Project 2996: Remembering the lost of 9/11

posted at 8:46 am on September 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Eight years ago today at this very moment, the first of four hijacked planes hit the World Trade Center, setting off  a day of death and destruction and awakening America to the real threat of radical Islamist terrorism.  The individual victims often get forgotten in the enormity of the loss of 2,996 men, women and children, and perhaps there’s a reason for that.  The horror of each individual loss would likely overwhelm us if we thought about it all of the time, if we think about the deaths each of them endured, simply because they lived in America and murderous nutcases hated them for it.

On the eighth anniversary of 9/11, we need to remember each of the victims as people, and Project 2996 helps us do that.  Bloggers will write memorials today for each of the people lost on that terrible day.   I have the honor of remembering Cesar Garcia, 36 years old, who worked for Marsh & McLennan on the 96th floor of North Tower, WTC 1.  In fact, Cesar worked in the impact zone, where American Flight 11 hit the North Tower, and Cesar may have been one of the first tower casualties in a bloody day.  Marsh & McLennan lost 295 people that day, second only to Cantor Fitzgerald, which lost 658 employees.

We know Cesar as a victim, but not much about him in life.  Cesar was only a couple of years younger than me, and apparently a success in business, working for a well-respected firm in the World Trade Center in the hub of global trade.  I have no idea how many family members Cesar left behind, what his politics were, whether he was a Yankees or Mets fan.  Like most people in this country, Cesar worked hard and had a normal life, and had no reason to expect it would end violently.

I wish I could tell you more about Cesar personally.  I think, being close to the same age and with both of us working in corporate environments (half a continent apart), we would have found much in common.  We both worked in information technology, for instance, and no one bonds like computer enthusiasts.  Unfortunately, I won’t ever have the chance to know Cesar, and he will never have the opportunity to give us his full contribution — and we are all the poorer for it.

If Cesar survived the initial impact, I suspect I know how he would have spent his final minutes.  Like so many others in those towers, he would have looked for escape, but he also would have looked out for the people around him.  He would have helped the wounded and found the trapped, if he had the chance to do it.  Why do I assume that?  Because so many in the towers did exactly that, trying to help their fellow Americans survive, right up to the last moment of their lives.

I’m sorry I never got to know Cesar Garcia, 36 years old at the time of his murder by lunatics.  I’ll bet he was one hell of a man.  Rest in peace, Cesar.  You are not forgotten.

Addendum: Three years ago, I had the honor of remembering Ysidro Hidalgo-Tejada at Captain’s Quarters.  Not long after posting my memorial, I received a very touching note from Ysidro’s family.  Please read it and remember a very kind and loving father whose children have a large, painful gap in their lives to this day.

Comments

BradSchwartze on September 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

So you’re equating 1 nutjob to 15 million people who live in the greater NY and SF area and continually undermine the efforts of the military, the CIA, etc. You make no sense amigo.

angryed on September 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM

THIS IS A MEMORIAL SERVICE.

Be reverent now.

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

It has sounded like a Wellstone Funeral at times.

thomasaur on September 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM

angryed on September 11, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Please STFU. Go spew elsewhere. This is not the time of place for your hateful BS!

Laura in Maryland on September 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM

OK you all be reverent and love thy liberal neighbor. Keep bringing water pistols to a gunfight while your opponent brings cannons. Some people will never learn.

angryed on September 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM

angryed on September 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM

And take your nasty white bedsheets with you when you go.

Laura in Maryland on September 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM

LevStrauss on September 11, 2009 at 10:29 AM

You should have saved your stuff for another time, another thread. I would have gladly discussed with you then.
You’re out of line here, off base with the way you showed yourself. I want you banned. I may not get that, which is okay. But expect me to post a smack to you every time I see you after today.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM

Hear, Hear!

TXUS on September 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM

And take your nasty white bedsheets with you when you go.

Laura in Maryland on September 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM

Oh I get it. I don’t like Obama so I am a KKK member. Check.

angryed on September 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 10:54 AM

So much sorrow. It’s so hard to give up someone so precious to you.

I contrast this with the extremists who put their children and wives in front of them to absorb the bullets for them. This form of extremism is truly a brainwashed, depraved mentality that leads to the total disregard for human life.

I hadn’t realized until the other day where the “Let’s roll” phrase was made well-known. Then somebody jogged my memory, that those were the last words before the Flight 93 heroes confronted the terrorists. The willingness to do whatever was necessary to preserve precious life, even if it cost their own, was truly beautiful. It’s a picture of heaven. Heaven and hell fought on that plane. Though everyone on that plane died, Heaven won that battle. Hate was able to bite heels, but it was never able to crush love, which won instead.

These thugs can fight us and even kill us, but they can never defeat us. Love always wins; it’s the only thing to survive the grave.

justincase on September 11, 2009 at 11:15 AM

not everyone who died at WTC was a liberal
not everyone affected in the tri state area is a liberal

and it doesnt matter

people jumped from 100 stories up, and party ID didn’t matter.

blatantblue on September 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

His last place of residence was, AFAIK, Junction City, Kansas, a quintessential Great Plains state. I’m just stating that if you’re going to write off NY and SF as “not really America,” then I can merely state that many states have anti-American skeletons in their closets.

BradSchwartze on September 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM

I don’t agree with the guy you are arguing with one bit. But you do know that McVeigh was originally from Buffalo, right?

LevStrauss on September 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

. . . . .By that time we could already see the smoke rising from the Pentagon and his boss was telling us that there was another plane in the air heading for Washington and we should get the hell out of there. We stopped in the conference room just long enough for me to grasp that there was now a giant hole in the ground in Manhattan and maybe 50,000 people were dead. . . . .

We did not get home until almost 2:00 p.m. and I had not seen any of the footage of the planes hitting the WTC. It was beyond horrible and I was shaking all afternoon.

I remember going to the grocery and the Washington Post had put out a rare afternoon edition covering the attacks. The lead editorial was simply titled, “War.” And we knew it was.

rockmom on September 11, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Thank you very much for sharing that.

and we forget how many more could have died that day, if it wasn’t for the brave souls (police, firefighters and everyday people and co-workers) who helped people evacuate and tended to those injured.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

And all the doctors and nurses and rescue squads and EMTs.

God bless them all.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Politics and the horrible tragedy of 9/11

This tragedy drives the left nuts. As usual they ignore reality and the stories that don’t fit their weird aganda.

To wit:

Hear anybody talk about Ayers (You know, The One’s friend, oh that is right just a guy from the neighborhood) and his comments on 9/11?

A comment that a president would certainly be very moved and perhaps be owned by the event such as this. And an overvigilance for other attacks could lead to a leader’s decision concerning other threats or issues that were not the best choices by hindsight? Of course, this presupposes that the leader wasn’t awash in guilt over all the flaws in the United States that he learned from his schools and friends.

A review of Vice President’s Cheney comments regarding why we had no further attacks.

And forget Van Jones. They attack the forces that got him fired. A marxist blowhard conman with a deck of race cards from Harvard, excuse me, Yale Law School? Why he should be President! Or do we already have one?

That is it. The left needs American villains to attack America. In Viet Nam it was US leaders, conservatives and soldiers (well, except soldiers who confessed their sins, like Kerry). And I can tell you that many Vets suffered because of their stereotypes. Somehow the guilt of what they did to these guys never flows back to the media for creating thses victims. Discussions are always framed on “how America treated the returning soldiers”. And who gave America that attitude?

Today it is more difficult. All they have is the Bush admistration, conservatives and people involved in jailing and interrogating prisoners. So far, they don’t even have films of burning villages. I think that attacking the troops in the field on the front today will be coming before we hear a word of credit for the guys who kept us safe.

IlikedAUH2O on September 11, 2009 at 11:18 AM

thomasaur on September 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM

For everything there is a season, a time for everything under the sun.

My story is nothing out of the ordinary.

During my 9/11/01 morning drive, I heard it announced that the Pentagon was under attack. I couldn’t believe it in my mind, but in my bones I felt massive disruption was taking place. I arrived at destination, rushed to find the cable news broadcast to witness in Texas the horrors taking place back East. Devastation, humility and rage made my blood boil and my eyes weep. God rest those souls, some so abruptly taken, but most viciously tortured through death by fire.

And I thank God for the courageous Americans who took on the battle thrust upon them, on the airline, from the ground with firehoses, and all the public servants including our NY Police and Port Authorities, and of course our finest military.

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

The same goes for you. Stop the bickering about who is or isn’t American, on this day of all days.

MadisonConservative on September 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I was just merely pointing out that the anti-American charge can be levied against any number of Americans, from all regions of America.

And please keep in mind that there is absolutely no way to separate the politics from 9/11. Not as long as the Right uses 9/11 as a baseball bat, and not as long as the Left refuses to accept that they now have ownership of 9/11.

BradSchwartze on September 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

That and the time of the attacks. I remember the early estimates were ten thousand plus to tens of thousands complicated by communication problems that made it difficult for survivors to get in touch with family members. Of course though I don’t like the guy, Rudy’s estimate of the dead on that day was spot on, even though he didn’t give a number.

LevStrauss on September 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

An attack on NYC or San Francisco is not an attack on your fellow countrymen. Not sure what they are, but American is not it.

angryed on September 11, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Look, Sport, there are very few people in these or other similar towns who I would agree with or even want to have anything to do with. Nor, I suspect them with me.

But, my original point was that you attack them as in 9/11, you are attacking me and I will do what I can to introduce you to hell for it.

Like them are not, they are my countrymen, if not yours.

Some here are seeking your banishment for your above comment. I’m not there yet, but settle it down, OK?

TXUS on September 11, 2009 at 11:21 AM

justincase on September 11, 2009 at 11:15 AM

So very true. And I noticed the words you used about love defeating hate. “Hate was able to bite heels, but it was never able to crush love, which won instead.”

Genesis 3:15
“And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head,and you will strike his heel.”

Eternal truth. Thank you and God bless you and everyone here.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Sorry I didn’t unquote.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM

And all the doctors and nurses and rescue squads and EMTs.

God bless them all.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Bless them.

/And they did so with the current system that as time marches, authoritarian Leftists would reform into a system that would fail to address a tragedy so well and expediently as these men and women did.

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 11:32 AM

LevStrauss on September 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

That’s right. And while I would never vote for him for President, I will always have affection and love for Rudy, with all his faults, because of how he handled 9/11 and how he still speaks out.

And never forget all the criticism he got years earlier when Rudy wouldn’t allow the terrorist, Arafat, to attend the UN concert or to travel to certain places in the city.

More should have been like him earlier. And lets not even talk about how Obama treats terrorists.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM

There are definitely people in America who are not Americans. We have both foreign AND DOMESTIC enemies. We also have people who are just uninformed or stupid and don’t know that they’re a hindrance to the fabric of America.

San Francisco isn’t a team player when it releases criminals rather than let anybody know that the criminal is here illegally. That’s harboring an enemy.

When Berkeley makes ordinances to make sure that our country’s money for military recruitment will be wasted, that’s a forcible act against this country and her taxpayers.

When Chicago Annenburg Challenge spends money training public school teachers to tell their black students that they are not American because they’re black, that’s an affront to every one of us who pays taxes that end up funding those public schools in Chicago.

We do have enemies. Angry Ed, you’re right in that we can’t just sing Kum Ba Yah and forget the so-called “American” people who would happily slice this country to bits.

But we need to be careful not to paint with too broad a brush. Most liberals are just deceived. A person can be American – and even morally decent – even if they are stupid or deceived. And there’s time enough for us to fight AND grieve the good people who are stuck in an evil place as well as the ignorant people who just don’t have a clue about reality – largely because of the education and media they’ve been stuck with.

I think most people here are just asking for space to do the mourning and honoring. Before and after that time we can continue the battle.

I think America

justincase on September 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM

BTW-Why isn’t the Pres in New York today. He can take his angry wife to New York for dinner but can’t be there for 9-11 ceremonies.

rjoco1 on September 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM

caught that parallel as well, visualization remembered from the Mel Gibson recreation of Passion.

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I feel the same way about Rudy. He gets some things wrong, like McCain, but he knows and loves the fabric of America.

He was also the one who identified that Cloward-Piven was targeting NY for destruction through the welfare system. He had it pegged. Thank God he was able to thwart that immediate threat.

One of the things I don’t like is that elections force us to always be pitting people against each other in order to choose one above the other. It ends up causing us to focus on where we differ rather than on the really, really important things we all hold to. The Republican Convention last year was so cool because the former opponents came together to affirm the things we do cherish and would live and die for, together.

justincase on September 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

For those with strong enough nerves, Atlas Shrugs has a series of excellent 9-11 posts.

I’ll fault no one who ‘passes’ on it, today.

Be warned, they’re not pulling ANY punches.

CPT. Charles on September 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I honor Heather Lee Smith.

She was the daughter of old friends. She was on Flight 11. She was supposed to leave on her business trip the day before but for reasons even her fiance never knew – she decided to leave on stand-by on the 11th. Kissed her snoozing fiance goodbye, caught a cab and went to Logan Airport.

And that’s it – 8 years of lost memories and experiences for her family and friends. It’s a howling, gaping void that will never be filled or ever be diminished.

I feel sadness mixed with rage. It’s an uncomfortable day for me and it should be. This is not a day that should pass in peace.

We must remember them – all of them.

KrisinNE on September 11, 2009 at 11:56 AM

justincase on September 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I agree with everything you said.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 12:03 PM

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM

That was so cool in the movie when Jesus stood up and crushed that serpent under His foot.

And Jim Caviezel played Jesus beautifully. Watching him suffer in the Garden you could almost feel like you were there. And love wells up in my heart.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 12:05 PM

From an Englishman who loves this country with all his heart and soul, God bless America, all the fallen of 9/11 and all the military who so bravely fight, and have fought, to keep us safe and all of you. I will never ever forget.

Dino64 on September 11, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Thank you, friend.

atheling on September 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I’ll never forget the look on President Bush’s face when he was told the news in that schoolroom. He looked like my mom did when I had to tell her my dad died.

Liam on September 11, 2009 at 9:52 AM

And then the Leftists used that same image for the next 7 years to demonize him. Some even Photoshopped the image to make it appear as if he were holding the book upside down. And Mikey Moore made those few moments the centerpiece of his “movie”, F 9-11.

Haters, all of them.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I’ve reposted my memorial from last year for Harry Blanding Jr at my personal blog itsybitsywriter.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reminder, Ed.

JadeNYU on September 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM

To be fair, where does Debra Burlingame get off shilling for the neocons? Why is her viewpoint more exalted than those who condemn the response to 9/11?

BradSchwartze on September 11, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Oh please, kid, lose the “N” word. It’s so 9/10.

As for Burlingame, her brother was one of the pilots on the hijacked planes.

getalife.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM

One of the many saddest memories for me, were the volunteers making a thousand stretchers for the anticipated victims to be transported to hospitals and none of them were used.

Blake on September 11, 2009 at 12:17 PM

As yet, this is the only 9/11 thread, Ed.

On Sept. 11, 2001, Barack Obama was driving to a state legislative hearing in Chicago when he heard the first sketchy reports of a plane hitting the World Trade Center on his car radio. The 40-year-old state senator spent the afternoon in his law office watching “nightmare images” of destruction and grief unfold on TV.

