Victim of attack at MoveOn vigil speaks: “He ate my finger”

posted at 7:45 pm on September 3, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler. I don’t know if it’s because Rice is doped up on painkillers or if he’s just naturally serene, but he’s shockingly chill about what happened. No lawsuit, no regrets about showing up (“freedom isn’t free”), and when Cavuto asks him how losing a finger will change his life, all he can say is, “I guess I’ll have to take different piano lessons or something.”

Here’s a photo of the alleged attacker; I’m afraid to ask whether he swallowed or not. Exit non sequitur: When Rice says “He ate my finger,” I felt like Nicolas Cage at the beginning of “Raising Arizona” listening to his convict pal. “You ate what? You ate sand?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Welcome to HotAir, Good4Onan.

This guy is lucky that he only lost a finger and not his life.

Good4Onan on September 4, 2009 at 12:52 PM

How so?

RD on September 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM

$1000 says NO conviction.
Good4Onan on September 4, 2009 at 3:18 PM

What do charges and/or a conviction necessarily have to do with whether or not there is a case (the denial of which is the reason you’re funny, BTW)? A corrupt political order may very well refuse to hear a case that has the merits to go forward, by showing judgment and rationales similar to your own.

RD on September 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM

How so?

RD on September 4, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Greetings RD. The guy is lucky in the sense that the situation didn’t further escalate in violence. If someone is willing to bite off a finger, what else do you suppose they would have been willing to do given the circumstances?

I was attending an event last year that was crashed by members of the Westborough Church; the fine christian organization that has a penchant for caustic confrontation. When a church member decided that words were not enough to make the case for christianity, he sucker punched my colleague. Not to be outdone, my colleague returned fire, 1 punch, causing the Westborough member’s eyesocket and surrounding bone to shatter. The perpetual pain and debilitating facility that accompanies such an injury will serve this person as a reminder of the risks associated with being the alpha male in the group. Those were the words of the Deputy DA when asked if formal charges would be brought against my colleague…none ever was. The point is, protest all you like for whatever cause you wish. However, strike another person and prepare to take the game up a notch. And, especially, don’t go on Faux News crying about how the other person is “deranged” when you obviously couldn’t handle what you started.

Good4Onan on September 4, 2009 at 5:00 PM

RD on September 4, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Ventura police have stated that no warrant will be issued and that the biter is merely a person of interest meaning the police want to account for his side of the story. Since the “puncher” has already admitted to being the physical instigator and that the bite was a result of his fist landing in the victim’s mouth, I don’t think you’ll be seeing this case on the People’s Court anytime soon. No case means simply no grounds for legitimate prosecution and not some individual’s biased perception although that most certainly is an issue as well. And, I’m sure if you try hard enough, you’ll discover prosectors that actually think like you as well.

Good4Onan on September 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM

If you mean Fred Phelps’ group, they are NOT Christians and NOT a church. They are a group of rabble-rousers, nothing more. These are the scumbags who picket soldiers’ funerals, carry those “God Hates F*gs” banners, etc. Nothing Christian about them at all.

You know what I say? I say, good for your colleague! If anyone ever deserved to be sucker-punched, it’s those evil clowns. God knows who Fred Phelps and his ilk are:

21″Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ [Matthew 7:21-23 (NIV)]

Mary in LA on September 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM

To reemphasize the point: Not everyone who calls himself a Christian is one. I could call myself a racehorse, but I wouldn’t be able to run the Kentucky Derby in 2:02 3/5.

Mary in LA on September 4, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Mary in LA on September 4, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Well they call themselves christians and their church is named the Westboro BAPTIST Church. They quote scripture on their website and they currently hold a 501c3 exemption from the IRS given to religious organizations. Now they may not be the type of christian you are but to others (like me) it’s just another hue of the silliness that goes with organized religion. By the way, I appreciate your support for my colleague and I agree. Some people just need a good beating…others need their fingers chewed off.

Good4Onan on September 4, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Well they call themselves christians

As I said, not everyone who calls himself a “Christian” is one. Here’s Matthew again on the subject: 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

Mary in LA on September 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Gotta love it when about the only empirical evidence a leftist can give in support of a conclusion is “I’m right and you’re wrong.” For the dude who claims to be a talisman for the second son Judah, by your logic re Phelps, if my neighbor claims to be an alien from outer space, my response should be: “That’s interesting? Which planet do you come from?” Maybe a short investment of your time to study what Christianity actually is, since a lot of good hearted people profess the faith, might do you some good. After all, we’re supposed to learn about and respect other cultures, right?

boqueronman on September 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Good4Onan on September 4, 2009 at 5:10 PM

The Rules say that, “All trolls are stupid” and you prove the rule.

If you come at someone in a threatening manner–causing a reasonable person to believe that he will be hit or grabbed–you have committed assault. Your ‘first punch’ theory is as full of crap as you are.

If someone assaults me, I have the right to use physical force to protect myself–I DO NOT NEED TO WAIT UNTIL I AM ACTUALLY HIT OR GRABBED TO DEFEND MYSELF.

Your comment about people needing ‘their fingers chewed off’ also says a lot about you: Stupid and faux-tough

Janos Hunyadi on September 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM

OBTW, I don’t think anyone *needs* their fingers chewed off. Not even criminals. They may *deserve* fines, jail time, or execution, depending on the crime, but we would correctly call it cruel and unusual punishment even if Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy were the finger-chewee.

Mary in LA on September 4, 2009 at 6:46 PM