Shuster urges caution on abortion shooter’s motive, then blames Joe Wilson’s outburst on racism

posted at 7:41 pm on September 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Magnifique, even by the lofty standards of MSNBC. You’re going to get that 10 p.m. show yet, Dave. From his Twitter feed this afternoon, extending an achingly scrupulous benefit of the doubt to the nut who did, indeed, have abortion on the brain when he pulled the trigger:

To be clear, the murder of anybody is horrific. But, it’s too early to ascribe a political motivation to the suspect.

And then, an hour or so later, it’s speculation time:

SHUSTER: I’ve heard from so many people the fact that Joe Wilson is from South Carolina – he was part of the Sons of the Confederacy or supported the group, he voted against removing the Confederate flag – that even though we don’t know what was, I suppose, in the heart of Joe Wilson, but it strikes a lot of people as awfully close to the idea that maybe there was some sort of racist or bigoted element there. And especially then when you look up at the picture and you see older white men, all Republicans, sitting there. Just it gives off a strange vibe.

Blowing away an old man known for carrying pro-life signs didn’t give off any vibes? Or at least, none as intense as a guy yelling “you lie”?

Oh, by the way, the “Wilson’s a speed freak” smear has been replaced by the “Wilson’s a racist” smear on the left now, with a group of black newspaper publishers entering the fray to formally bless ye olde playing of the race card. Chuck Todd actually kicked it off this morning with this Shuster-esque exercise in “just asking questions” race-baiting, which makes this the second day in a row that he’s used his blog — transparently — to push lefty talking points about Wilson to the rest of the media. Maybe Shuster and Todd at 10 p.m. instead? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Weisel.

lavell12 on September 11, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Shockah.

alliebobbitt on September 11, 2009 at 7:43 PM

portlandon on September 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM

You seriously have to wonder at time where in the hell MSNBC is finding these knuckleheaded idiots that they have hosting the majority of their news shows.

pilamaye on September 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM

So if you call someone a liar, you are a racist? They think that only liars are black, or only people perceive liars as black, or blacks never tell lies so if you call someone a liar they can’t be black?
I’m sorry, I just don’t get it…how about if we just say he told “a little white lie”…

right2bright on September 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Joker’s Wild!

If the whole deck is stacked with Joker’s, eventually everyone will catch on.
And they are.

donkichi on September 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Indeed.

Weight of Glory on September 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Racisim is the hallmark of the democratic party. It has abandoned white racism of the 19th and 20th centuries for black racism of the 21st century.

William Amos on September 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I actually watched Dave for about three minutes yesterday as he opined that a bunch of white GOP congressmen scowling when a black POTUS gave his speech was indicative of something deeper and more sinister.

Schuster is easily an equal to Olberman in the stupid department. CNN doesn’t seem to yet realize how much their network is harmed by having morons like him talking about anything.

Bishop on September 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

MSNBC

The Obama Network …… 24/7

fogw on September 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

MSNBC, not CNN. Da**it.

Bishop on September 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Masks are slipping everywhere.

Weight of Glory on September 11, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Hey Shuster try this quote:

“The defendant was offended by the manner of Mr. Pouillon’s message.”

right2bright on September 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Shuster’s Theme Song (and Chris Matthews… and Olby… and all of them)
Sung to Dear Leader

Shameless by Billy Joel

Well I’m shameless
When it comes to loving you
I’d do anything you want me to
I’d do anything at all

And I’m standin
Here for all the world to see
There ain’t that much left of me
That has very far to fall

You know I’m not a man who’s ever been
Insecure about the world I’ve been livin in
I don’t break easy
I have my pride
But if you need to be satisfied

I’m shameless
Baby I don’t have a prayer
Anytime I see you standing there
I go down upon my knees

And I’m changin
Swore I’d never compromise
But you convinced me otherwise
I’ll do anything you please

You see in all my life
I’ve never found
What I couldn’t resist, what I couldn’t turn down
I could walk away from anyone I ever knew
But I can’t walk away from you

I have never let anything have this much control over me
I worked too hard to call my life my own
I made myself a world, and it worked so perfectly
But it’s your world now, I can’t refuse
I’ve never had so much to lose

Well I’m shameless…

You know it should be easy for a man who’s strong
To say he’s sorry or admit when he’s wrong
I never lost anything I ever missed
But I’ve never been in love like this
It’s out of my hands

I’m shameless
I don’t have the power now
But I don’t want it anyhow
So I’ve got to let it go

I’m shameless
Shameless as a man should be
You could make a total fool of me
I just wanted you to know

I am shameless
Shameless…

PrincipledPilgrim on September 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

talking to themselves, its doesn’t work anymore.

rob verdi on September 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Can I tell you how SICK I am of jerk-offs playing the race card? It’s about the policies stupid.

txag92 on September 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I think Shuster is actually the worst of them all at MSNBC. Keith used to be it, but he’s so cartoonish it diminishes his hatefulness. Shuster is more slimy.

Emily M. on September 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM

It’s not like Wilson called the Usurper a lying N@#!@r.
I might have but I despise the liar and chief.

larvcom on September 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM

NOOOOOOO! NOT THE RACE CARD! We are defenseless against it, my precious! The great masses of people will automatically latch onto it as truth and we will be DOOMED! XP

Orange Doorhinge on September 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Oh for Chrisake, right now Obama is doing pretty damn well to get 50/50 on his approval numbers, does that mean all those people who are disapproving of Obama are racists?

Pathetic.

Terrye on September 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM

So no real clue ..or its still to early to tell the motivation on the pro-life demonstrator getting shot. But because a guy has a clean haircut and an (R) he is a racist speed freak?
There should come a point soon when the hypocrisy is just to blatent and much to bear one would think.

Koa on September 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM

txag92 on September 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM

With you there, Aggie…

Upstater85 on September 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM

When you become an obvious political hack and propaganda outlet for a single politician and the Democrat party in general…

… how does that effect your broadcast license?

Just askin’…

Seven Percent Solution on September 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM

“racism” is the Left’s response to anything right now.
From my local rag, Toledo Blade :

“The unwanted change that occurs after losing an election stokes brooding and sometimes irrational fear about what will come next. The loathing is reserved for all perceived agents of unwanted change, not the least of whom is a liberal president who happens to be black.

Make no mistake, racism, not-so-thinly disguised as socialism, fascism, Nazism, or Hitler comparisons, is driving the derision of anything White House-related. Clearly the spectacle of rejecting anything coming from this President was on stark display Tuesday with the contrived controversy foisted upon some public schools.”

Marilou Johanek
mjohanek@theblade.com

It’s like they all got the same memo from Rahm Emanuel & David Axelrod.

Dissent is no longer patriotic, it is racist.

rbj on September 11, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I swear if I saw some guy punching out Schuster, I would step in and try to stop it.

Eventually.

Patrick S on September 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Mindless and silly media nonsense. Those who allege racism are racists.

BottomLine5 on September 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Seven Percent Solution on September 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Jeff Immelt is just giving Obama his money’s worth so he can stay on track for all that ‘green energy’ and ObamaCare sole source contracts he’ll be hauling in…

AUINSC on September 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM

… how does that effect your broadcast license?

Seven Percent Solution on September 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM

At this point, I hope this means they can clone him and have 10 shows with him on it… Seriously, let CNN, MSNBC, et al fight over which network is going to choke on it’s own vomit first.

At least with the blatantly progressive point of view, America will get to see just what their current Administration believes… applied…

Upstater85 on September 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Good lord . . . Shuster is a mush brain moron than makes me throw up in my mouth.

rplat on September 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Schuster moans that this is an effort to besmirch his god like cult of personality.

Obama doing a good job at that all by himself.
He doesn’t need our help.

Kini on September 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Shuster should be KING of the Morally Suspect Media and deserves IMMEDIATE PROMOTION to host the NBC Nightly News… His potential is being wasted on MSNBC… GE and NBC are misusing a most valuable asset…

Khun Joe on September 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Eventually.

Patrick S on September 11, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Naw… do it immediately, then you can tell your friends how a dirty racist, zionist con saved his arse…

Upstater85 on September 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM

txag92 on September 11, 2009 at 7:47 PM
With you there, Aggie…

Upstater85 on September 11, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Me, too. TN was called racist because we elected another white guy as our last Senator, as opposed to the minority who ran against him.

Couldn’t possibly have been that big fat “D” after his name or anything, could it? Or the fact that, while nothing ever touched the candidate, his father, aunt and uncle were all career state politicians who had problems with legal boundries?

Naw…it’s because we’re racist!

Give me a GOP candidate like J.C. Watts and watch how fast I push the button beside his name.

ladyingray on September 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Emily M. on September 11, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Yep, Schuster is definitely more sleazy while Olber is just a clown. Davey would love to have his own show so he is attempting to be even more of a leftist douchebag than anyone thought possible.

Bishop on September 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Schuster is a Nerdy looking, glib, totally unlikable, goof. He’s been ratings kryptonite and is now saddled with a moron co-host bured in middays. That’s what you get for trying to impress the Kos Kidz everyday.

AYNBLAND on September 11, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Schuster, you lie!!!!!!!!!

ultracon on September 11, 2009 at 7:57 PM

The 10 p.m. slot? Heck, they should give him two hours for this stuff.

Best guess is that when Ed “I know nothing” Schultz is show the door, Shuster will get another shot.

They’ve got zero standards over at MSNBC. Anybody can say whatever they want at anytime. News anchor, commentator, opinion maker, reporter – they’re all the same. Just wing it.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the standard now for all the networks. Just say whatever pops into your head.

SteveMG on September 11, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Someone take away that guy’s “jump to conclusions” mat.

Scrappy on September 11, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Police have already alerted federal investigators and are possibly going to charge the guy with a hate crime–yes, it was politically motivated, he was offended by the Pro-Life signs.

Enoxo on September 11, 2009 at 7:59 PM

This is good. Let it all hang out here. They’re on board this ship to the bitter, bitter end and as the pressure builds they are becoming more and more desperate. These cards only work when people are indifferent and/or uniformed about what is going on. They work quite well then, but that’s not going to work now. People are pissed off. There is a white hot passion about what the government is doing and this only makes the media’s role in this all the more clear.

stldave on September 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Why can’t MSNBC hire a straight guy?

bill30097 on September 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM

do you think the shooter will claim the NoDoz defense?

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Sorry, but I can’t bring myself to click on the video. But I know the drill: anyone who disagrees with Obamacare is a racist. I just wonder: what was my motive when I opposed Hillary-care?

LASue on September 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Once again Alinsky tactics in action. Pick the target, frame it…

Q: HAS ANYONE SAID SAID JOE WILSON LIED?

dthorny on September 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM

We have to take the weapon of name calling away from the left. I’m going to wear a shirt that says; “Racist, Nazi, Tea Bagging, Gun Loving Homophobe.”
Screw ‘em!

Star20 on September 11, 2009 at 8:05 PM

MSNBC gets 99.8 % of the Eunuch audience,and 99.9% of the Cuckold audience.

theTarCzar on September 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM

So if Shuster thinks ‘you lie’ is a racist remark against a black man…by his own logic doesn’t that mean he thinks all black people are liars?

James on September 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM

By the way on Drudge ,fox crushed the competition again.

theTarCzar on September 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM

‘he was part of the Sons of the Confederacy or supported the group, he voted against removing the Confederate flag’

Does anyone know if this is true?

rjl1999 on September 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Well, I just received this vommit inducing email that is full of lies:

I just finished laying out my plan for health reform at a joint session of Congress. Now, I’m writing directly to you because what happens next is critical — and I need your help.

Change this big will not happen because I ask for it. It can only come when the nation demands it. Congress knows where I stand. Now they need to hear from you.

Add your voice: Ask your representatives to support my plan for real health reform in 2009.

The heart of my plan is simple: bring stability and security to Americans who already have health insurance, guarantee affordable coverage for those who don’t, and rein in the cost of health care.

Tonight, I offered a specific plan for how to make it happen. I incorporated the best ideas from Democrats and Republicans to create a plan that’s bold, practical, and represents the broad consensus of the American people.

We’ve come closer to real health reform in the last few months than we have in the last 60 years. But those who profit from the status quo — and those who put partisan advantage above all else — will fight us every inch of the way.

We do not seek that fight, but we will not shrink from it. The stakes are too high to let scare tactics cloud the debate, or to allow partisan bickering to block the path. Your voice, right now, is essential.

See my full plan and call on your representatives to support it:

Ours is not the first generation to understand the dire need for health reform. And I am not the first president to take up this cause, but I am determined to be the last.

President Barack Obama

txag92 on September 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM

NO LIE! SC’s Wilson Rakes In $750,000 in Less Than 48 Hours…
Hires new-media strategist…

Me thinks Joe the Wilson might just speak up more in the future. Just a gue$$.

Geochelone on September 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM

LASue on September 11, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I quit long ago. I can’t stomach hearing their wining racist cat calls. If there is a transcript I might read it, but I have heard them enough times to know the drill. UGH

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM

You’ve got to be kidding me.

Y-not on September 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Instead of racism could it be that Obama really is a liar? Could it be that simple?

d1carter on September 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM

In the same way Wilson somehow trashed the Republican Party with his outburst, this shooter trashed the baby killing Left’s claim that only right-wing fanatics take up guns in the abortion issue.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Me thinks Joe the Wilson might just speak up more in the future. Just a gue$$.

Geochelone on September 11, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I think he just might have started something here…

… Let us see how many more “Joe”s are out there.

Seven Percent Solution on September 11, 2009 at 8:16 PM

I’m sure all 500 people in South Carolina watching this knucklehead now have some food for thought concerning their upcoming electoral choices.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM

The headline alone…
Indicates I should and dictates I must say… Hypocrisy personified…

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I was not aware anyone watched MSNBC…I thought they dwindled to insignificance when Laura Ingraham left years ago…

JIMV on September 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Wilson’s official biography lists him as a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. As a state senator, he voted against a bill to remove the Confederate flag from atop the South Carolina Statehouse and move it to a monument on the capitol grounds.

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM

MSNBC is still on the air?

iceman1960 on September 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Shuster needs to read news reports instead of thinking he IS the news. The motive of the shooter is confirmed; no more ‘caution’ needed.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM

“I always expect to see David Schuster crawl out from under Olbermans news desk during commercial breaks. Is it just me?”

Now that you mention it, you rarely see both of their heads above the desk at the same time.. Coincidence? I think not.

DrDeano on September 11, 2009 at 8:25 PM

s

arainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM

And your point is…?

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM

We’re in a strange place when calling a politician a liar is controversial.

Gunhaver on September 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

It’s the guy’s fault for being in front of the bullet.

Opinionnation on September 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

We’re in a strange place when calling a politician a liar is controversial.

Gunhaver on September 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Especially when it is done by another politicial.

thomasaur on September 11, 2009 at 8:32 PM

It’s the guy’s fault for being in front of the bullet.

Opinionnation on September 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM

~falls over laughing~

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM

s

arainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM
And your point is…?

Ummm…me thinks just trying to gain cred…so …in the future…
Yada yada…you saw the same as I did…

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Sorry Liam,
Missed your moniker

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:38 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM

The SC state flag has a crescent on the upper left corner, which is surely code SC is secretly a Muslim nation. So, Wilson is secretly a Muslim, not a Christian, so he can say what he wants with impunity. Criticizing him is therefore Islamaphobic.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Liam,
Am I in a time warp…
Didn’t someone else bring this up months ago…AND…did you just preempt IT…
HEHEHEHEHEHE

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Criminy! Using liberal ‘logic’ gives me a headache. That’s twice today, dagnabbit!

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I was replying to someones questions asking if it were true that he voted against the confederate flag removal. I googled and found that info.

Does anyone know if this is true?
rjl1999 on September 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM

what does that mean?

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM

And do these formula one leftists realize that crying wolf on racism obscures true cries of the same? Either they don’t or they do. Both are frightening.

Liars or reflexive cowards, you end up with the same blood on your hands, fools.

spmat on September 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I gave myself another headache, actually. I really need to stop getting inside liberals’ heads!

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:47 PM

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Confederates are no less American than the rest of us, and NINE of my Clam died at Andersonville, Ga during the Civil War. While that war isn’t a shining spot of our history, it’s a history we have. I find no problem with a person who regards the Confederate flag as an icon of sorts, bu7t I have a boxcar full of issues with someone who can’t let go of a past he or she never lived.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Clam=Clan–my lineage is Scot

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:50 PM

buddy, you are barking up the wrong tree. I was just answering someones question with a goggle search.

whether Wilson voted for the flag or not has nothing to do with the fact that Obama was lying and the Dems are now closing the loophole that would allow illegals to be covered.

I had barely heard of Wilson before Wednesday, and don’t care hoot about him, or his past. I am concerned with the fact that the Dems are trying to smear a guy who was telling the truth.

My family is from Georgia, North Carolina and West Virginia.

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Well… for starters…Is “American girl in Italy” You?

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I apologize to you, then. My family is from NJ mostly, with my mom’s parents coming here from Italy in 1912.

Again, I apologize.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Again, I apologize.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM

You may have been premature…I’m still waiting…

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Then I’m more southern than you buddy! so watch yourself. hahaha ;o)

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM

that depends… do you like American Girl in Italy?

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM

You may have been premature…I’m still waiting…

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM

OK, you obviously have issue with me, what is it?

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:07 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM

If I’m called on my stuff, I have no choice but to do what is right at the moment. Time will tell, but it seems I jumped my gun here.

See what happens to me when I start thinking like a liberal?

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Sheesh. You people just don’t get it. A Southern person honoring his ancestry by being a member of the S.C.V. is clearly racist.

A black person wearing a Dashiki, OTHO? Or celebrating Kwanzaa? Or being a member of the NAACP? Whoa, I’d better stop right there, or I’ll be getting off into some moral equivalences which could wind up being interpreted as totally Racist.

Wow. I need to go watch MSNBC some more and get my priorities back in order, or get the brain-bleach applied, or whatever it is they do to their addicts.

Heh.

jefferson101 on September 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 8:55 PM

that depends… do you like American Girl in Italy?

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:05 PM

ahahahaha…answer the question…
My point is…are you talking to yourself…maybe…

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:05

Wiseass…
~really disarming smile here~

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM

btw sara,
it’s ok…let us be on a level that can be identified…
Don’t hide…

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:08 PM

am I talking to myself? you are confusing me completely. I visit HA daily, and love this site. I don’t get the weird reaction… one click on my name will tell you who I am.

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Shuster….sound GERMAN….you know…kinda threatening. Not making any accusations. He got any JEWISH friends? Again, just saying….you know….asking questions.

What a hoser. Guess that’s a requirement to work at MSNBC.

GarandFan on September 11, 2009 at 9:14 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:11 PM

How am I hiding?

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I bet Rep.Wilson doesn’t even own any rap music! How racist!

jack herman on September 11, 2009 at 9:16 PM

one click on my name will tell you who I am.

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Exactly my point…I did click…do you get paid for that?

Who is “American Girl in Italy”…Is that you?

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Who cares what this putz says. What does he have, like 8 people tuning him in?

Jeff from WI on September 11, 2009 at 9:20 PM

s

arainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:14 PM

You just went into my Cool Book.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM

jerrytbg on September 11, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Do I get paid? I wish! I am sitting in italy, at 3am, blogging, and chatting on FB. yes i am AGII. it says so on my blog.

sarainitaly on September 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Can I make a cash withdrawal?
hehe