Gibbs on Obama’s school speech: Mellow out

posted at 3:28 pm on September 4, 2009 by Allahpundit

They’re planning to release a copy of the speech on Monday so that parents can decide in advance whether listening to The One might turn their kids into children of the corn. I assume it’ll be perfectly palatable pap, although you never know: This is, after all, an administration staffed by Truthers, whose core health-care message during the critical August recess was “You’re a mob.”Pour it on, Gibbsy:

“I think we’ve reached a little bit of the silly season when the President of the United States can’t tell kids in school to study hard and stay in school,” Gibbs said at a gaggle with reporters, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller…

Gibbs pointed out to reporters Friday morning that two Republican presidents have given speeches to students: Ronald Reagan in 1988 and George H.W. Bush in 1991. Democrats were critical of those speeches, just as Republicans have been critical of Mr. Obama’s.

Some schools are electing not to show the president’s speech, though for many the reasons are logistical, not ideological, as the address coincides in many districts with the first day of school.

Asked about the fact that some schools are not planning to show the speech, Gibbs evoked school districts that “won’t let you read Huckleberry Finn.”

Via Tapper, here’s the transcript of Bush’s 1991 speech that was evidently carried live on CNN and PBS. Flag it now, as it’ll make for a handy yardstick against which to measure Obama’s. Meanwhile, for your amusement, here’s video from Greg Hengler of professional Obama shill Roland Martin endearing himself to conservative parents wary of The One’s message. Exit question: The boss makes a good point that parents have every reason to be suspicious of Obama given how radical some of his associates in the education arena are. Is that really what’s driving the fear among most conservatives, though? My hunch is that it has less to do with radicalism than with Hopenchange’s statist ambitions now potentially seeping into their kids’ classrooms.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Will someone … anyone… go kick that little turds butt?

His mouth is getting to large for his fat head!

upinak on September 4, 2009 at 3:30 PM

I am sure Obama’s handlers have re-written Obama’s address from top to bottom in order to embarrass his detractors.

Don’t worry, though, as they will find other ways to get inside the heads of our nation’s children.

After all, in Chairman Obama’s Amerika, children belong to the state, not to their parents.

Dave R. on September 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Gibbs is the irritating little A/V Club president I knew in high school.

Fletch54 on September 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM

:D

Biden want’s to see you in the cornfield…

JetBoy on September 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Silly as Van Jones, eh? Gee, no need to worry here at all.

Spiritk9 on September 4, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Well, in the grand scheme of things, being called “silly” sure as hell beats being called a “nazi”, “mob” or “evil-monger”. They’re definitely beginning to soften their message. ;P

Orange Doorhinge on September 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I plan on recording the speech and making it a drinking game out of it. One drink for everytime he says “me” or “I”. I figure I’ll be passed out within 5 minutes

JackofNoTrades on September 4, 2009 at 3:34 PM

This isn’t just about what the President might or might not say to our children anymore…

This protest is now becoming another expression of our fundamental distrust and loathing of the current Administration. It is a continuation of our protests at Tea Parties and Town Halls. We don’t want BO near our kids!

SPCOlympics on September 4, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Hey Gibbsy you ignorant mouthpiece, none of the other presidents had handouts and lesson plans. We’ve seen enough of Obama’s act now, and we know exactly what he was up to.

Sheesh.

fogw on September 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Ill say it again. Keep the political crap out of schools both (R)s and (D)s.

Greed on September 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Right now, nerves are jangled, tempers are hot, names have been called, the nation is in the middle of a big, fat family argument and everybody is feeling angry and vulnerable…and our tone-deaf president picks this moment to step into the classroom and screw with people’s kids.

I doubt there will be anything objectionable about his message, but his TIMING is idiotic.

S. Weasel on September 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Chill. You’re getting all wee-weed up over silly things like Obama acting like Hugo Chavez, communists, marxists and fascists in the administration, China flag at the WH. Just relax, this won’t hurt a bit.

Daggett on September 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Exit question: The boss makes a good point that parents have every reason to be suspicious of Obama given how radical some of his associates in the education arena are. Is that really what’s driving the fear among most conservatives, though? My hunch is that it has less to do with radicalism than with Hopenchange’s statist ambitions now potentially seeping into their kids’ classrooms, too.

It’s both, AP. I dislike it because it is the best example of centralization as applied to education I can think of. But that notion of centralization is a chief tenant of statism. And with statism so effectively utilizing centralization, the society is thus held to the whims of the state, and in this case it’s Obama and the nuts he’s surrounded himself with. Parents are more sophisticated than you think when it comes to their children. We’re always watching, wondering, how this or that is going to affect our kids in relation to what we have taught them.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM

If I hadn’t already seen creepy schoolchildren singing about how Obama’s gonna save us and creepy college age kids marching in a little Obama militia, this school thing wouldn’t bother me. The idea of a President addressing schoolchildren to advise them to do well in school is actually sweet, I think and under normal circumstances would be a good PR move.

But this President has no trust with the people right now, and so trying to score points with our children isn’t coming across the way it might in other times.

Fail.

ace tomato on September 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Dave R. on September 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Indeed….the way I framed it to my son’s school was:

May I know precisely what lesson you are planning on following the speech with?

A) no we have no district plan-translation we’ll let the teachers take the heat

I am of the opinion that the use of a speech or its follow on material for partisan political purposes is beyond the mission for either the District, or the PotUS is it the mission of Meadowfield to aid a particular President?

A) The district has said that we are allowing children the opportunity to see this speech…..*long pause*

My son’s moral and political development is his and my business.

a) exactly

so who knows?

sven10077 on September 4, 2009 at 3:38 PM

Dennis Miller called Gibbs “The PC Guy from the Apple commercial plus 50 lbs”

I thought that was accurate.

barrythrowslikeagirl on September 4, 2009 at 3:38 PM

I fully expect that at some point during the video the Presidential seal will rotate and hypotize the children. Obama will then insert thoughts into our kids like:
- 11% unemployment is good.
- I willingly accept that I must bear the national debt for the sake of my elders.
- My parents are trying to subvert Obama and my future prosperity.

WashJeff on September 4, 2009 at 3:38 PM

How politically tone deaf are they? Or is it arrogance? Enough of the leftist intrusions. Keep the kids home. Send a message.

elduende on September 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I don’t think the would have been any serious opposition had he just planned to speak for 15 minutes about the value of education, working hard and staying in school.

The problem is the timing (the first day of school for many districts) and primarily the lesson plan. The Department of Education program showcased Obama as some kind of super hero (put Obama quotes on the wall, how can you help the President – not our nation, but the President). This smacks of Germany in the 1930s or present-day North Korea.

bw222 on September 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I assume it’ll be perfectly palatable pap

Me too, but it’s not what he says so much as it is what the gubmit teachers do with it… like directing children to write letters to themselves about how they plan to support Obama’s agenda.

petefrt on September 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM

What most seem to be missing is that Reagan, Bush the Elder and W. did not task the DoEd to send out “lesson plans” to prep the kids for the speech and after.

One does not need a “lesson plan” when the President decides to talk to the citizens, even the young ones.

For what purpose, other than the glorification of Obama does this “lesson plan,” now apparently revised, serve?

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Hmmm…releasing the speech on Labor Day, a holiday when we will all be at family or neighborhood barbecues, less than a day before the speech?? I’m sure that all the schools required the kids to bring back their parents opt out forms within 48 hours of the event, so that means they were probably due yesterday.

Most transparent administration ever!!

7thson on September 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM

This is the first president who employs hired help that is a proud communist, truther, racist and who knows what else. Ayers, Michele, Rev Wright and the rest of the nutty nest were already enough to keep POTUS away from my kids.

Hening on September 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM

OK. Baghdad Bob, I’ll mellow out. Can you supply me with the stash to do so?

Del Dolemonte on September 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Obama = Malachai

Norwegian on September 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Roland, I think there’s a difference between a forced televised national speech to all government school kids as opposed to Bush reading a book to a class. Just saying…

V15J on September 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Look to what Obama wanted to do before the uproar: Make this all about Obama. After the uproar he changes the words, but his personal plan is the same: Get the kids loving him, not the USA. There is no reasonable basis to trust Obama, especially with our kids.

GaltBlvnAtty on September 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM

After all the uproar, he may just make a “study hard” speech, NOW. But I’d be willing to bet that the plan was “global warming”, health care, etc.

By the way, is “silly season” the same as “getting wee-weed up”?

RightWinged on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

We’ll quit fighting when you quit subverting…

d1carter on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

The difference between Obama and Bush, is the cult that follows Obama. When we have zombies giving their pledge to Obama…and they are the teachers and principals…I get nervous.

Conservative Voice on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I bet if someone researched it they could find arguments made by conservatives back in the day against having the Dept. of Education in the first place, that would express similar concerns about propagandizing children from Washington. I was too young at the time to understand or follow the arguments, but I remember hearing Reagan and others arguing against the Dept. of Education.

txmomof6 on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

You with your Hotair blogin’
And you skeptics always contemplatin’
How my coronation you’d like to start rearrangin’

When that’s not what you really should do
When heaven has found your children and you
Can’t you see
That it’s all wrapped up in the Messiah that’s Me
So follow Me

Come on, children
I’m Obama the Piper
And I’ll show you where Hope and Change is at
Come on, children
Can’t you see
I’m Obama the Piper
Trust in Me

Children
Don’t be worried about your parents payin’ big bucks to help Me move and grove
Hey, children
What do you think I’m tryin’ to prove
It ain’t true
That My Michelle would like to punch and rob your parents and you
It’s just in your mind
And that’s all that’s trickin’ you
So behind all My celebrities step in line

Come on, children
Turn in your evil racist parents for Me
Come on, children
Trust in My Teleprompter and My Pills and My Candy and Me
Come on, children
Can’t you see
Come on, children

MB4 on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Barack Hussein Obama and his ‘radical associates’ that he surrounds himself with are NOT positive roll models. They are a ‘bad influence’. Especially to impressionable young children.

…’nuff said.

SilverStar830 on September 4, 2009 at 3:45 PM

“I think we’ve reached a little bit of the silly season

The use of the word “silly” is the single-most accurate identifier of a liberal. They can’t help themselves. They throw it in as they throw up their hands when at a loss for further argument.

DrStock on September 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM

For me, it’s the Cult of Personality thing. The students should be spending the first day of class on orientation activities. Instead they’re getting a heaping helping of Dear Leader.

RushBaby on September 4, 2009 at 3:46 PM

It’s just your jive talkin’
You’ll be telling the kids lies
Jive talkin’
Maybe you should start wearing a disguise
Jive talkin’
So misunderstood
Jive talkin’
You really no good

With all your jive talkin’
Maybe you should start wearing a disguise
Good Lord
Get out of our eyes
Nobody believes what you say
It’s just your jive talkin’
That gets in the way

Jive talkin’

MB4 on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

What a waste of time. The time would be many times better spent with obama in a freshman economics text book. He has a lot to learn.

seven on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

it will be pap and the left will jump up and down about parents, so what. The media and the left are reduced to attacking concerned conservative parents as a way to bolster their extremists storyline, but as pointed out here between the truthers and and generally loons who have the presidents ear its not that big a stretch.

rob verdi on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

This administration is totally missing the big picture. Every voice raised in opposition gets dismissed. Parents? They’re being silly. Rick Santelli? Needs to stay off the caffeine. Tea Party protesters? Racists. Town Hall protesters? Astroturf.

They are wearing blinders when it comes to the mood of this country and it will cost them. Guaranteed.

Dee2008 on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I’ll just leave this here:

(The extraneous beginning/end stuff is stupid, but the main part makes you say “hmmmmmmm…”)

Abby Adams on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I’m betting the Hair Club for Men is dying to get their hands on Roland Martin.

Fish on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Conservative Voice on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

ObamaJugend

Norwegian on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I am wondering how long Gibbs will last.

It’s difficult to trust (or empathasize with) someone who has a perpetual smirk on his face.

bw222 on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

George H. W. Bush’s speech in ’91, hmm…

Wasn’t ’91 also the year we ended the Gulf War prematurely?

Yeah, now isn’t the time to ease up on a %#&@ thing.

Doorgunner on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Gibbsy, it’s not Obama’s speech I’m worried about, it’s his purple-shirted goons disguised as teachers propagandizing the kids impressionable minds. And the Admin already tipped its hand on that with the prep material.

Rogue on September 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Mellow Out or Van Jones will send San Quentin thugs to your house.

Oil Can on September 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM

This and other fine messes coming out of the White House indicate that the wheels of the Obama Bus are falling off…and nobody has the lug nuts to tighten things up.

Over the past month there has been a plethora of misstatements, fallacies, outright lies and a lot of spin, a whole lot of spin, from the Obama Administration on just about every subject under the sun.

The adults in charge? Not even close.

Keep hitting them, at some point the bus will grind to a halt, and then we can start to dismantle each and every falsely built step Obama and Company have tried to ram down our throats. Give them no ground. Surrender nothing. Demand full explanations, in writing, under signature, for every little bit of mischief they try to pull off. 2010 will either mean that we have lost, all of it, or it may, hopefully, mean that we have stopped the bus.

1234 days to go until a new President is sworn in. No time to relax at all.

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Exactly. It sets the tone for the entire school year if not directly influences the curriculum.

RushBaby on September 4, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Btw, convenient to release the speech on Monday, LABOR DAY, when no one will read it.

Rogue on September 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM

So we get to read the speech on Monday. Monday? “Well we could give you the speech now but the white out is still wet”.

Greed on September 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM

GHWB and Regan gave speeches to students, fine. Did the Department of Education send out letters with things to do for the ‘schoo’s’ and teachers before and after the speeches? I think not.

Sponge on September 4, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Gibbs has too much wee-wee in his brain.

wildcat84 on September 4, 2009 at 3:50 PM

How about wanting to be able to turn your head 10 degrees to the left or right without seeing Obama?

Jim Treacher on September 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I am SO sick of being alternately patronized or flat out insulted by this administration simply for my desire to raise my family in the ways I see fit.

As a public school teacher and a parent, I neither wanted to be subjected to yet another of Mr. Obama’s lectures nor have valuable classroom time wasted when we already have our time to teach being eroded because of the massive testing and paperwork requirements being increasingly foisted on us by the federal government.

It’s bad enough to see Mr. Obama on TV ad nauseum at home telling us how ignorant or lazy we are to not want his agenda, without having the right of consent as to what our children view at school. I have to sign a stack of permission forms for everything on the face of the earth to allow my teenager to watch a PG-13 video at school or have their picture taken, why would the government think they can by-pass parents and have it not raise any ire?

At home, as parents, we have the ability to discuss and watch with our children anything we feel is pertinent. While I genuinely like my collegues (even the misguided liberal ones), I don’t want their opinions, assignments or spin on Mr. Obama’s comments to be what my child learns in this ridiculous forced lecture.

This is a rhetorical question, but does the White House really believe that by issuing snarky and dismissive comments directed toward Americans that disagree with their grand schemes, they are going to be able to continue without consequences at the polls?

Nevermind, of course they do.

SassyDarlin on September 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Big difference, the Rs didn’t have the teachers make the chill’n do propaganda work sheets and give them lesson plans. I really don’t agree with this, regardless what party is doing it.

Leave the children alone.

tarpon on September 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I’m not here to tell you what to do or what to think.

George Bush

Can you imagine Osama Obama saying anything like that without choking? After all, it might make kids think about the Constitution and freedom instead of duty in the Obama Jugend.

Still hoping for a miracle: let this be the Child-President’s resignation speech!.

MrScribbler on September 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Abby Adams on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Wow! That doesn’t make me say Hmmmm… It makes me say, “Get your kids out of public schools now!”

Christian Conservative on September 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Oh, can we please not forget the William Ayers angle here:

Ayers teaches another course, “Social Conflicts of the 1960s” that promotes the agitprop from his and Dohrn’s Weather Underground Days. Paulo Freire was also a leading theoretician of Liberation Theology, which advocated that schools be used to promote revolutionary fervor and actions among the “oppressed” — which in Freire’s view included most of the world. Liberation theology is also advocated by Pastor Jeremiah Wright, which he has promoted through his pulpit for decades. While the liberation theology pushed by the Pastor has its roots in the work of James Cone, which fuses liberation theology with the cause of African-American liberation and activism, the work of Freire and Cone draw upon the same conceptual foundations.
Instead of educating teachers to prepare their students for the real world, and to acculturate immigrant children into the civic culture of America, Ayers is helping to create a cadre of teachers who will promote a view that is radically at odds with the mores of most Americans and that is divorced from the traditions of education in America.

This is from William Ayers’ blog wherein he quotes Cesar Chavez on what “teaching” is (note the emphasis on “service” and remember this speech is just prior to Obama’s national day of service):

The end of all education should surely be service to others. We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about the progress and prosperity of our community. Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others for their sake and for our own.

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Obama had planned to use his Socialist Mind Machine on the kids. After Obama turns our kids into Socialists he has requested that the doctor who made Michael Jackson White make all the kids Black.

Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck have saved our kids. They are true Patriots.

Decider on September 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Ah yes just mellow out… Don’t do a lot of talking just get out of the way!

podank on September 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Christian Conservative on September 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

In fact, Allah, how about putting that link (like Abby says without the corny stuff beginning and end) up as an update to this post? That would give a bit of credence concerning the indoctrination attempts by the teachers unions.

Christian Conservative on September 4, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Silly, wee-weed up, they keep using language that we use when speaking to children. We the people, take this seriously and will not stand by and be led into socialism. I don’t care how clean and articulate BO is, he is morally and ethically corrupt and more people are starting to see thru his lies.I cannot wait till the 2010 elections get here.

la.rt.wngr on September 4, 2009 at 3:55 PM

1: You haven’t released the speach, so we don’t know that’s what he’s going to say.
2: President Obama is a dishonest sh!t who is “governing” in permanent campaign mode. It is therefore reasonable to assume that his speech to the kids will be yet another campaign speech. We don’t need that in school.
3: He scheduled the speech a day before a big political speech. Why shouldn’t we assume there’s a tie in?

Greg Q on September 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM

I still find it curious that he’s scheduled this silly thing when schools primarily in the south and in RED states are already in session and the BLUE state ‘schoo’s’ are not in yet…

In other words, I question the timing.

Sponge on September 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM

All your chillens are belong to us.

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Abby Adams on September 4, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Unreal!

Weight of Glory on September 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Bingo! For me it was never an issue about the speech, but rather the questionnaire that goes along with it. Once again, the bleeders around The One can’t help themselves as they work up into an orgasmic frenzy and overshoot.

yubley on September 4, 2009 at 3:59 PM

OK. Baghdad Bob, I’ll mellow out. Can you supply me with the stash to do so?

Del Dolemonte on September 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Hey, Del…long time, no see. Miss you from the PLF days. Glad to see you are still out there.

trapeze on September 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Alert: Pinky biter is on video

faraway on September 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM

OT:

Happy Birthday Allahpundit!

RushBaby on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Uh huh. The New Jersey Extortion Education Association has no ulterior motives. Move along.

bloviator on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Keep it up, Gibbs. Keep being a condescending prickhead. You’re part of the reason O’s numbers are going south.

bridgetown on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Dave R. on September 4, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Daggett on September 4, 2009 at 3:37 PM

Conservative Voice on September 4, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Decider on September 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I see many of you have decided to go psycho over this.

Godspeed.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Alert: Pinky biter is on video

faraway on September 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Another reason not to give a GOP response to Obama’s address. The presenter may lose a finger.

WashJeff on September 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM

All your chillens schoochillens are belong to us.

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

had to fix that

RushBaby on September 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM

I guess he’s afraid everyone is getting all “wee-wee’d” up again.

vcferlita on September 4, 2009 at 4:04 PM

All your chillens are belong to us.

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

“Who controls your kids?” Michelle nails it again with this quote from Bravard County.

Christian Conservative on September 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM

My open letter to the president

First Mr. Obama, I know nothing about your education and how well you did because you continue to spend big money hiding those records behind locked doors.

Second, You have given me nothing but distrust in the way you are running towards everything I am vehemently against.

Third, everyone you seem to surround yourself seems to either be a crook, communist, activist, radical, America hater, truther (yeah, thought I didn’t know about Van Jones did you?) and other forms of low-life scum I refuse to associate myself with.

Fourth, you have a horrible record of keeping any of your promises made during the election.

You are such a stranger to what I think, why in the world would you think I would be thrilled that you want to speak to my children?

My children are my responsibility. I am charged with protecting them during their formative years and for the above reasons I can not trust anything you say.

P.S. You may be re-writing your speech as I speak, it won’t change my concerns. Seems you have had to back up and regroup several times in the past few months because you got it wrong in the first place. You really need to take charge of your administration and quit letting the frat boys run things.

fbcmusicman on September 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM

All your chillens are belong to us.

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM

As soon as they turn their parents in, all of you will belong to our Stammlager.

DasObamaReich on September 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM

The presenter may lose a finger.

WashJeff on September 4, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Obama? Finger?

coldwarrior on September 4, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Here’s that video without the weird/stupid stuff:

Abby Adams on September 4, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Hey Gibbly…..It’s because the people are on to yo clowns….He’s a MARXIST!!

No amount of your smugness and your mistreatment of the BOOTLICKERS in the WH Press Corps will change that.

“Silly Season”?

Yep, since 1-20-09 at noon.

PappyD61 on September 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Decider on September 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM
I see many of you have decided to go psycho over this.
Godspeed.
Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Hey superior intellect, Decider is a Liberal Troll just like you. He was attempting sarcasm. Why don’t you two great intellects fight among yourselves? We’ll watch.

kingsjester on September 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Here is the real question in my mind.

How much did or will that speach change now that it will be distributed prior, and now that their is clearly a LOT of suspicious parents voicing an opinion?

It’s easy now to say mellow out, but what was that original speach going to cover?

It may go down as “see, we told you not to worry” deal, but I say it was a victory over indoctrination. Somebody go ahead and prove me wrong.

JusDreamin on September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I guess I’m just not understanding why this school address is necessary or even wanted by the general public. Why is he even doing this?

rollthedice on September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Talking about Van Jones on CNN right now. Woah, they just cut it off midstream! Went to commercial.

faraway on September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

It wasn’t so long ago that Al Gore was telling the nation’s children that “There are some things about our world that you know that older people don’t know…”. I wonder how much of Obama’s speech would be a continuation of that theme. “Your parents are wonderful people, but they just don’t know [fill in the blank]…”.

Left Coast Right Mind on September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

So we have gone from weed-up to silly fairly fast.

MES401067 on September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I see many of you have decided to go psycho over this.

Godspeed.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

NOsir. There are several of us that do not trust this man. We don’t trust them to do right by our children. He and his wife both stated during the campaign that he’s going to require us to ‘work harder’ to make America what he thinks it should be and his forced volunteerism and all that. We’re expressing displeasure toward the ONE campaign promise he’s decided to keep.

Sponge on September 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM

“I think we’ve reached a little bit of the silly season when the President of the United States can’t tell kids in school to study hard and stay in school”

Hey Gibblets! Maybe it has to do with the fact that this President you’re refering to would not waste the time to tell kids in school something that should be common knowledge to them! Maybe he had something else in mind, like urging kids to telling their parents to endorse Obamacare, cap and trade, and all sorts of other extracurricular activities.

I do believe something like that is known as indoctrination, and naturally, it has concerned parents up in arms, as it should.

Maybe your boss should involve himself with other more pressing issues, like what to do to shut Van Jones up once and for all.

pilamaye on September 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I see many of you have decided to go psycho over this.

Godspeed.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM

The Republican Party is going down insane rabbit hole that they will never return from. It is fun to watch the all the crazy.

Decider on September 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Once again, it’s not the idea of the President talking to the Nation’s children – it’s what comes after the mostest greatest, mostest wickedest awesomest speech to kids… evah. Writing letters pledging to help Obama? All they had to do was have that be “writing letters pledging to help the country” or “the world.”

Once again, the left – in love with the idea of being ruled by a Chavez-like dictator and all too ready to elevate Giggles to god-king status – completely and utterly misses the point. Leader worship and a republic don’t mix.

crazy_legs on September 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I think they’re more afraid their kids might turn into children of ACORN.

Kensington on September 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

MrScribbler on September 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Obama could resign and then beg forgiveness for placing the children in debt for the rest of their lives.

farright on September 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

…besides, if it wasn’t such a big deal, why did the lesson plan change so drastically? We went from writing letters pledging to help Giggles to writing letters outlining how to make this a better school year.

Again… if it’s not such a big deal, why not stand on your principals?

crazy_legs on September 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Mellow out: Gibbsy is smokin’ wee-weed again.

farright on September 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Simply amazing that any one pays any attention to Gibbs any more!

Cybergeezer on September 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Simply amazing that any one pays any attention to Gibbs any more!

Cybergeezer on September 4, 2009 at 4:14 PM

It’s a very short list.

HoustonRight on September 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM

MrScribbler on September 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM

farright on September 4, 2009 at 4:10 PM

After resigning, Obama would then spend some of the rest of his remaining time on earth in trying to forgive himself for making the country worse off when he could have made it better off with the same effort and he would spend the rest of his time on earth living with his half brother in Kenya studying horticulture.

MB4 on September 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM