Video: Gibbs miffed that not every channel in America is carrying Obama’s boring speech

posted at 4:50 pm on September 9, 2009 by Allahpundit

Pity the poor viewer whose television doesn’t pick up CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, FNC, or MSNBC and is forced to choose between spending the evening huddled over a radio or watching “So You Think You Can Dance.” Anyone doubt that Fox is going to win the time slot easily, incidentally, and reap a nice advertising windfall in the process? Money may grow on trees in ObamaWorld but the Murdoch empire still has a bottom line to worry about. Although Gibbs is right that it’s a sad commentary on our times how some Americans would prefer to watch a reality show than hear the 57th dishonest iteration of “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan.” That’s the whole subtext of the speech, after all — that people were too stupid to understand Obama the first thousand times he talked about this and only if he beats it into their skulls once again will they finally see the true wisdom of his vision. It’s sheer contempt for the intelligence of voters, but what do you expect? The guy’s all out of moves. He might as well try to charisma his way to a bill.

I’ll be watching “Ghost Hunters” tonight because, see, I’m easily “distracted.” Tongue-in-cheek exit question via MayBeeTweet: Isn’t Gibbsy’s thinking here a sneak preview of the public option? In theory he’s all about people having an array of choices, but in practice he’s mighty intent on a monopoly for The One.

Comments

I’ll watch the Yankees beat up their designated opponent.

JammieWearingFool on September 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM

…and this masochist will be watching the Mets.

Jerome Horwitz on September 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM

So here are fifteen of my choices at 8:00 tonight. I think most of these are different titles for the same show.

1. Presidential Address
2. The X-Files: I Want to Believe (Same Thing)
3. Insane Cinema (Original Working Title)
4. America’s Funniest Home Videos (No $#!+)
5. Towelhead (No Comment)
6. Lockdown (Also the title of Obama’s School Speech)
7. World’s Funniest Moments (If it weren’t so true)
8. Ghost Whisperer (Couldn’t find “Hunters”)
9. MythBusters (Opposition’s Reply, at the same time?)
10. End of Days (Probably)
11. Pranked (For most Useful Idiots)
12. Free Money (For the Other Useful Idiots)
13. Organized Crime: A World History (The Chicago Way)
14. Moscow Zero (You can’t make this stuff up)
15. Sexto Continente (I don’t know… but I’m watching it)

ronnyraygun on September 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I’ll be watching “Ghost Hunters” tonight…

You ‘n me both.

Well, that and two loads of laundry.

The Ugly American on September 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM

The joke here is that Obama ran his election campaign like the reality TV show “American Idol” and now that he got elected he’s running the country like a reality show named “So you think you can Govern”.

OxyCon on September 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Kind of O/T-

Where can you go to find out more about the whip count?
anniekc on September 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Drudge has a siren going right now. Let’s just say that I think Steny Hoyer is going to try to knock Pelosi out of her spot as Speaker.

Buy Danish on September 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM

ronnyraygun on September 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Hahahahaha, awesome post bro.

nickj116 on September 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM

They should’ve told him that they would certainly break in if the President said anything new.

PackerBronco on September 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM

If I were Gibbs, I’d be more concerned with who’s actually watching the speech rather than who’s carrying it.

IndieDogg on September 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

O/T: beck is talking about cass sunstein now.

i guess one of my SEnators, Mark Warner (Dem Va) will vote for the guy because markie hugs up on Chuck Schumer. who knows about jim webb.

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Early release right now but Drudge has the count listed in the article, names included. Forty-four Dems are out there in opposition–not enough to pass it without Republican support.

Liam on September 9, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Thanks- nothing happened when I clicked on it.

anniekc on September 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I’ll be watching the Rockies continue their march to the World Series.

thomasaur on September 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Buy Danish on September 9, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I’d be willing to watch the damn speech if that happened!

anniekc on September 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I’ll be watching “The Backyardigans” and “The Wonderpets” on Noggin with my 2 year old. It will be more informative than the speech.

Sefton on September 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM

nickj116 on September 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Thanks Dude

ronnyraygun on September 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM

SpongeBob is introducing his healthcare program, too! This has gotta be good!

Cybergeezer on September 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

…and this masochist will be watching the Mets.

Jerome Horwitz on September 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM

Suffering Met fan here too. I think I’ll watch “Triumph of the Will” and dub in Obomber’s speeches, just for $hit$ and giggles. Sort of like subsitituting “Dark Side of the Moon” for the “Wizard of Oz” soundtrack.

J.J. Sefton on September 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

DVD: any of my john wayne movies. i have 35 of them.

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Ghost Hunters is stupid. Every episode is the same. It ends with “maybe there was something here. Maybe there wasn’t”

Thanks for that revelation!

lorien1973 on September 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Hahaha!!….my brother says the same thing.

“shhh!!….did you hear that? what was that?”

LOL…

The Ugly American on September 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

anniekc on September 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

the link’s server is probably seriously overloaded

Liam on September 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Gibby goes for the dig….needs a bigger shovel.

PappaMac on September 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for that revelation!

lorien1973 on September 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM

That could also be commentary on Obama and health care.

hawksruleva on September 9, 2009 at 5:36 PM

The Ugly American on September 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

They REALLY need to invest in some helmet cams.

FontanaConservative on September 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I’d be willing to watch the damn speech if that happened!

anniekc on September 9, 2009 at 5:31 PM

I wish they’d start beating each other with microphones and folding chairs like they do in the Philippines. Then I’d watch it.

Rod on September 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Drudge has a photo of Zero’s teleprompter. ‘2:15 PM ET: OBAMA TELEPROMPTER ARRIVES ON HILL…’ Talk about a slap. :-)

joejm65 on September 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM

If people want to watch it, they’ll know where to find it. Now why is it so important to have it bombarded on every possible network? hmmm….

By the way, who’s going to set up the Obama bingo card? I think we need the following categories.

– Let me be clear.
– As I have always said.
– There are some who would rather do nothing.
– If you like your plan, you can keep it
– My Grandma got sick
– 47 million uninsured (left unsaid is how many make a choice to be that way)

Any other suggestions?

stldave on September 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Rod on September 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Or better yet, we bring back “Dueling”

FontanaConservative on September 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Webb also tends to try and burnish his “I’m a liberal team player” credentials whenever he’s in Washington. So he’ll vote for Papa Cass. But cross the border into the Commonwealth, and he’ll say it was because he believes compromise is the only way to advance a moderate agenda, or something worthless like that.

hawksruleva on September 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Good thing bumma did not work for The Donald.
We all know that punch line,Your ????????????

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM

9. MythBusters (Opposition’s Reply, at the same time?)
10. End of Days (Probably)

11. Pranked (For most Useful Idiots)
12. Free Money (For the Other Useful Idiots)
13. Organized Crime: A World History (The Chicago Way)
14. Moscow Zero (You can’t make this stuff up)
15. Sexto Continente (I don’t know… but I’m watching it)
ronnyraygun on September 9, 2009 at 5:27

LOL
That’s great!
Mind if I seal it?
Plagiarize that is

DSchoen on September 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Alright the drinking game will commence for those who will watch. I may be underage but I’ll give it a shot. O.K. we have rum, tequila, and whiskey.

FontanaConservative on September 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM

What. A. Tool. Is he serious? Sniping whing little child. All he had to do was communicate a positive message for Fox viewers instead he comes across as a petulent child. What does this say about a White House that thinks this type of message is needed called for or even acceptable?

Theworldisnotenough on September 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM

So the Whiner in Chief, Obama, spokes-whiner, is whining that a privately owned cable company is making business decisions based on what their customers want.

And this is causing a hissy fit in the White House.

DSchoen on September 9, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I can’t wait for GLEE!!! Thanks Obama. Now more people will turn to Fox and see this show!

Anyone watch Doctor Who? I’m thinking Gibbs and Obama wont be happy until they get something like this. (start @ .45)

How DARE we have choices!!!

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM

“Ghost Hunters”?

Really?

Doesn’t anyone read a book anymore? Wouldn’t tonight be a perfect time to break out that Kindle you have (you do have one, right?)

Since I’m reading them right now, I would suggest The War of Wars (about the ‘Napoleonic’ Wars) and as a companion, some historical-based fiction, the Aubrey/Maturing novels (I’m reading HMS Surprise right now, #3 of the set)

Reading the label of a toothpaste tube would be better than watching “Ghost Hunters” OR the presidents speech…

catmman on September 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Now why is it so important to have it bombarded on every possible network?
stldave on September 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Oh, simple! Like how the Nazis and Soviets forced people to attend their parades, it’s a ‘show of support’ to feed the ego of the Top Dog.

The Nielsen Ratings would of course be used. If carried on every station, Obama would have a 97% share of viewership that night.

In a word: propaganda.

Liam on September 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

FontanaConservative on September 9, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Wow, if you mix those babies, you’ll need healthcare by midnight. Good luck. :-)

joejm65 on September 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

How DARE we have choices!!!

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Funny how ‘choice’ only matter to a Democrat when it pertains to abortion…

catmman on September 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM

cloture vote: 63-35 per Beck. cloture vote on sustein. he is against hunting BUT he is favor of animals having attorneys.

my husband is dove hunting right now. then he’s going fishing. but he is an atty, so i guess he can bill the time.

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM

webb voted against cloture.

OMG judge napolitano said that sustein would be on short list of Supreme Court nominees next time.

OMG

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Funny how ‘choice’ only matter to a Democrat when it pertains to abortion…

catmman on September 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Someone was talking about that last week. Liberals aren’t really liberal at all. The only things they are liberal about is sex and drugs. Everything else, they want the government to control. I thought that was a very accurate point to make.

stldave on September 9, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Gibbs just reveals how much this administration is against choice: ALL airwaves should be full of Obama and no one in their right minds (hence: Fox viewers) would choose NOT to view the speech. Sheesh, Bambi is all over the place all the time. Sometimes thinking people need a break!

Willie on September 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Wyznowski on September 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM

OMG

kelley in virginia on September 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM

And there’s no better place to showcase Obama’s choice of counsel than supreme court hearings; Anyone who votes for this nutjob is toast!

anniekc on September 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I love Glee, it’s hilarious! Thanks for reminding me it’s on tonight.

mbs on September 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I’ll be playing Civ IV – as the Germans of course mounting my war campaign against the bloody French.

Mr_Magoo on September 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I’ll be watching “Ghost Hunters” tonight because, see, I’m easily “distracted.”

Wait a minute. “Ghost” is another name for “spook”. “Spook” is a racial slur for black people. So you want to see “Spook Hunting”. RAAAAAAAAACCCCIIISSSSTTTT!!!!!!

/lib

DethMetalCookieMonst on September 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM

By the by…I’d rather watch two pigs f***ing than our floppy ear’d Prez stammer, studder, and rotate read from his TOTUS.

Wyznowski on September 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Prediction: This nauseating turd of a propaganda presser will be DOWN again…
Norwegian on September 9,

Prediction:
Planted questions.

We will once again hear about Donna / Debby Smith (all health care horror stories East to East cost)

Prediction:
What we will not hear, or not in this order.
1500 people with privet insurance die every day!
1500 people lose their privet insurance every day!

Some might think there’s a connection tween the two.
Both statements are true.
It is also true that dead people no longer need health insurance.

DSchoen on September 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Gibbs is such a whiney baby. That is the thing that really grates on my last nerve with this administration – their belief that the sun and moon should rise and set with them.

I think I’ll finish up the Mark Levin book I am reading and paint my daughter’s fingernails.

catlady on September 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Mr. Obama, the Chicago Thug, has proven himself to be untrustworthy time and again. No need to waste my evening watching him talk to a bunch of dumbbells in the Congress while looking at himself in a hand mirror.

Zorro on September 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I heard he was going to do a major Sarah P bashing segment. What an idiot. The POTUS taking on a private citizen. So classy, Obambi. At least Bush stayed above the “maddening crowd”.

catlady on September 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I, for one, will be watching the President tonite. I can’t wait for the congressional page to yell “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Teleprompeter of the United States!”

DrW on September 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

ronnyraygun on September 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Or you can go online and watch several programs through HULU.com or FANCAST.com.

jbh45 on September 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM

I spend Tuesday nights switching between Monsterquest and Ghosthunters, and my channel back button cannot be programmed to flip through an additional channel. So unfortunately, I had to sacrifice Obama’s speech tonight for the greater good.

uknowmorethanme on September 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM

catmman on September 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM

oh GAWD! I HATE reading snobs. I can watch TV tonight and then read before I go to sleep. Shocker! It’s not an either or thing. I LOVE reading. Can’t sleep until I’ve read for a while. I’ve had to rent a storage unit because I’ve accumulated so many books. I can also watch the TV.

PS- the Kindle sucks. Books are meant to be felt!

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I’ll be watching Melanie Oudin, a 17-year old American tennis surprise phenom from Marietta, Georgia. She is scheduled to light up center court against Caroline Wozniacki at the US Open tonight at 7pm EST on ESPN.

I’m gonna watch the patriotic American Oudin instead of Obama.

C’mon, watch with me and a bunch from Karl’s green room thread. She’s ours, root her on!

marybel on September 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I love Glee, it’s hilarious! Thanks for reminding me it’s on tonight.

mbs on September 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

any show that can rock some Les Miserables AND Journey in the same episode is a winner!

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I thought it was funny that Gibby was saying “a bean-counter at the insurance company shouldn’t be deciding if you have treatment or not” but he has no problem with a bureaucrat working for the federal government doing just that! Why didn’t these couch potatoes at FOX point that out to him? The people who work at FOX are slow on the up-take.

Bicyea on September 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Same thing I’ve been watching every night for the past few days…Red Dwarf with a little Fawlty Towers in between seasons as a palette cleanser.

If I feel like hearing about government red tape, double dealing and socialism, I’d watch Yes, Minister. At least that’s good for intentional laughs.

DrAllecon on September 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Books are meant to be felt!

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 6:13 PM

+1000

thomasaur on September 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM

The people who work at FOX are slow on the up-take.

Bicyea on September 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM

They are indeed slow on picking up more than talking points sometimes, but at least they address about a billion percent more than the MSM mouthpieces do.

Spiritk9 on September 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM

jbh45 on September 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Love Hulu. Plenty of Family Guy. Watched Saints and Soldiers again… pretty good movie.

ronnyraygun on September 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM

The open thread at HA should be fun tonight. I hope some of our newbies will join it. We have a terrific time in those.

RushBaby on September 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM

DrAllecon on September 9, 2009 at 6:16 PM

gotta love some Red Dwarf! I’m currently on season 6 myself. I can’t wait to get up to date and see the special they just did.

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM

US versus Trinidad & Tobago (World Cup Qualifying) on ESPN Classic

XWing5 on September 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

For me, it will be listening to The Beatle’s remasters.

Oh yeah, saw Gibbsy-baby live on the news. Man, it is just too early to watch that kind of bratty behavior.

cibolo on September 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Wyznowski on September 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

What channel is that on?

PatMac on September 9, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Hey Gibbs,

I hope your resume is up to date. You’ll be looking for work in 2012.

afotia on September 9, 2009 at 6:38 PM

It’s gonna be a DVR night,…”Touched By an Angel” should counter balance the hussein lies played out on tv.

christene on September 9, 2009 at 7:01 PM

ChickaBOOMer: Dancing With The Czars

StewartIII on September 9, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Since I’d rather read fiction than listen to the Prez give a speech that is made up of fictitious “facts”, I’m going to continue reading a Nero Wolfe novel in between innings of the Phillies game.

Beaglemom on September 9, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 6:19 PM

SPECIAL??? What special???
I missed it!!

Shambhala on September 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM

This is only an issue on the east coast. Out here the speech is on at 5:00. I’m still not watching it.

Rose on September 9, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I’ll be picking dog crap out of my back yard, but it beats Obama on TV

Jeff from WI on September 9, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Well, these look good:
TruTV – Operation Repo
ID – Solved
Discovery Health – 627 Pound Woman: Jackie s Story

Decisions, decisions

blr2449 on September 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM

US versus Trinidad & Tobago (World Cup Qualifying) on ESPN Classic

XWing5 on September 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Soccer on TV or Obama again, hmm, soccer or Obama, Hmm..this is tough

Jeff from WI on September 9, 2009 at 7:20 PM

This piece of sh!t douchebag needs to get hit by a truck rendering him brain dead….oh wait…its Bahgdad Bobbie Gibbs.

No Truck Neccessary.

BillaryMcBush on September 9, 2009 at 7:25 PM

It’s a shame Family Guy is not on tonight. It will be Married with Children for me.

bopbottle on September 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM

SPECIAL??? What special???
I missed it!!

Shambhala on September 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM

In April the cast got back together and did a 3 part speacial called Back to Earth.

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Gibbs=doughboy.

nwpammy on September 9, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Oh yeah, tonight is Ghost Hunters. Thanks for reminding me.

Emily M. on September 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Ive been watching Obama dance all summer long – I think its only fair to give some other people a chance.

Besides, how is this administration any different from the other reality shows out there?

liberalnitemare on September 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM

SPECIAL??? What special???
I missed it!!

Shambhala on September 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM

You can pre-order the new Red Dwarf (and Dr. Who) on Amazon. :)

Mangy Scot on September 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Gibby = cry-baby.

Mangy Scot on September 9, 2009 at 9:15 PM

I can’t even click on the video because his constant nasal-whine hurts my ears. And his face hurts my eyes…he has a perpetual crusty red area under his nose that looks like he has been crying and using cheap, scratchy tissue to wipe his snot. This Gibbs guy should get a Moe haircut to hide the shine from that giant forehead! Can’t the Marxists at least find 1 decent looking person to blab their propaganda?

redwhiteblue on September 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM

“So You Think You Can Dance Judges Pan Obama Performance” http://optoons.blogspot.com/2009/09/so-you-think-you-can-dance-judges-pan.html

Mervis Winter on September 9, 2009 at 11:03 PM

You can pre-order the new Red Dwarf (and Dr. Who) on Amazon. :)

Mangy Scot on September 9, 2009 at 9:09 PM

a poster after my own heart! :)

Ampersand on September 9, 2009 at 11:55 PM

What a douche! If it weren’t for that fact, Ochimpy and his Chicago thugs and Marxist radical traitors would never have been elected in the first place.

csdeven on September 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM

We have church Wednesday night. We normally have 6,000 roughly computors logged in to watch the service live. I can check but I suspect we had a couple thousand more than usual.

seven on September 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM