Pro-life demonstrator murdered at Michigan high school; Update: Motive confirmed

posted at 12:55 pm on September 11, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

On the day that we remember almost 3,000 Americans murdered by radical Islamists, we should all condemn this lunatic murder in Michigan.  A pro-life protestor got shot by an assailant in front of Owosso High School and died before anyone could rescue the victim.  The shooter is in custody, but neither he nor the victim has been identified:

The Michigan State Police say an anti-abortion activist has been shot and killed in front of Owosso High School.

The Flint Journal reports the shooting took place around 7:30 a.m. today, and a suspect was taken into custody about 45 minutes later at the suspect’s home.

The victim’s identity has not yet been released.

LifeNews has more details:

The shooting did not take place on school property but officials have locked down the school and taped off most of the front portions of the school grounds.

According to the Associated Press, in the spot where the protester stood, a black car is parked and a portable oxygen tank is lying next to a sign with a picture of an unborn child and the words life.

NBC 25 is reporting that interim school superintendent, Susan Wooden says the person is a well-known local pro-life advocate — a man who frequently stands in high traffic areas with the sign to protest abortion.

When abortionists get murdered by lunatics, the Left uses these incidents to indict the pro-life cause while the Right correctly notes that lunatics don’t adhere to any set of rules but their own madness.  The pro-life advocates tempted to use this as a tu quoque, either in the murder itself or reactions to it, should resist the urge.  Lunacy is evidence of only one thing — lunacy.

Today, of all days, we should remember that.  Terrorism and murder are never acceptable forms of political action in a democracy of free people, not for any reason or provocation.  People who toss bombs, shoot people, and conspire to commit acts of terror to impose their view of the world on free men and women should be objects of derision, regardless of our personal politics.

My prayers go to the family of the deceased, his friends and colleagues, and the emergency responders in the area who acted so quickly to make their community safe and try to save the life of the protester.

Update: And that’s assuming abortion had anything to do with the shooting at all. It may have been a personal conflict. We should know more soon.

Update II: Part of a murder spree?

Update III: Police have identified the murder suspect, who allegedly committed both murders out of personal grudges — and in the case of the pro-life  protester, the grudge was political:

Harlan Drake of Owosso, near Lansing, was arraigned on two counts of first-degree murder and other gun-related crimes. Prosecutors said Drake also had planned to kill a third, unidentified person. …

Drake was arrested at home about an hour later. Police said he stated he had also shot Fuoss.

“The indication is that he had ill will … a grudge against these three individuals,” said Shiawassee County Prosecutor Randy Colbry. “The defendant was offended by the manner of Mr. Pouillon’s message.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

JiyuLife on September 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Did he come up and stick the signs in people’s faces? I don’t feel compelled to look at things I don’t want to. While not exactly the same, our area has a gentleman who is obviously suffering from a mental illness. He is dirty, disheveled, talks and gestures to himself and walks constantly around our roads. Far from being the scorned he is mostly ignored but is also the recipient of gifts of food and neighborly acknowledgment. Anyway, I am sure the man with the signs, regardless of how distasteful, was not worthy of being murder nor the man at the gravel pit or the lucky realtor who was spared the same fate.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Hm, let’s see. Tiller shot for performing late-term abortions (ie., killing viable human beings in unspeakable ways) and a man carrying political signs shot for…carrying political signs.

Now that’s the kind of moral equivalency a Nazi could be proud of.

MissDarcy on September 12, 2009 at 9:36 AM

lot of people don’t like their kids to see pictures of 20+ week abortions. Do you blamce them?

Jimbo3 on September 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Certainly, if they’re pro-choice. Would they get as torn up over pictures of an appendectomy?

ddrintn on September 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

Oh, please, you better wander back and take a gander at the dead Kennedy thread before you start talking about your principles.