Within days, he’d issued a statement about what the nation should do next.

Beyond the immediate needs to improve security and dismantle “organizations of destruction,” Obama wrote, lay the more difficult job of “understanding the sources of such madness.” He wrote of “a fundamental absence of empathy on the part of the attackers,” of “embittered children” around the world, of the seeds of discontent sown in poverty, ignorance and despair.

The nuanced musings of an obscure state senator, Obama’s statement never even made the big Chicago dailies.

Never made it to the blogosphere? Google doesn’t pull up Obama’s 2001 Statement.

Can HotAir & friends locate that text? There’s nothing more disgusting than being fed Yahoo News revisionism of selected “key words” filled in with current PC fabrication for what could prove to be a big fat WHOLE CLOTH EGYPTIAN SALE to plug The One in office.

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I remember being stunned by the photo of the firefighters carrying the body of Fr. Mychal Judge, the priest who was killed by falling debris while giving last rites to a dying firefighter.

He was my childhood pastor and it was such a shock. He was listed as the first known victim of 9/11.

RIP, Fr. Mychal.

atheling on September 11, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Michael Savage has a referential subtext to what Leftists imply with that N word.

maverick muse on September 11, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I’ll fault no one who ‘passes’ on it, today.
Be warned, they’re not pulling ANY punches.
CPT. Charles on September 11, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I watched the video about the people who jumped from the towers.

It brought back all the rage I felt at the ISLAMIC Terrorists that did this.

Of course the SCM wouldn’t want to show this sort of thing – it might enrage people and steel their nerves against the Islamofascists – can’t have that, don’t you know.

Chainsaw56 on September 11, 2009 at 12:32 PM

So much has changed in the last 8 years. I got my driver’s license, took my ACT’s and SAT’s, graduated high school. started college, completed papers and took tests, and graduated college.

One thing hasn’t changed: I’m still mad. Mad at OBL, mad at the evil people out there who would condemn so many people to death because of their nationality and ideals, mad at the people who enable those people to operate. I am continually shocked and stunned every time I see video of the attacks on that day so long ago. There is only one major difference between me on 9/11/01 and 9/11/09. I can do something about it now.

Sleep tight, OBL, I’m looking for you.

Rightwingguy on September 11, 2009 at 12:34 PM

I am always paralyzed on this day. Still in my pj’s, walking around in circles. This year I do have every light and TV on in the house, while the car idles on the driveway in honor of Obama’s call for green/service. I’ll have to get more gas soon, but it won’t be the first time I’ve driven to the gas station in my pj’s.

God bless the U.S.A.

ctmom on September 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Blake on September 11, 2009 at 12:17 PM

I forgot about that.

Well, I’ve got to get going here. ctmom, I’m still in my PJ’s also.

Have a blessed day everyone.

Elisa on September 11, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Project 2996 was a moving experience, I was glad to have participated. Here is my remembrance.

msmveritas on September 11, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Allah In the House also did a very nice tribute to 911 way back when. Wish AP would re-post it.

Blake on September 11, 2009 at 1:21 PM

One of my best friends from high school was on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon. God bless his family and all the families affected by these acts of evil men.

WyoMike on September 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I shall never forget that day, I was driving down Ft Sill Blvd, on my way to a dental appt, radio on, when I heard that a plane had crashed into one of the twin towers….I arrived at the office to find everyone glued to the TV, watching a replay of the first plane hitting, we talked of such a terrible accident, and then the second hit, the gasps and the shocked responses haunt me, someone said it has to be a terrorist attack, all of us quietly prayed…. after watching for 45 more mins, still stunned and shocked, work started…..I got home, turned on the tv and couldn’t tear my self away, I went through 5 boxes of tissues in 4 days….

God Bless every life so tragically cut short, God Bless all those who struggled to save so many, God Bless the workers who worked so tirelessly to clear the area and find the remains of loved ones lost, God Bless those who still suffer from that fateful day, and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

We need His blessings and guidance to help us through these troubed times……

Onward Forward and Upward!!

RoxanneH on September 11, 2009 at 1:25 PM

BradSchwartze on September 11, 2009 at 11:20 AM

You have it all wrong.

The 9/11 attacks were “owned” by the Democrats from the get-go, because they were planned and trained for on Bill Clinton’s watch, and the Democrats know it. In fact, they were supposed to happen on his watch.

That’s why their media has never shown the jumpers or many of the other painful images from that day. Because they desperately want Amrticans to forget that their own negligence resulted in the worst attacks on civilians on US soil in the country’s history.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM

That’s why their media has never shown the jumpers or many of the other painful images from that day. Because they desperately want Americans to forget that their own negligence resulted in the worst attacks on civilians on US soil in the country’s history.

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Del Dolemonte on September 11, 2009 at 1:33 PM

My memories at the time where I was:

1-Silly but true. Big Brother was going on, and at the time one African American contestant along with the rest of the pack did not know, of course, about the attacks. CBS was wondering how to break it to them (esp. about this contestant), since her sister worked at one of the towers and family did not know at the time where she was/if she was alive or not. CBS were very tactful as in to let them know in a very mild way what happened so they were not gonna be shocked and leave at once, or to let that contestant out to look for her sister (still wondering about that one!)

2-I was vacay here on PA w/husband and then baby boy; did not live here in the country yet. Baby was w/inlaws, hubby and I were enjoying Cleveland, hotel, saw a ball game. Juan “Igor” Gonzalez was the VIP player of the evening. That was 9/10. On the 9th I wanted to sleep in then go sightseeing. Then I was awakened by either phone call or husband to turn to the TV and watch. We did not know what to do quickly but thought the best idea yet is to get to the baby. I remember looking at the TV, still groggy, asking my husband, “They got everybody out, did they?” :(

I swear I can’t remember the hotel, many ppl checking out of course, hotel staff DID NOT WAIVE US a fee for early checkout. We rumbled about it, but we just had to. Got call too by his aunt, had a hunch to get the hell outta downtown CLE and go to her office. When we left the hotel, it looked like time stood still. Almost everybody was motionless on the sidewalks watching the jumbotrons on the bldgs.

Then we found out another plane was missing, lost communication. Ppl calling hysterical on all radio stations, women crying, you get it. The info was, if you see an a/c out in the sky, call 911 immediately since all flights were diverted/landed/grounded. So there I was, husband driving as fast as he could and me looking up at the sky with cell phone in hand. Husband thought plane was gonna hit downtown Pittsburgh (!!!!!!) All malls, Rock & Roll Hall of fame, every business closed. We headed up to her office still she was shaken up as her staff too. They felt pretty safe there but basically doing next to nothing, watching TV.

She was very relieved to see us there, my sis was trying to get a hold of me b/c I was vacationing in PA. Rumors were that plane was heading to DC but was on PA area last seen. Cell phone communications were, you can imagine, barely worked if nothing, as well as regular phones. When she did, she screamed at me, “OF ALL STATES IN THE COUNTRY, IT HAD TO BE PENNSYLVANIA!” worried sick of us. I was calmly telling we were all accounted for, that we were lucky plane did not hit our in-law’s property (part of it as deserted as Shanksville).

We hit it off back to the house and our baby boy, by then we confirmed for sure about Shanksville PA (ex girlfriend of husband lives there) so I thought about that too.

After that, film after film, I just was a walking zombie absorbing everything in. Of course when Pentagon got hit we cuzzed like crazy and thought, “this means war!” and did not know really what was gonna happen then. Surprise, shock, hope that “everybody got out safe” in my stupor (remember I did not watch for a while TV so I did not see the ppl jumping off), then seriously alarmed, nervous, some relief when we hit both our destinations and saw our relatives, then scared and serious anger when everything sank in.

This is the best I can do; never forget where I was, and watch again and again footage of that day. Now I have to tell both kids, esp. my son, about that day. I’m sure they will hear some about it today.

THANKS FOR READING ME; SORRY FOR THE LENGTH! May all souls rest in peace.

ProudPalinFan on September 11, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Sorry for earlier mistake. I meant the 11th.

On the 9th I wanted to sleep in then go sightseeing.

ProudPalinFan on September 11, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I forgot to add that the president of Cantor Fitzgerald was spared b/c he had to be late b/c he had to drop-off his son at school, then go to his office at the top of one of the towers.

All of ’em died except him. Of course he was a total mess (you think you should have died with them vs. being spared of such a death vs. all your staff dead).

My sister and I thought at the time that he was gonna commit suicide when we watched his TV interviews. Thank God he didn’t, and got himself together and his company is up and running again.

ProudPalinFan on September 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Ed,
Thanks for introducing me to Project 2996. I volunteered my website to help and was given Port Authority Police Officer Ken Tietjen. After reading more about him, I am honored to be able to post a tribute to this fine First Responder:

Ken Tietjen In Memoriam

hungrymongo on September 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM

rjoco1 on September 11, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Give the guy a break. why he spent a full twenty minutes on Memorial Day giving a speech before heading for a golf course and workout. And remember how he treated our fallen wounded during the campaign? He had to work out instead of visiting a hospital, as I recall.

The Washington press corps should ask about some of the specifics of the attacks. Think you have heard Um, ahhh, oohmm, hmmm, before?

May the souls who died that day have mercy on Obama for his indifference to their suffering and mercy on me for my anger. I hope that they ask God for our forgiveness since they are so much closer to Him than either of us are ever likely to be.

IlikedAUH2O on September 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM

This is fricking sickening! I cannot believe what I am seeing.
On Sept. 25, Dar ul Islam, a mosque in Elizabeth, N.J., is slating a massive Friday “jummah” prayer event at the west front of the U.S. Capitol; on the very site that President Obama gave his inauguration speech not so long ago. This is not a joke. Click on this site and the strains of the sonorous Islamic call to prayer (which will be heard at the Capitol, I am guessing), will flow from your computer’s loudspeakers. The mid-day summons to Allah will echo amongst Washington’s most august monuments, the site says “for the sole purpose of prayer.” And “the peace, beauty and solidarity of Islam will shine through the America’s capital.”

Solidarity? America’s Muslims have such on-and-off mosque attendance statistics, it’s impossible to get a realistic count of how many of them there are in this country. Methinks a lot of other religious groups aren’t going to be happy about this jummah rally. “A Day of Islamic Unity,” the event is called. Well, I guess if Louis Farrakhan could preach from the same spot during the Million Man March nearly 14 years ago, so can these folks. They’re talking about reserving 500 buses and talking about 50,000 attendees, so this could be one big clump of folks who head for lunch at Union Station afterward.

The Star-Ledger in Newark came out with the story about all this on Thursday. The idea, according to organizers, is to celebrate Muslims already being an integral part of American society.

Well, if you can have giant menorahs on the White House lawn each December, you can have Muslims praying about one-quarter mile to the north. So if Islamic muezzins will chant out the “adhan,” the call to worship, to folks kneeling on prayer rugs on the west front lawn, does that make the Capitol dome a minaret?

– Julia Duin, religion editor

patriotparty1 on September 11, 2009 at 5:19 PM

I will be going out to CAPT Bob Dolan’s bench in the Pentagon Memorial later tonight, after a brief stop in the chapel… Saw his widow on the local news this evening before coming in…

Some day I will get up to Ground Zero and pay my respects to my friend Mike McGinty…

RIP Classmates. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Khun Joe on September 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM