A Labor Day tribute to the troops

posted at 9:34 am on September 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Andrew Malcolm has this posted at his LA Times Top of the Ticket blog, and it’s a winner.  Labor Day celebrates the working men and women of this country, but we can’t forget the men and women who work to keep this nation and others free and secure.  A big Hot Air thank you to all our fighting forces, and especially those on the front lines:

Happy Labor Day to all of our Hot Air readers!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

To all the idiots giving me grief for not bowing down and worshiping the military: I’m a vet, you morons. I served 12 years in the Navy, six years out of high school then six more after 9/11. My father, brother, brother-in-law, grandfather, and great-grandfather all served in the Navy.

But this worship of the military has got to stop. This is a republic of free men and women. It’s not a militaristic nation, at least it wasn’t founded as one. I find the right’s constant praise of the military to be as sickening as the left constant praise of the President (and the right’s, when Bush was in office). The President is just another guy, with just another job. He’s not a king, and the military is not all a bunch of heroes down to every single member.

So give it a rest for once. Stop looking for any and every excuse to weep about how great the military is.

Oh, and for you subretards who somehow read into my comments that I hate the military I suggest you go take an intro to logic course, or perhaps look for instruction on reading comprehension.

corbettw on September 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Thanks, caunoupfour.

Loxodonta on September 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Loxodonta:Lox,it almost spells,cansoupflour!!

Hehe,good sense of humour Lox!:)

canopfor on September 7, 2009 at 11:29 PM

corbettw on September 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Lighten up Francis.

hawkdriver on September 8, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Cindy Munford on September 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Still on the trip but the guys here have internet. (Actually better internet than Kandahar)
First, to Jonathan Welches family and friends, prayers.

As for my detachment, we’re doing fine and we’re safe. The rest of my guys are down for a mission we’re doing tonight and I can’t sleep. So of course, where else would I go?

We had a nice Labor Day meal here in their team mess. I ate, but an Afghan stomach bug gave it an express pass to the latrine. It was still good. Kind of have to let the belly empty to fly (no gas stations to pull over to) so a holiday meal was just extra special when I got back and could eat.

I saw corbettw’s comment and relied to him before I saw all of your other comments on page one. I should have read yours and ignored his.

All I can say is wow. I’m a 50 year old career soldier and you guys almost brought tears to my eyes with your well wishes. I don’t know where to begin to try to thank you except to maybe tell you how comments like all of yours affect us.

The very first day we arrived here (somewhere out west) we already had our aircraft bedded down and were just getting a mission run-down for the week. In the team CP, we followed one of their patrols out that was engaged in a TIC. First it was just a wounded soldier and then it was three wounded with two KIA. One American JTAC and an ANA soldier. We spooled back up to see it any of our aircraft were needed. After flying through the night to get here with my crew dead tired and not knowing when I’d be able to get back out of the cockpit to get to a bathroom, we all set our minds straight that we could go a little bit longer. No time clocks, no overtime and no Shop Steward. Just a bunch of men (and one woman in an Apache) who were still ready to put in a couple more hours if we were needed. We understand Labor Day too. Maybe even a little better than corbettw’s idea of remembering it with a hotdog.

Lastly, as this deployment drags on and this beat up old body is asked again and again to go another mile, I wonder how much all my friends back home and friends on Hot Air understand. I wonder if you know the strength and energy derived from your well wished and boxes. My Mom used to tell me of the times when she was growing up as a child living under the cloud of World War II. She said that it was woven into the very fabric of the nation; that desire to make the men and women overseas understand that they are not forgotten but right at the forefront of daily thought. I’m proud to understand that friends on Hot Air couldn’t use a holiday as a means of escaping the news of the war, but rather used it as a way of letting us know that you were still thinking of us.

Happy Labor Day

hawkdriver on September 8, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Thanks, and God Speed to all our servicemen and women on duty around the world, and to our Astronauts on duty topside!

Hand Salute

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on September 8, 2009 at 4:39 AM

WTF? The military gets Veterans’ Day, Memorial Day, and several others for each individual branch. Stop fellating soldiers long enough to have a hot dog and burger.

corbettw on September 7, 2009 at 4:04 PM

corbettw on September 7, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Still no excuse for you to have said what you said. If you are tired of seeing us give our regards to the military–why did you even come on this thread? If you WERE in the military, then it sounds like you were cut from the same cloth as Senator Kerry–hope that doesn’t go over your head. Our fellow citizens in the service don’t get a day off from their “labors”…
If you don’t like us saying how much we appreciate our service people, then don’t come to these threads, and STFU! We could thank our citizens soldiers every day of the year and it wouldn’t be enough for their sacrifice. You dishonor yourself and your family’s service by your vile words…“Stop fellating soldiers…”
I cannot believe that a “grown man” would stoop so low or be so spiteful and jealous. You sir, are an a$$!

lovingmyUSA on September 8, 2009 at 5:50 AM