Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on September 3, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama’s effort to reach out to the nation’s students got big play on the Department of Education website.  Unfortunately, it looks like the Department of Education needs a remedial course in spelling:

Delivers a national address to whom?

The nation’s schoochildren.  Schoochildren?  Does the White House need a Spelling Czar?  (h/t HA reader Monica S)

Update: Reader Brennan points out that this misspelling originated with the White House:

Which is why it belongs in the Obamateurism files.  Thanks, Brennan!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I guess that desperate times require desperate measures. Comrade Barry says he never sweats………lying POS.

joe btfsplk on September 3, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Purrfect!

ncjetsfan on September 3, 2009 at 9:28 AM

OBQuiet on September 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM

This is another one of those, what if Bush had done that situations.

TXMomof3 on September 3, 2009 at 9:29 AM

shmoochildren would be the best

tomg51 on September 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM

But I’m from New York. When I mentioned this speech to my wife, her immediate reaction was that Obama wasn’t looking at the calendar: the New York City schools, public and private, aren’t even in session yet the day after Labor Day. Obama’s effort to roll this into a massive PR blitz with the following day’s health care speech to a joint session of Congress will fail in my neck of the woods because nobody paid attention to the school calendar.

I suspect Obama rushed to coincide the speech with a Bill Gates-produced back to school education documentary that Obama will be appearing on the same evening on a battery of cable channels (because really, what Obama needs is more press). But either way, I’ll be keeping my kids home September 8 from their (Catholic) school – because they don’t have school anyway.

Wonderful bit from Redstate. Dept. of Education can’t spell and can’t read a calendar.

Same thing here. Archdiocese schools start on Wednesday. (Don’t know if they’d show this, anyway). Philly schools will be in session.

Wethal on September 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Ed you racist.
That’s ebonics.

max1 on September 3, 2009 at 9:41 AM

This is so bush league (no pun intended) Go to the Dept. of Ed site now and they’ve corrected the headline … BUT THEY FAIL TO MATCH THE FORMATTING OF THEIR OTHER RELEASES ABOVE AND BELOW (which are all caps, the corrected hed is Upper and Lower case)
EEdjuts!

max1 on September 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I noticed that yesterday too. But I’ve been noticing an appalling amount of typo’s in journalism these days. People are depending too much on spellcheck and not proofreading their work.

ctmom on September 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Apparently the ED.gov website is the product of contemporary public education.

petefrt on September 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Now you’ve done it. You’ve crushed a bureaucrat’s self esteem over a typographical error.

Fletch54 on September 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM

I cant wait til maff class

Tremmy on September 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Ewww..perhaps federal edjewkashun wil start two ware off on hour kidz if wee let dem spek to dem

Jeff from WI on September 3, 2009 at 10:00 AM

ctmom on September 3, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I wonder about that. Because there was some experiment where as long as the first couple and last couple of letters were right people tend to insert the correct word when reading. So I can imagine that those who proof read, if they did proofread, this piece had that kind of moment. It happens to me all the time, even if I give it to other people. I always found that odd and quirky about us.

xax on September 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I’ve often wondered if TOTUS is actually written in Ebonics for Obama and he mentally converts it into recognizable English.

Jeff from WI on September 3, 2009 at 9:18 AM

You call that crap he does recognizable English? Have you not noticed that he has trouble stringing a sentance together without saying “uh” about every other word? And what is it with his long run on sentances? Some of his speeches can last for an hour and if you listen to how he say things like, “and so”, “uh”, “so”, and similar words to replace periods, you will see that the whole speech may only be two or three sentances. You probably got called on that somewhere about 4th grade.

MikeA on September 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM

“schoochirren” from your affirmative action prsident…

enoughalready on September 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM

On Tuesday we’ll already be 4 weeks into our semester, but still no word from the PTBs about this.

Bob's Kid on September 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM

MikeA on September 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM

LOL…Mike, I grew up with a Catholic School education. If you said um reading something Sister Mary Elephant would crack you on the arm/head with her 10′ long pointer.

Jeff from WI on September 3, 2009 at 10:09 AM

schoochildren and a wee wee up goverment.

Falz on September 3, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Schoochildren? Does the White House need a Spelling Czar? (h/t HA reader Monica S)

That’s probably what the problem is, there probably is a Czar somewhere in there.

4shoes on September 3, 2009 at 10:31 AM

COP OUT FROM LOCAL ISD

News Review
Classes may show Presidential Address
Posted Date: 9/2/2009
President Barack Obama announced that on Sept. 8 he will deliver a national address directly to students on the importance of education. The President will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals and take responsibility for their learning. He will also call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child receives the best education possible so they can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizens. It is not required that schools show the address, however, Round Rock ISD is treating this like any other national news event, such as an election or shuttle launch, and allowing individual teachers to determine if their class will view the speech if it aligns to the curriculum and is timely. Any parent who objects to their child viewing the Presidential Address can request that they be excused from the activity by contacting their child’s teacher or campus.
Home | About RRISD | Students/Parents | Schools | Academics | Student Services
1311 Round Rock Avenue | Round Rock, TX 78681 | Phone: 512.464.5000
© 2009 Round Rock Independent School District. All Rights Reserved.
Equal Opportunity Employer | Privacy Policy & User Agreement | RSS Feeds
Website Developed with Vision Internet

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Oh, and a bit OT, but, the 8th is the first day of school for my kids, my husband nixed the idea of keeping them home. He did lose the bet we’d made though. I stated that never in my lifetime has a president intruded a speech into the public schools. Unfortunately I didn’t wager on the kids staying home that day if I won.

4shoes on September 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I grew up in PG County, Md. I don’t see no errors.

Rambotito on September 3, 2009 at 8:16 AM
I started school in PG County and my parents even stayed when the court order resulted in 50% of the school population coming from the ghetto (and 50% of the neighborhood having to go to the ghetto for “schoo”). The tipping point for my parents was the PTA debate over whether including Frosty the Snowman in Christmas celebaraionss is racist because Frosty is white (I’m not kidding).

highhopes on September 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM

Oh, my! It is good to see that there are so many PG alums that made it out and actually succeeded. There are a few good students and teachers in PG County.
I had just gotten out of the classroom and in to the library when PG started bussing children all over the county for no good reason. There were teachers in my new school that had Santa Claus colored black and the same with Mickey Mouse. Frosty doesn’t surprise me at all. This was back in the 70′s. It was pretty horrifying then, as it is to this day.
I could go on and on about ebonics and the “new thinking” we had to endure at faculty meetings.

BetseyRoss on September 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM

He is screwing up enough stuff on his own without adding these.

OBQuiet on September 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Actually these can be important. They are a symptom of the way the Obama administration operates.

The bar has been set so low by the POTUS, acting as an example for Federal employees, that this may become the norm. You know, things like shirt sleeves in the Oval
Office, feet on the desk in the Oval Office, and on, and on.

Yoop on September 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Obama has a wee wee.

Maquis on September 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Frosty doesn’t surprise me at all. This was back in the 70’s. It was pretty horrifying then, as it is to this day.

BetseyRoss on September 3, 2009 at 10:44 AM

What’s really horrifying is the utter lack of preparation before the bussing started. My elementary school suddenly had all sorts of inner-city problems it had never dealt with before including 3rd graders smoking in the restrooms. I could go on and on about the clash of cultures but you already know what I am talking about since you mentioned the heated debate over the color of Santa.

I remain convinced that court-ordered bussing did more harm to PG county than it helped. Before bussing, my school was about 95% white. After bussing (and the white flight) my school became about 95% black. The whole point was diversity and it failed on that score.

highhopes on September 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Because its all in caps, I didn’t notice it until it was pointed out.
Well…okay…maybe I wouldn’t have noticed it anyway…

Count to 10 on September 3, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Obama is has a wee wee.

Maquis on September 3, 2009 at 11:10 AM

FIFY

ladyingray on September 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Home | About RRISD | Students/Parents | Schools | Academics | Student Services
1311 Round Rock Avenue | Round Rock, TX 78681 | Phone: 512.464.5000
© 2009 Round Rock Independent School District. All Rights Reserved.
Equal Opportunity Employer | Privacy Policy & User Agreement | RSS Feeds
Website Developed with Vision Internet

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 3, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Thank you for that info! I think I’ll do that.

4shoes on September 3, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Hey, spelling is sooo last century. It’s way more important now to know that the Founders borked their female slaves and the white man was just oh-so-mean to everyone else. Oh, and how to put a condom on a zucchini.

infidel4life on September 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Dumbass don’t even know it’s spelt, “schoochillens.”

DrZin on September 3, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I grew up in PG County, Md. I don’t see no errors.

Rambotito on September 3, 2009 at 8:16 AM

highhopes on September 3, 2009 at 8:40 AM

I just read this, I also went to PG county in the early 70′s. The reason we finally left was my parents separated.

Highhopes, that’s interesting about the bussing. My dad says that parents themselves were bringing their kids from DC.

4shoes on September 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM

schoo you guys, I’m goin’ home.

hawksruleva on September 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM

No, that should be Shoo, children!

Steve Z on September 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM

4shoes on September 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM

That’s probably true too. The school I attended was arbitrarily split in half with 50% of our school bussed to just the Maryland side of the DC border and half of that school bussed out to my school. It was an unacceptalble situation for everybody. The bus ride took 45 minutes and any attempt at education was thwarted by the chaos of clashing cultures. When white flight occured the primary home buyers were families whose kids where already in the school but taking the bus. Within 5 years the entire school was 95% black instead of 95% white which utterly defeated the point of bussing in the first place.

highhopes on September 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM

highhopes on September 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Sounds exactly like our school and neighborhood. We were one of maybe 3-4 white families left in our neighborhood. I was in a lot of fights, and I was the smallest girl in my class! It was rough.

4shoes on September 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM

just making sure the schoochildren got schin in the game!

chickasaw42 on September 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM

I can’t believe you neocons are making a big deal about this.

Obviously, the “L” was dropped as a cost-savings measure. It’s a completely extraneous letter, and if we would all just stop using unnecessary letters in words, then we could pay for health care for all and even reduce the deficit.

Your old-fashioned adherence to outdated spelling standards is yet another reason the rethuglicans are obsolete.

kthx bai

malclave on September 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Fidel can talk for hours(did he have a wee wee cup?) bumma for a time. Da Kid needs to practice so he is gonna use your kids time.
Like totally awesome Dude,knowwhatimean.
I think a lot of kids will ask to use the rest room pass.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM

From DRUDGE.
Christina Erland Culver, former deputy assistant secretary for education, said presidents have traditionally addressed classrooms on the first day of school, but the problem with the event was the accompanying materials from the Department of Education.

“That’s where they kind of got into a slippery spot. Federal statute denies any authority to the Department of Education to provide any kind of curriculum or anything that can be passed down to the state, and that’s part of the statute forming the Department of Education. So they kinda got themselves into this mess because they didn’t really understand some of the key legal roles or the dos and don’ts at the federal Department of Ed,” she said.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Ed has his own Department?

Allahpundit’s gonna be SO jealous.

malclave on September 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM

There has been quite a bit of media attention recently over President Obama’s address to school students on September 8, 2009. I am sending this message home to inform you about North East ISD’s position on this.

To avoid a disruption to the school day and loss of academic time, NEISD will provide the President’s address for families to watch at home if they so choose. The district will tape the speech and provide a link through the district’s Parent Portal.

The decision to record the speech and make it available on our Web site is for logistics and convenience purposes. I realize the highly-charged political environment is in the news, but quite frankly, many students will be at lunch, P.E. and other activities outside the classroom during the original broadcast.

Regardless of political party, adults should model respect for the office of the President of the United States.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Sincerely,

Richard A. Middleton

Superintendent of Schools

Most Schools here in San Antonio won’t be disrupting the existing school schedule.. Apparently, the Obamteurs at the White House forgot to check with the school administrators first..

This looks to be another EPIC FAIL..

LightmanSA on September 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Perhaps another Obamateurism, from Henry Percy @ American Thinker about “our magniloquent Orator-in-Chief”.

Henry Percy: Obama mixes metaphors in banal Kennedy eulogy

President Obama, he of the soaring rhetoric, needs to give his speech writers a day off now and then. He’s obviously been working them to death.

Consider his eulogy for Senator Kennedy.

“While he was seen by his fiercest critics as a partisan lightning rod, that is not the prism through which Ted Kennedy saw the world, nor was it the prism through which his colleagues saw him.”

How do you like your metaphors? Mixed? Teddy did not see the world through the prism of a lightning rod? I should hope not — unless he was exceptionally pixilated.

Setting aside the horribly mangled metaphors, the sentence translates into intelligible English thusly: “Ted and his friends did not see the world as his critics do.” Talk about banal: Who sees the world as his critics do? Such embarrassing prose in an undergraduate’s paper would be covered with red ink, yet our magniloquent Orator-in-Chief reads this stuff without blushing. Does Obama even know what he is reading from those ubiquitous teleprompters?

American Thinker is rarely so succinct. Short and sweet.

maverick muse on September 3, 2009 at 9:00 PM