Obama penned 2nd letter to Khamenei: Iranian state media; Update: WH won’t confirm or deny

posted at 11:38 am on September 2, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Early in his presidency, Barack Obama sent a letter to Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of Iran, in an attempt to open dialogue between the two nations.  Obama also sent a Nowruz greeting to the Iranian people, and dragged his feet on condemning Khamenei’s suppression of dissent in the wake of a badly-rigged election.  Through it all, Iran has remained as intransigent as ever.

If at once you don’t succeed, try, try again:

US President Barack Obama has reportedly sent his second direct message to Iran’s leading authority, the Leader of the Islamic Republic Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Tabnak, a semi-official Iranian news service, on Wednesday said the country’s most prominent political figure has received a second letter, but did not mention the exact date the correspondence had reached Tehran.

Interestingly, Obama has once again bypassed Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.  This time that seems almost a requirement, but he did the same with his earlier letter, apparently received in the spring, according to this report.  Khamenei makes the big decisions, so it makes sense, and we have the satisfaction of giving Ahmadinejad that diplomatic snub.

The Iranian report also says that Khamenei responded with “argumentation,” which sounds like a diplomatic way of saying rejection.  If so, that would explain why the White House didn’t publicize it.  What exactly did Obama propose, and what exactly did Khamenei reject?  Shouldn’t that be part of the dialogue about what to do with Iran now?

That also raises the question of what Obama says in the new letter.  Did he make concessions based on Khamenei’s earlier response?  Or did Obama figure that Khamenei might be more pliable after having a worse summer than even Obama did? (h/t HA reader Damian A)

Update: Jake Tapper can’t get a comment out of the White House on this story.

Comments

What are they,,, buddies?

jake-the-goose on September 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

That also raises the question of what Obama says in the new letter.

It started with “Now that was a robust debate…”

lorien1973 on September 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I don’t trust this man enough to have him negotiating things with rogue nations on my behalf. I want someone making decisions based on what is best for our nation.

TXMomof3 on September 2, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Proving once again that Barak Obama never met a dictator he didn’t like.

logis on September 2, 2009 at 11:43 AM

What’s in the letter?

If he’s selling us out I want to know the terms of surrender.

fogw on September 2, 2009 at 11:43 AM

EPIC FAIL of a megalomaniacal narcissist. Barry, they just aren’t that into you.

marklmail on September 2, 2009 at 11:44 AM

“I Like You. Do You Like Me? Yes [] No []” — Barry

txhsdad on September 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Dear Ali,

Wish you where here in Martha’s Vineyard. I’d even put on a burgua on Martha if you would come and hang out with me. Anyhoots. I am having a hard time with this socializing healthcare in the United American Emirates. I was wondering if you could make it look like you have frozen your nuke program so I can get the conservative freeks off my back.

Mamnoon,

President Obama

WashJeff on September 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Its Ramadan

Heeeeeeeeeeere’s Obamadan

bluegrass on September 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

He should have sent flowers with the letter.

maminov on September 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Maybe it was just a “Happy Ramadan” Card?

kingsjester on September 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM

The letter:

“Dear Supreme Leader:

Like you, I have been dealing with dissenters who do not understand that I know what is best for them. I have seen with admiration just how firmly you deal with those who seek to undermine your vision for your country. I would like to send some of my friends from ACORN and SEIU over to Tehran in order to study the tactics of your “unofficial” security forces.”

Yours in Allah,
Dear Leader Obama.

rbj on September 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Did he send flowers with the letter?

That could have made the difference.

maminov on September 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

He probably apologized for being so inept at getting America
to adopt Marxist policy.

fourdeucer on September 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Wonder if Hillary! is feeling a little left out?

GarandFan on September 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Dear Supreme Leader,

I understand that the girl Neda, who was shot in the heart, was a Christian, therefor your supression of protests by people in her camp, in order to preserve Islam, can somewhat be understood, but please do it beyond the view of cell phone cameras in the future.

It makes me look ineffectual…”

profitsbeard on September 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM

but did not mention the exact date the correspondence had reached Tehran.

The Post Office is so slow.

faraway on September 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM

That also raises the question of what Obama says in the new letter.

Hopefully the words ‘we surrender’ aren’t in it.

Vashta.Nerada on September 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Cool…letter writing contest is afoot.

WashJeff on September 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM

rbj on September 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Like the letter. Beware of men in pruple burquas

WashJeff on September 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM

“I Like You. Do You Like Me? Yes [] No []” — Barry

txhsdad on September 2, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Can’t really top that in terms of rapier wit.

Vashta.Nerada on September 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Islam is deemed one of the world’s great religions by the Kenyan. Beer Summit II is afoot.

Fletch54 on September 2, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Pen Pals!!!

Cool Beans/

Knucklehead on September 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Dear Ali Khamenei,
My domestic policy is on the ropes so maybe I should extend my September deadline for greater sanctions to sometime in the future.

fourdeucer on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Was it in a perfumed envelope?

Limerick on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

“Do you love me?”

check

ted c on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

***
The APOLOGY TOUR continues by letter. If only we kiss enough B**T they will stop hating us and like us–and will stop killing us.
***
The NEVILLE CHAMBERLAIN approach worked out so well prior to WW2–when it convinced Hitler to stop his planned aggressions.
***
Jimmy Carter II is here–on steroids. And the thousands of centrifuges are spinning away making the fissile uranium isotope needed for A-bombs. And a reactor is probably making the plutonium element needed for the other type of nuke. Coming soon to an American city near you.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

izoneguy on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Dear Supreme Leader,

The Israel’s are planning their attack on the night of…..please make appropriate preperations.

Sincerely,

B

tatersalad on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

“Hey spike, hey spike, we still friends ain’t we spike…?”

didja see that bow I gave to the brother from Saudi? Man, if I give him that much respek, just think of what I’ll give you?

you know that Israel thing we mentioned….? No worries, g’head, g’head… Shhh, just between us tho’, K?

b’rack

ted c on September 2, 2009 at 12:00 PM

“Supreme Leader, which left fewer bruises on your dissenters? Nightsticks or rubber bullets? I think we have a good supply of rubber bullets but I’ll have Rahm check on that?”

By the way, what’s up with all those YouTube videos that keep cropping up over there? I might be able to scrape up a few $billion to build a few “camps”….

Remind me the next time we talk to show you my “crisis-FEMA response-mass displacement-FEMA camp internment plan”

Ok?

Inshallah

BO

ted c on September 2, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I hate to say this, but……..The Messiah is now totally irrelevant in this Iranian Nuke Mess. Cheney was correct to blast Bush for not having the stones to take care of the Mullahs with nice hot “CARE” packages. But our life-long friends in Israel are now putting 42 cent stamps on the Bunker Busters and they will soon be postmarked “Iran” ….end of problem.

Cinday Blackburn on September 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM

That also raises the question of what Obama says in the new letter. Did he make concessions based on Khamenei’s earlier response? Or did Obama figure that Khamenei might be more pliable after having a worse summer than even Obama did?

I’ll take door #1, only Obama doesn’t know what “unconditional surrender” is.

steveegg on September 2, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Dear Supreme Leader:

I did as I promised and approved the release of the Muslim freedom fighter being unjustifiably imprisoned in Scotland for allegedly interfering in a flight over Lockerbie.

Now, it is your turn. So, please, please, please announce that you will meet with me in person. That’s all I’m asking.

Have a wonderful and happy Ramadan.

Yours truly,

B. Hussein Obama

TXUS on September 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Dear Ali,

Please don’t nuke us.

Your friend,
Barry

petefrt on September 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Dear Ali,

I’ll give you Alaska if you’ll promise not to nuke us until after 2012.

Your friend,
Barry

petefrt on September 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM

What are they,,, buddies?

jake-the-goose on September 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM

No, they are 2 peas in a pod. Obama has to bow to the ultra-religious figure of Iran since he is a muslim.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on September 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Cinday Blackburn on September 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM
Wouldn’t it be nice when Ahmadinejad returns from the UN summit he finds huge craters where the nuclear plants used to be?

fourdeucer on September 2, 2009 at 12:13 PM

“What should I do?!?!?!?!”

Chuck Schick on September 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Great- Obama has an international pen pal now.
Man, do I feel safe!!!

SmallGovtGuy on September 2, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Ali:
If you’re going to nuke us, please wait till I’m on vacation.
B.

ted c on September 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM

We have to conclude it was recent, as the Pres. wants to model the health service on the post office. In that case, why is the Pres. repeatedly giving legitimacy to a regime which just rigged an election, and brutally put down peaceful civilian protests? President Obama needs to make his opinions about Iran, it’s government, and it’s nuclear program clear to the Am. people. Until he does so, I’ll consider Obama an adversary on this topic as well.

JiangxiDad on September 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice when Ahmadinejad returns from the UN summit it creates a crater where the nuclear plants used to be?

fourdeucer on September 2, 2009 at 12:13 PM

2 for 1 special.

WashJeff on September 2, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Keeping Our Facts Straight

In the review to the Ramadan dinner thread yesterday, I wrote that I believed that the soiree was some sort of evidence of The One’s religion. I then tied it to my birther leanings. Well, I was, and am, fully aware that numerous people have such dinners and, further, that President Bush hosted something like that in 2005.

I try to sound informed and sane since everyone belittles or outright insults those with birther questions. This is usually done with the same ‘yahoo’ stereotypes used on conservatives and southern whites.

Anyway, in the post about the dinner I was trying to be funny. Only clowns like Colbert and Letterman can act dumb with the recognition by their audience that you shouldn’t make antiliberal conclusions because of their silly or specious arguments. Unconventional conservatives never get that pass.

IlikedAUH2O on September 2, 2009 at 12:17 PM

i give ya a pass.

ted c on September 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Palin would simply put a couple words on Facebook “Suck it”

faraway on September 2, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Aww, unrequited love.

Sorry, Barry, seems he’s just not that into you.

red winger on September 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Dear Supreme Leader Khamenei:

Could you shoot me a copy of your manual for rigging elections? I have one coming up in 2012, and I’d like to get a head start on making sure I get the “correct” outcome. I already have some experience in this regard, but I greatly admired the advanced tactics your people used in your last national election, and I’d very much like to get my people fully trained to use those same tactics here. Your success has been so inspiring.

Thanks in advance.

Yours in Allah,
B. Hussein Obama
(Leader of one of the world’s Largest Muslim Nations)

AZCoyote on September 2, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I can only imagine what THE ONE said in his letter…

“Oh all powerful and mighty supreme leader, please oh please can we be friends! I am very, very sorry for how terribly America has treated such a fine and upstanding nation as Iran.”

“I promise we will be much nicer from now on so please accept my outreached hand and join us for Friday prayers where we will all hold hands and sing koom-baya.”

Sincerely and with a respectfully deep bow,

THE ONE

P.S. Remember I’m a Muslim too so please don’t nuke us!

Liberty or Death on September 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Yet another disturbing play by the “never done anything of substance” White House. Beck should put together an overall ideology profile of Obama. I think it would frame this freak so everyone could get a handle on who he is. Foreign Policy, Domestic, Fiscal, Tax, Social, etc. Frame this radical so everyone can see how OUT OF TOUCH he is with America.

marklmail on September 2, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Dear Pen Pal,

How are you? I am fine. How about not nuking us, pretty please?

XOXOXO,

Barry

NoDonkey on September 2, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Dear Ali,

Thanks for the fruit basket. Having fun here at camp, playing golf and fishing. Do you golf? Stay out of those sand traps LOL. Write soon.

Love,
Barry

PS: Michelle sends her best. Tell Mrs. Supreme Leader I said hi.

tommuck on September 2, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Dear Ali,

This summer we got a dog, watched a grassroots movement swell against me, and I even got to go to camp.

I hope you had a great summer too.

PS. come over some time and we can play.

Love,

Barry.

jhffmn on September 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM

The Iranian report also says that Khamenei responded with “argumentation,” which sounds like a diplomatic way of saying rejection. If so, that would explain why the White House didn’t publicize it.

So much for being Transparent!

LMAO

BigMike252 on September 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM

It’s back to Community Organizing 101 for you, Barry.

petefrt on September 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM

What’s wrong with this? I mean Catholics send letters to the Pope.

/Grow Fins

- The Cat

MirCat on September 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Early in his presidency, Barack Obama sent a letter to Ali Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of Iran, in an attempt to open dialogue between the two nations. Obama also sent a Nowruz greeting to the Iranian people, and dragged his feet on condemning Khamenei’s suppression of dissent in the wake of a badly-rigged election. Through it all, Iran has remained as intransigent as ever.

Intransigent as ever? Really?

TEHRAN – Supreme National Security Council Secretary Saeed Jalili announced here on Tuesday that Tehran has prepared an updated package of proposals for the nuclear talks with the 5+1 group.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran… is ready for cooperation to address shared concerns in the international arena,” Jalili told reporters in Tehran.

No, progress is being made. Is it speedy? Nope. Is it guaranteed to succeed? Of course not. But there is progress. To claim otherwise is to deny reality.

orange on September 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM

“Hello Mullah…

Hello Fatwah…

Here I am at Camp Obama”

Ali: like it so far?

Drop me a line, bro!

God’s partner (and I don’t mean Allah),

Bamster
p.s. I can see Chappaquiddick from my front porch

Sweet_Thang on September 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

The true spirit of Zero’s letter towards fanatical Islam is symbolized by the way he has dotted his “i”s and “j”s with little hearts.

viking01 on September 2, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Sweet_Thang on September 2, 2009 at 2:20 PM

*spews ice tea all over screen*

THAT was funny.

mimi1220 on September 2, 2009 at 3:05 PM

From the comments:

Dear Sirs:

The Israelis are coming!
The Israelis as coming!

Sincerely,

Barack Hussein Obama

Guardian on September 2, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Frightening to imagine what loose-y goosey talk and sweet nothings Obama is whispering to his boy toy Khamenei. Maybe it’s covering Iran’s populace with universal health insurance paid for by the US taxpayers? Maybe it’s getting Iran on board for the US sellout of Israel before the UN next month?
If Bush II were having secret negotiations and sending out letters to either NK or Iran the media would have gotten those letters in a trice and published them on the front pages of the NYSlimes and WashCompost. The fact the media isn’t doing it says alot about how damaging those letters must be to Obama.

eaglewingz08 on September 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM

What the hell is there to say?

Terrye on September 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Hi, my name is Barack Hussein Obama. I am the President of the Great Satan. Like you, I think America sucks…etc. etc

Terrye on September 2, 2009 at 6:03 PM

…and we have the satisfaction of giving Ahmadinejad that diplomatic snub

Holy half-full glass, Batman!

At least we have the satisfaction of seeing our president make a fool of himself kowtowing to a blood-drenched monster.

Was it in a perfumed envelope?

Limerick on September 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM