Video: California pol literally in bed with lobbyists; Update: Duvall resigns

posted at 2:58 pm on September 9, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Nothing says family values like sleeping with two lobbyists, neither of them your wife, and bragging about your sexual conquests at a California Assembly committee meeting. Michael Duvall (R), who represents conservative Orange County, not only is one of the most indiscreet politicians in recent memory, but he’s not too bright, either. The affairs came to light yesterday because Duvall bragged about them in front of a microphone that turned out to be live:

Freshmen legislators arriving in Sacramento receive advice from veteran politicians about the intricacies of working in California’s capital. One of those tips is to remember that microphones broadcasting legislative debates can also capture embarrassing, career-ending personal admissions if a politician isn’t careful. Michael D. Duvall, Orange County’s 72nd Assembly District representative, must have forgotten the warning.

In July–two days after Assembly Speaker Karen Bass and Republican leader Sam Blakeslee put Duvall on the Rules Committee that oversees member ethics–the second-term, conservative, Republican assemblyman sat in a public hearing and vividly described lewd details about his trysts with a female lobbyist whose clients had business before another committee on which Duvall sits.

How explicit did Duvall get with his colleague? Way past the “ick” stage, all the way to “summer-camp liar,” except it is apparently true:

“She wears little eye-patch underwear,” said Duvall, who is married with two children. “So, the other day she came here with her underwear, Thursday. And so, we had made love Wednesday–a lot! And so she’ll, she’s all, ‘I am going up and down the stairs, and you’re dripping out of me!’ So messy!” …

“So, I am getting into spanking her. Yeah, I like it. I like spanking her. She goes, ‘I know you like spanking me.’ I said, ‘Yeah! Because you’re such a bad girl!’” …

But Duvall wasn’t content to just share one adulterous tale at the July 8 committee hearing. He referenced a second, simultaneous affair with another woman. He seemed amused that he was cheating on both his wife and a mistress.

“Oh, yeah, Sher, Shar, Shar,” Duvall said. “Oh, she is hot! I talked to her yesterday. She goes, ‘So are we finished?’ I go, ‘No, we’re not finished.’ I go, ‘You know about the other one [Barsuglia], but she doesn’t know about you!’”

Good Lord.

The video above shows Dave Lopez of KCAL-9 (not KCBS, as the OC Register erroneously reported) chasing Duvall through the capital building in Sacramento. For a man who likes to share intimate details of his sexual conquests, Duvall got suddenly shy when he saw Lopez. I suspect he won’t be able to avoid his wife, and his other mistress, for that matter, with as much alacrity as Duvall shows here.

This is about as corrupt as it gets. Two lobbyists who do business with Duvall’s committees share sexual favors with a married man, who then brags about it to his buddies as though it’s no big deal. It’s corruption on both a personal and public scale. Duvall needs to go, regardless of which party he represents in the Assembly, if for no other reason than the basis of sheer stupidity in thinking that the microphone inches away from his mouth might not be live.

Addendum: As an aside, one of the most embarrassing tasks as a manager for me involved this kind of idiotic indiscretion in a call center. One of my female employees had a very audible conversation with a friend on the phone (on a recorded line, no less) with graphic descriptions of her sexual activities from the previous weekend, graphic descriptions of her own genitalia, and so on — for more than ten minutes. It’s difficult to understand what prompts people into these kinds of conversations, but they do occur, to the discomfort of everyone around them.

Update: I didn’t mean to play Name That Party, but Duvall is a Republican.  Sorry about that.

Update II:  Never has a man more needed to spend some time with his family:

I am deeply saddened that my inappropriate comments have become a major distraction for my colleagues in the Assembly, who are working hard on the very serious problems facing our state. I have come to the conclusion that it would not be fair to my family, my constituents or to my friends on both sides of the aisle to remain in office. Therefore, I have decided to resign my office, effective immediately, so that the Assembly can get back to work.

It wasn’t the comments that was inappropriate, Mr. Duvall.

Update III: The LA Times covers the story here.  One reader e-mailed me and asked the following question:

Is it not relevant and is it also not worthy to note in your Hot Air post that the CA Assembly-man whom Mike Duvall was speaking with should also be subject to an Ethics Committee investigation?

That’s not a bad point.  Duvall admitted to his colleague (er, bragged) in July that he was bedding lobbyists with business before his committee.  That should have prompted a report to the Assembly’s ethics committee immediately, not two months later after the media broke the story.  The other Assemblyman in that video should be facing an inquiry as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

FWIW, heres the lady lobbyist in question.

Mike D. on September 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM

It wasn’t the comments that was inappropriate, Mr. Duvall.

was

Grow Fins on September 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM

should be ‘were’…

Grow Fins on September 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Duvall likes a hands on approach to government.

profitsbeard on September 9, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Media doing their job.

yoda on September 9, 2009 at 6:17 PM

No public apology for his sexual indescretion?

His wife won’t be kind.

Black Adam on September 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM

No public apology for his sexual indescretion?

His wife won’t be kind.

Black Adam on September 9, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Only time will tell.

SC.Charlie on September 9, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Oh dear. I checked earlier on his party affiliation. The sooner gone the better.

Good riddance. Just GO…you’re not John Edwards. All you have going for you, big fella, is Obama’s health care speech….zip a dee doo dah along now…

Buh-bye.

marybel on September 9, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Sanford will never resign. He is a God among himself.

GW_SS-Delta on September 9, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Today 60 Republicans in the SC House of Representatives have asked that Sanford resign. The Lt. Governor, Andre Bauer, is being hounded by accusations that he is gay. The soap opera in South Carolina may have just begun.

SC.Charlie on September 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM

This troop-supporting Friend of teh Lord deserves the support of good ‘christians’ everywhere. Promise Keepers Unite!

simplesimon on September 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Hey, Duvall! Why resign? It’s your PRIVATE LIFE! Just keep saying that and they won’t care! Worked for me!

Bill C.

P.S. – Heidi – I’m pretty much open for the next few years. And I’m cuter than he is.

AmericanDad on September 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I wonder if the Trolls will talk about Clinton and the Cigar?

GunRunner on September 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM

We are trying to get a proposition on the ballot in CA to make the legislature part-time.

Support it. Please.

—-

misty

mistythestripper on September 9, 2009 at 7:42 PM

An admonition and a Mark Twain reference….

All guns are loaded. All mics are live. Darwin takes the hindmost. And talk about instant karma…whew.

Mark Twain was right when he said that the only distinctly criminal class in America is the political class. I’m speaking of the ethics problem. As far as morality, that’s Duvall’s problem.

Meremortal on September 9, 2009 at 7:50 PM

I think he is fantasizing here.

bloggless on September 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM

After looking at Barsuglia picture, you’re right. This is nothing but talk from Duvall, he never had an affair with her.

lowandslow on September 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Wow! And I thought listening to a woman in a client’s office talk about the details of her colonoscopy was bad. In a strong NJ accent no less.

What a scum!

Common Sense on September 9, 2009 at 8:59 PM

ncborn on September 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM

Told ya he was toast!

ncborn on September 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Clean house. Every house. We need to send a message that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated.

davidk on September 9, 2009 at 9:45 PM

simplesimon on September 9, 2009 at 6:52 PM

What?

davidk on September 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM

KCAL 9 is an ‘independent’ network yet the video is dead because of a ‘CBS’ copyright claim.

Whatev’s.

Scum bags are Scum bags be they (D) or (R).

Throw the shyster public servant to the wolves.

SilverStar830 on September 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Well… when I lived in L.A. KCAL 9 was an independent network. I guess they merged with CBS since.

You can view the video on their website, along with several others about this story.

Tons of coverage of this.

No coverage of the Van Jones fiasco though.

Go figure.

SilverStar830 on September 9, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I think that it may be time for the Darwin Awards to open a new category. this guy DEFINATELY deserves every uncomfortable moment that comes to him……

Scubafreak on September 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Mike D. on September 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Attractive. I would question the ethics of pretty much every other legislator she has had contact with, too.

My guess is that this is fairly commonplace in government. It would not surprise me if it happens every day. Our government has become rotten to the core at all levels. Throw them all out, regardless of party.

crosspatch on September 9, 2009 at 11:42 PM

Are we to the point that we need little microphone-equipped nano-bees flitting around recording every word our elected officials ever say?

I would like to think this gentleman is lying about his partners’ dripping loins.

I would like to think Ms Barsuglia were able to make a persuasive case for her client without the use of labial friction.

I guess I just need another drink.

JEM on September 10, 2009 at 2:00 AM

I’m sure his children won’t be sending him Fathers Day cards for a few years.

Speedwagon82 on September 10, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Update: I didn’t mean to play Name That Party, but Duvall is a Republican. Sorry about that.

That doesn’t bother me. We need to out these people and send them home. We need to purge the party of politicians like these.

DFCtomm on September 10, 2009 at 9:11 AM

Every single person in office should be facing an ethics committee investigation.
REAL investigations.
Every single one of them. And immediately taken out of office, even before any courtdate is set, if there are any questions..
Yeah, I know….but, I can dream…

bridgetown on September 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Brought to you by the “Party of Family Values”…and remember kids, letting gays marry will ruin the sanctity of marriage!!

dcwvu on September 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM

dcwvu on September 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM

One fool doesn’t dismiss the argument. Your point is nothing more than an ad hominem.

Did it occur to you that both cheating and gay marriages ruin the sanctity of marriage? Unless you condone cheating on one’s spouse you are being inconsistent.

shick on September 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM

DCWVU:

People shouldn’t marry for political reasons, be they homosexuals or Republicans trying to pass as good family folk.

MissDarcy on September 10, 2009 at 11:30 AM

dcwvu on September 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM

And I suppose you’ll continue to support the family values of Obama and his affiliated group Acorn.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

shick on September 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM

FWIW, heres the lady lobbyist in question.

Mike D. on September 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM

She’s cute….not Hannah Giles cute, but cute…

Tim Burton on September 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM