at each state line we crossed driving back to florida was still at half mast and we drove through 5 states today.

Ris4victory on September 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I was there, and I have the pictures to prove it. There was no hate, there was no unrest, there were no politics of personal destruction, there WAS politics of POLICY destruction. Every one was peaceful, enthusiastic and respectful. It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY. If the press, if the libs (same thing) want to ignore it, belittle it, OK with me. We know we were there, we know it was important and we know we are not giving up. Deal.

Willie on September 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I would like to see someone compare the pictures of the crowds at Obama’s inauguration with those from 9/12. And let’s remember there were local tea parties all over the country. Someone needs to tally those up.
Obama claims not to have known about the 9/12 events. Snort! Quick–time for another speech!

MADgirl91 on September 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Ira on September 13, 2009 at 10:17 PM

It’s fair.

This is video of the national mall:

CPL 310 on September 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM

@10:50 – I should add, lest anyone not notice the title of the video – that’s after the Pres. Hussein’s inauguration.

CPL 310 on September 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM

you know, I was there and I am so frustrated about the misinfomation about how many people were there. I have over 100 photos, many of which are crowd shots. There were hundreds of thousands of people there, many of whom could not get into the lawn in front of the Capitol and who could not hear or see the speakers and music, but stayed anyway, just to be part of an historic day. I am furious at those of you who insist the photos are bullshit and there wasn’t really anyone there and if there was anyone there, our point of view is somehow manufactured. We know we were there, we know how many of us were there, we know why we were there and we are not giving up and we are not giving in to the MSM or the government who will deny our existence and our purpose. This was a shot across the bow, we are not going away

Willie on September 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Willie on September 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I agree. Just kept hearing “tens of thousands” reported on the way back home. All they’ve done is cement our understanding that the corrupted fed gov’t is in bed with nbc, cbs, nyt, etc.

I hope the trolls and media keeps downplaying the numbers. It’ll encourage people like to speak out when asked and I can now provide evidence that they are being lied to by cnn, msnbc, etc.

Corruption is the key. We need a third party not attached to the political machines (media, congress, etc).

There is absolutely no doubt.

joshlbetts on September 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM

I just returned home from Washington. On the airplane to Milwaukee a person behind us, the people in the seats in front of us and kitty corner to us were all people who had attended the march. Before I got on the plane there was a group of us talking about the march and what it meant. I don’t think I was on the only plane taking off for Milwaukee with protestors on it. The number is far higher than anyone will admit if my experience is typical. When we split up someone told my 17 year old son how lucky he was “to be there at the beginning”.

I did not make the march from Freedom Plaza to the Capital because the rally had already started so I would not have been on the traffic cam.

We are on the march (literally).

dagney on September 13, 2009 at 11:31 PM

I have to agree with the Trash comment. People were going out of their way to make sure that they and other people picked up the trash and used trash cans. Also, the police were respected, and there was no one destroying property… I have to say that I met some of the nicest people yesterday.

webdemon on September 13, 2009 at 11:48 PM

It’s just a given that the left is going to lie about everything to do with this.
What else would they do? Tell the truth? Then they wouldn’t be liberals.

It’s going to be funny hearing the left talking points about this. They can’t point to violence. They can’t point to photo fakery. They can’t say the protests were messy. They were ALL EVVVILL RACISTS! That’s it.

I happened to have a talk with my dad the other night who is 69. He’s a dyed-in-the-wool liberal. He’s really an older version of Obama. They think the same way.
Talking to my dad for 8 years about politics told me in no uncertain terms what an O presidency was going to be like.

It’s like an msnbc anchor live in person, really. But the thing was the other night, instead of getting mad or frustrated with him, (like I’d been over the last 8 years)
I basically laughed him out of the living room. The stuff eh was talking about was so ridiculous first I started laughing then he did too. The talk about politics didn’t last long this time.

So when you guys run into left wing talking points, don’t get mad. Just laugh it off. It’s all so contrived and bs.

After what happened yesterday in DC don’t let anyobdy get you pi$$ed off. Be proud of what they –and you if you were there– accomplished.
On the impressive meter, the glass and the needle broke.

B Man on September 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Damn, shoulda proof read that first.

B Man on September 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM

Police told us they planned for security for 500,000. They had to keep calling in more security to eventually cover 2 million – without one Nazi sign. It was inspiring to see determined people in wheelchairs. I was on crutches and everyone encouraged me and helped every step of the way. People were constantly bumping into each other due to the crowd and they always said “excuse me.” It was wonderful to see all races and ages represented in the rally. We tried to leave it cleaner than when we arrived.

Ten thousand came from swing state Ohio. Can you imagine how many people came from Obama’s “56″ other states? Conservatives don’t have fuzzy math like Obama. Huge crowds gathered all around the state to watch the rally together, if they could not make the trip. Ohioans are getting involved locally and running for office. These protests are changing the political landscape and dropping his poll numbers.

We are making a difference and waking people up one person at a time. That is why they are trying to ignore us. It is the only reason they would suppress free speech and a free press.

I spoke to a man who was once involved in the Weather Underground, no joke. I said, “What changed you mind?” He said, “I got a job.” I met two women who could not wait to leave this “terrible” country to help poor people abroad and change the world. They returned here within two years as staunch conservatives. There is hope. Liberals do not want hope; they are afraid of it.

On the way home, we took turns going to the front of the bus to tell each other over the microphone why we came and our experience of the event. It was very powerful and emotional. One of our fellow passengers broke her leg. Another passenger, an 81 year old legal immigrant from Germany had to taken to the hospital during the march. We even converted our bus driver to our cause. The protests allow us to wake people up.

It was one of the most amazing and wonderful parts of my life to preserve freedom. I hope we can now highlight through with videos the diversity of the great speeches. Joe Wilson was the winner of the day and the czars were the losers. Please get involved because silence is consent.

HellCat on September 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM

ACORN selling Gadsen flags at the 9/12 rally.

ms on September 14, 2009 at 2:40 AM

wow. NPS spokesman saying it’s the “largest event ever”
Wow. that’s got to have some legs this week!
9/12 Hefty Hefty Heft
Obama’s MN Speech: Wimpy Wimpy Wimpy
ted c on September 13

May be not. The same quote apparently was used at the Obama Ignog

DSchoen on September 14, 2009 at 3:23 AM

I just read this crap at gateway. CNN is truly a joke–”the racial undertones” of the tea party movement. I hate to be profane—but those motherf##@ers! Seriously, there’s got to be some sane person in that newsroom who’s telling them, “Hey guys, maybe these dumb teabaggers are just protesting higher spending & taxes and all that stuff.” I’m sure that’s when the guy get’s a pink slip and is told to get the hell out of here and go work at fox you fascist.

EMR on September 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM

NOTE TO
ED MORRISSEY AND ALLAHPUNDIT

In case you haven’t done it already,
CONTACT THE National Park Service spolesman and GET THE “exclusive interview” INFO FROM HIM YOURSELF

Lockstein13 on September 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM

another good video

Lockstein13 on September 14, 2009 at 5:55 AM

Opening segments on Morning Joe, first, from Reagan library on West Coast and, second, from New York.

9/12 gathering? What 9/12 gathering?

For that matter, ACORN dropped from Census gathering? What?

BuckeyeSam on September 14, 2009 at 6:14 AM

OT: Third shoe drops on ACORN–New York City.

BuckeyeSam on September 14, 2009 at 6:27 AM

Folks, use the media ostrich act to our advantage. Talked to several people in Maryland yesterday, who didn’t even know there WAS a march on Washington. I told them about the crowd I personally saw from the Capitol steps to the Washington Monument. Told them that it seemed at least as big as the Inauguration. Then asked them, “Why do you suppose you never heard of it? Do you think the media you watch is hiding the truth from you? What other news are you missing? Maybe you should get on the Internet or listen to Rush or Glenn Beck or watch Fox news!” The light started to dawn.

Christian Conservative on September 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM

This was on FOX a little while ago. FOX gets another scoop!

lovingmyUSA on September 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Did any of the HotAir folks meet each other while in D.C.?

Cindy Munford on September 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I’ll put a different perspective on this. My wife and I drove across the state to catch a bus at Boynton Beach. Over 50 on our bus and, other than my wife, none of them had ever heard of Hot Air. They had all heard of Drudge. They all seemed well informed. Many (severeal “geezers”) follow different folks on Twitter (I personally do not). This little corner of the Net is a very tiny fraction of the news sources available and I was very surprised to see that many older people to “technically” informed.

Why Fox News seems to be sticking with the WaPo number of “tens of thousands” is curious.

CC

CapedConservative on September 14, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Did any of the HotAir folks meet each other while in D.C.?

Cindy Munford on September 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM

my thoughts exactly…is Txmomof3 back online yet?

was at a nat’l GOP women’s conf in orlando over the weekend, when they told us that ABC was reporting that 2 million folks were at the rally, you never saw such a ruckus in that room…tears of joy and lots of whooping and hollering…

cmsinaz on September 14, 2009 at 7:56 AM

CC

CapedConservative on September 14, 2009 at 7:50 AM

You need to understand that the Washington Post’s “tens of thousands” estimate is a huge concession. Usually for groups they don’t like they will suggest that the protest fell flat with only a few disorganized groups of disgruntled pathetic malcontents showing up. That didn’t happen this time. The coverage in yesterday’s paper was condescending but it was fairly extensive for the WaPo.

Slightly OT but did you hear David Axlerod’s comment from yesterday? He dismissed the protesters as “wrong” meaning, I guess the White House is still operating in the “I won so STFU” mode. Somehow I don’t think Congress sees things the same way. Each of those tens of thousands citizens represents a vote unhappy with the status quo. If I were a member of the DC political class, I’d be waking up in a cold sweat over these protests.

highhopes on September 14, 2009 at 7:57 AM

Did any of the HotAir folks meet each other while in D.C.?

Cindy Munford on September 13, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I cut and pasted the HotAir logo on my signs, but no one noticed or mentioned it. But hey, there was at least a million people there so it would have been somewhat hard to run into fellow HotAir nut. But the camaraderie among all the tea partiers was wonderful. On the way in to DC on the Metro and on the way out. (By the way, don’t let the trolls convince you of empty subways: we tried to change trains near the heart of DC and the trains came by so loaded with tea partiers they didn’t even take people in. The crowds waiting for the trains were cheering and giving all the crowds inside the trains a thumbs up. They all waved back! It was a thrill to see so many like-minded patriots.)

Christian Conservative on September 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Folks, use the media ostrich act to our advantage. Talked to several people in Maryland yesterday, who didn’t even know there WAS a march on Washington. I told them about the crowd I personally saw from the Capitol steps to the Washington Monument. Told them that it seemed at least as big as the Inauguration. Then ask them, “Why do you suppose you never heard of it? Do you think the media you watch is hiding the truth from you? What other news are you missing? Maybe you should get on the Internet or listen to Rush or Glenn Beck or watch Fox news!” The light started to dawn.

Christian Conservative on September 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM

My thoughts exactly.

p.s. Sorry I missed you when you were here. Next time ’round!

Lockstein13 on September 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM

tetriskid on September 14, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Loved the video! The ugly face of Acorn. how true!

becki51758 on September 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Willie on September 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Great line, Willie.

This is the “Politics of Policy Destruction”.

Great line…..

Saltysam on September 14, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I hope the trolls and media keeps downplaying the numbers.

joshlbetts on September 13, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Big Media is forcing me to make sure I get my ass to the next march. I’ll start saving now.

That’s all they’re accomplishing with their political machinery.

They think they can demoralize the movement with this type of crap?

What fools.

All they are doing is adding fuel to the fire.

Saltysam on September 14, 2009 at 8:42 AM

p.s. Sorry I missed you when you were here. Next time ’round!

Lockstein13 on September 14, 2009 at 8:24 AM

Sorry we didn’t link up. We yelled as we were leaving: “Don’t make us come back here!” But we knew we’d be back! See you next year if not sooner (Lord willing).

Christian Conservative on September 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM

The protest was a huge success.

However, the National Park Service quote cannot be true (the “largest event ever”). I was in DC in 1976 for the Bicentennial celebration. Now THAT was a crowd!

keebs on September 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. My group came from Ocean City/Salisbury, Maryland – got there about 10:45 and went straight to Union Station and walked down to the Capitol from there. People were already there from the march down PA Avenue that we were told wasn’t supposed to even begin until 11:00 or so – there were so many people at Freedom Plaza by 10:00 that they told them to start marching. My favorite part was the speaker who said “Mr. President – on Wednesday night you called us out – well – HERE WE ARE – HERE WE ARE – I LOVED that.

BTW – I called our organizer Friday night to see if there was room on any of the busses for one more – and was told he had turned away a busload of people in the last two days (do you think that might have had something to do with Beck’s reporting on ACORN?) God bless that man.

Carol in MD on September 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM

For the best view, check out the video at http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2009/09/sophia_elenas_t.html

To to about the 3:23 mark and check out the scan around the side streets, down Constitution Ave., down the Mall. The people extend all the way to the buildings in the background. Every nook and cranny. Yep… thousands, maybe even tens of thousands. I think the unauguration was several hundred and maybe even thousands also.

CC

CapedConservative on September 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Yet according to Charles Johnson at LGF:

We’ve now heard from shills for the tobacco industry, shills for the coal industry, and a shill for the insurance industries.

Remember, though — this is a grassroots event.

pseudonominus on September 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM

HellCat on September 14, 2009 at 1:06 AM

You must have gone to another rally. Plenty of Nazi signs. Here are a couple:

Not that it’s shocking–there were plenty of similar signs at my local healthcare townhall. Gather up 60,000 angry people and Nazi signs will come out no matter the topic.

jonknee on September 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

jonknee on September 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Yep… sure are… all ANTI-NAZI the way I see it. Just labeling them for what they are.

CC

CapedConservative on September 14, 2009 at 11:10 AM

jonknee on September 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

You work so hard to be the absolute moral authority™.

Is it worth it? I mean being spineless, is it really worth it?

daesleeper on September 14, 2009 at 11:20 AM

According to USAToday’s Crowd-Size Estimator, the 9/12 Demonstration Drew Over One Million Citizens–from Ace

Haunches on September 14, 2009 at 11:28 AM

EMR on September 14, 2009 at 3:47 AM

That really is disgusting. We had our local tea party yesterday (scheduling conflicts at the state Capitol prevented it from being on 9/12) here in OKC, about 3,000 people showed up in the rain. The MC was a very impressive young African American gentleman, who received lots of applause and cheers. He spoke about why he is a conservative, and what kind of country he wants for his young daughter (who is home-schooled). His wife spoke about being a Democrat who had gradually become disenchanted with the Democrat party, and planned to change her party affiliation, she got a lot of applause as well. We had a LEGAL immigrant from Britain, he has an application for citizenship pending, and spoke about what it meant to him to become an American citizen, there were lots of cries of “Welcome” during his talk. There were no racist overtones or undertones, or any kind of tones. Just patriotic people wanting to stop the slide into socialism that is currently taking place in this country. I couldn’t be at the DC rally on 9/12, but from what I’ve read and the pictures I’ve seen, the atmosphere was very similar to what I experienced here in OKC. I guess if you can’t debate the issue, just cry racism.

mbs on September 14, 2009 at 12:02 PM

CapedConservative on September 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Comment on Moonbattery’s site:

“Obama was just on 60 Minutes (it was on at the restaurant my family and I were eating dinner at after church) and he dismissed the Tea Partiers as a mere circus act and cast Rep Wilson in the same light.

Some would call this arrogance but Chairman Zero is trying to downplay the unadulterated fear he and his fellow Marxists are feeling.

There was 60+ people in the restaurant with TV in all the dining areas set to CBS. The booing and the cat calling got the manager to change the channels toot sweet.

Out of the 60 booing were at least 7 black and hispanic families.”

lovingmyUSA on September 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM

My husband and I were there with two friends. When you go to sports games, you see tens of thousands of people. A mere ‘tens of thousands’ doesn’t stretch from around the Capitol steps (where we were), down to the pool by the Botanical Gardens, around the pool, stretching down toward the archives with everyone packed tightly. That’s not ‘tens of thousands’.

We just got back late last night and haven’t had a chance to download our pics; I’ll post a link to my blogsite when I upload them.

linlithgow on September 14, 2009 at 12:23 PM

jonknee on September 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Am I misunderstanding the context of your comment? The NAZI signs were not in support of it, but rather labeling those who behave as NAZI’s.

csdeven on September 14, 2009 at 2:11 PM

csdeven on September 14, 2009 at 2:11 PM

The statement posted was that the protest was, “without one Nazi sign”. That was an untrue statement–there were hundreds of signs with Nazi symbols and verbiage. Whether they were pro-Nazi (which is unlikely outside of a neo-Nazi rally) or calling our elected leaders Nazis (which is silly, but in this case what they were doing) is beside the point.

It’s just as silly as the protesters during the past 8 years that called Bush a Nazi. They weren’t supporting Nazis either. Godwin’s law come to life.

jonknee on September 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Nazi: “National Socialist Party”

Haunches on September 14, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Gateway Pundit has the best comparison for the numbers question I have seen. They use a old ME picture graph that was trodded out to show the revolutionary turnout for the inaugural.

Keep in mind that for the inaugural that roadway was center clear for the final parade in the pres limo, so even the estimates would be not counting a 40′ swath right down center that in the 9-12 tea party was shoulder to shoulder.

Using the ME’s own tools against them means either back during the inaugural they purposely put up propaganda false data or they are know currently trying to discredit a real movement with false data and propaganda their own prior tools of judgement show otherwise? Which is it ME?
hattip gateway pundit

C-Low on September 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM

It is REAL easy to find out how many people were there. Get the estimate from Fox News, add it to the estimate from MSNBC, divide it by 2 … there is your number.

Monkei on September 14, 2009 at 4:16 PM

I find the best way to determine the DC rally attendance is to take the London Daily Mail estimate of 2 million and multiply it or divide it by Monkei’s IQ. Either way the product or quotient remains the same. Two million.

viking01 on September 14, 2009 at 5:22 PM

A friend and I attended the Rally, flying in from Illinois. It was unbelievably thrilling to be there; a real historic moment. I think that Obama’s helicopter flew over as he was going or coming — he knows how many of us despise his policies.

Below is link to a good photo of the crowd to give you some idea of the numbers; even that doesn’t do justice to the number of people there, because there were more behind the camera. I believe that CNN reported a crowd of about 10,000. Is is any wonder that their viewership is the lowest of the news stations? Of course, CNN is one English language station available around the world, so their “story” is what the world knows. Luckily, the Daily Mail in England had a picture that showed the enormity of the turnout.

I don’t think that the ground crews had to do much clean-up afterward; unlike the sea of debris left by Obama’s supporters after the Inauguration. One woman in the airport, an employee, asked if we were at the march and when we told her how clean it was left, she said that after the Inauguration even the Metro stations were filled with garbage. She said that she saw someone drop something in the station and she said, “Don’t you want to pick that up?” The answer, “No, someone will clean it up.” She said that the crews must have worked all night to do that because in the morning the station she used was cleaned. She thanked the workers for the enormous task they accomplished.

The people assembled were plenty angry at the attempt to shove Socialism down our throats at break-neck speed. However, the people were friendly, helpful, and happy to be able to stand in our capitol and sing songs of blessing on our country; to listen to speakers who are proud to be Americans. We all traveled on our own dime, made our own signs, and walked our legs off getting to and from events to the metro stations.

The people of Washington were very helpful, even the metro personnel who had to be kept very busy with all the questions of us out-of-towners.

My friend and I spent Friday afternoon visiting the new, to us, war memorials of WW II, Korea, Vietnam. These are our real patriots whose young lives were given so that we are still free to speak our minds.

God bless America!

Margaret McC on September 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM

My husband and I had decided beforehand that we would help in the cleanup so we loaded our luggage with Texas size trashbags. We walked for blocks and blocks looking for trash – I ended up with three small receipts outside of the Museum of Natural History and they looked extremely old and weathered. No one can say we left trash!!! EVER!!!

libertylady on September 14, 2009 at 8:09 PM

What gives, BOR stated the crowd at 70k which means they’ll fit confortably in M%T Bank Stadium. What a bold faced lie.

larvcom on September 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM

That’s scary stuff that RESPONSIBILITY, is it not.

larvcom on September 14, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Haunches on September 14, 2009 at 11:28 AM

The DC Fire Department estimated 75,000.

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Racist.

atheling on September 14, 2009 at 8:45 PM

The DC Fire Department estimated 75,000.

Decider on September 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Of course all unions are credible….cough ACORN, cough.

Google the photo of the DC rally superimposed over the picture of the park service official estimate of over 1.2 million. Your tally is covering just those people in the porta-potties or the paid Acorn volunteers, paid to disrupt the rally. Sorry they were outnumbered by 14-1.

dthorny on September 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

No one can say we left trash!!! EVER!!!

libertylady on September 14, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Oh yes you did, the democrats are still in office in DC…until the 2010 elections that is.

dthorny on September 14, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I was also there and yes, it was awesome, historical, huge, wall to wall people, respectful, and orderly. We also saw trash cans filled to capacity but no trash strewn around. The crowd was friendly and very respectful of property, police and each other. We didn’t see one disrespectful thing happen. We did see a guy that tried very hard to start something, saying that the group waiting for the Johns were “racists”. Instead of arguing, the crowd started chanting. The lines for the Johns were incredible, but orderly and again friendly with people passing TP, encouraging those around and even allowing line jumpers for emergency cases.

katablog.com on September 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Oh yeah, we were told the crowd was 1.5 million at 1:00 pm. And yes, they were streaming from Freedom Square to the US Capitol for well over 3 hours. We sat at the reflection pool and watched. We arrived at Freedom Square at 8:45am. At 10:00am we began walking toward the Capitol and there were thousands before us. We arrive (after a 45 min. wait for the Johns) at the Reflection Pool at about 11:30am and sat there watching the crowds continue to stream in from all directions for at least 2 hours. Many of the buses let people off near the US Capitol instead of Freedom Square because of the huge crowds.

katablog.com on September 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM

dthorny on September 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM

There’s no arial photo of the 9/12 rally though…

katablog.com on September 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM

You were told wrong information. FreedomWorks even admits this:

After 3 sleepless days, a bomb threat that emptied our offices on Friday, and experiencing one of the most overwhelmingly best days for economic freedom and individual liberty I have witnessed in my life, from the stage I cited ABC news estimating the crowd at the March on Washington at 1.5 million. I also said “with all due respect to our friends in mainstream media, we need our own independent head count. Trust but verify.” With a dead IPhone, I had been shown tweets from a number of different folks behind the stage citing the ABC estimate. They didn’t say it. I regret misrepresenting the network, as their coverage that day was fair and honest.

jonknee on September 14, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Say 1 million were there, and another 30 for everyone who was there who wished they could be there. Then add in another 30 for everyone there who has been interested or watching and you have?..

They should be afraid…very afraid!

Nalea on September 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM

While I did not attend this great gathering, it is obvious from the various pictures of the crowd taken at the same time that the numbers exceeded those published by the current administration.

Why is it important to report an accurate number? Because the size represent the feelings of public as a whole. The administration handlers, who live and die by polls, need to downplay the size. Statistically the lower the number, the lower percentage of the total population that agrees with them.

So let’s get it right, or just admit that there are more who disagree with the administration policy than they wish to admit, so it is time to change their course.

MSGTAS on September 15, 2009 at 10:42 AM