Cindy Munford on September 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM

…so, because I didn’t like people dancing on his grave, and still don’t, but took part with you in unrelated fooling around, like I usually do…what? That’s somehow hypocritical? What is your deal lately? You’ve got some serious chip on your shoulder with me.

MadisonConservative on September 12, 2009 at 11:30 AM

MadisonConservative on September 12, 2009 at 11:30 AM

No, I truly don’t and I am sorry you took it that way. I think it’s funny and I don’t think it has anything to do with your principles which I am sure are fine. You just like to tell people how to “talk” and I promise not to tease you about it anymore because it’s not really any more important then people teasing you about walkers or dentures. At least it is not meant to be any more important.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Jimbo3 on September 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I blame Kieth Oberman and Rachael Maddow foe this. The blood is on your hands.

GREENTURTLE on September 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I’m waiting for the MSM to cover this story…..Here’s how the headline will read:
School Shooting Prompts Outcry for Stronger Gun Control
What do you think? Am I right? Huh? Huh?…

JeffVader on September 12, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Photos of dead and walking dead victims of the Nazi holocaust, photos of black men hanging from ropes on trees are not only OK, but are part of the curriculum in many schools, and over the span of decades, have been broadcast countless times on countless news and television specials.

I don’t object to this, because evil, when it is exposed in all it’s horror, is isolated and defined. Also, persons who never believed these horrors happened were informed and then could join in the outcry to end it.

As human beings we don’t have the capacity to picture what an abortion actually looks like. We have no point of reference for such a grisly atrocity perpetrated on an unborn person.

The photos reveal what 34 years of media blackout and raw censorship refuses to show in any way because pro-abortionists want the ugly truth covered up at all costs: that abortion kills the most helpless in our human family in a savage manner not fit for the lowest animal.

And not infrequently, an abortion minded mother has seen these photos displayed and changed her mind and turned away from the planned abortion after seeing what would become of her child.

I know, because I have participated in these displays and get more thumbs up than fingers up, and more than one gal has stopped to tell me personally that she was preganant and planning to abort, but because the photos opened her eyes, “I had no idea that’s what would happen to my baby”, she is going to have her baby. This has happened over and over again to countless pro-lifers across the country. If only one life is saved, it is worth it.

Because I also feel very strongly that many seeing the signs have had abortions or helped others have one, and I feel badly for them because it is such a place of sadness and despair, I have distributed literally thousands of pamphlets offering free post abortion counseling, which can bring healing to these broken souls and stop the cycle of repeat abortions; one of every two abortions is a repeat.

I also think that signs should also be prominently displayed showing Jesus as Merciful Savior and our Blessed Mother, who comforts and never condemns.

And let’s get real here. We as a nation have allowed the mass murder of over 40 MILLION unborn, WHERE WERE THE TEA PARTIES FOR THEM??? WHERE ARE THE TEA PARTIES FOR THEM??? Will God really bless our efforts when we don’t repent of letting this slaughter happen, and instead of tea partiers telling the government to keep their hands off of our money, (which it should)shouldn’t we FIRST tell them to keep their hands off of unborn babies???
Now, countless post-abortive millions of men and women live immersed in some form of anger, depression and denial, and after 34 years we have produced and elected a monster like Obama to the highest office in our land. This our real problem, not whether a kid sees a photo which should be a true “teachable moment” for any parent who knows that unfortunately this is the America that we have allowed for our children who happen to survive abortion.

For those old enough to understand, teach them before someone else does, and stop pretending that you are worrying about those too young to even know what they are looking at.

I haven’t read this whole thread, but I have seen a couple of posts saying that they would at least punch the person in the face holding a sign that showed an abortion. Nice.

I am a proud American, conservative, Roman Catholic pro-lifer. By the grace of God through prayer and sidewalk counseling, I have been able to save hundreds of babies from abortion at the 11th hour.

If you want to punch me out, which will make the pro-abort demons dance with glee as you help them and their lackey Obama advance their culture of death, then I guess you have chosen who your friends are. Good luck with that.

tigerlily on September 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM

“Tiller was shot in his church. Didn’t Nazis do similar things to people in temples, Miss Darcy.

Jimbo3 on September 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM”

Well, if you want to draw comparisons, I suppose you think it would have been wrong for someone to have shot Hitler in a church.

Your esteem for the sacred ground of the church, though, is laudable (if suspect). Christ, however, made it clear that the true temple of God’s grace is the human person, not the pile of stones and mortar where human beings congregate.

MissDarcy on September 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Well put, Tigerlily.

MissDarcy on September 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Jimbo3 confuses me.

Apparently we shouldn’t presume to think this yahoo stands in with all pro-abortionists, though of course all pro-abortionists are peeved at us pro-lifers and our constant aggravation, and anyhow the pro-life movement is too stained with bloodshed to object if some average American did go a bit far and start shooting an antiabortion wacko, which probably didn’t happen here, and isn’t worth talking about in context of national politics anyway.

Did I get that right?

Chris_Balsz on September 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

tigerlily on September 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM

It’s upsetting when someone kills the wrong people.

Kralizec on September 12, 2009 at 3:26 PM

And you (and others here) are calling many members of US mainstream religions [Methodist, ELCA, Episcopal, etc.] “cultists” because you don’t agree with our religion.

Jimbo3 on September 11, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Just to set the record straight, no I am not. My feeble attempt at a joke was in response to this:

What you don’t understand is that you just can’t make up a religion, then say it is valid…you didn’t know that?

right2bright on September 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Apologies for the confusion.

SagebrushPuppet on September 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Wow, so many emotions. Ok, I’ll channel my inner-Coulter with the following remark: The protester wasn’t murdered but merely sent to paradise early. Whoops….sorry, I meant heaven….no 72 virgins for you.

Good4Onan on September 12, 2009 at 5:07 PM

No way did this man deserve to get shot. I don’t particularly like to look at the gruesome signs. I don’t know how effective they are. I think it might bring some reality of the situation to some that are given a sanitized view of whats happening. Like you’re just getting a mole removed or something. I think it might be more effective if these protesters showed signs with pictures of little healthy babies outside of abortion clinics. Maybe be a toddler with their parent. maybe ‘What will my child be like one year from now?’ ‘Who will He or She become?’. Maybe hold a family fair across the street on a busy day at PP. Free ultrasounds.

When people are shown the truth as opposed to the lies of PP they choose life.

cubbieblue25 on September 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Did he come up and stick the signs in people’s faces?
Cindy Munford on September 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Mr. Pouillon would stand in various places with his signs, sometimes less than five feet from people’s car window and sometimes past where junior high and high school students would have to walk around him.

ddrintn on September 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

What about the people who are pro-life and find the whole idea of an abortion morally repugnant? Should twelve year old boys and girls who agree with Mr. Pouillion mission (if not his actions) have to see this?

A troubled man tried to kill three people and succeeded twice. I mourn for the victims.

JiyuLife on September 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

JiyuLife on September 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

That’s rough in a small town. While I probably wouldn’t have carried those pictures myself and I don’t think targeting areas where children younger than high school age is a great idea, I have to tell you that kids see worse on TV, movies and video games. I guess we will find out when he comes to trial but you have to wonder what his problem could have been with the quarry owner and the lucky realator who escaped. I am not sure the ideology theme can be pushed in this case, this man apparently wants everything his way. Very odd.

Cindy Munford on September 12, 2009 at 9:29 PM

ddrintn on September 12, 2009 at 10:04 AM

JiyuLife on September 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

It’s instructive either way. I don’t think pictures of abortion and its aftermath are publicized enough. As long as it’s safely tucked away in textbooks and dry discussions of trimesters, it doesn’t have much of an impact.

It reminds me of the outcry back in the early 90s or so over Rush Limbaugh’s “caller abortions” thing.

ddrintn on September 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM