Gibbs on Obama’s school speech: Mellow out

posted at 3:28 pm on September 4, 2009 by Allahpundit

They’re planning to release a copy of the speech on Monday so that parents can decide in advance whether listening to The One might turn their kids into children of the corn. I assume it’ll be perfectly palatable pap, although you never know: This is, after all, an administration staffed by Truthers, whose core health-care message during the critical August recess was “You’re a mob.”Pour it on, Gibbsy:

“I think we’ve reached a little bit of the silly season when the President of the United States can’t tell kids in school to study hard and stay in school,” Gibbs said at a gaggle with reporters, according to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller…

Gibbs pointed out to reporters Friday morning that two Republican presidents have given speeches to students: Ronald Reagan in 1988 and George H.W. Bush in 1991. Democrats were critical of those speeches, just as Republicans have been critical of Mr. Obama’s.

Some schools are electing not to show the president’s speech, though for many the reasons are logistical, not ideological, as the address coincides in many districts with the first day of school.

Asked about the fact that some schools are not planning to show the speech, Gibbs evoked school districts that “won’t let you read Huckleberry Finn.”

Via Tapper, here’s the transcript of Bush’s 1991 speech that was evidently carried live on CNN and PBS. Flag it now, as it’ll make for a handy yardstick against which to measure Obama’s. Meanwhile, for your amusement, here’s video from Greg Hengler of professional Obama shill Roland Martin endearing himself to conservative parents wary of The One’s message. Exit question: The boss makes a good point that parents have every reason to be suspicious of Obama given how radical some of his associates in the education arena are. Is that really what’s driving the fear among most conservatives, though? My hunch is that it has less to do with radicalism than with Hopenchange’s statist ambitions now potentially seeping into their kids’ classrooms.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

She’s right out of central casting for the “insufferable, controlling mom who won’t let her kid just be a kid” part.

crr6 on September 4, 2009 at 5:51 PM

yeah…sucks being a responsible parent. Too bad you don’t recognize what one is.

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 5:55 PM

By this point in his presidency, GW Bush had put forth, and the congress had passed, a massive tax cut, (thus keeping a campaign promise,) and a truly bipartisan education reform initiative (thus keeping a campaign promise.
Your guy; what campaign promises has he kept.
It must sting liberals, the way he’s doing you.
massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Massive tax cut for the wealthy… how’d that work out for us? Not very well. NCLB was a good attempt, but created a lot of unfunded mandates and was protested by 20 states.

Obama’s campaign promise progress. He’s been President for 7 months and is addressing far more sweeping reforms than Bush ever did… if you don’t count getting thousands killed and wasting billions in an attack on the wrong country. We could sure use that money now.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Well if it’s any comfort RepubChica, if your kid isn’t indoctrinated Tuesday he sure will be at Princeton!

crr6 on September 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Exactlty!! I do not care what the actual subject matter is…I do NOT want this slime having ANY interaction or influence on my kids, period.

NY Conservative on September 4, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Here I’ll disagree with you. He’s a wonderful example of the lefts vacuity. He makes a great example of the pitfalls of socialism.

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Never confuse effort with results. and you’re right, all that Iraq money would certainly have been useful after that nuclear bomb went off in the port of LA.

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 5:57PM

In answer to your comment about the tax cuts. They worked out very well. Provably, they stimulated the economy, and (as all such true stimulus does) increased the tax revenue.

Re: NCLB – the mandates were unfunded because, after passage of the bill, congress declined to fully fund it. The states that “protested it” didn’t like having to perform to any standard; even ones they themselves set.

You then provide a link to PolitiFact.com.

They say;

PolitiFact has compiled more than 500 promises that Barack Obama made during the campaign

They claim 41 have been “kept” but that less than half are even “in the works.”

My point (which you haven’t disproven) is that Bush, by this point in his term, had kept two of his major campaign promises.

President Obama has not done any of the “big things” he promised.

If he has, Gibbs and company have kept them mighty quiet – perhaps they are too humble to promote their successes?

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM

The Prezisadunce has just released the text of his new and improved school speech.

Hi kids

My name is Barack Hussain Obama, and I own your parents and grandparents . You can call me Dear Leader or Comrade.
So how are you all doing today.
I am very proud to speak down to you today. I never imagined there will be so many of you after my people spend so much money over the years to not have you boogerbuds born .
Anyway, so let me be clear. I want you kids to help me . Your teachers will make sure you do that. First , your teacher will help you all to make a video where each and everyone of you will describe what your parents say about me at home. Go around your house and see if there is an American flag or a gun . If you find any , tell it to your teacher.Do your parents force you to play baseball instead of soccer? Tell your teacher about it. If your parents or grandparents take you to a church every Sunday, make you say prayers at bedtime, force you to eat turkey on thanksgiving, tell your teacher. If you get gifts from your parents and relatives this Christmas, tell your parents that if you can’t celebrate Ramadan fasting, you won’t celebrate Christmas either. Your teacher will tell you what Ramadan is. Always sit down for dinner with your parents . Listen to what they talk about. Then tell it to your teacher. If you hear them speak words like America, Constitution, Liberty, Money, or Work, make sure your teacher knows about it.
My office is sending your school some DVDs and CDs with movies and songs . Your teachers know what to do with them .
Your parents don’t have to know about anything you or your teachers do at school. Believe me. I am the President.
This is all for today.
I will keep in touch with your teachers and Principle.

You have nothing to fear. I am the most powerful man in the world. I need your help.

Your teachers are your best friends. You can tell them anything.
Now repeat after me:

My parents are morons
My grandparents are morons
My relatives are morons
I will live and die for Mr Obama because he let me be born
So dear children , bye for now
I will see you soon

macncheez on September 4, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Man that Mr. Roland Martin suuuurre is worked up, actually yelling about parents wanting to have a say in what their children get taught in schools. They “shouldn’t have a right” to exclude their kids from something they don’t want taught and if they insist on it they’re, and I quote,

“insane.”

Wowee. The sheer fury of Mr. Martin at parents who have the audacity to insist on their rights to their own children’s educational input is More. Than. Creepy.

inviolet on September 4, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Had to take care of a patient. Did crr6 get properly spanked?

gina4 on September 4, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Had to take care of a patient. Did crr6 get properly spanked?

gina4 on September 4, 2009 at 6:25 PM

It was last seen sniveling in the corner telling RC that she’d get hers.

Somehow, I think not.

Patient ok?

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Hey Obama! STFU and LMKA!!!

Maquis on September 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Funding wasn’t in the bill? Way to go home and claim victory without finishing the job. You’ll have to source that second statement.

I never sought to disprove that he kept that huge count of 2 promises. I take issue with the idea that they were good for the country. His other big promises were to overhaul medicare and social security; nothing there. He had 8 years to do it all. Again, Obama is 7 months in.

President Obama has not done any of the “big things” he promised.

“Big things” defined as?

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Again, Obama is 7 months in.

and screwing things up quite well. W was a piker compared this guy.

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Really all you can do is laugh this crap off.

crr6 on September 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Hmmm. You sure seem pretty concerned about it.

RushBaby on September 4, 2009 at 5:18 PM

the troll crr6 again seems to have an inappropriate interest in children. In between the lib talking points, the creepiness is obvious and persistent

Janos Hunyadi on September 4, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Back again, another patient. I do imaging studies, so don’t worry, I’m not neglecting anyone:)
Glad to hear crr6 has gone somewhere. She’s kinda wicked.

gina4 on September 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM

gina4 on September 4, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Is crr6 back to posing as a woman again? It was doing that for a while, then said it was male–but it’s odd creepy interest in children continues on……..

and yeah, the insults and lame talking points add to the fun

Janos Hunyadi on September 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Ahhh, gotta go, duty calls.I’ll read up on this later.

gina4 on September 4, 2009 at 7:02 PM

“Janos Hunyadi on September 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM”

I don’t know what it is, I just thought it was a woman. Oops.

OK, bye!

gina4 on September 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I had written:

You replied:

This is called conflation; I mentioned increases in tax revenue; you brought in the deficit. Moving the goalposts does not work.

I had also said;

You replied:

Again, re-read; after passage of the billis the key here: Lots of bills require supplemental funding. Your answer is non-responsive.

Later, you say:

More conflation: we were discussing “Obama so far;” you bring in 2nd term initiatives.

Then, you quoted my post, saying:

President Obama has not done any of the “big things” he promised.

And you then asked:

“Big things” defined as?

Anything, approximating the scope of the accomplishments I cited would be fine.
I’m looking for a large-scale campaign promise.
Got one?

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM

“Well, no. The budget deficit he created says otherwise. According to the CBO the cuts accounted for half the deficit, and that was in 2004. Bush started his term with a budget surplus.”

Constantine on September 4

Untrue.
At the end of the last Clinton he had a Deficit $133.29 billion and a Dept of $5.807463 trillion.

You can have your own opinion but you cannot have yur own facts.

My numbers come from the U.S. Treasury here’s the link.

Now if you said Clinton had PROJECTED a surplus, that would be correct.

Amazing how many people start with his PROJECTED surplus, morphs into claiming an ACTUAL surplus, that never happened.

It should also be noted that when Bush took office we already had 2 consecutive quarters with negative growth. Today that is called a recession. On March 1st 2001 we had our 3rd consecutive quarters with negative growth and that was called a recession.

Strange I don’t recall Bush endlessly whining about “inheriting a recession”. And he could legitimately make that claim, after all he was not part of the Federal gov. before taking office, something Obama can’t claim.

In short, Clinton never had a surplus, only projected surplus. Never really went after OBL, just a token strike in 1998, OBL retaliated with 9/11.

DSchoen on September 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

DSchoen on September 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Sadly, I think constantine (constant-troll?) left us.
Way too much fact getting in the way of his ranting.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I’m sure this will be down the memory hole very shortly, so you might want to check it out post haste: YouTube school video of what looks like 2nd or 3rd graders chanting:
“Mm, mm, mm, Barack Hussein Obama.
He said we all must take a stand,
to make sure everyone gets a chance.
Mm, mm, mm, Barack Hussein Obama.
Mm, mm, mm, Barack Hussein Obama…”
Wait, it gets even better worse:
They sing a
NEW VERSION of the Battle Hymn of the Republic“:

“Hooray Mr. President, we’re very proud of you, we say for all America, the great red, white & blue. Hooray, Mr. President, we honor you today…”
See if you’re not a little creeped out by the whole Commu- Cultish “Dear Leader” vibe after watching.(I haven’t read all the comments yet, so if this is a repeat, apologies in advance.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Somewhere, in a very hot place, Leni Reifenstahl is smiling.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM

It’s not conflation, as the tax cuts contributed to the deficit, temporary revenue increases notwithstanding. You can’t claim they exist in a vacuum. His 2003 tax cut attempted to remedy the situation created by… his 2001 tax cut. Again, my point was not that he didn’t keep his promise, but that what he accomplished was no lasting help to the economy.

Again, re-read; after passage of the bill is the key here: Lots of bills require supplemental funding. Your answer is non-responsive.

My opinion is that a bill not fully funded is a flawed bill. The budget for 2005 included $24.9 billion for Elementary and Secondary Education Act programs. No Child Left Behind called for $34.3 billion. That’s $9.4 billion of missing funding that the act itself required to work. I’m interested to learn your take on why this happened.

The initiatives I mentioned were campaign promises Bush made in 2000. The phrase “2nd term initiatives” is nonsensical here.

Anything, approximating the scope of the accomplishments I cited would be fine. I’m looking for a large-scale campaign promise. Got one?

I’d say a couple of these qualify, particularly #15 and #125.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM

Sadly, I think constantine (constant-troll?) left us.
Way too much fact getting in the way of his ranting.
massrighty on September 4

Too bad I was looking forward to clarifying my point.

It woulda looked something like this.

Constantine, let me clarify
The CBO does Projections.
The U.S. Treasury does Reality.

Do you need the difference explained?

DSchoen on September 4, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:20 PM

All of your answers are fully non-responsive. You’ve had a couple of tries, now.

You can’t use reason, cite facts, or even stay on point, without conflation.

You should practice more; this here’s the big leagues.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 8:32 PM

You can’t use reason, cite facts, or even stay on point, without conflation.
You should practice more; this here’s the big leagues.
massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I’ve cited plenty of facts which you’ve chosen to ignore. Your summary dismissal without addressing or countering the points is unfortunate but understandable when you don’t have a leg to stand on.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:37 PM

All the facts you cited were non-responsive to my original and subsequent posts. I only dismissed them after you had had several opportunities to get it right, and chose not to.

Cute, that you would try to turn your inability to engage in an appropriate debate into my failure.

Put another way; we both have reputations here, based on our posts.

I’ll keep mine, thanks.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Wait, wait–George Strait was the head of the Texas Republican Party? He’s a great singer, but I didn’t know he was involved in politics.

radjah shelduck on September 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM

DSchoen on September 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I stand corrected. I can see the deficit has followed a steady trend upward since before 1950, though it decreased as a percentage of GDP under Clinton as compared to the Reagan years. Under Bush it increased sharply, again, as a percentage of GDP.

See, massrighty? Facts can be your friend if you get them right.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM

DSchoen on September 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

the US gov’t hasn’t had an operating surplus since the surtax of Johnson. CLinton/Gore gave the US a barnum and bailey circus act.

BTW…on NCLB

“Title I funding to districts for disadvantaged children increased from $42.2 billion to $55.7 billion from 2001, the fiscal year before the law’s passage, to fiscal year 2004″

Just because the districts didn’t get all the money they wanted doesn’t mean it wasn’t funded. Flat out, gov’t set standards for receiving federal funds.

The funding was authorized by NCLB, the “protesting states” just had to ask for it and agree to meet standards. Liberal teachers didn’t want to have to meet standards, they just wanted their free dough.

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM

See, massrighty? Facts can be your friend if you get them right.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM

and what happened in 1994?

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 9:02 PM

See, massrighty? Facts can be your friend if you get them right.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Let me know when you have successfully refuted any of the facts I cited.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 8:03 PM
Somewhere, in a very hot place, Leni Reifenstahl is smiling.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Ahh, I remember it like it was yesterday… back when I first saw it, it was (I’m really dating myself) an educational filmstrip called “The Twisted Cross”.
“Triumph of the Will”, very powerful… and it’s FULL VERSION- 1 hr & 44 min is still available on YouTube!

NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM

See, massrighty? Facts can be your friend if you get them right.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM

Let me know when you have successfully refuted any of the facts I cited.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM

massrighty
, speaking of facts, did you hear about the propaganda machine “FACTCHECK.ORG CAPITULATES- Admits error in Obama Kenyan Citizen AnalysisFactCheck.org was FORCED TO CORRECT THEIR LYING CLAIMS ABOUT OBAMA’S BRITISH/KENYAN CITIZENSHIP AFTER SKILLED ATTORNEY/RESEARCHER LEO DONOFRIO CAUGHT THEM IN THEIR LIES Of course that was followed by the obligatory “scrubbing” of all mistakes. Fortunately for us there is the WayBack Machine Archives & cached copies on Leo Donofrio’s site

I don’t suppose we’ll see any threads here about the subject until & unless Glenn Beck gets on board & Allah has to begrudgingly acknowledge him like on the Horowitz/Beck thread.

NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Let me know when you have successfully refuted any of the facts I cited.
massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Done. See previous post.

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM

NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Factcheck is, as we all know, not a very reliable site.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Simply saying so, doesn’t make it so. You had lots of chances; failed every time.

Now, you’re just being petulant.
Try harder.

massrighty on September 4, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Constantine What did the deficit as a percentage of GDP do between 2003 and 2007? And after 2007?

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM

the propaganda machine “FACTCHECK.ORG CAPITULATES- Admits error in Obama Kenyan Citizen Analysis” FactCheck.org was FORCED TO CORRECT THEIR LYING CLAIMS ABOUT OBAMA’S BRITISH/KENYAN CITIZENSHIP AFTER SKILLED ATTORNEY/RESEARCHER LEO DONOFRIO CAUGHT THEM IN THEIR LIES
NightmareOnKStreet on September 4, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Obama was born in the United States; this is the meaning of the phrase “natural born citizen.” So what is the significance of Obama’s dual citizenship?

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Maybe Gibbs should listen to Obama’s comrades like Ayers. SDS…indoctrinating children.

njpat on September 4, 2009 at 10:40 PM

ummmmm…deficits?

Fighton03 on September 4, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Constantine, I’ve read your circle-jerk-troll-fest above, and I’m not interested in watching.
To anyone who doesn’t get that you can’t be “governed” by the laws of another country at birth as Obama stated in his biography AND simultaneously hold allegiance to NO OTHER nation-at birth (as is required for POTUS eligibility), I say this: There are none so blind as those who will not see “bliefers” (Blind Believers in Obama)
Stay tuned, “bliefers”. The time for Obama to turn over all his cards is way overdue. If he persists in his arrogant disrespect for the citizens of this country who want this issue resolved, it will get ugly. And I, for one, pledge not to look away, no matter how gruesome it gets. ;’P No more sweet dreams for you…

NightmareOnKStreet on September 5, 2009 at 12:39 AM

AP: My hunch is that it has less to do with radicalism than with Hopenchange’s statist ambitions . . .

Radicalism. Statist ambitions. Same thing dude, seeping into classrooms, not because of this speech, but because of the opportunity to preach it will provide to devoted, acolyte teachers. It won’t be a conspiracy, but merely an overflow of affection for the One, and commitment to whatever policy positions they may have gleaned from his fantastic fantasy campaign.

Woe upon the classrooms led by acolyte teachers.

exdeadhead on September 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Woe upon the classrooms led by acolyte teachers.

exdeadhead on September 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Woe unto any teacher that attempts to do that to my son. I’ve noticed that most of them can’t even outmaneuver him. It’s kind of humorous when they have to whine to me that they are too weak to teach him. BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Fighton03 on September 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM

exdeadhead on September 5, 2009 at 12:57AM

BTW,,,,did you try to sell me a veggie burrito in Vegas in 95?

LOL

Fighton03 on September 5, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Constantine on September 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Aside from the fact that Bush didn’t actually start with a surplus, there’s a little inconvenient fact about one particular Govt agency that bent over and got a little budget raping during Clinton’s two terms.

That same Govt agency received the same kind of budget raping during another President’s term, from 1976 – 1980.

In each case, the successor President had to spend massive $$$ to fix the foolhardy procurement holiday taken by the previous President.

So yes, Bush ’43 had to spend a lot of money when he first came in to office on replenishing the Department of Defense.

As did Reagan.

Meanwhile the One, the Hope of the World, is spending money we don’t have at a lightning clip, but oddly enough, there’s only one Govt agency which Obama demands reduce its spending.

One.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm….

Wanderlust on September 5, 2009 at 8:36 AM

Woe upon the classrooms led by acolyte teachers.

exdeadhead on September 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Fighton03 on September 5, 2009 at 1:22 AM

I wonder what you want, exdeadhead and fighton. You’re convinced that the evil public schools have failed your children, that teachers (even conservative teachers like me) are out to indoctrinate your kids, and we are guilty until proven innocent.

This public school teacher is an advocate of homeschooling, private schooling, and even school vouchers. Beyond that, what is your suggestion? Destroy all the public schools? Return property taxes and force parents to pay for private school education? Hey, I’m cool with that. Do you think it will happen?

Nope, I don’t either, and I notice that, despite your assertions, you both send your children to public schools. This is a perfect example of why conservatives need to fight for the continuation of privately-held health insurance; once a takeover is entrenched, it’s hard to pull back–even for conservatives, who largely send their kids to public schools.

But since public schools ARE entrenched, what is your suggestion? I’m a devout conservative. I remain in public schools partly because that’s where the battle is. If I give up, then I turn classrooms over entirely to liberal teachers.

If universal health care prevails and becomes entrenched, we are at the mercy of those who continue to work in it for philanthropic reasons, who want to heal and will do anything, work anywhere, to do it. I so deeply respect children that I want to go where I’m needed most–the public schools. You want to drive me away by villianizing, demoralizing, and lambasting me? Or would you want me to teach your children patriotism, capitalism, free marketplace, free exchange of ideas, and the power of the individual?

I’m so sick of getting battered in this debate, fellow patriots. At this rate you’re going to get what you think you already have: conservatives teachers, lampooned and ostracized by their own party, will go underground, stop fighting, give up.

That’s my last word on this topic–manifesto over.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

“Silly season”-Is that code talk for sit down and shut up?
It’s NOT working Gibsey. Not working at all…

indypat on September 5, 2009 at 10:28 AM

The magnitude of the deficit is immaterial. The question is whether tax receipts increased or decreased. If the receipts increased then the tax cuts had the intended affect upon the economy. This is a different question as to whether federal spending increased inappropriately.

What brain dead leftists always fail to appreciate is that when people get to keep the fruits of their labor they work harder and longer causing tax receipts to increase when tax rates are lowered.

As for Dear Leader’s speech to our children… Parents have the right to choose. Parents. Not the government. Parents. Regardless of the content of the speech, Parents get to choose. Naturally statists want to displace the role of parents which is why they hate homeschooling so much, but for now this is still the USA.

crashland on September 5, 2009 at 10:47 AM

The two prior presidential speeches to students were based on Americana. The oaf that is presently in office is intent only on warming up to students with his ideology of socialism and worse. He is NOT an American in his thinking and does NOT want the best for this marvelous country. I do not want my kids to be presented with any of the propaganda that makes this guy tick. Stay away from my kids. Can’t win over the populace so you move to the kids. Pick on somebody your own size you sham.

highninside on September 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I wish you were my grandkids teacher! As parents/grandparents,it is our duty to be vigilant and be a partner in our children’s school/classroom. Keep the faith and the fight–we need more like you.

lovingmyUSA on September 5, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I read somewhere that some school districts don’t even start classes until the 9th of Sept.

hippieforlife on September 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM

PRESIDENTIAL MARXIST INDOCTRINATION IS BAD!!!
bschmalfeldt on September 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Fixed it for you, Scooter.

kingsjester on September 5, 2009 at 3:57 PM

The speech won’t be released until Monday? – they must still be focus grouping it.

You all realize that this is more than a speech and done, there is a pre & postlesson plan pk-6 and lesson plan 7-12 that accompanies the speech. The plan includes a video contest with a early October deadline for entry.

Pulling your kids out won’t remove them from the lesson -only from the speech delivered by him. The materials and the message – however the teacher chooses to interpret them – will remain in the class setting until at least early October.

To be sure the original speech was written in conjunction with it’s supporting lesson plan. It has to be re-written and now neutered, it may in fact have no resemblance to the current lesson plan… no mention of “I” or “me” since the teachers will cover that in the lesson plan, should they choose to do/be directed to it.

batterup on September 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

batterup on September 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Yawn, move on, we quashed it. Congrats all. No way, no how is this speech going to be anything BUT benign…NOW.
Patiots: 1
Anarchists (or Antichrists???): 0.
Start fighting the next battle: Czargate here we come!

Chewy the Lab on September 5, 2009 at 7:16 PM

Pull the nationwide speech…
Stop the Cult of Personality with the children…
NOW…

Khun Joe on September 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM

as I recall from Con Law II, the whole prayer in schools thing was an issue b/c kids who did NOT want to pray would be made to ‘feel different’ not praying or leaving the room

so how does my kid not feel different if I ‘opt out’? I might just keep him home al day

we got a note home saying his school and teacher ARE showing the speech LIVE at 1200 AZ time, either hubby is commpanying nhim or he is staying home I think

I dont want him pulled out all alone…

I hate this crxp

cant TOTUS just leave us alonw

ginaswo on September 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM

They’re one in the same.

Dr. ZhivBlago on September 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM

OMG….a visionary….this video is from 2008!

njpat on September 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM

His speech is totally innocuous once you’ve been inoculated with ritalin injections from school Nurse who runs the local Teacher’s Union goon squad.

Geochelone on September 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Well, I’ve already posted on this issue. It’s ridiculous, and Gibbs is right.

This is, indeed, the silly season.

AnninCA on September 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Well, I’ve already posted on this issue. It’s ridiculous, and Gibbs is right.

This is, indeed, the silly season.

Huh? Really? I suggest that you do a little more reading on Ayers and SDS. Don’t think it matters? Read and understand their MO and I can guarantee you will change your mind.

njpat on September 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM

njpat on September 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM

zackly. This is right out of Ayers education infiltration playbook.

Geochelone on September 5, 2009 at 11:06 PM

njpat on September 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM

It’s a flipping speech about staying in school, being aware of civic duty.

You guys are reinforcing attitudes that the anger is about his race.

You seriously are doing that.

And I can tell you that you may get a bunch of attention, but you’ll never get votes unless you’re fair-minded.

That’s a promise.

AnninCA on September 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM

bschmalfeldt on September 5, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Apples and oranges, pal.

I don’t recall the recommended follow-up assigments about how students would plan to help President Reagan or art projects featuring images and quotes of President Reagan. It’s that sort of bureaucratic interference offered by President Obama’s Department of Education that are leaving some parents a little uneasy.

Now the recommended assignments are gone and the president has a few days to re-work his speech to be as benign as possible… but don’t lose heart… perhaps he can have one of Fat Bastard Kennedy’s grandchildren do a cameo about national health care.

D2Boston on September 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Hmmm…an example of Obama’s brainwashing, notice the SEIU tee shirts. This makes me sick.

njpat on September 5, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on September 5, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Well, Grace…are you a teacher who will respond to e-mails from parents? Do you make yourself available after school to meet with parents who ask? Do you return graded assignments and tests quickly so students and parents can form home study plans? If so you would only be the second teacher my son has had outside of catholic school who did.

Do you believe in discipline rather than punishment? Do you hold your students accountable rather than just ignore their problems?

Do you believe that those who start fights should be punished and those who defend themselves or other should be praised?

Your answer to all of those questions should be yes, but my overwhelming experience in the Kalifornia school system is “no”.

The reason I had to take my son out of his catholic school is very simple. money. I couldn’t afford to maintain an additional 5k/yr. I took the chance on public because I knew my son passed the GATE test. The middle school my son would have gone to if he didn’t get into his charter school had a very admirable goal….LITERACY. That’s right, their great goal for their students is that they can read by the time they finish 8th grade. Forgive me for being underwhelmed. My son read the first Harry Potter book in second grade, and hasn’t stopped reading since.

If you are a conservative teacher, my comment about “woe to any teacher” wouldn’t effect you because you wouldn’t be trying to propagandize my son and would be able to answer his questions effectively without insisting he agree with your opinion.

Fighton03 on September 5, 2009 at 11:55 PM

It’s a flipping speech about staying in school, being aware of civic duty.

Really? no ones seen it yet and you know? But we do know the lesson plans ‘suggested’ by the white house encouraged students to help the president, NOT learn about our government. Hmmmmmmm

You guys are reinforcing attitudes that the anger is about his race.

You seriously are doing that.

Really???? I have yet to see a race related post on this topic. ‘Methinks the lady doth protest too much’.

That’s a promise.

AnninCA on September 5, 2009 at 11:16 PM

We are fair minded Ann, we’ve evaluated the presidents proposals and actions and thoroughly disagree with them. Get used to it. I’m sorry you’re so closed minded and insecure that you can’t accept that other would disagree with your judgements.

Fighton03 on September 6, 2009 at 12:04 AM

Trust is a terrible thing to waste!

chickasaw42 on September 6, 2009 at 1:17 AM

The problem with Obama’s speech may have been fixed, and the “lesson plan” loosened, but we have a bad taste from the lesson plan — that the kids were being asked, not to help themselves by getting a good education and staying away from bad influences, but to help the President and his agenda.

The implications were that the President was going to discuss his agenda in his speech. We all still remember the Obama kid’s site, where any progressive kid could go to get the talking points to convince their stodgy parents to vote for Mr. Obama. Was this going to be round two? Seemed so.

GHW Bush’s speech was architypically conservative — his main talking point was that you are, in the end, responsible for your own actions, and your actions at this point in your life will define you and shape the rest of your life. Actions spring from conviction — or as religious people would put it — works are tied to faith.

Will Obama’s speech be liberal? If so, he will stress the community aspect of education, and in doing so, will give each kid an excuse to blame others for failure. We don’t know.

I’m betting his speech will match President Bush’s in one particular — there will be a call to action — a reminder to the students that they can make a difference by their actions. It is the nature of the action he will request which will either make his speech great or petty.

We shall see.

unclesmrgol on September 6, 2009 at 1:24 AM

I have a hard time keeping track…..Is getting “silly” worse than being “all wee-wee’d up”, or not quite as bad? It’d be nice to have a sort of “threat level” type chart so we know where on the annoyance scale Barry is with the populace

Fed45 on September 6, 2009 at 2:35 AM

The Department of Education is responsible for this ordeal. They thought up their lesson plan, on how the kiddies could best serve their Ruler.

Mark was here on September 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Debate over. We win!

gopmom on September 6, 2009 at 8:25 AM

Fox News has interviewed several Moms against this “act” of Obama’s.

The overlying message…..TRUST….they do not TRUST HIM.

Lady this a.m. said she had HOPE and now no longer TRUSTS HIM.

Again, it is like Sarah’s twitter…there were death commissions*still are, in the health bill, but he said NO for three weeks, after Sarah’s twitter, they said we have taken them OUT…How can something that was not there be taken out.
O was going to indoctrinate until the public got a hold of his worksheets, etc.
so then the non existent propaganda was again removed. How stupid do they think we are…..we all know the answer

nondhimmie on September 6, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Yesss; Mmmmelloooowww ouuutt; Youuuu arrrrre gettinnnng sleeeepyyyy; Youuu mussst beliiieeevve!!!!

Cybergeezer on September 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM

It should come as no surprise to Obama that if he insists on bypassing the process of nominating political appointments with confirmation by the Senate in lieu of hiring a bunch of “czars” that they would get their “confirmation hearings” on Talk Radio, Cable News, and the Blogosphere.

pyrodoctor on September 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM

It’s not just the speech, which by now has been thoroughly scrubbed clean, it’s what comes after it. Teachers have hand outs for the students designed by the Education dept in DC. If a student refuses to participate by writing an essay, will they get a failing grade? Parents need to be vigilant about the followup to the speech.

Kissmygrits on September 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I really could care less what some commentator thinks of the fact that I didn’t let my son watch Obama’s Speech. They’re not his or Obama’s kids.

They’re mine. I pay their bills. I raise them. I listen to my sons when they’re upset, and I … am… the parent.

They can butt out.