CBS poll: Support for ObamaCare up 12 points since last week

posted at 10:48 am on September 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Enjoy it while it lasts, champ, because no one — including liberal Democrats — thinks it will. Last week it was 40/47, today it’s 52/38 with 85 percent of Dems approving of how he’s handled health care. And yet, even in an otherwise upbeat poll, only 22 percent think O-Care will end up helping them. 27 percent think it’ll do more harm than good and 42 percent think it’ll have no effect. Such is the state of excitement about solving the great “crisis” of our time.

CBS sampled 648 adults randomly. What do you get when you sample likely voters, as Rasmussen does? Something … different:

The latest Rasmussen Reports national tracking survey shows that 46% favor the plan and 51% are opposed. The survey was conducted on Wednesday and Thursday nights. The previous two-day sample, conducted Tuesday and Wednesday nights, found that 44% favored the plan while 53% were opposed…

Eighty percent (80%) of Democrats now support the health care plan, up from 72% in the previous survey results. Support among Republicans declined two points while support among those not affiliated with either major party rose by a single percentage point…

The speech also increased enthusiasm for the plan. Thirty percent (30%) now Strongly Favor the legislation and 39% are Strongly Opposed. In the previous survey, 27% Strongly Favored the plan and 41% Strongly Opposed. In August, those numbers were 23% and 43% respectively.

He got a small bounce in the number of people who “strongly approve” of him too, but he’s still below 50 percent overall. So there you go. Figure on him picking up another two or three points over the weekend as the media hype settles, which means at a fleeting moment when support for ObamaCare is at its strongest among people who’ll decide the midterms next year — i.e. likely voters — The One’s struggling just to pull a bare majority. Soon liberals and moderates will start freaking out anew over the public option and then the erosion will begin again. The only thing he can do now to keep Democrats from tearing each other’s throats out is to give them some Republican throats to tear at instead, which, as Karl noted yesterday, is why his speech was so partisan and why the media will continue to wet itself over Joe Wilson for as long as it can. The longer this Two Minutes Hate goes on, the more unified Democrats will stay. Hooray for “angry mobs” and their congressional ringleaders!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bask all you want to, Barry. It’s short-lived.
God Bless and Save America, her youth, her elderly, her unborn, her less than “perfect” (whatever that might be) from this travesty called Obamacare.
All of you going to 9/12 gatherings: I’m praying for a safe, peaceful, happy day for you all. I can’t go. I have rehearsal. Yell twice as loud for me, will you?

Driefromseattle on September 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM

too bad reality is a little different than CBS dopeyhopeyland

Branch Rickey on September 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I have serious doubts on the poll, it doesn’t make any sense. Because no one watched Obama, they watched So You can Dance…he said nothing new.
These polls I think were written before Obama’s speech…because its the spin the media wants so bad.

Conservative Voice on September 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Strangers on my right, with their wide stances
Wondering ’bout my plight
What were the chances I’d be telling lies
Before the fight was through.

Something in their words was too revealing,
Something in my speech I am concealing,
Something in my plan,
Told me I must screw you.

Strangers on my right, and in the center
They are partisan, not me
From left I enter
When you said your first “You lie!”
You made the kittens cry
My tyranny’s a glance away,
A bureaucratic prance away and -

Ever since that fight I feel cold weather.
Enemies on sight, I hate forever.
My wee-wee you can bite
You strangers on my right.

-Barack Sinatra

George Orwell on September 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Dow 9,600.88 -26.60 (-0.28%)
NASDAQ 2,079.96 -4.06 (-0.19%)
S&P 1,042.81 -1.33 (-0.13%)

that other “daily tracking poll”….

sven10077 on September 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Dow 9,600.88 -26.60 (-0.28%)
NASDAQ 2,079.96 -4.06 (-0.19%)
S&P 1,042.81 -1.33 (-0.13%)

that other “daily tracking poll”….

sven10077 on September 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Funny you mention that, race fan. When the former male cheerleader took over, the Dow was at 10,600. When the King of Kenya took over it was 8,200. Today we’re at 9,600. Conclusion: Bush=Miserable Failure B Hussein= YOUR President for 7 1/2 more years.

Mission accomplished!

simplesimon on September 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Congrats to simplesimon for making the worst argument evah.

stvnscott on September 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I make it a point to never believe CBS polls. I just tend to ignore them. In fact I can remember that it was not so long ago that CBS reported that 72% supported Obamacare. Yeah..sure.

Terrye on September 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM

simplesimon:

You idiot. In Nov. 2007, when Bush was president it was at 14,700…but after awhile the full effect of the Democrat Congress settled in and oil went up and the Dow went down and the deficits went up and unemployment went up and the national debt went up….

Terrye on September 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Mission accomplished!
simplesimon on September 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Skippy! Shame on you. Don’t forget to give the Most Ethical Congress Evah Kudos for that 8,200. Just for that she might not give you Strawberry Quik in your milk at supper.

kingsjester on September 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Mission accomplished!
simplesimon on September 11, 2009 at 3:36 PM

c’mon, I know you’re simple, but this is so sad…..ok class, WHEN did the market start it’s slide again? THat would be end of may 2008. WHEN did the communist in chief sew up the Donkey nomination…..

and for bonus points….are markets backwards looking or forwards looking?

Fighton03 on September 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Obama – Determined to leave a black mark on America!

Cybergeezer on September 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

crosspatch on September 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Respectfully, I think you’re misreading the grandfathering section of the bill. If your plan changes or your job changes (meaning your plan changes), you’re no longer subject to the old regs; any new plan offered to you has to fit the new regs — including any private plan. The new regs don’t equal the public option (though I do believe the public option is just a pretext to a takeover).

DrSteve on September 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I’ve never been polled on national politics (just local stuff), but recently I was polled twice in three days.

One of the calls turned out to be a pitch for donations to some Dick Morris group. The other one seemed legitimate.

At any rate, I used both opportunities to blast Obama and the Democrats on their handling of the healthcare debate.

So, I am NOT one of the 12% who suddenly likes teh way he’s handling it.

UltimateBob on September 11, 2009 at 5:52 PM

What if the “new” regs don’t suit me and I would rather have insurance under the “old” regs? Maybe it is better put as “you are forced off of State regulated insurance and onto Federally regulated insurance”.

There are also serious problems with the new regs. For example, lets say you have two businesses with the same plan but one has a very high claims rate while another business has a very low claims rate. Under the “new” regs, the insurer is not allowed to charge the business that has the high claim rate more nor can they reward the company with a lower claims rate with lower premiums. The regulations take competition and efficiency out of the equation. It is like mandating that car insurance companies charge all drivers exactly the same rate no matter what their record so good drivers end up with their rates increasing to cover bad drivers.

ANY time government gets involved with an industry they add inefficiency and drive costs up.

crosspatch on September 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Obama – Determined to leave a black mark on America!

Cybergeezer on September 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Raaaaaaaacist!

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 11, 2009 at 8:38 PM

OK, support is now up for ObamaCare. People love it. Why doesn’t Congress just go ahead and pass the thing already then?

ddrintn on September 11, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Again, more proof that how you word a question and who is asking the questions tilt the poll to the pollsters favor.

The bottom line is, to always ask yourself what is governments role in your life.

MSGTAS on September 12, 2009 at 10:23 AM

What’s with this (budget related) constitutionally allowed shortcut to passage? Can OCare ride on that bill? Can it be stopped in any way?

highninside on September 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM